Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » So crunch day on Russia for the PM

Comments

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    FF43 said:

Elliot said:

FF43 said:

The UK joins the European Army.

I don't Russia would be pleased with that :)

We already are part of the NATO joint command structure.
    Seriously, strengthening military ties with EU member states is something the UK could do. This brings in Sweden and Finland, who aren't members of NATO.
    Lets face it - the EU did nothing when a member state's airline was shot down.

Germany continues to rely on gas from Russia - all their crazy talk about greening up and the madness of ditching nuclear because of a few headbanging Green MPs means Putin has Merkel by the short and curlies.

https://www.cleanenergywire.org/factsheets/germanys-dependence-imported-fossil-fuels

• Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

DanSmith said:

Russia, by contrast, could be a very, very nasty affair, with a lot of violence.

A brave person who tries to be a hooligan in Russia. Will pass off as a very quiet World Cup from that point of view.
    Not if they are a Russian.
    Russian ultra thugs have been training in the woods for years according to a documentary that was on a few months ago. To be in the one of the gangs you have to fight other gang members to the point of severe major injury to prove yourself.
    I wouldn't go to a World Cup there. I don't like physical pain.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    re Corbyn - I don't think this was a mistake. Well, I didn't like it, not at all, but his intention was to score political points and in that he succeeded. He is a "loser" among his enemies, but he was already. The idea that opposition leaders should behave in the same statesmanlike way as the PM is daft. The issue of Russian donations to Tory MPs is now high up the agenda, and is something his supporters, and most Labour voters, will bite at.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Even that would be a thoroughly trivial and fleeting response. Someone would still win the World Cup (Russia themselves, perhaps, if enough big teams withdrew - though perhaps more likely someone like Argentina), and then the world will move on.

For a meaningful response, the UK - and allies as far as possible - need to make a lasting impact on Russia and the Putin regime that causes real pain.

Economic sanctions would be best, including limiting Russian access to Western financial markets; limiting or banning joint projects, Russian investment in the UK and UK investment in Russia (and requiring divestment of existing assets, where proscribed, within, say, 6 months). But measures should also be diplomatic: ranging from expulsion of all known or suspected Russian spies to strengthening of support for Georgia and the Ukraine, including intelligence and hardware (but not personnel) support.

Russia has clearly used a chemical weapon in Britain with the intention of murdering at least one person and, in taking that action, clearly countenanced the possibility of killing dozens more. That act requires a proportionate response.

As I said earlier, the most damaging impact on Putin would be news stories that hurt him being given international media attention on a frequent basis. Or fresh information from British tax havens.
    No, it wouldn't. he really doesn't care about stuff like that. The regaining of Crimea is worth a million hostile editorials.

Putin is interested in holding, applying and increasing his, and Russia's, power (which amount to much the same thing). News stories have a minor adverse soft power impact but that shouldn't be allowed to override the real hard power gains that they're reporting on.
    He absolutely cares about that. Russia has realised the power of the media narrative. That is how they got Trump elected after all. It's why he spends considerable resources peddling Ukrainian fascist stories. It is why Russia Today operates at a loss around the world. It is the reason Nemtsov and other democrats are killed off, when all they are doing is highlighting abuses.
    Oh, sure, it matters in democratic countries. But it's a lot easier for Russia to run bot-interference in the West, with its free speech, than for the UK to run some kind of anti-Russian propaganda campaign. And in any case, if Russia is prepared to invade foreign countries and use chemical weapons abroad, there's more than enough truth to be going on with. If he was that bothered about Russia's image, he wouldn't be doing that stuff. But he is, so he isn't.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

FF43 said:

Elliot said:

FF43 said:

Seriously, strengthening military ties with EU member states is something the UK could do. This brings in Sweden and Finland, who aren't members of NATO.

