Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Introducing the new Confident Corbyn

Comments

• Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

Mr. Eye, interesting how often people cite the SPD but not UKIP (ok, not many MPs but they've had a huge impact) or En Marche.

These darn acronyms! Anyways, the great white hopes of the Social Democrats, large support in the polls, but not when it came to the crunch of people putting their cross on the ballot paper. How long would it take for Blair's Centrists to merge with what is left of the present LibDems?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

Mr. Jessop, I don't hate flying, but I'm not fond of airports. Fortunately, I'm also not bothered about holidays. Not been on a plan for some years.

Use private Airport lounges...let them eat cake Nando’s.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653

I thought it was a precondition of being able to post on PB that one only flew business class?

On a serious note, Norwegian air, what are they like? I need to fly to west coast of us in a few months and at the moment they are nearly half the cost of BA.

Make sure you are doing a “like for like” comparison and include things like luggage, food etc. The “extras” can add up quite quickly.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    rkrkrk said:

So, Virgin Upper Class is a lot better than BA business - and substantially cheaper too. Having just done the HK flight on Virgin having been a very loyal BA custmer up to now, I am shocked at how bad BA is in comparison.

It may be heresy on this board - but honestly I don’t get the fuss about business class travel. I would have to be extremely rich to even consider paying for it out of my own pocket.

If work offered me the choice of business or economy plus half the difference in cash I wouldn’t have to think. I find it incredible that so many people claim they can’t sleep in a chair that reclines.
    Yup, what I'd pay the extra for would be if they'd send a box to my door and I could go to sleep in it and get shipped directly to my destination. I don't care how they stack me in on the way, as long as I'm properly sedated.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

I thought it was a precondition of being able to post on PB that one only flew business class?

On a serious note, Norwegian air, what are they like? I need to fly to west coast of us in a few months and at the moment they are nearly half the cost of BA.

Make sure you are doing a “like for like” comparison and include things like luggage, food etc. The “extras” can add up quite quickly.
    The half price Includes luggage, don’t care about food for half the cost. More interested to know leg room, seat comfort, inflight wifi etc.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Eye, the acronym you need to worry about is the one for Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. There is another meaning for CBT, and you really don't want to get it wrong (NSFW).

A new party here could work but Blair's got a lot of baggage.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

OP and Corbyn -- what is the Kremlinology of Corbyn's adopting more traditional LOTO tactics in parliament? Who is he taking advice from now, that he wasn't before?

Interesting question! It does suggest less influence for Milne - but more for who?? Starmer?
    Someone has certainly got to him in the last couple of weeks at PMQs. It’s a noticable change, rather like when he got dragged to the tailor a year or so ago. Starmer, is a very likely candidate, especially given the focus on Brexit.

That said, he chose the one issue that the polling suggests people want the politicians to be adults about, rather than go out of their way to score partisan points, so maybe it was Watson behind it - before his own little local difficulties last week.

Corbyn’s reaction to the PM’s speech yesterday made it quite obvious that neither he nor any of his 15 staff actually watched it in detail. A point that wasn’t actually raised yesterday but has been noted in the past, is that it would be much better to see these set piece speeches by senior ministers made in Parliament.
    Not sure actually. The audience here is the 27 leaders of the EU countries and the Commission negotiators. A thoughtful and important foreign policy speech needs to be made on a considered way - the bear pit in the Commons is not conducive to that
    The bear pit is exactly the right place. The ability to challenge and ask questions is what distinguishes our democracy from the bureaucracy. Ultimately it leads to better policy.
    Nah - you have a debate on the matter beforehand, sure, but with the actual speech no. Foreign policy is different - for example you are discouraged from using notes and I’d be nervous about the PM (or the FS FFS) making that speech from memory
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    RoyalBlue said:

rkrkrk said:

So, Virgin Upper Class is a lot better than BA business - and substantially cheaper too. Having just done the HK flight on Virgin having been a very loyal BA custmer up to now, I am shocked at how bad BA is in comparison.

It may be heresy on this board - but honestly I don’t get the fuss about business class travel. I would have to be extremely rich to even consider paying for it out of my own pocket.

