Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » So crunch day on Russia for the PM

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Welsh NHS again sinking Corbyn making points on the NHS....
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

Ah, sorry. I blame MD's aversion to using the quote system.

For a man who presumably still travels by horse, the use of HTML is just a step too far.
  • Options
    Is Corbyn for real - I accept that I do not support him but today he is again being taken to the cleaners by TM
  • Options

Is Corbyn for real - I accept that I do not support him but today he is again being taken to the cleaners by TM

on the NHS....

This is akin to last night's Man Utd performance
  • Options

Mr. Anorak, F1 cars are rather scarcer and travel on different surfaces to normal cars. Comparing the two isn't much use.

Great leaps forward have been made in safety over recent decades, but F1 bigwigs have also shown themselves to be utterly incapable of grasping obvious problems with rule changes. The elimination qualifying experiment, that everyone said would be woeful, turned out to be woeful.

I hope I'm not proved right, but there are serious question marks over the halo.

Fair enough. As I say, I'm not really in a position to speak authoritatively. Although, being the internet, it's not going to stop me trying.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

Absolutely devastated by the death of Stephen Hawking.

He helped confirm my love of science, and physics in particular.

You're not going to wheel out the hadron joke again, are you?
    I'm wearing the t shirt with that joke on.
    A photon checks into a hotel.
    "Can I help you with your suitcase?"
    "No, I'm travelling light."
    "What can I get you?" says the bartender.
    A tachyon walks into a bar.
  • Options

on the NHS....

And that was atrocious
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

STV poll

Seems to have bounced back well from the recent 'SNP dragon slain, indy on retreat' (© PB Yoons) situation.
    So still a clear No vote then but with Unionist parties set to win a majority at the next Holyrood elections indyref2 discussion is becoming irrelevant anyway
    Again, glad to see that you accept that an indy majority at Holyrood keeps the discussion 'relevant'.
    No as the SNP tried to push indyref2 at the general election and lost almost half their MPs thus giving Westminster a mandate to block it anyway
    By my reckoning 35 out of 59 is a majority...
    And 21 isn't 'almost half' of 56.
    It was the second biggest loss of MPs in Scotland by a party at a general election since WW2 after 2015
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Anorak, my horse is called Doris. Doris Prancer.

Mr. Anorak (2), indeed :)
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,107
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

STV poll

Seems to have bounced back well from the recent 'SNP dragon slain, indy on retreat' (© PB Yoons) situation.
    So still a clear No vote then but with Unionist parties set to win a majority at the next Holyrood elections indyref2 discussion is becoming irrelevant anyway
    Again, glad to see that you accept that an indy majority at Holyrood keeps the discussion 'relevant'.
    No as the SNP tried to push indyref2 at the general election and lost almost half their MPs thus giving Westminster a mandate to block it anyway
    It was the second biggest loss of MPs in Scotland by a party at a general election since WW2 after 2015
    Still, 21 isn't 'almost half' of 56.
    But you keep saying it if it comforts you.
  • Options

on the NHS....

I had it more akin to Spurs v Juventus.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    "The working class love putting the bunting out in the summer and having a bbq when the World Cup is on even if our biggest achievement ends up being beating Latvia at the group stage in extra time."

This - from @HYUFD - is wonderful. God bless the working class with its bunting and BBQs.
  • Options

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

Two atoms were walking across a road when one of them said, "I think I lost an electron!"
    "Really!" the other replied, "Are you sure?"
    "Yes, I 'm absolutely positive."

[yours was better, I admit!]
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,107

"The working class love putting the bunting out in the summer and having a bbq when the World Cup is on even if our biggest achievement ends up being beating Latvia at the group stage in extra time."

This - from @HYUFD - is wonderful. God bless the working class with its bunting and BBQs.

Thornberry-esque.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Well go past any council estate in England or terraced street in the North and Midlands when the World Cup is on and you will see my point
  • Options

on the NHS....

We scored, had triple the number of shots and double the number of shots on target than Juve... I think Man U's performance closer to the 'absolute boy' today (tm St Hodges)
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

Two atoms were walking across a road when one of them said, "I think I lost an electron!"
    "Really!" the other replied, "Are you sure?"
    "Yes, I 'm absolutely positive."

[yours was better, I admit!]
    Have you heard that entropy isn't what it used to be?
  • Options
    I used a variation of this as a chat up line to a physics student.

You should never date quantum physicists because they are bad lovers?

