Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » For all TMay’s travails she continues to have a clear lead ove

Comments

• NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575
    glw said:

GIN1138 said:

Nigelb said:

Member of the emergency services attending the Skripal incident apparently also in hospital...

Paper reviewer suggesting the Times have said 10 emergency workers are ill
    Wow. This is getting serious...
    The Sun is now reporting that Thallium poisoning is suspected.
    Seems a bit unlikely, as the authorities would surely have identified that much sooner - and if it's true that several emergency services personnel are also affected, even more unlikely.
  • Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    How that many emergency workers could be ill is surprising unless a) some got it from the victims clothes and skin or b) the weapon used was a delivered via spray which leaves contact droplets in the vicinity or c) its, remarkably, unrelated

There is a lot of focus on the restaurant yet, as far as I can tell, no one else there has been reported as ill. Perhaps then the attack happened outside the place.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

GIN1138 said:

Nigelb said:

Member of the emergency services attending the Skripal incident apparently also in hospital...

They are reported to be extending the exclusion zones. This is extremely worrying
    How's this any different to a terrorist incident?

COBRA should be called etc
  • ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

How would they know?

And more importantly why does the UK media take every single pronouncement from the EU has though it was being handed down to Moses on tablets of stone?
    Because they aren't interested in objective or impartial analysis, but focused on creating an anti-Brexit narrative with whatever sources they can find.
    And of course Steele is also, quite absurdly, being sued for libel in the U.K., which seems to me more an intent to cost him massive legal fees than actually win.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

How would they know?

And more importantly why does the UK media take every single pronouncement from the EU has though it was being handed down to Moses on tablets of stone?
    Because they have the same attitude to the EU that Williamglenn does. Unquestioning, blind, idiotic loyalty.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697
    edited March 2018
    Y0kel said:

. Perhaps then the attack happened outside the place.

That's what I've been thinking.
  • GIN1138 said:

Nigelb said:

They are reported to be extending the exclusion zones. This is extremely worrying

Reports MI5 are now involved as well as the Home Secretary
    Y0kel said:

How that many emergency workers could be ill is surprising unless a) some got it from the victims clothes and skin or b) the weapon used was a delivered via spray which leaves contact droplets in the vicinity or c) its, remarkably, unrelated

There is a lot of focus on the restaurant yet, as far as I can tell, no one else there has been reported as ill. Perhaps then the attack happened outside the place.

The UK is paying the price for a soft reaction to the Litvinenko killing. The Russians took the lesson from that they could literally get away with murder on the streets of the UK.
    Elliot said:

Y0kel said:

The UK is paying the price for a soft reaction to the Litvinenko killing. The Russians took the lesson from that they could literally get away with murder on the streets of the UK.
    The West is paying a price for being soft on the current Russian government.
    glw said:

brendan16 said:

And of course there is no attempt at propaganda pushing by other tv news channels. I suppose at least with RT there is no pretence about it.

One person's propaganda is another person's truth - so it's always best to be a little sceptical whatever you watch. CNN doesn't like Trump - Fox is more supportive. Sky news doesn't seem too keen on being positive about Brexit.

This sort of false equivalence crap is just what the Russians want. You might want to ponder that before you make such arguments in future.
    Extremists on right and left love false equivalence. It allows them to shrug off any behaviour by their man as you can always find something the other side has done wrong that is vaguely relatable. They also love to argue there is no such thing as objective truth. It means they can always make up their own truth that is just as legitimate.
  • TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    Elliot said:

As I understand this that now means that Mourinho is helping Russia spread anti Western propaganda.

Yes it may just appear like a conversation about football but in actual fact the real meaning will be the glory of Russia as compared with flawed Western democracies!

Or, alternatively there is a difference between helping support their political narrative and football. Of course, you would not be the first Jezza cultist too blinkered to grasp an argument.
    Yes the interview I watched Alan Johnson gave certainly left me feeling that Putin was a great leader and Russia the country of the future despite the fact he was talking about the Labour party, the recent election and Brexit...

Interesting that such a variety of politicians are actively compliant in this Russian secret propaganda spreading, that they mostly seem to manage secretly whilst appearing to talk about British politics.

