Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Huge variation opens up in the polling for November’s US MidTe

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,481
    For those interested in such things, I saw the Hamilton musical last weekend. It is a superb show.

My only quibble is that the lead actor is slightly underpowered - a touch unfortunate when playing a man supposed to be the most charismatic politician of his age...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100

As you say, there actually isn’t a coherent headbanger plan to leave the EU.

More importantly, there isn't a coherent Remainer plan to stay in the EU. Their groping around for one does make a WTO exit all the more likely, however.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. Pulpstar, hope the horses are alright.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,601
    In highly developed economies, you cannot have a customs union without a single market. They are inseparable. You cannot be in the EU custom union and not be part of the single market. If you are outside the EU customs union, your economic activity in a EU member state will be subject to the ever-changing legal regulations laid down by the EU institutions and integrated into the law of the member state where you do business.

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2018/03/01/the-eu-legal-system-is-not-a-thing-you-can-leave/
  • Options
    Mr. Mark, disagree.

They'll seek to embugger the negotiations, then use Grieve's 'meaningful vote' to vote it down, bringing about a second referendum. The electorate will be presented with the choice between remaining in, or having a terrible deal.

Not certain, but certainly plausible.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,280
    edited March 2018

More importantly, there isn't a coherent Remainer plan to stay in the EU. Their groping around for one does make a WTO exit all the more likely, however.
    I think most Remainers would bite your hand off if you offered the Norway option. It is what they should be hammering home and fight through the "not what they voted for" fallacy.

They sadly have fallen for the "betrayal of the public" line about SM/CU. Whereas it is of course nothing of the sort.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    DavidL said:

Ishmael_Z said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

An interesting conversation on the radio this mornimg suggested that if anyone tries to drive their car in a red weather zone they will negate their insurance. Bet not many have thought of that
    Not sure I believe that but that doesn't mean it is not an idiotic thing to do, certainly without 4 wheel driver and considerable experience. It scares me when on snow and you still see peoples' brake lights coming on to control the speed of the car. Some of them will be automatics and have limited choice but others you need to stay away from.

I made a late run to Tescos last night. The roads here were distinctly tricky and there were vehicles stuck all over the place. And we are to the north of the worst affected parts. Its more than 5 years since we had snow like this.
    It does make sense. A red weather zone is an explicit request not to travel and listening to the Police this morning thay are saying do not travel so if you ignore that you could be considered to be acting negligently.

Of course it only applies to the red weather zones
    I am pretty sure that those people who spent their night stuck on the A80 would see the sense in your argument.
    there are 2 different issues, 1. is it wise to drive in these conditions and 2. would doing so affect one's right to claim on one's insurance, and the answer to both is an emphatic no. There's the danger that people stuck on the A80 hear and believe this sort of misinformation, and freeze to death because they daren't drive home even when the snow plough has been and freed them, and so freeze to death.
    The people on the A80 show another problem. Many people are deluded into believing that they were really some Nordic rally driver in a prior life who can cope in conditions mere mortals can't. And then they get stuck behind a jack knifed lorry.

I agree I am not aware of any term in an insurance policy that excludes idiotic behaviour and I don't think such a term would be compatible with the Road Traffic Acts.
    So here's a sad story: I am all geared up to go cruisin' in my Defender td5, to prove that I can, and the engine won't start, and I ring the bloke who fixes it. Third identical call of the morning for him, and it's because Land Rover glow plugs are so useless they die after about 6 years, but winters have been so mild it hasn't mattered till now. Short term fix = squirt ether in the air intake. Medium term, google nearest Toyota dealer.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,936

In highly developed economies, you cannot have a customs union without a single market. They are inseparable. You cannot be in the EU custom union and not be part of the single market. If you are outside the EU customs union, your economic activity in a EU member state will be subject to the ever-changing legal regulations laid down by the EU institutions and integrated into the law of the member state where you do business.

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2018/03/01/the-eu-legal-system-is-not-a-thing-you-can-leave/

Exactly the problem Turkey is facing with tariff free trade being an entirely one way street as far as EU third party FTAs are concerned.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Ishmael_Z said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

An interesting conversation on the radio this mornimg suggested that if anyone tries to drive their car in a red weather zone they will negate their insurance. Bet not many have thought of that
    Not sure I believe that but that doesn't mean it is not an idiotic thing to do, certainly without 4 wheel driver and considerable experience. It scares me when on snow and you still see peoples' brake lights coming on to control the speed of the car. Some of them will be automatics and have limited choice but others you need to stay away from.

