Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn speech has made TMay’s Brexit challenge even harder

Comments

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2018

tpfkar said:

Bottom line is that the Tories are making Jeremy Corbyn - Jeremy Corbyn! - look pragmatic, moderate and business-friendly. How is that even possible?

It's interesting that he's not as fixed in his positions as everyone (allies and opponents alike) thought. He's evolved a good deal as leader from professional insurgent to potential PM, losing purity but gaining credibility.
    His 'purity' (which was always mythical, of course) is supposed to be his greatest strength, is it not?
    Ignoring the parenthetical bit, yes, but he's got plenty of scope to whittle that down in favour of showing ability to deal with hard compromises. Nobody who likes him is going to say "Corbyn, what a sellout" any time soon. It's like the Tories being more liberal on gay marriage - it doesn't make anyone really argue that they've turned into an LGBT front.
    It's a question of timing. He needs to try to hang on to the naive whilst edging towards those who have some grounding in reality, all without committing to any hard decisions. He's doing surprisingly well on that at the moment, helped enormously by the Tory chaos. Of course it's much easier when he's not close to an election, let alone in government, and ultimately it is doomed to failure because his policies are plainly bonkers, as the vast bulk of your former Labour MP colleagues would have freely admitted. The only question is whether voters can be conned long enough to get him into No 10.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, the Turkish model? Making us subject to the EU negotiating deals, whereby third party nations can enjoy benefits exporting to us (as per EU nations) but we do not enjoy the corresponding benefits exporting to them (unlike EU nations but like Turkey)?

It's almost as if staying in A/The/Ze/I Can't Believe It's Not The Customs Union is a bad idea.

I used the Turkish model because it is the most relevant case in this situation.

I expect ours would be more favourable given the difference in the economies of The UK and Turkey and relative importance of us to the EU27.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,543
    Anorak said:

Sean_F said:

Essexit said:

She won't be facing an entirely united Labour Party. There's the Labour Leavers plus Caroline Flint and other Brexit means Brexit Remainers. Tories flirting with the idea of rebelling night ask themselves if they really want to hand Jeremy Corbyn this victory.

Country before party.

A bad Brexit begets Corbyn as Prime Minister.

Soubry, Grieve et al are acting like true patriots.
    How does their proposed amendment assist us?
    Protects trade and the economy ensuring no disruption to trade.

It also solves the Irish Border question.
    No it doesn't. If you think that you really don't know what you are talking about.
    I have written reports from people who have worked, inter alia at the WTO, who say otherwise.

I know they are experts but I'll place more faith in their views than yours.
    Of course you will, even when you are being dishonest or foolish you cannot afford to concede any points - just like you couldn't with the idiocy you were pushing about PCSOs on the previous thread.

So.

How exactly does being in the Customs Union but not the SM ensure no disruption to trade? (here's a clue, it doesn't)

How exactly does being in the Customs Union but not the SM solve the Irish Border question? (here's another clue. It doesn't).

I hope whoever you were writing reports for will be trying to get their money back if that is the garbage you are writing.
    Let us use the Turkish model.

Do for non agricultural physical goods are there any customs restrictions between Turkey and The EU? Yes or No?
    Pfff. You and your 'facts' and your 'evidence'. Typical treacherous Euro-shill. What's wrong with a good, old-fashioned, proudly BRITISH baseless assertion, eh!
    :lol: And why bother with experts when you can fantasise, eh?!
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,905

Is there anything, other than a Customs Union, that will allow both frictionless trade between Ireland and NI, and between NI and Great Britain?

Unilaterally declaring free trade with the whole world a la Patrick Minford presumably would.
    But would probably be fairly disastrous for our industry in other ways...
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited February 2018
    rkrkrk said:

Is there anything, other than a Customs Union, that will allow both frictionless trade between Ireland and NI, and between NI and Great Britain?

