Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Democrats now odds on favourite to take Pennsylvania 18 –

Comments

• Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    nielh said:

Roger said:

Just watching Trump Tillerson and Co. It's difficult imagining what they could have been going through their heads when they voted for this man. I'd sooner have Putin any day of the week with or without Novichok.

Thats how it plays out with a lot of people. Putin comes across as a lot smarter than Trump.

Whilst I might argue Putin is smarter, as an international leader anyway, my preference would be for the incompetent person I think is bad rather than the competent one.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,572
    eek said:

Elliot said:

glw said:

RobD said:

Wasn't the "action" done by the Russians?

The line the Russian liars diplomats seem to be taking is that if it wasn't a British false-flag operation to discredit their glorious leader, then it was probably one of the other successor states* to the USSR, who got hold of some very old Soviet nerve agents that Russia certainly doesn't have, because they destroyed all of theirs long ago.

* They haven't actually said Ukraine yet as far as I know, but if I had to guess that is where Russia will point the finger.
    The audacity of Moscow is incredible. They deliberately choose a method to make it obvious to anyone even vaguely in the know it was them, and then try to muddy the waters with the general public, safe in the knowledge people like Trump and Corbyn will play along.
    I’m intrigued to think how they will retaliate...to our retaliation.

It’s seems very plausible that Trump has done this both to test NATO resolve and for internal consumption before the “election”.

If we don’t retaliate effectively, he knows he can keep pushing.

If we do, he can respond in turn - playing the strongman to the man on the Moscow omnibus.
    Well Putin knows that he supplies the gas that Europe needs to keep warm and alive in winter so the EU isn't going to do that much.
    IIRC 35% of European gas supplies come from Russia. I'm not sure whether the option exists to increase supplies from our other sources.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307

nielh said:

Roger said:

Just watching Trump Tillerson and Co. It's difficult imagining what they could have been going through their heads when they voted for this man. I'd sooner have Putin any day of the week with or without Novichok.

Thats how it plays out with a lot of people. Putin comes across as a lot smarter than Trump.

With Tillerson, I think I know what I'm getting, i.e. an oil co. exec. turned Foreign Sec. He may even have been slightly more competent than our clown in the F.O. - not difficult.

With Trump, I've no idea. We know in the UK that people from very privileged backgrounds can get an Oxbridge II(ii) even if they're as thick as two short planks. I presume the same's true there.

With Putin, I think I know. But an ex-KGB man will be expert at deceiving and manipulating people so I may be totally wrong.
    Putin is spared the problem of a free press.
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

Jonathan said:

"Russia is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma." - Winston Churchill

Nothing has changed. Still wondering what May is going to do when her ultimatum expires.

Yes same here, surely all the bellicose language means something beyond joint diplomat expulsions.
    She’s going to blow up the Kerch bridge to Crimea.
    Regardless of whether that would be a good idea, does Britain have the capacity to do that? Would a couple of cruise missiles from one of the subs be sufficient?
    Hopefully not, because it would probably provoke a nulcear response. That way lies madness, surely.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109

Yorkcity said:

Jonathan said:

Nothing has changed. Still wondering what May is going to do when her ultimatum expires.

Yes same here, surely all the bellicose language means something beyond joint diplomat expulsions.
    Regardless of whether that would be a good idea, does Britain have the capacity to do that? Would a couple of cruise missiles from one of the subs be sufficient?
    Hopefully not, because it would probably provoke a nulcear response. That way lies madness, surely.
    Oi! I'm the one whose meant to come up with brilliant puns!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027

Yorkcity said:

Jonathan said:

I’m not sure. The reason I thought of it is that the video put out by the UK government detailing Russia’s offensive moves made a point of explaining how the construction of the bridge blocked access to Mariupol in Ukraine.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,919

nielh said:

Roger said:

Whilst I might argue Putin is smarter, as an international leader anyway, my preference would be for the incompetent person I think is bad rather than the competent one.
    The difference is simple: the US has (for the moment at least) a bureaucracy that can prevent Trump doing many bad things (though not all). There is a congress that can act as a brake as well, and a media that can try to hold him to account.

In the case of Putin, he is the government now. He has very few checks and balances on what he does, and a media that are either in his control, or fearful for their lives.

This is why Roger's comment below is so ridiculous. People like him would be forced to make a choice very quickly: either support the regime or be unemployed or worse.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Dissident Nikolai Glushkov was discovered by his family late on Monday night at his suburban home in New Malden.

