Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Blow for LAB as YouGov finds Corbyn’s approach to Brexit getti

Comments

• Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

welshowl said:

Ishmael_Z said:

welshowl said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

But your attempt to try to get us to take sides is pathetic. I and my family love the Italians, have had many holidays there, and I like all Europeans without exemption

That's not what I'm doing at all. I'm trying (and obviously failing) to make the case that we are Europeans, and our closeness with Australians etc, is not in conflict with that.
    I actually agree, and its a reason I don't see why culturally it is so devastating to leave the EU, since we will still be europeans too.
    Because too many people see asserting our non-Europeanness as the point of Brexit. To me this is what makes being outside the EU different for us than it is for, say, Switzerland. No Swiss person would say, as we've seen here, "I am not a European."
    That some people see that as the point does not mean for those who do see that they can be european and british in a cultural sense that that will no longer be the case. The loss of the specific aspects of the EU can be lamented as those will indeed be gone, but you will not cease to be european culturally just because others insist we are not. After all, plenty of people did not feel european even while we are within the EU, and that didn't render your view false.
    Quite. I don’t need the EU to appreciate the Loire Chateaux, Mozart, or the book of Kells.
    We aren't culturally European anyway. Our literature and painting have always been entirely distinct, we take architecture from them but make it our own, classical music was just something we aren't very good at, and in modern terms here's a list: Rolling Stones, the Who, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Clash, Oasis, Blur, and Queen. Here's another: Dylan, Grateful Dead, Hendrix, Neil Young, Prince, Ramones, Velvet Underground, The Doors. Here's a third: Johnny Hallyday, Kraftwerk. Get my drift?
    Totally. Personally I think we are a mix, but I never thought the EU understood the links we have to the non European world. We always seemed to be having to make an either or choice, when the reality is we are a bit of both, though in terms of popular culture it’s a no contest. We are part of the Anglosphere.
    There was never any compulsion to make an either or choice.

What is Ireland part of?
    Dunno. I’m not Irish. They can feel what they want, good luck to them.

I know how I feel, and how the EU made me feel awkward in retrospect, as a member.

I’d rather be a good neighbour than a surly lodger to quote Mr Salmond.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Corbyn's no longer authentic on Brexit and the public knows it.

He looks completely out of his depth
    He has hardly had much to compete with on that score since the election though - most now take that view of May too!
    Today's speech in complexity and depth is far removed from anything Corbyn could dream of doing.
    I doubt that ! Such speeches are 90% written by civil servants . Corbyn would also have those resources available to him.
    TM demonstrated a knowledge far in advance than anything Corbyn could hope to emulate
    You obviously like to think that . I am not at all convinced. She is no more of a trained economist or lawyer etc than he is! He is,however, a better communicator.
    She kept the very tricky Home Office brief far longer than anyone I can remember for Labour. That is no mean achievement. It also shows up Jeremy Slacke,r who has managed to slide through life not taking responsibility for anything he didn't like....
    however she just hid for 5 years and made no decisions whatsoever so hardly encouraging.
    Not getting fired from being Home Secretary is still way, way better than her Labour predecessors could manage....
    You set a very low bar Mark
    Roy Jenkins , James Callaghan, Merlyn Rees, Frank Soskice and Chuter Ede actually did ok in the post of Home Secretary!
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

welshowl said:

Ishmael_Z said:

welshowl said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

But your attempt to try to get us to take sides is pathetic. I and my family love the Italians, have had many holidays there, and I like all Europeans without exemption

That's not what I'm doing at all. I'm trying (and obviously failing) to make the case that we are Europeans, and our closeness with Australians etc, is not in conflict with that.
    I actually agree, and its a reason I don't see why culturally it is so devastating to leave the EU, since we will still be europeans too.
    Because too many people see asserting our non-Europeanness as the point of Brexit. To me this is what makes being outside the EU different for us than it is for, say, Switzerland. No Swiss person would say, as we've seen here, "I am not a European."
    That some people see that as the point does not mean for those who do see that they can be european and british in a cultural sense that that will no longer be the case. The loss of the specific aspects of the EU can be lamented as those will indeed be gone, but you will not cease to be european culturally just because others insist we are not. After all, plenty of people did not feel european even while we are within the EU, and that didn't render your view false.
    Quite. I don’t need the EU to appreciate the Loire Chateaux, Mozart, or the book of Kells.
    We aren't culturally European anyway. Our literature and painting have always been entirely distinct, we take architecture from them but make it our own, classical music was just something we aren't very good at, and in modern terms here's a list: Rolling Stones, the Who, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Clash, Oasis, Blur, and Queen. Here's another: Dylan, Grateful Dead, Hendrix, Neil Young, Prince, Ramones, Velvet Underground, The Doors. Here's a third: Johnny Hallyday, Kraftwerk. Get my drift?
    Totally. Personally I think we are a mix, but I never thought the EU understood the links we have to the non European world. We always seemed to be having to make an either or choice, when the reality is we are a bit of both, though in terms of popular culture it’s a no contest. We are part of the Anglosphere.
    There was never any compulsion to make an either or choice.

