Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Now the US orders sanctions against Russia for interference WH

Comments

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Mr. Tyndall, aye, but that'd be circa 40%, I think the Germans figure was closer to 5%.

Edited extra bit: yet another telling age divide:
    https://twitter.com/Jamin2g/status/974319328907681794

Whenever anyone tells you that Remain supporters will get over it in time, remember this age split in this poll. Brexit has cemented a culture divide that means for many people there is nothing now that the Conservatives can do right.
    Nonsense - those youth figures would suggest a big move to the right. But you know that.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited March 2018

I think Chelsea should be nationalised

Wouldn’t that just lead to the workers being overpaid...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,315

But the House Intelligence Committee said there was no interference

The majority on the committee said that.
    And as we know, they had their heads up their own arses.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Did you see my Alzheimer’s post this am?
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    I'm a bit suspicious about Trump imposing sanctions on the same day as a disastrous election result. Maybe I've just read too many corbynite tweets and the tinfoil is rubbing off...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935

Mr. Tyndall, aye, but that'd be circa 40%, I think the Germans figure was closer to 5%.

49% of 18 to 24s is a good rating for May considering over 70% voted Labour in 2017
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,248
    edited March 2018
    Anorak said:

I'm a bit suspicious about Trump imposing sanctions on the same day as a disastrous election result. Maybe I've just read too many corbynite tweets and the tinfoil is rubbing off...

You pervert.

You don’t use tinfoil to rub yourself off, you use PVC, much easier to clean.

So I am told.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Mr. Meeks, you're aware that people change their political opinions over time? Not only that, the political situation itself will change. The EU in 30 years will not be the EU of today.

A large divide now does not mean there will be a large divide forever. Perhaps most importantly, the poll has nothing to do with the EU.

I agree with your last sentence. Now, explain to me why a majority of 18-34 year olds would favour Jeremy Corbyn over Theresa May on this question.
    The nature of hope over experience.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,918
    I have to say I am hearing lot more loud jet activity around Lincolnshire the last few days compared to normal. This afternoon it has been pretty much constant.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Chortle .... :smile:
  • Options

Liverpool FC came within a few hours of being nationalised in 2010.
  • Options

Now that was a surprise.

Just went to look at how many tanks Poland has (following in from a comment someone made on the previous page). Officially they have 1,065 MBTs (Leopard 2s PT-91s and T72Ms). The UK by comparison has 250.

I wonder what the serviceable numbers are for each country.

Oh and the European country with the most tanks - Greece. Although a lot of them are very old.

I read somewhere (it might have been on here years ago) that, like for fighter planes, raw tank numbers mean little for the initial months of a conflict. What matters more is the numbers of crew available and the hours of training they get per year, as tank crews and fighter pilots/navigators cannot be trained to be effective quickly.

I'll leave it to one of our military bods to either expand on this, or lambast me. ;)
    Very likely true - and Germany is failing on both counts at the moment.

If they were so minded, the Poles could possibly bring off a successful invasion if the Germans didn't get any outside help....
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

HHemmelig said:

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

Theresa getting flowers given her and applause from the crowds in Salisbury

Well I’m not there and you’re not there, so who are all these other people that support the PM?
    Me neither. TSE finally falling for her charms?
    The poll I took part in I disapproved of Mrs May's handling of the event.

She hasn’t gone far enough in her actions.

She should be taking financial action against Putin’s cronies.

Why is it I can’t deposit 5k cash in the bank without being interrogated by the bank staff about where it came from but Ruskies can deposit billions in the UK no questions asked.
    They can’t
    Precisely. There's so much misinformation on this it's laughable. The London oligarchs' cash holdings are largely in Jersey, Isle of Man, Cyprus, Cayman Islands and such like. The amount of money deposited in the UK is small. Their wealth in the UK proper is largely tied up in London property.
    That seems like a distinction without merit.

How was the London Property purchased without getting cash into the UK?
    That is right. Solicitors are required to satisfy themselves that the money in conveyancing transactions is legit. More to the point, money is valueless unless you can exchange it for nice stuff, of which there is precious little in Jersey or the Isle of Man, which are just staging posts.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,879

I have to say I am hearing lot more loud jet activity around Lincolnshire the last few days compared to normal. This afternoon it has been pretty much constant.

