Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Electoral Commission attacks the government’s planned vote

Comments

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,183
    Or how about this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neDnpgZPPvY

The Dies Irae definitely comes to the desert island.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Well, if Mrs May is not setting the world on fire then watch / listen to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7i4z3HtE_U

One for the desert island.

Youcan't take a whole opera, Cyclefree. That's cheating.
    Why on earth not? You get a whole book and a whole luxury. Why not a whole opera?

Snowing heavily again in West Hampstead. Oh to be on a desert island.....
    I worked from home today (again) as the met office were forecasting heavy snow here from 9am - I think I have seen a grand total of 10 flakes.
    I presume the rest of the kids are inside playing Xbox...no wonder they are becoming lard arses.
    I meant the remainer loons on here :-)

Seriously, my youngest was out all day in it the first day - he decided that was more than enough cold and discomfort thanks
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Go Theresa :blush:

Pleased I am not alone in saying she is the one for Brexit and after today, who knows how far she may go
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,098

welshowl said:

DavidL said:

Well obviously I am biased but that is such a better deal than the EU proposed in their paper for both parties. It is will be a question of how much of this we can get agreement on in the time available. The wasted year when the EU refused to discuss the future relationship was a tragic waste.

+1
    +2
    +3
    Are we proving that we can do maths?

*wink*
    Perhaps.... the next numbers in sequence are

+5

+8
    You are just Fib-bing now...
    Fibonacci series for the uninitiated historians on PB.
    Surely, there are no such people on PB? "Uninitiated historians"? Pah!
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Greetings from the Somerset Red zone.

Reasonable speech, best May's done yet. Can't help think that something along these lines would have settled the troops if delivered several months ago. I'll wait for reaction from the Ultras.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,202
    It is unfortunate from a PR point of view that Boris was not in the audience. Both he and Gove need to be publically and loudly behind this. May can see off the odd Brexiteer loon if there is solid cabinet support.

If she can take this forward maybe, just maybe, we might see an end to much of the hyperbole. This is not a hard Brexit. It would have fairly minimal implications economically. It facilitates a constructive EU relationship going forward. The next generation can decide whether the next steps are closer or further away. I think she has gone further than I thought she could to produce a Brexit that many remainers can live with.

It will be very interesting to see what the EU makes of this.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,983
    edited March 2018
    She's quite obviously not going to go quietly after Brexit.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    John_M said:

Greetings from the Somerset Red zone.

Reasonable speech, best May's done yet. Can't help think that something along these lines would have settled the troops if delivered several months ago. I'll wait for reaction from the Ultras.

I'll wait for reaction from the Ultras.

Are we expecting to hear from Barnier and Junker? :smiley:
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    All that poor Theresa May needs now is praise from that complete plonker Iain Martin. In reality she is the worst speaker on God's earth. John Major (no great orator) sounds like a political giant in comparison.

Her speech was long on problems short on solutions. The only reason that any of this piffle can come to pass if that it "is in the EU's interests as well"

No it is not. The EU overwhelming nterest is in making sure that there is no free lunch for the UK, lest they encourager les autres!
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

She's quite obviously not going to go quietly after Grexit.

If it is deemed a success she may well not need to go but still doubt her ability to take us into the next GE
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

"WE WILL NOT THINK AGAIN ON BREXIT"

Sometimes you just need to shout.

We'll think again
    Don't know where
    Don't know when
    But I know we'll think again some sunny day
    Thinking the unthinkable.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,601
    https://twitter.com/TomMcTague/status/969586326789148673

Progress.....after Varadkar stopped his predecessor's work.....
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,183
    rawzer said:

Pulpstar said:

Good speech.

Good response to the questions as well
    Seemed to be some real content in most areas, but the financial services stuff sounded very thin and squeezed in - the whole passporting thing is a mystery to me, is this not where we most have to get it right?
    To have passporting you need to remain in the Single Market.
  • Options
    scotslass said:

All that poor Theresa May needs now is praise from that complete plonker Iain Martin. In reality she is the worst speaker on God's earth. John Major (no great orator) sounds like a political giant in comparison.