Because when they find the position, they can't find the momentum, and when they have the momentum, they can't find the position.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,630
    HYUFD said:

Well go past any council estate in England or terraced street in the North and Midlands when the World Cup is on and you will see my point
    I would, but am concerned that I might upset the Royal Wedding street parties and whippet races.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

STV poll

and still a majority, suck it up we know what Tories are up here, without their Labour buddies helping them next time it will be circling the drain time and Buffalo Bill will be off
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

I would, but am concerned that I might upset the Royal Wedding street parties and whippet races.
    I thought you were going to be in Russia for the World Cup
  • Options

on the NHS....

We scored, had triple the number of shots and double the number of shots on target than Juve... I think Man U's performance closer to the 'absolute boy' today (tm St Hodges)
    Six times, we're going to win it six times in Kiev this May.

(I hope)
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Fortunately the Royal Wedding is the month before
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

You've just patronised the working class to win an inch of their lives.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

STV poll

and still a majority, suck it up we know what Tories are up here, without their Labour buddies helping them next time it will be circling the drain time and Buffalo Bill will be off
    You are funny Maic
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,221
    Laura K's tweet is followed by a comment from someone saying the whole thing is a joke.

His handle describes him as a conspiracy theorist.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,630

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

I thought you were going to be in Russia for the World Cup
    I am, but only for the Semis and Final.

Football combined with viewing the sites of the October revolution is the plan.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,674
    May seems a bit nervous today - dealt with Corbyn fine, but I wonder if her statement on Salisbury is weighing on her mind.....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

One to miss for sure , all those inbred halfwits and the moronic sheeple cheering , no thanks.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I take grave exception to the SW not being patronised within an inch of our lives too. We equally know how to fly a flag and fire up a BBQ too!
  • Options

May seems a bit nervous today - dealt with Corbyn fine, but I wonder if her statement on Salisbury is weighing on her mind.....

May always seems a bit nervy at PMQs.
  • Options

I cannot even think how she can deal with some of the questions when she is about to deliver a very serious and sombre statement
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,945
    Anorak said:

Mr. Anorak, if an F1 driver is stuck in an overturned car that's on fire (unlikely but not impossible, we usually see a few fires a year) his thoughts won't be full of gratitude to the halo making him feel safe.

You could argue that car seatbelts are a menace to those unfortunate enough to drive into a river, but it doesn't make them a bad idea.

I can't believe that this objection hasn't been discussed at great length by the various committees and approvers of the change, and thus that the consensus is that it does more good than harm.
    I don't think it even needs discussing. Having done over 1500 hours flying as a passenger in helicopters including one ditching in the Mediterranean, I am certain I would not feel at all safe flying in one without seat belts. These days in the North Sea that means a quick release 4 point harness. It is possible there could be some debate about the type of seatbelt being used on the New York chopper but the basic point needs to be made that you only get to worry about drowning if you survive the impact and seat belts are vital part of making sure you do survive.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

At least we can rely on NATO to contain expansionist powers...
    https://twitter.com/hasavrat/status/973887244279930880

lol - Turkey, the enemy within (NATO)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    That reminds me that Vitaly Churkin died suddenly around a year ago, and he wasn't the only one.

https://edition.cnn.com/2017/03/24/europe/dead-russians/index.html
  • Options

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

STV poll

You are funny Maic
    It is the Truth G, they are shocking, only saving grace for them is the state of Labour , they make even the Tories look just duffers.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

One to miss for sure , all those inbred halfwits and the moronic sheeple cheering , no thanks.
    I shall be joining my cruise ship in Rome at the time of the wedding so really looking forward to the 19th May for very different reasons
  • Options

May always seems a bit nervy at PMQs.
    She is crap so understandable.
  • Options

That reminds me that Vitaly Churkin died suddenly around a year ago, and he wasn't the only one.

https://edition.cnn.com/2017/03/24/europe/dead-russians/index.html
    За здоровье Константи́н ;)
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

STV poll

You are funny Maic
    It is the Truth G, they are shocking, only saving grace for them is the state of Labour , they make even the Tories look just duffers.
    I do enjoy your posts Malc
  • Options

I cannot even think how she can deal with some of the questions when she is about to deliver a very serious and sombre statement
    G, it should be simple , just get up do a Rambo and say the Ruskies are going to get a good skelping for this.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

G, it should be simple , just get up do a Rambo and say the Ruskies are going to get a good skelping for this.
    Skelping - great use of the Scots language
  • Options
  • Options
    "unlawful use of force" against the UK.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. NorthWales, I heard somewhere that during the war, Welshmen were specially employed to converse over the telephone, as the Germans had no idea what they were saying.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Pulpstar said:
    Not sure what they can veto in terms of procedure but they can veto pretty much any action
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

malcolmg said:

Skelping - great use of the Scots language
    Just as long as it doesn't degenerate into a stairheid rammy.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

Mr. NorthWales, I heard somewhere that during the war, Welshmen were specially employed to converse over the telephone, as the Germans had no idea what they were saying.

