Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If there is a second referendum Remain should demand that all

12346»

Comments

• FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

A bombshell study has found that few voters believe the Conservative Party’s key election claim that its councils cost less for quality local services.

Only three in 10 voters across London see the Conservatives as the party of low council tax and a meagre 18 per cent in Tory-run boroughs think it delivers on its boast of lower bills and better services.

The report, by ex-Conservative treasurer Lord Ashcroft, comes before the May 3 elections in London, where the Conservatives are fighting to avoid the loss of flagships such as Wandsworth, Barnet and Westminster.

It found that many Londoners plan to use their votes to punish Theresa May and the national government for Brexit and spending cuts.

Few appeared nervous of Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn’s Left-wing supporters taking over councils. In Tory-run boroughs only a third of voters associated the party with either better services or lower council tax.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/local-elections-2018-new-poll-shock-for-tories-in-london-most-voters-reject-partys-message-on-low-a3781636.html

Council tax in Coventry went up 4.9% with the Labour administered council this year. So I asked my Dad what it would have gone up if the Tories were in charge.
    The alternative budget had a 4.9% increase too ;)
    That's because councils are limited to 5%. Maybe Theresa May should remove that ceiling, which may be seen by voters as making it safe to vote Labour in local elections.
    Are you mad Richard ?!

Do you really want to pay more council tax :o ?
    If he doesn't pay more council tax he will pay more in other taxes - or suffer ever declining services.
    People that pay the most tax don't really use the services.
    Ther'e some truth in that, though some of the most complianed about services: bin collections, roads, policing etc. affect high earners as much as low.
    The reason bin collections are such a hot topic is because, if you live in a reasonable area and don’t have children, it’s literally the only positive thing you ever see in exchange for your council tax. They’re some very expensive bin collections!
    The Bins are a bit like the weather. Everybody talks about them in casual conversation. In comparison to a Sure Start Centre or the local Homeless Shelter.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,143

Cyclefree said:

Completely off topic: I assume that Hollywood stars have money and stylist and their pick of gowns. And yet they dress SO badly - utter eyesores most of them. No elegance or style. They may as well have walked naked with their body covered in glue into a cupboard of clothes. The results could hardly have been worse.

Claws being worn on the outside this season I see....
    If you go out in public and make a big show of all this red carpet malarkey and not being treated as tarts, the very least you can do is not look as if you're dressed as a tart ...... and one with very bad taste.......

Off to get my saucer of milk now.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,930

DavidL said:

Elliot said:

Trump's a traitor isn't he?

The modern day Manchurian Candidate.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/970617452890677248

That's why I find it astonishing you think he will get two terms. I think he is the final nail in the coffin of the Republican Party.
    The GOP will double down with Trump.

The Demographics/population centres/electoral college aren't helping the Dems.

It is entirely possible in 2020 Trump loses the popular vote by 5 million votes and win an even bigger majority in the electoral college.

It is possible by 2028 the Dems could win the popular vote by 10 million and still lose the electoral college.
    I thought that the number of electoral college votes were amended to reflect the population of each State fairly regularly. I recall Florida getting an extra one, I think. If the coastal population continues to increase disproportionately it will become increasingly difficult for the middle to elect republicans.
    It is, but

1) The Dems are piling up voters in the wrong places. Winning California by 30% is the same as winning it by half a per cent.

2) The GOP are winning the smaller states, and with the two top electoral college vote gives them a disproportionate boost. For every California 2 up boost, there's places like Wyoming, The Dakotas, Alaska to help the GOP which also get the 2 up boost.
    Though in 2012 Obama won 51% of the popular vote but 61% of the EC vote
  • rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

Elliot said:

That's why I find it astonishing you think he will get two terms. I think he is the final nail in the coffin of the Republican Party.

It is entirely possible in 2020 Trump loses the popular vote by 5 million votes and win an even bigger majority in the electoral college.

