Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Electoral Commission attacks the government’s planned vote

Comments

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,925
    Softly, softly.

This week has been choreographed.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Sounds like a pragmatic speech to me.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Hottest of hot takes on here and she's not even half way through :D
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    RoyalBlue said:

I think May is trying to call the Brexiteers’ bluff. We will have the theoretical ability to diverge, but there will be a cost to doing so. In other words, we will stay aligned. Clever!

Fine. No issue. But things then can develop as we see fit.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974
    dixiedean said:

I thought a few months ago we were leaving he European Medicines Agency. Now we want to stay!

Yes. One would have thought that could have been made clear before they decided to move HQ...
    She also obviously isn't aware the Britain assesses more medicines than others because we do it on a contract basis for the EMA!
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

I don't know if this is some crazy left wing position to take, maybe I have just been reading too much Marx.

But might it be an idea to check we actually have a problem before we pay to enforce ID cards on millions of people to 'solve' the problem?

Nope it is neither crazy nor left wing. I agree with you entirely. And of course that is the nub of the problem. May has long been in favour of ID cards for all and is, in my eyes, an extreme authoritarian. This is simply one step along that route for her.
    Too many of our politicians have been seduced by the idea of identity cards, cryptography and computer security systems without really understanding the problems involved or the technology behind them.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/969574943729094657

I assume the EU will set the membership cost of these agencies at £350m a week.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    Floater said:

Barnesian said:

Sterling weakening slightly during the speech

LOL - oh god that means.... err .... absolutely nothing in the scheme of things.
    If you follow FX and political news you will know sterling weakens when a harder Brexit seems likely and strengthens when agreement seems more likely. That's what it means.

Down to 1.1195 euros.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    So basically May will technically take us out of the Customs Union but in practice in most respects keep us in to resolve the Irish problem and move forward to a FTA with the EU
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    It is sounding like a considered and thoughtful speech.

Pragmatic and detailed in many areas.

Not just an empty statement to sign up to a Customs Union (without actually specifying what that is)
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,301
    Sounds as if Theresa is playing a blinder and putting the cabinet Ultras back in their box. She needs two things to happen now: Rees-Mogg to cry betrayal but Boris to claim that everything's fine and dandy. If that happens she's won hands down.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Scott_P said:

@PCollinsTimes: This is quite a candid speech about the problems with, as yet, no notion of how to solve any of them.

@hugorifkind: @PCollinsTimes When she says "no existing 3rd party solution will do" it's pretty clear that the best idea is not to become a 3rd party.

@PCollinsTimes: @hugorifkind Quite. This is a good speech for the penultimate week of the Remain campaign.

@hugorifkind: So far, she's doing a really good job of explaining why leaving the EU is a really bad idea.

But we ARE leaving.
    Yes, and this speech is making it clearer than ever what a dozy idea leaving is.
    If only you'd made that case with such passion in 2016.....

Beaten by a bus.
    I'm not a politician.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105

Scott_P said:

@PCollinsTimes: This is quite a candid speech about the problems with, as yet, no notion of how to solve any of them.

@hugorifkind: @PCollinsTimes When she says "no existing 3rd party solution will do" it's pretty clear that the best idea is not to become a 3rd party.

@PCollinsTimes: @hugorifkind Quite. This is a good speech for the penultimate week of the Remain campaign.

@hugorifkind: So far, she's doing a really good job of explaining why leaving the EU is a really bad idea.

But we ARE leaving.
    Yes, and this speech is making it clearer than ever what a dozy idea leaving is.
    If only you'd made that case with such passion in 2016.....

Beaten by a bus.
    I'm not a politician.
    Neither were Remain! Certainly not good ones....
  • Options
    welshowl said:

RoyalBlue said:

I think May is trying to call the Brexiteers’ bluff. We will have the theoretical ability to diverge, but there will be a cost to doing so. In other words, we will stay aligned. Clever!

https://twitter.com/CCHQPress/status/969575053737316352
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,937
    OchEye said:

I don't know if this is some crazy left wing position to take, maybe I have just been reading too much Marx.

But might it be an idea to check we actually have a problem before we pay to enforce ID cards on millions of people to 'solve' the problem?

