Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Interesting news for those of us betting on the year of Trump’

Comments

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,332
    rcs1000 said:

Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects

Italy, General Election:

Turnout 19:00 CET

2018: 58.4%
    2013: 46.6%
    2008: 49.1%

#ElezioniPolitiche2018 #elezioni #Elezioni4Marzo2018 #ItalyElection2018

They has Monday voting as well in '08 and '13 so the numbers are directly comparable
    Do they this time, and if so how come we start geting results a midnight?
  • Options

When we do expect to get a good idea how the criminal, the comedian, etc have got on in the italian election?

Midnightish, Andrea said. But nobody's going to have an overall majority so we won't know the government yet.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Is it possible to watch the Italian election night programme online?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    AndyJS said:

RAI is online in Italian, coverage in 35 mins
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,191
    edited March 2018

Could Cameron come back as Conservative leader after May?

Especially in the absence of other suitable candidates.
    No.
    Because ?
    Because

1) He doesn't want to come back, he thinks once a PM has lost a general election/nation changing referendum then it's sine die for their political career.

2) A significant chunk of the Parliamentary Party wouldn't let him back, the ones that miss the halcyon days of the leadership of IDS, and twatbadgers like Andrew Bridgen who on June 24th 2016 would have triggered a confidence vote in David Cameron no matter the referendum result, even if Remain had won 90% to 10%.
    Didn't either Gladstone or Disraeli or both make a come back as PM after defeat?
    I don't think they were humiliated to the same extent though.
    On the contrary, Disraeli was defeated on a franchise he himself had created to make it easier for the Conservatives to win an election, and Gladstone was not merely heavily defeated twice - 1874 and 1886 - on the first occasion he resigned in a huff and on the second occasion he split his party in two (including a former leader deciding to leave).

Churchill suffered the second-worst defeat of any Conservative leader since 1832 in 1945 (the worst of course being 1906 - not counting later worse defeats 1997-2005). Wilson had been planning his weekend at Chequers when he learned Heath had won.

I think the crucial difference however is that now we have a concept of shelf life. In the 1930s there was nothing unusual (for example) about headmasters staying in post for forty years. You had a job, you did it. Now there is the idea that you seek 'fresh challenges' and anyone who stays too long in the same job is lacking in ambition/breadth/etc. So a party leader was a party leader until he quit (cf Derby - five general election defeats, 22 years in post).
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599

This article sums up my concerns with where we are on Brexit, better than I can manage.

https://t.co/LJF0ltXBly

The key point is that we are headed toward an illusory sovereignty. No say in the rules, in exchange for the theoretical - but not practical or realistic - ability to diverge.

We are headed for a regulatory vassalage.

Yes, but that's not so bad. After all, the EU regulations are quite sensible and few if any Leavers can name any that they disagree with.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056
    Foxy said:

This article sums up my concerns with where we are on Brexit, better than I can manage.

https://t.co/LJF0ltXBly

The key point is that we are headed toward an illusory sovereignty. No say in the rules, in exchange for the theoretical - but not practical or realistic - ability to diverge.

We are headed for a regulatory vassalage.

Yes, but that's not so bad. After all, the EU regulations are quite sensible and few if any Leavers can name any that they disagree with.
    They need to get the EU to let them pretend to be taking back control first, and that doesn't seem likely.
    https://twitter.com/piris_jc/status/970338616923840513
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

"Concessions that were perfectly reasonable to make to Germany in 1945 don't make sense anymore."
    https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/970317392743096320

The question Wilbur Ross (and Donald Trump) need to answer is this:

Why does Switzerland, with the strongest currency in the world, with some of the highest costs in the world, and with FTAs with both the EU and China, run a large trade surplus (including in manufactured goods), while the US runs a large deficit?
    Because they make products that other countries want to buy, particularly pharmaceuticals?

(and of course their saving ratio)

Automation means that labour cost is less relevant to production cost than it once was, just look at automotive manufacturing.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Exit poll in 25 minutes (consume wih caution). There's a summary of the (populist) policies of the three main alliances here:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2018/mar/04/italy-goes-to-the-polls-general-election-live

Interesting that 5 stars wants to warm relations wih Russia. I wonder if the sockpuppets have been active.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,604
    GIN1138 said:

So, how's things looking in Italy?