Germany continues to rely on gas from Russia - all their crazy talk about greening up and the madness of ditching nuclear because of a few headbanging Green MPs means Putin has Merkel by the short and curlies.

https://www.cleanenergywire.org/factsheets/germanys-dependence-imported-fossil-fuels

Who funds (or funded) German Green party / MPs?
  • Options
    Dadge said:

re Corbyn - I don't think this was a mistake. Well, I didn't like it, not at all, but his intention was to score political points and in that he succeeded. He is a "loser" among his enemies, but he was already. The idea that opposition leaders should behave in the same statesmanlike way as the PM is daft. The issue of Russian donations to Tory MPs is now high up the agenda, and is something his supporters, and most Labour voters, will bite at.

Trade Unions ever had Russian money?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,142
    philiph said:

DanSmith said:

Russia, by contrast, could be a very, very nasty affair, with a lot of violence.

A brave person who tries to be a hooligan in Russia. Will pass off as a very quiet World Cup from that point of view.
    Not if they are a Russian.
    Russian ultra thugs have been training in the woods for years according to a documentary that was on a few months ago. To be in the one of the gangs you have to fight other gang members to the point of severe major injury to prove yourself.
    I wouldn't go to a World Cup there. I don't like physical pain.
    It is going to be grim I suspect. The Russians also plan to target English fans as they see them as the ones who consider themselves hard and up for a ruck.
  • Options

This is her Chamberlain moment isn't it?

To be fair to Chamberlain, he had several 'moment's to respond to. He was PM when Poland was invaded as much as when the Sudentenland was threatened.
    Depends how events turn out this weekend I might finally get to do my 'Boris Johnson, the worst Foreign Secretary since Lord Halifax' piece.

It'll be a World War II themed weekend, I've got a Dunkirk themed thread almost written.
  • Options
    re Cable - another example of commentators clutching their pearls, whilst among his base, and among Remainers in general, the message ("white faces") was understood and agreed with. Anyone who lives in a big city like Birmingham can see the phenomenon of "white flight".
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Good morning, again, everyone.

Mr. Flashman (deceased), nuclear was ditched by Merkel as a kneejerk and idiotic response to Fukushima's meltdown (keen observers may recall that Germany is not renowned for suffering tsunamis and earthquakes).

F1: Todt has said criticism of the halo is amazing.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/43399491

Well, it's ugly. And has doubled cockpit evacuation times. And I've read the safety car will carry tools for cutting through it because a driver who finds his car upside down won't be able to extricate himself. And one driver has cut his race suit open on it. And it reduces vision. And it would've perhaps prevented one incident (non-fatal) on the last decade but wouldn't've helped Jules Bianchi, so its 'safety' credentials are questionable.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
  • Options
    Dadge said:

Your comments in your last sentence where not shared by his own MP's who trashed his response one after another, after another. It was embarrassing and showed how out of his depth he was
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    There are no Russian donations to the Conservative Party. There are only donations by UK citizens who on the electoral roll. Of course mere facts don't matter.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Dadge said:

"Ever" is a word understood by opponents but not by supporters.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

FF43 said:

Elliot said:

FF43 said:

Which airline was that?
  • Options

TGOHF said:

FF43 said:

Elliot said:

FF43 said:

Which airline was that?
    I suspect they mean an airliner originating a flight in an EU member state, carrying numerous EU citizens.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

FF43 said:

Dura_Ace said:

For a meaningful response, the UK - and allies as far as possible - need to make a lasting impact on Russia and the Putin regime that causes real pain.

Reversing Brexit would cause him genuine angst with the added bonus that it would be an economic, moral, cultural and intellectual boon to the UK.
    And anti democratic. We must leave and then those wanting to be part of the EU must campaign to rejoin.
    We have choices. So far we have not chosen to face up to Russia when we could have done. Corbyn at least has a point about the Conservative Party accepting large donations from people closely associated with the regime. That sends the message that actually we don't care what you do on our soil.
    Appeasement was a Conservative party policy...
    Unilateral disarmament was a Labour one, in both the 1930s and the 1980s - the latter supported by Corbyn both then and now, I think.
  • Options
    The Stop The War Mob outside the Arndale Centre are saying this is the modern day Zinoviev letter.

It's all a plot to discredit Jeremy Corbyn and Labour.