It is possible by 2028 the Dems could win the popular vote by 10 million and still lose the electoral college.
    I thought that the number of electoral college votes were amended to reflect the population of each State fairly regularly. I recall Florida getting an extra one, I think. If the coastal population continues to increase disproportionately it will become increasingly difficult for the middle to elect republicans.
    It is, but

1) The Dems are piling up voters in the wrong places. Winning California by 30% is the same as winning it by half a per cent.

2) The GOP are winning the smaller states, and with the two top electoral college vote gives them a disproportionate boost. For every California 2 up boost, there's places like Wyoming, The Dakotas, Alaska to help the GOP which also get the 2 up boost.
    At some point the Dems are going to crack Texas.
    Then how can the Republicans win the electoral college?
    By electing a Texican as the GOP Presidential candidate.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,888
    edited March 2018

with the two top electoral college vote gives them a disproportionate boost. For every California 2 up boost, there's places like Wyoming, The Dakotas, Alaska to help the GOP which also get the 2 up boost.

That makes less difference than you might think.

2 or 3 ECVs total

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dEwTzRca1tHFuClBeqW9yEJdPuButr0Ra6_F0CNMg_s/edit?usp=sharing
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Bin collections are a subject I have to keep quiet about. The rubbish on my street is collected five times a week.

rkrkrk said:

DavidL said:

Elliot said:

It is, but

At some point the Dems are going to crack Texas.
    Then how can the Republicans win the electoral college?
    By electing a Texican as the GOP Presidential candidate.
    Half Hispanic George P Bush?
  • stevef said:

brendan16 said:

stevef said:

This article has got to be a piss take surely?

Not to accept a democratic referendum result is one thing, but to suggest that if we have a second referendum in which older people who are likely to vote in a certain way should have obstacles placed in their way at the polling booth in order to get the result you want takes the breath away.

Those older people being the same ones who in 1975 voted for us to stay in the EU? But apparently no one ever changes their views as they get older - that's why we have permanent majority Labour Green coalition governments isn't it?!
    Whats that got to do with it? Are remoaners on this site seriously suggesting gerrymandering the result of a second referendum by making it more difficult for older people to vote?
    Seriously?
    Have you read the final paragraph?

Cyclefree said:

Mr. Mark, my sympathy.

Miss Cyclefree, indeed, Merkel's migration madness won't have gone down well at all in Italy.

It's not just Merkel. It's the fact that migrants have been turning up in Southern Italy, in Sicily, in Lampedusa for years and the Italians are trying to deal with them and getting v little help from anyone else. Indeed the French have effectively closed the border at Ventimiglia to stop the migrants getting into France. Not much solidarity there.

And, historically, the Italians have bad memories of North Africans......

So it is little surprise that they are feeling fed up with it all.
    Report said that the new Italian government will stop payments to Brussels and of course the migrant crisis is a huge problem. Also as far as I am aware crime and the mafia are endemic in Italy, particularly in the south, so no doubt politicians have a big problem with corruption
    Time to nail this "the south is very corrupt" meme. It is. But the big Mani Pulite corruption investigations which pulled down the old political parties started in the North, in Milan, and were found everywhere. Corruption is endemic in Italian public life and the mafia has its footprints all over the place, even if it originates and has its base in the south.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,905
    stevef said:

brendan16 said:

stevef said:

Not to accept a democratic referendum result is one thing, but to suggest that if we have a second referendum in which older people who are likely to vote in a certain way should have obstacles placed in their way at the polling booth in order to get the result you want takes the breath away.

Those older people being the same ones who in 1975 voted for us to stay in the EU? But apparently no one ever changes their views as they get older - that's why we have permanent majority Labour Green coalition governments isn't it?!
    Whats that got to do with it? Are remoaners on this site seriously suggesting gerrymandering the result of a second referendum by making it more difficult for older people to vote?
    Seriously?
    Vote suppression rather than gerrymandering!

