Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Until leave’s referendum expenses issues are sorted opponents

Comments

• Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited March 2018
    AndyJS said:

No takers for a seat on Tiverton town council:

"Election for new Tiverton Town Council is delayed after no valid candidates come forward"
    https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/election-new-tiverton-town-council-1275669

Is there any legal fallback if no-one stood for election to any of the seats of a principal local authority? Would the incumbent councillors have their terms extended, or would Whitehall appoint commissioners?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926

As ever, reading the comments on that order-order article is a salutary experience.
    Even the wording on the article itself displays a jaw-dropping disregard of facts.

"... the electoral bias to Labour".

Which, of course, manifests itself in a 13 seat advantage to the Tories on equal vote shares of 42-42.

What?
    Corbyn would most likely be PM on equal vote shares though ;)
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

As ever, reading the comments on that order-order article is a salutary experience.
    Even the wording on the article itself displays a jaw-dropping disregard of facts.

Which, of course, manifests itself in a 13 seat advantage to the Tories on equal vote shares of 42-42.

What?
    That is an artefact of vote distribution and changes over time. The bias is because Labour's constituencies are, on average, smaller.

What a boundary review is supposed to do is approximately equalise constituency size. Everything else is electoral reform.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,816

What?
    That is an artefact of vote distribution and changes over time. The bias is because Labour's constituencies are, on average, smaller.

What a boundary review is supposed to do is approximately equalise constituency size. Everything else is electoral reform.
    Like changing the number of seats?
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

John_M said:

TOPPING said:

Parody expat Yoon reposts parody account tweeting about parody news prog.
    Marvellous stuff.
    Carlotta is a parody? That explains why she thought Bertie Ahern was the Irish PM at the time of Brexit before correcting it to “Edna” Kenny.
    Some would say that a Maybot loyalist who generously dispenses their Tory and Union and Brexit supporting wisdom while living abroad has to be a satirical construct, I couldn't possible comment.
    Carlotta is an exemplar of how to be a May-supporting Brexitomane with some degree of elegance and wit.

The ones I detest are those who sit there in their Union Jack boxer shorts, Land of Hope and Glory playing in the background, while shouting at the TV because all the programmes on it are in foreign.
    *guilty start*

*turns TV off*
    As far as I'm aware you live in this country. I was talking about those living abroad. Which also, amazingly, rules out HYUFD also.
    All of us are just people off of the internet and as such not of any interest in and of ourselves, no matter how mad our views.
    Nevertheless there is an amusing expat angle to some of our most fervent Brexiters.
    How many ? About two on here is it ?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/mirrorpolitics/status/971780710821453824

Is this a game of spot the love child? My pick is #4
  • Options

What?

That's part of the terms of reference for the review, and in principle the number of seats in single-member constituencies doesn't matter too much (except in extremis).

My concern about reducing the number of seats would be more to do with it increasing the relative proportion of parliamentarians who are also members of the Government.
  • Options
    HHemmeligHHemmelig Posts: 617
    TOPPING said:

Nevertheless there is an amusing expat angle to some of our most fervent Brexiters.

At times it is, as one poster here is fond of saying, completely unspoofable.

We have someone here fond of droning on about the islamification of Britain and the awfulness of muslim mayor Khan whilst choosing to live in Dubai.

One of our hardest of hard Brexit enthusiasts thinks he is entitled to go mad every time May gives a hint of compromise over Brexit, whilst sitting at home in Australia.

The site owner's son told us to vote Leave 'cos everything would be just great then promptly buggered off to live in California.

I could go on.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

John_M said:

TOPPING said:

Marvellous stuff.
    Carlotta is a parody? That explains why she thought Bertie Ahern was the Irish PM at the time of Brexit before correcting it to “Edna” Kenny.
    Some would say that a Maybot loyalist who generously dispenses their Tory and Union and Brexit supporting wisdom while living abroad has to be a satirical construct, I couldn't possible comment.
    Carlotta is an exemplar of how to be a May-supporting Brexitomane with some degree of elegance and wit.

The ones I detest are those who sit there in their Union Jack boxer shorts, Land of Hope and Glory playing in the background, while shouting at the TV because all the programmes on it are in foreign.
    *guilty start*

*turns TV off*
    As far as I'm aware you live in this country. I was talking about those living abroad. Which also, amazingly, rules out HYUFD also.
    All of us are just people off of the internet and as such not of any interest in and of ourselves, no matter how mad our views.
    At least 10 probably more.
  • Options
    HHemmelig said:

One of our hardest of hard Brexit enthusiasts thinks he is entitled to go mad every time May gives a hint of compromise over Brexit, whilst sitting at home in Australia.

