Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » For all TMay’s travails she continues to have a clear lead ove

Comments

• DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,776
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Even worse, a pound shop Alex Salmond.
    Ha Ha Ha David, from someone in love with a big scaredy windbag, she would not make a three bob bit.
    Not completely sure which woman you are abusing this time Malcolm.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,676
    GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

But May is apparently going to be ditched before the next election, in favour of someone who is either no better than her, or quite possibly even worse (unless they can get Ruth Davidson eligible somehow).

I don't see anyone who could be worse. At the very least the next leader will bother to turn up to the TV debates.
    Who precisely do you think would be better, and why, apart from Davidson (and perhaps Boris, who to be fair is a complete wildcard who could go either way).

Also, I'm not entirely sure May skipping the debates was as much of a mistake as people say. Yes, it made her look chicken, but that's arguably better than her actually taking part in the debates, having a car-crash, and providing all sorts of "viral" clips that would've damaged her.
    Tories are not the full shilling.
    Evening Malc! :D
    Evening Gin, what is it with Tories wetting their nappies multiple times a day.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,081
    Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

stodge said:

Jonathan said:

stodge said:

Foxy said:

I have never liked him, but he is too languid, and is the primary architect of the Tuition fee mess. He cannot walk away from it.

I would have voted anyone but Vince if it hadn't been a coronation.

Everyone knows Vince is there for the short term. The question is whether Jo Swinson will also get a coronation or whether she will be challenged by Layla Moran.
    Both very weak, in a weak field. Ed Davey?
    If it were my choice, it would be Tom Brake but he and Ed Davey know we can't go back to the pre-Coalition days. Moran represents what the Party is not what it was.

That Liberal Democrat Party, the one I joined as a Liberal, died in the fire of the Coalition, There is a new party out there - 3/4 of the current membership joined post-2015 - and it needs a leader less encumbered by the ghosts of the Rose Garden.

Yes, the membership is larger, but also even more pro-EU as a result of the last few years.

I quite like Swinson, but she does seem to be most interested in gender politics, rather than bread and butter social or economic issues likely to get support out at elections.

Tom Brake is possible, and Moran increasingly impressive, but I am a Lambite at heart. He was a very capable minister.
    You don't need a minister, you need a campaigner.
    Vince is lame at campaigning. What has he done in the last year?

If recent politics is Alice in Wonderland, with Corbyn as Mad Hatter, and May as the Red Queen, Vince is the Dormouse!

Lamb has made excellent use of his backbench status to campaign on mental health issues, and has a lot of ground level campaigning experience in Local elections.

DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

I see many Londoners are still without water.

And Scots are without milk and bread. Nicola Sturgeon told the lorry drivers to get off the road because it was snowing. Our supply chain has still not recovered and thousands of self employed drivers are suffering serious hardship. Still, it got a good headline in the National.
    Propaganda David, I am munching M&S bread with lashings of milk in my tea. You Tories just cannot help yourselves with the porkies. Tell your manservant he is going to the wrong shops.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697
    edited March 2018
    malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

But May is apparently going to be ditched before the next election, in favour of someone who is either no better than her, or quite possibly even worse (unless they can get Ruth Davidson eligible somehow).

I don't see anyone who could be worse. At the very least the next leader will bother to turn up to the TV debates.
    Who precisely do you think would be better, and why, apart from Davidson (and perhaps Boris, who to be fair is a complete wildcard who could go either way).

Also, I'm not entirely sure May skipping the debates was as much of a mistake as people say. Yes, it made her look chicken, but that's arguably better than her actually taking part in the debates, having a car-crash, and providing all sorts of "viral" clips that would've damaged her.
    Something to do with "Nanny" perhaps? ;)
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

stodge said:

Jonathan said:

stodge said:

Foxy said:

I have never liked him, but he is too languid, and is the primary architect of the Tuition fee mess. He cannot walk away from it.

Everyone knows Vince is there for the short term. The question is whether Jo Swinson will also get a coronation or whether she will be challenged by Layla Moran.
    If it were my choice, it would be Tom Brake but he and Ed Davey know we can't go back to the pre-Coalition days. Moran represents what the Party is not what it was.