Nope it is neither crazy nor left wing. I agree with you entirely. And of course that is the nub of the problem. May has long been in favour of ID cards for all and is, in my eyes, an extreme authoritarian. This is simply one step along that route for her.
    Too many of our politicians have been seduced by the idea of identity cards, cryptography and computer security systems without really understanding the problems involved or the technology behind them.
    Agreed. They also seem to assume that whatever draconian laws they put in place won't be a problem because either they or someone of a similar mind will always be in power. even with the best intentions it does not usually work out that way.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,235
    I haven't been a fan but I am impressed with the detail and clarity of this.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

welshowl said:

RoyalBlue said:

Yes.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,612
    “And vice versa” pointing out that blocking the UK would also block the EU.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Like identity cards, this looks like a solution in search of a problem.
  • Options

Whatever happened to "Brexit free" threads?

Asking for a friend ....

Aw c'mon, the PM is giving a major speech. If not now - when??
    Wait till the Sunday media destroys it...
  • Options
    welshowl said:

JonathanD said:

welshowl said:

RoyalBlue said:

Yes.
    +1
  • Options
    DavidL said:

She is a serious grown up politician
  • Options

Sounds as if Theresa is playing a blinder and putting the cabinet Ultras back in their box. She needs two things to happen now: Rees-Mogg to cry betrayal but Boris to claim that everything's fine and dandy. If that happens she's won hands down.

What particular detail do you think JRM will be up in arms about ?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

Softly, softly.

This week has been choreographed.

With or without the EU?
  • Options
    Ooooh...”in the face of a worrying rise in protectionism”

Who could she mean?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881
    Lots of details here, especially on trade and services.

Very sharp contrast to the hyperbole of the last couple of weeks.
  • Options
    The header graphic still has the Electoral Commission on it. Should that be changed?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Barnesian said:

Floater said:

Barnesian said:

LOL - oh god that means.... err .... absolutely nothing in the scheme of things.
    If you follow FX and political news you will know sterling weakens when a harder Brexit seems likely and strengthens when agreement seems more likely. That's what it means.

Down to 1.1195 euros.
    I know that immediate swings are of little consequence and mean absolutely nothing (except to profit takers) - its the longer term changes that are important - Witness the immediate changes post referendum and subsequent movements
  • Options
    "ignore councils of despair that it simply cannot be done"

Sounds like she's been reading PB.com
  • Options
    Well obviously I am biased but that is such a better deal than the EU proposed in their paper for both parties. It is will be a question of how much of this we can get agreement on in the time available. The wasted year when the EU refused to discuss the future relationship was a tragic waste.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,055
    I bet that closing line "let's get on with it" was focus grouped.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Well obviously I am biased but that is such a better deal than the EU proposed in their paper for both parties. It is will be a question of how much of this we can get agreement on in the time available. The wasted year when the EU refused to discuss the future relationship was a tragic waste.

+1
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Nigelb said:
    Despite Brexit....
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,603
    "Robert Peston, BBC"

Woops!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The wasted year when the EU refused to discuss the future relationship was a tragic waste.

It gave us time for a General Election, so not all wasted...
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,600

I think that many people who live well-organised lives really struggle to imagine what a disorganised life is like - I remember the incredulity which some here expressed when I said in another context that not everyone knows their NI number or can readily lay their hands on it.

Real life: some people live in temporary accommodation all the time - I know one woman who has been staying in different B&Bs for years, and struggles to prove she exists at all in the form now required by letting agents. They move often, sometimes every few months, They don't drive or have a passport. They have as little as possible to do with authorities, not necessarily because they are deliberately avoiding legal duties but because life is just so overwhelming that filling out forms etc. is one hassle too much. Requiring that they bring a polling card OR a form of non-photo ID would be a reasonable step, but not a photo ID.

It's true that people like this often aren't registered to vote, a separate issue. But if they have managed that, really it's unreasonable to require them to produce additional photo ID as well. It's ironical that all these issues would be solved by having universal ID cards, yet there is I think an overlap between people who demand that voters carry photo ID but who oppose ID cards.

Yes, absolutely. However, to be fair to the Government, I think they absolutely understand the huge additional burdens that their system of electoral registration (and now their proposed system of voting) places on a relatively young transient population in short term accommodation compared to the rest. The problem is that they are using that understanding to do everything they can do discourage electoral participation by a group of voters that they realise will be overwhelmingly against them. They've studied the application and lessons from nudge theory and are applying them in reverse.