I made a late run to Tescos last night. The roads here were distinctly tricky and there were vehicles stuck all over the place. And we are to the north of the worst affected parts. Its more than 5 years since we had snow like this.
    It does make sense. A red weather zone is an explicit request not to travel and listening to the Police this morning thay are saying do not travel so if you ignore that you could be considered to be acting negligently.

I am pretty sure that those people who spent their night stuck on the A80 would see the sense in your argument.
    there are 2 different issues, 1. is it wise to drive in these conditions and 2. would doing so affect one's right to claim on one's insurance, and the answer to both is an emphatic no. There's the danger that people stuck on the A80 hear and believe this sort of misinformation, and freeze to death because they daren't drive home even when the snow plough has been and freed them, and so freeze to death.
    The people on the A80 show another problem. Many people are deluded into believing that they were really some Nordic rally driver in a prior life who can cope in conditions mere mortals can't. And then they get stuck behind a jack knifed lorry.

LOL that is so true. I, for example, am the best driver on the road by a country mile. Challenging road conditions that occur once a decade? I was born to it! :wink:
    Don't most drivers rate themselves as 'above average'?
    Yup, yet only something like 10% have ever done any advanced driver training such as an IAM course, skid pan, off road, circuit driving etc. 99.99something percent of cars also won’t have snow chains or winter tyres, it’s much better just to stay home.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

The weather's not too bad in the Midlands at the moment. 35 mile drive this morning was surprisingly trouble-free despite it being -3 degrees.

Lincolnshire is pretty much closed. Large sections of the A52 and A17 are closed and the police have said most minor roads (which in Lincolnshire is pretty much everything) are impassable. We had a lot more snow overnight and now seem to be getting the winds to whip it up.

A good day to stay inside
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit/Miss Vance, it's fascinating how self-perception can be skewed on some things. Lots of people doubt they're attractive, but the majority think it's obvious they're pretty clever.

Hmm. I wonder if gamblers are more or less objective when it comes to their own performance.
  • Options
    F1: onto inters now, having started on full wets. Tracking drying out, times getting ever faster.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847

This weird tendency to Remain-blame for a bad Brexit is a kind of mental pathology. It’s one of the ways you can tell that Brexitism is more akin to a cult than a coherent political ideology.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

AndyJS said:

The weather's not too bad in the Midlands at the moment. 35 mile drive this morning was surprisingly trouble-free despite it being -3 degrees.

Lincolnshire is pretty much closed. Large sections of the A52 and A17 are closed and the police have said most minor roads (which in Lincolnshire is pretty much everything) are impassable. We had a lot more snow overnight and now seem to be getting the winds to whip it up.

A good day to stay inside
    Sorry, I should have said I'm talking about the area between Birmingham and Nottingham which seems to be having a better day than most other areas.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,202
    Ishmael_Z said:

DavidL said:

Ishmael_Z said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

I agree I am not aware of any term in an insurance policy that excludes idiotic behaviour and I don't think such a term would be compatible with the Road Traffic Acts.
    So here's a sad story: I am all geared up to go cruisin' in my Defender td5, to prove that I can, and the engine won't start, and I ring the bloke who fixes it. Third identical call of the morning for him, and it's because Land Rover glow plugs are so useless they die after about 6 years, but winters have been so mild it hasn't mattered till now. Short term fix = squirt ether in the air intake. Medium term, google nearest Toyota dealer.
    I used to have a client who had a high range Land Rover defender with all the toys. On days like this he used to whiz up and down the A9 pulling people out of ditches with his winch, pulling people out of snow drifts, giving them tracks to follow and generally helping out. On one view extremely public spirited but he admitted to me that it was the best fun he had all year.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

UK not doing too badly - some European countries have shockingly high levels of non-native born unemployment - in Sweden's case that may lie behind a lot of their troubles:

https://twitter.com/alexandreafonso/status/968872649651826688

Very interesting.

