Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New Ashcroft poll of London suggests TMay’s Tories should expe

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

Mr. Eagles, the joy being an insomniac is that you can have chocolate for supper, safe in the knowledge you'll sleep badly with or without the caffeine.

On the bright side of insomnia - only eight more sleeps to Christmas!
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Betting post

5-4 Lib Dem Majority Sutton looks enormous to my eyes, it has been held by the yellow peril since 1990. Current split is 45 LD - 9 Tories. Remember people vote differently in locals and nationals..

I've been allowed £40, 'boosted' to 27-20.

It's all up presumably
    Yep, but it was all up in 2014 too !
    The Lib Dems have at least stabilised in SW London since then, and can afford to lose up to 18 councillors before the bet fails...
    sorry that was more a question that a point.

if it had been in thirds...!
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

BBC Headline:

"Big thaw leaves thousands without water"

Surely should be:

"Big thaw leaves thousands without snow"?

Oh, and of course they've used that imaginative phrase "Big thaw".

Big thaw leaves thousands with too much of the wrong sort of water, if you think about it. And what else would you expect, when the wrong sort of snow melts?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,199
    edited March 2018
    Betting post:

We saw Deontay Wilder get past Luis Ortiz, having been rocked in r.7 and then coming back to knock the Cuban out in r.10. Orthodoxy is that Wilder relied on his punching power, aggression and heart, rather than technique, to get past an ageing but better boxer.

Similarly, the orthodoxy is that we expect AJ to KO anyone who comes up in front of him, including Joseph Parker later this month, relying more on punching power than technique, where he is still learning the latter. But Parker can box, perhaps is more of a natural boxer, can also bang and, as AJ gets bigger and bigger, can use the ring to keep clear of those big shots (he also can take a shot). It is entirely possible that he outmanoeuvres AJ, gets behind his jab, and then finds the perfect shot or shots to stop AJ.

Now, this is unlikely for Parker to do, but not the current 7.2 against on BF unlikely and I have backed him at that price. (I have also backed the draw as Canelo/Golovkin reminded us that this is how fights can end.)
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Congrats, Mr. Mark.

Mr. Mark (2), fair warning: those who use the abominable expression "more sleeps" may find themselves being loaded head first into an enormous cannon.

Cheers, Mr. Topping.

Lots of lovely tips today.
  • Options
    Jaguar Land Rover suspend production due to water supply problems from Severn Trent Water Authority
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935
    edited March 2018
    Trevor Baylis, inventor of the wind-up radio, has died at age 80

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-england-43290756
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274

Jaguar Land Rover suspend production due to water supply problems from Severn Trent Water Authority

GDP figures aren’t going to look too clever this quarter.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Trevor Bayliss, inventor of the wind-up radio, has died

His later life story was rather sad. He lost control of his IP and didn’t have a huge amount of money.
  • Options
    Meanwhile, in politically correct idiocy:
    https://twitter.com/MartinDaubney/status/970677938462056455
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,112

I was pleasantly surprised by the strong PMI for services today but the lost production over the last week is going to give something of a bump to the growth figures in Q1.
  • Options
    RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359

The Solihull site? Bits of the west side of Birmingham/Solihull have been having water supply problems since Friday.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

Meanwhile, in politically correct idiocy:
    https://twitter.com/MartinDaubney/status/970677938462056455

I think it's just idiocy, isn't it
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    Off-topic but on thread. Have just had an email from YouGov that says it's a survey for all councillors. It's all about fast-food chains and coffee shops: Costa, Starbucks, Subway, KFC, McD, Greggs etc. So there might be some polling news coming up to back up the thread discussion.

I'm halfway through and already feel like a KFC. Must resist!
  • Options
    Mr. Urquhart, that's rather sad.
  • Options

GDP figures aren’t going to look too clever this quarter.
    Markit are saying 0.4%. That would be an ok start to the year.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

HYUFD said:

His later life story was rather sad. He lost control of his IP and didn’t have a huge amount of money.
    Yes he spent a lot of time trying to protect ip rights but his inventions made a difference
  • Options
    prh47bridgeprh47bridge Posts: 441
    Scott_P said:

Sandpit said:

Four of the top ten (and two of the top three) EU>Non-EU city pairs involve London and the USA, there will be a deal no matter what happens, neither country can afford for there not to be one.

It doesn't say there will not be a deal.

It says our deal will be worse than now.