What is Ireland part of?
    Always been much closer to Spain , Italy and other popish enclaves.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,611
    edited March 2018
    Ishmael_Z said:

welshowl said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Our literature and painting have always been entirely distinct, we take architecture from them but make it our own.
    Really?

Shakespeares plays were often set in Italy, Denmark, Greece or Rome. They are often rooted in older European stories, as were Chaucer's. Our Royal family is ethnically German, and our Puritan revolution and Non-Conformist churches in the writings of the Swiss Calvin. There are many further interactions and cultural hybridisations with mainland Europe. Ours is a distinct strand, but is most definitely part of a broader European tapestry. Both ourselves and the continent are culturally richer and better for it.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Would anyone be interested in seeing a spreadsheet featuring the constituencies which have most accurately mirrored the national swing over the last three elections?

Can't we try and guess first?
    The seat at the top of the list is interesting.
    I'm thinking it won't be Scottish.....
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995

Ishmael_Z said:

welshowl said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

The UK has always had one foot inside Europe, and one foot out. Always has, always will. So black and white arguments either which way don't work.

But, that in-and-of-itself is sufficient to explain why a federal Europe (obviously) wasn't for us.
    The UK is half European, half Anglosphere (USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand)
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Would anyone be interested in seeing a spreadsheet featuring the constituencies which have most accurately mirrored the national swing over the last three elections?

Out of 632 seats, Bedford is number 1. Here's the spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11T6XLQh2ss-Ul9UjG8TzJCvhEFMp0VmsbR8KbSZ_FL0/edit#
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Ishmael_Z said:

welshowl said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

The UK has always had one foot inside Europe, and one foot out. Always has, always will. So black and white arguments either which way don't work.

But, that in-and-of-itself is sufficient to explain why a federal Europe (obviously) wasn't for us.
    All European countries are the same. They manage it fine.
  • Options
    basicbridgebasicbridge Posts: 674
    Well surprise , surprise! Wake up time for PB political anoraks - support for Remain isn’t necessarily a one-way vote winner. Just possibly this might even have cost Corbyn the next election.

And I write as someone who voted ‘remain’....
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Question for people who feel more at home in the Anglosphere: What do you think makes us different from Australians or Canadians? Perhaps it's our Europeanness.

Quebec in the case of Canada.

Perhaps Quebec should join the EU and we could join NAFTA
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    justin124 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

He has hardly had much to compete with on that score since the election though - most now take that view of May too!
    Today's speech in complexity and depth is far removed from anything Corbyn could dream of doing.
    I doubt that ! Such speeches are 90% written by civil servants . Corbyn would also have those resources available to him.
    TM demonstrated a knowledge far in advance than anything Corbyn could hope to emulate
    You obviously like to think that . I am not at all convinced. She is no more of a trained economist or lawyer etc than he is! He is,however, a better communicator.
    She kept the very tricky Home Office brief far longer than anyone I can remember for Labour. That is no mean achievement. It also shows up Jeremy Slacke,r who has managed to slide through life not taking responsibility for anything he didn't like....
    however she just hid for 5 years and made no decisions whatsoever so hardly encouraging.
    Not getting fired from being Home Secretary is still way, way better than her Labour predecessors could manage....
    Roy Jenkins , James Callaghan, Merlyn Rees, Frank Soskice and Chuter Ede actually did ok in the post of Home Secretary!
    No Tories there Justin.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,291
    edited March 2018
  • Options
    He and Dave should have got on well.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Ishmael_Z said:

welshowl said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Albania and Switzerland? Or within the EU Denmark and Bulgaria? Yup no difference there, none at all, peas in a pod.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,932
    justin124 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

yes but he was talking about the recent ones who were indeed very dire.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

welshowl said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

You could say the same of Potugal and the Lusosphere, France and the Francosphere, Ireland and its diaspora, Spain and Latin America, Greece and its diaspora, the Pan-Slavism of Eastern Europe.