In the UK most people come specifically to work here. In the Scandinavian countries they are much more likely arrive as refugees, so maybe have a very different mind-set - at least initially.
    I think the Scandinavians are very strict about only allowing people with employment permits to work which prevents a lot of new arrivals from working. One of those idealistic policies of theirs which is probably having the opposite effect of the one they'd like.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,797

Just had a Guardian newsflash to say that the National Grid doesn’t, today, have enough gas to meet demand.
    'It is thought unlikely that the situation will affect supply to households, but if enough extra gas supplies by pipeline or ship are not forthcoming, it could affect industrial users.'

LOL!

But everyone can relax as their heating and lights go out as we're helping to "fight" Climate Change. :D
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,841

Irish nationalists and the Dublin government, with whom many remainers are making common cause, prefer to focus on hazy concepts like the spirit of the accord and loose interpretations of its passages on identity, rather than more concrete provisions on sovereignty.......

In the constitutional clauses that form the core of the document, the signatories acknowledged that “the present wish of a majority of the people in Northern Ireland, freely exercised and legitimate, is to maintain the Union and, accordingly, that Northern Ireland’s status as part of the United Kingdom reflects and relies upon that wish; and that it would be wrong to make any change in the status of Northern Ireland save with the consent of a majority of its people”.

The current threat to that principle comes, not from implementing Brexit, but from the idea that Northern Ireland might stay in the Customs Union or the Single Market while the rest of the UK leaves.

https://capx.co/will-brexit-scupper-the-good-friday-agreement/

The point is we have a conundrum. On the one side, the EU has its Single Market and Customs Union and where there are land borders with non-EU countries, the non-EU country has either signed up to the SM or has some other arrangements. - even the EFTA countries are in Schengen and the SM.

The EU obviously would like the land border with Northern Ireland to be resolved with the UK remaining at least in the CU but we can't do that as that would impede our attempts to build competitive trade deals with non-EU countries so we need a bespoke arrangement - the problem is the default bespoke arrangement is the "hard border" such as exists (I believe) between Gibraltar and Spain and between the Spanish enclaves in Africa and Morocco - a border with all the trappings, bureaucracy and delay.

Some in the UK believe (and with justification) that the trappings of a hard border are unnecessary in a technological age and said technology can replace customs posts just as cameras have replaced toll booths at Dartford Crossing. Perhaps but that argument isn't wholly convincing as yet and in any case it requires all the infrastructure for such a frictionless but monitored border to be in place by late 2020 and we haven't even started.

Politically, we want a border that facilitates trade and commerce but recognises we have left the EU in its entirety - a border which allows for due diligence in terms of customs and border inspections but without the paraphernalia of an existing "hard" border. In effect, we want a border but we don't want a border.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Ishmael_Z said:

DavidL said:

Ishmael_Z said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

I used to have a client who had a high range Land Rover defender with all the toys. On days like this he used to whiz up and down the A9 pulling people out of ditches with his winch, pulling people out of snow drifts, giving them tracks to follow and generally helping out. On one view extremely public spirited but he admitted to me that it was the best fun he had all year.
    Well done that man :+1:
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,202

Dura_Ace said:

Jonathan said:

It is a clear co-ordinated attack on Brexit by those who consider themselves superior to the ordinary voter but TM will stand firm as she showed to popular acclaim yesterday
    That was a party political broadcast by the Theresa May fanzine.
    Authorised by Big G, Chairman - Llandudno chapter.
    I like my promotion but if you have followed my recent postings I only support TM to do Brexit, thereafter someone new is required
    Why? The only way you'd want someone new after is if it's going to be a disaster and you need May to take the blame.
    Or to bed in someone who isn't a complete dud at fighting elections....
    Good at sex and elections? Got to be Boris doesn't it?
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    GIN1138 said:

Just had a Guardian newsflash to say that the National Grid doesn’t, today, have enough gas to meet demand.
    'It is thought unlikely that the situation will affect supply to households, but if enough extra gas supplies by pipeline or ship are not forthcoming, it could affect industrial users.'

LOL!

But everyone can relax as their heating and lights go out as we're helping to "fight" Climate Change. :D
    The gas supply authorities are incompetent and/or money goes to pay dividends instead of building gas storage facilities.

Denmark by law must maintain 6 months of onshore gas storage. Although they have their own N. Sea gas fields, those don't count towards the total because a pipe could be damaged.
  • Options

This weird tendency to Remain-blame for a bad Brexit is a kind of mental pathology. It’s one of the ways you can tell that Brexitism is more akin to a cult than a coherent political ideology.
    Just an acknowledgment that WTO is the default position if everybody keeps dicking about. I'm just bemused by the weird tendency of those who want to magic up some avoidance of Brexit to ignore where their road map takes them... Is that a mental pathology?