The Americans hired Navajo speakers to confuse the Japanese in WWII for the same reason.

And officers in the British Raj would sometimes communicate in Greek or Latin.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    23 Russian diplomats to be expelled from UK and high level contacts with Russia suspended.

England will still go to World Cup but no Royal or official delegation with them.

Good start from May
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    And murdering people in UK restaurants wasn't.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2018
    From Guardian love blog:

May says 23 Russian diplomats will be expelled. They have been identified as undeclared intelligence officers. It will be the largest explusion for 30 years. They will have a week to leave, she says.

May says the government will draw up legislation to protect the UK from hostile state activity.

The government will consider new anti-espionage legislation, she says.

May says the government will include Magnitsky-type amendments to the sanctions bill.

She says the government will increase checks on Russians coming into the country.

She says there is “no place” for the corrupt elites in the UK.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited March 2018
    Not all measures against Russia will be shared publicly for national security purposes.

Hmm.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Although to be fair I have some connection to them, my great grandfather was a bookie
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

STV poll

Labour is still a Unionist Party and polls predict a majority for Unionist Parties at the next Scottish Parliament elections
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Corbyn still sticking up for the Ruskies.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306
    edited March 2018
    Very different tone from Corbyn today.

I spoke too soon.
  • Options
    Corbyn is Putin's agent
  • Options
    Corbyn AGAIN getting the tone very wrong. Where is the condemnation of Putin?
  • Options
    Corbyn losing the House
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Corbyn is quite simply the most useful idiot in Britain for the Russian cause.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Utter humiliation for 90% of Labour MPs here.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,945
    And yet again Corbyn gets it wrong. I do wish we had an opposition leader who actually provided realistic and proper opposition.
  • Options
    I'm sure it can all be resolved over a cup of tea and a biscuit with that nice Mr Putin.
  • Options
    Am I safe from the blast radius of 3 missiles targeting London, Barrow and the Clyde in Sheffield ?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Appeasement was a Conservative party policy...

Unilateral disarmament was a Labour one, in both the 1930s and the 1980s - the latter supported by Corbyn both then and now, I think.
    Pacifism was indeed the policy in the early thirties, but after the Italian war invasion of Ethiopia, Lansbury resigned in October 1935, and Attlee took over with support for rearmament. Appeasement of the Nazis came later, under the Tories.
    That's true. But it was a bit rich of Labour to oppose appeasement when two of the reasons for it were the lack of military resources, and the public opposition to action, both of which Labour (including Attlee) were in part responsible for.

It is, as an aside, I don't think it's true to say that "Attlee took over with support for rearmament"? If i remember correctly, the pacifist agenda outlived Lansbury and Labour fought the 1935 election on that platform - although Labour did start to move away from it a little earlier, endorsing sanctions over Abyssinia, which was what prompted Lansbury's removal.
    Retrospectoscopes do distort our vision of the 1930s quite severely. The early thirties were internationally experienced as a crisis of Capitalism and the capability of Democracies to cope with it. It was only the second half of the Thirties that the external risks of totalitarian regimes became the major issue.

It is simply a matter of fact that Appeasment was the policy of the Tory government in the late Thirties, and until 1938 a fairly popular one. Labour were in opposition, and so cannot be blamed for it. Chamberlain may have been a poor PM but he was a very good CoE, so not all bad.
    Yes, and he was an outstanding Secretary of State for Health.

But while the majority of the responsibility for Britain's fairly abject preparations for WWII are inevitably the fault of the government, the extent to which military expenditure was restrained by public opposition, which was led by Labour, shouldn't be ignored.

It's certainly true that the early 1930s were a different era from the second half but the fact that Labour was still championing disarmament and pacifism through to 1935, when Hitler had been in power for nearly three years, and when he had embarked on a major remilitarisation programme showed a tremendous unreality.

In truth, we quite probably face a similar position today. Defence spending needs to increase.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,674
    'His behaviour demeans his Office' (Corbyn of Johnson)

Said pot to Kettle
  • Options
    Happens to us all. Found the wife's anthrax supply down the back of the sofa only last Tuesday. How we laughed.
  • Options
    Andrew Sparrow has gone silent on the Guardian live blog. Can't blame him, I suppose.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067

Corbyn AGAIN getting the tone very wrong. Where is the condemnation of Putin?