British exceptionalism is a myth.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

Who knows? The point is we’ll have more choice and opportunity (and the motive?). But I suspect as the rest of the world becomes ever more dominant in world affairs and distance continues to shrink (not much in the way of shipping costs for say a TV format service export), we will gradually diversify more away from Europe. The English language alone will nudge us there quite a bit.

If we could get to Australia in two hours on an Easyjet for a hundred quid, you'd have a point, but we can't.

And non of that stops me going to France next week!
    I wonder how many Californians could tell you where Wales is on a map...
    The point is I can tell them in nuance if they dont know, because my cultural Venn diagram overlaps theirs far more than it does a Bulgarian, or a Finn (heresy for you?). In reality in my experience most Californians without guidance struggle to point out European countries. Or even Europe on a map.
    The is an illusion created by a common language in my view.

Think of it this way: Do you think someone from Portugal has more in common with a Spaniard or a Brazilian? I think most people would say a Spaniard. Why do you think the answer is different for us?
    I’m not Brazilian or Portuguese so I haven’t the faintest. I know how I feel. And I feel massively more at home in Melbourne than I do in Marseille- and I speak French and have lived there.
    How at home do you feel in Finsbury?
    This is fascinating.
    I would say we in the UK have most in common with:
    1) the ROI
    2) NZ
    3) Aus
    4) Canada
    5) Some European countries - let's say Netherlands, Norway, Denmark
    6) USA
    7) Some other European countries - Germany, Sweden, Finalnd
    8) Some other European countries - France, Italy, Spain

5, 6, 7 and 8are very fluid though.

As to Spain - I'd expect a Spaniard would have more in common with a Portuguese than most, and indeed the two languages are fairly close. But I'd also say a Spaniard would have more in common with an Arggentine than a German. But I'm not a Spaniard - I'm only guessing.

I offer this as my opinion, and I would be interested to know what others think. I genuinely think language is massively important - the more polyglotally inclined and those with connections in Europe will obviously feel different, and there is no right answer.
    We share a monarch with NZ, Aus and Canada unlike with the ROI
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Foxy said:

Ishmael_Z said:

welshowl said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Our literature and painting have always been entirely distinct, we take architecture from them but make it our own.
    Really?

Shakespeares plays were often set in Italy, Denmark, Greece or Rome. They are often rooted in older European stories, as were Chaucer's. Our Royal family is ethnically German, and our Puritan revolution and Non-Conformist churches in the writings of the Swiss Calvin. There are many further interactions and cultural hybridisations with mainland Europe. Ours is a distinct strand, but is most definitely part of a broader European tapestry. Both ourselves and the continent are culturally richer and better for it.

We have links with them, of course we do, but we have links with lots of places. Shakespeare isn't a brilliant example: if someone who can write a whole play set in Venice with not a single nod to the whole canal thing, we can take it it's just a name to him. Our religious setup owes a lot more to being anti-European than being pro. And so on.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:
    Did he ask for a double and Dave bought a single?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Dave resigned - Junckers should have gone too but at least his legacy is that he lost the UK for the EU
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11T6XLQh2ss-Ul9UjG8TzJCvhEFMp0VmsbR8KbSZ_FL0/edit#
    Yet Bedford went Labour and we still have a Tory PM

So of the marginals on that list I give it to Mid Derbyshire, Tory 1992, Labour 1997-2010, Tory 2010 - and the 29th closest to the national swing in 2017
  • Options
    welshowl said:

TGOHF said:
    Did he ask for a double and Dave bought a single?
    :lol:
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Jonathan said:

Ishmael_Z said:

welshowl said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

That some people see that as the point does not mean for those who do see that they can be european and british in a cultural sense that that will no longer be the case. The loss of the specific aspects of the EU can be lamented as those will indeed be gone, but younsist we are not. After all, plenty of people did not feel european even while we are within the EU, and that didn't render your view false.