We Brexiteers don't worship at any cult. We're pretty agnostic about any form of political settlement being able to elevate you to a higher place. Such worship is exhibited by the constant and very public self-flagellation, self-loathing of the Brussels Worshippers on here. "We'e not wothy, we're not worthy...." And their High Priest is Tony Blair, with more blood on his hands than any Aztec Quetzalcoatl after an orgy of human sacrifice.
  • Options
    Mr. Gin, don't worry. Once we shut down Eggborough[sp] power station and other nasty dirty coal-powered stations we can enjoy feeling virtuous. And cold.
  • Options
    Meanwhile, South Africa has seen how well seizure of land worked in Zimbabwe and decided it wants some of that hot, famine-inducing action: https://twitter.com/MartinDaubney/status/969147026607833093
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,983
    Ishmael_Z said:

Block up the exhaust while you try to start it. It makes the cylinders retain some heat which is often enough to give dodgy glowplugs a help. That's what we used to do in Iraq having been issued the utter fucking dross of all 4x4s (Land Rover Defender). As a bonus you'll be able to do it while not being sniped by a hajji.
  • Options

Meanwhile, South Africa has seen how well seizure of land worked in Zimbabwe and decided it wants some of that hot, famine-inducing action: https://twitter.com/MartinDaubney/status/969147026607833093

And things were supposed to get better with the departure of Zuma....?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,709
    edited March 2018

Exactly the problem Turkey is facing with tariff free trade being an entirely one way street as far as EU third party FTAs are concerned.
    The UK government "plan" is to have a comprehensive FTA with the EU. Most supporters of the CU want to be in the SM as well. Corbyn isn't on board with that yet, although he hinted he might not rule it out. There are few people proposing a CU on its own.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Dura_Ace said:

Jonathan said:

It is a clear co-ordinated attack on Brexit by those who consider themselves superior to the ordinary voter but TM will stand firm as she showed to popular acclaim yesterday
    That was a party political broadcast by the Theresa May fanzine.
    Authorised by Big G, Chairman - Llandudno chapter.
    I like my promotion but if you have followed my recent postings I only support TM to do Brexit, thereafter someone new is required
    Why? The only way you'd want someone new after is if it's going to be a disaster and you need May to take the blame.
    Or to bed in someone who isn't a complete dud at fighting elections....
    Good at sex and elections? Got to be Boris doesn't it?
    It looks like it.....
  • Options

Just an acknowledgment that WTO is the default position if everybody keeps dicking about. I'm just bemused by the weird tendency of those who want to magic up some avoidance of Brexit to ignore where their road map takes them... Is that a mental pathology?

We Brexiteers don't worship at any cult. We're pretty agnostic about any form of political settlement being able to elevate you to a higher place. Such worship is exhibited by the constant and very public self-flagellation, self-loathing of the Brussels Worshippers on here. "We'e not wothy, we're not worthy...." And their High Priest is Tony Blair, with more blood on his hands than any Aztec Quetzalcoatl after an orgy of human sacrifice.
    But by “everyone” you meant, and stated, Remainers.

Which is akin to blaming the Aztecs for the actions of the Spanish conquistadors.

It’s pure balls. Either mad, or a dissembling attempt to deflect blame.

Brexit - whether good or ill - is owned by May, Davis, Fox and Johnson. If you don’t like the direction, have the honesty to take it up with them.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597

Mr. Gin, don't worry. Once we shut down Eggborough[sp] power station and other nasty dirty coal-powered stations we can enjoy feeling virtuous. And cold.

Eggborough is closing because it was not successful in bidding for a slice of the next round of capacity market payments. Instead they've gone to dozens of little engine sets dotted around the country. That run on gas. So no possible problem there then.
  • Options
    Mr. Mark, shortly after Mandela died there was a Question Time edition from South Africa. A black guy in the audience called for Zimbabwe-style land seizure, to generally approving noises from the rest of the audience.