There is still a possibility that Jeremy Corbyn might have lost the nerve.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Am I safe from the blast radius of 3 missiles targeting London, Barrow and the Clyde in Sheffield ?

Directly yes, indirectly no.
  • Options
    How long can labour mps put up with Corbyn
  • Options

I'm sure it can all be resolved over a cup of tea and a biscuit with that nice Mr Putin.
    Don’t drink the tea!!
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Pulpstar said:

Directly yes, indirectly no.
    The more realistic concern is how this could escalate to affect some contracts we have in Russia.
  • Options
    corbyn is a piece of work.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Perhaps JC should reveal his contact with the Russian Government rather than asking about TM's - utterly disgraceful response
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    I've no doubt that if Corbyn was the PM he'd believe every lie coming from the Kremlin.
  • Options
    TM just hit Corbyn hard
  • Options
    Charles said:

This is her Chamberlain moment isn't it?

To be fair to Chamberlain, he had several 'moment's to respond to. He was PM when Poland was invaded as much as when the Sudentenland was threatened.
    Depends how events turn out this weekend I might finally get to do my 'Boris Johnson, the worst Foreign Secretary since Lord Halifax' piece.

It'll be a World War II themed weekend, I've got a Dunkirk themed thread almost written.
    As long as it's not World War III themed.

(This does give me my chance to argue that we've either already had WW3 or we've not yet had WW2).
    Nope, my focus will be entirely looking to WWII.

I love giving PBers lessons in history.
    I suppose you could argue that the Remainers refusal to give up is like the Germans on the Western Front 1917-18.
    The Germans could have had a half-decent chance of winning on the Western front in 1917. Russia was all but knocked out, the French army had been bled dry after Verdun and was mutinous, and the Americans hadn't yet arrived.

Even in 1918, their offensive got within a long shot of Paris, though was probably always doomed to fail short of a French civil collapse, in a way that a similar 1917 offensive might not have been.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

What? Mrs May actually said that, Mr Navabi?

She is right of course.... but what then will happen to the Conservative Party?
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
  • Options
    Looks like RT keeps it’s license for now. Salmond will be relieved.
  • Options
    my boys up talking sense as ever
  • Options
    PClipp said:

There are times when political point scoring is childish
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    Corbyn’s craven words will draw attention away from the fact that the government has actually done little to attack the Russians where it will actually hurt.
  • Options

my boys up talking sense as ever

He always does.
  • Options

Corbyn’s craven words will draw attention away from the fact that the government has actually done little to attack the Russians where it will actually hurt.

It seems a suitable initial response. What else do you think she should do?
  • Options
    Ian Blackford gets it, Jeremy Corbyn should take note.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

Action against Russian interests in the City would only strengthen Putin's position in Russia, as he shows Russian mineral wealth pouring into lavish houses in Mayfair
  • Options

Charles said:

This is her Chamberlain moment isn't it?

To be fair to Chamberlain, he had several 'moment's to respond to. He was PM when Poland was invaded as much as when the Sudentenland was threatened.
    Depends how events turn out this weekend I might finally get to do my 'Boris Johnson, the worst Foreign Secretary since Lord Halifax' piece.

It'll be a World War II themed weekend, I've got a Dunkirk themed thread almost written.
    As long as it's not World War III themed.

(This does give me my chance to argue that we've either already had WW3 or we've not yet had WW2).
    Nope, my focus will be entirely looking to WWII.

I love giving PBers lessons in history.
    I suppose you could argue that the Remainers refusal to give up is like the Germans on the Western Front 1917-18.
    The Germans could have had a half-decent chance of winning on the Western front in 1917. Russia was all but knocked out, the French army had been bled dry after Verdun and was mutinous, and the Americans hadn't yet arrived.

Even in 1918, their offensive got within a long shot of Paris, though was probably always doomed to fail short of a French civil collapse, in a way that a similar 1917 offensive might not have been.
    We tend to forget the catastrophe of Nivelles' 1917 Chemin des Dames offensive, which effectively destroyed the French army's fighting spirit.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

How long can labour mps put up with Corbyn

The vast majority never wanted him in the first place but it is Labour members who keep Corbyn in place
  • Options
    Ian Blackford again impresses
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

PClipp said:

I am glad you realise that, Mr Wal

PClipp said:

I am glad you realise that, Mr Wales. At last!
  • Options

on the NHS....

I claim credit by bigging up his confidence and improved ability a couple of weeks ago. it's all gone wrong for him since then.
This discussion has been closed.