Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PaddyPower makes it 3/1 that TMay won’t survive beyond the end

Comments

• Options
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Maybe we should just invade and conquer Eire. That would solve the EU's apparent difficulties and even with our much diminished forces probably wouldn't take more than a few days.

Or maybe we can finally agree that trying to resolve the status of the Irish border separately from our relationship with the EU generally is simply nuts and that the EU position is completely barking.
    If we have a FTA with the EU what problem exists on the EIre border that does not exist right now and which both sides are quite happy to ignore? The only thing I can think of is third party imports into Eire or the UK. Surely that is just paperwork? And once again exactly the same issue we need to resolve with the rest of the EU?

Remember that once we leave the EU Ireland is a more powerful state than the UK. It will be more likely for them to invade and conquer us.
    If Hitler and Napoleon and Philip II could not conquer us I doubt Leo Varadkar will

Who is our Churchill today? Who is our Wellington today?
    I think Captain Mainwaring would probably be enough to handle Eire.
    How many centuries have Brits been saying that sort of thing about Ireland?

On the 'Eire' thing...

https://twitter.com/xtophercook/status/968770945631518720
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    No peace without Spain.

I didn't need promises or carrots. The 'Constitution' and the subsequent shenanigans leading up to Gordon Brown's squalid signing of the Lisbon treaty convinced me that our future lay outside Europe.

Walking in the bracing Siberian winds this afternoon has hardened my heart. I've joined SeanT's warmongers. I will have no truck with the various quislings, appeasers, guttersnipes and faint hearts cowering fearfully before Johnny Foreigner.

I shall put my faith in Mrs May and her plucky band of British patriots *mad laugh*.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

See, I’m not alone in the Tory party, we should give away Northern Ireland, it is more hassle than it is worth.

At the very least, 81 percent of Leave voters felt the risk of the Irish peace process ‘unravelling’ was ‘worth it’ if this was the price of ‘taking back control’. Conservative Leave voters – supporters of what still purports to be a Unionist party – were even more vehement on this question: 87 percent felt it a risk worth taking.

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2018/02/brexiteers-you-were-warned-about-ireland/

Quite independently of Brexit, there are a lot of Conservatives who have become very discontented with the outworking of the GFA, largely in relation to the hounding of members of the security forces.
    Well some of the security forces didn’t exactly cover themselves in glory.
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    FF43 said:

currystar said:

The country voted leave, thats it. Churchill won the war then lost the election. Democracy can be mad sometimes but it must be obeyed.

I agree with that. As far as I can tell John Major also agrees. But it doesn't help much beyond removing the possibility of ignoring the whole thing. For instance, are we all happy with signing up to the Withdrawal Agreement that the EU has drafted today? Are we OK with outcomes that could decimate our car industry? In each case those are leave options. They would be respecting democracy.. But is it what we want?

In 1974 Britain voted for the worst Government in its history and had to put up with 5 years of utter turmoil. In 2016 we voted leave. The electorate will have to deal with the outcome of what they voted for. Thats how democracy works. As I said I voted remain but i am now so fed up with the EU I think we should leave with no deal. The EU clearly realise that Britain leaving could mean the end of the EU which is why they are not respecting the democratic decision of a member country.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

20 months ago was the time to make that call. But you lost the argument and you lost the vote back then, Mr. Major. Blame the shit campaign your side ran.

While you're are at it, do you want to re-run the 1997 election? Convince us now of what a shit that Tony Blair is going to turn out to be?
    They did say how bad things would be - the public as it turned out either didn't believe them or thought it a price worth paying.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Maybe we should just invade and conquer Eire. That would solve the EU's apparent difficulties and even with our much diminished forces probably wouldn't take more than a few days.

Or maybe we can finally agree that trying to resolve the status of the Irish border separately from our relationship with the EU generally is simply nuts and that the EU position is completely barking.
    If we have a FTA with the EU what problem exists on the EIre border that does not exist right now and which both sides are quite happy to ignore? The only thing I can think of is third party imports into Eire or the UK. Surely that is just paperwork? And once again exactly the same issue we need to resolve with the rest of the EU?