I've been walking the Great Ouse Way, and there was lots of activity on Friday and yesterday on the stretches around Ely, including two refuelling aircraft low over Tescos.

I can't imagine what it must have been like at the height of the Cold War.
  • Options

Relegated 3 divisions is my impartial suggestion.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Nigelb said:

I can't remember...
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Now that was a surprise.

Just went to look at how many tanks Poland has (following in from a comment someone made on the previous page). Officially they have 1,065 MBTs (Leopard 2s PT-91s and T72Ms). The UK by comparison has 250.

I wonder what the serviceable numbers are for each country.

Oh and the European country with the most tanks - Greece. Although a lot of them are very old.

I read somewhere (it might have been on here years ago) that, like for fighter planes, raw tank numbers mean little for the initial months of a conflict. What matters more is the numbers of crew available and the hours of training they get per year, as tank crews and fighter pilots/navigators cannot be trained to be effective quickly.

I'll leave it to one of our military bods to either expand on this, or lambast me. ;)
    Very likely true - and Germany is failing on both counts at the moment.

If they were so minded, the Poles could possibly bring off a successful invasion if the Germans didn't get any outside help....
    The German submarine fleet is in a dire state:;
    https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/navy-ships/a14480191/germanys-entire-submarine-fleet-is-out-of-commission/
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited March 2018

Whenever anyone tells you that Remain supporters will get over it in time, remember this age split in this poll. Brexit has cemented a culture divide that means for many people there is nothing now that the Conservatives can do right.
    If you look at the 35-54s who also voted Remain, the May/Corbyn split is 69:31. I think the Tories would take that.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    May looks very statesman-like in the photos from today’s visit to Salisbury...
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

https://twitter.com/odn/status/974297476722315265
  • Options

How long do things like tanks remain effective? I know guns can remain (both individually and the design) of use for a very long time....

Depends what you're using them against.

The older tanks tend to be slower, more poorly armoured, and have less effective guns. There was some recent speculation that many of the German Leopards wold be unable to knock out the more recent Russian T90s, for instance (let alone the T14s, but fortunately few of those are yet in service), but many of Russia's tanks are older models too.
  • Options

Relegated 3 divisions is my impartial suggestion.
    Timid.

Move them to the worst football league in the country, the Scottish Premier League.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Nigelb said:

I did, Charles.
    Was that this Wednesday, or next week ?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,140

'Events, dear boy, events' can work two ways.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,122
    Anorak said:

DavidL said:

I was just thinking that we may be heading towards global thermonuclear war but at least we are spending less time on Brexit and you go and spoil it.

Even global thermonuclear war wouldn't make the Irish border problem go away.
    How about a nice game of chess?
    Great film even if the technology is painfully dated.
  • Options

I've been walking the Great Ouse Way, and there was lots of activity on Friday and yesterday on the stretches around Ely, including two refuelling aircraft low over Tescos.

I have lived around the Nottinghamshire/Lincolnshire border all my life and grew very used to all the aircraft activity. The Tornados used to use the chimneys of Staythorpe Power station at Newark as a waypoint and we also used to get a lot of A10 activity.

And even in Newark you could hear the afterburners of the jets taking off from the bases along the Lincolnshire edge.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    That 31% polling figure is both reassuring and disturbing. Reassuring because there is a big majority against Corbyn and 31% is smaller than current Labour support. It is disturbing that so many don't see him for what he is or are prepared to live with it due to their hatred of the Tories, tribalism or niave idealism. I'm desperate for the more sensible elements in Labour to assertthemselves. I have actually considered rejoining to oppose Corbyn and McDonell but I can't campaign or vote for them whilst the current leadership is in place. I might have to actually vote Tory as things stand. The Labour leadership and shadow cabinet are beyond the democratic pale. Whay can't more see that?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

How far we have come... not so long ago, it was a 'terrorist fist jab':
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/barackobama/2115960/Barack-Obama-hand-gesture-sparks-row-over-terrorist-fist-jab.html
  • Options

Anorak said:

You pervert.

So I am told.
    It's gone silver.
  • Options

"two refuelling aircraft low over Tescos..."