You won. Suck it up!
    No, it doesn't say that. It says the initial offer by the US is worse than the deal we have now. I suspect that our starting position asks for something better than the deal we have now. Until both sides have agreed we have no idea whether the final deal will be better or worse than the current deal. Indeed, even then it is possible people will disagree as to whether the new deal is better or worse.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

Scott_P said:

Sandpit said:

Four of the top ten (and two of the top three) EU>Non-EU city pairs involve London and the USA, there will be a deal no matter what happens, neither country can afford for there not to be one.

You won. Suck it up!
    No, it doesn't say that. It says the initial offer by the US is worse than the deal we have now. I suspect that our starting position asks for something better than the deal we have now. Until both sides have agreed we have no idea whether the final deal will be better or worse than the current deal. Indeed, even then it is possible people will disagree as to whether the new deal is better or worse.
    And our dreadful government is keeping all the details carefully hidden, just in case we do not like what they are planning for us.
  • Options
    HistorianHistorian Posts: 23
    Brexit is not a "Conservative flagship policy".

Brexit was a decision made by a majority of the British people in a democratic referendum. The Conservative government at the time advocated Remain. The present one is merely implementing the referendum decision. Labour's position -if it can be called a position -is also for Brexit and Labour is led by a lifelong brexiteer.

I dont think we should read too much into the hammering that the Tories are likely to get in London-especially in a mid term situation. London is also fertile ground for Labour. Even Ed Miliband did well in London.

Labour will do a lap of honour the next day. But Labour is in a state of hubris. Nemesis comes later....................
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,914
    I searched for the smut and couldn't find it. Does anyone have a direct link?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,210

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Betting post

5-4 Lib Dem Majority Sutton looks enormous to my eyes, it has been held by the yellow peril since 1990. Current split is 45 LD - 9 Tories. Remember people vote differently in locals and nationals..

I've been allowed £40, 'boosted' to 27-20.

It's all up presumably
    Yep, but it was all up in 2014 too !
    The Lib Dems have at least stabilised in SW London since then, and can afford to lose up to 18 councillors before the bet fails...
    sorry that was more a question that a point.

if it had been in thirds...!
    Now suspended at 11/10
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,834
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes he spent a lot of time trying to protect ip rights but his inventions made a difference
    A huge difference in the third world especially, where a radio gave access to information.

Another good man gone, RIP.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Tyson,

"Linda Macs veggie sausages are great"

Hmm ... veggie sausage, cooked gently, almost simmered until a deep brown colour, sprinkled with paprika and served piping hot ... before being tipped softly into the nearest rubbish bin.

If it doesn't stick you ribs together and leave a greasy film around the sink, it's not worth cooking.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    So far all of the so-called 'questions' have been absolutely dire, not asking anything but trying to make mostly silly points. It's not exactly an advert for parliamentary involvement in the negotiations.
  • Options
    Historian said:

Brexit is not a "Conservative flagship policy".

Brexit was a decision made by a majority of the British people in a democratic referendum. The Conservative government at the time advocated Remain. The present one is merely implementing the referendum decision. Labour's position -if it can be called a position -is also for Brexit and Labour is led by a lifelong brexiteer.

I dont think we should read too much into the hammering that the Tories are likely to get in London-especially in a mid term situation. London is also fertile ground for Labour. Even Ed Miliband did well in London.

Labour will do a lap of honour the next day. But Labour is in a state of hubris. Nemesis comes later....................

Given Labour needs around 10 or more net gains to gain any Tory council in London beyond Barnet Corbyn may not end up doing quite the lap of honour expected
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I searched for the smut and couldn't find it. Does anyone have a direct link?
    https://www.markreckless.com/

https://www.markreckless.com/markreckless_OoFl93tb.php
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

A huge difference in the third world especially, where a radio gave access to information.

Another good man gone, RIP.
    Yes RIP someone who actually did something and deserved his minor celebrity
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Sandpit said:

You won. Suck it up!
    The FT article (https://www.ft.com/content/9461157c-1f97-11e8-9efc-0cd3483b8b80 - warning, paywalled) says that the issue is:

US negotiators offered only a standard bilateral agreement. These typically require airlines to be majority owned and controlled by parties from their country of origin.

Such limits would be problematic for British carriers as they have large foreign shareholdings

So, in the case of British Airways, the issue is that it is part of IAG (together with Iberia), and it has a large international shareholding. I would be staggered if even a third of IAG's shareholder base was in the UK.

