Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Putting the Northern Ireland border issue into perspective – t

Comments

• Options

Just another elite remainer who is only talking to remainers - no one else is listening

Remainers are only talking to and listening to Remainers. Leavers are only talking to and listening to Leavers... We're now getting to crisis point beyond where each side thinks the other side is wrong and we're hurtling towards a dangerous situation where each side thinks the views held by the other side are totally insane. I haven't got a clue how this can be resolved.
    I actually agree and the poor media reporting together with hysteria from both sides hides the fact that both parties need a deal. Today has shown that a high handed attitude from Barnier has backfired on the EU and a fair deal needs to result otherwise no PM will get the support to give the EU the 50 billion euros they want
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

May's stance going down well on BBC Have your say.

I would expect her to receive a boost for standing upto Barnier. The EU have made their first big mistake
    So what? Explain how the level of popular support for TM helps her to solve the Border Problem (TM).
    She will solve it - 50 billion euros say so
    How will €50bn solve the Border Problem (TM)? The payment is included in the draft legal agreement but so is the requirement for regulatory alignment.

It’s already priced in. Have another go.
    Nothing is agreed until everything is agreed
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Just another elite remainer who is only talking to remainers - no one else is listening

Remainers are only talking to and listening to Remainers. Leavers are only talking to and listening to Leavers... We're now getting to crisis point beyond where each side thinks the other side is wrong and we're hurtling towards a dangerous situation where each side thinks the views held by the other side are totally insane. I haven't got a clue how this can be resolved.
    WTO Brexit is the default. Always a likely possibility.
    Indeed. And once industry realises this we 're right royal fucked
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

Ignoring the possibility of perjury what is the point the Mail is trying to make? Surely not that 56 years ago Mosley might have written a racist pamphlet and therefore he's an unpleasant person? What they are doing is their stock-in-trade. A no holds barred character assassination in order to put a stop to his privacy agenda.

My point is simply that if the Mail believe Mosley's 56 year old ignoble past is fair game then so is theirs.
    But you can't ignore the possibility of perjury. The only reason he is posing as a campaigner for privacy is because of his libel win. His claim in that case was based on his good character. If in fact his character was not good, if he only got that libel win through perjury his whole shtick falls. His character is not being assassinated by the Mail. It is being brought into question by his own actions and sayings (assuming that what is being alleged is true). The Mail is bringing them to light.

Sure they have an agenda. But so does Mosley. And it is only right to scrutinise how he got to be this privacy campaigner and whether in posing as the white knight to clean up the press he has clean hands himself.

It is not the Mail which is seeking to prevent others from pointing out what a long dead owner did 80 years. Or asking that the historical record be wiped clean. It is Mosley. What he is doing is effectively trying to control what others say about him, in effect to enshrine the concept of Fake News. Because if we can't, as a matter of historical factual record, refer to the libel case or to his funding of Impress, then Fake News is being put out about him.

Regardless of whether it is the Mail doing this or some local newspaper or Channel 4 or some blog somewhere, this is a very worrying development. Mosley is a rich man seeking to control the world around him to suit him. He should not be a hero to anyone, even if he is being attacked by the Mail.
    Labour must consider it serious enough to stop all payments from him to them
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Foxy said:

WTO Brexit is the default. Always a likely possibility.
    "Soubry Terms". She has certainly made WTO more likely.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,818

Evening Malc - what is it like in Gods own Country tonight. It is a wind chill of minus 20 here in Llandudno. Have you got a red alert. Keep safe

Hello Big G , I am in Czech Republic this week where very cold , -8 to -11 but no snow. My wife advises it is desperate in Ayrshire , lots of snow.

The central belt has only the second ever red alert so hope the good people of Ayrshire keep inside, warm and safe. The whole of Wales is due a huge snow bomb, gales and ice rain over the next two days with recommendation that all Welsh Schools are closed for the next two days.

Big G , I had a wonderful Goulash and 3 litres of excellent beer to keep me happy. Very pleasant evening and now tucked up in bed.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Evening Malc - what is it like in Gods own Country tonight. It is a wind chill of minus 20 here in Llandudno. Have you got a red alert. Keep safe

Hello Big G , I am in Czech Republic this week where very cold , -8 to -11 but no snow. My wife advises it is desperate in Ayrshire , lots of snow.