Albania and Switzerland? Or within the EU Denmark and Bulgaria? Yup no difference there, none at all, peas in a pod.
    The idea that the UK is unique in balancing European and Global interests is absurd. The idea that France ir Germany have been inhibited in their global ambitions by the EU doesn't match the facts.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

Who knows? The point is we’ll have more choice and opportunity (and the motive?). But I suspect as the rest of the world becomes ever more dominant in world affairs and distance continues to shrink (not much in the way of shipping costs for say a TV format service export), we will gradually diversify more away from Europe. The English language alone will nudge us there quite a bit.

If we could get to Australia in two hours on an Easyjet for a hundred quid, you'd have a point, but we can't.

The point is I can tell them in nuance if they dont know, because my cultural Venn diagram overlaps theirs far more than it does a Bulgarian, or a Finn (heresy for you?). In reality in my experience most Californians without guidance struggle to point out European countries. Or even Europe on a map.

Think of it this way: Do you think someone from Portugal has more in common with a Spaniard or a Brazilian? I think most people would say a Spaniard. Why do you think the answer is different for us?
    I’m not Brazilian or Portuguese so I haven’t the faintest. I know how I feel. And I feel massively more at home in Melbourne than I do in Marseille- and I speak French and have lived there.
    This is fascinating.
    I would

As to Spain - I'd expect a Spaniard would have more in common with a Portuguese than most, and indeed the two languages are fairly close. But I'd also say a Spaniard would have more in common with an Arggentine than a German. But I'm not a Spaniard - I'm only guessing.

I offer this as my opinion, and I would be interested to know what others think. I genuinely think language is massively important - the more polyglotally inclined and those with connections in Europe will obviously feel different, and there is no right answer.
    Though she has a German-Greek husband, and cousins all over the royal houses of Europe, albeit some deposed.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Dave resigned - Junckers should have gone too but at least his legacy is that he lost the UK for the EU
    Omg we actually agree on something. Juncker should have gone.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

And why should we not agree from time to time
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

welshowl said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

You could say the same of Potugal and the Lusosphere, Spain and the Francosphere, Ireland and its diaspora, Spain and Latin America, Greece and its diaspora, the Pan-Slavism of Eastern Europe.

Absolutely
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    edited March 2018
    Jonathan said:

welshowl said:

The idea that the UK is unique in balancing European and Global interests is absurd. The idea that France ir Germany have been inhibited in their global ambitions by the EU doesn't match the facts.
    The French hard-left Eurosceptic Jean-Luc Mélenchon says that France is not European or Western: it is universal, because it is present on 5 continents. As nuts as our Brexiteers.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

This is fascinating.
    1) the ROI
    2) NZ
    3) Aus
    4) Canada
    6) USA

We share a monarch with Papua New Guinea too, but I don't think we or they would consider them to be very culturally akin with us.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

So of the marginals on that list I give it to Lincoln
    In the past Bedford has tended to be more Tory leaning than Lincoln. After a very narrow win in 1966 , Labour failed to win Bedford again until 1997. Lincoln fell to the Tories for the first time since World War 2 in 1979. Of course, boundary changes may have affected voting patterns in both seats.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

So of the marginals on that list I give it to Mid Derbyshire, Tory 1992, Labour 1997-2010, Tory 2010 -
    Yes but that would be thinking in terms of traditional bellwethers, which is to say where the result itself is in line with the national result. I was trying to do something slightly different and focus on the swing, which means that if one of the seats at the top of the list is declared early at the next election it may be possible to have a good idea of what the overall swing is going to be if the seat remains a good indicator of swing (which isn't guaranteed of course).

In other words, if Bedford declares early next time and it's a 1% swing to Labour, it may be a fairly good indicator that the national swing will be around 1% to Labour as well, even if the swing is, say, 3% to Labour or 1% to the Conservatives with all the seats declared at that time. It would be best of course to take a selection of the seats at the top of the list rather than just one or two.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

This is fascinating.
    I would

Though she has a German-Greek husband, and cousins all over the royal houses of Europe, albeit some deposed.
    None she still is Head of State of
  • Options
    rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

This is fascinating.
    1) the ROI
    2) NZ
    3) Aus
    4) Canada
    6) USA

We share a monarch with Papua New Guinea too, but I don't think we or they would consider them to be very culturally akin with us.
    We share a monarch with Yorkshire despite massive cultural differences.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