Unilaterally declaring free trade with the whole world a la Patrick Minford presumably would.
    That supposes the Irish (i.e. the EU) would respond in kind. They wouldn't. They'd simply dump stuff on us and choose very carefully what to accept in return. As would the rest of the world.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Even that, disasterous though it would be, wouldn't achive a frictionless IRE/NI border because Ireland couldn't allow unrestricted imports from NI that might include, for example, substandard electricals from China and/or chlorinated chicken from the US (which those countries would happily dump on us once we declare free trade with the whole world.)
  • Options
    Penddu said:

rpjs said:

John_M said:

I shall stay here. I will not abandon my beloved England, despite Comrade Corbyn.

I thought you lived in Wales?
    Wales has been part of the Kingdom of England since 1535.
    I know Wales isn't a real country but their rugby fans get very upset when you point that out.

They then suggest where I should stick the sweet chariot.
    Try saying that in a Welsh-speaking area.
    Not sure what Welsh speaking areas have to do with this...trying saying that in Merthyr and see how far you get
    Once in Cardiff, whilst wearing an England rugby shirt, I asked/chanted

'Stand up if you've won a world cup'

The locals got a bit touchy about that.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

rkrkrk said:

But that wealth they've not touched or spent it.

It's not money in their bank account.

Say if they were suffering negative equity, would a LVT mean they get money back from the government?

So the tax is not based on the value of the home but the value of the land underneath the home. So negative equity doesn't come into it.

If you own land worth say 50k, then you might pay 500 pounds a year. If the value of the land fell for whatever reason, you would pay less per year. I can't see how the land could be valued negatively, but i suppose if it was you would receive money from the gov

Economically speaking its been described as a perfect tax - almost impossible to avoid, and with side effects of improving market efficiency. I also think there's a very good case that it could contribute to improving the stability of the housing market and reducing the risk of a future financial crisis in that area.
    Will a computer model be providing an annual update on the value of each parcel of land or will it be a civil servant with a clipboard ?

What could possibly go wrong ?
    Seems to work in many places. In New Zealand your “rateable value” is set every couple of years by the council. You are free to appeal of course.

The present system massively benefits those who are rich in housing assets. I’m in favour of change, although it would penalise me personally.
    Would lead to a lot of council houses in city centres being not viable to maintain unless they were tower blocks.

Plus a lot of grannys being forced out of their houses.

Good luck with that in a manifesto.
    A Labour government elected despite minimal support from pensioners could, and probably will, do it. A Tory government couldn't. I don't necessarily mind the idea in principle though I'd surely be a loser from it along with almost all homeowners in the home counties. Surely the % of land value would need to vary from region to region or there would need to be an absolutely massive transfer of receipts from south to north....such a system would further erode local democracy.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,913
    edited February 2018
    O/T I delighted to report that, as a result of changes in the inflation rate last autumn my OAP will be increased in April. Further, as a result of acheiving the ago of 80 a few weeks later my pension will be furrther increased by the magnificent sum of 25p per week.

I’ve no idea why it’ll cost me a further 25p a week to live then. Or what I’m supposed to need to spend it on.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Even that, disasterous though it would be, wouldn't achive a frictionless IRE/NI border because Ireland couldn't allow unrestricted imports from NI that might include, for example, substandard electricals from China and/or chlorinated chicken from the US (which those countries would happily dump on us once we declare free trade with the whole world.)
    Why not?
  • Options
    F1: apparently the Force India name change is 50/50 (by Australia).

More importantly, Perez and Ocon are free to race*.

*one suspects this may have detrimental impact upon their car insurance premiums.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    HHemmelig said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

rkrkrk said:

Say if they were suffering negative equity, would a LVT mean they get money back from the government?

So the tax is not based on the value of the home but the value of the land underneath the home. So negative equity doesn't come into it.

If you own land worth say 50k, then you might pay 500 pounds a year. If the value of the land fell for whatever reason, you would pay less per year. I can't see how the land could be valued negatively, but i suppose if it was you would receive money from the gov

Economically speaking its been described as a perfect tax - almost impossible to avoid, and with side effects of improving market efficiency. I also think there's a very good case that it could contribute to improving the stability of the housing market and reducing the risk of a future financial crisis in that area.
    Will a computer model be providing an annual update on the value of each parcel of land or will it be a civil servant with a clipboard ?