The central belt has only the second ever red alert so hope the good people of Ayrshire keep inside, warm and safe. The whole of Wales is due a huge snow bomb, gales and ice rain over the next two days with recommendation that all Welsh Schools are closed for the next two days.

Big G , I had a wonderful Goulash and 3 litres of excellent beer to keep me happy. Very pleasant evening and now tucked up in bed.

Impressed Malc - have a good nights rest
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

An "interesting" journey from Teesside to that London - including dragging my case through deep snow in a blizzard. Loving the Beast - proper weather for a change.

I couldn't give a toss about the Moseley story. Boy influenced by dad shock.

On Brexit the question is this- what falls apart first. The Good Friday Agreement? Any prospect of a viable non-catastrophic Brexit? The Tory government? As a life-long student of politics I'm not sure there is enough popcorn in the world for this.

Well labour have stopped taking donations from him, Tom Watson is being asked to return the £500,000 he received from him, and he has finished off Impress
    Like Tom Watson has 500 large in his back pocket...
    Watson could ask for a whip-round.

But Max Mosley might get the wrong idea.
    A real LOL moment
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Bollocks

The only people who made WTO likely are those who voted for Brexit.

Are you ever going to grow a pair and accept responsibility?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Impressed Malc - have a good nights rest

Must admit this is the first time in a long time where the weather has matched up to or exceeded the hype where I am (Lincolnshire Edge just north of Maggie's hometown) . We started with snow on Monday which continued off and on through yesterday and daylight today. But we have then had about 3-4 inches in the last few hours. No public transport is planned to run tomorrow and the schools have all shut down. It is also bloody cold and windy with drifts.

Very glad I have plenty of wood for the fires. I understand that Lincoln to the north is even worse.
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516

Floater said:
    Its a step up from Commie Spy that the same source was accusing Corbyn of last week
    Although "Labour say it is not fair to imply collusion" is the weakest non-denial I have heard in a long time. The Tories should go hell for leather on this. Did Labour discuss timing of Corbyn's speech with the EU or didn't they?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I would expect her to receive a boost for standing upto Barnier. The EU have made their first big mistake
    So what? Explain how the level of popular support for TM helps her to solve the Border Problem (TM).
    How will €50bn solve the Border Problem (TM)? The payment is included in the draft legal agreement but so is the requirement for regulatory alignment.

Nope. If we don't get a deal then there is no money. It is actually written into the agreement from December.
  • Options
    The Two Minute Hate against Sir John Major has been extended to Eight Hours and counting. It seems only Leavers are entitled to opinions - appropriately, the snowflakes have fallen in vast quantities today.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    Scott_P said:

Sean_F said:

Most of us have come to terms with the fact that the Empire no longer exists. But there are worse fates than being a wealthy, liberal, democracy.

And Brexit is leading us toward them.

Awesome!
    Hardly.

You're a rich man who whinges about the narcissism of small differences.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,029
    Elliot said:

Floater said:
    Its a step up from Commie Spy that the same source was accusing Corbyn of last week
    Although "Labour say it is not fair to imply collusion" is the weakest non-denial I have heard in a long time. The Tories should go hell for leather on this. Did Labour discuss timing of Corbyn's speech with the EU or didn't they?
    He's just doing as instructed.
    https://twitter.com/theresa_may/status/865855578454806529
  • Options
    Shame he didn't consider the damage he was going to cause to millions of ordinary people when he enthusiastically signed us up to ERM then fought tooth and nail to keep us in.
  • Options
    TM rejecting Barnier on Ireland is headlining the news media and they are showing her comments at PMQ's and they will be well received in the Country
  • Options

Shame he didn't consider the damage he was going to cause to millions of ordinary people when he enthusiastically signed us up to ERM then fought tooth and nail to keep us in.
    It was the Lawsom boom-bust cycle that damaged ordinary people. Blaming the ERM was just a nice propaganda trick.
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113

Pulpstar said:

Nope. If we don't get a deal then there is no money. It is actually written into the agreement from December.
    And there’s a hard border. And no transition. And no Nissan.
  • Options
    Major means he cannot sit there and accept the democratic verdict of the public. He knows best of course.
  • Options

It was the Lawsom boom-bust cycle that damaged ordinary people. Blaming the ERM was just a nice propaganda trick.
    Garbage. I do love the way you prostitute yourself with any old lie to defend the EU. It is a stunning example of fanaticism.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Scott_P said:

Bollocks

The only people who made WTO likely are those who voted for Brexit.