Not quite Angels at four o'clock...
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    Scott_P said:
    "We have always been at war with Eastasia"
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

I did, Charles.
    He told me last night so assume it is next week!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,955
    Nigelb said:

Scott_P said:

How far we have come... not so long ago, it was a 'terrorist fist jab':
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/barackobama/2115960/Barack-Obama-hand-gesture-sparks-row-over-terrorist-fist-jab.html
    Terrorist fist jab? lol.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Will May call an early general election on this wave of popularity.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

Well I’m not there and you’re not there, so who are all these other people that support the PM?

Why is it I can’t deposit 5k cash in the bank without being interrogated by the bank staff about where it came from but Ruskies can deposit billions in the UK no questions asked.
    They can’t
    See that story in yesterday’s Times about Roman Abramovich.

He managed it.

Due diligence by the bank would have asked the right questions.

You made your money by buying a state asset at well below market estimates in a process you admit was rigged.
    I’ve turned down work from Roman before because I wasn’t comfortable with (a) the source of his wealth and (b) the identity of the unnamed minority shareholder in Millhouse Capital who our spies* informed us had the initials VP. UBS and Citi were happy to take the work and the fee. Shame on them.

* literally
    You truly are the only Nun in the whorehouse.
  • Options

How long do things like tanks remain effective? I know guns can remain (both individually and the design) of use for a very long time.

Chainmail (or mail, to be historically accurate) was in use for thousands of years. Although I suspect spears and bows probably hold the record for military longevity.

Age is not necessarily a problem of course. Just look at the B52.
    Not sure that applies to tanks. The battle of 73 Easting in the first Gulf war involved the British and American forces destroying 160 Iraqi tanks and 180 troop carriers for the loss of 1 damaged vehicle on the part of the Americans and 1 person killed. It was a turkey shoot and most of the Iraqis did the only sensible thing which was get out of their vehicles and skedaddle.

Older tanks with older armour are a slightly complicated way of committing suicide against more modern equipment.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Nigelb said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

I did, Charles.
    In these times, probably best to check...
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

That 31% polling figure is both reassuring and disturbing. Reassuring because there is a big majority against Corbyn and 31% is smaller than current Labour support. It is disturbing that so many don't see him for what he is or are prepared to live with it due to their hatred of the Tories, tribalism or niave idealism. I'm desperate for the more sensible elements in Labour to assertthemselves. I have actually considered rejoining to oppose Corbyn and McDonell but I can't campaign or vote for them whilst the current leadership is in place. I might have to actually vote Tory as things stand. The Labour leadership and shadow cabinet are beyond the democratic pale. Whay can't more see that?

Because many of the 31% regard the Conservative government's policies as evil, unhinged or both.

It is of course possible to regard both main parties as utterly unfit for government (I'm in that group) but in practice many will pick a side based on their view of the other side.
  • Options

Mr. Meeks, you're aware that people change their political opinions over time? Not only that, the political situation itself will change. The EU in 30 years will not be the EU of today.

A large divide now does not mean there will be a large divide forever. Perhaps most importantly, the poll has nothing to do with the EU.

I agree with your last sentence. Now, explain to me why a majority of 18-34 year olds would favour Jeremy Corbyn over Theresa May on this question.
    2% much like Brexit which you do not accept
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    I don't understand where Israel even fits into this picture?!?
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

Keeping the Ruskies at bay no doubt.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Gavin Williamson has made a right prat of himself today.Instead of acting like some pubescent Private Pike,if he really want to look hard and scary to these pesky Russians ,he should have said shut the f.ck up,in the manner of Tony Soprano.That would have Putin quacking/quakeing in his boots.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,010
    edited March 2018
  • Options

Re that Sky poll.

Just remember 15 years ago a British Prime Minister lied about chemical weapons to the country.

People have ever been more cynical of their government since then.

As someone said after Chilcot was published ‘We expect politicians to lie, but not about wars’

I think we know from people independent of government that three people are in hospital, poisoned by nerve gas.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

They can’t
    See that story in yesterday’s Times about Roman Abramovich.

He managed it.

Due diligence by the bank would have asked the right questions.