Remember that once we leave the EU Ireland is a more powerful state than the UK. It will be more likely for them to invade and conquer us.
    If Hitler and Napoleon and Philip II could not conquer us I doubt Leo Varadkar will

On the 'Eire' thing...

Isn’t it Irish for Ireland?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Cough

John Major 29th May 2016

“There will not be another referendum on Europe. This is it.”

What changed his mind?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    Floater said:

Cough

John Major 29th May 2016

What changed his mind?

Hahaha.

• Options
    RobD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

On the 'Eire' thing...

Gaelic.

But it hasn’t been Eire since 1949.
  • Options

RobD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

On the 'Eire' thing...

Gaelic.

But it hasn’t been Eire since 1949.
    Unless you speak Gaelic? :p
  • Options
    Floater said:

Cough

John Major 29th May 2016

What changed his mind?

There would have been zero chance of another referendum in the near term had remain won. It would have been “settled”.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799

Sean_F said:

See, I’m not alone in the Tory party, we should give away Northern Ireland, it is more hassle than it is worth.

At the very least, 81 percent of Leave voters felt the risk of the Irish peace process ‘unravelling’ was ‘worth it’ if this was the price of ‘taking back control’. Conservative Leave voters – supporters of what still purports to be a Unionist party – were even more vehement on this question: 87 percent felt it a risk worth taking.

Quite independently of Brexit, there are a lot of Conservatives who have become very discontented with the outworking of the GFA, largely in relation to the hounding of members of the security forces.
    Well some of the security forces didn’t exactly cover themselves in glory.
    Nevertheless, I can see why people should get fed up with the idea that the victims of terrorism are expected to forgive and forget, while the much smaller number of victims of the security forces are not.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    What a cretinous, hypocritical fool Major is. All his words are a dismal smokescreen for his belief that the people got it wrong, so their will should be overruled.

I suppose I might feel like that if I’d led my party to its worst result since 1832.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    currystar said:

FF43 said:

currystar said:

The country voted leave, thats it. Churchill won the war then lost the election. Democracy can be mad sometimes but it must be obeyed.

I agree with that. As far as I can tell John Major also agrees. But it doesn't help much beyond removing the possibility of ignoring the whole thing. For instance, are we all happy with signing up to the Withdrawal Agreement that the EU has drafted today? Are we OK with outcomes that could decimate our car industry? In each case those are leave options. They would be respecting democracy.. But is it what we want?

In 1974 Britain voted for the worst Government in its history and had to put up with 5 years of utter turmoil. In 2016 we voted leave. The electorate will have to deal with the outcome of what they voted for. Thats how democracy works. As I said I voted remain but i am now so fed up with the EU I think we should leave with no deal.The EU clearly realise that Britain leaving could mean the end of the EU which is why they are not respecting the democratic decision of a member country.
    There is no democratic mandate, far less requirement, for leaving without a deal. There are some pretty severe consequences in doing so that directly contradict the case made by the Leave campaign. Democracy mandates we leave the EU. That's it. It doesn't get you very far.

• Options
    FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Or maybe we can finally agree that trying to resolve the status of the Irish border separately from our relationship with the EU generally is simply nuts and that the EU position is completely barking. If we have a FTA with the EU what problem exists on the EIre border that does not exist right now and which both sides are quite happy to ignore? The only thing I can think of is third party imports into Eire or the UK. Surely that is just paperwork? And once again exactly the same issue we need to resolve with the rest of the EU?

I think the EU position on the Irish border, unlike ours, is crystal clear and logical. (a) They need to control what happens on their territory. (b) They are committed by treaty to not operating the Irish border. Logically his means their control needs to extend past that border. Of course that means controlling territory that is not theirs. The UK understandably objects to that. The UK position on the Irish border is that it commits it to be open, it will control it and in any case it doesn't matter whether it's open or not. The only way these contradictions will be resolved is if the UK commits to controlling Northern Ireland on a identical basis to the EU. So far it has refused to do so.