Are you ever going to grow a pair and accept responsibility?
    When are you going to accept responsibility for decades of collusion with the EU that caused Brexit?

I won't wait up.
  • Options
    Trump only hires the best people...

https://twitter.com/bpolitics/status/968970714714923008
  • Options

Garbage. I do love the way you prostitute yourself with any old lie to defend the EU. It is a stunning example of fanaticism.
    By what mechanism do you think the ERM damaged millions of ordinary people?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Yawn.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Yawn.
    Insouciance is so 2017.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544

TM rejecting Barnier on Ireland is headlining the news media and they are showing her comments at PMQ's and they will be well received in the Country

May is rejecting what she agreed to just 2 months ago. Barnier's exasperation is fairly comprehensible.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Yawn.
    Insouciance is so 2017.
    Fear mongering is so 2016
  • Options
    Boris Johnson believes the Irish border is being used by Remainers to fight a “proxy war” to thwart Brexit as two former prime ministers raise the prospect of a second referendum.

The Foreign Secretary fears “ultra-Remainers” in Parliament and Whitehall are among those taking part in the conspiracy as Theresa May prepares to make her third major Brexit speech on Friday.

On the day that the Prime Minister vehemently rejected Brussels’ proposal for the EU Withdrawal Agreement, Sir John Major made an unprecedented attack on his fellow Conservative with a speech that accused her of “bad politics”.

He spoke less than three hours after Michel Barnier, the EU’s chief Brexit negotiator, set out Brussels’ position, which demands that Northern Ireland remains part of the EU’s customs arrangements, effectively making the province an annexe of the EU.

Some Brexit-supporting MPs fear that Theresa May will water down commitments made at last week’s Chequers meeting of the Brexit cabinet.

Tony Blair will use a speech in Brussels on Friday to urge EU leaders to help stop Brexit by making concessions that would make the British public change their minds about leaving the EU, triggering a second referendum.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/02/28/remainers-trying-stop-brexit-proxy-war-say-boriss-allies-former/
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Yawn.
    And Toyota today announced their new car will be built in the UK and engines on Deeside, North Wales, despite Brexit
  • Options
    Foxy said:

May is rejecting what she agreed to just 2 months ago. Barnier's exasperation is fairly comprehensible.
    He has made a big error today and TM gave him the response the Nation would expect.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,299
    edited February 2018
    Scottish Rugby is a cancer, they assault, eye gouge, and jostle England players and coaches.

Eddie Jones, the England head coach, said on Wednesday he would never travel on public transport again after he was physically and verbally abused as he made his way back to London by train following Scotland’s Calcutta Cup victory in Edinburgh.

Jones is believed to have feared for his safety as he travelled alone on Sunday morning, firstly to Manchester. He was a guest at Old Trafford of Sir Alex Ferguson when Manchester United beat Chelsea.

British Transport Police is investigating a second incident as Jones then journeyed back to London after the football match on Sunday evening on a train full of football fans. Another passenger alerted the police, who met the train at Euston. Although no arrests were made, inquiries are continuing.

After England’s 25-13 defeat by Scotland, Jones initially posed for selfies on the 9.15am train to Manchester from Edinburgh Waverley before the atmosphere turned sour on the three-hour 11-minute journey.

Sources say that at one point Jones was “jostled”, and that the fans involved were Scottish.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2018/02/28/england-head-coach-eddie-jones-admits-feared-safety-train-attack/
  • Options

And Toyota today announced their new car will be built in the UK and engines on Deeside, North Wales, despite Brexit

https://twitter.com/huwsayer/status/968947709100085253
  • Options

Presumably the record high interest rates set not for the regulation of employment or inflation but to shadow the German Mark. That failed effort cost UK PLC billions.
  • Options

Foxy said:

He has made a big error today and TM gave him the response the Nation would expect.
    Could you explain the difference between what Barnier published today on the Irish border and what was agreed in December? They look identical to me.
  • Options

He was explaining the deal TM made in December.