You made your money by buying a state asset at well below market estimates in a process you admit was rigged.
    I’ve turned down work from Roman before because I wasn’t comfortable with (a) the source of his wealth and (b) the identity of the unnamed minority shareholder in Millhouse Capital who our spies* informed us had the initials VP. UBS and Citi were happy to take the work and the fee. Shame on them.

* literally
    You truly are the only Nun in the whorehouse.
    Just worked at the time for a prudent and sensible firm. Stan O’Neal should rot in hell for what he did to Mother Merrill.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    DavidL said:

How long do things like tanks remain effective? I know guns can remain (both individually and the design) of use for a very long time.

Chainmail (or mail, to be historically accurate) was in use for thousands of years. Although I suspect spears and bows probably hold the record for military longevity.

Not sure that applies to tanks. The battle of 73 Easting in the first Gulf war involved the British and American forces destroying 160 Iraqi tanks and 180 troop carriers for the loss of 1 damaged vehicle on the part of the Americans and 1 person killed. It was a turkey shoot and most of the Iraqis did the only sensible thing which was get out of their vehicles and skedaddle.

Older tanks with older armour are a slightly complicated way of committing suicide against more modern equipment.
    The Russians have rather better anti-aircraft equipment, and a decentish airforce of their own.

And probably more tanks than we have air to ground missiles...
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

They're ever the bogeyman to a subset of society. A subset which overlaps significantly with neonazis and corbynites.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

I did, Charles.
    In these times, probably best to check...
    The Wednesday ctte appears to be on opioids!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The advantages the Anglo-American tanks had then was

1) They had better armour

2) They had longer firing distances

3) They had GPS which is great for desert warfare

4) They had a lot of air support, from both planes and attack helicopters.

Looking at that list provided by @TheWhiteRabbit of American forces in Germany/Europe there's an awful lot of Combat Aviation Battalions.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

tlg86 said:
    More like the 18% who think he is doing a good job on Russia.

Beware - Might be a self selecting voodoo poll by Sky.
  • Options

How we laughed...

Nice find.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,789
    Being in the EU made no difference to Russia killing Litvinenko?
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758

Because many of the 31% regard the Conservative government's policies as evil, unhinged or both.

It is of course possible to regard both main parties as utterly unfit for government (I'm in that group) but in practice many will pick a side based on their view of the other side.
    But alas we may have to choose between them again and they are not equally bad. As a currently disenfranchised centre-left person with a dash of classical liberalism and a bit of dryness in economics Corbyn is by far the worst.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,287
    Although he never actually said it, Dave would today have been utterly vindicated if he'd warned that Brexit might start World War III. Looking back Dave was too sanguine about the security threat.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Mr. Glenn, Litvinenko. The US election. The downing of a passenger plane over Ukraine. The common factor is Russia being a dick. Not leaving the EU.

Some hardcore Remainers sound like Elizabethan doctors, who know the cure is leeches before they even hear the first symptom.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,099
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

You pervert.

So I am told.
    It's gone silver.
    Come again?
  • Options
    If there was to be a war, expect many of our systems here in the UK to be hit hard at the commencement. We're very vulnerable.

It's cheap and effective at disrupting the war effort.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,835
    MaxPB said:

It’s *always* Israel. No-one else can do anything so evil.
    /sarcasm
  • Options
    Anorak said:

MaxPB said:

They're ever the bogeyman to a subset of society. A subset which overlaps significantly with neonazis and corbynites.
    My inner grammar Nazi is suddenly singing the Horst Wessel song.

If there's one thing I hate more than 'would of,' it's a tautology.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @Independent_ie: BREAKING: Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has revealed he intervened on behalf of US President Donald Trump over a proposal to build a windfarm near Trump's golf course in Doonbeg, Co Clare
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

You pervert.

So I am told.
    It's gone silver.
    Come again?
    Jeez, give me a minute. Not 18 any more.
  • Options

Although he never actually said it, Dave would today have been utterly vindicated if he'd warned that Brexit might start World War III. Looking back Dave was too sanguine about the security threat.
    I think you are overplaying this somewhat. Russia carrying out assassinations overseas - even using chemical attacks, some far more serious than this - is hardly new. Were the murders of Trotsky, or Markov, or Litvenenko linked to Brexit? Obviously not. Indeed, it seems likely this was linked to Russia's internal problems as much as anything else.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    edited March 2018
    I wonder if someone like Yvette Cooper has considered a Labour leadership challenge to Corbyn - to be made right now.