There is a name for this in the US. Voter suppression.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Pound currently down against the dollar by, er, 0.01%......

EDIT; make that up by 0.02%.....
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    Floater said:

Barnesian said:

Floater said:

Barnesian said:

Down to 1.1195 euros.
    I know that immediate swings are of little consequence and mean absolutely nothing (except to profit takers) - its the longer term changes that are important - Witness the immediate changes post referendum and subsequent movements
    The swings reflect the collective opinion of traders of the impact of the speech.
  • Options
    OchEye said:

Give it a year and every friggin politician will be banging on about Blockchain solution to everything...
  • Options
    50 for AB. Needs someone to stay with him though.
  • Options

Ooooh...”in the face of a worrying rise in protectionism”

Who could she mean?

No idea :-)
  • Options
    For all her occasional tripping over words and hesitant moments, that was a detailed and thoughtful speech with meat on the bones. It is in stark contrast to Corbyn's facile speech of a few days ago which contained no specifics, just empty phrases intended to play politics rather be a substantial contribution to a national (and international) debate.

Will she get the credit? Almost certainly not. But it is a serious speech with serious content and serious intent.
  • Options

DavidL said:

She is a serious grown up politician
    Lets not get carried away :-)
  • Options

But if you scale the axis right you’ll make it look like a massive fall!
  • Options
    Secret government order allowing MI5 law-breaking revealed

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-43256180

In other news, I hear bears allegedly shit in the woods...
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,973
    Nigelb said:
    AIUI it's only going ahead if they get a relevant train order?

I think CAF are building a factory in Newport, South Wales, and Hitachi have theirs in the northeast.

Of course, all of these are minnows compared to the giant amongst railway builders: the historic Litchurch Lane! ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derby_Litchurch_Lane_Works
  • Options

"Robert Peston, BBC"

Woops!

Yes, I noticed that. Won't endear him to his new employers.
  • Options

DavidL said:

+1
    +2
  • Options
    Oh Dear! "Robert Peston BBC" He won't be allowed to forget that one...
  • Options

DavidL said:

+1
    +2
    +3
  • Options
    welshowl said:

DavidL said:

+1
    +2
    +3
    Are we proving that we can do maths?

*wink*
  • Options
    Loving the very obvious batting order of the various media/press.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541

OchEye said:

Give it a year and every friggin politician will be banging on about Blockchain solution to everything...
    Irish border question.. solved !
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331
    It's a pragmatic speech which does a decent job of papering over the cracks, but I'm not sure it solves anything. For instance, if we can change our standards for goods but we will not lower them, who decides whether a difference constitutes a lowering? If in practice we won't, then fine, that's regulatory identity.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Floater said:

Barnesian said:

Floater said:

Barnesian said:

Down to 1.1195 euros.
    The swings reflect the collective opinion of traders of the impact of the speech.
    Sigh - and means sweet FA in the longer term.

Lets leave it there - you just want to paint an inaccurate picture and life really is to short
  • Options
    Ruth and Boris both happy with speech ,,
  • Options
    "WE WILL NOT THINK AGAIN ON BREXIT"

Sometimes you just need to shout.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

welshowl said:

DavidL said:

+1
    +2
    +3

*wink*
    Perhaps.... the next numbers in sequence are

+5

+8
  • Options
    Oh she must have been praying for that question from the German woman. She still needs to watch her loony flank.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

"Robert Peston, BBC"

Woops!

Yes, I noticed that. Won't endear him to his new employers.
    I’m sure most of us have made that occasional slip when moving employers, but if you’re a journalist asking a question to the PM (or an F1 driver making a pit stop, hi Lewis) it’s a little more public than most!
  • Options

We'll think again
    Don't know where
    Don't know when
    But I know we'll think again some sunny day
  • Options

EDIT; make that up by 0.02%.....

LOL
  • Options

welshowl said:

DavidL said:

+1
    +2
    +3

*wink*

+5

+8
    You are just Fib-bing now...
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    The approach outlined by the PM will mean there is going to be a much greater workload for Parliament in deciding which EU laws we will adopt, and which we will adapt, and which we will not implement.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974

We'll think again
    Don't know where
    Don't know when
    +1
  • Options

welshowl said:

DavidL said:

+1
    +2
    +3

*wink*

+5

+8
    Very good.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Even with nice gloves on, my right hand was getting a bit cold. Still, shovelling done.