The ball is in our court. We can continue to reject common regulation with the EU for Northern Ireland and take our chance on either the EU folding or doing without a transition. I don't rate that chance particularly highly. The government thought they could get away with making casual commitments that they could quietly forget about. That won't work.
    John Major agrees:
    "And just at the moment when Theresa May is trying to inch her party forward, a warning, from prime minister to prime minister, not just that her approach is wrongheaded, but that her ultimate goal may be impossible to achieve."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43229962
  • Options
    FF43 said:

currystar said:

FF43 said:

currystar said:

In 1974 Britain voted for the worst Government in its history and had to put up with 5 years of utter turmoil. In 2016 we voted leave. The electorate will have to deal with the outcome of what they voted for. Thats how democracy works. As I said I voted remain but i am now so fed up with the EU I think we should leave with no deal.The EU clearly realise that Britain leaving could mean the end of the EU which is why they are not respecting the democratic decision of a member country.
    There is no democratic mandate, far less requirement, for leaving without a deal. There are some pretty severe consequences in doing so that directly contradict the case made by the Leave campaign. Democracy mandates we leave the EU. That's it. It doesn't get you very far.

It depends whether a deal can be done.
  • Options
    RobD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

On the 'Eire' thing...

Alba is Gaelic for Scotland. If some tit jumped off the 9.30 from Kings Cross and started expostulating about breathing in the blessed air of Alba, he would swiftly be identified as a double tit.
  • Options
    RobD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

On the 'Eire' thing...

It is. But Empire II people don't speak Irish. Eire was the colonial era UK government term for Ireland, or if you want to distinguish it from the geographical island, Republic of Ireland. Those are the official terms that are used internationally
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,023
    currystar said:

The EU clearly realise that Britain leaving could mean the end of the EU which is why they are not respecting the democratic decision of a member country.

In what sense are they not respecting it? We are leaving.
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Doubt May will go in that time frame, though I did (in January) back her departure in Q1 or Q2 (10 and 9.8 respectively, since hedged).

Interesting that a referendum is seen as less likely than an election.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    RoyalBlue said:

What a cretinous, hypocritical fool Major is. All his words are a dismal smokescreen for his belief that the people got it wrong, so their will should be overruled.

I suppose I might feel like that if I’d led my party to its worst result since 1832.

Major didn't give a free vote on the EU at any point - but wants May to give one.

Jog on Johnny.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,767
    Scott_P said:
    Sam Coates has not apparently read as far as this from the EU draft Withdrawal Agreement:

Article 14
    Right of permanent residence
    1. Union citizens, United Kingdom nationals, and their respective family members, who have
    resided legally in accordance with Union law for a continuous period of five years in the host
    State, or for the duration specified in Article 17 of Directive 2004/38/EC, shall have the right of
    permanent residence in the host State as set out in Articles 16, 17 and 18 of Directive
    2004/38/EC. Periods of legal residence or work before and after the end of the transition period shall be included in the calculation of the qualifying period necessary for acquisition of the right
    of permanent residence.
    2. Continuity of residence for the purposes of acquisition of the right of permanent residence shall
    be determined in accordance with Article 16(3) and Article 21 of Directive 2004/38/EC.
    3. Once acquired, the right of permanent residence shall be lost only through absence from the
    host State for a period exceeding five consecutive years.

Article 15
    Accumulation of periods
    Union citizens, United Kingdom nationals, and their respective family members, who before the end
    of the transition period resided legally in the host State under the conditions of Article 7 of Directive
    2004/38/EC for a period of less than five years, shall have the right to acquire the right of permanent
    residence set out in Article 14 of this Agreement once they have completed the necessary periods of
    residence. Periods of legal residence or work before and after the end of the transition period shall
    be included in the calculation of the qualifying period necessary for acquisition of the right of
    permanent residence.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Or maybe we can finally agree that trying to resolve the status of the Irish border separately from our relationship with the EU generally is simply nuts and that the EU position is completely barking. If we have a FTA with the EU what problem exists on the EIre border that does not exist right now and which both sides are quite happy to ignore? The only thing I can think of is third party imports into Eire or the UK. Surely that is just paperwork? And once again exactly the same issue we need to resolve with the rest of the EU?