In any case - I think it's a windup comparison between this and Tory efforts to introduce voter ID to reduce supposed voter fraud in general elections (which did not receive quite such a negative reaction when discussed).
  • Pulpstar said:

with the two top electoral college vote gives them a disproportionate boost. For every California 2 up boost, there's places like Wyoming, The Dakotas, Alaska to help the GOP which also get the 2 up boost.

That makes less difference than you might think.

2 or 3 ECVs total

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dEwTzRca1tHFuClBeqW9yEJdPuButr0Ra6_F0CNMg_s/edit?usp=sharing
    Cheers.
  • stevefstevef Posts: 1,044
    rkrkrk said:

stevef said:

brendan16 said:

stevef said:

Seriously?
    Vote suppression rather than gerrymandering!

In any case - I think it's a windup comparison between this and Tory efforts to introduce voter ID to reduce supposed voter fraud in general elections (which did not receive quite such a negative reaction when discussed).
    So its not serious? Glad to hear it.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,098
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Elliot said:

That's not the issue for the Democrats, indeed I did some calculations.

If the electoral college was based precisely on population, Trump would have won 303 - 235.

California should be worth 65 ECVs and New York 34, but Texas would also be worth 45, and Florida 33.

Now Wyoming should only be worth 1 ECV, but so should DC and Hawaii, Rhode Island are both over-represented.

The problem is that the margins in California and the west coast are hugely in favour of the Democrats whereas Texas is much much closer and so the GOP vote is much more efficient.
    Sure but Virginia and Pennsylvania have been swinging Democratic. It was the loss of Wisconsin, Michigan and Minnesota that sank Hillary, states a competent candidate would not have taken for granted.

stevef said:

brendan16 said:

stevef said:

Seriously?
    Yes I have. Your point being?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,191
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

A bombshell study has found that few voters believe the Conservative Party’s key election claim that its councils cost less for quality local services.

Only three in 10 voters across London see the Conservatives as the party of low council tax and a meagre 18 per cent in Tory-run boroughs think it delivers on its boast of lower bills and better services.

The report, by ex-Conservative treasurer Lord Ashcroft, comes before the May 3 elections in London, where the Conservatives are fighting to avoid the loss of flagships such as Wandsworth, Barnet and Westminster.

It found that many Londoners plan to use their votes to punish Theresa May and the national government for Brexit and spending cuts.

Few appeared nervous of Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn’s Left-wing supporters taking over councils. In Tory-run boroughs only a third of voters associated the party with either better services or lower council tax.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/local-elections-2018-new-poll-shock-for-tories-in-london-most-voters-reject-partys-message-on-low-a3781636.html

Council tax in Coventry went up 4.9% with the Labour administered council this year. So I asked my Dad what it would have gone up if the Tories were in charge.
    That's because councils are limited to 5%. Maybe Theresa May should remove that ceiling, which may be seen by voters as making it safe to vote Labour in local elections.
    Are you mad Richard ?!

If he doesn't pay more council tax he will pay more in other taxes - or suffer ever declining services.
    Ther'e some truth in that, though some of the most complianed about services: bin collections, roads, policing etc. affect high earners as much as low.
    The reason bin collections are such a hot topic is because, if you live in a reasonable area and don’t have children, it’s literally the only positive thing you ever see in exchange for your council tax. They’re some very expensive bin collections!
    provided no-one in your family needs social care, your road and pavements don't need any maintenance, you or your neighbours don't need planning permission for anything, you have off street parking, and you only go out in daytime when the streetlights are turned off.... etc.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,087

Bin collections are a subject I have to keep quiet about. The rubbish on my street is collected five times a week.

You generate that much rubbish?

Who knew....
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,833

Elliot said:

At what point do the Dems rise up in (righteous) anger? Especially as on those figues they’ll probably control Congress.
    There is talk of this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Popular_Vote_Interstate_Compact
    There’s been talk of that for decades, the net result is that it would mean the massive Dem votes in CA and NY carry extra weight. Which is why it’s unlikely to happen any time soon.