Don't fall for this well worn false flag operation sheeple.
  • Options
    Dadge said:

philiph said:

Dadge said:

"Ever" is a word understood by opponents but not by supporters.
    I didn't realise education had fallen so far or was so sophisticated as to select and identify supporters and opponents.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

FF43 said:

Elliot said:

FF43 said:

Which airline was that?
    Pedant Airlines

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/05/world/europe/netherlands-malaysia-airlines-mh17-suspects.html

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

There are no Russian donations to the Conservative Party. There are only donations by UK citizens who on the electoral roll. Of course mere facts don't matter.

That's a good point that people should bear in mind when Corbyn and co. try to score points. That said I think all political parties need to be very wary of where money ultimately comes from, and what allegencies the donor may have. It's not like the Kremlin itself is going to write a cheque. Does the Electoral Commission have the ability to properly scrutinise such aspects of political donations?
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

Mr. Flashman (deceased), nuclear was ditched by Merkel as a kneejerk and idiotic response to Fukushima's meltdown (keen observers may recall that Germany is not renowned for suffering tsunamis and earthquakes).

Well, it's ugly. And has doubled cockpit evacuation times. And I've read the safety car will carry tools for cutting through it because a driver who finds his car upside down won't be able to extricate himself. And one driver has cut his race suit open on it. And it reduces vision. And it would've perhaps prevented one incident (non-fatal) on the last decade but wouldn't've helped Jules Bianchi, so its 'safety' credentials are questionable.

Why do you say that about Bianchi? Has it been established that it wouldn't have been strong enough? (it was a horrible thing to watch - one of those clips that i tracked down and then really wished I hadn't)
  • Options

To be fair to Chamberlain, he had several 'moment's to respond to. He was PM when Poland was invaded as much as when the Sudentenland was threatened.
    Depends how events turn out this weekend I might finally get to do my 'Boris Johnson, the worst Foreign Secretary since Lord Halifax' piece.

It'll be a World War II themed weekend, I've got a Dunkirk themed thread almost written.
    As long as it's not World War III themed.

(This does give me my chance to argue that we've either already had WW3 or we've not yet had WW2).
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

FF43 said:

Elliot said:

FF43 said:

Which airline was that?
    Pedant Airlines

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/05/world/europe/netherlands-malaysia-airlines-mh17-suspects.html

So it wasn't a member state's airline.

Glad we cleared that up.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,329

The general perception in Russia is that Putin stands opposed to the oligarchy, who grew rich at the people's expense.....

Which is absurd, given he's the top kleptocrat.

The set of those who grew rich off the spoils of the collapsed soviet state contains both Putin's cronies and opponents.
  • Options

(This does give me my chance to argue that we've either already had WW3 or we've not yet had WW2).
    Nope, my focus will be entirely looking to WWII.

I love giving PBers lessons in history.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,329

The Stop The War Mob outside the Arndale Centre are saying this is the modern day Zinoviev letter.

Or a Zionist conspiracy....

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,690

I said donations from people closely associated with the Russian regime. Facts do matter.
  • Options
    Mr. Anorak, what I've heard from others (not my area of expertise) is that it was the sheer concussive force of going from high speed to no speed that caused the damage. F1 helmets are immensely strong already (decades ago I saw a feature about how one of Schumacher's could theoretically withstand being run over by a tank).

Bianchi's death was tragic, yet the sport's at risk of making itself more dangerous by pursuing a 'safety feature' that has some serious question marks about it. Making cars more difficult to evacuate, particularly given the potential for fire and electrical problems, and perhaps impossible if upside down, is not something that fills me with confidence.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,491

Foxy said:

FF43 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Reversing Brexit would cause him genuine angst with the added bonus that it would be an economic, moral, cultural and intellectual boon to the UK.
    And anti democratic. We must leave and then those wanting to be part of the EU must campaign to rejoin.
    We have choices. So far we have not chosen to face up to Russia when we could have done. Corbyn at least has a point about the Conservative Party accepting large donations from people closely associated with the regime. That sends the message that actually we don't care what you do on our soil.
    Unilateral disarmament was a Labour one, in both the 1930s and the 1980s - the latter supported by Corbyn both then and now, I think.
    Pacifism was indeed the policy in the early thirties, but after the Italian war invasion of Ethiopia, Lansbury resigned in October 1935, and Attlee took over with support for rearmament. Appeasement of the Nazis came later, under the Tories.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

FF43 said:

Elliot said:

FF43 said:

Which airline was that?
    Pedant Airlines

Glad we cleared that up.
    Glad we cleared up that over 200 EU citizens including 10 Brits died and the EU did nothing.