We'll see how much coverage this gets in the media.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,964
    Dura_Ace said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Block up the exhaust while you try to start it. It makes the cylinders retain some heat which is often enough to give dodgy glowplugs a help. That's what we used to do in Iraq having been issued the utter fucking dross of all 4x4s (Land Rover Defender). As a bonus you'll be able to do it while not being sniped by a hajji.
    Hmm. Wonder how my elder son, a Defender owner, is managing. Younger son is on a business trip to Florida!
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Which is akin to blaming the Aztecs for the actions of the Spanish conquistadors.

Brexit - whether good or ill - is owned by May, Davis, Fox and Johnson. If you don’t like the direction, have the honesty to take it up with them.
    You can tell that Leavers are cultists when a Conservative MP calls a former Conservative Prime Minister a traitor for expressing a view she disagrees with, without any chorus of condemnation from those who share her view.
  • Options

Mr. Mark, shortly after Mandela died there was a Question Time edition from South Africa. A black guy in the audience called for Zimbabwe-style land seizure, to generally approving noises from the rest of the audience.

When your family has had it's land taken from it by someone else, and particularly when they are easily identifiable, it rankles. For quite a long time. See Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,930
    I wonder what impact the weather will have on today's by-elections? Especially the case in Exmouth which is on the edge of the red zone.
  • Options

You can tell that Leavers are cultists when a Conservative MP calls a former Conservative Prime Minister a traitor for expressing a view she disagrees with, without any chorus of condemnation from those who share her view.
    Dr Freud would definitely have something to say about these Oedipal outpourings of bile toward Blair and Major.
  • Options

Probably not much today in the UK media, with snow and Brexit ongoing - as well as F1 testing in Barcelona.

It’s the sort of story that can lead the News At 10 on a slow day, or generate a lot of questions at PMQs though.
  • Options

Hmm. Wonder how my elder son, a Defender owner, is managing.

Less well than if he had a Toyota I imagine. In Basra we had Defenders that were totalled after less than 2,000 miles with collapsed wheel bearings, the dreaded tailshaft knock and the aforementioned starting problems. I often use to ponder which bit of substandard equipment would get me killed first: LR Defender or Lynx AH7.

Toward the end when we were all out of fucks to give we started confiscating 20 year old HiLuxes from the locals which were much better. Luckily Phil Shiner never got wind of that operation.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

What would a remain in the EU plan look like? Day 1 - remain in EU. Day 2 - as day 1. etc.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

The UK government "plan" is to have a comprehensive FTA with the EU. Most supporters of the CU want to be in the SM as well. Corbyn isn't on board with that yet, although he hinted he might not rule it out. There are few people proposing a CU on its own.
    That is exactly what Labour are proposing.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Barnier is freelancing, overstepped his authority, he doesn't have the backing of...

https://twitter.com/gdnpolitics/status/969152419836846080

The interesting titbit from that article is that EU27 hardened their positions when they heard what Johnson was saying about the Irish border. Our Foreign Minister's diplomatic skills to the fore, once again.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    LOL, thanks Max Mosley :+1:

Penny for the thoughts of Hugh Grant today, reflecting on his association with the fascist - against the media who reported his arrest with a $20 hooker when he had Liz Hurley at home.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Roger said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Tories/Leavers still ever so slightly frit when it comes to Blair. Sweet.

Dream on.

Blair would be Leave's biggest asset.

The more you protest ...
    No. I actively encourage him to get back into the fray. Would be hilarious, and almost certainly split the Labour vote. Would be hilarious to see him see how far his star has fallen...
    Does it ever occur to you that people listen to the arguments? There are very few who advocate their position as persuasively and with such erudition as Blair. Certainly not IDS!
    The question was about trust, though. There is no one in or out of public life about whom I would be less certain than I am about Blair that he said only what he believed to be true or that if he said he would in the future do something, he fully intended to do it. People pay attention to where the arguments are coming from.
    These are both right - on the one hand he's a war criminal and being on the same side as him should make you suspect you're wrong, but on the other, he's a genuinely great communicator.

One of the problems with the Remain campaign was that they didn't really have anyone who could reach out to the waverers; Cameron already looked mildly ridiculous after the "renegotiation", and they ended up getting represented by people like Eddy Izzard who only appealed to the people they appeal to.
    Ironically the government could do with prime Blair leading the Brexit negotiations. If he was , the UK would probably come away with everything and a few nice Mediterranean islands to sweeten the deal.
    It was partly thanks to Blair's failure to impose transition controls on free movement from the new accession countries in 2004 that Leave won
    Except the percentage of the population who thinks there is too much immigration stays constant regardless of the amount of immigration.