That's the first good thing I've heard about Islington......
  • stevef said:

stevef said:

brendan16 said:

stevef said:

Seriously?
    My point is that you're so dense light must bend around you.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,537
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you mad Richard ?!

We have no children and have paid taxes all our lives, some of which support an education system we will never use. But that's the way society works. And frankly, I'm ok about my taxes helping everyone else's kids to be educated to a reasonable level, ensuring that they can contribute to a highly developed economy, pay their own taxes in turn and vote sensibly in any referenda that may come along.

Ooops, more work required on that last one. :wink:

stevef said:

stevef said:

brendan16 said:

stevef said:

Seriously?
    My point is that you're so dense light must bend around you.
    So you dont have a point. You are just an abusive twat. I knew that anyway.
    There's a "because of" needing to replace "despite" in that piece.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,563

There's a "because of" needing to replace "despite" in that piece.
    What? They weren't game changers? I'm positive we were assured they were!
    I'm not sure Mr Trudeau will be best pleased.....

https://twitter.com/EmmanuelMacron/status/970645678069338113
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,888
    IanB2 said:

provided no-one in your family needs social care No way on God's green earth would the council provide that out of their own coffers for my family or Nabavi's

Your road and pavements don't need any maintenance Not particularly maintained as is.

You or your neighbours don't need planning permission for anythingThis was provided with much lower council taxes

You have off street parking Park on the driveway

You only go out in daytime when the streetlights are turned off.... etc.Streetlights aren't needed to head out in

The truth is that most council tax (Certainly the marginal recent increases) are spent on helping out people for adult social care that don't have the means themselves to.

One reason immigration is a positive, as immigrants contribute to the tax pool for the poor/elderly natives.

Now of course that IS legally necessary for councils to do as their duty but the majority of council tax payers could get their bins collected privately for less.

IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you mad Richard ?!

provided no-one in your family needs social care, your road and pavements don't need any maintenance, you or your neighbours don't need planning permission for anything, you have off street parking, and you only go out in daytime when the streetlights are turned off.... etc.
    Indeed so, but most people see the council digging the road up again, the police prioritising more speed cameras over bobbies on the beat etc all as negatives. This of course changes as people age and have children and parents who need looking after, then you think it’s probably better value for money.

Trudeau comes from Quebec and speaks French, he is certainly more popular there than Alberta
  • I'm not sure Mr Trudeau will be best pleased.....

Collaborators gonna collaborate
    HYUFD said:

Trudeau comes from Quebec and speaks French, he is certainly more popular there than Alberta
    But he's the Prime Minister of Canada and French Presidents have previous on meddling in internal matters.....admittedly this is more subtle than De Gaulle.....but still.....
  • David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited March 2018
    Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

provided no-one in your family needs social care No way on God's green earth would the council provide that out of their own coffers for my family or Nabavi's

Your road and pavements don't need any maintenance Not particularly maintained as is.

You or your neighbours don't need planning permission for anythingThis was provided with much lower council taxes

You only go out in daytime when the streetlights are turned off.... etc.Streetlights aren't needed to head out in

The truth is that most council tax (Certainly the marginal recent increases) are spent on helping out people for adult social care that don't have the means themselves to.

One reason immigration is a positive, as immigrants contribute to the tax pool for the poor/elderly natives.

Now of course that IS legally necessary for councils to do as their duty but the majority of council tax payers could get their bins collected privately for less.

The problem is that nursing homes cost £1000 a week (net of the gov'ts nursing care allowance) so even the well off run out of cash after a few years. If average house prices are £250,000 then even selling the house only lasts five years. At which point he council has to step in and pay.

For two married people in a nursing home you need to sell a house for £500,000 to last five years without falling back on the council.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,561
    It ought to say Time is Up anyway. It isn't the Up belonging to Time.
    edited March 2018
    Interesting......

http://www.totalpolitics.com/articles/diary/david-cameron’s-ex-spinner-reveals-his-secret-brexit-chat-theresa-may

unbroken link: https://tinyurl.com/y77acxxj

apostrophes matter....
  • His Lordship has put up the details and commentary of his London poll.