This is fascinating.
    1) the ROI
    2) NZ
    3) Aus
    4) Canada
    6) USA

True but most Australians, New Zealanders and Canadians (outside of Quebec) are of British origin
  • Options

Jonathan said:

welshowl said:

The French hard-left Eurosceptic Jean-Luc Mélenchon says that France is not European or Western: it is universal, because it is present on 5 continents. As nuts as our Brexiteers.
    Having been to Noumea in New Caledonia, he is not wrong. It is very French.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

In the past Bedford has tended to be more Tory leaning than Lincoln. After a very narrow win in 1966 , Labour failed to win Bedford again until 1997. Lincoln fell to the Tories for the first time since World War 2 in 1979. Of course, boundary changes may have affected voting patterns in both seats.
    Mid Derbyshire (and its predecessor Amber Valley) is more representative than both yes, so I changed it
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987

Question for people who feel more at home in the Anglosphere: What do you think makes us different from Australians or Canadians? Perhaps it's our Europeanness.

I don't feel very different from either Australians or Canadians.
    Does that include Quebecois and Inuit?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Lincoln is number 30 in the list which means it's also a pretty good indicator of swing.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

So of the marginals on that list I give it to Mid Derbyshire, Tory 1992, Labour 1997-2010, Tory 2010 -
    Yes but that would be thinking in terms of traditional bellwethers, which is to say where the result itself is in line with the national result. I was trying to do something slightly different and focus on the swing, which means that if one of the seats at the top of the list is declared early at the next election it may be possible to have a good idea of what the overall swing is going to be if the seat remains a good indicator of swing (which isn't guaranteed of course).

In other words, if Bedford declares early next time and it's a 1% swing to Labour, it may be a fairly good indicator that the national swing will be around 1% to Labour as well, even if the swing is, say, 3% to Labour or 1% to the Conservatives with all the seats declared at that time. It would be best of course to take a selection of the seats at the top of the list rather than just one or two.
    Perhaps but a bellwether seat is surely one where you can say as goes 'x' so goes the nation alongside reflecting national swing?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    edited March 2018
    malcolmg said:

Low bars can still be tricky, if we expect people to limbo under them rather than jump over them.
    Foxy said:

You could say the same of Potugal and the Lusosphere, France and the Francosphere, Ireland and its diaspora, Spain and Latin America, Greece and its diaspora, the Pan-Slavism of Eastern Europe.

National identities are all mere constructs, in the end, they are as real as peoples' perceptions. If sufficient people believe Britain does not culturally fit with in Europe, or that said fit does not require absolutely engagement in a political union, it is not a myth to say it therefore exists.

Personally I have no issue accepting that parts of our culture are closer to mainland europeans than the anglosphere, and vice versa. Surely one of the points of the EU, except for fanatics, was that while we share values with one another it was a melting pot of myriad peoples and cultures which retain distinct identities. Indeed, that is a gripe some have, that they believe we did not need to leave to emphasise our distinctness. That may well be true, but nor does it make our believing in a distinctness false, since within or without we are supposed to be distinct. Other nations, when it suits them, will always point to their uniqueness on some point. In that regard we are all both alike and exceptional at the same time really.
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    Jonathan said:

welshowl said:

Jonathan said:

Ishmael_Z said:

welshowl said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Only to the extent that Germany doesn't have very extensive global ambitions due to its history. France is similar to us, and its politics are similarly fractious as ours. And that's with them having far more direction over EU policy than we ever did.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Of course he should. But accountability is not a thing in the EU.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

National Swing appears to have become much less uniform than in the past- so it is probably quite a hit and miss exercise. At one time Gravesend - later Gravesham - was said to closely mirror national changes - though the seat has become much more volatile in recent decades and for the moment is safely Tory.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

justin124 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

yes but he was talking about the recent ones who were indeed very dire.

Jack Straw. "Machine-gunner" Blunkett. Charles Clarke. John Reid. Jacqui Smith (titter). Alan Johnson.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:
    He should talk to some of his supporters - some were quoted gleefully on here yesterday about how dominating the EU would be to those outside of it and weaker than it, as a positive point for some reason. Listening and guiding is at least a nobler ambition.
  • Options
    Elliot said:

Only to the extent that Germany doesn't have very extensive global ambitions due to its history. France is similar to us, and its politics are similarly fractious as ours. And that's with them having far more direction over EU policy than we ever did.