Seems to work in many places. In New Zealand your “rateable value” is set every couple of years by the council. You are free to appeal of course.

The present system massively benefits those who are rich in housing assets. I’m in favour of change, although it would penalise me personally.
    Would lead to a lot of council houses in city centres being not viable to maintain unless they were tower blocks.

A Labour government elected despite minimal support from pensioners could, and probably will, do it. A Tory government couldn't. I don't necessarily mind the idea in principle though I'd surely be a loser from it along with almost all homeowners in the home counties. Surely the % of land value would need to vary from region to region or there would need to be an absolutely massive transfer of receipts from south to north....such a system would further erode local democracy.
    Might be pensioners at the sharp end but when middle aged see their parents getting turfed out of their houses and see their inheritances going South - there will be a backlash.

It's just an envy tax and a tax on the immobile.

Smart investors will divest into gold, jewels, bitcoins...

• Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

TGOHF said:

rkrkrk said:

If you own land worth say 50k, then you might pay 500 pounds a year. If the value of the land fell for whatever reason, you would pay less per year. I can't see how the land could be valued negatively, but i suppose if it was you would receive money from the govt.

http://www.landvaluetax.org/what-is-lvt/

What about a block of flats? Small amount of land, large number of people. Does their "Land tax" work out at £10 per year or something ludicrously small?
    Probably not as small as that - but that would be the idea. A block of flats is a more efficient use of the land available. The stereotypical stockbroker in his large house and enormous gardens would be harder hit.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

One thing is clear from Brexit - the idea that the ROI is an independent country is thoroughly disproved..
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    edited February 2018
    HHemmelig said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

rkrkrk said:

One of the biggest problems with U.K. productivity is our land use. We need to fix our weird relationship with property.

It will happen. We’ve take income tax as far as it realistically can go - at least in terms of fiscal returns. Corporation tax needs to stay globally competitive. VAT is regressive. People are smoking and drinking less, and I’d expect to see less opportunity to tax motorists in the future, too. Commerce is going online which means business rates change can’t much...
  • Options

More importantly, Perez and Ocon are free to race*.

*one suspects this may have detrimental impact upon their car insurance premiums.

50/50 is a really silly name for an F1 Team.
  • Options

HHemmelig said:

Mr. Nabavi, yeah, it's like Labour and Keynes. They remember the bit about splurging money during a bust, and then magically forget the bit about running a tight ship during a boom.

These days that is true of all politicians not just Labour ones.

Ironically the last "tight ship" from a Keynesian perspective was run by Labour in 1997-2001, before Brown started splashing the cash.
    When Brown continued to run the economy along the same lines as if Ken Clarke had still been Chancellor....
    Yep. The days when my next door neighbour, now sadly long dead, who would have made Alf Garnett look like a progressive leftie, told me with a straight face that Blair's was the best Tory government since the heyday of Thatcher. Seems a long time ago.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Lol - but the current arrangements enable plethora of illegal products flow both ways over the border - drugs and guns.

• Options

HHemmelig said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

rkrkrk said:

a.

One of the biggest problems with U.K. productivity is our land use. We need to fix our weird relationship with property.

It will happen. We’ve take income tax as far as it realistically can go - at least in terms of fiscal returns. Corporation tax needs to stay globally competitive. VAT is regressive. People are smoking and drinking less, and I’d expect to see less opportunity to tax motorists in the future, too. Commerce is going online which means business rates change can’t much...
    Pay per use for public services could raise plenty of money.

• Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

rkrkrk said:

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how we're going to be forced to buy this radioactive chicken (which I've eaten in the US many times, lovely). This vision we peddle of our sheep-like consumers belies my personal experience.

Most people I know are incredibly picky about food, particularly meat; food miles is still a thing out here in the sticks.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Why not?
    Ok, they could allow it, but why would they? Of course they wouldn't.

