Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If LAB shifts a notch on Brexit and backs a CON rebel Commons

1235»

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920
    Potentially good news for the Dems in Missouri

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43164741
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,881
    My MP3 player is on the blink, so this morning I was forced to listen to an old analogue radio during a walk. R4 was on, and Jeremy Hunt was being interviewed about the news that many people may be dying from the NHS making errors wrt patients' drugs.

This is a very serious and emotive issue, and he played an utterly straight bat against an interviewer who was trying somewhat desperately to make him say something that would be a story on the issue (in the end, they went with an EU quote).

I've never particularly rated him, or complimented him on here, but he handled the interview about drug errors very well. He seemed to know what he was talking about, was not keen to put the blame down to one 'easy' factor, and was calm and focused.

He was impressive. He may not be PM material, but that interview showed some aspects of what we need a PM to be.

(Or perhaps it was the fact I was walking towards Stowe School, and therefore I was more receptive to posh boys).
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited February 2018

My MP3 player is on the blink, so this morning I was forced to listen to an old analogue radio during a walk. R4 was on, and Jeremy Hunt was being interviewed about the news that many people may be dying from the NHS making errors wrt patients' drugs.

This is a very serious and emotive issue, and he played an utterly straight bat against an interviewer who was trying somewhat desperately to make him say something that would be a story on the issue (in the end, they went with an EU quote).

I've never particularly rated him, or complimented him on here, but he handled the interview about drug errors very well. He seemed to know what he was talking about, was not keen to put the blame down to one 'easy' factor, and was calm and focused.

He was impressive. He may not be PM material, but that interview showed some aspects of what we need a PM to be.

(Or perhaps it was the fact I was walking towards Stowe School, and therefore I was more receptive to posh boys).

What's an MP3 player? Are they like the Lib Dems?
  • Options
    On another totally random point: I've passed two public schools in the last week whilst walking, and both had very visible security guards by their entrances. I swear I've not seen this before, either at my schools or anywhere else. Is this a new thing?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920

What's wrong with your smartphone?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899

TGOHF said:
    This is David Coburn’s moment.
    It's not over till the fat lady sings.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    RoyalBlue said:

Elliot said:

Think tank the Quillam Foundation, which focuses on counter-extremism, said 84% of the 264 offenders convicted of grooming between 2005 and 2017 were of south Asian heritage.

Mr Spicer said the perpetrator he spoke to "displayed no regret" and "spoke in a derogatory manner about a lack of morals in British girls".

Odd that they have no problem with their own morals - being molesters, rapists, abusers, etc.

Other peoples's morals are obviously more important ...
    What they mean by "lack of morals" is "not Muslim". I grew up in the Muslim community. While most Muslims are decent, kind-hearted people, there is an Islam nationalistic subset that regards non-Muslim girls as "kuffar scum". They do not dress modestly, showing their arms, legs, hair etc so deserve what they get. Often they will justify it by referring to how non-Muslim women were treated as sex slaves under the Rashidun Caliphs.
    I had never heard of the Rashidun Caliphs so I googled it. 632 - 611 AD????

That is their model of behaviour in the modern world? They need to wise up.

Having said, some christian sects and group could do with modernising too..
    The taxation policy of the Rashidun Caliphs sounds very similar to John McDonnell's:

Zakāt (زكاة) is the Islamic concept of luxury tax. It was taken from the Muslims in the amount of 2.5% of their dormant wealth (over a certain amount unused for a year) to give to the poor. Only persons whose annual wealth exceeded a minimum level (nisab) were collected from. The nisab does not include primary residence, primary transportation, moderate amount of woven jewelry, etc
    Kharaj was a tax on agricultural land.
    Ushr was a reciprocal 10% levy on agricultural land as well as merchandise imported from states that taxed the Muslims on their products.
    I’ve paid the Zakāt ever year since I was 22.

My mother insists on it.
    Diacritics over words transliterated into English, a language with no diacritics.