I think the EU position on the Irish border, unlike ours, is crystal clear and logical. (a) They need to control what happens on their territory. (b) They are committed by treaty to not operating the Irish border. Logically his means their control needs to extend past that border. Of course that means controlling territory that is not theirs. The UK understandably objects to that. The UK position on the Irish border is that it commits it to be open, it will control it and in any case it doesn't matter whether it's open or not. The only way these contradictions will be resolved is if the UK commits to controlling Northern Ireland on a identical basis to the EU. So far it has refused to do so.

The ball is in our court. We can continue to reject common regulation with the EU for Northern Ireland and take our chance on either the EU folding or doing without a transition. I don't rate that chance particularly highly. The government thought they could get away with making casual commitments that they could quietly forget about. That won't work.
    They are committed by treaty to not operating the Irish border.

Which treaty is this?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,289
    edited February 2018

RobD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

On the 'Eire' thing...

Alba is Gaelic for Scotland. If some tit jumped off the 9.30 from Kings Cross and started expostulating about breathing in the blessed air of Alba, he would swiftly be identified as a double tit.
    I like to breath the blessed air of Écosse.
  • Options

O/T, did we ever get an Ipsos More poll for February?
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    sarissa said:

Scott_P said:
    Sam Coates has not apparently read as far as this from the EU draft Withdrawal Agreement:

Article 14
    1. Union citizens, United Kingdom nationals, and their respective family members, who have
    resided legally in accordance with Union law for a continuous period of five years in the host
    State, or for the duration specified in Article 17 of Directive 2004/38/EC, shall have the right of
    permanent residence in the host State as set out in Articles 16, 17 and 18 of Directive
    2004/38/EC. Periods of legal residence or work before and after the end of the transition period shall be included in the calculation of the qualifying period necessary for acquisition of the right
    of permanent residence.
    2. Continuity of residence for the purposes of acquisition of the right of permanent residence shall
    be determined in accordance with Article 16(3) and Article 21 of Directive 2004/38/EC.
    3. Once acquired, the right of permanent residence shall be lost only through absence from the

Article 15
    Accumulation of periods
    Union citizens, United Kingdom nationals, and their respective family members, who before the end
    of the transition period resided legally in the host State under the conditions of Article 7 of Directive
    2004/38/EC for a period of less than five years, shall have the right to acquire the right of permanent
    residence set out in Article 14 of this Agreement once they have completed the necessary periods of
    residence. Periods of legal residence or work before and after the end of the transition period shall
    be included in the calculation of the qualifying period necessary for acquisition of the right of
    permanent residence.
    lol, as ever the focus is entirely on criticising the UK’s position.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

O/T, did we ever get an Ipsos More poll for February?

Should be out later on this week.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Indeed the EU seem to be showing rather more respect for the vote in terms of the amount of work they have done on it than the British government has.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

John Major agrees:
    "And just at the moment when Theresa May is trying to inch her party forward, a warning, from prime minister to prime minister, not just that her approach is wrongheaded, but that her ultimate goal may be impossible to achieve."
    Maybe she's got more balls than you, Mr Major.....
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    2/1 for an election this year is a bit over the top IMO.
  • Options

Do we believe in self determination? If not Spain will act on their claim on Gibraltar and Argentina will act on their claim on the Falklands.
  • Options
    Mr. JS, yeah, that's not tempting me at all. I think a referendum in 2019 is a credible possibility, but I think I've already backed that at 6.5, so not tempted by 6 for one in 2018.

F1: looks like no running at all. Provided the inclement weather doesn't persist beyond this week, it won't affect things too much. If it does persist, teams may be going into Australia half-cocked.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

In 1975, 61% of 18-29 year olds backed Remain. 41 years on, about 36% of the same voters, now aged 59-70, did so.

That's a great stat. Right there - the failure of the EU to deliver the EEC to those who were initially sold on the idea.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,529
    sarissa said:

Scott_P said:

Article 14
    of permanent residence.

Article 15
    Accumulation of periods
    permanent residence.
    In other words, UK citizens can move to individual EU countries, but not between them.

• Options

Do we believe in self determination? If not Spain will act on their claim on Gibraltar and Argentina will act on their claim on the Falklands.
    Perhaps the Northern Irish should have a second referendum on a United Ireland? They're all the rage.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

currystar said:

The EU clearly realise that Britain leaving could mean the end of the EU which is why they are not respecting the democratic decision of a member country.