That Liberal Democrat Party, the one I joined as a Liberal, died in the fire of the Coalition, There is a new party out there - 3/4 of the current membership joined post-2015 - and it needs a leader less encumbered by the ghosts of the Rose Garden.

Yes, the membership is larger, but also even more pro-EU as a result of the last few years.

I quite like Swinson, but she does seem to be most interested in gender politics, rather than bread and butter social or economic issues likely to get support out at elections.

Tom Brake is possible, and Moran increasingly impressive, but I am a Lambite at heart. He was a very capable minister.

If recent politics is Alice in Wonderland, with Corbyn as Mad Hatter, and May as the Red Queen, Vince is the Dormouse!

Lamb has made excellent use of his backbench status to campaign on mental health issues, and has a lot of ground level campaigning experience in Local elections.

Indeed and Lamb held on at GE17 in a seat that at the referendum was 58% leave.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited March 2018
    Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

stodge said:

Jonathan said:

stodge said:

Foxy said:

Vince was shit as a minister too. He great at doing media analysis, on one hand this on another hand that, but only thing of note he did in government was the botched post office sell off.

Lamb, Alexander and Webb in comparison were very good in their roles.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

stodge said:

Jonathan said:

stodge said:

Foxy said:

In the past year Cable won his seat back. That's not bad.

He is one of the two people with any reach beyond your party .
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

And Scots are without milk and bread. Nicola Sturgeon told the lorry drivers to get off the road because it was snowing. Our supply chain has still not recovered and thousands of self employed drivers are suffering serious hardship. Still, it got a good headline in the National.
    Propaganda David, I am munching M&S bread with lashings of milk in my tea. You Tories just cannot help yourselves with the porkies. Tell your manservant he is going to the wrong shops.
    Don’t have a manservant Malcolm but Tesco’s and Asda were both out of milk and bread in Dundee today. Asda was rationing for a while but still ran out.

Who is the current leader of UKIP? Is there one?

Gerard Batten's the interim leader.

He's the chap that wants me to sign a code of conduct saying I won't blow myself up and things like that.
    I am more worried about your terrible taste in music...we need to get you to sign up to a code of conduct promising not to go to see bands like Steps so they don’t continue to tour...
    It is said my music collection contains more evil than an ISIS suggestion box.
    Crickey it’s worse an I thought....time for a call to the anti-extremist hotline...
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Ha Ha Ha David, from someone in love with a big scaredy windbag, she would not make a three bob bit.
    Ruthie David, as if as a Gentlemen I would be abusing anyone close to you. I should have perhaps said your second love , Buffalo Rider.
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

Don’t have a manservant Malcolm but Tesco’s and Asda were both out of milk and bread in Dundee today. Asda was rationing for a while but still ran out.
    People are mental but hardly Sturgeon's fault. I got plenty in M&S on Sunday , nice San Francisco sourgdough and rye, plus Sainsbury's had lots of milk yesterday. You should move to a classier part of the country, we have lots of cows here.
    GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Something to do with "Nanny" perhaps? ;)
    You will be correct GIN, it is down to goats.
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Ruthie David, as if as a Gentlemen I would be abusing anyone close to you. I should have perhaps said your second love , Buffalo Rider.
    Who is Buffalo Rider? Sounds a bit exotic for the likes of me Malcolm.

And Ruth had a career with the BBC before she went into politics. Probably had a bigger audience than Alex is managing. Have you watched it?
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

And Ruth had a career with the BBC before she went into politics. Probably had a bigger audience than Alex is managing. Have you watched it?
    You mean you did not see the state of her riding a buffalo for publicity.
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921
    edited March 2018

Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

stodge said:

Jonathan said:

stodge said:

Foxy said:

Indeed and Lamb held on at GE17 in a seat that at the referendum was 58% leave.
    Perhaps, then, the rest of his party should listen to him on respecting the voters:

http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/update/2017-09-16/mp-warns-lib-dems-to-stop-treating-brexit-voters-like-idiots/
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

You mean you did not see the state of her riding a buffalo for publicity.
    No, I remember a tank. Not a buffalo. I am happy to take your word for it though. Who’d be a politician?
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,774
    tlg86 said:

stodge said:

tlg86 said:

I see you're talking fatuous nonsense. "Many" Londoners - a hundred thousand, half a million or nearer one thousand or even 500 ?