Her speech was long on problems short on solutions. The only reason that any of this piffle can come to pass if that it "is in the EU's interests as well"

No it is not. The EU overwhelming nterest is in making sure that there is no free lunch for the UK, lest they encourager les autres!

The EU is les autres now.
  • Options
    scotslass said:

She is a poor speaker but the commentariat seem to think it was her best speech by some distance
  • Options
    rawzerrawzer Posts: 189
    scotslass said:

You've obviously never had to listen to Peter Hain - he opens his speeches by apologising for being dull
  • Options
    scotslass said:

I guess that logic would apply to SINDY too then?
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited March 2018
    Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Why on earth not? You get a whole book and a whole luxury. Why not a whole opera?

I worked from home today (again) as the met office were forecasting heavy snow here from 9am - I think I have seen a grand total of 10 flakes.
    Opposite here in Westchester County, Noo Yawk. The official forecast from the National Weather Service was no snow, just heavy rain. Our local forecaster Hudson Valley Weather reckoned we'd get 1- 6" of snow starting around 7-8am. As if on cue, the rain turned to snow at 8am and it's now 10am and we've had at least an inch.

I decided yesterday to tell my team I'd WFH today based on the HVW forecast and I'm glad I did!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859
    scotslass said:

And if the EU side take that approach to such a pragmatic and consolidatory speech they’ll look like selfish idiots - including to many of their own governments.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

SCOTTISH SUBSAMPLE KLAXON ALERT

Con: 28
    Lab: 27
    SNP: 32
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @bbcnickrobinson: Once again what the PM doesn’t say can be as revealing what she does ... https://twitter.com/chrismasonbbc/status/969581980852654083
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,202
    Cyclefree said:

rawzer said:

Pulpstar said:

Good speech.

Seemed to be some real content in most areas, but the financial services stuff sounded very thin and squeezed in - the whole passporting thing is a mystery to me, is this not where we most have to get it right?
    To have passporting you need to remain in the Single Market.
    Not sure about that. What you definitely do need is regulatory equivalence and mutual recognition. That is what she seems to be aiming for and what we will no doubt hear from Hammond next week. Whether the EU will go for that or not is one of the more difficult questions. They must resent London's dominance. Their industry wants London's expertise.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Softly, softly.

This week has been choreographed.

Yes, I think you are right. Let's hope so, and that the EU27 are broadly in line with her approach. It would surely have been tested with them through the usual channels.

It seems to have been a very good speech.
  • Options
    All smiles in the Brexit ultra camp

@IainDale: Not quite sure this speech achieved what it set out to. Yes there was detail, perhaps too much, but the overriding feeling I have is that Olly Robbins has won back the initiative from the Brexiteer politicians. Chequers has been overturned in terms of regulatory divergence.

Oh, wait...
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Scott_P said:

@bbcnickrobinson: Once again what the PM doesn’t say can be as revealing what she does ... https://twitter.com/chrismasonbbc/status/969581980852654083

She campaigned for and (presumably) voted remain.
  • Options
    @JasonGroves1: PM has set out enormously complex project to keep things basically the same after Brexit - can’t help wondering if she really thinks it’s worth it
  • Options
    Presumably Corbyn will oppose this because she wants the UK to give a binding commitment not to flout the EU state-aid rules.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

No. Whatever her personal views on the merits of Brexit, the most revealing thing the PM said was:

"WE WILL NOT THINK AGAIN ON BREXIT"
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    AndyJS said:
    The Brexit numbers are revealing. People think it will be bad for everything but result in less immigration.
  • Options
    Currency markets and stock market unmoved by PMs speech.
  • Options
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Softly, softly.

This week has been choreographed.

Yes, I think you are right. Let's hope so, and that the EU27 are broadly in line with her approach. It would surely have been tested with them through the usual channels.