Mr. Sandpit, that was a fun moment.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    Good speech.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

The approach outlined by the PM will mean there is going to be a much greater workload for Parliament in deciding which EU laws we will adopt, and which we will adapt, and which we will not implement.

Indeed, or taking back control as I think someone once called it. :D
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,594

We'll think again
    Don't know where
    Don't know when
    +1
    +2 :)
  • Options

It's a pragmatic speech which does a decent job of papering over the cracks, but I'm not sure it solves anything. For instance, if we can change our standards for goods but we will not lower them, who decides whether a difference constitutes a lowering? If in practice we won't, then fine, that's regulatory identity.

Much more meat than we got from vegetarian Jezza......
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

If Boris has acquiesced then that's half the job done. She just needs Ree-Mogg to kick off and it can be regarded as triumph.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,202

Cyclefree said:

Well, if Mrs May is not setting the world on fire then watch / listen to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7i4z3HtE_U

One for the desert island.

Youcan't take a whole opera, Cyclefree. That's cheating.
    Why on earth not? You get a whole book and a whole luxury. Why not a whole opera?

Snowing heavily again in West Hampstead. Oh to be on a desert island.....
  • Options

Can I suggest a pay rise for the poor dears?

• Options
    Off-topic:

The investigation into the Leicester explosion seems to be getting more intriguing:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-43255379
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Good speech.

Good response to the questions as well
  • Options

TGOHF said:

If Boris has acquiesced then that's half the job done. She just needs Ree-Mogg to kick off and it can be regarded as triumph.
    I can’t see where he would have a problem.

Ability to set new trade deals intact.

Anyone heard from Soubry ?
  • Options

Off-topic:

The investigation into the Leicester explosion seems to be getting more intriguing:

Rumours of an illegal distillery I saw in one paper

• Options
    Floater said:

Just had 1.8% from 1st April
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Why on earth not? You get a whole book and a whole luxury. Why not a whole opera?

I worked from home today (again) as the met office were forecasting heavy snow here from 9am - I think I have seen a grand total of 10 flakes.
  • Options
    Compare and contrast the near universal adulation that Theresa's speech has aroused with Boris's effort the other week. Boris must be choking as it dawns that Theresa is just in a different league to him. While he is clawing away at the political dirt she is being borne aloft by angels!
  • Options
    Floater said:

Off-topic:

Rumours of an illegal distillery I saw in one paper
    Ah thanks. Hadn't heard that.
  • Options
    Floater said:

I'm not sure 600 will be enough to do the job.....
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

One day, when politics quietens down (!!), we could all offer up our Desert Island discs/book/luxury.......
  • Options

Floater said:

I'm not sure 600 will be enough to do the job.....
    Nor even 650 perhaps.....
  • Options
    rawzerrawzer Posts: 189

Pulpstar said:

Good speech.

Good response to the questions as well
    Seemed to be some real content in most areas, but the financial services stuff sounded very thin and squeezed in - the whole passporting thing is a mystery to me, is this not where we most have to get it right?
  • Options

Compare and contrast the near universal adulation that Theresa's speech has aroused with Boris's effort the other week. Boris must be choking as it dawns that Theresa is just in a different league to him. While he is clawing away at the political dirt she is being borne aloft by angels!

Who says drugs don't work :-)
  • Options

Well if they actually had to spend time doing that rather than on pointless debates that make no difference to anyone, then they will be earning their money.

Leave Westminster Hall for the fluff and make the Commons and the Lords do the work of looking in detail at legislation and regulation.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

I worked from home today (again) as the met office were forecasting heavy snow here from 9am - I think I have seen a grand total of 10 flakes.
    I presume the rest of the kids are inside playing Xbox...no wonder they are becoming lard arses.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

welshowl said:

DavidL said:

+1
    +2
    +3

*wink*

+5

+8
    Fibonacci series for the uninitiated historians on PB.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Go Theresa :blush:
  • Options
    The only move Boris has left is to say Brexit is pointless...

She has the Brexiteers just where she wants them.
  • Options
    Cue Mr Barnier "NON!"........
This discussion has been closed.