If work offered me the choice of business or economy plus half the difference in cash I wouldn’t have to think. I find it incredible that so many people claim they can’t sleep in a chair that reclines.
    I cannot sleep on a normal aircraft seat (I’ve never flown business-class). The only exception was when, due to overbooking, I travelled from ATL to LGW via CDG and LHR, and managed to get some kip on the Paris to London flight. I had been awake for about 30 hours by that point.
    Sounds obvious but I find it helps to be tired before flying.
    I try to resist the on board alcohol also.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896

Not flown with them myself, but feedback from friends says they’re very good if a little no-frills, new planes and well priced. I think bags and meals cost extra on some services and fares though, so check what’s included in the price when comparing to others.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

ydoethur said:

geoffw said:

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

rcs1000 said:

With tattoos, and a military background.

People get excited about ex-mil candidates (PB tories in particular get rock hard about any tory MP with a very average military career) but do any of them ever succeed at the highest level?

The last major politician with a significant military record was Bush Snr. Are there any others?

Paddy Ashdown was the last Party Leader who saw active service. Before that I would reckon Edward Heath, and before that MacMillan (wounded on the Somme as I recall). Eden, Churchill and Attlee all had active WW1 service too.

As a general rule, I agree. Soldiers, and tycoons like Trump, do not make very good politicians. Democracy is a different skill set.
    Callaghan (Naval Lieutenant).
    I thought Callaghan was in a supporting role, rather than active. I am not an expert and I could be wrong but my understanding is he was never involved in any action. That is not in any way to denigrate his service, overlook the fact that when he volunteered he doubtless fully expected a combat role or to forget that such roles are vital to success in wartime.

If we're talking about leaders of the opposition here as well, shouldn't we at least mention John Kerry? (Edit - and arguably McCain as well.)
    Just following on from my comments about Truman earlier. I hadn't realised that when WW2 broke out as a reservist he volunteered to go back on active service. He was turned down partly because of his age but also because Roosevelt wanted all Senators and Congressmen to maintain their seats in Washington, not to go on active service.

According to Wiki, 23 British MPs were killed on active service in WW2 and one died serving with the Home Guard whilst training
    In WW1, Churchill started in the Cabinet, rejoined the army and fought in the trenches at Plug Street and Ypres, then rejoined the government as Minister for Munitions,
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653

The half price Includes luggage, don’t care about food for half the cost. More interested to know leg room, seat comfort, inflight wifi etc.
    https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Norwegian_Air_Shuttle/Norwegian_Air_Shuttle_Boeing_787-8.php#

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/British_Airways/British_Airways_Airbus_A380_new.php#

I haven’t flown Norwegian but all the 787s I’ve flown (3 different airlines) I’ve found the seats hard while the 380 is spacious, comfortable and quiet.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

RoyalBlue said:

rkrkrk said:

I cannot sleep on a normal aircraft seat (I’ve never flown business-class). The only exception was when, due to overbooking, I travelled from ATL to LGW via CDG and LHR, and managed to get some kip on the Paris to London flight. I had been awake for about 30 hours by that point.
    Sounds obvious but I find it helps to be tired before flying.
    I try to resist the on board alcohol also.
    For an overnight in economy, the trick is to turn up just on the right side of drunk to not have a row with the crew, use then bathroom then fall asleep. :)
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534
    Sandpit said:

Not flown with them myself, but feedback from friends says they’re very good if a little no-frills, new planes and well priced. I think bags and meals cost extra on some services and fares though, so check what’s included in the price when comparing to others.
    Done Oslo a few times. Very good, new aircraft, WiFi free. Definitely no worse than BA economy, but way cheaper
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    In relation to Macron a comment I heard was we have already sort of had our Macron in '97. There are a few differences but the comment rung sort of true to me, the problem now is that to some degree that way has been discredited in the eyes of some and probably couldn't get the same kind of success it had previously even if you had a new version of Blair rather than the tainted version that hangs around lecturing the voters.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,058

rkrkrk said:

Yup, what I'd pay the extra for would be if they'd send a box to my door and I could go to sleep in it and get shipped directly to my destination. I don't care how they stack me in on the way, as long as I'm properly sedated.
    I hope Michael O’Leary isn’t reading this.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942

rkrkrk said:

I hope Michael O’Leary isn’t reading this.
    :)
  • Options
    edited March 2018

In relation to Macron a comment I heard was we have already sort of had our Macron in '97. There are a few differences but the comment rung sort of true to me, the problem now is that to some degree that way has been discredited in the eyes of some and probably couldn't get the same kind of success it had previously even if you had a new version of Blair rather than the tainted version that hangs around lecturing the voters.

Even at his peak Blair was so needlessly divisive. I think Macron doesn't have the same messianic streak (although I wouldn't rule out his monarchical streak causing problems at some point).

This speech was even worse than May's 'citizens of nowhere' for 'othering' a large part of the country.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/460009.stm

The forces of conservatism allied to racism are why one of the heroes of the 20th Century, Martin Luther King, is dead.

It's why another, Nelson Mandela, spent the best years of his life in a cell the size of a bed.

And though the fact that Mandela is alive, free and became President, is a sign of the progress we have made: the fact that Stephen Lawrence is dead, for no other reason than he was born black, is a sign of how far we still have to go.

And they still keep opposing progress and justice.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    saddo said:

Sandpit said:

Done Oslo a few times. Very good, new aircraft, WiFi free. Definitely no worse than BA economy, but way cheaper
    It's just the Norwegian Air take-offs. When they launch down that ski jump ramp......
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Even at his peak Blair was so needlessly divisive. I think Macron doesn't have the same messianic streak (although I wouldn't rule out his monarchical streak causing problems at some point).

This speech was even worse than May's 'citizens of nowhere' for 'othering' a large part of the country.

The forces of conservatism allied to racism are why one of the heroes of the 20th Century, Martin Luther King, is dead.

It's why another, Nelson Mandela, spent the best years of his life in a cell the size of a bed.

And though the fact that Mandela is alive, free and became President, is a sign of the progress we have made: the fact that Stephen Lawrence is dead, for no other reason than he was born black, is a sign of how far we still have to go.

Macron is flailing in the polls because he has no natural constituency. The comparisons with Clegg are apt indeed.

Blair's success was in part due to taking control of a party yearning for power, rather than starting a new one.

• Options
    Mortimer said:

Macron is flailing in the polls because he has no natural constituency. The comparisons with Clegg are apt indeed.

Blair's success was in part due to taking control of a party yearning for power, rather than starting a new one.

Macron isn't flailing. He's implementing serious reforms and maintaining decent support. Compare his support with mid-term early Thatcher for example.

@CarlottaVance ignored a more recent poll:
    https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/969278558563532800
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534

saddo said:

Sandpit said:

It's just the Norwegian Air take-offs. When they launch down that ski jump ramp......
    That's the free in flight entertainment.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926

Britain Elects
    @britainelects
    39m39 minutes ago

Britain was [X] to vote to leave the EU:

Right: 44% (+2)
    Wrong: 45% (-)

via @YouGov, 26 - 27 Feb
    Chgs. w/ 19 - 20 Feb
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Macron isn't flailing. He's implementing serious reforms and maintaining decent support. Compare his support with mid-term early Thatcher for example.

Do you ever accept any criticism of/bad news for any pro EU party/politician?
  • Options
    Thanks for info guys, might risk them even if I have to sit next to somebody who thinks KFC is fine dining.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    It's the Oscars tomorrow. Have I missed Roger's thread?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

I heavily criticised Tony Blair in this very discussion. ;)
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Thanks for info guys, might risk them even if I have to sit next to somebody who thinks KFC is fine dining.

Savages - have they never had a Nando's?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    edited March 2018

Our experience of Norwegian Air has been very good. Most of the other passengers seemed to be Norwegians on shopping trips to London... so all very polite and friendly :smile:

EDIT: just seen your original post - maybe not so many on a shopping trip to London on the US west coast flight :wink:
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231

Just so long as they don't take pineapple on their pizza...
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836

ydoethur said:

geoffw said:

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

rcs1000 said:

People get excited about ex-mil candidates (PB tories in particular get rock hard about any tory MP with a very average military career) but do any of them ever succeed at the highest level?

