Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » So crunch day on Russia for the PM

123457»

Comments

• Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

Skys beth rigby basically just said in corbyns response he used all of russia's attack likes against the uk. He hasnt been meeting eastern European diplomats again has he?

I expect Milne has...
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/973949652428042240

Usual suspects or a wider group, time will tell.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105

MaxPB said:

Your comments are not accurate.

As far as I can tell you’re claiming that I (who am ignorant, stupid etc) think Brexit has led to the Salisbury poisoning. But I’m not, and I don’t think anyone is saying that.

What I am saying is that of course Brexit weakens the Western alliance, specifically the European arm. That’s relevant in respect of Russia policy.

I’m not sure why this is controversial. Indeed this is why Putin and his trolls have supported Brexit (and, inter alia, Scottish independence, Le Pen, Five Star, Trump etc etc etc etc).

Honest leavers would chalk this up as regrettable but perhaps necessary.

You can't weaken resolve that doesn't exist.
    There is a form of Brexit-ism which suggests that since the EU cannot reform democratically; cannot liberalise when it comes to trade etc - then it is not worth bothering with and we should walk away.

This is a species of that argument.

However, the problems is Europe is not going anywhere; the EU exists. We have to deal with it, trade with it, and partner with it - in or out.

Clearly, we have less influence out.
    We had no influence in. Why should we have less out?
    When it comes down to it, Brexitism is one long sulk. “We had no influence in.” I mean, really?
    The trouble is it can’t be argued with, it’s a faith-based ideology.
    Nah. Remainderdom is the Incredible Sulk.
  • Options
    Looks like the moderates are in open rebellion. they're creating a motion blaming outright Russia
  • Options

Tom Newton Dunn
    ‏VERIFIED ACCOUNT @tnewtondunn
    4 mins4 minutes ago

I am told by a senior Labour source that two shadow ministers are now considering their positions after Jeremy Corbyn's refusal to blame Russia for #Salisbury today.
  • Options
    Laura Kuenssberg

Rumour that some Labour shadow front benchers might resign over the leader's statement today - let's wait and see - certainly a lot of anger around - uneasy truce in Labour party since election has been trashed by different instincts over Skripal case
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721

Laura Kuenssberg

Rumour that some Labour shadow front benchers might resign

Again? Change the record, Labour MPs.

• Options
    ToryJim said:

Comrade Livingstone shilling for Putin.... https://twitter.com/journostephen/status/973940719382597634?s=21

What a liar he is - the news pieces which did background on Crimea were pretty clear.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

(This does give me my chance to argue that we've either already had WW3 or we've not yet had WW2).

Am I right in thinking that in the latter case, you argue that WWI was a European civil war, and WWII was therefore WWI?

What about the former?

Yes. I'd argue that either:

- A 'world war' really has to be a global conflict, in which case there's only ever been one: 1937-45 (or 1941-45, if you prefer the actual global period).

or

- A 'world war' is one that involves the majority of the global powers fighting to the effective limits of their military and financial capacity (and those limits have to be understood in their historical contexts), even if the area within which the fighting takes place is more localised. On that basis, I'd argue that there've been at least four, with the French Revolutionary / Napoleonic Wars forming one, and the Seven Years War being another, though you can potentially make arguments for others too.
    Why would the Seven Years war not count under your first definition? It was fought on 5 of the 7 continents which is only one less than WW2. It also fulfils your second definition of course.
    I'd argue that the scale of the fighting in the Seven Years War outside Europe was insufficent to count as a general conflict: it was essentially a European war carried on out of area, rather than an equivalent of the European war. The contrast is with the number of Americans, Chinese, Japanese, Indians and so on who fought in WW2, for example.
    I suppose I think that is only a matter of the technology available at the time although I take your point. I am just not sure how it can be differentiated.
    FWIW, I'd argue that both the Seven Years War and the 1792-1815 War *should* count, and that WWII was really WWIV (at least - there's also an argument for the Thirty Years War and the overlapping War of Spanish Succession / Great Northern War, though I'd say not as both were European / Europe-plus rather than genuinely global.