I've worked out the others, but who is the Aussie :o ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HHemmelig said:

I've worked out the others, but who is the Aussie :o ?
    His name is something like archerau
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    HHemmelig said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

John_M said:

TOPPING said:

Marvellous stuff.

*guilty start*

*turns TV off*
    At least 10 probably more.
    Wow out of hundreds of leavers who come through this site.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,066
    *innocent face*
    I wonder why Sky have left the voting open on this after originally putting the deadline for Wednesday?

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/971778919702638592
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    edited March 2018
    HHemmelig said:

TOPPING said:

We have someone here fond of droning on about the islamification of Britain and the awfulness of muslim mayor Khan whilst choosing to live in Dubai.

The site owner's son told us to vote Leave 'cos everything would be just great then promptly buggered off to live in California.

I could go on.
    I would only add our dear friend Max who, having effed off to foreign climes to make his money (and good for him for doing so), is very very very very quick to name anyone anti-Brexit as a traitor.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,979

What?

That's part of the terms of reference for the review, and in principle the number of seats in single-member constituencies doesn't matter too much (except in extremis).

My concern about reducing the number of seats would be more to do with it increasing the relative proportion of parliamentarians who are also members of the Government.
    If Labour do manage to squeeze past, we will hear howls from our Tory friends about the proportion of seats which are held by the payroll vote!
  • Options

What?

If Labour do manage to squeeze past, we will hear howls from our Tory friends about the proportion of seats which are held by the payroll vote!
    Corbyn will oppose, but he might not mind too much..
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,273
    They really are mocking us: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-43330498

Not sure what we can do about it though.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,605
    HHemmelig said:

TOPPING said:

I could go on.
    I live in Yorkshire. That's foreign enough for a Geordie lad like me.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Does Brexit mean the Russians are:

a) more likely to fuck with us; or
    b) less likely to fuck with us?
  • Options

*innocent face*
    I wonder why Sky have left the voting open on this after originally putting the deadline for Wednesday?

The SNP bot operation makes the Russians look amateurish and ineffective.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Did alot of good in the Ukraine, the big bad EU did warn them off.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    TOPPING said:

More easily able, less value in doing so
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Given that this sort of thing happened before Brexit, I'm going to go with c) not much difference.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Litvinenko[sp] was assassinated in 2006. So, I'd say it makes sod all difference, and is a slightly daft thing to suggest.
  • Options
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Given that this sort of thing happened before Brexit, I'm going to go with c) not much difference.
    Yes I nearly added it as an option but then I thought that would be a classic case of underestimating your opponent.
  • Options

*innocent face*

twitter.com/SkyNews/status/971778919702638592

What an absurd pick!
  • Options
    houndtanghoundtang Posts: 450

March 296th
    We're never going to Leave ;-)

Well it could be one way to extend the transition period but still leave in 2019!
  • Options

What?

It will also significantly increase MPs' casework at a time when the population is growing quite fast. Though that will impact Labour MPs in poorer and inner city areas the hardest, it surely can't be that popular with Tories either.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    HHemmelig said:

TOPPING said:

I could go on.
    I think the horrible PB cliche is to put +1 under posts one likes.

For this I choose to +1,000,000

Other 'unspoofables' include:

A poster who endlessly opines (almost exclusively negatively) about London and 'the French' despite admitting that he has never visited said city or, indeed, France.

Mr Unspoofable himself who is only 30 years of age but lectures others in the tone and lexicon of a patronising great-grandfather.

A hardcore London-despising Brexiteer who promotes Mansfield as the visionary template for modern Britain.

A Tory Maybot neobrexiteer who chastises others for calling posters names before deriding pro-Europeans as Remainiacs in her very next post.

As you say, unspoofable.

• Options
    HHemmelig said:

What?

It will also significantly increase MPs' casework at a time when the population is growing quite fast. Though that will impact Labour MPs in poorer and inner city areas the hardest, it surely can't be that popular with Tories either.
    It's backdoor gerrymandering, pure and simple. There is simply no way the government would pursue it if it wasn't advantageous to them.
  • Options

Litvinenko[sp] was assassinated in 2006. So, I'd say it makes sod all difference, and is a slightly daft thing to suggest.

