Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Now the US orders sanctions against Russia for interference WH

Comments

• Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited March 2018
    MikeL said:

I wonder if someone like Yvette Cooper has considered a Labour leadership challenge to Corbyn - to be made right now.

It would obviously be very unlikely to succeed - but who knows - it's worth remembering Corbyn only beat Owen Smith by 62:38 - and Smith was a very poor candidate compared to someone like Cooper.

OK, that contest was before Corbyn's "success" in the 2017 GE - but still Smith getting 38% isn't a bad base - and now would surely be the best possible time to strike with this incident giving the maximum opportunity to undermine Corbyn.

Of course she would start behind but she could challenge him to TV debates etc - and we've seen many electoral upsets in recent years - if she could build some momentum then you never know what might happen.

Cooper has already run against Corbyn and lost. A centrist may well be a moderate or Conservative’s idea of the perfect Labour leader, but that’s probably the reason why Labour members wouldn’t vote for them now. If people want Corbyn to go, it won’t be a centrist who will beat him, but someone more left wing than that, ideally without his toxic foreign policy views.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Phew, we're much much much better than HSBC

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/974338502660886533

They’re not comparing like with like though, or they’re surprised that cashiers working 9-3 in a branch are mostly women whereas the 18-hour-a-day City boys are mostly, well, boys.
    I'm looking forward to see the pay gap at Premier League clubs. Fun fact, Arsenal employ over 700 people.
    Will Arsenal have to publish given they're privately owned ?
    I guess not, but it would be funny.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    HYUFD said:

Mr. Tyndall, aye, but that'd be circa 40%, I think the Germans figure was closer to 5%.
    Edited extra bit: yet another telling age divide:
    https://twitter.com/Jamin2g/status/974319328907681794

49% of 18 to 24s is a good rating for May considering over 70% voted Labour in 2017
    Sorry - I missed it. What was the question?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,191
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Gavin Williamson has made a right prat of himself today.Instead of acting like some pubescent Private Pike,if he really want to look hard and scary to these pesky Russians ,he should have said shut the f.ck up,in the manner of Tony Soprano.That would have Putin quacking/quakeing in his boots.

Williamson, Johnson, Grayling, Fox, Davis, Leadsom, McVey ... the quotient of utter mediocrities and worse in the current Cabinet is unprecedented.

On seeing the list of Addington's cabinet in 1801, a peer is said to have remarked, 'Well, thank God we have at last got a ministry without one of those men of genius in it.'

(And if you want a bunch of mediocrities, try the 1904-5 Balfour cabinet.)
    How about the Who Who government?
    That had Derby and Disraeli in it. They made up for a hell of a lot.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

They’re not comparing like with like though, or they’re surprised that cashiers working 9-3 in a branch are mostly women whereas the 18-hour-a-day City boys are mostly, well, boys.
    I'm looking forward to see the pay gap at Premier League clubs. Fun fact, Arsenal employ over 700 people.
    From 2017, any organisation that has 250 or more employees must publish and report specific figures about their gender pay gap.

The gender pay gap is the difference between the average earnings of men and women, expressed relative to men’s earnings. For example, ‘women earn 15% less than men per hour’.

Employers must both:

publish their gender pay gap data and a written statement on their public-facing website

report their data to government online - using the gender pay gap reporting service.

If your organisation has fewer than 250 employees, it can publish and report voluntarily but is not obliged to do so.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/gender-pay-gap-reporting-overview
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    PClipp said:

HYUFD said:

Mr. Tyndall, aye, but that'd be circa 40%, I think the Germans figure was closer to 5%.
    Edited extra bit: yet another telling age divide:
    https://twitter.com/Jamin2g/status/974319328907681794

49% of 18 to 24s is a good rating for May considering over 70% voted Labour in 2017
    Sorry - I missed it. What was the question?
    Whose position they support on Russia
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    I mean a prime example of how weird polling can be is how unpopular Corbyn’s move on Brexit was, and how most the data showed how people backed May’s approach. Then we get a poll showing Labour with a seven point lead. Now that poll struck me as an outlier, I don’t believe Labour are seriously ahead by that much. But it’s an example of how the unpopularity of their Brexit policy doesn’t appear to be leading people to abandon the party in their droves. It backs up some polling that showed Labour Leavers don’t care about the EU as much as Tories do, which might have been Labour’s saving grace.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    Sandpit said:

That 31% polling figure is both reassuring and disturbing. Reassuring because there is a big majority against Corbyn and 31% is smaller than current Labour support. It is disturbing that so many don't see him for what he is or are prepared to live with it due to their hatred of the Tories, tribalism or niave idealism. I'm desperate for the more sensible elements in Labour to assertthemselves. I have actually considered rejoining to oppose Corbyn and McDonell but I can't campaign or vote for them whilst the current leadership is in place. I might have to actually vote Tory as things stand. The Labour leadership and shadow cabinet are beyond the democratic pale. Whay can't more see that?