The last major politician with a significant military record was Bush Snr. Are there any others?

Paddy Ashdown was the last Party Leader who saw active service. Before that I would reckon Edward Heath, and before that MacMillan (wounded on the Somme as I recall). Eden, Churchill and Attlee all had active WW1 service too.

As a general rule, I agree. Soldiers, and tycoons like Trump, do not make very good politicians. Democracy is a different skill set.
    I thought Callaghan was in a supporting role, rather than active. I am not an expert and I could be wrong but my understanding is he was never involved in any action. That is not in any way to denigrate his service, overlook the fact that when he volunteered he doubtless fully expected a combat role or to forget that such roles are vital to success in wartime.

If we're talking about leaders of the opposition here as well, shouldn't we at least mention John Kerry? (Edit - and arguably McCain as well.)
    Just following on from my comments about Truman earlier. I hadn't realised that when WW2 broke out as a reservist he volunteered to go back on active service. He was turned down partly because of his age but also because Roosevelt wanted all Senators and Congressmen to maintain their seats in Washington, not to go on active service.

According to Wiki, 23 British MPs were killed on active service in WW2 and one died serving with the Home Guard whilst training
    That reflects well on our MP's. Though nothing could rival the record of the Roman Senate, most of whom died fighting Hannibal.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

geoffw said:

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

rcs1000 said:

That reflects well on our MP's. Though nothing could rival the record of the Roman Senate, most of whom died fighting Hannibal.
    A tradition freely borrowed by Geoffrey of Monmouth, who in his Historia regum Britanniae claimed Arthur killed 60 senators in battle while conquering the Roman Empire.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

More concerned they might spend 8hrs listening to Radiohead live with open back headphones!
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    The foreign correspondents on Dateline London , were discussing Brexit .Some were asking if we are leaving or just changing the badge.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,942

ydoethur said:

More concerned they might spend 8hrs listening to Radiohead live with open back headphones!
    I didn't know you were sharing a flight with Robert Smithson :)

Although given you are taking about flying Norwegian, maybe that should be Robert Smithsonson.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Fly on an American plane. That's covered by the Eighth Amendment.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    edited March 2018

My family did San Francisco to Stockholm on Norwegian at Christmas. New 787. Fine. Only problem no ad hoc food or drink available, so were trying to eat the seat covers by the end of the flight. Suggest pre-purchasing your meal.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

My family did San Francisco to Stockholm on Norwegian at Christmas. New 787. Fine. Only problem no ad hoc food or drink available, so were trying to eat the seat covers by the end of the flight. Suggest pre-purchasing your meal.
    Thanks. The past few years I have lived via intermittent fasting, whereby I don’t eat each day for 16hrs, so food isn’t a problem. Obviously just have to buy the massively overpriced bottles of water from WH Smith’s preflight.
  • Options
    marke09 said:

Britain Elects
    @britainelects
    39m39 minutes ago

Britain was [X] to vote to leave the EU:

Right: 44% (+2)
    Wrong: 45% (-)

via @YouGov, 26 - 27 Feb
    Chgs. w/ 19 - 20 Feb

Those 2% added for Right are probably down to Blair saying we were Wrong....
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    FF43 said:

Yes, Norwegian are wonderful so long as you are aware of he extra charges if you buy food on the plane or take lots of luggage. New planes, decent leg room, ridiculously low prices for what they offer.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334

I tend to travel light so wasn't bothered (you do get some free luggage), and really at those prices I don't mind spending a few pounds on a meal or taking my own food.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,992
    edited March 2018
    New Zealand's National Party has elected its first Maori leader in the form of the Oxford educated former Crown Prosecutor Simon Bridges to succeed the former PM Bill English.
    https://www.conservativehome.com/international/2018/03/zach-castles-meet-the-conservative-who-could-become-new-zealands-first-maori-prime-minister.html

Bridges finds himself leading a party still polling over 40% and having won most votes and seats at the last general election but out of power as PM Jacinda Ardern has formed a Labour coalition minority government with Green and New Zealand First support.