And how many incidents (deaths) due to un-restricted imports of sub-standard food, electricals, pharmaceuticals etc. would we it take before our unilateral free trade policy brought the government of the day down? Admit it, it's a complete non-starter.
  • Options
    John_M said:

rkrkrk said:

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how we're going to be forced to buy this radioactive chicken (which I've eaten in the US many times, lovely). This vision we peddle of our sheep-like consumers belies my personal experience.

Most people I know are incredibly picky about food, particularly meat; food miles is still a thing out here in the sticks.
    Remember that evil American horse meat that was in Tesco lasagna ?

• Options
    edited February 2018

rkrkrk said:

Why not?

And how many incidents (deaths) due to un-restricted imports of sub-standard food, electricals, pharmaceuticals etc. would we it take before our unilateral free trade policy brought the government of the day down? Admit it, it's a complete non-starter.
    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jul/06/hoverboards-mass-recall-danger-explosion-fire-hazards

https://www.northumberlandgazette.co.uk/news/business/warning-of-the-dangers-of-counterfeit-straighteners-1-7010934

What like now ?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    SeanT is in the Seychelles.

https://twitter.com/thomasknox
  • Options
    edited February 2018

rkrkrk said:

Why not?

Oh, I agree that the Patrick Minford idea is a complete non-starter (although I think he's advocating zero tariffs, not zero safety standards). But we need to think clearly, and it simply is not the case that there is some universal law of nature which dictates that there would have to be a hard border and customs inspections simply because regulations (and even tariffs) applied to cross-border trade. The nature of any enforcement mechanism would be a political/administrative decision, based (one would hope) on an objective assessment of risks, and frankly the risk of dodgy chickens crossing the border in huge numbers, and somehow even getting across to France and Germany, without anyone noticing, is zero - certainly far less than the current risk of cigarette smuggling.
  • Options
    John_M said:

rkrkrk said:

First, you need to be able to identify the chlorinated chicken or antibioticised beef before you can decide... so clear labelling required but wait, doesn't that imply a regulation - opps there goes our unrestricted free tradde offer.

Secondly, you and I (also in the sticks) may have the luxury of picking our food and food miles carefully but the most people don't. (Nor it seems from recent news do most restaurants care that much.)
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Man of the people.....
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, their unofficial name of the Pink Panthers is quite good.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,036
    TGOHF said:

rkrkrk said:

One thing is clear from Brexit - the idea that the ROI is an independent country is thoroughly disproved..
    Are you suggesting we annex Southern Ireland to progress Brexit?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Man of the people.....
    As a true man of the people he’s advocating we stay in the single market to protect The City.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    AndyJS said:

Have you got as far as his toilet - with in-built enema?

No further comment required......
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    TGOHF said:

rkrkrk said:

Why not?

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jul/06/hoverboards-mass-recall-danger-explosion-fire-hazards

https://www.northumberlandgazette.co.uk/news/business/warning-of-the-dangers-of-counterfeit-straighteners-1-7010934

What like now ?
    So, with the current regulations some nasties get through; you use that to justify no need for any controls at all.

You might as well say: some burglaries happen even though it's illegal, so why not scrap that law.
  • Options

John_M said:

rkrkrk said:

First, you need to be able to identify the chlorinated chicken or antibioticised beef before you can decide... so clear labelling required but wait, doesn't that imply a regulation - opps there goes our unrestricted free tradde offer.

Secondly, you and I (also in the sticks) may have the luxury of picking our food and food miles carefully but the most people don't. (Nor it seems from recent news do most restaurants care that much.)
    Why do you associate free trade with no regulation or labelling ?

Haggis is banned from being imported into the USA - am sure McSweens would be happy to put a big label on it saying "contains lungs" and enable exports to the US.
  • Options

[snip]
    Secondly, you and I (also in the sticks) may have the luxury of picking our food and food miles carefully but the most people don't...

That's an argument in favour of cheap imports, surely?
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    TGOHF said:

Might be pensioners at the sharp end but when middle aged see their parents getting turfed out of their houses and see their inheritances going South - there will be a backlash.