Police say his death is being treated as 'unexplained' and have taken the unusual step of putting counter-terrorism officers in charge of the investigation.

The Russian newspaper Kommersant has reported that the 68-year-old was found by his daughter and had 'strangulation' marks on his neck.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5495805/Russian-exile-dead-London-home.html

Obviously just tripped and fell....nasty accident.

Russian exiles in the U.K. do appear to be awfully accident prone.
    My plan for the World Cup. TMay to announce that England will not be participating beyond the group stage
    We could further punish the Russians by refusing to play free flowing attacking football.
    Maybe we should play but just not turn-up... as per usual.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

eek said:

Elliot said:

glw said:

RobD said:

The line the Russian liars diplomats seem to be taking is that if it wasn't a British false-flag operation to discredit their glorious leader, then it was probably one of the other successor states* to the USSR, who got hold of some very old Soviet nerve agents that Russia certainly doesn't have, because they destroyed all of theirs long ago.

* They haven't actually said Ukraine yet as far as I know, but if I had to guess that is where Russia will point the finger.
    The audacity of Moscow is incredible. They deliberately choose a method to make it obvious to anyone even vaguely in the know it was them, and then try to muddy the waters with the general public, safe in the knowledge people like Trump and Corbyn will play along.

It’s seems very plausible that Trump has done this both to test NATO resolve and for internal consumption before the “election”.

If we do, he can respond in turn - playing the strongman to the man on the Moscow omnibus.
    Well Putin knows that he supplies the gas that Europe needs to keep warm and alive in winter so the EU isn't going to do that much.
    IIRC 35% of European gas supplies come from Russia. I'm not sure whether the option exists to increase supplies from our other sources.
    Probably only by turning up the taps on the giant Groningen gas field which was discovered in 1959. It developed earthquakes in recent years, due to the amount of gas removed, and its output was reduced. The Dutch govt has also been keen for it to last longer.

If the UK had applied that prudent an attitude to N. Sea gas, we might have some left.

Countries like Denmark aren't in such a predicament because they built gas storage and are trying to make their own gas last until 2040-50 by which time they hope to be on 100% renewables. Only irresponsible countries have problems. Guess which I mean ...
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

eek said:

Elliot said:

glw said:

RobD said:

The UK doesn't rely on Russian gas, it's one reason we're keener on sanctions than European countries. The worst that happens for us is that we lose a bit of business for the city, maybe a few hundred millions of tax income but no one will freeze to death and there won't be blackouts.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Roger said:

Not fond of democracy then Roger?

Please feel free to move to Russia and then criticise Putin.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Jonathan said:

I can't imagine a military response if that is what you are thinking.

• Options

Why Galloway is currently stumbling about in political limbo, friendless and despised, is a mystery to me.

https://twitter.com/Otto_English/status/973595553983533056

Have they let him back into the Labour Party yet? He seems to have the same talking points as Seamus Milne.
    There was certainly talk of him being allowed back.

• Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516

Yorkcity said:

Jonathan said:

Perhaps she should still to more minor affairs, like low level chemical attacks in Russian restaurants.
  • Options
    RobD said:

The Russian Embassy twitter account are well tweeting.

https://twitter.com/RussianEmbassy/status/973611069687156736

They are trying to intimidate us - not very subtle is it.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    The Palestinian prime minister survived an assassination attempt during a rare visit to Hamas-controlled Gaza on Tuesday, putting a fresh strain on the already torrid relations between the two leading Palestinian factions.

Rami Hamdallah, the prime minister of the Fatah-controlled Palestinian Authority, had just entered Gaza when a roadside explosive detonated near his convoy. Mr Hamdallah was not injured but seven of his guards and aides suffered slight wounds, according to Palestinian media.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/03/13/palestinian-prime-minister-survives-assassination-attempt-gaza/
  • Options
    Elliot said:

Yorkcity said:

Jonathan said:

Perhaps she should still to more minor affairs, like low level chemical attacks in Russian restaurants.
    That's not going to happen though is it?
  • Options

nielh said:

Roger said:

The difference is simple: the US has (for the moment at least) a bureaucracy that can prevent Trump doing many bad things (though not all). There is a congress that can act as a brake as well, and a media that can try to hold him to account.

In the case of Putin, he is the government now. He has very few checks and balances on what he does, and a media that are either in his control, or fearful for their lives.