The Tory leader after the next general election could well find themselves in a similar position as Bridges, facing a minority Corbyn government propped up by minor parties.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    So it looks like the traitor brigade in the Tory party are losing their allies now that their treason is being seen for what it really is. Their masters in Brussels must be very upset. What a shame.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    MaxPB said:

So it looks like the traitor brigade in the Tory party are losing their allies now that their treason is being seen for what it really is. Their masters in Brussels must be very upset. What a shame.

Says the guy who loves his country so much he fucked off and left it.
  • Options
    hamiltonacehamiltonace Posts: 642
    edited March 2018

I tend to travel light so wasn't bothered (you do get some free luggage), and really at those prices I don't mind spending a few pounds on a meal or taking my own food.
    My son uses Norwegian about 3-4 times a year. Only issue is poor entertainment and they sometimes do a late switch with Wamos !! If they do this take the refund or rebooking offer.

They allow kids over 12 to fly as adults which is huge bonus, BA allow 14 year olds to fly as adults which is not bad either.

• Options

FF43 said:

Yes, Norwegian are wonderful so long as you are aware of he extra charges if you buy food on the plane or take lots of luggage. New planes, decent leg room, ridiculously low prices for what they offer.
    Many years ago I found myself flying back from Norway after a colleague had been killed on our rig and we had been down-manned for compassionate reasons. They flew us back business class which was usually unheard of.

The lady came round asking if we would like red or white wine with our meal. I asked what the meal was and she said 'meat'. We asked what sort of meat and she couldn't tell us. When the meal turned up we found that she was absolutely right. It was indeed meat. None of us had a clue what sort of meat but it was very nice anyway.

This was probably my best experience with Norwegian cooking. It is not something I would generally recommend.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    JackW said:

I was recently reading a piece on the Duke of Kent who was killed whilst serving with the RAF in 1942. He was the most senior member of the royal family to die on active service since Prince Maurice of Battenberg was killed at Ypres in October 1914 whilst serving with the King's Royal Rifles.

Prince Maurice was Queen Victoria's youngest grandchild being the son of her youngest daughter Princess Beatrice. It is ironic that the Queen's youngest grandchild should die at the hands of the forces of her eldest grandchild - Kaiser Wilhelm II.

Surely that would make the Duke of Kent much more senior? He was 6th in line to the throne in 1942. It might be centuries since someone that senior died on active service?
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

But not to the EU! :D
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,715
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Do you ever accept any praise of/good news for any pro EU party/politician?
  • Options

My son uses Norwegian about 3-4 times a year. Only issue is poor entertainment and they sometimes do a late switch with Wamos !! If they do this take the refund or rebooking offer.

They allow kids over 12 to fly as adults which is huge bonus, BA allow 14 year olds to fly as adults which is not bad either.

I think plane entertainment is going the way of the dodo anyway, everyone has an iPad or tablet, or massive phones to watch/listen to stuff on. As long as they have a socket and some kind of WiFi fewer and fewer people will bother with in flight entertainment systems.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    MaxPB said:

Or possibly, they are all traitors now. Wollaston implies there is no longer a need to rebel.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

FF43 said:

Many years ago I found myself flying back from Norway after a colleague had been killed on our rig and we had been down-manned for compassionate reasons. They flew us back business class which was usually unheard of.

The lady came round asking if we would like red or white wine with our meal. I asked what the meal was and she said 'meat'. We asked what sort of meat and she couldn't tell us. When the meal turned up we found that she was absolutely right. It was indeed meat. None of us had a clue what sort of meat but it was very nice anyway.

This was probably my best experience with Norwegian cooking. It is not something I would generally recommend.
    Sorry to hear about your colleague getting killed.