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2018/03/capital-punishment-conservatives-2018-london-elections/
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Naah, Emma's always been big on circulation statistics. They just aren't showing you "Telegraph Down" on the other arm.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274

It ought to say Time is Up anyway. It isn't the Up belonging to Time.
    "The apostrophe is also missing from the movement's hashtag on social media, as they do not yet support punctuation marks."

Another reason why Tw@tter is crap.

HYUFD said:

But he's the Prime Minister of Canada and French Presidents have previous on meddling in internal matters.....admittedly this is more subtle than De Gaulle.....but still.....
    Chirac was certainly willing to welcome an independent Quebec back into the Francophone world had the Yes side won the 1995 referendum.

An independent Quebec and Scotland would be fine by France, one used to be a French colony, the other a key ally of France against England

His Lordship has put up the details and commentary of his London poll.

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2018/03/capital-punishment-conservatives-2018-london-elections/

A handy reminder of how different everyone on this site is from the public at large:
    "Half of all London voters, including more than four in ten of those who voted Labour last year, said they had never heard of Momentum."
  • brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited March 2018
    Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

I think the point is perhaps that not all immigrants are net contributors - many rely on welfare, tax credits and housing benefits to get by or receive them anyway. And not all pensioners and older people are net recipients of state support - many are wealthy and pay large sums in tax.

Isn't the idea to follow the Canadian, Aussie and Kiwi approach whereby you allow in those likely to be net contributors rather than a free for all where a car washer from Bucharest gets preferential and automatic access even though he may not overall be a net contributor whereas a doctor from Brazil who clearly will be doesn't. Surely we want the best from all over the world - not the unemployed and unskilled from eastern and Southern Europe?

Other English speaking nations with flexible labour market exploit their attractiveness - why shouldn't we? You don't need open door immigration policies to have doctors and engineers and entrepreneurs - you just let in the doctors, engineers and entrepreneurs. Young unskilled people also get old one day.
    Hopefully nothing that has gone walkabout from the nearby Ministry of Defence's Defence Science and Technology Laboratory.

Eeek!
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Elliot said:

If the electoral college was based precisely on population, Trump would have won 303 - 235.

California should be worth 65 ECVs and New York 34, but Texas would also be worth 45, and Florida 33.

Now Wyoming should only be worth 1 ECV, but so should DC and Hawaii, Rhode Island are both over-represented.

The problem is that the margins in California and the west coast are hugely in favour of the Democrats whereas Texas is much much closer and so the GOP vote is much more efficient.
    Sure but Virginia and Pennsylvania have been swinging Democratic. It was the loss of Wisconsin, Michigan and Minnesota that sank Hillary, states a competent candidate would not have taken for granted.
    Remember, it was worse than that - the Clinton campaign knew they were behind there but chose not to campaign to send false signals.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,974
    In the ComRes poll only 3% said they would spoil their ballot in protest if there were a second referendum.

In the ComRes poll only 3% said they would spoil their ballot in protest if there were a second referendum.

Wonder if that would include Jeremy Corbyn, again voting for both Leave and Remain?

"Of course I voted for Remain...."
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124

If we do have a trade war can we have a 4,000% tariff on pizzas with pineapple on them?

We import pineapple pizzas??
    Pizzas are from Italy and pineapple aren't grown here are they
    Pizzas can be made in the UK - however, of course spaghetti imports depend on how good the harvest is from the trees in Italy [source BBC approx 1950's April 1st. :)
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

All politicians deceive, mislead, partially inform, spin. At one level those are synonyms for lying.

I didn’t say anything about Leavers in my post. It was a general point.

Toppo claimed last week that nobody had predicted a recession would follow a Leave vote and that house prices had fallen since.

I'm not sure whether he was attempting to deceive, mislead, partially inform, spin or was merely talking bollox about things he knew little about.
    Welcome to the discussion Richard, almost missed you back there.