Wow, glad to see you to accept that

:)
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171

currystar said:

They are making it as difficult as possible.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    edited February 2018
    It's 24-1 on Betfair that May goes in Q1 2018 - somewhat better than Paddy Power's 3-1!
  • Options

Sean_F said:

In 1975, 61% of 18-29 year olds backed Remain. 41 years on, about 36% of the same voters, now aged 59-70, did so.

That's a great stat. Right there - the failure of the EU to deliver the EEC to those who were initially sold on the idea.
    I doubt I'm alone in being very happy with the EEC, peaking in 1987 with the blessed Margaret parting the waves and creating the single market. I've been serially disillusioned since via Maastricht, Nice, Amsterdam and *Lisbon*.
  • Options

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

John Major agrees:
    Major is a joke. He screwed his own Premiership by taking us into the ERM when he was Chancellor and then got walked all over by the EU to the extent he ended up writing snotty letters to them moaning about how mean they were.

Then he has the audacity to criticise how other people try to deal with the issues he helped to cause. He is a loser who should just shut up.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Sean_F said:

I doubt I'm alone in being very happy with the EEC, peaking in 1987 with the blessed Margaret parting the waves and creating the single market. I've been serially disillusioned since via Maastricht, Nice, Amsterdam and *Lisbon*.
    Yup, pretty much the same...
  • Options

Sean_F said:

This age group were not people voting out of nostalgia for the Empire (which had vanished by 1975). They were voting on the basis of their experience of EU membership, which initially, they strongly supported.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,153
    DavidL said:

philiph said:

https://www.ft.com/content/eafd4ece-1c8a-11e8-956a-43db76e69936
    Labour says will not accept further donations from Max Mosley

This raises a question as to whether Max Mosley is a fit and proper person to fund IMPRESS

Why would a XXXX XXXXX XXXXX want to fund a organisation wanting to control the press?

I just can't fathom it #innocentface
    Leveson 2 is probably dead in the water now.

Any supporters of it now will be tarred by the unpleasant views of Max Mosley.
    The whole thing was made up of unpleasant views and self interest. Good riddance.
    I hope you are right. But I fear not. Corbyn will try and shackle the press. Max Mosley’s involvement won’t bother him, given the other unsavoury characters he’s cosied up to in the past.

• Options

Doubt May will go in that time frame, though I did (in January) back her departure in Q1 or Q2 (10 and 9.8 respectively, since hedged).

I think a GE would be required to demonstrate a change of heart big enough for a further referendum. Poll shifts would not be enough.

A further referendum may well be a condition of 3rd party support of a Labour minority government.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Sean_F said:

I was an enthusiast for the EU in the eighties, when I took the view we all had to unite against the Warsaw Pact. While we do face common challenges today, they are not of the same magnitude.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

This age group were not people voting out of nostalgia for the Empire (which had vanished by 1975). They were voting on the basis of their experience of EU membership, which initially, they strongly supported.
    Compared with other demographics in 1975, they didn't.
  • Options

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

John Major agrees:
    Major is a joke. He screwed his own Premiership by taking us into the ERM when he was Chancellor and then got walked all over by the EU to the extent he ended up writing snotty letters to them moaning about how mean they were.

Then he has the audacity to criticise how other people try to deal with the issues he helped to cause. He is a loser who should just shut up.
    I do remember my parents' reaction to "if it isn't hurting, it isn't working" as interest rates reached 15%. It was not polite.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I think a GE would be required to demonstrate a change of heart big enough for a further referendum. Poll shifts would not be enough.