Are you sure it is only a cult that doesn't see it... or perhaps only a cult that does?
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

GIN1138 said:

Nigelb said:

Cobra called for tomorrow I understand
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535
    edited March 2018
    Elliot said:

Extremists on right and left love false equivalence. It allows them to shrug off any behaviour by their man as you can always find something the other side has done wrong that is vaguely relatable. They also love to argue there is no such thing as objective truth. It means they can always make up their own truth that is just as legitimate.

I'm not even arguing that Sky, Fox, or CNN are any good, and they certainly have biases, but they are far removed from RT which is more or less the voice of the Kremlin. Anyone who appears on RT should be aware of that and think about whose interests they are ultimately serving.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    Y0kel said:

Elliot said:

Y0kel said:

Sabre rattling from the West just before the election is probably just what Putin wants. We should be patient.

Y0kel said:

Elliot said:

Y0kel said:

Sabre rattling from the West just before the election is probably just what Putin wants. We should be patient.
    Patient for what?
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

Y0kel said:

Elliot said:

Y0kel said:

That’s a good point. A week after, perhaps the RAF can be authorised to shoot down whatever elderly Tupolev the Russians send to probe U.K. airspace.
    Y0kel said:

Speculation the delivery agent could have been an aerosol

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/03/06/traitors-will-kick-bucket-vladimir-putin-swore-revenge-poisoned/

Now pressure to re investigate suspicious deaths of 14 people in past

re first responders

"Officials have said there is no danger to the wider public, but have warned emergency workers who attended the scene, to be wary if they develop itchy skin or eyes or suffer from breathing problems."

As I understand those symptoms were reported by a few people

Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

Nigelb said:

2 days after the attack?

Y0kel said:

Elliot said:

Y0kel said:

And then do what?

Elliot said:

As I understand this that now means that Mourinho is helping Russia spread anti Western propaganda.

Yes it may just appear like a conversation about football but in actual fact the real meaning will be the glory of Russia as compared with flawed Western democracies!

Or, alternatively there is a difference between helping support their political narrative and football. Of course, you would not be the first Jezza cultist too blinkered to grasp an argument.
    Yes the interview I watched Alan Johnson gave certainly left me feeling that Putin was a great leader and Russia the country of the future despite the fact he was talking about the Labour party, the recent election and Brexit...

Interesting that such a variety of politicians are actively compliant in this Russian secret propaganda spreading, that they mostly seem to manage secretly whilst appearing to talk about British politics.

Are you sure it is only a cult that doesn't see it... or perhaps only a cult that does?
    Like I said, you are too blinkered to grasp an argument. Russia's propaganda campaign actively pushed anti-police brutality anger in the USA to increase division in the Democratic Party to help a moron get elected president. They push a lot of narratives, including many inconsistent ones, to achieve their goals. They have moved on from the times of Soviet era thinking and are now a lot more sophisticated - as much as that might be a hard concept to understand for Corbynistas.

What has helped them is a lot of useful morons in the West who have their own axe to grind or who are happy to take a quick buck from a murderous regime.

Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

Nigelb said:

2 days after the attack?
    I read it in a US paper and now Sky repeated it
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408

Elliot said:

I've not seen any of RT's content but your logic appears to be 'a piece I saw on it didn't seem like propaganda about the Russian state, therefore the overall nature of the channel must be fine' which seems flimsy to me. Surely it cannot be the case that a channel would have to be a literal 24 hour stream of images or Russian tanks set to patriotic music for it to be a more odious outlet than, for example, Sky?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408

Y0kel said:

Elliot said:

Y0kel said:

Given the certainty of his re-election I don't really see how sabre rattling, whether it be a generally good idea or not, would be on his list of wants - he already has what he wants.
    Floater said:

Y0kel said:

Elliot said:

Y0kel said:

And then do what?
    Nothing. Boris Johnson is the real villain.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    The Cup Trust reported donations of £176 million in 2010 — this was more than the RSPB, British Heart Foundation or the Salvation Army — but it gave only £150,000 to good causes. Instead it carried out trades to artificially generate gift aid claims that could be used by donors to reduce their tax bills.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sir-bradley-wiggins-put-money-into-shocking-tax-avoidance-plan-8bljpsxkt?shareToken=f5f20c7db28aa68874c2d4878d481a32
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    The Sun really are scum. Someone is fighting for his life and their response is to run the jokey headline “What’s your poison?”. There is a time and a place and this isn’t it.
    Ginger Nut in the cricket giving it some welly.
    Elliot said:

Floater said:

Y0kel said:

Elliot said:

Y0kel said:

And then do what?
    Are you serious? A man, his daughter and many first responders are sick and could die and the real villain is one of our politicians?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,960

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

How would they know?

Because they have the same attitude to the EU that Williamglenn does. Unquestioning, blind, idiotic loyalty.
    And because they get handed the story on a plate from a) within the EU or b) as a leak from our Civil Service. There's probably an understanding that if they want more to follow, they report it verbatim...
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    I'm bewildered by the media's suggestion that Boris gaffed today. Surely if it turns out that the Russian state has once again been trying to murder people on British soil, and endangering not only the targets but NHS staff as well, it's hardly a gaffe or an over-reaction to suggest that the UK might pull out of some football games in response?

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

How would they know?

And because they get handed the story on a plate from a) within the EU or b) as a leak from our Civil Service. There's probably an understanding that if they want more to follow, they report it verbatim...
    They received, by whatever means, a leaked document which was newsworthy. And reported it.
    Not seeing much of a conspiracy here.

Y0kel said:

Elliot said:

Y0kel said:

Putin is a schemer but he's not that much of a schemer. He will win the election whatever because he will rig it if he needs to.

Make his regime pay a price.
    Floater said:

Y0kel said:

Speculation the delivery agent could have been an aerosol

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/03/06/traitors-will-kick-bucket-vladimir-putin-swore-revenge-poisoned/

Now pressure to re investigate suspicious deaths of 14 people in past

re first responders

"Officials have said there is no danger to the wider public, but have warned emergency workers who attended the scene, to be wary if they develop itchy skin or eyes or suffer from breathing problems."

As I understand those symptoms were reported by a few people

It would make sense, the Soviets were very in depth in their aerosol research and that carried over. Its also quite a blunt rather than precise delivery for personal assassination but that never much bothered Moscow. Just like they never much had confidence in the shooting ability of a conscript the Russians don't have a lot of confidence in their contractors.

If you look at this case, it appears a very rapid onset if the assumption is that the delivery was in the minutes before or when they were on the bench. Concentration therefore was reasonably high.

Someone needs to look carefully into the daughter. She is a key component in the track of the target.
    Elliot said:

Floater said:

Y0kel said:

Elliot said:

Y0kel said:

And then do what?
    You sir are a prize cretin
    edited March 2018
    kle4 said:

Elliot said:

I've not seen any of RT's content but your logic appears to be 'a piece I saw on it didn't seem like propaganda about the Russian state, therefore the overall nature of the channel must be fine' which seems flimsy to me. Surely it cannot be the case that a channel would have to be a literal 24 hour stream of images or Russian tanks set to patriotic music for it to be a more odious outlet than, for example, Sky?
    The argument traces back to one about the politicians (or in this case football manager) who go on there being guilty of this not the channel itself. I have only watched a few programmes on there, all British politicians or political type people talking about British politics. The rest of the channel could be lots of propaganda for all I know, the small bits I have seen of presenters does seem to be them doing that over the top pronunciation of words with dramatic music I associate with some of the lesser quality American news channels but I haven't really watched much of the news content.

I wouldn't say it was worse than sky, although I haven't watched enough of either my complete guess would be sky is better overall, I don't tend to get much of my events news from TV I usually watch TV (in relation to politics) for interviews and discussion.

The Russian tanks set to patriotic music does sound quite entertaining, not going to lie....
  • oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

I'm bewildered by the media's suggestion that Boris gaffed today. Surely if it turns out that the Russian state has once again been trying to murder people on British soil, and endangering not only the targets but NHS staff as well, it's hardly a gaffe or an over-reaction to suggest that the UK might pull out of some football games in response?