Plus it must be catching. Charles: "London house prices haven’t fallen as much as I thought"

And I think I acknowledged the UK house price situation soon afterwards.

Don't remember saying that no one predicted a recession, but I'm sure you will find my quote to show otherwise.
    Charles lives in K&C so the price of his flat might well be falling.

I thought you lived somewhat further out in a rather more downmarket district - so prices near you might be rather more bouyant.

:wink:
    I've been thinking about coming back to London recently and I hope prices fall in NW before then. Hopefully enough for me to buy a 4 bedroom place.
    If you are willing to pay enough I have a 4 bedroom place to sell you :smiley:
    edited March 2018
    Alistair said:

DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Elliot said:

Remember, it was worse than that - the Clinton campaign knew they were behind there but chose not to campaign to send false signals.
    Sanders may well have won Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin, 2/3 of which he won in the Democratic primaries and hence the EC. Though Trump may have done a bit better against him than Hillary in California and New York given Hillary won those primaries and hence the popular vote
    rkrkrk said:

His Lordship has put up the details and commentary of his London poll.

A handy reminder of how different everyone on this site is from the public at large:
    "Half of all London voters, including more than four in ten of those who voted Labour last year, said they had never heard of Momentum."
    I wonder how many of them in Labour run administrations think their council is run by Theresa May's baby-eating Tories....?
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,832
    Italian election news,

Five Star open to speaking to anyone, but *for now* Salvini commits himself to the centre right coalition (which of course does not have numbers to govern).

Salvini repeats that the Euro “was and is the wrong choice.”

I think the right’s best hope is somehow attracting Five Star flake-aways, but they’d need *a lot* of them.

Wonder if that would include Jeremy Corbyn, again voting for both Leave and Remain?

"Of course I voted for Remain...."
    I wonder how many MPs on the Tory side who publicly backed remain to keep in with Cameron voted leave in the privacy of the polling booth as well?

• MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Denial
    Anger
    Bargaining
    Depression
    Acceptance

I think we have (as a country) reached the 3rd stage in the Brexit process. All the talk of 2nd referendums is part of this, and gives people hope it can be negotiated away.

Still some are stuck on stages 1 or 2 through...

• felixfelix Posts: 15,124

You generate that much rubbish?

Who knew....
    :)
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Denial
    Anger
    Bargaining
    Depression
    Acceptance

I think we have (as a country) reached the 3rd stage in the Brexit process. All the talk of 2nd referendums is part of this, and gives people hope it can be negotiated away.

I thought Brexit was supposed to be a positive thing. Not the equivalent of a death.
    edited March 2018
    Charles said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

All politicians deceive, mislead, partially inform, spin. At one level those are synonyms for lying.

I didn’t say anything about Leavers in my post. It was a general point.

Toppo claimed last week that nobody had predicted a recession would follow a Leave vote and that house prices had fallen since.

I'm not sure whether he was attempting to deceive, mislead, partially inform, spin or was merely talking bollox about things he knew little about.
    Welcome to the discussion Richard, almost missed you back there.

Plus it must be catching. Charles: "London house prices haven’t fallen as much as I thought"

And I think I acknowledged the UK house price situation soon afterwards.

Don't remember saying that no one predicted a recession, but I'm sure you will find my quote to show otherwise.
    Charles lives in K&C so the price of his flat might well be falling.

I thought you lived somewhat further out in a rather more downmarket district - so prices near you might be rather more bouyant.

:wink:
    I've been thinking about coming back to London recently and I hope prices fall in NW before then. Hopefully enough for me to buy a 4 bedroom place.
    If you are willing to pay enough I have a 4 bedroom place to sell you :smiley:
    This 1 bed detached bungalow (an igloo) in Nottingham has been on sale on rightmove since last week - a snip at £99k. I cannot believe it's not been removed.

Apparently it's now sold subject to melting!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-53214819.html?utm_content=v2-ealertspropertyimage&utm_medium=email&utm_source=emailupdates&utm_campaign=emailupdates1day&utm_term=buying&sc_id=12352257&onetime_FromEmail=true
    Jonathan said:

Denial
    Anger
    Bargaining
    Depression
    Acceptance

I thought Brexit was supposed to be a positive thing. Not the equivalent of a death.