Because many of the 31% regard the Conservative government's policies as evil, unhinged or both.
    It is of course possible to regard both main parties as utterly unfit for government (I'm in that group) but in practice many will pick a side based on their view of the other side.
    But alas we may have to choose between them again and they are not equally bad. As a currently disenfranchised centre-left person with a dash of classical liberalism and a bit of dryness in economics Corbyn is by far the worst.
    You sound like a classic Lib Dem target. But where are they? Vince is invisible on anything other than calling people xenophobes.
    Not really invisible, Mr Sandpit. But I have the impression - just an impression -that every time that Vince says something, Corbyn says the same thing about half and hour later and scoops all the publicity.

It doesn`t really matter to Corbyn that what he say goes against what he himself has been saying recently, or what his Labour Party line is supposed to be.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

From 2017, any organisation that has 250 or more employees must publish and report specific figures about their gender pay gap.

The gender pay gap is the difference between the average earnings of men and women, expressed relative to men’s earnings. For example, ‘women earn 15% less than men per hour’.

Employers must both:

publish their gender pay gap data and a written statement on their public-facing website

report their data to government online - using the gender pay gap reporting service.

If your organisation has fewer than 250 employees, it can publish and report voluntarily but is not obliged to do so.

What's the deadline for publication?
  • Options
    PClipp said:

Sandpit said:

That 31% polling figure is both reassuring and disturbing. Reassuring because there is a big majority against Corbyn and 31% is smaller than current Labour support. It is disturbing that so many don't see him for what he is or are prepared to live with it due to their hatred of the Tories, tribalism or niave idealism. I'm desperate for the more sensible elements in Labour to assertthemselves. I have actually considered rejoining to oppose Corbyn and McDonell but I can't campaign or vote for them whilst the current leadership is in place. I might have to actually vote Tory as things stand. The Labour leadership and shadow cabinet are beyond the democratic pale. Whay can't more see that?

Because many of the 31% regard the Conservative government's policies as evil, unhinged or both.
    It is of course possible to regard both main parties as utterly unfit for government (I'm in that group) but in practice many will pick a side based on their view of the other side.
    But alas we may have to choose between them again and they are not equally bad. As a currently disenfranchised centre-left person with a dash of classical liberalism and a bit of dryness in economics Corbyn is by far the worst.
    You sound like a classic Lib Dem target. But where are they? Vince is invisible on anything other than calling people xenophobes.
    Not really invisible, Mr Sandpit. But I have the impression - just an impression -that every time that Vince says something, Corbyn says the same thing about half and hour later and scoops all the publicity.

It doesn`t really matter to Corbyn that what he say goes against what he himself has been saying recently, or what his Labour Party line is supposed to be.
    I think Vince said what he said just to get attention, just to remind people the LDs still exist. They really are invisible, the political conversation rarely acknowledges them.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Employers must both:

31st of March for public sector organisations.

4th of April for non public sector organisations.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Employers must both:

Speaking of dates I idly note today is the Ides of March.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,889

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

From personal experience if I were advising Arsenal I'd tell them to use the modal average.
    Unless you’re compiling the top 40 chart, a modal average is completely useless!
    At any Premier League Club it will be £7.50.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Employers must both:

Speaking of dates I idly note today is the Ides of March.
    Yah, all the great leaders see their tenure in offices shortened when they are stabbed in the back and front by their erstwhile colleagues

Gaius Julius Caesar and David Cameron to name but two
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

From personal experience if I were advising Arsenal I'd tell them to use the modal average.
    Unless you’re compiling the top 40 chart, a modal average is completely useless!
    Sadly for us all we're not allowed to use modal averages.

It's clearly a feminist plot to undermine men is this gender pay audit.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    The government are definitely onto a loser with this idiotic gender pay audit. All it will do is stoke tensions between men and women, and allow the likes of Corbyn to offer anti-market solutions.

Seriously stupid.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,920

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

It'll be next to useless for firms of lawyers and accountants:

Partners in partnerships

You don’t have to include partners in traditional partnerships and limited liability partnerships in your calculations. This is because partners take a share of the organisation’s profits, which is not directly comparable with employees’ pay.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

The government are definitely onto a loser with this idiotic gender pay audit. All it will do is stoke tensions between men and women, and allow the likes of Corbyn to offer anti-market solutions.