It would obviously be very unlikely to succeed - but who knows - it's worth remembering Corbyn only beat Owen Smith by 62:38 - and Smith was a very poor candidate compared to someone like Cooper.

OK, that contest was before Corbyn's "success" in the 2017 GE - but still Smith getting 38% isn't a bad base - and now would surely be the best possible time to strike with this incident giving the maximum opportunity to undermine Corbyn.

Of course she would start behind but she could challenge him to TV debates etc - and we've seen many electoral upsets in recent years - if she could build some momentum then you never know what might happen.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Anorak said:

ydoethur said:

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

You pervert.

So I am told.
    It's gone silver.
    Come again?
    Jeez, give me a minute. Not 18 any more.
    I take it that one flopped? :wink:
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,789

Er.... When Russia killed Litvinenko the response from the rest of the world and particularly from the EU was terribly weak and divided. And we were happily paid up members of the EU.

Actually this time the EU and World response seems much tougher and far more credible. As we're leaving the EU?
  • Options
    A post which would have had bite if France and Germany had told us to stew in our own juice, but as things are is so profoundly silly that I'm hoping Mr Glenn's account has been hacked.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

But alas we may have to choose between them again and they are not equally bad. As a currently disenfranchised centre-left person with a dash of classical liberalism and a bit of dryness in economics Corbyn is by far the worst.
    I'd say they're equally bad at present. If Labour replace Jeremy Corbyn with someone who can be trusted on national security they'll get my vote. I cannot envisage voting Conservative at any point in the foreseeable future no matter how they evolve from here.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

It doesn't, really.
    Not that disturbing stuff might not be happening in that neck of the woods...
    https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/03/15/lebanon-conflict-americans-war-217640?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    It's Corbyn's approach to foreign policy over a period of 40 years that make him entirely unsuitable to be Prime Minister. Nothing he and Seamas Milne have said and done since the Salisbury attack should surprise anyone. Both have been speaking from the heart.

Most voters get this, which is why Corbyn will never lead Labour to victory in a general election. That is good news; but also utterly depressing, because it leaves this miserable, incompetent government in power for the foreseeable future.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Er.... When Russia killed Litvinenko the response from the rest of the world and particularly from the EU was terribly weak and divided. And we were happily paid up members of the EU.

Actually this time the EU and World response seems much tougher and far more credible. As we're leaving the EU?
    That's not really fair, as our initial reaction in 2006 was pitifully weak. Why should other countries have reacted in a stronger manner?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Anorak said:

MaxPB said:

My inner grammar Nazi is suddenly singing the Horst Wessel song.

If there's one thing I hate more than 'would of,' it's a tautology.
    No, what you hate is a pleonasm.
  • Options

You sound like a classic Lib Dem target. But where are they? Vince is invisible on anything other than calling people xenophobes.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Scott_P said:

Or as the Mirror will run "May punches member of the public".......
  • Options
    How Gavin Williamson is Defence Secretary and Tom Tugendhat isn't is one of the the great mysteries of our time

https://twitter.com/SarahKellyTV/status/974332335608025089
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914

Gavin Williamson has made a right prat of himself today.Instead of acting like some pubescent Private Pike,if he really want to look hard and scary to these pesky Russians ,he should have said shut the f.ck up,in the manner of Tony Soprano.That would have Putin quacking/quakeing in his boots.

Williamson, Johnson, Grayling, Fox, Davis, Leadsom, McVey ... the quotient of utter mediocrities and worse in the current Cabinet is unprecedented.

• Options
    So Lord Pearson what first attracted you and UKIP to Tommy Robinson?

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/974340611984773121
  • Options
    Phew, we're much much much better than HSBC

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/974338502660886533
  • Options

I'd say they're equally bad at present. If Labour replace Jeremy Corbyn with someone who can be trusted on national security they'll get my vote. I cannot envisage voting Conservative at any point in the foreseeable future no matter how they evolve from here.
    Would any Labour figure who can be trusted on national security be able to win the leadership as matters stand? I think the answer is 'no.' Clive Lewis may be able to rehabilitate himself given time but I have always got the feeling that he was a touch lightweight for the top post, Labour's slightly saner answer to Boris.