This is why Roger's comment below is so ridiculous. People like him would be forced to make a choice very quickly: either support the regime or be unemployed or worse.
    Yep. Its like my finnish friend said, noone dreams of emigrating to russia.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    nielh said:

nielh said:

Roger said:

Julian Assange might.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    nielh said:

nielh said:

Roger said:

Plenty of people from the periphery of the former Soviet Union do. Moscow is full of immigrants in that sense.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    That curve goes a bit flat after Q1 2016. I wonder why.

Luckily there’s no evidence that stagnating wages causes political instability. No sirree.

https://twitter.com/torstenbell/status/973601349156986881
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387

Luckily there’s no evidence that stagnating wages causes political instability. No sirree.

Brexit related inflation. Not sure about instability though.
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516

Elliot said:

Yorkcity said:

Jonathan said:

That's not going to happen though is it?
    No. Because only monsters use chemical weapons. But for us to ward Russia off, we need something equivalent.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    I have to say, the OBR couldn't run a bloody whelk stall. Their forecasts are all garbage.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

The reason is that productivity has stagnated for the last decade.

Increased wages have to be earned with increased productivity.

Note: Productivity is effectiveness. It is not improved with increased numbers of people in work or increased hours. It is achieved by more output per hour.

The increase in GDP from increased immigration/population/number in work has not improved productivity.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924

Central and Eastern Europe has very large reserves of shale gas. However, anti-frakking groups are (strangely) very well funded in the area, and a huge amount of money has been spent on persuading local politicians to change laws to prevent gas reserves being exploited.

Poland's government seems the most culpable, where numerous roadblocks were thrown in the way of Irish gas firm San Leon's attempts to develop the resource.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

Sandpit said:

Dissident Nikolai Glushkov was discovered by his family late on Monday night at his suburban home in New Malden.

Police say his death is being treated as 'unexplained' and have taken the unusual step of putting counter-terrorism officers in charge of the investigation.

The Russian newspaper Kommersant has reported that the 68-year-old was found by his daughter and had 'strangulation' marks on his neck.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5495805/Russian-exile-dead-London-home.html

Obviously just tripped and fell....nasty accident.

Russian exiles in the U.K. do appear to be awfully accident prone.
    My plan for the World Cup. TMay to announce that England will not be participating beyond the group stage
    We could further punish the Russians by refusing to play free flowing attacking football.
    Maybe we should play but just not turn-up... as per usual.

So true.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131
    nielh said:

nielh said:

Roger said:

With Tillerson, I think I know what I'm getting, i.e. an oil co. exec. turned Foreign Sec. He may even have been slightly more competent than our clown in the F.O. - not difficult.

With Trump, I've no idea. We know in the UK that people from very privileged backgrounds can get an Oxbridge II(ii) even if they're as thick as two short planks. I presume the same's true there.

With Putin, I think I know. But an ex-KGB man will be expert at deceiving and manipulating people so I may be totally wrong.
    Also the rule of law, meaningful opposition combined with the ability and resolve to murder opponents, journalists, people with doubtful hair styles and anyone else he doesn’t like for any reason he wants to dream up. Plus the ability to steal the resources of the entire nation of course. Anyone saying they would rather have a murderous bastard like Putin than an incompetent buffoon like Trump has not got close to the measure of the man.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,291
    Wow. Brendan's come out for Jezza.

Such has been the fever pitch of anti-Russia sabre-rattling over the past couple of days that even to ask ‘Shall we wait for all the facts?’ is to risk being shot down, being accused of ‘Putin apologism’, being branded an enemy of Britain and friend of Russia. Witness the response to Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn’s sensible plea that we remain in a ‘robust dialogue with Russia’ rather than ‘cutting off contact and letting the tensions and divisions get worse and potentially even more dangerous’. A politician calling for calm? For diplomacy? For dialogue? Boo! That cannot be tolerated.

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/the-jingoistic-fear-of-russia-is-out-of-control/21212#.Wqg3X47FKUk
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Two remarks:
    (1) The following site might be interesting:
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/03/13/us/elections/results-pennsylvania-house-special-election.html
    (2) Trump and Stormy Daniels seem to me to be the perfect match (made in ???).
  • Options
    edited March 2018

nielh said:

nielh said:

Roger said:

Plenty of people from the periphery of the former Soviet Union do. Moscow is full of immigrants in that sense.
    In general terms though, people are attracted to regimes where you don't live in constant fear of the state.
  • Options
    nielh said:

nielh said:

nielh said:

Roger said:

In general terms though, people are attracted to regimes where you don't live in constant fear of the state.
    Surely it is that they are repelled by regimes where you do live in constant fear of the state? Which may sound like a distinction without a difference but I think does leave people who don't have that experience less deeply rooted in democracy than is realised.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/kfile/status/973660077805789185

Bubba the Love Sponge Clem, known as Todd Clem before he legally changed his name in 1999, ...