As I said, Morris, I pondered whether it would make no difference but thought that would be to take the Russians for idiots, which I'm sure we can all agree would be a schoolboy error.
  • Options
    Miss Anazina, is any of them supposed to be me?
  • Options
    Anazina said:

HHemmelig said:

What?

It's backdoor gerrymandering, pure and simple. There is simply no way the government would pursue it if it wasn't advantageous to them.
    Yes, the independent electoral commission are just stooges of the Tory party.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Anazina said:

HHemmelig said:

What?

Given that the government would not vote for it were it not deeply convenient for them, I do think you are being rather credulous.
  • Options

Miss Anazina, is any of them supposed to be me?

I didn't see any references to someone boasting about the size of their trebuchet, so I think you are in the clear.
  • Options
    Mr. D, it's my man cannon that impresses people. Well, and the trebuchets. And my castle. And the enormo-haddock. And the octo-lemur.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

RobD said:

Anazina said:

HHemmelig said:

What?

Given that the government would not vote for it were it not deeply convenient for them, I do think you are being rather credulous.
    As someone else said below, the current boundaries favour the Tories. More importantly, equalising the sizes of the constituencies is the right thing to do. Hard to imagine that the government might want to do something that is right, but there you go.
  • Options
    http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/boundaries2018.html

New parliamentary boundaries were revised in January 2018 by the Boundary Commission for Northern Ireland.

the Democratic Unionist Party has improved its position from the initial proposals.

Another 10 votes for the boundaries lol
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,979
    DavidL said:

To be fair, the comment about Boris J is appropriate.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    DavidL said:

If only Britain were a member of a large close and deep international grouping that could effectively take collective action.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, the Germans and French were less keen than us on sanctions, no?

Not to mention the fact that multi-lateral co-operation doesn't require the EU.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

HHemmelig said:

What?

The government should revert to a normal boundary review on the old rules with unchanged number of seats, which ought to nullify that impression and could command cross-party support.

The Tories are increasingly representing some quite poor seats these days which come with a lot of casework (you mentioned Mansfield yourself)...I doubt the new MPs in these kind of seats will relish the significant extra workload of taking on 10000 new voters.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

DavidL said:

If only Britain were a member of a large close and deep international grouping that could effectively take collective action.
    I'm not sure we were ever part of one
  • Options
    HHemmelig said:

Anazina said:

HHemmelig said:

What?

The government should revert to a normal boundary review on the old rules with unchanged number of seats, which ought to nullify that impression and could command cross-party support.

The Tories are increasingly representing some quite poor seats these days which come with a lot of casework (you mentioned Mansfield yourself)...I doubt the new MPs in these kind of seats will relish the significant extra workload of taking on 10000 new voters.
    He should be able to cope, nearby Bassetlaw stays identical in size.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,605

DavidL said:

Do you mean NATO or the UN?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,582
    HHemmelig said:

TOPPING said:

I could go on.
    To be fair, he did leave...
  • Options
    Anazina said:

HHemmelig said:

What?

Bollocks. Boundary reviews are a regular and necessary feature of the British political system. There is simply no way Labour & the Lib Dems wouldn't have blocked the Sixth Review if it wasn't advantageous to them.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,439
    Anazina said:

HHemmelig said:

What?

No it isn't. Others will know the rules better than me, but periodic reviews of the constituencies is just part of the rules. Labour tends to put it off because it tends not to favour them; the Conservatives tend to be keener because it tends to be in their favour. But it needs to be done - otherwise we would be awash with rotten boroughs.

Hard to be sure, but I really don't think it will favour the Conservatives as much as it has for most of the past 60 years - the population is growing most at the moment in Labour-leaning areas (i.e. cities).
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Some small fry have been suspended from Labour, but that Facebook group did include some MPs.

https://twitter.com/GdnPolitics/status/971794434470830080

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,582
    DavidL said:

Double the GCHQ budget and hack Putin's Swiss bank accounts...

Crash courses in Russian to set up our own troll farm... (or just use google translate)

Make this happen, and confiscate properties which don't comply...
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jan/17/theresa-may-set-timetable-reveal-foreign-owners-uk-property

Or just make fun of the psychotic little thug ?
  • Options
    HHemmelig said:

Anazina said:

HHemmelig said:

What?

I've just checked !

Mansfield is projected to lose some electorate in the review (3000 or so by the next election) so no need to worry about Ben Bradway's caseload.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,208
    Cookie said:

Anazina said:

HHemmelig said:

What?