I've just been having a look at the 2018 Italian General Election page on Wiki;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_general_election,_2018

Looks like pretty much anything could happen! :D
    I like the slogan of the 'Free and Equal Party':

Per i molti, non per i pochi - "For the many, not the few"

Very catchy. I'm surprised no UK party has used it.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    BTW, the letter T on my keyboard is only intermittently working - I generally have to press the key hard to make it register. What does that signify - loose wire, accumulated dust...?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Could Cameron come back as Conservative leader after May?

Especially in the absence of other suitable candidates.
    No.
    Because ?
    Because

1) He doesn't want to come back, he thinks once a PM has lost a general election/nation changing referendum then it's sine die for their political career.

2) A significant chunk of the Parliamentary Party wouldn't let him back, the ones that miss the halcyon days of the leadership of IDS, and twatbadgers like Andrew Bridgen who on June 24th 2016 would have triggered a confidence vote in David Cameron no matter the referendum result, even if Remain had won 90% to 10%.
    Didn't either Gladstone or Disraeli or both make a come back as PM after defeat?
    On the contrary, Disraeli was defeated on a franchise he himself had created to make it easier for the Conservatives to win an election, and Gladstone was not merely heavily defeated twice - 1874 and 1886 - on the first occasion he resigned in a huff and on the second occasion he split his party in two (including a former leader deciding to leave).

Churchill suffered the second-worst defeat of any Conservative leader since 1832 in 1945 (the worst of course being 1906 - not counting later worse defeats 1997-2005). Wilson had been planning his weekend at Chequers when he learned Heath had won.

I think the crucial difference however is that now we have a concept of shelf life. In the 1930s there was nothing unusual (for example) about headmasters staying in post for forty years. You had a job, you did it. Now there is the idea that you seek 'fresh challenges' and anyone who stays too long in the same job is lacking in ambition/breadth/etc. So a party leader was a party leader until he quit (cf Derby - five general election defeats, 22 years in post).
    I suppose Clem Attlee was the longest serving Party leader of 20th Century, at a little over 20 years, fighting as party leader in 4 General Elections, gaining seats in 2 and shedding them in 2.

I do think that the modern pracice of resigning within days of losing an election is to be deplored. It means that the replacement is chosen at haste, and often a bit more reflection on what went wrong before picking the next would be a wiser course of action.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2018

BTW, the letter T on my keyboard is only intermittently working - I generally have to press the key hard to make it register. What does that signify - loose wire, accumulated dust...?

Could be all sorts of things and dependent on the actual type of keybaord i.e. standard vs mechanical.

Can you remove the keycaps on your keyboard? If not, do you have compressed air, if you do try blowing it into the gaps near the key and see if dust / hair moves.
  • Options
    It would take a total idiot in government to get into bother over pasties.
  • Options

All proper T is theft? :)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056
    edited March 2018

To be filed under Brexit bonus?

This has Cameron comeback media strategy written all over it. He's going to ride to the rescue to stop Brexit and save his beloved Cornish pasties.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

RAI is online in Italian, coverage in 35 mins
    Thanks.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Or to try some cringe PR stunt by a politician to go to a Greggs for the first time in their life for their lunch...
  • Options

Could be all sorts of things and dependent on the actual type of keybaord i.e. standard vs mechanical.

Can you remove the keycaps on your keyboard? If not, do you have compressed air, if you do try blowing it into the gaps near the key and see if dust / hair moves.
    Thanks! (and lol Foxy) Don't think they're removable (just a laptop keboard) bu will try a freh blast...
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,814

:D
  • Options

Thanks! (and lol Foxy) Don't think they're removable (just a laptop keboard) bu will try a freh blast...
    You could always try adding some coffee to lubricate the keys. Doesn't seem to have done my laptop any permanent harm.
  • Options
    Is there any language that does not borrow "exit poll" from the English??
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Election night shows, (thanks to Andrea for the links on the VoteUK forum):

https://www.raiplay.it/dirette/rai1
    http://www.la7.it/dirette-tv
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

It's a _ory plot.

• Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

English.
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    Dominic Raab coming across extremely well in a tough interview on Sky News. Seems on top of his brief, non waffly and yet never got pinned down.
  • Options

English.
    Oh I walked into that!!
  • Options
    David Dimbleby is waving a calculator.