The Nation did not expect her to renege
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Martin Baxter should be updating his rolling average any day now:

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/homepage.html
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

Boris Johnson believes the Irish border is being used by Remainers to fight a “proxy war” to thwart Brexit as two former prime ministers raise the prospect of a second referendum.

The Foreign Secretary fears “ultra-Remainers” in Parliament and Whitehall are among those taking part in the conspiracy as Theresa May prepares to make her third major Brexit speech on Friday.

On the day that the Prime Minister vehemently rejected Brussels’ proposal for the EU Withdrawal Agreement, Sir John Major made an unprecedented attack on his fellow Conservative with a speech that accused her of “bad politics”.

He spoke less than three hours after Michel Barnier, the EU’s chief Brexit negotiator, set out Brussels’ position, which demands that Northern Ireland remains part of the EU’s customs arrangements, effectively making the province an annexe of the EU.

Some Brexit-supporting MPs fear that Theresa May will water down commitments made at last week’s Chequers meeting of the Brexit cabinet.

Tony Blair will use a speech in Brussels on Friday to urge EU leaders to help stop Brexit by making concessions that would make the British public change their minds about leaving the EU, triggering a second referendum.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/02/28/remainers-trying-stop-brexit-proxy-war-say-boriss-allies-former/

Blair wants the EU to make concessions to keep the U.K. in? That worked really well for David Cameron.

His megalomania is undimmed.
  • Options
    Elliot said:

Presumably the record high interest rates set not for the regulation of employment or inflation but to shadow the German Mark. That failed effort cost UK PLC billions.
    Interest rates fell throughout the time we were in the ERM.
  • Options
    Reading through the May response on citizens rights, she notably requires EU citizens coming during the transition abide by the £18600 income requirement to bring over spouses. I assume May is doing her best to get the biggest immigration drop among unskilled she can post transition.

A cynic would also point out that it would mean a refugee family from Syria would need all of its members to get German passports to come.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936

A Blair speech is always good for a laugh. His interventions make Major's look vaguely in touch with public opinion....
  • Options
    Elliot said:

Do I recall that lots of ordinary people saw their mortgage rates rocket upward as Major tried to keep Britain in the ERM?
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Foxy said:

Nah, he’s being provocative as a tactic for sure, to wind back later. But let’s get this clear, a foreign power has today actually proposed in writing economically annexing part of our country. There are no words.

No price is too high to remove ourselves from this web, our politicians have woven us into over decades, without referring to the people for four decades.

No price.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Yawn.
    Insouciance is so 2017.

Pulpstar said:

Yawn.
    It’s all going so well.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-16/layoffs-arrive-in-brexit-britain-and-auto-workers-are-up-first
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Blair wants the EU to make concessions to keep the U.K. in? That worked really well for David Cameron.

His megalomania is undimmed.
    Is Blair the leading Pacific Island Remainer, not evidently accepting that the referendum has already happened....and that his side lost?
  • Options

Membership of the ERM forced us to keep interest rates higher than they should have been. It caused a housing slump in the early 90s and a recession. If we had been outside the ERM we would have let the value of Sterling drop as it needed to. As soon as we left the ERM things began to improve again with Sterling at a more competitive price.

• Options

Elliot said:

They went up from 10% to 15% on the same day due to the ERM. Are you now trying to claim that membership of the ERM was good for Britain?
  • Options
    welshowl said:

But let’s get this clear, a foreign power has today actually proposed in writing economically annexing part of our country. There are no words.

No price is too high to remove ourselves from this web, our politicians have woven us into over decades, without referring to the people for four decades.

No price.

Umm, let's get this clear.

Annexing part of our Country is the price Brexiteers are willing to pay for their fevered dream.

Bastards.
  • Options
    You never go full Remoaner.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Foxy said:

Nah, he’s being provocative as a tactic for sure, to wind back later. But let’s get this clear, a foreign power has today actually proposed in writing economically annexing part of our country. There are no words.

No price.
    Yes but how is that different to what was agreed in December?

Did May not understand what she agreed then? or has she just reneged on the agreement?
  • Options

Elliot said:

Do I recall that lots of ordinary people saw their mortgage rates rocket upward as Major tried to keep Britain in the ERM?
    You might recall it, but it didn't happen.
  • Options
    Nadine Dorries lecturing others on treachery towards a Tory PM, oh my irony meter died.