No it isn't. Others will know the rules better than me, but periodic reviews of the constituencies is just part of the rules. Labour tends to put it off because it tends not to favour them; the Conservatives tend to be keener because it tends to be in their favour. But it needs to be done - otherwise we would be awash with rotten boroughs.

Hard to be sure, but I really don't think it will favour the Conservatives as much as it has for most of the past 60 years - the population is growing most at the moment in Labour-leaning areas (i.e. cities).
    For me the issue is the reduction in MPs. Plainly crazy and just feeds into the idea that MPs are just sitting around all day sponging off expenses, all the same etc etc. Reducing the number, reduces the gene pool for the executive. And frankly looking at the current Cabinet and Shadow Cabinet, things are pretty bad already.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

DavidL said:

Sir, sir the answer's NATO sir..
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057
    edited March 2018

DavidL said:

Various Russians took great interest in getting close to Johnson and Cameron in the past.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jul/23/boris-johnson-tennis-match-russian-chernukhin

Boris Johnson has indicated he could pull out of a tennis match that was bought at a Tory fundraising auction for £160,000 by the wife of a former minister in Vladimir Putin's government.

Electoral Commission records show that Chernukhin, a banker, was declared an "impermissible donor" in April 2012 when she attempted to give £10,000 to the Conservative party. Since then, however, she has made a three donations worth a total of £5,500, which have all been accepted.

The Conservatives have received substantial donations while in government from individuals and companies linked to Russia. Several Russians attended last year's fundraiser, including Putin's judo partner Vasily Shestakov, who has the job of improving Russia's reputation in the UK. He was introduced to Cameron.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited March 2018

Anazina said:

HHemmelig said:

What?

Bollocks. Boundary reviews are a regular and necessary feature of the British political system. There is simply no way Labour & the Lib Dems wouldn't have blocked the Sixth Review if it wasn't advantageous to them.
    It is backdoor gerrymandering and to understand how it works, you need to consider the two parts together. First, purge Labour-leaning voters from the registers (and here Cameron shot himself in the foot because it also meant removing Remain supporters) and then reduce the number of seats to force every single constituency to be calibrated based on the now Conservative-leaning registers (so Labour constituencies seem smaller).
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942

Anazina said:

HHemmelig said:

What?

It is backdoor gerrymandering and to understand how it works, you need to consider the two parts together. First, purge Labour-leaning voters from the registers (and here Cameron shot himself in the foot because it also meant removing Remain supporters) and then reduce the number of seats to force every single constituency to be calibrated based on the now Conservative-leaning registers (so Labour constituencies seem smaller).
    Proof that Labour leaning voters were purged?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    edited March 2018
    Anazina said:

HHemmelig said:

TOPPING said:

I could go on.
    I think the horrible PB cliche is to put +1 under posts one likes.

For this I choose to +1,000,000

Other 'unspoofables' include:

A poster who endlessly opines (almost exclusively negatively) about London and 'the French' despite admitting that he has never visited said city or, indeed, France.

Mr Unspoofable himself who is only 30 years of age but lectures others in the tone and lexicon of a patronising great-grandfather.

A hardcore London-despising Brexiteer who promotes Mansfield as the visionary template for modern Britain.

A Tory Maybot neobrexiteer who chastises others for calling posters names before deriding pro-Europeans as Remainiacs in her very next post.

As you say, unspoofable.

My favourite is the near-aristocrat whose every post includes a name drop or reference to first class air travel, but who claims to support Brexit on behalf of “the people”. Noblesse oblige, I guess.
  • Options

To their credit, Blair/Brown allowed the review of the boundaries for the 2010 election to come into force (eventually*) even though it benefitted the Tories and arguably prevented a "rainbow coalition" of Lab+LD+SNP from being viable in 2010.

It's coming to something when the Blair/Brown era seems like halcyon days of decency and bipartisanship.

*they did however block all but the Scottish bit from coming into force in time for the 2005 election

• Options
    DavidL said:

*innocent face*

It certainly annoyed the right people.

https://twitter.com/MrJohnNicolson/status/970956744103952385

Of course with that profile and all those numbers after her name, Ms joannem07254906 may be a bot herself.
  • Options
    Mr. Walker, if you want to have a pissing contest about how terribly 'umble we are, I suspect I'd win by a country mile due to my current less than wondrous circumstances. But, as it doesn't matter a jot when it comes to how well-reasoned or not an argument is, banging on about wealth to attempt to prove or disprove the value of a debating position is a vain endeavour.