The UK should be demanding that FIFA take the World Cup away from Russia not just threatening a boycott. Us missing out is not a strong enough message. The world community needs to stand up and demand that the World Cup be moved or NO-ONE will turn up.
  • Megan Merkle announces a £400,000 wedding dress the day after they have been talking about doing good works with the dispossessed.

You could not make this up

Not particularly a gaffe, although it might have been sensible to wait until we actually know what happened. And then respond proportionately, which probably will require rather more than non attendance at some tedious football game.

I am more disturbed by the apparent inadequate investigation of other suspicious deaths. Allowing Russian state thugs to murder with impunity in the UK isn't acceptable.

• SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,879

The UK is not playing in the World Cup in Russia.

• FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069

Megan Merkle announces a £400,000 wedding dress the day after they have been talking about doing good works with the dispossessed.

I think she has enough money to do both, as indeed have other Royals.

• CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540

It was later clarified by civil servants (which very much appears to be SOP) that he meant 'politicians and officials'......

Megan Merkle announces a £400,000 wedding dress the day after they have been talking about doing good works with the dispossessed.

Not quite fair. Someone has speculated that the cost of the dress and associated hair and beauty will cost that amount. There is no evidence to support that speculation. But the Mail just ran with it.

There seems to be no claim that she would be using anything other than her own money to fund such an expense. And whilst it would be an extravagance, it is up to her what she spends her own money on.
    edited March 2018

It was later clarified by civil servants (which very much appears to be SOP) that he meant 'politicians and officials'......
    I think Southam is pointing out that it is an England team, Wales, Scotland and NI are not represented.
  • Foxy said:

It is not the point - just excess from the elite who virtual signal their caring.

Figures from the US tonight show the Oscars had their poorest viewing figures as people tire of their non stop excess and lecturing

The UK should be demanding that FIFA take the World Cup away from Russia not just threatening a boycott. Us missing out is not a strong enough message. The world community needs to stand up and demand that the World Cup be moved or NO-ONE will turn up.
    But that would require FIFA officials to give their bribes back.
    Foxy said:

Freggles said:

Tomorrow we get the EU guidelines on negotiating a trade deal with the UK.

Great moment for the German car manufacturers to step in as promised and pave the way for a bespoke Canada +++ deal. Frictionless trade and freedom from Brussels external tariffs.
    "The easiest trade deal in history".
    Can't wait....

Tonights direct threat by Trump to the EU of 45% tariffs on EU car imports are far more of a problem for them. He said that their trade deficit is so bad they can see out a trade war with the EU
    As we are in the EU until the end of Trumps first term, it is not a problem for "them" it is a problem for "us".

Trump’s world view and policies are immensely damaging to UK interests.

No, but one of its teams is.
  • Foxy said:

Freggles said:

Great moment for the German car manufacturers to step in as promised and pave the way for a bespoke Canada +++ deal. Frictionless trade and freedom from Brussels external tariffs.
    Can't wait....

Tonights direct threat by Trump to the EU of 45% tariffs on EU car imports are far more of a problem for them. He said that their trade deficit is so bad they can see out a trade war with the EU
    As we are in the EU until the end of Trumps first term, it is not a problem for "them" it is a problem for "us".

Everyones to be correct but his

But that would require FIFA officials to give their bribes back.
    Oh dear, what a shame, never mind.
    Nigelb said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

How would they know?

They received, by whatever means, a leaked document which was newsworthy. And reported it.
    It's the pattern you aren't seeing. Because you aren't wanting to look, I presume.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535
    edited March 2018
    I will be extremely worred if Mattis ever throws in the towel.

Foxy said:

It is not the point - just excess from the elite who virtual signal their caring.

Figures from the US tonight show the Oscars had their poorest viewing figures as people tire of their non stop excess and lecturing
    Yep, Diana did the same. Using her fame to dress well and highlight needy causes. Twas every so.

That snowflake Duke of Edinburgh does it too, with the WWF.