Virgin Atlantic is 51% controlled by Virgin Group, and 49% by Delta Airlines. In theory, this should be less problematic, as Virgin Group is British. However, if they dig into the beneficial ownership of Virgin Group, they might conclude it is controlled from various Caribbean tax havens.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

Possibly because the Severn Trent Water Authority ceased to exist nearly thirty years ago?
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    " British equities are the worst rated asset class globally amongst big investors, languishing at the bottom of a list of 22 different classes of global assets. A survey of 163 fund managers by Bank of America, reported by the FT, showed UK company shares to be the least popular investment option and most likely to be backed to fall in price. "

https://www.open-britain.co.uk/mcgovern_bank_of_america_survey_shows_all_is_not_well_with_the_british_economy
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

Pulpstar said:

In my experience, it is very difficult to find a decent cooked meal in large swathes of the country, unless you want to go very up-market.

We lack the basic, grandma-cooking option: cheap but excellent. Most pubs just offer a range of fried bleugh.

Do Miller and Carter steaks pass the Gardenwalker test :o ?
    Never heard of them. Steak is so expensive, I’d you want it done well. For a very cheap option, I’m a fan of Leon. Not sure how far North they go, but I know there’s one at Birmingham New Street.
    Bring back Berni Inns - for a good steak meal.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Sandpit said:

You won. Suck it up!
    As an aside, everybody we have to make new arrangements with (whether on travel or trade) is going to use this as an opportunity to get their pound of flesh.

We need to do a deal now, and therefore we're going to concede on far more points than we would ever normally do. You can see this in Korea, where the government there is pushing back on access to the financial services market that was granted to the EU. (I suspect if we have four or five years to make a deal, then there would be no problem. But we're the supplicant and it shows.)

This is a classic example of "nations don't have friends, they have interests".
  • Options
    calum said:

" British equities are the worst rated asset class globally amongst big investors, languishing at the bottom of a list of 22 different classes of global assets. A survey of 163 fund managers by Bank of America, reported by the FT, showed UK company shares to be the least popular investment option and most likely to be backed to fall in price. "

https://www.open-britain.co.uk/mcgovern_bank_of_america_survey_shows_all_is_not_well_with_the_british_economy

That probably makes them a pretty good investment.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,491
    tyson said:

I fear in Corbyistan a microwave curry and a can of fizzy pop will be the new fine dining option...of course only one choice of curry, “curry” flavoured...if you are really pushing the boat out, dessert will be a trip to the state owned ice cream shop.

Having a curry will be banned under Corbyn.

A white English person having a curry is a form of cultural appropriation by the imperial nation and her people.

Bangers and mash for you.
    Veggie bangers of course.....
    Linda Macs veggie sausages are great, sliced down the middle, some fried onions, a good dollop of English mustard, a fried egg ontop and a splash of Encona's hot pepper sauce on some lovely soft homemade unbuttered bread/bap...Washed down with a mug of tea....A really scrummy, lovely sandwich....
    She may have broken up the world's greatest group, but she knows how to make a good sausage!

• Options
    MaxPB said:

I was suggesting earlier that Brexiters don’t seem overly worried by non-EU immigration. Right on cue,

https://twitter.com/thomasknox/status/970686706096791553

I think he may be talking about the US and chain migration.
    If he is, he's talking bollocks. US citizens can only sponsor parents, spouses, children and siblings, and there are long waiting lists for siblings and adult children.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Possibly because the Severn Trent Water Authority ceased to exist nearly thirty years ago?
    BBC announced the story on their business section and mentioned Severn Trent but I have no idea which water authority supplies their production line
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,002
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

Sandpit said:

You won. Suck it up!
    As an aside, everybody we have to make new arrangements with (whether on travel or trade) is going to use this as an opportunity to get their pound of flesh.

We need to do a deal now, and therefore we're going to concede on far more points than we would ever normally do. You can see this in Korea, where the government there is pushing back on access to the financial services market that was granted to the EU. (I suspect if we have four or five years to make a deal, then there would be no problem. But we're the supplicant and it shows.)

All this to assuage an identity crisis? Is it worth it?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845

rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

Sandpit said:

You won. Suck it up!

The Prime Minister doesn’t seem to think so.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    edited March 2018

I fear in Corbyistan a microwave curry and a can of fizzy pop will be the new fine dining option...of course only one choice of curry, “curry” flavoured...if you are really pushing the boat out, dessert will be a trip to the state owned ice cream shop.