It's just an envy tax and a tax on the immobile.

Smart investors will divest into gold, jewels, bitcoins...

But they will still need somewhere to live.....
  • Options

TGOHF said:

rkrkrk said:

On a cost/benefit analysis - no.
  • Options

Are they going Dutch?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Man of the people.....
    As a true man of the people he’s advocating we stay in the single market to protect The City.

At the moment it appears the only advocating m he is doing is to stay in a 6* hotel in the Seychelles...Not jealous at all..Not at all....
  • Options
    Mr. Mark, I would be surprised if they became known as Force Netherlands.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

How the other arse live....
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,010

AndyJS said:

Have you got as far as his support for a second referendum? ;)
  • Options

John_M said:

rkrkrk said:

We may be at cross purposes. I'm assuming that we will sign fairly conventional FTAs which, while they may abolish tariffs, have regulations regarding labelling, RoOs and so forth.

I'm with Gove in that we should have a race to the top, not t'other way about. A robust food labelling regime is, I believe, what most consumers want. Personally, I'm not bothered about chicken or antibiotics in beef (we're no angels - even Waitrose meat contains antibiotics). I just wouldn't buy meat from abroad.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,318
    John_M said:

Two points on this. As Michael Gove has said, the primary concern about US chicken is not that the chlorination will hurt you as that it's masking the problems of very high-density chicken farming. This is primarily an animal welfare issue (so you can eat the chicken but you might not like how it lived) but also has possible health problems (e.g. overuse of antibiotics) and environmental implications.

Point 2 is the crude one: if there's ever something in food that tends to kill you, you can't assess it well by hearing what people say from experience, because the sample is biased to people who aren't dead. :) I'm not actually claiming that American chickens do kill you - it's more of a general statistical observation on all "Well, it's never hurt me..." posts. Used to be quite common among smokers - "I'm 83 and I'm still alive, so smoking must be harmless")
  • Options

TGOHF said:

rkrkrk said:

Why not?

What like now ?
    So, with the current regulations some nasties get through; you use that to justify no need for any controls at all.

You might as well say: some burglaries happen even though it's illegal, so why not scrap that law.
    As no supermarkets in the ROI will be permitted to sell USA chicken - what would be the point in importing them for export to the ROI ?

A criminal act would be required - similar to the horse lasagne.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, you may (or may not, of course) recall that I said many times I was fairly relaxed about leaving the EU in terms of a spectrum of reasonable deals. The only absolute red line I had was the customs union, and not being in it.

I do remember.

We're leaving The Customs Union.
    Does Anna Soubry know?
    She does, that's why she's backing leaving The Customs Union and joining A Customs Union.
    And I'll ask the same question of her as I'd ask of Jeremy Corbyn: how much will A Customs Union cost us? Ball-park number will do, Anna. Show us some cost-benefit analysis.....
    I believe the government's impact assessment showed that remaining in The/A Customs Union was of a huge net benefit to the country than not.
    So I ask again - how much of that benefit are you going to lose by paying it over to the EU?
  • Options
    edited February 2018

rkrkrk said:

Why not?

Oh, I agree that the Patrick Minford idea is a complete non-starter (although I think he's advocating zero tariffs, not zero safety standards). But we need to think clearly, and it simply is not the case that there is some universal law of nature which dictates that there would have to be a hard border and customs inspections simply because regulations (and even tariffs) applied to cross-border trade. The nature of any enforcement mechanism would be a political/administrative decision, based (one would hope) on an objective assessment of risks, and frankly the risk of dodgy chickens crossing the border in huge numbers, and somehow even getting across to France and Germany, without anyone noticing, is zero - certainly far less than the current risk of cigarette smuggling.
    Unless we are in a customs union with the EU, the IRE/NI or the NI/GB border will have some level of friction.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "How many Conservative MPs would risk Prime Minister Corbyn over Brexit?
    Coffee House
    Katy Balls"

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2018/02/how-many-conservative-mps-would-risk-prime-minister-corbyn-over-brexit/
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited February 2018

So I ask again - how much of that benefit are you going to lose by paying it over to the EU?