How Remainers see it.

• edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,140
    brendan16 said:

I think the point is perhaps that not all immigrants are net contributors - many rely on welfare, tax credits and housing benefits to get by or receive them anyway. And not all pensioners and older people are net recipients of state support - many are wealthy and pay large sums in tax.

Isn't the idea to follow the Canadian, Aussie and Kiwi approach whereby you allow in those likely to be net contributors rather than a free for all where a car washer from Bucharest gets preferential and automatic access even though he may not overall be a net contributor whereas a doctor from Brazil who clearly will be doesn't. Surely we want the best from all over the world - not the unemployed and unskilled from eastern and Southern Europe?

This is the theory, but in practice when you put the British government in charge of something that's turning a profit, it will work out a way to turn it into a loss.

You can see this now with migration, where EU migration is unmanaged and makes a profit, and non-EU migration is managed by the government, and makes a loss. It's almost as if the government is trying to lose money on purpose: For example, a non-UK spouse who will be dependent on their UK partner is allowed, but a non-UK spouse earning money and supporting a UK spouse is verboten.
  • Both Di Maio (5 Star) and Salvini (Lega) have claimed the right to form the new government, which makes things interesting - will the President go for the largest party or largest coalition to start the first formation attempt?

The PD seem to be saying they will go into opposition, but then the SPD initially said that in Germany.

The site below seems to have the best maps:

http://elezioni.repubblica.it/2018/senatodellarepubblica

The centre-left even lost Emilia-Romagna which is firmly "red belt" and might be the first time it's been won by the right since the war.

The M5S meanwhile dominate the south, going all the way up to Marche and Abbruzzo on the Adriatic coast.

Thanks

DC
  • welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    felix said:

If we do have a trade war can we have a 4,000% tariff on pizzas with pineapple on them?

We import pineapple pizzas??
    Pizzas are from Italy and pineapple aren't grown here are they
    Pizzas can be made in the UK - however, of course spaghetti imports depend on how good the harvest is from the trees in Italy [source BBC approx 1950's April 1st. :)
    Bizarrely it was actually Swiss spaghetti from Ticino.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Jonathan said:

Denial
    Anger
    Bargaining
    Depression
    Acceptance

That Kübler-Ross crap is crap anyway. It possibly describes the reaction of a small child to having its ice cream confiscated, but grief is a very distinct emotion in its own right, not made up of bits of different ones.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,561
    For anyone not up to speed on Italian politics, this link should help...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Star

edited March 2018

Italian election news,

Five Star open to speaking to anyone, but *for now* Salvini commits himself to the centre right coalition (which of course does not have numbers to govern).

I think the right’s best hope is somehow attracting Five Star flake-aways, but they’d need *a lot* of them.

If Salvini becomes PM then the EU will not only face Brexit but a possible Eurozone Italian ciao!
    Scott_P said:
    That is devastating.

"when Mrs May appeals for “a comprehensive system of mutual recognition” she is going still further. She is not asking for something that applies within the EU. She is asking for something that even EU Member States do not expect of each other. A “comprehensive system of mutual recognition” is not found within the EU. Mrs May is asking that the UK be treated better than a Member State of the EU."

But the speech is still seen as a triumph - so I suppose it served its purpose.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    HYUFD said:

Italian election news,

If Salvini becomes PM then the EU will not only face Brexit but a possible Eurozone Italian ciao!
    I doubt it, but he won't make life easy for them. He'd need 5* to fall in line as well as some of the minor parties, and there's no guarantee that Italy would vote to leave. More likely if Salvini does become PM he will use the threat of leaving or a referendum to get concessions on their contributions, especially with the UK leaving behind a ~€14bn gap after 2020. Italy are already a huge net contributor and I highly doubt that Salvini would accept being asked to pay another €3bn per year when we leave.

new thread

• Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814
    That's easily reconciled with the referendum on the deal having majority support as shown in other polls:

Rerun of original: no.
    New referendum on the deal: yes.