I mean what can one say.
  • Options

Note: Productivity is effectiveness. It is not improved with increased numbers of people in work or increased hours. It is achieved by more output per hour.

The increase in GDP from increased immigration/population/number in work has not improved productivity.
    Look at the monkey!

Do you see the drop off after Q1 2016.
    Something happened, and it wasn’t secular productivity stagnation.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

nielh said:

nielh said:

nielh said:

Roger said:

Surely it is that they are repelled by regimes where you do live in constant fear of the state? Which may sound like a distinction without a difference but I think does leave people who don't have that experience less deeply rooted in democracy than is realised.
    I'm honestly not sure. I get the idea that many people in China are pretty relaxed about being in constant fear of the state.

• Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    Toms said:

Two remarks:
    (1) The following site might be interesting:
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/03/13/us/elections/results-pennsylvania-house-special-election.html
    (2) Trump and Stormy Daniels seem to me to be the perfect match (made in ???).

Thanks
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,919

Such has been the fever pitch of anti-Russia sabre-rattling over the past couple of days that even to ask ‘Shall we wait for all the facts?’ is to risk being shot down, being accused of ‘Putin apologism’, being branded an enemy of Britain and friend of Russia. Witness the response to Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn’s sensible plea that we remain in a ‘robust dialogue with Russia’ rather than ‘cutting off contact and letting the tensions and divisions get worse and potentially even more dangerous’. A politician calling for calm? For diplomacy? For dialogue? Boo! That cannot be tolerated.

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/the-jingoistic-fear-of-russia-is-out-of-control/21212#.Wqg3X47FKUk

Its a straw man argument and O'Neill should know better.

Jezza was not attacked for saying that we should be measured in our response. There were plenty in the Commons making the same point on all sides.

Rather he was attacked from all sides for seeking to take party political advantage of a serious threat to our country.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    DavidL said:

nielh said:

nielh said:

Roger said:

Also the rule of law, meaningful opposition combined with the ability and resolve to murder opponents, journalists, people with doubtful hair styles and anyone else he doesn’t like for any reason he wants to dream up. Plus the ability to steal the resources of the entire nation of course. Anyone saying they would rather have a murderous bastard like Putin than an incompetent buffoon like Trump has not got close to the measure of the man.
    Yeah but its all relative. If your everyday life is poverty, coupled with being pursued by the mafia, and extra judicial violence with no real social order, then you may not be too bothered by having a murderous b@stard in charge if he can sort some of these problems out. Freedom of speech would be quite far down your list of priorities.

Not that I am a Putin admirer, but it all has to be seen in context.
  • Options

Jezza was not attacked for saying that we should be measured in our response. There were plenty in the Commons making the same point on all sides.

Rather he was attacked from all sides for seeking to take party political advantage of a serious threat to our country.
    And he has form for relucance to condemn brutal regimes in places like Venezuela and Iran.
  • Options
    Come on Sevilla.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645

Jezza was not attacked for saying that we should be measured in our response.
    Indeed. Not least since even though the PM said Russia was highly likely behind it, she did offer an alternative possibility given the nature of the agent involved, albeit one which would still mean negligence on their part. But if we believe we have sufficient evidence they did this, how is it unreasonable to suggest some action? Depending on the action suggested it might be unreasonable, but it is surely expected of a nation that if it publicly states it thinks another nation might be behind such an event, that action not just words would need to be taken.

Waiting for enough facts to make a credible initial conclusion was what the government already did. Will there ever be so many facts that Russia were to admit things. Of course not, nor is it likely any such things can be proven 100%. Unless the Russians accept our accusation, which won't happen even proof were handed down from on high on stone tablets, or we discover more information which casts doubt on the current theories - possible, in fairness - what is there even to talk about?
  • Options

Come on Sevilla.

Brilliant.

Mancs used up all their luck up on Saturday.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Come on Sevilla.

Brilliant.

Still time yet (!)

EDIT Ooops - maybe not :disappointed:
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Indeed. Not least since even though the PM said Russia was highly likely behind it, she did offer an alternative possibility given the nature of the agent involved, albeit one which would still mean negligence on their part. But if we believe we have sufficient evidence they did this, how is it unreasonable to suggest some action? Depending on the action suggested it might be unreasonable, but it is surely expected of a nation that if it publicly states it thinks another nation might be behind such an event, that action not just words would need to be taken.