A further referendum may well be a condition of 3rd party support of a Labour minority government.
    So 12 LibDems can force through a second referendum? That's going to endear them to the masses......
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

John_M said:

Sean_F said:

I was an enthusiast for the EU in the eighties, when I took the view we all had to unite against the Warsaw Pact. While we do face common challenges today, they are not of the same magnitude.
    So we no longer have a good enough reason to want a common legal framework that allows us to have frictionless trade?
  • Options

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

John Major agrees:

You might like to know that the fake news you were peddling on here before the referendum has been corrected:

https://capx.co/how-the-eu-starves-africa-into-submission/
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

A swing of 25%, over the course of their lifetime, is pretty substantial.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

You are making a different point, that doesn't undermine the one that Sean_F has made.
  • Options

Foxy said:

So 12 LibDems can force through a second referendum? That's going to endear them to the masses......
    3rd party could mean SNP.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

John_M said:

Sean_F said:

So we no longer have a good enough reason to want a common legal framework that allows us to have frictionless trade?
    We're left with pursuing political and economic integration in order to achieve small gains in living standards. That has no bearing on freedom.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,372
    Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

John Major agrees:

I do remember my parents' reaction to "if it isn't hurting, it isn't working" as interest rates reached 15%. It was not polite.
    I remember mine, which was not polite, either.
    It was also mixed with a sense of incredulity that former bank manager should be quite so daft (my surprise would be considerably less these days).
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

John_M said:

Sean_F said:

We're left with pursuing political and economic integration in order to achieve small gains in living standards. That has no bearing on freedom.
    And in order to protect freedom. Complacency isn't a reason to regress.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Perhaps the Northern Irish should have a second referendum on a United Ireland? They're all the rage.
    The Peace Process was worthwhile, do you not remember the 'Troubles' and bombing campaigns? The problem of the border needs to be addressed, we don't need the attitude 'Let's Leave and ignore the border'.
  • Options

Foxy said:

3rd party could mean SNP.
    Labour would need a coalition of 5-6 parties - not including however many factions they have in their own party.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

John_M said:

Sean_F said:

And in order to protect freedom. Complacency isn't a reason to regress.
    We protect freedom by looking after ourselves not by giving the Austrians, Poles and others the right to change our laws.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    RobD said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Which treaty is this?
    Actually Ireland and the UK are committed by the British Irish Agreement (GFA), and are backed by the EU, to develop where possible institutions and procedures that apply to the whole of the island of Ireland. They have done this to a significant extent.

(A correction to what I wrote).
  • Options
    Are we sure Mrs May isn't French?

She surrenders on every point, eventually

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/968877747845173248
  • Options
    currystar said:

Since the EU continues to try and play hardball on its own chosen ground, I think the time has come for the UK government to publish two things:

1. A first draft of a very limited treaty that would govern relations between the UK and EU in the event that we had to leave under WTO rules, setting out what limited variations on WTO and other concessions say on financial services the EU would be expected to make in return for selective concessions the UK were prepared to make, as well as clarifying what was non-negotiable. Essentially the basis of a minimalist agreement under what would still be in essence a hard Brexit "no deal" scenario.

2. A parallel impact study on the EU (country by country) of the impact of no deal. That would spell out for example the impact of the immediate loss of UK budget contributions and for example the impact of WTO tariffs on the volume of their future exports to the UK and the subsequent erosion of the massive trade surplus in goods with the UK.

That might concentrate minds in Brussels just a bit, but more importantly it would concentrate minds in governments in Berlin, Paris, Rome, Madrid, Dublin etc. As things stand, unless the EU changes tack the UK's first draft would be the only one worth discussing.
  • Options

Nobody seems that excited about temporary rules during transitions - you need to focus on the medium to long term.
  • Options

John_M said:

The Peace Process was worthwhile, do you not remember the 'Troubles' and bombing campaigns? The problem of the border needs to be addressed, we don't need the attitude 'Let's Leave and ignore the border'.
    I was caught up in the 2nd Warrington bomb attack, and was very lucky not to be caught up in the Birmingham pub bombings. I've also spent a fair amount of time in the intelligence & security communities, so yes, the 'Troubles' does ring a vague bell.

My middle name is 'Lucky'. Sadly, my first is 'Un' etc.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Nobody seems that excited about temporary rules during transitions - you need to focus on the medium to long term.
    She's going to concede on a customs union, you might as well brace yourself now.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Actually Ireland and the UK are committed by the British Irish Agreement (GFA), and are backed by the EU, to develop where possible institutions and procedures that apply to the whole of the island of Ireland. They have done this to a significant extent.