None

Paying millions to generate billions, does not mean "saving millions" nets you anything

Brexit is a cost, not a benefit
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Clearly not used the enema yet then - if he is still full of shit......
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Why not?

Unless we are in a customs union with the EU, the IRE/NI or the NI/GB border will have some level of friction.
    But could be all electronic.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

AndyJS said:

My disabled cousin rages at "having someone to wipe my arse for me" as shorthand for having a carer, on the grounds that arsewiping is the single thing that disabled-facing technology probably does best, and has for decades.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    TGOHF said:

Take Back Control of our borders!

Outsource border security to IBM...

Yeah, that's what people voted for.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Clearly not used the enema yet then - if he is still full of shit......
    :smile: Very funny - even if completely misguided!
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

rkrkrk said:

Glad to hear that.

On the question of the frictionless border without a customs arrangement how does that work? Or, as the mood music from government changes towards a hard border and a tearing up of The Good Friday Agreement, is a return to guerrilla warfare a price worth paying? I would say not, so like I said frictionless border with no customs arrangements, what are the mechanics?
  • Options
    edited February 2018

It has some at the moment, as you would find if you loaded up a white van with Jameson whiskey in Dublin, drove it to Belfast, and started hawking it around pubs there, without telling HMRC.

But 'some level of friction' (i.e. some administrative declarations for commercial traffic, perhaps with exemptions for small businesses and farmers) is not the same as a hard border, much though the naysayers would love it to be.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited February 2018

Mr. Eagles, you may (or may not, of course) recall that I said many times I was fairly relaxed about leaving the EU in terms of a spectrum of reasonable deals. The only absolute red line I had was the customs union, and not being in it.

I do remember.

Does Anna Soubry know?
    She does, that's why she's backing leaving The Customs Union and joining A Customs Union.
    And I'll ask the same question of her as I'd ask of Jeremy Corbyn: how much will A Customs Union cost us? Ball-park number will do, Anna. Show us some cost-benefit analysis.....
    I believe the government's impact assessment showed that remaining in The/A Customs Union was of a huge net benefit to the country than not.
    We've already lost the benefit in its entirety through A50 (or we are in the process of losing it). Personally, I'd pay 75% to gain 25% of it back, given the corollary benefits of increased growth rates. Others will, of course, have a different threshold.
  • Options

I do remember.

Does Anna Soubry know?
    A small portion of it.

It's a massive net benefit for the UK
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

TGOHF said:

Scott probably thinks a civil servant designed the software that controls the port of Southampton...

• Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

rkrkrk said:

Glad to hear that.

On the question of the frictionless border without a customs arrangement how does that work? Or, as the mood music from government changes towards a hard border and a tearing up of The Good Friday Agreement, is a return to guerrilla warfare a price worth paying? I would say not, so like I said frictionless border with no customs arrangements, what are the mechanics?
    Perhaps we should be in a Customs Union with the EU? - just a thought :wink:
  • Options
    think it was a decent speech, clear political distance between the Tories and Corbyn out across his message quite well without ever being in danger of approaching charisma...

Corbyn has a massive chance here to force an election if things work how he hopes it will...

https://www.abitleftandabitlost.com/posts/a-tale-of-two-brexit-speeches-and-an-eu-protocol-the-prologue
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

TGOHF said:

More likely, given it would go to tender, oursource it to the People's Republic of China (who, due to our open doors unitateral free trade policy would be able to undercut all competition).
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

rkrkrk said:

Why not?

How will an electronic system stop your Polish hop picker crossing the border into the UK?
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

rkrkrk said:

Glad to hear that.

Given the practicalities of the EU installing and maintaining the "hard border" at the ROI - we can safely say it isn't happening.

• Options
    What does it mean to have "Britain having ‘a’ customs union arrangement of one sort or another"?

I don't think TMay has ruled out every sort of "arrangement".
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

rkrkrk said:

Why not?

What like now ?