Waiting for enough facts to make a credible initial conclusion was what the government already did. Will there ever be so many facts that Russia were to admit things. Of course not, nor is it likely any such things can be proven 100%. Unless the Russians accept our accusation, which won't happen even proof were handed down from on high on stone tablets, or we discover more information which casts doubt on the current theories - possible, in fairness - what is there even to talk about?
    In political and diplomatic terms what may said means they are 99.9% certain it was a state sponsored attack by Russia. They just don't make those statements if they think it is just one of a number of possibilities and everybody with half a brain knows it.
  • Options
    This election is a hard one to predict accurately however there seems to be a clear over emphasis on the Democrats on this.

The 6% poll in favour of Lamb has largely skewed alot of betting and thought. Bear in mind this was a poll of just 372, which is far from trustworthy. Moreover if you look at the breakdown in the people polled in this, their sample was 39% who classed themselves as Democrat and just 38% as Republican, the rest independent. Which seems very out of proportion with the local area.

I've got on the Republican victory when it was briefly at 2.66. I expect that to come in well. Republican victory by around 5%+ me thinks.
  • Options

Come on Sevilla.

Brilliant.

Still time yet (!)

Tonight's the night for Alexis Sanchez and Paul Pogba to justify their transfer fees and salaries.
  • Options

eek said:

Elliot said:

glw said:

RobD said:

Probably only by turning up the taps on the giant Groningen gas field which was discovered in 1959. It developed earthquakes in recent years, due to the amount of gas removed, and its output was reduced. The Dutch govt has also been keen for it to last longer.

If the UK had applied that prudent an attitude to N. Sea gas, we might have some left.

Countries like Denmark aren't in such a predicament because they built gas storage and are trying to make their own gas last until 2040-50 by which time they hope to be on 100% renewables. Only irresponsible countries have problems. Guess which I mean ...
    Denmark import large amounts of electricity from Norway. Our own gas will also last longer than you claim and there are new discoveries being made all the time. We also had very large gas storage capabilities but lost the majority because of problems with the Rough facility.

Oh and Denmark expects to start importing gas from 2020 or 2021 as there has been a rapid decline in their own production.
  • Options

Come on Sevilla.

Brilliant.

Still time yet (!)

Tonight's the night for Alexis Sanchez and Paul Pogba to justify their transfer fees and salaries.
    Just 2 more needed now!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

nielh said:

nielh said:

nielh said:

Roger said:

+1
  • Options

Come on Sevilla.

Brilliant.

Still time yet (!)

Just 2 more needed now!
    I've seen Sevilla twice this season, they are a lot like Liverpool, ranging from the sublime to stupid, usually in the same half.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,532

Come on Sevilla.

Brilliant.

Still time yet (!)

Good side Sevilla. It was quite hard for Leicester to knock them out of the Champions League last year, but we did 3:2 on aggregate. Perhaps Jose could console himself by watching those highlights :)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

nielh said:

nielh said:

nielh said:

Roger said:

+1
    Any chance you could change your avatar RCS? Vlad's giving me the creeps!
  • Options
    edited March 2018

kle4 said:

In political and diplomatic terms what may said means they are 99.9% certain it was a state sponsored attack by Russia. They just don't make those statements if they think it is just one of a number of possibilities and everybody with half a brain knows it.
    I wasn't saying she didn't think it was them, merely that she left the door open for Russia to provide an alternate explanation if it wants. It doesn't want to do so, so the only other option is to reject any evidence we've raised, ergo it would not be us rejecting dialogue.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213
    Am I the only one who thinks it's a little "Soviet" to give your electoral divisions numbers instead of names?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

nielh said:

nielh said:

nielh said:

Roger said:

+1
    I always think in that photograph he looks a bit like a Womble.

Does that help at all?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046

Look at the monkey!

GDP per head was NEGATIVE in 2016q1:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/grossdomesticproductgdp/datasets/gdpperheadtablep

You might also take a look at this:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nationalaccounts/balanceofpayments/timeseries/hbop/pnbp

Economic growth had become dependent upon borrowed money being spent upon imported tat.

To rebalance the economy to something sustainable will need consumption to be held down for years.

Or do you think this country can continually consume more wealth than it produces ?
  • Options

Denmark import large amounts of electricity from Norway. Our own gas will also last longer than you claim and there are new discoveries being made all the time. We also had very large gas storage capabilities but lost the majority because of problems with the Rough facility.