But to put the case against, it'd be that whereas in WW2, the non-European countries mobilised to near the maximum of their capability, in the Seven Years War, the Indian and American troops raised / allies gathered were much more limited.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    JWisemann said:

RobD said:

JWisemann said:

As with everything else over the last few years, I will be proven correct and the buffoons of the Westminster bubble and their wannabes here will be proven idiotic once again.

Just because a few recalcitrant members of the PLP - who seem practically sexually excited by war, any war, and will largely be deselected by next election - are sucking up to May’s ludicrous and hysterical grandstanding, doesn’t mean that there aren’t a large sensible portion of the population who are either not interested or see this as the deluded and discredited establishment getting up to their usual B&M Bargains-version-of-1984 hysterical antics.

Expelling diplomats is "ludicrous and hysterical grandstanding"?
    It is when you haven't seemingly got any concrete proof that the Russian government has done anything yet, yes.
    Don't they? They seem pretty sure of who the culprit is. Unless you are privy to such information, of course.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. Jim, there may be roubles ahead...
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

RobD said:

JWisemann said:

As with everything else over the last few years, I will be proven correct and the buffoons of the Westminster bubble and their wannabes here will be proven idiotic once again.

Just because a few recalcitrant members of the PLP - who seem practically sexually excited by war, any war, and will largely be deselected by next election - are sucking up to May’s ludicrous and hysterical grandstanding, doesn’t mean that there aren’t a large sensible portion of the population who are either not interested or see this as the deluded and discredited establishment getting up to their usual B&M Bargains-version-of-1984 hysterical antics.

Expelling diplomats is "ludicrous and hysterical grandstanding"?
    It is when you haven't seemingly got any concrete proof that the Russian government has done anything yet, yes.
    And what would be concrete proof, in your eyes? Bearing in mind proving anything 100% is likely to be impossible, and sound reasoning has been provided for suspicion (as well as an alternate explanation which does not involve direct culpability being offered).
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    Ishmael_Z said:

As far as I can tell you’re claiming that I (who am ignorant, stupid etc) think Brexit has led to the Salisbury poisoning. But I’m not, and I don’t think anyone is saying that.

What I am saying is that of course Brexit weakens the Western alliance, specifically the European arm. That’s relevant in respect of Russia policy.

I’m not sure why this is controversial. Indeed this is why Putin and his trolls have supported Brexit (and, inter alia, Scottish independence, Le Pen, Five Star, Trump etc etc etc etc).

"Brexit weakens the Western alliance, specifically the European arm." Tellingly careful wording, because if there is a Western alliance, it's NATO, but you daren't call it that because doing so makes it all too obvious how wrong the claim is. What weakens NATO, perhaps fatally, is Donald Trump; the EU doesn't come in to it. Not saying it won't in 20 years time if NATO leaves a gap that needs filling, but there is nothing about the EU at present that suggests that it would want to be or be capable of being a proper military superpower.
    No.

The Western alliance, at least what I mean by it, is an informal grouping of advanced, liberal democracies.

Underpinning it is primarily US military might, along with a host of security treaties - certainly the most important is NATO - but agreements like Five Eyes play their role too.

But it’s not restricted to military and security measures. There are a whole host of trading, financial, and cultural institutions underpinning the whole thing. Undoubtedly the EU is one of the most important parts of the architecture.

Of course the EU is not a defensive treaty, but it is an essential forum for trade, economic and foreign policy alignment on the continent.

I rather give NATO (and US power) the ultimate credit for peace in Europe these last fifty years. But if I look at the advance of wealth and democracy in Eastern Europe especially it is impossible to avoid the role of the EU.

But we are walking away from that.
    Whether the EU measures up to its ambition is one thing, but to dismiss it as worthless and our involvement as futile is really ignorant.
  • Options

Laura Kuenssberg

Rumour that some Labour shadow front benchers might resign over the leader's statement today - let's wait and see - certainly a lot of anger around - uneasy truce in Labour party since election has been trashed by different instincts over Skripal case

Today may well go down as the start of the end of Corbyn and the return to a sensible centre left labour party with all the benefits that would follow for the good of the Country
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

MaxPB said:

There is a form of Brexit-ism which suggests that since the EU cannot reform democratically; cannot liberalise when it comes to trade etc - then it is not worth bothering with and we should walk away.