(Should we have ordered a sofa: well, yes, the facts there haven't changed much. Should we have the right to reject the sofa we're given? Also yes.)

For anyone not up to speed on Italian politics, this link should help...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Star

We’re all well informed here about the Italian system. Maybe we could be collectively described as system addicts?
    MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

Italian election news,

I doubt it, but he won't make life easy for them. He'd need 5* to fall in line as well as some of the minor parties, and there's no guarantee that Italy would vote to leave. More likely if Salvini does become PM he will use the threat of leaving or a referendum to get concessions on their contributions, especially with the UK leaving behind a ~€14bn gap after 2020. Italy are already a huge net contributor and I highly doubt that Salvini would accept being asked to pay another €3bn per year when we leave.
    It would certainly create a longer movement problem for Brussels from north and south
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,832
    HYUFD said:

Italian election news,

I actually hope so, although the exit process would be a nightmare.
    It would be good for “the EU” to be less correlated with the “Eurozone”. Neither Italy or Greece should be in the Eurozone.

HYUFD said:

Italian election news,

I actually hope so, although the exit process would be a nightmare.
    It would be good for “the EU” to be less correlated with the “Eurozone”. Neither Italy or Greece should be in the Eurozone.
    Agreed
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    rkrkrk said:

Scott_P said:
    That is devastating.

"when Mrs May appeals for “a comprehensive system of mutual recognition” she is going still further. She is not asking for something that applies within the EU. She is asking for something that even EU Member States do not expect of each other. A “comprehensive system of mutual recognition” is not found within the EU. Mrs May is asking that the UK be treated better than a Member State of the EU."

It's garbage. Has the professor not heard of Equivalence? In any case, even in its own terms his argument doesn't work: he jumps from the (correct) observation that mutual recognition within the EU is not absolute to the conclusion that no mutual recognition is therefore possible, a non sequitur which I would hope he would immediately pounce on if committed by one of his students.

It is remarkable how Brexit addles brains on both sides.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,974

rkrkrk said:

Scott_P said:
    That is devastating.

It's garbage. Has the professor not heard of Equivalence? In any case, even in its own terms his argument doesn't work: he jumps from the (correct) observation that mutual recognition within the EU is not absolute to the conclusion that no mutual recognition is therefore possible, a non sequitur which I would hope he would immediately pounce on if committed by one of his students.

Equivalence is not binding and can be taken away. It's very different from what May is asking for.
  • not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

Councils should be allowed to spend far less on the elderly and far more on children's services and schools. Much better to invest in the future than the past.

rkrkrk said:

Scott_P said:
    That is devastating.

Country A and B are EU members. Both A and B separately agree to recognise the UK's regulations. Does that force A and B to recognise each others'?

rkrkrk said:

Scott_P said:
    That is devastating.

Equivalence is not binding and can be taken away. It's very different from what May is asking for.
    It is slightly different, yes. But it immediately disproves his point. Since I assume he's not a complete idiot, his article seems to be yet another example of someone arguing backwards from his conclusion.
    Why are comments disabled on the new thread?
  • Why are comments disabled on the new thread?

Mike's fixing it at the moment.

Wifi problems.
  • NEW THREAD - WORKING PROPERLY NOW

rkrkrk said:

Scott_P said:
    That is devastating.

I think there's a chance he understands it better than you.
    rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

Scott_P said:
    That is devastating.

I think there's a chance he understands it better than you.
    Clearly not, as my post shows.
  • The problem with Mike Smithson's idea is that a high propotion of Remainers are also Labour voters and as such I'm not convinced that they would welcome the requirement to provide ID at any future referendum, since such a procedure would inevitably become de rigeur at all future General Elections and *cough* I don't see that going down at all well with those responsible for getting out the vote.
This discussion has been closed.