Elliot said:

Floater said:

Y0kel said:

Elliot said:

Y0kel said:

And then do what?
    Are you serious? A man, his daughter and many first responders are sick and could die and the real villain is one of our politicians?
    Apparently a few people on here are unable to pick up on satire.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Yep, Diana did the same. Using her fame to dress well and highlight needy causes. Twas every so.

The Duke of Edinburgh spends £400K on a dress? This trans fad really is getting out of hand.
  • Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Floater said:

Y0kel said:

Elliot said:

Y0kel said:

And then do what?
    There are times when satire is inappropriate

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Floater said:

Y0kel said:

Elliot said:

Y0kel said:

And then do what?
    There are times when satire is inappropriate
    Charlie Chaplin satirised Hitler during World War 2. There's almosr always a place for it.
  • RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359
    edited March 2018

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

The Duke of Edinburgh spends £400K on a dress? This trans fad really is getting out of hand.
    You can't go off the peg with her build.

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I think he splashes his cash elsewhere.

Meghan Merkle is not short of a bob, and it was earned overseas, so spending it on a UK wedding helps the balance of payments. A woman is allowed to try to make her day special.

• TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Well well well,,.

https://reaction.life/martin-selmayr-scandal-threatens-engulf-european-commission/

This matters on a practical as well as an ethical level. The European Commission is in conflict with states such as Poland and Hungary over their breaches of EU rules. Why should they listen to the Commission now? They won’t.

I know this all runs contrary to the prevailing narrative in London, that a brilliantly organised, sophisticated and united EU makes the British negotiating team look characters from a lost episode of Fawlty Towers. But there you are.

Foxy said:

Freggles said:

Can't wait....

It still amazes me that folk who were furious about Barack Obama correctly observing a trade deal with the UK would not be a US priority are far less angry about the actions of a US president that do immense and direct harm to us. No American president in living memory has actively pursued measures more damaging to the UK than Donald Trump.

• Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Meghan Merkle is not short of a bob, and it was earned overseas, so spending it on a UK wedding helps the balance of payments. A woman is allowed to try to make her day special.

How do you know it is a UK designer and £400,000 is just pure extravagance
    As a left winger it sort of annoys me when people go on about these excessive amounts of money in relation to the wedding dress and such, mainly because those complaining are usually right wing media or people to the right of me!

The whole capitalist system we have created and live in supports a small section of people amassing huge amounts of money, unless we wish to radically alter this then there are going to be people spending amounts on luxuries or a single day that other people take half their lives to acquire.

If you actually want rich people to support poor people more you would have to tax them more, which of course is difficult to do because of the competition between countries.

Nigelb said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

How would they know?

It's the pattern you aren't seeing. Because you aren't wanting to look, I presume.
    No doubt sections if the media are Brexit sceptics. So what ?
    The "handed down to Moses in tablets of stone" comment was absurd hyperbole.

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

So what?

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

It is extravagence. But it’s her money. Why’s it a problem?

• AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Foxy said:

Meghan Merkle is not short of a bob .....

Indeed - a star in a long running US TV series cashes in very nicely indeed. A quick google says she's on 50k per episode, and there have been 100ish of those.
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

As a left winger it sort of annoys me when people go on about these excessive amounts of money in relation to the wedding dress and such, mainly because those complaining are usually right wing media or people to the right of me!

The whole capitalist system we have created and live in supports a small section of people amassing huge amounts of money, unless we wish to radically alter this then there are going to be people spending amounts on luxuries or a single day that other people take half their lives to acquire.

If you actually want rich people to support poor people more you would have to tax them more, which of course is difficult to do because of the competition between countries.

Or get them to spend more. That can be redistributive

Foxy said:

Freggles said:

Can't wait....

It still amazes me that folk who were furious about Barack Obama correctly observing a trade deal with the UK would not be a US priority are far less angry about the actions of a US president that do immense and direct harm to us. No American president in living memory has actively pursued measures more damaging to the UK than Donald Trump.

Well, I for one have stated that this is a really bad move

But as for "not a priority" - what he actually said was "back of the queue - something different altogether

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

It is extravagence. But it’s her money. Why’s it a problem?

I'd object if it was our money but she's worked for a living and if she can't be extravagant on her wedding day when can she?