Germany is hugely successful and ambitious globally .
  • Options
    TGOHF said:
    I’m sure they’re taking notes in Beijing. What a load of pompous twaddle.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Mid Derbyshire (and its predecessor Amber Valley) is more representative than both yes, so I changed it
    There is still an Amber Valley seat.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    rcs1000 said:

I don't feel very different from either Australians or Canadians.
    Does that include Quebecois and Inuit?
    Yes. Because we have minorities in this country and Australia too, so while the Quebecois and Inuit may be a bit more "other"-ly than the Canadians I'd think of first so too in Australia are Aborigines and other minorities and so too in the UK are some minorities here.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Amber Valley is number 485 out of 632 for the last 3 elections. Not very accurate at forecasting the national swing recently. In 2015 and 2017 it moved to the Tories against the overall trend.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

This is fascinating.
    1) the ROI
    2) NZ
    3) Aus
    4) Canada
    6) USA

We share a monarch with Yorkshire despite massive cultural differences.
    Oh come on. The rest of Britain isn't that far behind.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

National Swing appears to have become much less uniform than in the past- so it is probably quite a hit and miss exercise. At one time Gravesend - later Gravesham - was said to closely mirror national changes - though the seat has become much more volatile in recent decades and for the moment is safely Tory.
    Birmingham Yardley was the mirror of national change until 1992, when it was lost to Labour despite Major winning.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Mid Derbyshire was created in 2010 mainly from the old Amber Valley seat with a bit of Erewash and Derby added too
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    Cookie said:

This is fascinating.
    1) the ROI
    2) NZ
    3) Aus
    4) Canada
    6) USA

I think this is, by and large, accurate.

I see two issues: Firstly some countries (India, South Africa, Belgium, Canada and Switzerland, among others) are inherently multi-language.

There are plenty of Indians or South Africans who cannot converse with someone of their own country. (And I know a great many Flemish Belgians whose English is far, far better than their French.) And yet somehow these continue to be functioning countries.

Secondly, to use the example of Marseilles earlier. I don't feel at home in Marseilles. But I feel very at home in Cap Ferrat and Eze, just down the coast. I think the differences inside countries can often be as large as the ones between countries. The town-rural divide being, to my mind, every bit as large as the one between most countries.
  • Options
    Soubry looking a bit dishevelled on News at 10
  • Options

justin124 said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Birmingham Yardley was the mirror of national change until 1992, when it was lost to Labour despite Major winning.
    That's true although in some ways it was always a rather unusual constituency because it had one of the highest percentage of working-class voters of any Tory seat until 1992.
  • Options

justin124 said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Yardley did not fall to the Tories ,though, until 1959.
  • Options
    BBC reporting May's speech went down well in Brussels. Also amusing to see how Corbyn's response was clearly pre-drafted given it went on the "not enough detail" line and the speech was very detailed.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Point of order: Spain is a very, very foreign country. Definitely not to be bracketed with France, Italy, or Portugal, despite the superficial similarities.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

This is fascinating.
    1) the ROI
    2) NZ
    3) Aus
    4) Canada
    6) USA

As to Spain - .
    True but most Australians, New Zealanders and Canadians (outside of Quebec) are of British origin
    Decreasingly so.

New Zealand is now over about 15% Maori, 7% Pacific Islanders,11% Asian, 2% Middle Eastern. Of the 2/3 of European heritage many are not British, indeed my own New Zealand family are part Dutch and part Maori.

Much the same applies to Canada and Australia. Vancouver is quite Chinese, Melboune quite Greek and Italian etc etc.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    kle4 said:

TGOHF said:
    He should talk to some of his supporters - some were quoted gleefully on here yesterday about how dominating the EU would be to those outside of it and weaker than it, as a positive point for some reason. Listening and guiding is at least a nobler ambition.
    Like this one? :p

https://twitter.com/APHClarkson/status/969342313045594112
  • Options

And her comments were ?
  • Options
    No country is more constrained by its history than Britain . Discuss.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Or empowered by it. It cuts both ways.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

This is fascinating.
    1) the ROI
    2) NZ
    3) Aus
    4) Canada
    6) USA

I think this is, by and large, accurate.

I see two issues: Firstly some countries (India, South Africa, Belgium, Canada and Switzerland, among others) are inherently multi-language.

