Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New Ashcroft poll of London suggests TMay’s Tories should expe

1235»

Comments

• Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    glw said:

It is very strange how quiet those who led with any tiny tit bit of news about NOTW phone hacking stories, when we now know the NOTW were part-time amateurs compared to the activities of the Mirror.

The biggest angle to me of all of this, and one the Indy spent a lot of time looking into (but got overlooked in all the outrage), claims of widespread corporate hacking.

When the story first came out it took me about 5 minutes of Googling to guess who the worst offender would likely be. I found and skimmed the ICO Motorman report. Amazingly they managed to avoid almost any public condemnation. Why one paper in particular became the focus of the public campaign is a mystery. ;)

So who was the worst offender? You write it as if we should all know.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

There should be no tax on estates.

Inheritance is simply income, and should be taxed accordingly.

Ouch....

No Nil rate band?

Just straight up to 47% over 150k or 62% over 100k to 123k?

Would it count towards tapered annual allowance?
    The tapered annual allowance is an abomination. On my first day in power I would eliminate it.

Perhaps, everyone should have a lifetime "tax free" allowance of £500,000 (inflation adjusted, of course) which can be used for income, capital gains or inheritance.
    Agreed re the taper - I can't believe they haven't abolished it, it's worse than Brown's vaguely similar tapering rubbish that lasted less than 12 months from memory
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

No. Means-testing is one of the most demeaning activities known, both to the pen-pushers who administer it and the embarrassed peopl who receive the benefits, e.g. Pension Credit is there because the previous state pension isn't enough to live on (and people still talk of abolishing the triple lock ...)

Another name for means-testing is an arbitrary and somewhat random higher marginal tax rate.

Not means testing, making all welfare contributory as it is in Switzerland. You need to have e paid in for 12 of the last 24 months in Switzerland before claiming any kind of welfare. It is a huge deterrence to unskilled people just arriving and looking for work like they do in the UK.
    Plus the requirement to get private medical insurance.

Together, they mean Switzerland combines freedom of labour with relatively limited low skilled immigration.
    Why didn't Remain propose this at the referendum?
    It's not possible within the EU system to force EU citizens to pay for private medical insurance and pay in for 12 months to claim benefits without making British people do likewise. Switzerland makes its own citizens live by these rules, no party in the UK would have the stomach to introduce benefits restrictions of this kind, especially not insurance or any limitations to getting NHS treatment.

Switzerland is just better at this stuff than the UK. There is no sentimental attachment to universal benefits or state funded healthcare.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    brendan16 said:

As for the debate about inheritance tax.

Wouldn't most people rather be able to afford to buy a home in their 20s or 30s in which to bring up their kids - than rent privately for 40 years and inherit half of one from their parents in their mid 60s?

That was of course the norm pre 2000 - even in London.

If you have skyhigh inheritance tax people will still not be able to buy a home in their 20s or 30s (more supply of houses being built and lower immigration is the only way to reduce prices), especially as parental ability to help them with a deposit will decline, nor will they inherit anywhere near enough to buy a property in their 50s or 60s either.

So we could go from late home ownership for most people to eternal renting for the majority
  • Options
    RobD said:

There's a new thread.

I like this one - it has IHT on it.... (not IDS thank god)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    MaxPB said:

No. Means-testing is one of the most demeaning activities known, both to the pen-pushers who administer it and the embarrassed peopl who receive the benefits, e.g. Pension Credit is there because the previous state pension isn't enough to live on (and people still talk of abolishing the triple lock ...)

Another name for means-testing is an arbitrary and somewhat random higher marginal tax rate.

Not means testing, making all welfare contributory as it is in Switzerland. You need to have e paid in for 12 of the last 24 months in Switzerland before claiming any kind of welfare. It is a huge deterrence to unskilled people just arriving and looking for work like they do in the UK.
    You should get more welfare payments if you have contributed more but there should still be a basic level of welfare for everyone provided you are seeking work as in Germany
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

glw said:

It is very strange how quiet those who led with any tiny tit bit of news about NOTW phone hacking stories, when we now know the NOTW were part-time amateurs compared to the activities of the Mirror.

The biggest angle to me of all of this, and one the Indy spent a lot of time looking into (but got overlooked in all the outrage), claims of widespread corporate hacking.

When the story first came out it took me about 5 minutes of Googling to guess who the worst offender would likely be. I found and skimmed the ICO Motorman report. Amazingly they managed to avoid almost any public condemnation. Why one paper in particular became the focus of the public campaign is a mystery. ;)

So who was the worst offender? You write it as if we should all know.
    Trinity Mirror. In the Motorman report, which dealt with buying private information long before phone hacking reared its ugly head, Trinity Mirror had by far the most journalists involved in that practice. Well over 100 IIRC. Not surprisingly it turned out that they were just as interested in "hacking", and Trinity Mirror have had to set aside a huge amount of money to settle claims, which are still going on even in 2018.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Good afternoon, everyone.

Coffee is black or white.

Why complicate matters with 'white'?
    In the States asking for “a white coffee” gets you odd looks...

(I now find myself asking for Americano with milk even in London, which people view as inefficient)
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

Floater said:

Russian man poisoned in UK - heard that before I think?

You are probably remembering that BBC McMafia drama on iPlayer, as it has never happened before in real life...
    Markov?
This discussion has been closed.