But you focus on the owner of the plane - crack on.

• Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

TGOHF said:

FF43 said:

Elliot said:

FF43 said:

Which airline was that?
    It was MH17. Malaysia being, of course, one of the lesser known EU countries.
  • Options

STV poll

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Nigelb said:

The general perception in Russia is that Putin stands opposed to the oligarchy, who grew rich at the people's expense.....

The set of those who grew rich off the spoils of the collapsed soviet state contains both Putin's cronies and opponents.
    The only way that Putin stood up to the oligarchs was by picking the winners, and having their rivals bumped off by the state and private security companies. Essentially providing a state-sanctioned roof for almost all organised crime in Russia.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,915

That’s a bit hard on Lord Halifax.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,953
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

FF43 said:

Elliot said:

FF43 said:

Which airline was that?
    Pedant Airlines

Glad we cleared that up.
    Glad we cleared up that over 200 EU citizens including 10 Brits died and the EU did nothing.

I thought the person who tried to make a point by writing 'a member state's airline was shot down' was the one focusing on the owner of the plane. Silly me.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

FF43 said:

Elliot said:

FF43 said:

Which airline was that?
    Pedant Airlines

Glad we cleared that up.

It took the EU three days to agree a position on China's territorial claims in the South China Sea. It's difficult to do foreign policy by committee. There are always fracture lines between the member states.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

FF43 said:

Elliot said:

FF43 said:

Which airline was that?
    Pedant Airlines

Glad we cleared that up.

Then why did you say Lets face it - the EU did nothing when a member state's airline was shot down.

I'll be generous, losing to ten man Celtic is still affecting your critical faculties.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,690
    John_M said:

TGOHF said:

FF43 said:

Elliot said:

FF43 said:

Which airline was that?
    However the flight originated in the Netherlands and most of the passengers were Dutch nationals. The Dutch were in charge of the accident inquiry and got no cooperation from Russia.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

FF43 said:

Elliot said:

FF43 said:

Which airline was that?
    Pedant Airlines

Glad we cleared that up.

If the EU is so inoffensive to Putin, why is he so keen to break it up?
  • Options

STV poll

Seems to have bounced back well from the recent 'SNP dragon slain, indy on retreat' (© PB Yoons) situation.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,838
    Anorak said:

Why do you say that about Bianchi? Has it been established that it wouldn't have been strong enough? (it was a horrible thing to watch - one of those clips that i tracked down and then really wished I hadn't)
    Not even close enough to preventing the Bianchi accident, don’t watch that video if you haven’t already. Might have saved Justin Wilson and possibly John Surtees but someone is going to be seriously injured or worse by not being able to quickly jump clear from a car on fire. More research needed IMHO.
  • Options
    John_M said:

TGOHF said:

FF43 said:

Elliot said:

FF43 said:

Which airline was that?
    Well like Turkey, Malaysia has a lot Muslims, so I expect they've already signed their ascension treaty with the EU.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    Nigelb said:

I propose a compromise solution: Skripal was poisoned by MI5 whilst his daughter (and the public) were poisoned by the Russians
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Yes, those oligarchs who were prepared to cede power were allowed to keep their wealth; those who opposed him lost both their power and their wealth (and, often, in a series of unfortunate incidents, their lives too).
  • Options

Mr. Anorak, what I've heard from others (not my area of expertise) is that it was the sheer concussive force of going from high speed to no speed that caused the damage. F1 helmets are immensely strong already (decades ago I saw a feature about how one of Schumacher's could theoretically withstand being run over by a tank).