Oh and Denmark expects to start importing gas from 2020 or 2021 as there has been a rapid decline in their own production.

Have you looked at in-situ gasification?

There is the possibility to do mega amounts of it using the coal fields under the North Sea. It probably requires methane to be about $10-12mcf to be economical, but is an important reminder that we could be energy independent in the longer term.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Come on Sevilla.

Brilliant.

Still time yet (!)

Good side Sevilla. It was quite hard for Leicester to knock them out of the Champions League last year, but we did 3:2 on aggregate. Perhaps Jose could console himself by watching those highlights :)
    Hoho. We're just going to have to concentrate on the league. Oh...
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    Just worked through the results in Greene County, only to find it accounts for just 2% of electors in the CD...
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @FullFrontalSamB: Uh @HamillHimself, you wanna take this one?
    https://twitter.com/christinawilkie/status/973667887708823556

@FelicityHannah: You're all laughing at Trump but, come on, we'd all want to join the Space Force.
  • Options

Am I the only one who thinks it's a little "Soviet" to give your electoral divisions numbers instead of names?

It's certainly not as interesting. South Holland the Deepings or The Wreckin are far better thing to represent than 'the xth district'
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

nielh said:

nielh said:

nielh said:

Roger said:

+1
    I always think in that photograph he looks a bit like a Womble.

Does that help at all?
    I'll try to keep that image in mind :smile:
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    I wonder if this story will feature in a certain Russian owned provincial freesheet:

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018/mar/13/buyer-funded-development-scandal

An interesting tale of failed property developments, greedy foreign investors, Scousers and George Osborne.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,532

Look at the monkey!

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/grossdomesticproductgdp/datasets/gdpperheadtablep

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nationalaccounts/balanceofpayments/timeseries/hbop/pnbp

Economic growth had become dependent upon borrowed money being spent upon imported tat.

To rebalance the economy to something sustainable will need consumption to be held down for years.

Or do you think this country can continually consume more wealth than it produces ?
    I think that is probably happening with the squeeze on wages. The rounds of retail and restaurant closures points in that direction. Probably a good thing in the long term as many Britons are maxed out on debt. It will be a drain on GDP growth though.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Liverpool getting worried about the BIG CLUB arriving in Saturday!
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Are we playing Luton on Saturday?
  • Options

Look at the monkey!

Wrong.

Someone called it right downthread, it was inflation - caused by the fall in the pound - reducing our real wages.

Reducing consumption maybe necessary, but that doesn’t mean we should sign up to years more of wage stagnation. Or it didn’t, before Brexit.
  • Options

Ave_it said:

Are we playing Luton on Saturday?
    You might be in three seasons in League 1! :lol:
  • Options

And he has form for relucance to condemn brutal regimes in places like Venezuela and Iran.
    You mean dictatorships that hate the West - or as he would say "our good friends"
  • Options
    ' In 2015, then-chancellor George Osborne led a UK government trade mission to China, accompanied by the Mayor of Liverpool, Joe Anderson, to trumpet the “golden era” of Sino-British relations. They were there to sell the Northern Pitchbook, a £24bn catalogue of investment opportunities, one highlight of which was Liverpool’s New Chinatown. Devised by North Point Global, this flagship £200m development of 800 luxury flats was to stand in the shadow of the Anglican Cathedral, as a dramatic cluster of angular towers rising above a Chinese bazaar.

“We have an idea, because of Liverpool’s links to China, of a new Chinese-themed attraction to bring it all to life,” Osborne told the Liverpool Echo in September 2015, speaking on the phone from Chengdu. “I’ve just been talking to one of the Chinese investors at the Liverpool stand,” he continued. “And Joe and I were going at it as a tag team, to try and persuade him to put his money into Liverpool.” '

Apparently the Chinese investors believe they were guaranteed a 9% rate of return on their investment.

Certainly they were both gullible and greedy but the story gives an indication as to how dependent the UK economy has become on ever more dubious property speculation by foreigners and how much money flows out of the UK as a consequence.

In fact so much flows out that even if the UK ran both a trade surplus and a tourism surplus it would still have a balance of payments deficit.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Come on Sevilla.

Brilliant.

Still time yet (!)

Fully deserved win by Sevilla - Mourinho team selection and tactics poor + Sanchez and Pogba just hopeless

No complaints at all - the best team won
  • Options
    Matt is the Don Bradman of cartoonists.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131

Come on Sevilla.

Brilliant.

Still time yet (!)