Having a curry will be banned under Corbyn.

A white English person having a curry is a form of cultural appropriation by the imperial nation and her people.

Bangers and mash for you.
    Slightly related, this made me chuckle.

Doing so, pointed to the gender imbalance, but many watching felt it also discredited the achievements of Guillermo del Toro and Jordan Peele as people of colour.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43284494

I do wonder if the writer Ben Sutherland has ever seen del Toro.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    A stonking 40% of 31-44 year olds in Italy voted Five Star, a party whose policies include anti-vaccination.

That is a vote of desperation.

Edit: Renzi has announced he will resign once a government is formed. Though that may take some time!
  • Options
    Mafia supergrass who turned informant after her husband was killed by the Sicilian mob wins a seat in Italian government - despite not being allowed to show her face in public

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5464635/Widow-mafia-victim-elected-Italian-parliament.html
  • Options

rpjs said:

BBC announced the story on their business section and mentioned Severn Trent but I have no idea which water authority supplies their production line
    There are no water authorities any more.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "London is by far the most unequal region in Britain, with a greater slice of the nation's poorest and richest residents than anywhere else."

https://news.sky.com/story/revealed-london-is-the-most-unequal-place-in-the-uk-11275891

In other words, most lower-middle class people have moved out of London.
  • Options

A stonking 40% of 31-44 year olds in Italy voted Five Star, a party whose policies include anti-vaccination.

Edit: Renzi has announced he will resign once a government is formed. Though that may take some time!

Brexit, the move across Europe to the hard right and left is the clearest evidence of the out of touch Europe elite and it is only going to end in tears for so many
  • Options
    rpjs said:

rpjs said:

There are no water authorities any more.
    At least for now....
  • Options
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

Sandpit said:

You won. Suck it up!

An identity crisis within the Conservative Party. Obviously not worth it.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,955
    PClipp said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

Sandpit said:

You won. Suck it up!

It clearly extends further than that, 52% voted to leave.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

Sandpit said:

You won. Suck it up!

Remainer talking to remainer again. The 17 million plus votes to leave were not from the conservative party
  • Options
    Yes, Ed Miliband bears a heavy responsibility for the worsening of the Syria humanitarian crisis.

And when he was a minister, he was quite incompetent. I hadn't realised until recently was a screw-up his electricity smart meters scheme - which we're all paying for, and which was forced on the electricity companies against their will - was. He somehow managed to force through a scheme whereby the meters installed are readable only by the current electricity supplier. If you change supplier, you go back to manual reading. And if you then change back to the original supplier, they can no longer read their own meter! It's like a modern Tanganyika groundnut scheme in its full-on wastefulness.
  • Options
    Regardless of whether you approve of higher income tax, or higher inheritance tax, Willetts' utterances have no reason at all:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43292377

He effectively says we either tax baby boomers (his preference) or younger generations pay more. Except he then suggests increasing inheritance tax. That won't be paid by baby boomers, as they'll be dead. It'll be paid by their children. The people Willetts says shouldn't pay more. Oaf.
  • Options

Regardless of whether you approve of higher income tax, or higher inheritance tax, Willetts' utterances have no reason at all:

He effectively says we either tax baby boomers (his preference) or younger generations pay more. Except he then suggests increasing inheritance tax. That won't be paid by baby boomers, as they'll be dead. It'll be paid by their children. The people Willetts says shouldn't pay more. Oaf.

Technically it is the estate of the baby boomers who pay the tax.

I think he's drawing the distinction between a one off tax which is what an inheritance tax is versus a regular recurring tax which is what income tax/NI is.
  • Options
    Yes, we simultaneously overestimate and underestimate our influence in global affairs.

I remember that vote too. Obama was wavering, and Miliband gave him the excuse he needed. Probably Miliband’s biggest “achievement”, along with changing the membership rules of the Labour Party to allow in Corbyn.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Never mind Brexit, this is far more serious. Cadbury's have stopped production at Bournville owing to water supply problems.
  • Options

Never mind Brexit, this is far more serious. Cadbury's have stopped production at Bournville owing to water supply problems.