Incidentally, I also asked Miss Anazina if any of those little descriptions were meant to apply to me. Maybe there was a reply, but I missed it, if so.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

What?

Electoral reform? Or gerrymandering on the basis of an old and incomplete register?
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    But, but, surely the EU have been adamant in decrying any suggestion that Brexit should result in any diminution of security co-operation? Or is that another thing that only works in one direction?

• Options
    Did the EU ever pitchin when we faced anything comparable in the past? I'm not saying we were treated with callous indifference - and appropriate friendly noises have always been made by our friends on the mainland - but this really seems to sit outwith any arguments relating to the EU.
  • Options
    I see fervent ad homs are flying around today. What has got up the noses of the PB Remainers?
  • Options
    Mr. Alex, it's cherry-picking. If we do it. If it relates to the EU wanting our fish, or anything else, it's part of the negotiation.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Anazina said:

HHemmelig said:

What?

For me the issue is the reduction in MPs. Plainly crazy and just feeds into the idea that MPs are just sitting around all day sponging off expenses, all the same etc etc. Reducing the number, reduces the gene pool for the executive. And frankly looking at the current Cabinet and Shadow Cabinet, things are pretty bad already.
    Isn't the UK parliament pretty large in comparison to its counterparts elsewhere in the world though? Though obviously the UK population is pretty large too.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

I see fervent ad homs are flying around today. What has got up the noses of the PB Remainers?

I'm not a fan of the ad hominems, as I have already made clear.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Well we are Alastair, and as usual its fuck all use.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I wonder why there's no feeling of solidarity towards Britain right now?
  • Options
    PClipp said:

What?

Electoral reform? Or gerrymandering on the basis of an old and incomplete register?
    The commission is using the most up to date register as of when it started its activities.
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Where was the EU backing for tough action after the Litvinenko murder? If I remember correctly, Germany was pursuing a policy of warming relations towards Moscow at that time.
  • Options

DavidL said:

*innocent face*

Of course with that profile and all those numbers after her name, Ms joannem07254906 may be a bot herself.
    A mildly intemperate response to a rigged voodoo poll, I will concede.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

The EU already has a series of sanctions against Russia. Presumably it is up to the U.K. to coordinate any response to this latest outrage.

However, we have Boris Johnson as FM.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    rpjs said:

AndyJS said:

"Election for new Tiverton Town Council is delayed after no valid candidates come forward"
    https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/election-new-tiverton-town-council-1275669

Is there any legal fallback if no-one stood for election to any of the seats of a principal local authority? Would the incumbent councillors have their terms extended, or would Whitehall appoint commissioners?
    Good question, I don't know.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

The usual stuff!
    But I think it started as a chain on how odd it was that so many Brexiters seem to post from abroad.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

AndyJS said:

Global thermonuclear war: the local election implications.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

DavidL said:

Various Russians took great interest in getting close to Johnson and Cameron in the past.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jul/23/boris-johnson-tennis-match-russian-chernukhin

Boris Johnson has indicated he could pull out of a tennis match that was bought at a Tory fundraising auction for £160,000 by the wife of a former minister in Vladimir Putin's government.

Electoral Commission records show that Chernukhin, a banker, was declared an "impermissible donor" in April 2012 when she attempted to give £10,000 to the Conservative party. Since then, however, she has made a three donations worth a total of £5,500, which have all been accepted.

The Conservatives have received substantial donations while in government from individuals and companies linked to Russia. Several Russians attended last year's fundraiser, including Putin's judo partner Vasily Shestakov, who has the job of improving Russia's reputation in the UK. He was introduced to Cameron.
    A wonderful story that spells out to all those who think the Tory Party under David Cameron modernised. Every nuance into why it's the same shoddy old institution with the same shoddy old values is in that article
  • Options
    Elliot said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Where was the EU backing for tough action after the Litvinenko murder? If I remember correctly, Germany was pursuing a policy of warming relations towards Moscow at that time.
    There is a pro-Russia on both the left (nostalgic ex-Commies) and right (see themselves as geopolitical realists) in German politics. They are a fringe, but in 2006 I think Germany was led by Schroeder who has ended up stooging for Russian business interests and discredited himself - he’s now regarded similarly to the way we sometimes think about Blair.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,990

DavidL said:

*innocent face*

Without meaning to attempt any doxxing, I'd reckon that her birthdate is 25th July 1996, and that 40 is a special number for her (house number, or perhaps her IQ).
  • Options

rpjs said:

AndyJS said:

Good thought. Waay more Labour seats are going to cease to exist.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,208
    AndyJS said:

rpjs said:

AndyJS said:

Good question, I don't know.
    iirc co-option happens at Parish council level.
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Double the GCHQ budget and hack Putin's Swiss bank accounts...