In the 1980s 70% of people thought there was too much immigration from the West Indies - at a time when there was negative net migration from there.
  • Options
    Oh dear, Tory Leavers making themselves look like idiots over Northern Ireland, I am shocked.

https://twitter.com/Jacob_Rees_Mogg/status/969142151815880704
  • Options
    Jeremy Corbyn is such an easy target and I'm astonished just how many Tories repeatedly miss the target.

They are the political equivalent of the the Spurs legend Ronny Rosenthal.
  • Options

Oh dear, Tory Leavers making themselves look like idiots over Northern Ireland, I am shocked.

https://twitter.com/Jacob_Rees_Mogg/status/969142151815880704

That got discussed here a year or so ago. Corbyn voted against absolutely everything regarding NI - with the sole exception of one vote on the third reading of the 1998 Bill.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Penny for the thoughts of Hugh Grant today, reflecting on his association with the fascist - against the media who reported his arrest with a $20 hooker when he had Liz Hurley at home.
    Oh dear, so more headlines like this then....

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/968979124227276807
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Who would want to get involved in that Brexit self-publicity war between Charlie Mullins and Peter Stringfellow? By their friends shall you know the Remainers.....
  • Options

Mr. Sandpit/Miss Vance, it's fascinating how self-perception can be skewed on some things. Lots of people doubt they're attractive, but the majority think it's obvious they're pretty clever.

Hmm. I wonder if gamblers are more or less objective when it comes to their own performance.

Profitable gamblers or all gamblers?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,183
    Jonathan said:

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

Coal is nearly maxed out. We need to chuck a couple of lumps of uranium on the fire.
    Thank goodness my own coal bunker is full.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

FF43 said:

That is exactly what Labour are proposing.
    No. They are not. Corbyn in his speech wanted a bespoke arrangement that would commit to a large part of EU product regulation. Most of his members and MPs want the full Single Market.
  • Options
    King Cole, understandable. But that doesn't mean seizing land from white farmers is smart or right.
  • Options
    On topic my view (and betting position) has been

1) Dems take back the House

2) Republicans hold the Senate, maybe with an increased majority. 2018 is a terrible target year for the Dems, 2020 will be much better.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,841

Who would want to get involved in that Brexit self-publicity war between Charlie Mullins and Peter Stringfellow? By their friends shall you know the Remainers.....

So you're now the Witchfinder General for Brexit ? Anyone who even breathes the slightest contradiction has to be hunted down.

Bizarre.

Charlie Mullins as LD candidate for London Mayor in 2020 ? There's a thought.

• Options

Scott_P said:
    Well that is one way of looking at it. Another is that Brexit is costing the Conservatives support in the business community that might well lead to funding not only being lost but going to the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    Mr. Alistair, both. Maybe being honest with oneself is helpful for gambling.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597
    slade said:

I wonder what impact the weather will have on today's by-elections? Especially the case in Exmouth which is on the edge of the red zone.

Decided on the postal votes.

Is there a provision to cancel elections when the weather is so bad?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,797
    Scott_P said:
    Nasty Max won't think much to that...
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Oh dear, so more headlines like this then....

ttps://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/968979124227276807
    You just know that Murdoch is going to stop at absolutely nothing to see Mosley done for perjury. The Sun are probably going to run a story on him every day until he sues them again, that’s how much he’s hated.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Good point. When people were saying the Conservatives wouldn't do a future campaign as bad as the last one next time, I'd sort of assumed they meant it would be better.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    stodge said:

So you're now the Witchfinder General for Brexit ? Anyone who even breathes the slightest contradiction has to be hunted down.

Bizarre.

Chill. Having had to take flak for the fellow Brexiteers I am supposed to be in bed with, I'm just enjoying Scott_P and Alastair Meeks cuddling up with Peter Stringfellow and Charlie Mullins. It's like a hilarious malfunction in a dating computer....
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Hurrah, a sovereign Parliament is taking back control.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Coal is nearly maxed out. We need to chuck a couple of lumps of uranium on the fire.
    You could make a killing on that!
  • Options

2) Republicans hold the Senate, maybe with an increased majority. 2018 is a terrible target year for the Dems, 2020 will be much better.

We need to see what basket of deplorable the the Reps put up for their senate elections. Two years ago I'd have said it was nailed on guaranteed they would make big gains in the senate this year but now I'm not sure.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

stodge said:

Bizarre.