I assume it's a metaphor for the electoral calculus...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,920
    £5 on Tajani, he's the proxy for a strong Forza showing I think. God only knows though.
  • Options

To be filed under Brexit bonus?

This has Cameron comeback media strategy written all over it. He's going to ride to the rescue to stop Brexit and save his beloved Cornish pasties.
    Nah, the Cornish voted Leave, this is what they voted for.

We need to respect the vote.

#LifeComesAtYouFast
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    Elliot said:

Dominic Raab coming across extremely well in a tough interview on Sky News. Seems on top of his brief, non waffly and yet never got pinned down.

Raab would be a very good choice for next Tory leader. Needs May to hang around until 2020, though.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    edited March 2018
    Italy exit poll

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/970419023350521856

5*projected to be comfortably largest party, could be touch and go whether Berlusconi's coalition or 5* will have more seats but the governing Democratic Party's centre left coalition has clearly lost
  • Options
    5 star - 48%
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,191
    edited March 2018
    Foxy said:

I suppose Clem Attlee was the longest serving Party leader of 20th Century, at a little over 20 years, fighting as party leader in 4 General Elections, gaining seats in 2 and shedding them in 2.

I do think that the modern pracice of resigning within days of losing an election is to be deplored. It means that the replacement is chosen at haste, and often a bit more reflection on what went wrong before picking the next would be a wiser course of action.

I would say you're right about Attlee, then I think it would be Asquith (Salisbury although hardly any of that was in the twentieth century) Thatcher, Churchill.

Not totally sure I agree about the second. Surely the issue is not a failed leader resigning but the over-hasty election of a replacement - which hasn't really been an issue since Hague in 1997 due to the wider membership now having a vote in all parties (not that either point has stopped some turkeys being elected).
  • Options

5 star - 48%

Sky cock up - 29%
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Italy exit poll

5*projected to be comfortably largest party

The one on RAI very slightly different but same arithmatic
  • Options

5 star - 48%

Clearly nonsense, whoever typed that in.
  • Options

5 star - 48%

OGH style typo from Sky...
  • Options
    RAI says

M5S-EFDD: 29-32%
    PD-S&D: 20.5-22.5%
    FI-EPP: 13-16%
    Lega-ENF: 13-16%
    LeU-S&D:3-5%
    FdI-*: 4-6%
    +E-*: 2.5-4.5%

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942

5 star - 48%

Has Sterling just moved?
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited March 2018
    Italy exit polls

(mind you, they have often been wrong...)

RAI

FI, Lega, FdI, etc 33-37% (Lega and Forza Italia tied)

5 Stars 29-32%

PD and friends 25-28%

Free and Equals 3-5%
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    HYUFD said:

Italy exit poll

5*projected to be comfortably largest party, could be touch and go whether Berlusconi's coalition or 5* will have more seats but the governing Democratic Party's centre left coalition has clearly lost

Pretty much in line with the polls, but 5 stars doing a bit better than predicted, the cenre-right marginally less well. All MOE though.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    One thing you can say for Italian politics, they certainly aren't all the same and you have some serious choice...even if that choice includes openly neo fascists and communists...
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

5 star - 48%

Has Sterling just moved?
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    I am afraid when I think of 5 star I think of the pop group from Romford.

Still sounds like FI and Lega Nord will be the largest grouping so presumably will pick the PM. How can the group which came third - the centre left - hold the premiership?

Do 5 star even want to be in government?
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    brendan16 said:

Still sounds like FI and Lega Nord will be the largest grouping so presumably will pick the PM. How can the group which came third - the centre left - hold the premiership?

According to wikipedia, apparently 5* still perform as a 4-piece....its the sort of gigs we will find TSE going to.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,735

One thing you can say for Italian politics, they certainly aren't all the same and you have some serious choice...even if that choice includes openly neo fascists and communists...

Indeed. Maybe @TheScreamingEagles may gift us with an article about alternate voting systems... :)
  • Options
    Centro Desta block ahead on RAI's summed up exit poll
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    brendan16 said:

They do - rain or shine
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    OT Winston Churchill -- earlier I quoted from Nicholas Shakespeare's book on the Norway campaign and its aftermath -- Six Minutes in May: How Churchill Unexpectedly Became Prime Minister.