There are plenty of Indians or South Africans who cannot converse with someone of their own country. (And I know a great many Flemish Belgians whose English is far, far better than their French.) And yet somehow these continue to be functioning countries.

Secondly, to use the example of Marseilles earlier. I don't feel at home in Marseilles. But I feel very at home in Cap Ferrat and Eze, just down the coast. I think the differences inside countries can often be as large as the ones between countries. The town-rural divide being, to my mind, every bit as large as the one between most countries.
    I think your last line is overstated. I grew up in a big city (as a son of immigrants) and yet still feel more familiar with English country walks, pub cricket and orchards than I do with the local culture of Rome or Warsaw. Generally, I find the big divide is between megacities and the rest, rather than urban and rural.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

This is fascinating.
    1) the ROI
    2) NZ
    3) Aus
    4) Canada
    6) USA

As to Spain - .
    Decreasingly so.

New Zealand is now over about 15% Maori, 7% Pacific Islanders,11% Asian, 2% Middle Eastern. Of the 2/3 of European heritage many are not British, indeed my own New Zealand family are part Dutch and part Maori.

Much the same applies to Canada and Australia. Vancouver is quite Chinese, Melboune quite Greek and Italian etc etc.
    So yes a clear majority of New Zealanders are still of British origin as is also the case in Canada (outside Quebec) and Australia.

The fact they also have rising ethnic minority populations does not change much, so do we.

London is almost 50% non white
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

justin124 said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

That's true although in some ways it was always a rather unusual constituency because it had one of the highest percentage of working-class voters of any Tory seat until 1992.
    Second most working class after Gosport.
  • Options

And her comments were ?
    I couldn't tell you precisely. Not particularly impressed...
  • Options
    Tier 1 - Australia, Canada, and New Zealand

Tier 2 - America

Tier 3 - ROI, Scandinavia, The Netherlands, Germany,

Tier 4 - Old Europe, Portugal, Italy, Poland, and the Eastern European countries

Tier 900 - France
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The second Amendment and America beg to disagree.

But for the top prize I would give to Russia.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The Irish could give us a run for our money!

Some countries just seem to have more history than future. It is one of the many things that we share with mainland Eurasia, and younger countries on other continents seem to have it the other way round.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Germany. Case closed. They hugely constrain themselves, or try to be seen to at the least.

In fairness they try to be exemplary, and generally are. And when they are not I’m sure it’s cock up not conspiracy.
  • Options

And her comments were ?
    With her or she was not impressed
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Jonathan said:

Germany. Case closed. They hugely constrain themselves, or try to be seen to at the least.

In fairness they try to be exemplary, and generally are. And when they are not I’m sure it’s cock up not conspiracy.
    That's slightly different. Germany's history does not prevent it from having a totally clear view of its enlightened self-interest in the present day in the way that I think is true of both Russia and the UK.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

TGOHF said:
    I’m sure they’re taking notes in Beijing. What a load of pompous twaddle.
    To be fair I think he is just rehashing what Blair said the UK's relationship with the EU should be.
    Jonathan said:

I am uncomfortable with any claim that the UK is exceptional in any respect. Just for instance I think there were at least 10 genocides in the twentieth century, and I'd have thought any of the host countries would have a greater historical weight on their shoulders than any of the others.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

I don't know how one would begin to quantify that. There are plenty of nations still arguing over disputes minor or major stretching back hundreds of years and which inform their directions to great or lesser degrees. Constrained by history going back how far? To what extent does the impact of that history fluctuate? Are we only including negative constraints?
  • Options

Tier 2 - America

Tier 4 - Old Europe, Portugal, Italy, Poland, and the Eastern European countries

Tier 900 - France

Agree - lot of Scots connections with Canada and Scandinavia
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    welshowl said:

Jonathan said:

Correct - if they had won WWII they wouldn’t be letting in 1M Syrian refugees.
  • Options

Tier 2 - America

Tier 900 - France

Different take.

Tier 1 - France, USA.
    Tier 2 - Aus,NZ,Canada,ROI
    Tier 3 - Western Europe and Rest of Commonwealth
  • Options

Tier 2 - America

What, all several dozen of the countries there?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

This is

As to Spain - .
    Decreasingly so.