However, the problems is Europe is not going anywhere; the EU exists. We have to deal with it, trade with it, and partner with it - in or out.

When it comes down to it, Brexitism is one long sulk. “We had no influence in.” I mean, really?
    When that claim is made in this forum, the shark has truly been jumped.
  • Options
    JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082
    The level of hysterical froth and the reaction of the likes of Ruth Smeeth are a very good guide to how badly Corbyn is doing. The amount of spittle is usually inversely proportional to the real world result.
  • Options
    Is one of the changes made by hand to that motion being to change '&' to 'and'? I'm not a fan of the ampersand either, but a curious revision deemed necessary.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,407

Mr. Jim, there may be roubles ahead...

Mr Dancer indeed
  • Options

Laura Kuenssberg

one of them is sure to be Lord Falconer.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ToryJim said:

Comrade Livingstone shilling for Putin.... https://twitter.com/journostephen/status/973940719382597634?s=21

What a liar he is - the news pieces which did background on Crimea were pretty clear.
    No, he is perfectly correct that Crimea was once part of Russia. It was transferred to the Ukraine by the USSR in 1954.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    In other news....

Broadcaster and comedian Jim Bowen, best known for hosting darts-based game show Bullseye in the 1980s and '90s, has died at the age of 80.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105

Laura Kuenssberg

Today may well go down as the start of the end of Corbyn and the return to a sensible centre left labour party with all the benefits that would follow for the good of the Country
    If Putin causes that, then our irony-meters are all going to need recalibrating......
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

The level of hysterical froth and the reaction of the likes of Ruth Smeeth are a very good guide to how badly Corbyn is doing. The amount of spittle is usually inversely proportional to the real world result.

You sound more rattled after each post
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

Hard to know which of you and Lord Adonis is a bigger blow to the nominative determinists.
  • Options
    So the Shadow Cabinet didn't resile from Corbyn's pro-Putinism. Shame on the lot of them.
    https://twitter.com/samcoatestimes/status/973945269866913793?s=21
  • Options

Laura Kuenssberg

People will forget all the furore by next week, popping up occasionally whenever updates on Salisbury occur. I happen to think even if Russia is not responsible then from what we've been told of the evidence it is reasonable to demand answers from them, and they and their supporters pouting and throwing toys out of the pram (pretending it is all anti-russian hysteria, as if everyone really loves cold war fantasies, which is bollocks) and despite their words in effect refusing to cooperate will not change that. BUT there will be people who agree with the man, outrage will calm, and generally disruption is not liked, so sooner or later people will not be as angered by a purportedly more 'reasoned' response.
  • Options

Laura Kuenssberg

Almost Comical Ali levels of wishful thinking.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    JWisemann said:

kle4 said:

ToryJim said:

No, he is perfectly correct that Crimea was once part of Russia. It was transferred to the Ukraine by the USSR in 1954.
    How is it relevant it was once part of Russia?

So was the whole of Ukraine.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    JWisemann said:

Laura Kuenssberg

Almost Comical Ali levels of wishful thinking.
    Satire is dead
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    JWisemann said:

kle4 said:

ToryJim said:

That is not what he was lying about - I know that Crimea was once part of Russia. Do you know how I know that? Because it was mentioned plenty of times in news reports at the time. I am sure it was not mentioned every single time the Crimea came up, but it was clearly reported. And he will know that. So he is a liar.