It seems to have been a very good speech.
    I honestly think that most of what we see about Brexit is theatre. There will be a lot of huffing and puffing but in the end a good deal (for both sides) will be done.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Well I am glad whoever that blue ticked guy is finds it entertaining.
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    I'm afraid some Remainers begging Sinn Fein to take their seats at Westminster was a low point.
  • Options

Well I am glad whoever that blue ticked guy is finds it entertaining.
    It was a tweet by Iain Martin. ;)
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

Scott_P said:

@PCollinsTimes: This is quite a candid speech about the problems with, as yet, no notion of how to solve any of them.
    @hugorifkind: @PCollinsTimes When she says "no existing 3rd party solution will do" it's pretty clear that the best idea is not to become a 3rd party.

@PCollinsTimes: @hugorifkind Quite. This is a good speech for the penultimate week of the Remain campaign.

@hugorifkind: So far, she's doing a really good job of explaining why leaving the EU is a really bad idea.

But we ARE leaving.
    Yes, and this speech is making it clearer than ever what a dozy idea leaving is.
    If only you'd made that case with such passion in 2016..... Beaten by a bus.
    I'm not a politician.
    Neither were Remain! Certainly not good ones....
    Quite right, Mr Mark. Cameron and Osborne, who headed up the Remain campaign, were totally useless. Tell us: why did you go out campaigning for them?
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Scott_P said:

May voted Remain. The country voted Leave, so how she voted doesn’t matter anymore.

It’s really not complicated.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Opposite here in Westchester County, Noo Yawk. The official forecast from the National Weather Service was no snow, just heavy rain. Our local forecaster Hudson Valley Weather reckoned we'd get 1- 6" of snow starting around 7-8am. As if on cue, the rain turned to snow at 8am and it's now 10am and we've had at least an inch.

I decided yesterday to tell my team I'd WFH today based on the HVW forecast and I'm glad I did!
    I took an "executive decision" on Monday and arranged for my entire team to work from home - none of us has been in office since Monday.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,964

I'm afraid some Remainers begging Sinn Fein to take their seats at Westminster was a low point.
    Silly idea; was never going to happen.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    edited March 2018

The Remainers are like Trump, you think they can't stoop any lower and then they prove you wrong.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Exactly. If she said 'yes' it was a good idea - "why have you changed your mind?" or 'no' it was a bad idea - "How can you negotiate Brexit?"
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,964

AndyJS said:
    The Brexit numbers are revealing. People think it will be bad for everything but result in less immigration.
    That's about right.
  • Options
  • Options
    PClipp said:

Scott_P said:

@PCollinsTimes: This is quite a candid speech about the problems with, as yet, no notion of how to solve any of them.
    @hugorifkind: @PCollinsTimes When she says "no existing 3rd party solution will do" it's pretty clear that the best idea is not to become a 3rd party.

@PCollinsTimes: @hugorifkind Quite. This is a good speech for the penultimate week of the Remain campaign.

@hugorifkind: So far, she's doing a really good job of explaining why leaving the EU is a really bad idea.

But we ARE leaving.
    Yes, and this speech is making it clearer than ever what a dozy idea leaving is.
    I'm not a politician.
    Quite right, Mr Mark. Cameron and Osborne, who headed up the Remain campaign, were totally useless. Tell us: why did you go out campaigning for them?
    Because they promised a Referendum in their Manifesto.

A Referendum your lot blocked, at a point when it would probably have been won by Remain.
  • Options

PClipp said:

Scott_P said:

But we ARE leaving.
    I'm not a politician.
    Because they promised a Referendum in their Manifesto.

A Referendum your lot blocked, at a point when it would probably have been won by Remain.
    After which it would have been settled for a generation!
  • Options

LOL - Barnesian?

• Options
    edited March 2018

AndyJS said:
    This poll also shows that ‘Right to Leave’ is now only one point adrift of ‘Wrong to Leave’.

Curious you forgot to mention that.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    rawzer said:

scotslass said:

You've obviously never had to listen to Peter Hain - he opens his speeches by apologising for being dull
    Mark Anthony does the same in Shakespeare.
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    RoyalBlue said:

AndyJS said:
    This poll also shows that ‘Right to Leave’ is now only one point adrift of ‘Wrong to Leave’

Curious you forgot to mention that.
    Cherry picker?
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited March 2018

It's a red line for Sinn Fein and it will never happen. It was all a ploy by Veradkhar anyway to turn the heat up on them given the weakness of his parliamentary majority. He also runs a minority government.