The sooner she fucks off to UKIP the better, it will increase the average IQ of both parties.
  • Options

Elliot said:

No where near as much as they should have. They were kept artificially high and damaged the economy specifically to keep us in the ERM.
  • Options

Elliot said:

They went up from 10% to 15% on the same day due to the ERM. Are you now trying to claim that membership of the ERM was good for Britain?
    Ironically he might have a point, inadvertently. It probably forewarned us of the dangers of the Euro as we’d had a taster so to speak.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    welshowl said:

Foxy said:

No price.
    No price? Are you really sure?
  • Options

Elliot said:

They didn't because we left the ERM so the raise was never applied. Interest rates fell.
  • Options

Elliot said:

No where near as much as they should have. They were kept artificially high and damaged the economy specifically to keep us in the ERM.
    We successfully brought inflation under control and laid the ground for the golden legacy that Labour inherited in 1997 with a balanced, low-debt economy.
  • Options

Elliot said:

They didn't because we left the ERM so the raise was never applied. Interest rates fell.
    So, leaving the ERM prevented a massive rise.
  • Options

Elliot said:

The interest rate started the day at 10% and ended it at 12%, as you know only too well. A day of shock and worry for millions of homeowners with mortgages. I know, I worked in mortgages at the time.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

welshowl said:

Foxy said:

No price.

Did May not understand what she agreed then? or has she just reneged on the agreement?
    The EU are making zero effort to sweeten any pill or present things in a sellable way. Today has been a PR huge own goal for them. They can’t help themselves.
  • Options

Johnson is an absolute numpty, can the idiot even tie his own shoelaces. To think pour future is down to this moron and other similar numpties.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Foxy said:

welshowl said:

Foxy said:

No price.

The EU are making zero effort to sweeten any pill or present things in a sellable way. Today has been a PR huge own goal for them. They can’t help themselves.
    I suppose 'tin-earred' is the default setting when you don't have to worry about an electorate...
  • Options
    edited February 2018

welshowl said:

Foxy said:

No price.
    No price? Are you really sure?
    Yes. I thought long about that. It’s existential to our independence and democracy.

So, yes. I am certain of that I am afraid.
  • Options

Elliot said:

This is the sort of comment that causes EU backers to lose such credibility. It is so obviously a wilful deception. Anyone with even remedial knowledge of the UK's exit from the ERM knows full well interest rates spiked massively to keep up with the Mark. The fact they previously swang downwards wildly when the Mark was weaker, fuelling the housing bubble to begin with, strengthens the anti-ERM case. The point is rates should be set for the UK economy, not to try to follow exchange rate volatility.
  • Options

Elliot said:

When rates go back up to anything like historical rates, there are going to be a lot of very squeezed consumers.
  • Options

Scottish Rugby is a cancer, they assault, eye gouge, and jostle England players and coaches.

Eddie Jones, the England head coach, said on Wednesday he would never travel on public transport again after he was physically and verbally abused as he made his way back to London by train following Scotland’s Calcutta Cup victory in Edinburgh.

Jones is believed to have feared for his safety as he travelled alone on Sunday morning, firstly to Manchester. He was a guest at Old Trafford of Sir Alex Ferguson when Manchester United beat Chelsea.

British Transport Police is investigating a second incident as Jones then journeyed back to London after the football match on Sunday evening on a train full of football fans. Another passenger alerted the police, who met the train at Euston. Although no arrests were made, inquiries are continuing.

After England’s 25-13 defeat by Scotland, Jones initially posed for selfies on the 9.15am train to Manchester from Edinburgh Waverley before the atmosphere turned sour on the three-hour 11-minute journey.

Sources say that at one point Jones was “jostled”, and that the fans involved were Scottish.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2018/02/28/england-head-coach-eddie-jones-admits-feared-safety-train-attack/

The eye gouge claim is rubbish and should be thrown out. Hughes had the Scottish player pinned to the ground by the neck with all his body weight on him. He was just trying to stop him killing him.

Hughes is the one who should have the charge against him for dangerous play. And I say that as an England supporter.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Scott_P said:

welshowl said:

But let’s get this clear, a foreign power has today actually proposed in writing economically annexing part of our country. There are no words.