I think sometimes you react too quickly to defend what you think is one attack on Russia, without realising that what is being said is something else. He has made a very specific claim about the media, which will be easy to refute I have no doubt.
  • Options
    prh47bridgeprh47bridge Posts: 441
    JWisemann said:

kle4 said:

ToryJim said:

No, the lie is his claim that the media didn't mention this. They did. Repeatedly.
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

kle4 said:

ToryJim said:

Lying about not mentioning it was kle4’s point.
  • Options
    Sam Coates Times
    ‏VERIFIED ACCOUNT @SamCoatesTimes

The Press Association has named Seumas Milne as the Jeremy Corbyn spokesman who said that the history of the UK intelligence agencies is "problematic"

No s*** Sherlock....
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

MaxPB said:

Not at all.

Brexitism is really a long whinge along the lines that it’s not fair, the Europeans won’t do as we tell them.

That’s why - ideologically - it is primarily nostalgic in focus, mostly supported by the older and less educated, and despite talk of Singapore-on-Sea, decidedly lacking in any concrete vision or practical detail.

By Christ, the Europeans even have to write the exit agreement for us.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,202
    JWisemann said:

kle4 said:

ToryJim said:

Missing the point. He lied when he said that the British media did not mention that Crimea had been part of Russia.

Curious also that you pick out Ruth Smeeth MP in your criticism of the draft EDM. Why her I wonder?

• Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited March 2018
    JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

If I were stuck in a Moscow troll-farm, I'd be hitting the vodka too......
    I wish mate, having to rip fools a new one on my own dime unfortunately.
    Does "having to rip fools a new one" now mean "everyone pointing and laughing at me" nowadays? It can be difficult to keep up, sometimes.
  • Options
    Sky and BBC makes dreadful reporting for Corbyn with his mp's hitting out hard against him. Latest is Stephen Kinnock holding back no punches against Corbyn and demanding he stands up for the Country
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,936

(This does give me my chance to argue that we've either already had WW3 or we've not yet had WW2).

Am I right in thinking that in the latter case, you argue that WWI was a European civil war, and WWII was therefore WWI?

What about the former?

Yes. I'd argue that either:

- A 'world war' really has to be a global conflict, in which case there's only ever been one: 1937-45 (or 1941-45, if you prefer the actual global period).

or

- A 'world war' is one that involves the majority of the global powers fighting to the effective limits of their military and financial capacity (and those limits have to be understood in their historical contexts), even if the area within which the fighting takes place is more localised. On that basis, I'd argue that there've been at least four, with the French Revolutionary / Napoleonic Wars forming one, and the Seven Years War being another, though you can potentially make arguments for others too.
    Why would the Seven Years war not count under your first definition? It was fought on 5 of the 7 continents which is only one less than WW2. It also fulfils your second definition of course.
    I'd argue that the scale of the fighting in the Seven Years War outside Europe was insufficent to count as a general conflict: it was essentially a European war carried on out of area, rather than an equivalent of the European war. The contrast is with the number of Americans, Chinese, Japanese, Indians and so on who fought in WW2, for example.
    I suppose I think that is only a matter of the technology available at the time although I take your point. I am just not sure how it can be differentiated.
    FWIW, I'd argue that both the Seven Years War and the 1792-1815 War *should* count, and that WWII was really WWIV (at least - there's also an argument for the Thirty Years War and the overlapping War of Spanish Succession / Great Northern War, though I'd say not as both were European / Europe-plus rather than genuinely global.

But to put the case against, it'd be that whereas in WW2, the non-European countries mobilised to near the maximum of their capability, in the Seven Years War, the Indian and American troops raised / allies gathered were much more limited.
    Again fair comment. I think I do prefer the idea that the 7 Years War and French Revolutionary/Napoleonic wars were world wars, if only because making WW2 into WW4 would make more people ask about the earlier ones and so learn some history. :)

• Options

Sam Coates Times

The Press Association has named Seumas Milne as the Jeremy Corbyn spokesman who said that the history of the UK intelligence agencies is "problematic"

No s*** Sherlock....

Traitor.....
  • Options
    RobD said:

JWisemann said:

kle4 said:

ToryJim said:

Lying about not mentioning it was kle4’s point.
    On an entirely unrelated point, it is amazing how those with such incredible vision and clarity to see to the truth of a situation at all times, in the face of unremitting hostility from the masses, can miss what is directly in front of them sometimes.
  • Options

And that is where you are wrong. If you are saying that this is relevant to Russian policy in the context of this poisoning - and that is clearly what is being said in the comments you were initially defending (Why here and why now) then you are saying that Brexit made this event more likely. That is the basic logical conclusion of your claim - and that of Logical Song and Alastair Meeks.