Sanchez is not worth his place in the team at the moment and we would be more effective playing with 10 men than having Pogba on the pitch. He just gives the ball away the whole time. Probably the worst United performance since the dark days of LVG.
  • Options

Look at the monkey!

Wrong.

Someone called it right downthread, it was inflation - caused by the fall in the pound - reducing our real wages.

Reducing consumption maybe necessary, but that doesn’t mean we should sign up to years more of wage stagnation. Or it didn’t, before Brexit.
    The UK had the highest balance of payments deficit on record in 2016 and the highest balance of payments deficit in the western world.

And you think that sterling needed to have a higher value ?

Now lets consider what would have happened if sterling had a higher value - the trade deficit wouldn't have fallen, manufacturing output would be lower, the tourism deficit would be higher as the UK lived even further beyond its means that it has been doing.

Do you think this country can continually consume more wealth that it produces ?

Please answer that - its the issue supporters of Osbrowne economics have been ignoring for over a decade.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Have you looked at in-situ gasification?

There is the possibility to do mega amounts of it using the coal fields under the North Sea. It probably requires methane to be about $10-12mcf to be economical, but is an important reminder that we could be energy independent in the longer term.
    Oh absolutely. I was simply answering rural_voters' points.

The big issue for the UK is not gas sources, it is gas storage. Rough was important not because it produced any gas but because it gave us 10 days of supply if all other sources were cut off. We really do need to replace it but at the moment there are no suitable candidate fields.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Come on Sevilla.

Brilliant.

Still time yet (!)

Sanchez is not worth his place in the team at the moment and we would be more effective playing with 10 men than having Pogba on the pitch. He just gives the ball away the whole time. Probably the worst United performance since the dark days of LVG.
    Agreed and Fellaini played lot better than Pogba , no correct that, everyone played better than Pogba

And why keep switching Rashford - Mourinho tactics all wrong
  • Options
    Man U still have to face Watford again this season - Chelsea new 2nd place contenders?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Come on Sevilla.

Brilliant.

Still time yet (!)

My Manchester United supporting colleagues have texted me the following

1) If Pogba had played on Saturday Liverpool would have won 10 nil

2) United's season went to shit when Mourinho parked the bus at Anfield
  • Options

I'm not the biggest fan of Matt but that is very good.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Look at the monkey!

I think that is probably happening with the squeeze on wages. The rounds of retail and restaurant closures points in that direction. Probably a good thing in the long term as many Britons are maxed out on debt. It will be a drain on GDP growth though.
    The UK had become a fat slob of an economy - it needs to do more work, more exercise and go on a diet.

And like many fat slobs there are some people who claim there isn't a problem and some people who say something needs to be done but at some time in the future.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

T with increased numbers of people in work or increased hours. It is achieved by more output per hour.

stagnation.

Wrong.

The UK had the highest balance of payments deficit on record in 2016 and the highest balance of payments deficit in the western world.

Now lets consider what would have happened if sterling had a higher value - the trade deficit wouldn't have fallen, manufacturing output would be lower, the tourism deficit would be higher as the UK lived even further beyond its means that it has been doing.

Do you think this country can continually consume more wealth that it produces ?

Please answer that - its the issue supporters of Osbrowne economics have been ignoring for over a decade.
    You are now changing the subject, onto your Osbrowne economics hobbyhorse.

I agree that Osbrownianism was unsustainable, if you mean an economy built on debt-fuelled consumption, inflated house prices, etc. The hard but sustainable way to address that is to deflate the bubble and incentivise increased savings.

But I’m talking about Brexit, which as we see has - via inflation - had a real effect on our spending power. We now have less (relatively) money to allocate to anything - whether spending OR saving.

PS Please expand on this “tourism deficit”. It sounds awkwardly as if we must all spend our summers in Skegness.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Come on Sevilla.

Brilliant.

Still time yet (!)

You have Manchester United supporting colleagues - I thought you worked in Manchester ?

Do they come from somewhere else ?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Come on Sevilla.

Brilliant.

Still time yet (!)

You have Manchester United supporting colleagues - I thought you worked in Manchester ?

Do they come from somewhere else ?
    I do work in Manchester, one's from Scotland, but he's been living in England since 1987.

T'other one is from Bury.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

*splutters* not the biggest fan of Matt????
  • Options

He also likes pineapple on pizza.
  • Options

Wrong.

You are now changing the subject, onto your Osbrowne economics hobbyhorse.