Do you get down-manned when there is a man down?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Yesterday I suggested that if a few rebels changed their minds over the weekend, it could have been all a clever ploy to make Corbyn put his cards on the table...
  • Options
    FF43 said:

MaxPB said:

Or possibly, they are all traitors now. Wollaston implies there is no longer a need to rebel.
    The tone of some of the Brexiteers questioning Pascal Lamy in the session I posted earlier was interesting. They seemed to recognise they were out of their depth.
  • Options

Did they let you light the primus stove to warm the food you took with you?
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Impeccable taste on their part.

I hope your firm is paying you well I was in Lausanne the other day and paid £4.40 for a coffee at Starbucks.

(Remember sterling?)
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Macron has the same issues that Thatcher faced. France is in deep trouble which is masked by some successful previous large scale investments and a few smart entrepreneurs.

I set up to pay my French property taxes by monthly debit. One month as I was renovating my flat I missed a payment. I thought no issue as (1) debits taken in advance of day tax to be paid (2) there is no discount for paying early. Silly me. I soon got a letter from my bank at the cost of £50 to tell me the tax authorities were threatening to seize my account as I had missed my £100 monthly debit. I only had £80 in my bank account and they allow no overdraft. This despite I having a mortgage of only 35% of my property value with the bank. Two months later and 20 emails after it was resolved. What a way to run a country.

• Options
    edited March 2018

JackW said:

I was recently reading a piece on the Duke of Kent who was killed whilst serving with the RAF in 1942. He was the most senior member of the royal family to die on active service since Prince Maurice of Battenberg was killed at Ypres in October 1914 whilst serving with the King's Royal Rifles.

Prince Maurice was Queen Victoria's youngest grandchild being the son of her youngest daughter Princess Beatrice. It is ironic that the Queen's youngest grandchild should die at the hands of the forces of her eldest grandchild - Kaiser Wilhelm II.

Surely that would make the Duke of Kent much more senior? He was 6th in line to the throne in 1942. It might be centuries since someone that senior died on active service?
    Since the Earl of Lincoln in 1487 (at a guess)?

Or if you include Scotland of course, James IV in 1513.

Edit - Lincoln's brother died in 1525, but by then he was a long way from the throne.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Yesterday I suggested that if a few rebels changed their minds over the weekend, it could have been all a clever ploy to make Corbyn put his cards on the table...
    It’s probably bought May some time, but her two customs arrangement proposals are both inadequate to do what she wants, particularly if she wants a UK wide solution. Ultimately it will bring us back to a customs union.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    HYUFD said:

New Zealand's National Party has elected its first Maori leader in the form of the Oxford educated former Crown Prosecutor Simon Bridges to succeed the former PM Bill English.
    https://www.conservativehome.com/international/2018/03/zach-castles-meet-the-conservative-who-could-become-new-zealands-first-maori-prime-minister.html

Bridges finds himself leading a party still polling over 40% and having won most votes and seats at the last general election but out of power as PM Jacinda Ardern has formed a Labour coalition minority government with Green and New Zealand First support.

The Tory leader after the next general election could well find themselves in a similar position as Bridges, facing a minority Corbyn government propped up by minor parties.

But in that scenario the country not the PM would end up getting stuffed.

I'll get my thick fleece.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

But in that scenario the country not the PM would end up getting stuffed.

I'll get my thick fleece.
    At least until the next general election anyway, thankfully Corbyn is well past the age of fatherhood unless he follows Mick Jagger
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

I hope your firm is paying you well I was in Lausanne the other day and paid £4.40 for a coffee at Starbucks.

(Remember sterling?)
    Well enough, Swiss wages beget Swiss prices. It really irritates me when the foreigners (like me) who work in Switzerland complain about the prices, I earn more than triple what I did in London, the prices are only 30-40% higher though.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    2018 Senate watch:

CNN & NYT downgrade Ted Cruz's chance to merely "likely Republican hold" - but no breakthroughs elsewhere.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

(Remember sterling?)
    Sounds cheap. I think 6.70 CHF or £5 is more normal :-) Starbucks is one of the few international chains that has actually worked in Switzerland.