But the rejoinder to that is that if that is the case then why was a similar attack launched by Russia against Litvinenko long before Brexit ever became an issue? The patterns are basically identical and vary only in their choice of banned substance.

Like I said, your response is thoroughly dishonest. You insinuate a connection and then deny such a claim when challenged.
    Nope you’re flat out wrong, as from what I read from Mr Meeks and Song, you’re wrong about them too.
    Like I said, keep crawling away.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,712
    Cyclefree said:

JWisemann said:

Hello Jezzah! All well at the allotment?
    ;-)
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

MaxPB said:

Not at all.

Brexitism is really a long whinge along the lines that it’s not fair, the Europeans won’t do as we tell them.

That’s why - ideologically - it is primarily nostalgic in focus, mostly supported by the older and less educated, and despite talk of Singapore-on-Sea, decidedly lacking in any concrete vision or practical detail.

I don’t think the UK is involved in drafting the document.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Nope. You are really making a fool of yourself today. The EU was the religion - or more accurately a cult - and we are the atheists.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

MaxPB said:

Not at all.

I don't think you understand the mechanics of drafting agreements. And I never saw a Leave argument advanced which said that "it’s not fair, the Europeans won’t do as we tell them. " Why would anyone have made such a ludicrous claim when we were one of 28 equal parties?
  • Options

Sky and BBC makes dreadful reporting for Corbyn with his mp's hitting out hard against him. Latest is Stephen Kinnock holding back no punches against Corbyn and demanding he stands up for the Country

Corbyn's spinners would be advised to go the Banks route and talk about how right he is on non-intervention and, therefore, dialling down rhetoric in general. Loads will not be satisfied with that, but there will be a market for that line of thinking, and his base has prviously been immune to being concerned when his MPs get angry with him. Heck, I know people who have expressed that it was just the attempted execution of a traitor in any case, what's the big deal. And that's from people who live in the same county the attempt happened in.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. kle4, those people (saying it's just a traitor's attempted assassination) might reflect that there remains a health risk because it wasn't a stabbing but involved a nerve agent. Of course, that might require a moment's thought...
  • Options

twitter.com/psmith/status/973946720668323842

Useful idiot....
  • Options

Sam Coates Times

No s*** Sherlock....

Is Milne’s problem with the security services that they have too many Russian agents working for them or not enough?
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

MaxPB said:

I don't think you understand the mechanics of drafting agreements. And I never saw a Leave argument advanced which said that "it’s not fair, the Europeans won’t do as we tell them. " Why would anyone have made such a ludicrous claim when we were one of 28 equal parties?
    I don’t think you understand. We are leaving, but in the absence of concrete proposals (apart from the red lines), the EU has drafted an exit agreement for negotiation.

There was nothing stopping us doing so, had we any idea on what we would have written. But we do not, partly because Brexit is a kind of fake policy - devoid of logical premise - and partly because the Tory party is having a hard time agreeing among themselves how to go about it.

As for the “not fair” remark, both Tyndall and Max claim we had zero influence in the EU. Zero.

How else to construe such absurd claims? Not that they are unique of course; such has been the quackery Brexit has been built on for many years, eagerly promoted by the right wing press.
  • Options
    I know plenty don't like its alleged positioning, but a general rule of thumb I have on if a genuine political storm is coming (merited or not) is if the main pages of the BBC news site have something on it. Nothing I can see on Labour troubles over Russia response yet, so for the moment I'd say Corbyn has nothing to worry about in terms of wider impact, but time will tell.
  • Options

Mr. kle4, those people (saying it's just a traitor's attempted assassination) might reflect that there remains a health risk because it wasn't a stabbing but involved a nerve agent. Of course, that might require a moment's thought...