Good point. So, in accordance with their treaty obligations, the EU and Irish Republic won't be installing a hard border or insisting on any regulatory barriers to cross-border trade. If only you'd pointed this our earlier, we needn't have spent so much time worrying that they might.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Peoples' attitudes towards sexual morality don't seem to change as they get older. OTOH, peoples' attitudes towards both the EU and immigration do seem to.

In 2016, 71% of 18-24 year olds backed Remain. If you are talking about being on the side of history ....
  • Options
    I see John Major has become an enemy of the people.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

She's going to concede on a customs union, you might as well brace yourself now.
    Not sure she will, actually.

I think she has the votes.

Major et al didn't make a speech when the rebels had the votes.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, if she indicates that, she needs to be toppled.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Sean_F said:

Peoples' attitudes towards sexual morality don't seem to change as they get older. OTOH, peoples' attitudes towards both the EU and immigration do seem to.

In 2016, 71% of 18-24 year olds backed Remain. If you are talking about being on the side of history ....
    So 42% would back Remain in a referendum in 2057, if the previous trend was replicated? :D
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    Whenever things look like they are turning to shit, I remember that the prosecco sellers would never allow things to get out of hand.

At least I think that’s what Boris promised.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

May was going to refuse to budge on that one. Now she's climbed down. There is a pattern here if you care to look for it.

• Options
    FF43 said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Which treaty is this?

I don't think that precludes some customs activity?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Which treaty is this?

It's perhaps surprising how little trade there is across the Irish Border. Ireland exports eleven times as much to rUK as it does to Northern Ireland, and Northern Ireland sells about four times as much to rUK as to Ireland.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

May was going to refuse to budge on that one. Now she's climbed down. There is a pattern here if you care to look for it.

Except it looks as though it's the same deal that's been offered by the EU.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Obviously the numbers of MPs may well be different post election, indeed that is the point!

A majority Labour government or Tory one wouldn't hold a further referendum, but there are a number of 3rd parties that may hold the balance, and insist on one.

Do I think it likely? No.

Do I think it conceivable? Yes.

Personally, like @AlastairMeeks, I do not at present want a further referendum, though I would be delighted to see the government thrown out by the people.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Sean_F said:

Sure, but that's a different group of voters. The original point was whether political views evolved over the course of one's lifetime. In the case of the voters of 1975, they did.
  • Options

currystar said:

Since the EU continues to try and play hardball on its own chosen ground, I think the time has come for the UK government to publish two things:

1. A first draft of a very limited treaty that would govern relations between the UK and EU in the event that we had to leave under WTO rules, setting out what limited variations on WTO and other concessions say on financial services the EU would be expected to make in return for selective concessions the UK were prepared to make, as well as clarifying what was non-negotiable. Essentially the basis of a minimalist agreement under what would still be in essence a hard Brexit "no deal" scenario.

2. A parallel impact study on the EU (country by country) of the impact of no deal. That would spell out for example the impact of the immediate loss of UK budget contributions and for example the impact of WTO tariffs on the volume of their future exports to the UK and the subsequent erosion of the massive trade surplus in goods with the UK.

That might concentrate minds in Brussels just a bit, but more importantly it would concentrate minds in governments in Berlin, Paris, Rome, Madrid, Dublin etc. As things stand, unless the EU changes tack the UK's first draft would be the only one worth discussing.

There are plenty of impact assessment studies out there looking at what might happen in the EU27 countries under various Brexit scenarios. Individual governments have no doubt done their own ones - Ireland has, for sure. What they all show is that however bad the impact is for individual EU27 it is worse for the UK.

Of course, the UK government could have produced its own draft withdrawal document today, last week or last month. It has not done so because it does not yet know what it wants. Given we are now 13 months from leaving you can't blame the EC for having a go at one itself.

• Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

twitter.com/stephenkb/status/968882519360798720

"A lot of MPs seem to think "voting down the deal" means no or soft Brexit. But that ain't necessarily so: "

Well, duh.

• Options
    Can't argue with much of that, sadly.

Major is a gent, and to my mind the archetype of how an ex-PM should conduct themselves; but past performance on the EU suggests it might be his blindspot....
  • Options
    Well, duh. A lot of MPs either don't understand - or are pretending not to understand - how treaties work and indeed the difference between the legislature and the executive.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    RobD said:

FF43 said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Which treaty is this?