Chill. Having had to take flak for the fellow Brexiteers I am supposed to be in bed with, I'm just enjoying Scott_P and Alastair Meeks cuddling up with Peter Stringfellow and Charlie Mullins. It's like a hilarious malfunction in a dating computer....
    What have either of those two done/said that excites your opprobrium?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

stodge said:

Bizarre.

What - Scott_P and Alastair Meeks?
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Less well than if he had a Toyota I imagine. In Basra we had Defenders that were totalled after less than 2,000 miles with collapsed wheel bearings, the dreaded tailshaft knock and the aforementioned starting problems. I often use to ponder which bit of substandard equipment would get me killed first: LR Defender or Lynx AH7.

Toward the end when we were all out of fucks to give we started confiscating 20 year old HiLuxes from the locals which were much better. Luckily Phil Shiner never got wind of that operation.
    Not surprised at the last para. Quite surprised that MoD had bought such sub-standard kit for "Our Boys".

Eldest son plus family is supposed to be coming to see us (West Kent to N Essex) on Sunday.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,930

slade said:

Decided on the postal votes.

Is there a provision to cancel elections when the weather is so bad?
    The general opinion is a decision can only be taken by the Returning Officer on the day and only in exceptional circumstances. Whether snow and blizzards count is doubtful.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Tut bath's full n'all.....
  • Options
    Alistair said:

We need to see what basket of deplorable the the Reps put up for their senate elections. Two years ago I'd have said it was nailed on guaranteed they would make big gains in the senate this year but now I'm not sure.
    More Roy Moores?

Robert Mueller might be someone who impacts those bets.

I don't think Don will be at his finest if Jared gets indicted before the mid terms.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    edited March 2018
    Mr Cole,

"Just had a Guardian newsflash to say that the National Grid doesn’t, today, have enough gas to meet demand."

If only we'd started fracking earlier. Perhaps we should only supply gas to non-greenies as greenies like the hair - shirt approach.

All after a couple of days of chill. You'll remember 62 - 63 when we had three months of this, but then we didn't have central heating anyway. Just a coal fire with a back boiler. Pah! these modern snowflakes don't know they're born, do they? Days off school? Unheard of then.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

stodge said:

Bizarre.

What - Scott_P and Alastair Meeks?
    LOL

the other two!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,182

Scott_P said:
    Good point. When people were saying the Conservatives wouldn't do a future campaign as bad as the last one next time, I'd sort of assumed they meant it would be better.
    :lol:
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Not surprised at the last para. Quite surprised that MoD had bought such sub-standard kit for "Our Boys".

Eldest son plus family is supposed to be coming to see us (West Kent to N Essex) on Sunday.
    It was ever thus - the number of green vehicle moves in no green vehicle move environments in NI was very large.
  • Options
    Just remember folks cold weather is God's way of telling us to burn more Catholics.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Tut bath's full n'all.....
    Jan 1963 my wife and I went out, after one of us having a bath, for the evening. Came back to find the bath not only still full, but the bathwater frozen solid.
    T'was cold, that January!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,149

They could be right, everybody could be just above the average except for this one guy who's really, really shit
  • Options

They could be right, everybody could be just above the average except for this one guy who's really, really shit
    And he is always hogging the middle lane in front of you.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Bizarre.

To be fair this ploy of claiming that you are complicit in all the actions of everyone voting the same way as you was invented by the local remoanariat. Engineer hoist, etc.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Thank you, will give that a go.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Cole,

"Just had a Guardian newsflash to say that the National Grid doesn’t, today, have enough gas to meet demand."

If only we'd started fracking earlier. Perhaps we should only supply gas to non-greenies as greenies like the hair - shirt approach.

All after a couple of days of chill. You'll remember 62 - 63 when we had three months of this, but then we didn't have central heating anyway. Just a coal fire with a back boiler. Pah! these modern snowflakes don't know they're born, do they? Days off school? Unheard of then.

See my post of a few minutes ago. We, married 6 months, lived in a flat near Hollingworth Lake, a canal resevoir about 5 miles NE of Rochdale.
    Our bathroom and toilet were frozen, so I used to drive her to the school ...... which never closed .....where she taught every morning, together with her sponge bag (etc). I was working in Manchester so drove on there, also with sponge bag, razor etc.
    Weeksends we went down to her parents! Lasted about two months!
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387

Alistair said:

More Roy Moores?