No problems here with water and I don't know of anyone who has issues. Yes, there is a burst pipe in East Ham High Street but the good folk of Newham are coping well.

We rely on provincial England to make a crisis out of a drama.

Fair point. It is around 1,000 homes and businesses:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43298773

To be fair, it was the headline on BBC London News tonight so I guessed it was a significant number of people.

The whole of Woking could be without water and BBC London wouldn't even know about it.
    What's Woking? Is it a shoe shop?

(Bonus point for whoever gets the reference.)
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

What an idiot. ALl that will do is persuade voters to rethink about ever using Ryanair again.
    Michael O'Leary has always been a cock.
    O’Leary goes into a bar in Dublin and asks for a pint of Guinness. “That will be 2.50 Euros”, said the barman.
    “Wow” said O’Leary. “That has to be the best price in Dublin.”

“Yes”, said the barman, “Would you be wanting a glass with that?”
    Boom boom.
    Have to say the Paris stadium looks fantastic.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

stodge said:

tlg86 said:

I see you're talking fatuous nonsense. "Many" Londoners - a hundred thousand, half a million or nearer one thousand or even 500 ?

No problems here with water and I don't know of anyone who has issues. Yes, there is a burst pipe in East Ham High Street but the good folk of Newham are coping well.

To be fair, it was the headline on BBC London News tonight so I guessed it was a significant number of people.

The whole of Woking could be without water and BBC London wouldn't even know about it.

I'll guess Hitchhiker's Guide.
    tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

stodge said:

tlg86 said:

I'm afraid not.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,961
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Dr. Foxy, they should've gone for Lamb, [as I advocated].

As indeed I did!

Lamb chose not to stand as he wasn't happy with current party position on Brexit. He wanted to abide by the result with a soft Brexit.
    Er, wouldn't that have been a policy a new leader could have changed???
    Not really, as policy is decided democratically by members, and many of the new members joined specifically to fight Brexit.
    A fight they are going to lose. A new leader could perhaps enthuse these new members on other stuff just when they are otherwise going to get cold feet and walk away. "If they can't stop Brexit, what's the point of the LibDems?"
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2018
    EU proposed lines-to-take on Theresa May's speech and the future relationship:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/mar/06/theresa-may-conservative-politics-brexit-solutions-leaked-eu-report

Page 4 is a good laugh. They seem to be claiming, apparently with a straight face, that there will have to be inspections at the Irish border to search for gear gum and okra from India, and plastic kitchenware from China and Hong Kong.
  • Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    malcolmg said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Davidson is worse than May, you Tories are not the full shilling.
    Well, I never thought I'd be called a Tory :D
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043
    tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

stodge said:

tlg86 said:

Sounds a bit Oscar Wilde to me.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    Danny565 said:

malcolmg said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

I was once, and a mere 6 years later I did indeed vote Tory for the first time. Only a matter of time for you now.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/mar/06/theresa-may-conservative-politics-brexit-solutions-leaked-eu-report

Page 4 is a good laugh. They seem to be claiming, apparently with a straight face, that there will have to be inspections at the Irish border to search for gear gum and okra from India, and plastic kitchenware from China and Hong Kong.

At least it seems their objection now is only to "double cherry-picking". Cherry picking is now an option?
    LibDems need to decide whether there is more mileage fishing for soft Tories or Blairites. I reckon that they migh do well positioned as the true heirs to Cameron, Clegg and the Coalition. Lamb might be good for that. Labour voters will be hard to reach for a generation.