I've just noticed it was the subject of this evening's BBC Book Talk, on iplayer at:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09wj4xt/booktalk-nicholas-shakespeare
  • Options
    edited March 2018
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Centro Desta block ahead on RAI's summed up exit poll

Not by much

difficult to call PM
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,269

5 star - 48%

"System addict
    I never can get enough"

:)
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,956
    Blimey! Just been looking at the promises made by LN FI and 5 Star.
    Cut retirement age, double pensions and a miimum income of 1000 Euro a month amongst others.
    Cue outrage from those who thought the Labour Manifesto was extreme.
  • Options

brendan16 said:

According to wikipedia, apparently 5* still perform as a 4-piece....its the sort of gigs we will find TSE going to.
    Given Romford voted 75 per cent leave it would be a good opportunity for some remainers on here to enjoy a whole new experience without having to venture outside the M25!
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Must surely be a chance on these numbers Di Maio becomes PM if he can do a deal with Berlusconi, Silvio might be tempted if LN comes ahead of FI and the alternative is PM Salvini
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,390
    edited March 2018

brendan16 said:

Gigs I'm going to this year are The Rolling Stones, Kylie, Justin Timberlake, Garbage, and A-Ha.

I have excellent taste in music.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Cut retirement age, double pensions and a miimum income of 1000 Euro a month amongst others.

Considering the vast choice of parties, Italy does seem rather short of credible governments.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    dixiedean said:

And what did the socialists promise - even more? The centre left had also proposed changes to the way Italian citizenship was granted - moving to the US jus soli model - birth not parentage.
  • Options

brendan16 said:

Gigs I'm going to this year are The Rolling Stones, Kylie, Justin Timberlake, Garbage, and A-Ha.

Are you sure you are into women? Combined with your love of Steps and the Vengaboys, your gig list sounds like a G.A.Y. greatest hits night.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,735

OT Winston Churchill -- earlier I quoted from Nicholas Shakespeare's book on the Norway campaign and its aftermath -- Six Minutes in May: How Churchill Unexpectedly Became Prime Minister.

I've just noticed it was the subject of this evening's BBC Book Talk, on iplayer at:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09wj4xt/booktalk-nicholas-shakespeare

I've clocked off and am watching Supermodels of Shield on E4, but will check it out afterwards, thank you.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,660
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Because

I agree. May and Corbyn both bucked that trend last year though.

Also to be deplored is the going off in a huff to half a dozen other lucrative jobs just because you don't win the leadership race (GO).
  • Options

brendan16 said:

Garbage?
  • Options

brendan16 said:

Are you sure you are into women? Combined with your love of Steps and the Vengaboys, your gig list sounds like a G.A.Y. greatest hits night.
  • Options

brendan16 said:

I didn't choose to go see the Vengaboys, they were the support act for Steps.

Shirley Manson of Garbage is the reason I have a weakness for redheads.
  • Options
    In voteshare terms looks like the biggest gainers in Italy are the anti immigration Lega Nord
    https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/970424201365606400
  • Options
    RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359

brendan16 said:

I didn't choose to go see the Vengaboys, they were the support act for Steps.

Shirley Manson of Garbage is the reason I have a weakness for redheads.
    I saw the Vengaboys at a university may ball (we weren't a classy place!). They got the giggles in the middle of one of the songs and had to restart the verse.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

There is clearly a significant proportion of the population that isn't willing to accept reality. Not sure how long that will remain feasible as move more and more to AI / high tech / globalized world, I always fear Italy becoming another Greece.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

In voteshare terms looks like the biggest gainers in Italy are the anti immigration Lega Nord
    https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/970424201365606400

Just called Lega now and not just in the North. Inf act their hardhitting anti-immigration stance goes down well down South...
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

brendan16 said:

Garbage?
    Watch, listen, and enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpBFOJ3R0M4

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypr18UmxOas
  • Options
    One of the exit polls is saying the Democratic Party could go as low as 17.5%.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

brendan16 said:

But did he see Erasure in February? That's the acid test.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    brendan16 said:

dixiedean said:

And what did the socialists promise - even more? The centre left had also proposed changes to the way Italian citizenship was granted - moving to the US jus soli model - birth not parentage.
    No. They promised less economically.
    Are you suggesting fiscal irresponsibility is OK if it is done by the Right?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,660
    Excellent time to be jumping out of the EU single market and making our own way in the world as it enters a period of trade wars. :disappointed:
  • Options

dixiedean said:

There is clearly a significant proportion of the population that isn't willing to accept reality. Not sure how long that will remain feasible as move more and more to AI / high tech / globalized world, I always fear Italy becoming another Greece.
    One advantage of having so many parties is that no one gets to implement their manifesto, so any absurdity is fine!
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

brendan16 said:

I'm not keen on Erasure, saw them live years ago and they murdered the ABBA song they were trying to cover.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

dixiedean said:

If we move more and more to AI/high tech/globalized world such populist policies will become the norm in most developed countries as voters have nothing to lose, if for most people beyond those with the highest tech skills and most creativity the jobs on offer are insecure and temporary and relatively low paid what do they have to lose from seeking promises of a guaranteed minimum universal income whether in employment or not and an early and well funded retirement?
  • Options
    North of the M25 is going to get a tad busier...

Five new garden towns could be built between Oxford and Cambridge bringing thousands of new homes

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5460799/Five-new-garden-towns-built-Oxford-Cambridge.html
  • Options
    edited March 2018
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Agree entirely.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

brendan16 said:

Garbage?

and

;)
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

If we move more and more to AI/high tech/globalized world such populist policies will become the norm in most developed countries as voters have nothing to lose, if for most people beyond those with the highest tech skills and most creativity the jobs on offer are insecure and temporary what do they have to lose from seeking a guaranteed minimum universal income whether in employment or not?
    But unlike the UK, Italy remains highly unreformed, so can least afford to entertain the idea of supporting something like UBI. France under Macron has recognized they have to get their shit together.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

GIN1138 said:

brendan16 said:

Garbage?

and

I'd be happy to go but £43 a ticket...
  • Options
    This is all getting a bit nasty...

The BBC is lying about its tax affairs, according to 170 presenters who have produced emails they say prove the corporation pressured them to set up personal service companies or risk losing their jobs.

The group, which includes some of Britain's best-known broadcasters in news, sport and entertainment and describes itself as "the faces and voices of the BBC", said the corporation is attempting to shift "the moral and financial burden" of its mismanagement onto presenters.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/03/04/bbc-lying-tax-affairs-have-emails-prove-170-presenters-say/
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Ishmael_Z said:

brendan16 said:

I'm not keen on Erasure, saw them live years ago and they murdered the ABBA song they were trying to cover.
    Take a Chance on Me? I bloody love that; esp. the demented rap section.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

This is all getting a bit nasty...

The BBC is lying about its tax affairs, according to 170 presenters who have produced emails they say prove the corporation pressured them to set up personal service companies or risk losing their jobs.

The group, which includes some of Britain's best-known broadcasters in news, sport and entertainment and describes itself as "the faces and voices of the BBC", said the corporation is attempting to shift "the moral and financial burden" of its mismanagement onto presenters.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/03/04/bbc-lying-tax-affairs-have-emails-prove-170-presenters-say/

No doubt Labour will have a lot to say about this....
  • Options
  • Options

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

If we move more and more to AI/high tech/globalized world such populist policies will become the norm in most developed countries as voters have nothing to lose, if for most people beyond those with the highest tech skills and most creativity the jobs on offer are insecure and temporary what do they have to lose from seeking a guaranteed minimum universal income whether in employment or not?
    But unlike the UK, Italy remains highly unreformed, so can least afford to entertain the idea of supporting something like UBI. France under Macron has recognized they have to get their shit together.
    UBI may have to come though, for reasons you alluded to earlier. It is also not necessarily a Left issue. Milton Friedman was a proponent.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    AndyJS said:

One of the exit polls is saying the Democratic Party could go as low as 17.5%.

Tricky to see PM Gentiloni on that..

Definitely an election for small stakes though. Clear as mud.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

brendan16 said:

Take a Chance on Me? I bloody love that; esp. the demented rap section.
    Dancing Queen.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,779
    Where are Oscar’s Roger Tips?
This discussion has been closed.