As no supermarkets in the ROI will be permitted to sell USA chicken - what would be the point in importing them for export to the ROI ?

A criminal act would be required - similar to the horse lasagne.
    And it will be illegal to retail non EU marked electricals in ROI, presumably, and the Garda can stop and seize them anywhere between the border and the retailer. Crossing borders is fundamental to a few crimes like illegal immigration and evasion of duty, in other cases the border is just de facto a convenient bottleneck in which to grab people.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

rkrkrk said:

Why not?

How will an electronic system stop your Polish hop picker crossing the border into the UK?

In the same way as it doesn't stop non EU illegals now.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

TGOHF said:

More likely, given it would go to tender, oursource it to the People's Republic of China (who, due to our open doors unitateral free trade policy would be able to undercut all competition).
    So no change then ?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2018/02/20/uk-cyber-security-agency-sticks-chinas-huawei-despite-us-spy/

" Matthew Field
    20 FEBRUARY 2018 • 11:43AM
    The UK’s top cyber security agency has reaffirmed its commitment to working with Chinese smartphone giant Huawei after US spy chiefs accused the company of presenting a national security risk.

The Government and the National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC) will “continue to benefit” from collaboration with Huawei, according to an NCSC spokesman. It comes despite US government employees potentially being banned from using the Chinese company's smartphones due to security fears."
  • Options

TGOHF said:

rkrkrk said:

Why not?

There are no longer any Polish hop pickers. They were replaced by Bulgarian and Romanian hop pickers. Facetiousness aside, if you are a future would-be illegal immigrant, just get a tourist visa and overstay.
  • Options

What does it mean to have "Britain having ‘a’ customs union arrangement of one sort or another"?

It’ll be a customs union in everything but name?

The no customs restrictions agreement for example ?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

rkrkrk said:

Glad to hear that.

Given the practicalities of the EU installing and maintaining the "hard border" at the ROI - we can safely say it isn't happening.

OK, they don't want our chlorinated chicken from the USA, but we don't want their Spanish nurses either, so surely they razor wire and gun turrets are in both our interests.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

rkrkrk said:

Glad to hear that.

OK, they don't want our chlorinated chicken from the USA, but we don't want their Spanish nurses either, so surely they razor wire and gun turrets are in both our interests.
    I'd expect Spanish nurses will still be able to come on holiday and bathe in our chlorinated swimming pools.
  • Options
    ABLAABL said:

think it was a decent speech, clear political distance between the Tories and Corbyn out across his message quite well without ever being in danger of approaching charisma...

Corbyn has a massive chance here to force an election if things work how he hopes it will...

https://www.abitleftandabitlost.com/posts/a-tale-of-two-brexit-speeches-and-an-eu-protocol-the-prologue

As a mater of interest how do you think Corbyn can force an election
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

rkrkrk said:

Why not?

So voting Brexit to stop the arrival of Johnny Foreigner was all smoke and mirrors? The public must be told!
  • Options

TGOHF said:

rkrkrk said:

Why not?

I don't polish my shoes, let alone my hop picker
  • Options
    edited February 2018

'Transition period' bad; 'implementation period' good.

'Customs Union' bad; 'some sort of let's not have any customs arrangement' good.

I am sure JRM and go won't see through that will they?
  • Options

I do remember.

Does Anna Soubry know?
    A small portion of it.

It's a massive net benefit for the UK
    So give us numbers then. Cuz if you think the EU is going to let us keep the great bulk of that "massive net benefit" gratis......
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,200
    edited February 2018

Sean_F said:

Essexit said:

She won't be facing an entirely united Labour Party. There's the Labour Leavers plus Caroline Flint and other Brexit means Brexit Remainers. Tories flirting with the idea of rebelling night ask themselves if they really want to hand Jeremy Corbyn this victory.

Country before party.

A bad Brexit begets Corbyn as Prime Minister.

Soubry, Grieve et al are acting like true patriots.
    How does their proposed amendment assist us?
    Protects trade and the economy ensuring no disruption to trade.