If we are to have Royals, then they should be expected to live in some style.

She seems a lovely young woman and they make a smashing couple. I wish them every happiness.
    edited March 2018
    philiph said:

Well that is the problem, at least in this case with the dress, if their business people they can reinvest in their business which is good for everyone (generally) but ultimately unless their business is going to grow eternally someone will be spending all that money and many don't own businesses or don't reinvest to that level.

Which means the best way they can support the economy is by spending their money excessively and drawing complaints, which leads back to my original point. It seems to me to be an inevitable conclusion of a system we support yet we complain about the result.

Edit: In case this isn't coming across my complaint is more about the complaints, it is much the same argument I would make to people complaining about footballers wages, my one conservative minded friend as an example. Sort of complain about the system if it is a problem, not the inevitable result.
    philiph said:

Indeed something people forget when the rich spend their money is they no longer have their money - someone else does now. It's the trickle-down effect actually in action. It's when the rich stockpile money without spending it that trickle-down doesn't happen - spending it is a necessary part of the cycle to get the money away from the rich and to other people.

The rich can only spend those vast sums they have if they are extravagant from time to time. But then that goes to fund somebody else's livelihood and no doubt there'll be VAT etc on that dress.
    edited March 2018
    TGOHF said:

Well well well,,.

https://reaction.life/martin-selmayr-scandal-threatens-engulf-european-commission/

This matters on a practical as well as an ethical level. The European Commission is in conflict with states such as Poland and Hungary over their breaches of EU rules. Why should they listen to the Commission now? They won’t.

I know this all runs contrary to the prevailing narrative in London, that a brilliantly organised, sophisticated and united EU makes the British negotiating team look characters from a lost episode of Fawlty Towers. But there you are.

Good for Martin to recognise the Liberation journalist Quatremer who has been pursuing this fearlessly. Even with us leaving this is deeply worrying.

Guess who is Selmayr's pick for Druncker's replacement? Barnier.....

And it continues:

https://twitter.com/quatremer/status/971171200637562881

Another grown up has left the building.....

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

How do you know it's £400,000 ?
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

If it was then presumably £66,666.66 of that has gone to the Treasury in VAT. That dress has funded two teachers salaries.
    edited March 2018
    Should be some explosive batting in the last 10-15 overs in the cricket.

400 definite possibility if Buttler eventually gets a bat and is his day.
    Even the FT has noticed Selmeyrgate:

The appointment of the secretary-general of the European Commission is rarely an exciting affair. But when Martin Selmayr, chief of staff to commission president Jean-Claude Juncker, was rapidly elevated to the position of the institution’s top civil servant two weeks ago, Brussels and policy circles in the wider EU were taken aback.

Since he helped to orchestrate the catapulting of Mr Juncker into the presidency in 2014 against the odds, Mr Selmayr has amassed influence inside the Brussels machine. His power is likely to grow in his new post. The commission and the wider EU should examine whether concentrating such power in one person through bureaucratic backroom dealing is healthy.

https://www.ft.com/content/e27b414e-2134-11e8-a895-1ba1f72c2c11

Should be some explosive batting in the last 10-15 overs in the cricket.

400 definite possibility if Buttler eventually gets a bat and is his day.

You had to say it ...
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,774

Freggles said:

Can't wait....

Trump fundamentally misunderstands trade deficits.

If he were to put 45% tariffs on all European cars, then every Porsche, Ferrari, and Lambourghini dealership in the US would see substantially reduced volumes. (Although, of course, if you're splashing $275,000 on a new Huracan Spyder, then maybe the shift in price to $350,000 won't make a big difference.) And, it goes without saying, it's not like there are many US supercars that would benefit from the supply of European cars being choked off.

Total German car exports to the US are $20bn. And $7bn of US cars go the other way. So, there's only $13bn of net imports to tax. A lot? Sure, but not that much in the scale of things. (Not least, of course, because most of the VWs sold in the US are made in the US.)

But, again, this is to fundamentally misunderstand what causes a trade deficit. The Americans have a trade deficit because they spend too much and save too little. A trade deficit is best described as the difference between what your country makes and what it consumes.