Missed a trick there. Surely should have been chlorinated chicken. Do these people not read PB?
    kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

malcolmg said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

I was once, and a mere 6 years later I did indeed vote Tory for the first time. Only a matter of time for you now.
    A moment of madness.
    rcs1000 said:
    That's quite obscure!
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842

Fukushima ffsake lol
    Jonathan said:

LibDems need to decide whether there is more mileage fishing for soft Tories or Blairites. I reckon that they migh do well positioned as the true heirs to Cameron, Clegg and the Coalition. Lamb might be good for that. Labour voters will be hard to reach for a generation.

I though Blairites were soft Tories?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    Pulpstar said:

Fukushima ffsake lol
    https://twitter.com/konotaromp/status/941267067306631169
  • Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited March 2018
    Jonathan said:

The real golden market for the Lib Dems has always been rural, poorer voters: people who think the Tories are a bit too rich for "people like me", but that Labour are too metropolitan and don't understand the countryside. Paddy Ashdown vacuumed those sorts of people up, in particular.

The problem is that those sorts of voters seemed to largely vote for Brexit.
    rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

I though Blairites were soft Tories?
    Only if you view the world from way over on the distant left. Blairites used to enjoy dining on Tories for breakfast. Ah, the good old days.
    Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

malcolmg said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

A moment of madness.
    Time will tell. All sinners can be redeemed after all.

Pulpstar said:

Fukushima ffsake lol
    Not sure that completely explains his recent behaviour.
    DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

Fukushima ffsake lol
    Not sure that completely explains his recent behaviour.
    Maybe he scoffed a few of those "BSE-free" burgers off John Gummer too?
    Danny565 said:

Jonathan said:

The real golden market for the Lib Dems has always been rural, poorer voters: people who think the Tories are a bit too rich for "people like me", but that Labour are too metropolitan and don't understand the countryside. Paddy Ashdown vacuumed those sorts of people up, in particular.

One of several reasons that Lamb would have been effective.

I expect that he would have lost in a contest, but he would have had my vote and it would have been a useful debate within the party.
    Danny565 said:

Jonathan said:

Lib Dems have more potential in metropolitan Liberal seats.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    For any lawyers/legal experts on the site, I see in American politics a lot on the American right are making a big deal about Christopher Steele not turning up to court in London for a deposition.

To my knowledge depositions aren't a thing in this country, although it might just be a different word, and I can't see any British media reporting anything about this. Is it fake news or something else?
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

Nice background music.
    twitter.com/martyn_williams/status/971022544877703168

If I were Kim Jong-un I'd be saying to the southerners "with my nukes and your hi-tech industry we could CONQUER <clarkson pause> THE WORLD!"
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

For any lawyers/legal experts on the site, I see in American politics a lot on the American right are making a big deal about Christopher Steele not turning up to court in London for a deposition.

To my knowledge depositions aren't a thing in this country, although it might just be a different word, and I can't see any British media reporting anything about this. Is it fake news or something else?

I think US courts can order depositions overseas in appropriate cases.
  • For any lawyers/legal experts on the site, I see in American politics a lot on the American right are making a big deal about Christopher Steele not turning up to court in London for a deposition.

Letters rogatory?
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688
    The really concerning thing about Corbyn is not that he's who he is and has his own incomprehensible view as to how the world functions or not, but that people don't mind nonsense from their politicians.

For what it's worth Corbyn has himself reigned in the dafter policies. Whether that's because he realises his dafter policies are daft, or whether he wishes to camouflage those daft policies who can tell. Perhaps a bit of both.

Ishmael_Z said:

Cheers? Any idea if that's happened in this case?
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846

What an idiot. ALl that will do is persuade voters to rethink about ever using Ryanair again.
    A shared dislike of Ryanair might be just the ticket to start reuniting leavers and remainers.
    Very true.
    rpjs said:

Nice background music.
    twitter.com/martyn_williams/status/971022544877703168

If I were Kim Jong-un I'd be saying to the southerners "with my nukes and your hi-tech industry we could CONQUER <clarkson pause> THE WORLD!"
    "....and on that - nuclear - bombshell...."