Overtime shifts in the factory in Poland it is then...
  • Options
    William_HWilliam_H Posts: 346
    You think we'd have been better off fighting both sides in Syria?
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,799
    edited March 2018

A lot of mention of how bad the vote was for the centre-left PD, which is true. But how much moreso for Forza and the centre right, reduced below 15%. Though Lega and Forza have typically been part of the same grouping over the years, it is arguable that the centre right block is much less coherent than the centre-left block, Berlusconi has not been shy of strange bedfellows politically, meaning centre left parties out polled centre right by around 24-14.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, technically, Willetts' idea is damned stupid because it's the opposite of his stated aim.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,894

I think he's drawing the distinction between a one off tax which is what an inheritance tax is versus a regular recurring tax which is what income tax/NI is.
    Good old two brains. One of the major attractions of voting Tory is that you get to keep/pass down your family assets in case anyone forgot to tell him.
  • Options
    So not as first reported anything to do with synthetic Chinese produced opioid that junkies are OD'ing on.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Good old two brains. One of the major attractions of voting Tory is that you get to keep/pass down your family assets in case anyone forgot to tell him.
    Except we need revenue, and the only place left to go is wealth. If the Tory’s don’t think the unthinkable, Labour will.
  • Options

So not as first reported anything to do with synthetic Chinese produced opioid that junkies are OD'ing on.
    Tommy Robinson is also very disappointed.
  • Options

PClipp said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

Sandpit said:

You won. Suck it up!

Remainer talking to remainer again. The 17 million plus votes to leave were not from the conservative party
    Of course not, Mr Wales. You are quite right, not from the Conservative Party at all. Most of them, in my opinion, were cast against the Conservative Party, its effete and useless leadership (Cameron and Osborne) and the whole gang of international multi-millionaires and oligarchs. There votes were then hijacked by the aforementioned toffs etc to do down Britain and flog us off to the Americans, French, Chinese etc. This is a work still in progress.

No wonder Mrs May is confused.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Yup, my parents will be very upset.
  • Options

Why what did he think it was?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Except we need revenue, and the only place left to go is wealth. If the Tory’s don’t think the unthinkable, Labour will.
    Rich oldies need to start coughing up.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,917

Pulpstar said:

No we don't need more revenue. We need to cut our spending. The State already takes far too much of our money.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

What level do you consider oldies to be rich
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    One of the most shameful acts of calculated duplicity for short-term advantage I can remember. And they revile Blair for having blood on his hands...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

calum said:

That probably makes them a pretty good investment.
    Yep, as clear a buy signal as you are ever going to see. No wonder the FTSE was up again today.
  • Options

His supporters think it was Muslims moving up to chemical weapons.

I had to misfortune to click on a Sky News tweet about that explosion in Leicester, christ it was a sewer.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,894

Pulpstar said:

Oh Lord give us houses and taxes, just not on or near me.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

The level that brings in the appropriate level of revenues.

Pensioners are wealthier than average, yet one pound in seven spent by the government is spent on a state pension. It's a completely indefensible level of intergenerational subsidy.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

End the triple lock.
    Raise the retirement age.
    Make them pay NI.
    Increase inheritance tax.
    And implement a very modest property tax to replace council tax.

Or beggar the grandkids.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited March 2018

Pulpstar said:

Your home is not 'wealth' it is a place to live.

• Options

His supporters think it was Muslims moving up to chemical weapons.

I had to misfortune to click on a Sky News tweet about that explosion in Leicester, christ it was a sewer.
    The shop explosion in Leicester is a funny old case. Obviously criminal stuff going on now, so careful what is said, but all rather odd.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

One of the most shameful acts of calculated duplicity for short-term advantage I can remember. And they revile Blair for having blood on his hands...
    He stabbed his brother in the back, he stabbed the people of Syria in the back, Dave and Sir Micky Fallon were right that Ed would betray his country.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Your home is not a 'wealth' it is a place to live.

So naive.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

No we don't need more revenue. We need to cut our spending. The State already takes far too much of our money.
    Had Osborne remained Chancellor his target was for spending to fall to 35% of GDP, the same as the tax take and to the same level as the last years of the Thatcher government and the first years of the Blair government.

However Brexit and Corbyn put paid to that
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pensioners are wealthier than average, yet one pound in seven spent by the government is spent on a state pension. It's a completely indefensible level of intergenerational subsidy.
    And pensioners have paid tax all their lives and continue to do so beyond retirement.