My partner told me Switzerland is a village. I did not understand what she meant for the first 5 years but now I do. I am finally accepted by the Swiss but not sure if this is a great benefit. If you want a case study on how difficult it is to get rid of hard borders then Switzerland is great place to start. They are part of Schengen but still it is a mess moving goods in and out of the country and costs a fortune.
  • Options
    The increasing frequency with which the government is saying there won't be a second referendum leads one to believe there will.
    https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/969898507141373954
  • Options

The increasing frequency with which the government is saying there won't be a second referendum leads one to believe there will.
    twitter.com/Channel4News/status/969898507141373954

Nothing to do with the media keep asking the question....
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

(Remember sterling?)
    Well enough, Swiss wages beget Swiss prices. It really irritates me when the foreigners (like me) who work in Switzerland complain about the prices, I earn more than triple what I did in London, the prices are only 30-40% higher though.

Are house prices higher than London then?
  • Options

Unless Corbyn is replaced by, say, Chuka Umunna before the next general election and Umunna wins a majority with a manifesto commitment for a second EU referendum or the LDs hold the balance of power at Westminster there will not be a second EU referendum regardless of whether May, Corbyn or another Tory is PM
  • Options

If they are asked about it they have to answer. And they say no.

Live with it.
  • Options

Ain't gonna happen. No time.
  • Options

The increasing frequency with which you are saying the world is flat leads one to believe it really is an oblate spheroid.....
  • Options
    Wow. A full house of instant reactions from worried Brexiteers.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

(Remember sterling?)

Are house prices higher than London then?
    Not as much as you'd think.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Brexiteer, me? I think more if you post bollocks on pb you quickly get shot down.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

JackW said:

Quite correct David. Poorly worded.

The most senior royal from the British Isles to perish before the Duke of Kent was James IV of Scotland at the Battle of Flodden in 1513.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Glenn, Gove was asked specifically about it. If he'd been asked about the resurrection of Hitler and a new Reich, that wouldn't be him raising the prospect.

I do think a second referendum is a credible possibility, though.

Good afternoon, everyone.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited March 2018
    I wonder what percentage of people have travelled on a plane in anything other than economy class. 1%? 2%? 0.5%?

25% have never flown at all according to this article:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/a-quarter-of-britons-have-never-been-on-a-plane-visited-a-beach-or-european-capital/

"Twenty-two percent of Britons have never travelled on a plane and one in four have never visited a capital city in Europe, while nearly a third (29 per cent) have never travelled outside of Europe, and a fifth have never been to a beach, according to new research."
  • Options
    It does seem that TM has calmed her party and compromised Corbyn's declaration to stay in a custom's union. He has nowhere to go now and maybe Starmer more than Corbyn has been to clever by half.

And the only person from the EU the media have been able to find to comment adversely is Verhofstadt (the EU's own Williamglenn) who refers to more cherries on the cake, completely ignoring that there will be no cherries, ie 50 billion of them, if a trade deal does not happen.

Also the ultra remainers do not comment on the fact the UK-EU-ROI have set up a joint committee to resolve the Irish border problems and solutions have been put forward.
  • Options

We only had the first EU referendum because the Tories had it in their manifesto in 2015 and won a majority on it. Unless Labour wins a majority at the next general election with a manifesto commitment for a second EU referendum or the LDs hold the balance of power with a manifesto commitment for another referendum it won't happen
  • Options

Have you ever thought you are boring
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I wonder what percentage of people have travelled on a plane in anything other than economy class. 1%? 2%? 0.5%?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/a-quarter-of-britons-have-never-been-on-a-plane-visited-a-beach-or-european-capital/

"Twenty-two percent of Britons have never travelled on a plane and one in four have never visited a capital city in Europe, while nearly a third (29 per cent) have never travelled outside of Europe, and a fifth have never been to a beach, according to new research."

Who says pb isn’t representative of the nation....
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    The February Ipsos/MORI poll didn't materialise.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Who says pb isn’t representative of the nation....
    I have flown a great deal over the last twelve years mainly in long haul to New Zealand, Australia, Tokyo, Beijing, Buenos Aires, and Vancouver and have been in premiun class a few times, mainly with BA and while the cabin and seating is better, the food and service is very average
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I would imagine it is the 1% who most frequently fly in exclusive plane classes designed for the top 1% of earners.