I was once deposed in London for a case in Boston. I was under no legal obligation to turn up and be deposed for a whole day, but did do anyway.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846

Who is the current leader of UKIP? Is there one?

Is there even a UKIP any more?
    rcs1000 said:

I was once deposed in London for a case in Boston. I was under no legal obligation to turn up and be deposed for a whole day, but did do anyway.
    That sounds like an exceedingly expensive form of S&M....
    rcs1000 said:

Thanks.
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/danielboffey/status/971127167299055619

Convenient leak.
    Scott_P said:
    Perhaps they are right, but given the EU has continually failed to understand us as they claim we do not understand them, I am skeptical that they have any particular insight into our politics.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    rcs1000 said:

Very disappointed that you were not one of the Goldman Four!

I guess that article is loaded against Goldman, but they do come across as complete shits.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,265

Isn't it American for "statement"?

Ishmael_Z said:

Cheers? Any idea if that's happened in this case?
    No idea really. It sounds from this as if an application is being made for an order from the English courts (which would make compliance non-voluntary) but it isn't clear:

http://dailycaller.com/2018/02/05/christopher-steele-dossier-lawsuit/
  • White House News Conference with Trump and Swedish PM just now

One correspondent asks 'To what do you owe North Korea's open ness to talk' - ME

And he says that steel tariffs are to be applied but he is in talks with Canada and Mexico and hopes that a deal will be struck to exempt them, but not China or the EU.

He also went on to say the US has an 800 billion trade deficit and if the EU want to apply reciprocal tariffs he will apply a 45% tariff to all their cars coming into the US.

He seems absolutely committed to a trade war but will exempt Countries who he can do a fair bi- lateral trade deal with

No, because the person making the deposition can be cross-examined by the other side; in England you can only do that at trial, not in advance of it. I think.
    edited March 2018
    Scott_P said:

How would they know?

And more importantly why does the UK media take every single pronouncement from the EU has though it was being handed down to Moses on tablets of stone?
  • GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

How would they know?

And more importantly why does the UK media take every single pronouncement from the EU has though it was being handed down to Moses on tablets of stone?
    The EU, Guardian, BBC and the elite both here and in Europe are putting leaving the EU under sustained attack but they are not changing minds.

In the end TM cannot, nor will she, agree any payment to the EU that is not a fair deal or more specifically is sedn as fair by the average voter outside the London political and media bubble
  • FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Tomorrow we get the EU guidelines on negotiating a trade deal with the UK.

Great moment for the German car manufacturers to step in as promised and pave the way for a bespoke Canada +++ deal. Frictionless trade and freedom from Brussels external tariffs.
    "The easiest trade deal in history".
    Can't wait....
  • Freggles said:

Great moment for the German car manufacturers to step in as promised and pave the way for a bespoke Canada +++ deal. Frictionless trade and freedom from Brussels external tariffs.
    Can't wait....

Tonights direct threat by Trump to the EU of 45% tariffs on EU car imports are far more of a problem for them. He said that their trade deficit is so bad they can see out a trade war with the EU
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

Anyone working on assumptions that Donald Trump may deteriorate in his late 70s should note that by many reports he doesn't drink or smoke (or drink tea or coffee). He seems far too self-absorbed to appreciate that the job of president might have some stresses.

Apparently, even abstemious people age.

They don’t live longer - it just seems that way
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

White House News Conference with Trump and Swedish PM just now

One correspondent asks 'To what do you owe North Korea's open ness to talk' - ME

And he says that steel tariffs are to be applied but he is in talks with Canada and Mexico and hopes that a deal will be struck to exempt them, but not China or the EU.

He also went on to say the US has an 800 billion trade deficit and if the EU want to apply reciprocal tariffs he will apply a 45% tariff to all their cars coming into the US.

He seems absolutely committed to a trade war but will exempt Countries who he can do a fair bi- lateral trade deal with

The thing is, as the USA you probably can afford a trade war and it might well help you domestically by rallying the patriotic behind you. But why do China and the EU at the same time? You only need one enemy. And by taking on both simultaneously you risk more damage for no more benefit.
  • White House News Conference with Trump and Swedish PM just now

The thing is, as the USA you probably can afford a trade war and it might well help you domestically by rallying the patriotic behind you. But why do China and the EU at the same time? You only need one enemy. And by taking on both simultaneously you risk more damage for no more benefit.
    But this is Trump
    edited March 2018
    Here we go again....