SF headed by Mary Lou McDonald is a much tougher challenge as she doesn't have the baggage. She is a Dublin girl who visits her mum in Tipperary at the weekends - not linked to the past.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,709
    glw said:

The Remainers are like Trump, you think they can't stoop any lower and then they prove you wrong.
    Trump and Brexit go hand in hand, even some of the players are the same.
  • Options
    @EmporersNewC: RT @SebDance: The view from European Parliament’s largest group: https://twitter.com/manfredweber/status/969590706695213056
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,280
    Floater said:

rpjs said:

Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

I took an "executive decision" on Monday and arranged for my entire team to work from home - none of us has been in office since Monday.
    Yep they told me in the pub yesterday afternoon.
  • Options
    That's been the UK government's position from the start. I don't know why anyone thinks Theresa May hasn't been clear; the uncertainty is entirely on the EU side, as we don't know what position they will take. (Yes, I know they say 'no cherry-picking', but then they seem to want to pick cherries themselves on fisheries, Ireland, rights of EU citizens, and most of all on security, so I don't think we need to take that too seriously).
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

glw said:

Trump and Brexit go hand in hand, even some of the players are the same.
    Trump goes with anyone who is useful, even if it is only for a day.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,578
    Floater said:

Off-topic:

The investigation into the Leicester explosion seems to be getting more intriguing:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-43255379

Rumours of an illegal distillery I saw in one paper

Arrested under consiracy to cause explosions, but also proceeds of crime act.

Sounds like illegal chemistry rather terror related, but ongoing. Neither shop nor flat were muslim occupied.
  • Options
    Floater said:

LOL - Barnesian?

For uninitiated historians on PB:

Barnesian performativity after sociologist Barry Barnes. In economics “the use of a model (or some other aspect of economics makes it “more true””. MacKenzie admits that the opposite, counter-performability might also be true, that using an economic theory makes something less true.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    RobD said:

Campaigned for is a bit of a stretch I think, she did the maximum amount of fence-sitting possible. At best she's a lukewarm Remainer leading a Leave party, as opposed to Corbyn, a lukewarm Leaver leading a (very) pro-Remain party.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@EmporersNewC: RT @SebDance: The view from European Parliament’s largest group: https://twitter.com/manfredweber/status/969590706695213056

What in the speech made them more concerned?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Except the fact that the UK is leaving, and won't be joining a customs union? :p
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Scott_P said:

I think the delusion lies more with him - today May was pragmatic and generous. He needs to accept that the EU is going to have to shift ground.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Floater said:

Off-topic:

The investigation into the Leicester explosion seems to be getting more intriguing:

Sounds like illegal chemistry rather terror related, but ongoing. Neither shop nor flat were muslim occupied.
    The early reports were of a moonshine factory, as opposed to a bomb-making factory. Let’s hope that turns out to be the case.
  • Options
    He really is an odious little man. Petty, small-minded and blinkered
  • Options
    Verhofstadt, probably the most unbiased commentator on such matters in all of Europe.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Well then Manfred, explain to the EU countries that their Budget contributions are going up from 2019..... That £39,000,000,000.00 you've already spent? Well, they are going to have to bridge that themselves.

• Options
    The Uk is principles based whist the rest of Europe is rules based.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,938
    Just so everyone knows, the weather is pretty appalling in Los Angeles too. It's actually RAINING.

Still, that means there will be great snow on the mountains and I can go skiing tomorrow.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,910
    The speech had slot of serious proposals.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    RobD said:

Verhofstadt, probably the most unbiased commentator on such matters in all of Europe.
    I think like with all things, there's loons on both side of the argument. Verhofstadt is one of them.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    Top speech.

Have a suspicion we'll see 3 or 4 of the Tory 'rebels' come back on the Govt's side over this silly customs union amendment (the third customs union amendment, I might add, to Brexit bills).

Leaving Corbz standing, looking silly, with Blair and Major.