Bianchi's death was tragic, yet the sport's at risk of making itself more dangerous by pursuing a 'safety feature' that has some serious question marks about it. Making cars more difficult to evacuate, particularly given the potential for fire and electrical problems, and perhaps impossible if upside down, is not something that fills me with confidence.

Having regretfully seen the clip his head is struck by a metal protrusion of the (very, very sturdy) trackside vehicle. It wasn't just a massive deceleration from the car hitting something solid (although that happened too). But I am not an expert either so I can't speak with any authority on the matter.

I would, however, note that your second paragraph is almost exactly the same argument used against the mandatory fitting of seat-belts to cars, and later to their mandatory use.
  • Options
    We're expelling diplomats.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,918

Dura_Ace said:

Excellent idea! If Theresa can link British euro-scepticism with Putin's Russia in the public consciousness it will delivery her no end of political gifts. It would kill off UKIP for a start - who'd ever vote for them again in the knowledge that they were the poisoner's friend?
    Ah. Nice to see the lunatic fringe are out in force today.
  • Options

Andy Wigmore and Arron Banks?
  • Options
    I've always said he's a pillock, here's further proof, he's just a pound shop Jeremy Corbyn.

https://twitter.com/JakubKrupa/status/973888258638798848
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,122
    Pulpstar said:

Perhaps. But with talk of a boycott of Russia 2018 very definitely in the air and with Qatar at the centre of an Arab cold war, FIFA has an emerging crisis.

I think Qatar will be the bigger problem for FIFA.

There’s so many issues that might stop it happening.

Plus, just imagine if Israel qualifies.
    Should be OK shouldn't it, Qataris and Israelis both worship basically the same god :) !
    Money?
  • Options

And more
  • Options

I've always said he's a pillock, here's further proof, he's just a pound shop Jeremy Corbyn.

Is he the one Tories were told not to vote onto the Select Committee?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

If Russia chucks ours out in tit for tat, then that makes it much easier for us to say we have an inability to support UK tourists in Russia during the World Cup, so.....
  • Options

I was amazed at his attitude
  • Options

No, it's not. he was still arguing for appeasement in about 1944 - that time with the Soviet Union, even as it made clear its plans for the Eastern European states being occupied. He called Hitler wrong and failed to learn any of the lessons to apply to Stalin.

There have been some duffers as FS but most were down to their lack of impact (Margaret Beckett?) rather than being a genuinely baneful influence.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,394
    Interesting move go to UNSCR, of course Russia will just veto http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43402506
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Dura_Ace said:

Excellent idea! If Theresa can link British euro-scepticism with Putin's Russia in the public consciousness it will delivery her no end of political gifts. It would kill off UKIP for a start - who'd ever vote for them again in the knowledge that they were the poisoner's friend?
    Ah. Nice to see the lunatic fringe are out in force today.
    Pretty sick to use the events in Salisbury to push their Stop Brexit agenda regardless.....
  • Options
    Mr. Anorak, if an F1 driver is stuck in an overturned car that's on fire (unlikely but not impossible, we usually see a few fires a year) his thoughts won't be full of gratitude to the halo making him feel safe.
  • Options

Is he the one Tories were told not to vote onto the Select Committee?
    So the rumours say.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,044
    Paul Johnson suggesting £40bn of tax rises needed by 2025 to cut the deficit. Why? A lack of productivity, wage and GDP growth. I was struck by the fact that median earnings are still below the 2008 level.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43397798
  • Options

I thought he only defended dodgy regimes after receiving 'expenses'? Great to see him doing some pro bono work.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,915

No, it's not. he was still arguing for appeasement in about 1944 - that time with the Soviet Union, even as it made clear its plans for the Eastern European states being occupied. He called Hitler wrong and failed to learn any of the lessons to apply to Stalin.