How much is the appropriate level of revenue you want from oldies
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Actually I don't disagree with adjusting taxation to take more from the wealthy elderly. But it should be tied to a massive reduction in spending. We can get rid of all the extra benefits the wealthy elderly get for a start.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606

Pulpstar said:

Tax old people's income, make them pay NI, it will raise more than enough to fill the NHS funding gap.
  • Options

Yes increasing inheritance tax is political suicide and will still end up being paid by the younger generation.

His proposal to have more top rate bands for council tax assessment were much more sensible
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

End the triple lock.
    Make them pay NI.

Or beggar the grandkids.
    End the triple lock. - Agreed

Raise the retirement age. - Very much agreed

Make them pay NI. - Very much agreed

Increase inheritance tax. - Absolutely not. That is a tax on the young not the old.

And implement a very modest property tax to replace council tax. - You mean like Rates? There was a reason we got rid of those last time.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I think there is scope to raise the tax take from income, BUT (and it's a big but) only if the currently ludicrously high marginal rates at various points in the income curve are sorted out first. For example, we currently have a 62% marginal tax rate on income from £100K to £120K on earned income, plus an additional 13.8% employer's NI. That means that the total marginal rate is 67%. There's no way you can get extra revenue by bumping that up, you have to reduce it to something vaguely sane To add insult to injury, unearned income is taxed at a much lower rate. It's all completely barmy, which strongly suggests that a more sensible system could raise more whilst reducing damaging distortion to rational economic decisions.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    If the man involved has any links to Steele the shit is really going to hit the fan.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

A lot of mention of how bad the vote was for the centre-left PD, which is true. But how much moreso for Forza and the centre right, reduced below 15%. Though Lega and Forza have typically been part of the same grouping over the years, it is arguable that the centre right block is much less coherent than the centre-left block, Berlusconi has not been shy of strange bedfellows politically, meaning centre left parties out polled centre right by around 24-14.
    Lega are populist right and Forza Italia are establishment right, it is like an alliance between UKIP and Boris led Tories
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,799
    Is there any possibility of Theresa May having another fit of boldness after March 29th and at the first subsequent sign of trouble taking the back me or sack me option? (Yes, I know she cannot call a leadership contest herself, but she can surely t rigger the necessary letter writing). The reason being the one year she gets it she wins, even narrowly, will take her through Brexit, and she will only have to worry about the parliamentary mathematics rather than the Tory mathematics, unless, unless, the Brexiteers go for the nuclear option.

The other upside is that the Tory process is rapid, so only a minimal amount of campaigning to do.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Tax old people's income, make them pay NI, it will raise more than enough to fill the NHS funding gap.
    As a pensioner I pay tax on my pension income but of course not working I do not pay NI.

I fully support working pensioners paying NI and the council tax system needs a lot more higher level bands
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

"London is by far the most unequal region in Britain, with a greater slice of the nation's poorest and richest residents than anywhere else."

https://news.sky.com/story/revealed-london-is-the-most-unequal-place-in-the-uk-11275891

In other words, most lower-middle class people have moved out of London.

While that may be true, that doesn't logically follow from the premise.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

http://www.bbc.co.

him.

Your home is not a 'wealth' it is a place to live.

So naive.

Pulpstar said:

End the triple lock.
    Make them pay NI.

Or beggar the grandkids.
    Inheritance tax is not a tax on the “young”, it is a tax on those who inherit. These days they tend to be middle aged, and the (unearned) money simply perpetuates the gap between haves and have nots.

In an ideal world, I would tax it at the same rate as income tax. But as that’s not politically possible, I would look at ways of clamping down on avoidance.

As for rates, we have them in NZ and they work fine. I’m not sure what the problem was/is. No sane person can defend the hugely regressive council tax system.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Is there any possibility of Theresa May having another fit of boldness after March 29th and at the first subsequent sign of trouble taking the back me or sack me option? (Yes, I know she cannot call a leadership contest herself, but she can surely t rigger the necessary letter writing). The reason being the one year she gets it she wins, even narrowly, will take her through Brexit, and she will only have to worry about the parliamentary mathematics rather than the Tory mathematics, unless, unless, the Brexiteers go for the nuclear option.

The other upside is that the Tory process is rapid, so only a minimal amount of campaigning to do.

No need - TM is taking the Country through Brexit and right now has a pretty united party.

Furthermore, the process is not rapid as candidates would have to go through hustings before narrowing down to the two who then have to go through the membership vote

It is not going to happen
  • Options
    There should be no tax on estates.

Inheritance is simply income, and should be taxed accordingly.
This discussion has been closed.