No price.

Annexing part of our Country is the price Brexiteers are willing to pay for their fevered dream.

Bastards.
    You do seem upset. Still, you mustn't blame yourself; it's not as if you sat on your arse being a berk on the internet throughout the referendum campaign. No, sirree: someone with your crystal clear understanding of the looming disaster must have been out on the doorsteps 24/7 for months, putting the case to the voters.
  • Options

Nadine Dorries lecturing others on treachery towards a Tory PM, oh my irony meter died.

The sooner she fucks off to UKIP the better, it will increase the average IQ of both parties.
    But she's already in the same party as the current leader of CONKIP- Mr Jacob Rees-Mogg
  • Options

what a nation of big girls blouses , one defeat and they are whinging and crying like big babies. Can they never learn how to take a thumping.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

welshowl said:

Foxy said:

No price.

May agreed to regulatory equivalence in select areas covered by the GFA, not Northern Ireland staying in the customs union.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    welshowl said:

Foxy said:

welshowl said:

Foxy said:

No price.

It is a pity that our own government has been too lazy/incompetent/conflicted to publish our interpretation.

But while you may not like the tone, what is the difference in content to the December agreement?
  • Options

Elliot said:

We successfully brought inflation under control and laid the ground for the golden legacy that Labour inherited in 1997 with a balanced, low-debt economy.
    Only by leaving the ERM and regaining control of our economic policy. It was membership of the ERM that caused much of the damage in the first place.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

you mustn't blame yourself

I don't.

I didn't vote for this shitshow.

Unlike some
  • Options

unfortunately no-one will believe her Big G.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

welshowl said:

No price.

Bastards.
    No.

I for one don't see what the big deal is with potentially having customs checks as required on an international border. There are hundreds of international land borders across the world.

We should try and minimise and avoid them if possible but we have no reason to compromise our own nation to do so.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

welshowl said:

Foxy said:

welshowl said:

Foxy said:

No price.

It is a pity that our own government has been too lazy/incompetent/conflicted to publish our interpretation.

But while you may not like the tone, what is the difference in content to the December agreement?
    Tone is all in this, and the odd Nelsonian blind eye here and there. We need fudge from both sides. We’re getting seaside rock. We are not innocent but the EU certainly aren’t and Varadkar is being a pratt who may end up engineering exactly what he doesn’t want.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

welshowl said:

Foxy said:

welshowl said:

Foxy said:

No price.

It's generally the best approach in a negotiation to get the other side to offer first. Barnier had been talented at forcing the UK to do this for much of the first stage, but now has had to buckle this time round. I imagine it's a result of pressure from national governments who have felt him be too hard line to date.
  • Options

The eye gouge claim is rubbish and should be thrown out. Hughes had the Scottish player pinned to the ground by the neck with all his body weight on him. He was just trying to stop him killing him.

Hughes is the one who should have the charge against him for dangerous play. And I say that as an England supporter.
    Richard, yes very bad form, what happened to dignity when losing. These guys have feet of clay, unable to accept they got done over by a better team on the day. They are heading for English football type territory.
  • Options
    Elliot said:

Foxy said:

welshowl said:

Foxy said:

No price.

May agreed to regulatory equivalence in select areas covered by the GFA, not Northern Ireland staying in the customs union.
    Would that regulatory equivalence apply to all of the UK? or would it differ between islands?

How would that regulatory equivalence be managed? Would the ECJ have a role?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Scott_P said:

Ishmael_Z said:

I don't.

Unlike some
    I didn't either. But how hard is it to understand that a two-sided contest which is won by one side, is also lost by the other? And the more you proclaim it a disaster now, the bigger the question: why tf did you do nothing about it when you had the chance? You don't need a licence, or any special talent, to go canvassing.
  • Options

Elliot said:

Only by leaving the ERM and regaining control of our economic policy. It was membership of the ERM that caused much of the damage in the first place.
    Not true. The peak of interest rates was 89-90 before we joined the ERM. That was also the peak in real terms house prices. The boom-bust cycle that people remember was before the ERM period. Unfortunately because a lot of the subsequent economic pain coincided with being in the ERM, people blame the wrong target.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

The Two Minute Hate against Sir John Major has been extended to Eight Hours and counting. It seems only Leavers are entitled to opinions - appropriately, the snowflakes have fallen in vast quantities today.