Robert Mueller might be someone who impacts those bets.

I don't think Don will be at his finest if Jared gets indicted before the mid terms.
    For the Democrats (*including those Independents-in-name-only) to gain the Senate, they must take Arizona (Rep. Jeff Flake is retiring and there is a big selection battle going on) and Nevada (a blue state).

They must also hold a number of difficult seats, including deep red West Virginia, North Dakota and Missouri, plus difficult tests in Montana and Indiana. Florida is another target for the Reps if Rick Scott can be persuaded to stand.

*under BF rules, they do not count and instead the Dems must make four gains, which means unseating Ted Cruz in Texas...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983

Just remember folks cold weather is God's way of telling us to burn more Catholics.

Or Protestants in the case of Mary Tudor
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Ishmael_Z said:

DavidL said:

Ishmael_Z said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

I have family who farm up by Inverness. Every single farmer I have met up there has a Toyota Hilux. It's the same in Africa, the only Land Rovers are run by posh safari places, otherwise Toyota all the way. There's a brexit metaphor somewhere in there.
  • Options
    It so happens that UK withdrawal is not the worst of the EU’s current problems. The relationship between a government and the market in capitalist systems is all-consuming and fundamental. The EU is in that relationship with the overall EU economy. But this means that the relationship tends to reach into higher and higher levels of the public policy which ultimately determines the distribution of the burdens and benefits of a society, perhaps even fiscal policy. In a liberal democratic capitalist system, this means that there must be politics.

The EU has the substance of traditional liberal democratic institutions, but it does not have the essence of liberal democracy, which rests on the relentless daily struggle of public opinion, causing and justifying law-making and government and administration. Resolving that problem is an urgent priority.

I expect thats why they fixed the Selmeyr putsch......
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Just been out in North Essex - only a 4 mile round trip but the road conditions are some of the worst I have ever driven on.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    edited March 2018
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Roger said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Tories/Leavers still ever so slightly frit when it comes to Blair. Sweet.

Dream on.

Blair would be Leave's biggest asset.

The more you protest ...
    No. I actively encourage him to get back into the fray. Would be hilarious, and almost certainly split the Labour vote. Would be hilarious to see him see how far his star has fallen...
    Does it ever occur to you that people listen to the arguments? There are very few who advocate their position as persuasively and with such erudition as Blair. Certainly not IDS!
    The question was about trust, though. There is no one in or out of public life about whom I would be less certain than I am about Blair that he said only what he believed to be true or that if he said he would in the future do something, he fully intended to do it. People pay attention to where the arguments are coming from.
    These are both right - on the one hand he's a war criminal and being on the same side as him should make you suspect you're wrong, but on the other, he's a genuinely great communicator.

One of the problems with the Remain campaign was that they didn't really have anyone who could reach out to the waverers; Cameron already looked mildly ridiculous after the "renegotiation", and they ended up getting represented by people like Eddy Izzard who only appealed to the people they appeal to.
    Ironically the government could do with prime Blair leading the Brexit negotiations. If he was , the UK would probably come away with everything and a few nice Mediterranean islands to sweeten the deal.
    It was partly thanks to Blair's failure to impose transition controls on free movement from the new accession countries in 2004 that Leave won
    Except the percentage of the population who thinks there is too much immigration stays constant regardless of the amount of immigration.

In the 1980s 70% of people thought there was too much immigration from the West Indies - at a time when there was negative net migration from there.
    UKIP jumped in support at the 2004 European elections after the lack of transition controls from 2 MEPs to 12 MEPs and that began the process of their rise culminating in getting 12% at the 2015 general election and Cameron's promise of an EU referendum and the subsequent Leave vote
  • Options

Sub-standard kit is very much the norm in the British forces and the situation usually goes from bad to worse in times of war. I remember we had a batch of Pakistani sourced 9mm ammo that, when fired from a Walther PP 'kurz', would struggle to penetrate the cardboard target at 15m.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,182
    Allistair Heath:

"If MPs decide to back a customs union that prevents us from pursuing our own trade policy in goods, services and agriculture, a central point of leaving the EU, then it’s game over. Everything else will unravel."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/02/28/do-hard-remainers-not-see-stopping-brexit-would-do-democracy/
This discussion has been closed.