It also solves the Irish Border question.
    No it doesn't. If you think that you really don't know what you are talking about.
    I have written reports from people who have worked, inter alia at the WTO, who say otherwise.

I know they are experts but I'll place more faith in their views than yours.
    Tyndall and R Smithson were arguing amongst themselves recently about what a free trade deal would mean we could or couldn’t do.

PB Leavers’ finest minds with no clue between them what Leaving actually meant.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

rkrkrk said:

Why not?

So voting Brexit to stop the arrival of Johnny Foreigner was all smoke and mirrors? The public must be told!
    Vacationing in the Uk will not be banned after Brexit - you heard it here first.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

rkrkrk said:

Glad to hear that.

I'd expect Spanish nurses will still be able to come on holiday and bathe in our chlorinated swimming pools.
    ...and eat our chlorinated chicken, fair point, so long as they go back to ROI when their visas expire!
  • Options

'Transition period' bad; 'implementation period' good.

'Customs Union' bad; 'some sort of let's not have any customs arrangement' good.

I am sure JRM and go won't see through that will they?
    I wonder if TM is working on the basis that she holds her line until a vote in the HOC and in the event she loses the vote she accepts the decision and negotiates on that basis as the Brexiteer's will to all intents and purposes have lost their power.

It is unlikely to result in a vote of no confidence as not one of the rebel conservatives will vote to put Corbyn in no 10

• Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

rkrkrk said:

Glad to hear that.

...and eat our chlorinated chicken, fair point, so long as they go back to ROI when their visas expire!
    They probably wont need a visa for visiting either.

Just to work , access public services for free etc.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

ABLAABL said:

He can bring the debate to the point whereby the Tory Euroloons rebel en masse rather than concede some tiny point which they don’t understand anyway and vote against May in a confidence vote.

Edit: and if you think JRM wouldn’t bring the house down around his ears on a point of principle, no matter how misguided, you haven’t been paying attention.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Is Johnson's final statement ironic? Or is irony lost on Johnson?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

ABLAABL said:

He can bring the debate to the point whereby the Tory Euroloons rebel en masse rather than concede some tiny point which they don’t understand anyway and vote against May in a confidence vote.
    Pie in the sky - they will not vote out their own government
  • Options

TOPPING said:

ABLAABL said:

See my edit
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

TOPPING said:

ABLAABL said:

No, that is snow in the sky here.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,010
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

ABLAABL said:

See my edit
    Surely May can outflank both Corbyn and the loons by offering a second referendum.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

ABLAABL said:

See my edit
    "Edit: and if you think JRM wouldn’t bring the house down around his ears on a point of principle, no matter how misguided, you haven’t been paying attention."

I see no evidence for that. No more than Soubry anyway..
  • Options
    In the latest "the EU has no bloody idea how the internet or taxation works" news, this:
    https://twitter.com/Holbornlolz/status/968161230732001280
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

rkrkrk said:

Glad to hear that.

So cash in hand in the fields of Lincolnshire will be OK then! We've been conned!
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

ABLAABL said:

See my edit
    I just not see the path to a no confidence vote on the government in the HOC
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

rkrkrk said:

Glad to hear that.

So cash in hand in the fields of Lincolnshire will be OK then! We've been conned!
    NEWS JUST IN : Breaking the law will still be illegal after Brexit !!!

• Options
    TGOHF said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

ABLAABL said:

See my edit
    "Edit: and if you think JRM wouldn’t bring the house down around his ears on a point of principle, no matter how misguided, you haven’t been paying attention."

I see no evidence for that. No more than Soubry anyway..
    Soubry is trying to stop her government from making a cataclysmic economic mistake, as she sees it.

JRM is ideologically driven.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578
    Scott_P said:
    Oh for goodness sake. I ant her to lose the vote, not change her policy!
  • Options
    Mr. Topping, you could just as easily reverse those descriptions.

One thing I like about Mogg is that he always seems calm.
  • Options
    So Jeremy Corbyn has decided to do what his chief opponent would least like him to do. He's getting the hang of this.
This discussion has been closed.