There have been some duffers as FS but most were down to their lack of impact (Margaret Beckett?) rather than being a genuinely baneful influence.
    I would have said Boris is worse than Halifax. At least Halifax could be, so far as I’ve read, be relied upon to behave reasonably, even if politically he was a disaster. Anyway, wasn’t he quite good as Ambassador in Washington DC
  • Options

I would have said Boris is worse than Halifax. At least Halifax could be, so far as I’ve read, be relied upon to behave reasonably, even if politically he was a disaster. Anyway, wasn’t he quite good as Ambassador in Washington DC
    I think Halifax made his name brokering peace in Ireland, and in the twenties progressing the path to self rule in India. A curates egg rather than a disaster.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

FF43 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Pacifism was indeed the policy in the early thirties, but after the Italian war invasion of Ethiopia, Lansbury resigned in October 1935, and Attlee took over with support for rearmament. Appeasement of the Nazis came later, under the Tories.
    That's true. But it was a bit rich of Labour to oppose appeasement when two of the reasons for it were the lack of military resources, and the public opposition to action, both of which Labour (including Attlee) were in part responsible for.

It is, as an aside, I don't think it's true to say that "Attlee took over with support for rearmament"? If i remember correctly, the pacifist agenda outlived Lansbury and Labour fought the 1935 election on that platform - although Labour did start to move away from it a little earlier, endorsing sanctions over Abyssinia, which was what prompted Lansbury's removal.
  • Options

I thought he only defended dodgy regimes after receiving 'expenses'? Great to see him doing some pro bono work.
    We have the best parlimentarians that money can buy!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789

He'll probably blame Zionists.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2018
    FF43 said:

I said donations from people closely associated with the Russian regime. Facts do matter.
    Quite. There aren't any. There are some people who many years ago were associated with the Russian regime. I don't think any of them are friends of the Putin of today. Perhaps you know better?
  • Options

Mr. Anorak, if an F1 driver is stuck in an overturned car that's on fire (unlikely but not impossible, we usually see a few fires a year) his thoughts won't be full of gratitude to the halo making him feel safe.

You could argue that car seatbelts are a menace to those unfortunate enough to drive into a river, but it doesn't make them a bad idea.

I can't believe that this objection hasn't been discussed at great length by the various committees and approvers of the change, and thus that the consensus is that it does more good than harm.
  • Options
    Absolutely devastated by the death of Stephen Hawking.

He helped confirm my love of science, and physics in particular.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I'm surprised Farage hasn't, there's still time.
  • Options

Boris could potentially be quite good as Ambassador to the US. I could see him going down well there.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387

Not only lived long enough to be proved right, but also lived long enough to be proved wrong. Which is all a physicist can hope for.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935
    We will still go to the World Cup regardless, May will not want to annoy the wwc for whom it will be a highlight of their summer. Expulsions and financial sanctions are more likely
  • Options

STV poll

Seems to have bounced back well from the recent 'SNP dragon slain, indy on retreat' (© PB Yoons) situation.
    So still a clear No vote then but with Unionist parties set to win a majority at the next Holyrood elections indyref2 discussion is becoming irrelevant anyway
  • Options

You're not going to wheel out the hadron joke again, are you?
  • Options
    Anorak said:

You could argue that car seatbelts are a menace to those unfortunate enough to drive into a river, but it doesn't make them a bad idea.

I can't believe that this objection hasn't been discussed at great length by the various committees and approvers of the change, and thus that the consensus is that it does more good than harm.
    I may misremembering, but I'm pretty sure the 'impeding escape from a burning car' was an argument used against the compulsory use of seat belts in passenger cars.
  • Options
    At least we can rely on NATO to contain expansionist powers...
    https://twitter.com/hasavrat/status/973887244279930880
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

We will still go to the World Cup regardless, May will not want to annoy the wwc for whom it will be a highlight of their summer. Expulsions and financial sanctions are more likely

As a member of the working class, she'll be doing us a favour if she pulls us out of the world cup.

Have you seen how we did in the 2014 world cup and the 2016 Euros?

We were a national embarrassment.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

FF43 said:

Dura_Ace said:

That's true. But it was a bit rich of Labour to oppose appeasement when two of the reasons for it were the lack of military resources, and the public opposition to action, both of which Labour (including Attlee) were in part responsible for.