Violence breaks out as protesters storm King’s College London event featuring controversial YouTuber

Police are investigating after masked activists reportedly assaulted security guards as they barged into the university building, smashed windows, hurled smoke bombs and set off a fire alarm.

Masked activists dressed in black broke into a room on Monday evening where King’s College Libertarian Society was hosting an panel event with guest speakers Carl Benjamin and Dr Yaron Brook.

Benjamin, who uses the pseudonym Sargon of Akkad for his YouTube channel, is known for his anti-feminist and anti-progressive views

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/03/06/violence-breaks-self-proclaimed-antifascists-shut-alt-right/

I haven't watched any of his videos, but in the long form interview he did with Dave Rubin he described himself as a classical libertarian and while a bit odd, but didn't seem massively unhinged evil boogie man that was a massive danger to society nor any of the Milo-esque antics. He just sat there and banged on about Greek philosophers etc.

Freggles said:

Can't wait....

Tonights direct threat by Trump to the EU of 45% tariffs on EU car imports are far more of a problem for them. He said that their trade deficit is so bad they can see out a trade war with the EU
    As we are in the EU until the end of Trumps first term, it is not a problem for "them" it is a problem for "us".
  • TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    As I understand this that now means that Mourinho is helping Russia spread anti Western propaganda.

Yes it may just appear like a conversation about football but in actual fact the real meaning will be the glory of Russia as compared with flawed Western democracies!

• Foxy said:

Freggles said:

Can't wait....

As we are in the EU until the end of Trumps first term, it is not a problem for "them" it is a problem for "us".
    Of course it is
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535

As I understand this that now means that Mourinho is helping Russia spread anti Western propaganda.

Yes it may just appear like a conversation about football but in actual fact the real meaning will be the glory of Russia as compared with flawed Western democracies!

In a sense anyone who appears on RT helps make the station more attractive to viewers. So even if you are only talking about crochet, you are indirectly assisting them in spreading propaganda. Sensible people should stay well away from the station.

Foxy said:

Freggles said:

Can't wait....

Of course it is
    Transition ends 31 Dec 2020, until then SM rules apply, Trump ends his first term in Jan 2021.

Unless we Brexit without a transition period in a years time.
  • TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    edited March 2018

I haven't watched any of his videos, but in the long form interview he did with Dave Rubin he described himself as a classical libertarian and while a bit odd, but didn't seem massively unhinged evil boogie man that was a massive danger to society nor any of the Milo-esque antics. He just sat there and banged on about Greek philosophers etc.

I've actually watched/listened to a very small amount of his stuff, I think the accusation against him is that he's alt right. He does somewhat give off that impression, maybe it is mainly the anti feminist anti progressive stuff but he does seem to get along with some stuff you get from the alt right perspective. Never was fully convinced he is alt right either though, quite frankly it was just a lot of whining so I never watched much.

Edit: I think he has actually denied being alt right himself.
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

Here we go again....

Violence breaks out as protesters storm King’s College London event featuring controversial YouTuber

Police are investigating after masked activists reportedly assaulted security guards as they barged into the university building, smashed windows, hurled smoke bombs and set off a fire alarm.

Masked activists dressed in black broke into a room on Monday evening where King’s College Libertarian Society was hosting an panel event with guest speakers Carl Benjamin and Dr Yaron Brook.

Benjamin, who uses the pseudonym Sargon of Akkad for his YouTube channel, is known for his anti-feminist and anti-progressive views

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/03/06/violence-breaks-self-proclaimed-antifascists-shut-alt-right/

I suppose it’s useful to know that KCL is not a university worthy of the name.