They might also reflect that it was an attempt to kill a British citizen, unless they think that British citzens who were not born in this country are somehow not deserving of protection.
  • Options
    Livingstone has gone on RT to peddle the ludicrous conspiracy theory that this is all about the local elections and the Tories being behind in the polls. Beggars belief.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,287

Well there is currently no mention of Corbyn's Russia comments anywhere on the BBC News homepage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Nope. You are really making a fool of yourself today. The EU was the religion - or more accurately a cult - and we are the atheists.
    Actually, Brexitism is the Emperor’s New Clothes, and your arse is showing.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

twitter.com/psmith/status/973946720668323842

Useful idiot....
    Just for fun I put 'useful idiot UK' into google image search. Not particularly amusing, but the suggested tags make pretty clear which side uses the phrase most often, which I do find funny.

stalin
    slogan
    jeremy corbyn
    labour
    putin
    communism
    salmond
    mr corbyn
    soviet
    liam fox
    establishment's position
    alex salmond

"Mr" Corbyn, how polite.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I know plenty don't like its alleged positioning, but a general rule of thumb I have on if a genuine political storm is coming (merited or not) is if the main pages of the BBC news site have something on it. Nothing I can see on Labour troubles over Russia response yet, so for the moment I'd say Corbyn has nothing to worry about in terms of wider impact, but time will tell.

BBC news is not holding back with reports of possible shadow cabinet resignations and the growing labour signatures to their EDM endorsing the PM and reaffirming that Russia is responsible
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,055

MaxPB said:

What was your real world solution to the Irish customs border again? And every other customs border in Europe for that matter assuming you want the EU abolished?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

They might also reflect that it was an attempt to kill a British citizen, unless they think that British citzens who were not born in this country are somehow not deserving of protection.
    I think it was a snap thought not taking into account

a) the wider health risk to the public
    b) that he was a citizen of this country; and an over emphasis on
    c) dislike of spying
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,301
    Wittingly or not, Jezza has allowed Russia to do what it loves to do with the human mind: it's not so much the lies; it's the not knowing what to believe.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Oh for heaven’s sake: “cult”, “religion”?

I can be fiercely critical of the EU but this is ridiculous.
  • Options
    Anorak said:
    That's 'potential PM nutter' to you.
  • Options
    There’s a new thread!
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Actually, Brexitism is the Emperor’s New Clothes, and your arse is showing.
    To be fair, that's most of him.
  • Options

kle4 said:

BBC news is not holding back with reports of possible shadow cabinet resignations and the growing labour signatures to their EDM endorsing the PM and reaffirming that Russia is responsible
    I wish they would.
    The moderates should grow some and sit as “Real Labour” and a subscription set up for their support. I’d contribute.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Anorak said:
    That's 'potential PM nutter' to you.
    I stand corrected.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,287
    Labour Peer Brenda Dean (ex SOGAT print union) has died aged 74.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited March 2018

Laura Kuenssberg

The only way a change happens is if the membership turn against Jeremy Corbyn. So far a lot of those speaking out against Corbyn are moderates who have already done so in the past. As we saw in 2016 (and in 2015) the views of Labour moderates do not neccessarily reflect the views of Labour members.

• Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

MaxPB said:

I don’t think you understand. We are leaving, but in the absence of concrete proposals (apart from the red lines), the EU has drafted an exit agreement for negotiation.

There was nothing stopping us doing so, had we any idea on what we would have written. But we do not, partly because Brexit is a kind of fake policy - devoid of logical premise - and partly because the Tory party is having a hard time agreeing among themselves how to go about it.

As for the “not fair” remark, both Tyndall and Max claim we had zero influence in the EU. Zero.

How else to construe such absurd claims? Not that they are unique of course; such has been the quackery Brexit has been built on for many years, eagerly promoted by the right wing press.
    We didn't/don't.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

MaxPB said:

We didn't/don't.
    QED.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

JWisemann said:

kle4 said:

ToryJim said:

How is it relevant it was once part of Russia?

So was the whole of Ukraine.
    Yes. You see the plan there?
This discussion has been closed.