I don't think that precludes some customs activity?
    I guess it doesn't. Border controls clearly cut across the spirit of the treaty, but whether spirit is a thing in a legal document is moot. OTOH, it more definitely does NOT preclude treating Northern Ireland differently from mainland Britain. In a sense that's the whole point of the BIA.
  • Options

Well, duh. A lot of MPs either don't understand - or are pretending not to understand - how treaties work and indeed the difference between the legislature and the executive.
    +1

I've been relaxed that we're actually going to Leave since the Article 50 drinks party; some MPs seem to have a short memory....
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Mortimer said:

TGOHF said:

She will , May will call it a customs arrangement, to make you happy.
  • Options
    I have never used the mute button so much as recently hearing second rate journalist putting their particular spin on Brexit including Islam and Boulton who are impossibly pro EU. We deserve better journalists and politicians and someone who can provide a non biased sensible explanation of the way forward.

Major and others putting forward a second referendum have no idea of the complexity of holding one, the questions and who sets them, the time scale through the HOC and HOL and what happens if it is much the same
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546

currystar said:

The first part of that makes a lot of sense. Although if the UK had the legal or political brains to do that, surely they'd have presented their proposed withdrawal treaty to the EU, rather than the other way round?
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    Mortimer said:

Can't argue with much of that, sadly.

Major is a gent, and to my mind the archetype of how an ex-PM should conduct themselves; but past performance on the EU suggests it might be his blindspot....
    Not to mention more than a little hypocritical on this matter. He instituted a three line whip on Maastricht to have us enter the European Union, yet now insists it is a matter of such importance it should be a free vote to exit?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited February 2018

No, far from it. It means they would happily give Arlene Foster absolute power in Northern Ireland given she has most seats in the NI Assembly and a majority of NI MPs and stuff Sinn Fein and the peace process.

Nowhere does that poll give any evidence of Leave and Tory voters being anything other than staunch unionists, at least in the case of Ulster
  • Options

You might like to know that the fake news you were peddling on here before the referendum has been corrected:

https://capx.co/how-the-eu-starves-africa-into-submission/

Answer the point at hand rather than dragging up old news when you are losing.
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Which treaty is this?

It's perhaps surprising how little trade there is across the Irish Border. Ireland exports eleven times as much to rUK as it does to Northern Ireland, and Northern Ireland sells about four times as much to rUK as to Ireland.
    How much of that is phantom exports? I imagine Ireland has a fair amount of intellectual property being exported via transfer pricing.
  • Options
    I'll never forget Sir John Major's intervention when Gordon Brown tried to disrupt the 2007 Tory conference by heading to Iraq.

He absolutely blasted Brown and accused him of using the military for political ends for the snap election he was planning on calling.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,964
    edited February 2018
    If JRM can't manage graciousness & dignity, what's the point of him?

https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/968883598580506624
  • Options

Sean_F said:

John_M said:

Sean_F said:

We have never wanted a common legal framework.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    edited February 2018
    Did "Sir" John Major give a free-vote over Maastricht?

I seem to remember it was a whipped vote and afterwards Tebbit went on telly and complained that the whips were literally pinning young MP's up against the wall by their throats to get them to vote with the government....

Now all of a sudden Major thinks there should be a free vote on Brexit?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821
    Tick Tock 7 months till October.

Much as Strong and Stable became Weak and Wobbly

Theresas Red Lines turning into White Flags faster than the granny tax was scrapped
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    I'm confused. Is John Major an utter non-entity that no-one will listen to, or a Titan of Brexitology and Influential Figure who must be destroyed.

Lot of leavers claiming the former, but behaving as though the latter is true.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Mortimer said:

TGOHF said:

She will , May will call it a customs arrangement, to make you happy.
    Of course there will be some customs arrangement; we're not going to have hard borders with the EU. But it won't be the customs union, nor something that prevents control of our trade policy or future divergence.

In any case, it isn't the substantive matter, but the principle. Backbenchers shouldn't be tying the hands of the executive on treaty negotiations.
This discussion has been closed.