The truth is we have a bad government, but they are considerably less bad than the Opposition. Rees-Mogg and Gove are hard right neocons whom I dislike and distrust. Some of Corbyn's supporters are genuine 'cheered Indiana Jones' foes' Nazis, while others consider Brezhnev was dangerously wet.

And there as Joff so rightly pointed out, lies the problem.
  • Options

DavidL said:

The advantages the Anglo-American tanks had then was

1) They had better armour

2) They had longer firing distances

3) They had GPS which is great for desert warfare

4) They had a lot of air support, from both planes and attack helicopters.

Looking at that list provided by @TheWhiteRabbit of American forces in Germany/Europe there's an awful lot of Combat Aviation Battalions.
    I think the US equipment is on a different level to anything else on the planet and only we come close. Of course they could and probably would be overwhelmed by weight of numbers but the Russians have some decent new kit and a very long tail. I suspect they would find Poland quite a challenge.

• Options

Williamson, Johnson, Grayling, Fox, Davis, Leadsom, McVey ... the quotient of utter mediocrities and worse in the current Cabinet is unprecedented.

On seeing the list of Addington's cabinet in 1801, a peer is said to have remarked, 'Well, thank God we have at last got a ministry without one of those men of genius in it.'

(And if you want a bunch of mediocrities, try the 1904-5 Balfour cabinet.)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,897

Veritable titans compared to most of the opposition cabinet.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2018

Hardly. I expect that like most people you've forgotten Geoff Hoon, Margaret Beckett, Jacqui Smith, John Prescott, Estelle Morris, Ed Miliband, and the whole crew of other New Labour nonentities.

Overall this is not too bad a cabinet, and of those you mention Grayling's OK, DD's doing rather well, Esther McVey is likely to turn out good, although it's early days, and Gavin Williamson is certainly better than at least two of his predecessors of the Blair/Brown years (Bob Ainsworth, for heaven's sake!).
  • Options

They’re not comparing like with like though, or they’re surprised that cashiers working 9-3 in a branch are mostly women whereas the 18-hour-a-day City boys are mostly, well, boys.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    Jonathan said:

My great grandfather was Mayor of Salisbury. Interesting guy.

Did he auction off his wife?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mayor_of_Casterbridge
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Sandpit said:

They’re not comparing like with like though, or they’re surprised that cashiers working 9-3 in a branch are mostly women whereas the 18-hour-a-day City boys are mostly, well, boys.
    I'm looking forward to see the pay gap at Premier League clubs. Fun fact, Arsenal employ over 700 people.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    I don't know why people make all this fuss about the gender pay gap, it's easy to fix. You just need to get a few of the most highly-paid chaps to self-identify as women when filling in the form. Job done.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

I'm looking forward to see the pay gap at Premier League clubs. Fun fact, Arsenal employ over 700 people.
    From personal experience if I were advising Arsenal I'd tell them to use the modal average.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,897
    tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Will Arsenal have to publish given they're privately owned ?
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Re that Sky poll, I think both Alastair and the Tories on here are overreading it. What matters is whether any of those respondents - young and old - are actually going to take the Russia issue into consideration when they vote. Lots of voters have opinions on matters, where those matters rank in terms who deciding who to vote for GE is a different matter.

I think 51% 18-34 year olds picked Corbyn in part because of the aftermath of Iraq tbh, rather than ‘hope over experience.’ I would agree with the 49% who picked May, however I’d never describe myself as right wing, so I don’t see felix’s point that the poll shows a ‘shift to the right.’
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

On seeing the list of Addington's cabinet in 1801, a peer is said to have remarked, 'Well, thank God we have at last got a ministry without one of those men of genius in it.'

(And if you want a bunch of mediocrities, try the 1904-5 Balfour cabinet.)
    How about the Who Who government?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Will Arsenal have to publish given they're privately owned ?
    Applies to all firms/organisations with 250 plus employees.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

A post which would have had bite if France and Germany had told us to stew in our own juice, but as things are is so profoundly silly that I'm hoping Mr Glenn's account has been hacked.
    No, he really does believe the rubbish he posts. It is rather quaint really.
This discussion has been closed.