I agree that Osbrownianism was unsustainable, if you mean an economy built on debt-fuelled consumption, inflated house prices, etc. The hard but sustainable way to address that is to deflate the bubble and incentivise increase in savings.

But I’m talking about Brexit, which as we see has - via inflation - had a real effect on our spending power. We now have less (relatively) money to allocate to anything - whether spending OR saving.

PS Please expand on this “tourism deficit”. It sounds awkwardly as if we must all spend our summers in Skegness.
    The tourism deficit is simply the excess of spending by UK visitors abroad to the spending in the UK by foreign visitors:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Tourism_rankings#International_tourism_receipts

You might notice that while some countries, eg USA and France, have a tourism surplus and a trade defict and other countries, eg China and Germany, have a trade surplus and a tourism deficit the UK has been running both a trade deficit and a tourism deficit for the last twenty years.

Now as to your idea about deflating property bubbles and incentivising savings its nice in theory (although it wouldn't have boosted manufacturing and other exports) but you know as well as I do that there was no chance of that happening if Remain had won.

The alternative to what we have now was continuing Osbrowne economic strategy.
  • Options

I prefer the 'Alex' cartoon - I like the stories.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Irrespective of whether the Democrats snatch the House seat today, I think people this side of the ocean underestimate the level of mobilisation against the Trump presidency amongst Democrats and, critically, independents. Motivation is very high indeed. On the other hand a slice of the GOP voter base is pretty dispirited. The GOP cannot just rely on its traditional core but a core that has some of its own less motivated to vote.

Despite the stock standard assessment that the mid terms are tough for Democrats there is every chance of a large overperformance.
  • Options

' In 2015, then-chancellor George Osborne led a UK government trade mission to China, accompanied by the Mayor of Liverpool, Joe Anderson, to trumpet the “golden era” of Sino-British relations. They were there to sell the Northern Pitchbook, a £24bn catalogue of investment opportunities, one highlight of which was Liverpool’s New Chinatown. Devised by North Point Global, this flagship £200m development of 800 luxury flats was to stand in the shadow of the Anglican Cathedral, as a dramatic cluster of angular towers rising above a Chinese bazaar.

“We have an idea, because of Liverpool’s links to China, of a new Chinese-themed attraction to bring it all to life,” Osborne told the Liverpool Echo in September 2015, speaking on the phone from Chengdu. “I’ve just been talking to one of the Chinese investors at the Liverpool stand,” he continued. “And Joe and I were going at it as a tag team, to try and persuade him to put his money into Liverpool.” '

Apparently the Chinese investors believe they were guaranteed a 9% rate of return on their investment.

Certainly they were both gullible and greedy but the story gives an indication as to how dependent the UK economy has become on ever more dubious property speculation by foreigners and how much money flows out of the UK as a consequence.

In fact so much flows out that even if the UK ran both a trade surplus and a tourism surplus it would still have a balance of payments deficit.

As evidence as to how much the UK's financial position has worsened compare the trade deficit to the overall balance of payments deficit:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nationalaccounts/balanceofpayments/timeseries/ikbj/mret

While the cumulative trade deficits for the periods 2003-2007, 2008-2012 and 2013-17 have varied only between £173bn to £177bn the cumulative balance of payments deficits increased from £188bn to £304bn to an estimated £500bn.

As Robert Smithson has pointed out previously, over the last twenty years there has been a huge shift from the UK being a net owner of foreign assets to foreign countries being a net owner of UK assets.

With the consequent flows of funds from interest on UK government bonds, dividends from UK companies and rental income from UK property.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Y0kel said:

Irrespective of whether the Democrats snatch the House seat today, I think people this side of the ocean underestimate the level of mobilisation against the Trump presidency amongst Democrats and, critically, independents. Motivation is very high indeed. On the other hand a slice of the GOP voter base is pretty dispirited. The GOP cannot just rely on its traditional core but a core that has some of its own less motivated to vote.

Despite the stock standard assessment that the mid terms are tough for Democrats there is every chance of a large overperformance.

Trump has a 42% approval rating with likely/registered voters according to 538. Do you think that's a good or bad rating for Trump at this stage?
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

The Dems are able to run against a Republican controlled House, Senate and government.

And without the negatives Hilary gave them.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    AndyJS said:

Y0kel said:

Trump has a 42% approval rating with likely/registered voters according to 538. Do you think that's a good or bad rating for Trump at this stage?
    Its not fantastic in historic terms but more bad news for him and the party is coming. Just like voters here, Americans don't react well to parties and politicians who seem to just have trouble following them constantly.
This discussion has been closed.