'Kayak’s survey also revealed that France was the country most visited by Britons, with 68 per cent having been there in their lifetime, followed by Spain (63 per cent), Italy (44 per cent), the US (42 per cent) and Germany (41 per cent)'
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,985
    TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

On the subject of American politics, here is the video from the presumptive Democratic nominee for the West Virginia 3rd Congressional district.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqsa0c8lHv0

This is a district where Trump got 80% of the vote, but where Ojeda is leading in the polling.

Slightly off topic

There was a great book, can’t remember its name, wherein a journalist lived as a Walmart worker and showed how the poor managed, or rather didn't manage, and just slipped into further poverty, and couldn't just "live within their means".

A bit like Adam Holloway's homeless programme over here some years ago.

Very good.
    Do you mean Nickel and Dimed?

(And yes, it's an excellent - albeit depressing book.)
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

I would imagine it is the 1% who most frequently fly in exclusive plane classes designed for the top 1% of earners.

'Kayak’s survey also revealed that France was the country most visited by Britons, with 68 per cent having been there in their lifetime, followed by Spain (63 per cent), Italy (44 per cent), the US (42 per cent) and Germany (41 per cent)'
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Why so many Brit’s want to visit a shithole country like France is beyond me*!

* joking obvs.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

The top 0.0001% own their own planes
    The top 0.001% charter for short haul, and fly commercial long haul
    The top 0.01% charter planes for short haul occasionally
    The top 1% fly business class from time-to-time

• Options
    AndyJS said:

So 71% have travelled outside of Europe. That's a lot higher than I would have expected.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

* joking obvs.
    Well firstly it is the nearest, bar Ireland and secondly it has Paris, skiing and warm sunny beaches in the south and great food and wine
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

PB figures

0.1%
    1%
    10%
    100%
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

* joking obvs.
    Well firstly it is the nearest, bar Ireland and secondly it has Paris, skiing and warm sunny beaches in the south and great food and wine
    I agree with all of that, except Paris...that is a shithole.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

And the top 0.00001% founded their own airline!
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

I think there is one area where you do need to give Macron credit: he's the only French politician in 35 years* whose managed to push through anything in the way of labour market reform.

The question is whether he will continue with the reforms, or whether he'll rest on his laurels. With the French economy improving, the temptation to do nothing and avoid conflict will be great. But if he does continue to liberalise the French labour market, then he will likely go down as the man who successfully faced down the French unions, and modernised the French economy.

* The last, believe it or not, was Mitterand in the early 80s
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    rcs1000 said:

+1
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

On the subject of American politics, here is the video from the presumptive Democratic nominee for the West Virginia 3rd Congressional district.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqsa0c8lHv0

This is a district where Trump got 80% of the vote, but where Ojeda is leading in the polling.

Slightly off topic

There was a great book, can’t remember its name, wherein a journalist lived as a Walmart worker and showed how the poor managed, or rather didn't manage, and just slipped into further poverty, and couldn't just "live within their means".

A bit like Adam Holloway's homeless programme over here some years ago.

Very good.

Yes that was it. V powerful.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

* joking obvs.
    Great wine, sure. Not sure about the great food any more. Had some pretty mediocre meals there in a way you just don't get in Italy...
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,983
    AndyJS said:

Usually use EVA air flying to Bangkok. Premium Economy. Comfortable and, usually, good food.
    Flown Icelandair economy twice and don’t want to again.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    The most interesting part of that Kayak survey is that less than half the population went abroad in the previous year. It’s so easy to live in bubbles, especially those like PB that are so pleasant :smile:
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

* joking obvs.
    You ski on warm sunny beaches?
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

The most interesting part of that Kayak survey is that less than half the population went abroad in the previous year. It’s so easy to live in bubbles, especially those like PB that are so pleasant :smile:

That is surprising, given you can still get a £30 return flights to Europe.
This discussion has been closed.