Safe space marshals? God help us.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    Ishmael_Z said:

No, because the person making the deposition can be cross-examined by the other side; in England you can only do that at trial, not in advance of it. I think.
    In civil litigation you would not expect a proper examination in chief (i.e. by your on side) in any proceedings, merely to file and then affirm a witness statement. In criminal litigation, you would expect both an examination in chief and corss examination but only in a courtroom; indeed the whole point of a cross examination is to present the Court with the witness live so that their responses to the questions can be gauged.

The concept of the disposition is therefore alien, and I have no idea whether Steele can be compelled here. My gut instinct says that the US would require a UK court order, some sort of mandatory injunction, but would be likely to get tone.
    RoyalBlue said:

Here we go again....

Trump has a saying for this...SADDDDDDDDDDDD....
  • brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    glw said:

In a sense anyone who appears on RT helps make the station more attractive to viewers. So even if you are only talking about crochet, you are indirectly assisting them in spreading propaganda. Sensible people should stay well away from the station.
    And of course there is no attempt at propaganda pushing by other tv news channels. I suppose at least with RT there is no pretence about it.

One person's propaganda is another person's truth - so it's always best to be a little sceptical whatever you watch. CNN doesn't like Trump - Fox is more supportive. Sky news doesn't seem too keen on being positive about Brexit.
    RoyalBlue said:

Here we go again....

Stupid twats have a Libertarian soc too...
    brendan16 said:

And of course there is no attempt at propaganda pushing by other tv news channels. I suppose at least with RT there is no pretence about it.

One person's propaganda is another person's truth - so it's always best to be a little sceptical whatever you watch. CNN doesn't like Trump - Fox is more supportive. Sky news doesn't seem too keen on being positive about Brexit.

This sort of false equivalence crap is just what the Russians want. You might want to ponder that before you make such arguments in future.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,584
    Member of the emergency services attending the Skripal incident apparently also in hospital...
    edited March 2018
    Scott_P said:
    Last one out please remember to turn off the lights...
  • Nigelb said:

Member of the emergency services attending the Skripal incident apparently also in hospital...

Paper reviewer suggesting the Times have said 10 emergency workers are ill

Nigelb said:

Wow. This is getting serious...

Nigelb said:

Zizzi's food is terrible ;-)
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

I've actually watched/listened to a very small amount of his stuff, I think the accusation against him is that he's alt right. He does somewhat give off that impression, maybe it is mainly the anti feminist anti progressive stuff but he does seem to get along with some stuff you get from the alt right perspective. Never was fully convinced he is alt right either though, quite frankly it was just a lot of whining so I never watched much.

He's a bit like that pub bore who has read a couple of library books and thinks he is a well informed intellectual. I can imagine someone jumping out the window to get away from him. Of course his rights to free speech should be protected.
  • GIN1138 said:

Nigelb said:

They are reported to be extending the exclusion zones. This is extremely worrying
    edited March 2018

GIN1138 said:

Nigelb said:

They are reported to be extending the exclusion zones. This is extremely worrying
    Wonder what on earth the poison was/is?
    GIN1138 said:

Nigelb said:

The Sun is now reporting that Thallium poisoning is suspected.

• I haven't watched any of his videos, but in the long form interview he did with Dave Rubin he described himself as a classical libertarian and while a bit odd, but didn't seem massively unhinged evil boogie man that was a massive danger to society nor any of the Milo-esque antics. He just sat there and banged on about Greek philosophers etc.

He's a bit like that pub bore who has read a couple of library books and thinks he is a well informed intellectual. I can imagine someone jumping out the window to get away from him. Of course his rights to free speech should be protected.
    If anyone is proven to have acted in a criminal way and they are a student they should be expelled from their course with no way back
  • ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516

Or, alternatively there is a difference between helping support their political narrative and football. Of course, you would not be the first Jezza cultist too blinkered to grasp an argument.
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921

Scott_P said:
    Last one out please remember to turn off the lights...
    Honestly thought that was Claude from the apprentice initially!
    glw said:

GIN1138 said:

Nigelb said:

The Sun is now reporting that Thallium poisoning is suspected.
    Would that affect people attending the scene though?
This discussion has been closed.