So yes a clear majority of New Zealanders are still of British origin as is also the case in Canada (outside Quebec) and Australia.

The fact they also have rising ethnic minority populations does not change much, so do we.

If you discount the Irish! about 25% of "British" Australians and Kiwis are of Irish extraction. It is part of the strong strand of republicanism there.

More than half of Australians have one or both parents born overseas. Decreasingly British.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

And her comments were ?
    Who in their right mind could be impressed with Soubry?
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Jonathan said:

Modern Germany is liberated from its history . Essentially it has to operate if the world began in 1990.
  • Options
    I've been using Andy's spreadsheet and it is interesting to see which seats have had the biggest cumulative swing to Con and which to Lab over the last 3 elections. The top 20 cumulative swings Con to Lab are mostly in London and the big cities:

Bradford W
    Bethnal Green
    Poplar
    Brum Hall Green
    Walthamstow
    Ilford S
    Bristol W
    Hove
    Manc Withington
    E Ham
    Brum Hodge Hill
    Leicester S
    Dulwich
    Hackney S
    Hackney N
    Holborn
    Hammersmith
    Sheffield Hallam
    Edinburgh S
    Leyton

The top 20 cumulative swings Lab to Con are in Scotland and the Midlands

Aberdeen S
    Cannock
    Ayr
    Falkirk
    Bolsover
    Brigg
    Airdrie
    Moray
    Inverness
    Leics NW
    Kirkcaldy
    Glasgow E
    Linlithgow
    Kilmarnock
    Mansfield
    Lanark
    Warks N
    Livingstone
    Ayrshire Central
    Stoke N
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

welshowl said:

Jonathan said:

Modern Germany is liberated from its history . Essentially it has to operate if the world began in 1990.
    Hmm, pretence and guilt are not liberation.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Jonathan said:

welshowl said:

Jonathan said:

I found it very interesting to see the long-term polling showing that support for the EU in the UK peaked around the time of German reunification and the end of the Cold War (and of course the fall of Thatcher).
  • Options

And her comments were ?
    She was not impressed with May's speech
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

This is

As to Spain - .

If you discount the Irish! about 25% of "British" Australians and Kiwis are of Irish extraction. It is part of the strong strand of republicanism there.

More than half of Australians have one or both parents born overseas. Decreasingly British.
    Do you think it's good if the British population decreases?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Tier 2 - America

What, all several dozen of the countries there?
    That's the Americas isn't it?

I mean of course Les États-Unis
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    Plenty of cultural commonality between Canada and the UK.

Brampton is just like Southall, but with nicer houses.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

welshowl said:

Jonathan said:

That's deep. Not sure you're right.
  • Options

And her comments were ?
    Soubry herself maybe
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

Tier 2 - America

Tier 900 - France

France ranked far too high!
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

And her comments were ?
    Is that impressive enough to be impressed?
  • Options

And her comments were ?
    Her fellow remainer, Nicky Morgan, was apparenty
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

The point is I can tell them in nuance if t to point out European countries. Or even Europe on a map.

This is

As to Spain - .
    Decreasingly so.

So yes a clear majority of New Zealanders are still of British origin on white

Given plenty of Brits still emigrate to Australia (It is our number 1 destination for emigration) having a parent born overseas in Australia does not really change the point a vast amount.

Of course when the Australians voted on the monarchy 55% voted for, the same as voted No in Scotland and 3% more than voted Leave here
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Jonathan said:

welshowl said:

Jonathan said:

But it doesn't though, the way it is now, the sort of country it wants to be, and not be, is based on what took place before. That's not a bad thing in their case, clearly, but just because they are reacting positively in response to their recent history does not mean they are not massively impacted and therefore contained by it. Heck, for any country that breaks so decisively away from either ancient tradition or more recent negative history, that break is itself showing the impact and constraint of said history due to the reaction to it.

It's why I struggle with the idea we are more constrained by our history than other nations would be, it seems more likely all are equally constrained, but it shows itself more obviously in some than others, particularly when it comes to negative parts.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

welshowl said:

Jonathan said:

That's deep. Not sure you're right.
    Have you read this (or listened to the original broadcasts)?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Germany-Memories-Dr-Neil-MacGregor/dp/0241008336

Absolutely fascinating stuff. History is ever-present in Germany, but unspoken. And it was a glorious history, until the 30th January 1933.

This discussion has been closed.