You can't stop a trade deficit by attempting to raise the cost of imports. Or rather, it only works to the extent that it decreases aggregate demand.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    Trump thinks VAT is an import tax...

It sort of is.
    Well, there's a surprise:

The EU has dismissed Theresa May’s Brexit speech as being more about Conservative party management than putting forward sensible solutions on trade, according to an internal document leaked to the Guardian.

The Brussels analysis of the prime minister’s address, issued to representatives of all 27 member states, described her intervention as “a change in tone, but not in substance”, warning that all the UK’s red lines remained.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/mar/06/theresa-may-conservative-politics-brexit-solutions-leaked-eu-report?CMP=share_btn_tw

That's what happens when you try to negotiate with a religion....

That's what both sides are thinking ....
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,774

It sort of is.
    How?

But only the UK side is having to confront 'politics' - the EU is insulated from that....so far....
  • swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    Labour's Summer 2017 analysis that one more push to oust the Tories is looking weak, TM will get through the May elections and Labour will remain in thrall to Momentum. Watching BBC QT the other day, leadership was a recurring theme which i think is an issue for both parties. Until there is a clear vision from either side, articulated by a man/woman who looks and sounds lilke a PM then we will see drift.

Labour need to work out what Corbyn's legacy should and will be, even if he fights 2021/22 I cannot see how he will spend another 4 years as PM
    Trouble at t'mill:

The backlash against Martin Selmayr’s appointment to the European Commission’s top civil service post turned into open warfare Monday, with journalists accusing senior officials of a cover up.

https://www.politico.eu/article/martin-selmayr-european-commission-appointment-vs-the-press/
  • brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited March 2018
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

The Daily Mail says so - although in fact the story says it is '£400k spent on beauty and fashion for the big day with the bulk of this spent on her dress'!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-5468257/Meghan-Markle-wedding-dress-rumoured-cost-400k.html

What I find odd is why the designer doesn't do it for free - it's a free ad and they can charge £400k many more times over as everyone will want Meghans dress for their wedding.

But how on earth can one dress cost £400,000? It's the Royal family - so not entirely a private matter - and it just looks highly wasteful.

They are only going to spend £120,000 on the honeymoon though - a bargain!
    Speaking in Brussels today, Mr O'Leary said he wants to 'create an opportunity' by making people realise they are 'no longer going to have cheap holidays'.

He told an audience of airline leaders: 'I think it's in our interests - not for a long period of time - that the aircraft are grounded.

Carsten Spohr, the boss of German carrier Lufthansa, backed the threat, saying: 'In theory, if we could use this industry to prove to the British how wrong the decision was, that might be a good thing.'

EasyJet chief executive Johan Lundgren, who was on stage alongside Mr O'Leary, interrupted him to say: 'If you start grounding your planes, I'm flying.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5469581/Ryanair-boss-Michael-OLeary-threatens-ground-planes-post-Brexit.html#ixzz591b9WcpZ
    rcs1000 said:

It sort of is.
    How?
    Anything imported gets whacked with the full rate of VAT when it gets sold here.
    Anything exported gets no VAT when its exported.

It's a tax that is applied to imports but not to exports.

Of course it is a consumption tax that also hits domestic production (exc exports) etc too and only loosely hits imports but that's why I said "sort of".
    brendan16 said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

The Daily Mail says so - although in fact the story says it is '£400k spent on beauty and fashion for the big day with the bulk of this spent on her dress'!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-5468257/Meghan-Markle-wedding-dress-rumoured-cost-400k.html

What I find odd is why the designer doesn't do it for free - it's a free ad and they can charge £400k many more times over as everyone will want Meghans dress for their wedding.

But how on earth can one dress cost £400,000? It's the Royal family - so not entirely a private matter - and it just looks highly wasteful.

They are only going to spend £120,000 on the honeymoon though - a bargain!
    Who says its the Royals paying for it? Miss Markle is independently wealthy having had a successful career and can afford her own dress.

But only the UK side is having to confront 'politics' - the EU is insulated from that....so far....
    Who are you trying to kid? Every side has politics to deal with.
This discussion has been closed.