It is, as an aside, I don't think it's true to say that "Attlee took over with support for rearmament"? If i remember correctly, the pacifist agenda outlived Lansbury and Labour fought the 1935 election on that platform - although Labour did start to move away from it a little earlier, endorsing sanctions over Abyssinia, which was what prompted Lansbury's removal.
    Retrospectoscopes do distort our vision of the 1930s quite severely. The early thirties were internationally experienced as a crisis of Capitalism and the capability of Democracies to cope with it. It was only the second half of the Thirties that the external risks of totalitarian regimes became the major issue.

It is simply a matter of fact that Appeasment was the policy of the Tory government in the late Thirties, and until 1938 a fairly popular one. Labour were in opposition, and so cannot be blamed for it. Chamberlain may have been a poor PM but he was a very good CoE, so not all bad.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

STV poll

So still a clear No vote then but with Unionist parties set to win a majority at the next Holyrood elections indyref2 discussion is becoming irrelevant anyway
    Again, glad to see that you accept that an indy majority at Holyrood keeps the discussion 'relevant'.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

I'm wearing the t shirt with that joke on.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

I may misremembering, but I'm pretty sure the 'impeding escape from a burning car' was an argument used against the compulsory use of seat belts in passenger cars.

I may have already pointed that out :tongue:

Even more ridiculously, it was claimed it a seat belt would stop you being "thrown clear" of a crash.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

STV poll

Again, glad to see that you accept that an indy majority at Holyrood keeps the discussion 'relevant'.
    No as the SNP tried to push indyref2 at the general election and lost almost half their MPs thus giving Westminster a mandate to block it anyway
  • Options

We'll never hear his like again....
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited March 2018

Nope, my focus will be entirely looking to WWII.

I love giving PBers lessons in history.
    I suppose you could argue that the Remainers refusal to give up is like the Germans on the Western Front 1917-18.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

Sean_F said:

I'm surprised Farage hasn't, there's still time.
    Well, in a criminal investigation, you do seek proof beyond reasonable doubt instead of treating a suspect as guilty until proved innocent.

Unlike ricin or strychnine, the use of nerve agents is banned under international law. So ask the UN to do an analysis to establish if possible which national lab. it came from.

That should be acceptable to the Russians too. I think they wanted to do their own analysis. That is no more satisfactory than the UK position, because their analysis would presumably 'prove' that it didn't come from Russia.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

I may have already pointed that out :P

Even more ridiculously, it was claimed it a seat belt would stop you being "thrown clear" of a crash.
    Ah, sorry. I blame MD's aversion to using the quote system.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Nigelb said:

I propose a compromise solution: Skripal was poisoned by MI5 whilst his daughter (and the public) were poisoned by the Russians
    Ssh. That doesn’t happen until next week you fool!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

STV poll

No as the SNP tried to push indyref2 at the general election and lost almost half their MPs thus giving Westminster a mandate to block it anyway
    By my reckoning 35 out of 59 is a majority...
  • Options
    edited March 2018

HYUFD said:

As a member of the working class, she'll be doing us a favour if she pulls us out of the world cup.

Have you seen how we did in the 2014 world cup and the 2016 Euros?

We were a national embarrassment.
    If you are working class, a privately and Oxbridge educated lawyer whose father was a doctor, then so is the Queen!

The working class love putting the bunting out in the summer and having a bbq when the World Cup is on even if our biggest achievement ends up being beating Latvia at the group stage in extra time
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

STV poll

https://tinyurl.com/y8uvaa7n
  • Options

Anorak said:

I'm wearing the t shirt with that joke on.
    A photon checks into a hotel.
    "Can I help you with your suitcase?"
    "No, I'm travelling light."
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

STV poll

37% of the vote certainly is not
  • Options
    Mr. Anorak, F1 cars are rather scarcer and travel on different surfaces to normal cars. Comparing the two isn't much use.

Great leaps forward have been made in safety over recent decades, but F1 bigwigs have also shown themselves to be utterly incapable of grasping obvious problems with rule changes. The elimination qualifying experiment, that everyone said would be woeful, turned out to be woeful.

I hope I'm not proved right, but there are serious question marks over the halo.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

STV poll

And 21 isn't 'almost half' of 56.
This discussion has been closed.