People are entitled to point out hypocrisy when they see it.

• Options
    welshowl said:

Foxy said:

welshowl said:

Foxy said:

No price.

Why should the EU care about UK public opinion?
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

Ishmael_Z said:

I don't.

Unlike some
    I didn't either. But how hard is it to understand that a two-sided contest which is won by one side, is also lost by the other? And the more you proclaim it a disaster now, the bigger the question: why tf did you do nothing about it when you had the chance? You don't need a licence, or any special talent, to go canvassing.
    Very hard, for some, it would seem.
  • Options
    Elliot said:

Foxy said:

welshowl said:

Foxy said:

welshowl said:

Foxy said:

No price.

It's generally the best approach in a negotiation to get the other side to offer first. Barnier had been talented at forcing the UK to do this for much of the first stage, but now has had to buckle this time round. I imagine it's a result of pressure from national governments who have felt him be too hard line to date.
    I don't get it. On what issue has Barnier buckled?
  • Options

Elliot said:

To be fair interest rates didn't increase because of Black Wednesday as we left the ERM.

But Major was clearly willing to increase interest rates if that had managed to maintain ERM membership. That after all had been the reason why interest rates were increased first to 12% and then to 15% in a single day.

After leaving the ERM interest rates fell by 4% within a few months IIRC.

So the alternatives were:

ERM membership, 12%+ interest rates and an over valued currency - Major's prefered choice

Leaving the ERM, 6% interest rates and a competitive currency - the imposed reality

Needless to say that the Conservative party's economic reputation went down the toilet because Major tried to follow the wrong option.
  • Options

Elliot said:

Yes, there was a huge spike from 1987 onwards. Rapid rises like that should never happen if you are focusing on maintaining a healthy national economy, but the altar of European integration demanded we enter recession to shadow the Mark.
  • Options

Elliot said:

To be fair interest rates didn't increase because of Black Wednesday as we left the ERM.

But Major was clearly willing to increase interest rates if that had managed to maintain ERM membership. That after all had been the reason why interest rates were increased first to 12% and then to 15% in a single day.

After leaving the ERM interest rates fell by 4% within a few months IIRC.

So the alternatives were:

ERM membership, 12%+ interest rates and an over valued currency - Major's prefered choice

Leaving the ERM, 6% interest rates and a competitive currency - the imposed reality

Needless to say that the Conservative party's economic reputation went down the toilet because Major tried to follow the wrong option.
    Europe is clearly a blind spot; luckily the current Tory leadership is more in tune with public opinion.
  • Options
    Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Yes, there was a huge spike from 1987 onwards. Rapid rises like that should never happen if you are focusing on maintaining a healthy national economy, but the altar of European integration demanded we enter recession to shadow the Mark.
    We entered the ERM in October 1990.
  • Options

welshowl said:

Foxy said:

welshowl said:

Foxy said:

No price.

Why should the EU care about UK public opinion?
    Because it makes sense not to have us pissed off and semi hostile to them in the long term future.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Elliot said:

Foxy said:

welshowl said:

Foxy said:

No price.

Would that regulatory equivalence apply to all of the UK? or would it differ between islands?

How would that regulatory equivalence be managed? Would the ECJ have a role?
    Yes, no, to be agreed in negotiations, not outside of secondary effects in a few select areas.
  • Options

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

I’m sure we were shadowing the DM before the official entry though.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,947
    On topic...well Rugby Union, can anyone explain the utility of Bonus Points?
    Imagine the scenario. Ireland beat Scotland scoring 4+ tries. (very possible).
    England beat France scoring 3 or fewer (possibke given how dour France are).
    The scene is set for a gigantic Championship decider of England v Ireland...
    Except it isn't. Under those circumstances Ireland have already won the Six Nations by virtue of more bonus points...
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

I’m sure we were shadowing the DM before the official entry though.
    Yes, but that was at a time when interest rates were fully under political control.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

how hard is it to understand that a two-sided contest which is won by one side, is also lost by the other?

Truth and reason were defeated by a Torrent of bullshit with a cheeky grin.

Your claim that truth and reason didn't try hard enough is bogus.
This discussion has been closed.