When did this become OK? It makes no sense to me.
    How do you mean, transliterated into English? The word remains an Arabic word, and what it is transliterated into is the Roman alphabet. Where does English come in to it?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:
    She is really dreaming if she thinks the Tories are preparing for Government , or else the Tories are more barking than I thought they were. Only preparations they take are as pocket fillers and sock puppets.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,284
    edited February 2018
    rcs1000 said:

Christ on a bike.

Just say it was a bit of BDSM gone wrong with a forgotten safe word.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,918
    rcs1000 said:

Oh wow, if that holds up.......
  • Options

What's an MP3 player?
    It's a cheap device that can be worn on my coat at all times, in all weathers, in the safe knowledge that if it gets damaged it doesn't matter. Compare and contrast with a friend, who is on his third new phone in a year - the previous two all having got ruined whilst out running. And all he does with it is listen to music.

This brings me onto one of my bugbears: as the technology progresses, it's getting less usable. I need an MP3 player with AA or AAA batteries, and nearly all the decent ones seem to have rechargeabes - which are of no use to me whilst I'm out on a trip. Whereas we could have an FM radio that ran for days off a battery, we now use a phone to get radio via t'Internet and it lasts only a few hours.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,918
    Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:
    Boltons squeeze looks reasonably svelte.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, that's a very good point on technology becoming more advanced but not necessarily doing the job better (and sometimes doing it worse). It reminds me of Kira explaining to Damar[sp] about why she preferred the rugged but simpler Cardassian guns to Federation phaser rifles.
  • Options
    Hmm. I think they will find that if anyone is going to be locked up it will be the man speaking...
  • Options

On another totally random point: I've passed two public schools in the last week whilst walking, and both had very visible security guards by their entrances. I swear I've not seen this before, either at my schools or anywhere else. Is this a new thing?

There are guards outside the only local comprehensive school I pass occasionally.
  • Options

What's an MP3 player?
    It's a cheap device that can be worn on my coat at all times, in all weathers, in the safe knowledge that if it gets damaged it doesn't matter. Compare and contrast with a friend, who is on his third new phone in a year - the previous two all having got ruined whilst out running. And all he does with it is listen to music.

This brings me onto one of my bugbears: as the technology progresses, it's getting less usable. I need an MP3 player with AA or AAA batteries, and nearly all the decent ones seem to have rechargeabes - which are of no use to me whilst I'm out on a trip. Whereas we could have an FM radio that ran for days off a battery, we now use a phone to get radio via t'Internet and it lasts only a few hours.
    I was teasing. I actually fully agree. I have a really old iCrap shuffle which I use in the gym.
  • Options

Mr. Jessop, that's a very good point on technology becoming more advanced but not necessarily doing the job better (and sometimes doing it worse). It reminds me of Kira explaining to Damar[sp] about why she preferred the rugged but simpler Cardassian guns to Federation phaser rifles.

We're heading towards jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none territory with tech. One device that does everything - make calls, go on t'Internet, make payments, take photos - but does none of them very well.
  • Options

Hmm. I think they will find that if anyone is going to be locked up it will be the man speaking...
    Perhaps they will adapt the chant..."DON'T LOCK HIM UP"....
  • Options
    In other news, another massive failure by the nationalised Network Rail. And this is the model Labour want us to follow for the rest of the industry? ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43168977
  • Options

NEW THREAD.

• Options
    Mr. Jessop, I have vague memories from some survival guide or other warning against that sort of thing when it came to knives with compasses and whatnot in the handles. A knife that is just a knife is the best knife, apparently.

As an aside, I have a camera, but, then, I don't have a mobile telephone.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578
    Scott_P said:
    Do any other car makers have their own Labour Party branches?

Anyway, what do they expect from an Ulster Prod?
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

Scott_P said:
    Do any other car makers have their own Labour Party branches?

Anyway, what do they expect from an Ulster Prod?
    I don’t think sectarian nicknames add much to this website.
This discussion has been closed.