Crash courses in Russian to set up our own troll farm... (or just use google translate)

Make this happen, and confiscate properties which don't comply...
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jan/17/theresa-may-set-timetable-reveal-foreign-owners-uk-property

Or just make fun of the psychotic little thug ?
    Most Russian money goes via London. We could really hurt Russian interests by freezing assets and cutting off access to the City.

Of course, in the 21st Century, the power of the media narrative is a major part of influence. If the UK PM and FM regularly drew attention to terrible events in Russia, it could hurt Putin a lot. Bring up the wife-beating law, the lynchings of gay people, the ongoing Siberian gulags for political dissidents, embezzlement by Putin's allies etc.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

The usual stuff!
    But I think it started as a chain on how odd it was that so many Brexiters seem to post from abroad.
    :)

This Brexiteer has been posting from Deepest Dorset since, well, since I've been posting....
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

rpjs said:

AndyJS said:

:smile:
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599
    RobD said:

PClipp said:

What?

The commission is using the most up to date register as of when it started its activities.
    Bearing in mind that there are 4 years to the next GE, and new registrations were in 7 figures for the 2016 and 2017 votes, do you not think that these registrations should be included in any redrawing of boundaries? Or are some voters more equal than others?

How is it done where you live in California?
  • Options
    Are Arsenal losing yet?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

The usual stuff!
    :)

This Brexiteer has been posting from Deepest Dorset since, well, since I've been posting....
    I’m happy to put my hand up to dwelling in absolute deepest Remainia.

Although I’m currently relaxing in a remote pocket of the Weald. Idyllic.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

DavidL said:

*innocent face*

Without meaning to attempt any doxxing, I'd reckon that her birthdate is 25th July 1996, and that 40 is a special number for her (house number, or perhaps her IQ).
    An American bot?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

RobD said:

PClipp said:

What?

Bearing in mind that there are 4 years to the next GE, and new registrations were in 7 figures for the 2016 and 2017 votes, do you not think that these registrations should be included in any redrawing of boundaries? Or are some voters more equal than others?

Wasn't there an article suggesting most 'new' registrations are nothing of the kind, and that most who 'register to vote' near an election are already registered to vote....?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,204

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

The EU already has a series of sanctions against Russia. Presumably it is up to the U.K. to coordinate any response to this latest outrage.

However, we have Boris Johnson as FM.
    Surely he's FS, not FM.

Although I think most people go, 'Boris is FS-FFS!'
  • Options

DavidL said:

*innocent face*

Odd that an English woman would use the American format of mm/dd, but I may be overthinking it.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

RobD said:

PClipp said:

What?

I believe it is correct that the commission use the latest register. Which I believe they did at the commencement of the review.
  • Options
    RobD said:

DavidL said:

*innocent face*

An American bot?
    Well, if she was a techie she'd have used the one true date fiomat:

Or is she was really geeky:
    2450289.5 (extra points for anyone who knows what that is)
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,203
    Roger said:

DavidL said:

A wonderful story that spells out to all those who think the Tory Party under David Cameron modernised. Every nuance into why it's the same shoddy old institution with the same shoddy old values is in that article
    Unlike the Labour party I suppose, which has taken money from a man accused of lying on oath and wanting to send immigrants home and whose leader saw no problem with private Facebook groups where Klu Klux Klan supporters could spout their filth.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

RobD said:

DavidL said:

*innocent face*

An American bot?
    Well, if she was a techie she'd have used the one true date fiomat:

Or is she was really geeky:
    2450289.5 (extra points for anyone who knows what that is)
    Seconds since epoch, please.

Edit: Julian date ;) although I prefer the modified version, far less unwieldy :p
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,204
    Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

DavidL said:

Unlike the Labour party I suppose, which has taken money from a man accused of lying on oath and wanting to send immigrants home and whose leader saw no problem with private Facebook groups where Klu Klux Klan supporters could spout their filth.
    Would be quite funny if Corbyn became the first leader to be suspended by his own party since 1931.
  • Options
    In other news, today I am 16,421 days old. Can't wait for 16,436 ;)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    He's not wrong, but the optics of saying it out loud may not play well..
This discussion has been closed.