Would be lovely politics if it comes to pass.
  • Options
    The UK position seems to be pretty much exactly what the Institute of Directors has proposed:

https://www.iod.com/news/navigating-brexit-for-business/articles/business-leaders-propose-hybrid-option-for-post-brexit-trade
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

Floater said:

Off-topic:

The early reports were of a moonshine factory, as opposed to a bomb-making factory. Let’s hope that turns out to be the case.
    Do you have 100% proof?
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Scott_P said:

If that’s the sort of response that comes out of the EU tonight, then we might as well start preparing now for no deal. And we can do a ceremonial setting fire to a big cheque to make our point if they want.

A polite response would be that while there are still considerable areas of difference, we look forward to getting around the table to move the discussions on.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    rcs1000 said:

Just so everyone knows, the weather is pretty appalling in Los Angeles too. It's actually RAINING.

Still, that means there will be great snow on the mountains and I can go skiing tomorrow.

Yawn. Fancy having to travel to ski. I could carve down my road from my ski in ski out chalet (#houseinCardiff)
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    rcs1000 said:

Rain in Dubai today too, our own little version of winter! ;)
    Only 22 degrees C too, bloody freezing.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,938
    Re voter ID. Until relatively recently, I didn't have a driving license.

This meant the only photo ID I had was my passport. So, if Mrs May called her snap election when the Passport Authority was renewing my passport, or when the Indian or US Embassy had it for a visa, then I'd be SoL.

There's a delicate balance here.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,975
    Mr. Mortimer, hasn't Soubry already rubbished it?

I'd still be unsurprised if the Government lost the CU vote. When is it, incidentally?
  • Options
    Saffers in the brown stuff
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

If that’s the sort of response that comes out of the EU tonight, then we might as well start preparing now for no deal.

A polite response would be that while there are still considerable areas of difference, we look forward to getting around the table to move the discussions on.
    Weber isn't around the table - which is something.

I suspect the official response will be more measured
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    It was a reasonable speech. I doubt the EU will be reasonable.

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    edited March 2018

Mr. Mortimer, hasn't Soubry already rubbished it?

I'd still be unsurprised if the Government lost the CU vote. When is it, incidentally?

Soubry and Clarkey are irreconcilable.

But others will, I suspect, come into line.

Djangoly, Hammond etc

Edit: plus others of the 'rebels' have voted against the customs union amendments previously, I suspect.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

This meant the only photo ID I had was my passport. So, if Mrs May called her snap election when the Passport Authority was renewing my passport, or when the Indian or US Embassy had it for a visa, then I'd be SoL.

The trial is looking at a whole range of options - photo and non-photo. Better to let the trials take place before worrying about something that might not happen.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Floater said:

rpjs said:

Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Yep they told me in the pub yesterday afternoon.
    Oh, you were that annoying bloke we met?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

What in the speech made them more concerned?
    As if Scott cares - he is all about the headline
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

Floater said:

Off-topic:

Do you have 100% proof?
    Maybe 140% proof ;)
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

If that’s the sort of response that comes out of the EU tonight, then we might as well start preparing now for no deal. And we can do a ceremonial setting fire to a big cheque to make our point if they want.

Neither Weber nor Verhofstadt are principals in the negotiation. These minor characters can rant and rave all they like, but they are not going to block a deal agreed by Barnier and the 27 heads of government.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I thought the proposals would even include things like utility bills.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Unsurprisingly neither William nor Scott have pasted Barniers response....

Just some dull droids from the deepest dungeon of Strasbourg.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    TGOHF said:

Unsurprisingly neither William nor Scott have pasted Barniers response....

Just some dull droids from the deepest dungeon of Strasbourg.

What’s Barnier said?
  • Options
    Interesting latest tweet from Trump.
    Good news for Singapore ?
  • Options

@MichelBarnier
    10m10 minutes ago
    More
    I welcome PM @theresa_may speech. Clarity about #UK leaving Single Market and Customs Union & recognition of trade-offs will inform #EUCO guidelines re: future FTA.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    rawzer said:

Pulpstar said:

Good speech.

I'd forget about the City having any negotiated settlement as part of Brexit - they're on their own. Its all about saving the UKs automotive and aerospace industry at the moment.
This discussion has been closed.