Seriously stupid.

Fortunately my employer is small enough for me not to bother with any of this shite.
  • Options
    Hmm I wonder if boxes "8 and 9" and intrastat will be out the window when we leave the EU...
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Poor Vlad.

Even Trump’s turning against him, how long before Seumas and Jez follow suit?

That's never going to happen
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

It'll be next to useless for firms of lawyers and accountants:

Partners in partnerships

You don’t have to include partners in traditional partnerships and limited liability partnerships in your calculations. This is because partners take a share of the organisation’s profits, which is not directly comparable with employees’ pay.
    It has been an eye opener, it is interesting the pay gap is a lot smaller when you take into account the number of hours actually worked.
  • Options
    "there may be trouble ahead" ........
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599

I mean a prime example of how weird polling can be is how unpopular Corbyn’s move on Brexit was, and how most the data showed how people backed May’s approach. Then we get a poll showing Labour with a seven point lead. Now that poll struck me as an outlier, I don’t believe Labour are seriously ahead by that much. But it’s an example of how the unpopularity of their Brexit policy doesn’t appear to be leading people to abandon the party in their droves. It backs up some polling that showed Labour Leavers don’t care about the EU as much as Tories do, which might have been Labour’s saving grace.

I think Labour Leavers mostly care more about austerity, particularly in public services, than Brexit. More than Russia probably too.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Re that Sky poll, I think both Alastair and the Tories on here are overreading it. What matters is whether any of those respondents - young and old - are actually going to take the Russia issue into consideration when they vote. Lots of voters have opinions on matters, where those matters rank in terms who deciding who to vote for GE is a different matter.

I think 51% 18-34 year olds picked Corbyn in part because of the aftermath of Iraq tbh, rather than ‘hope over experience.’ I would agree with the 49% who picked May, however I’d never describe myself as right wing, so I don’t see felix’s point that the poll shows a ‘shift to the right.’

Had Corbyn played it straight the kids would split 70/30 for him.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Why is this coming in now, it sounds like one of Hattie Hatemen’s projects from 2009?
    We all know the numbers are completely meaningless, so what’s the point of it?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Funny Russia connection to pay gap/pay equality chat.

One of the tedious strawmen dragged out is the notion that women are attracted to professions that just so happen to be low payday.

In Russia Medical Doctors are, in the main, female. By stunning conincidence Medical Doctor is a low pay job in Russia. Crazy. The smell of low pay must just attract women on a genetic level.
  • Options
    DavidL said:
    Got to prove it first - but it is a hostile act
  • Options

I think Chelsea should be nationalised

Relegated 3 divisions is my impartial suggestion.
    Timid.

Move them to the worst football league in the country, the Scottish Premier League.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

One of the tedious strawmen dragged out is the notion that women are attracted to professions that just so happen to be low payday.

In Russia Medical Doctors are, in the main, female. By stunning conincidence Medical Doctor is a low pay job in Russia. Crazy. The smell of low pay must just attract women on a genetic level.
    It’s the other way around. Men who know they have to provide for a family aren’t going to spend years training for a job with low pay.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Why is this coming in now, it sounds like one of Hattie Hatemen’s projects from 2009?
    The brain child of Mrs May and Nick Timothy as part of their fairness agenda.

I think there's plan for racial pay audits too.
  • Options
    Floater said:

DavidL said:
    Got to prove it first - but it is a hostile act
    Presumably we are also about to learn whether Russia really does have plans to snip our undersea data cables.

I am puzzled that the equity markets don't seem to be fussed by any of this, and gold is down on the day.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

British docs now predominantly female too, bit less so at senior level. Figures need to be senority corrected perhaps. On the other hand:

https://twitter.com/kariss_leigh/status/973922600824070144?s=19
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

If you want to be fair, you need to compare like with like. I’m sure the male cashiers get paid the same as the female cashiers at the bank, and I’m sure a five year qualified solicitor earns the same as another five year qualified solicitor, irrespective of whether they’re male or female?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Foxy said:

Alistair said:

British docs now predominantly female too, bit less so at senior level. Figures need to be senority corrected perhaps. On the other hand:

It's something like an 80/20 split in Russia. Doctor is seen as a 'caring' role naturally suited to women.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,832
    MaxPB said:

I don't understand where Israel even fits into this picture?!?
    Israel always fits into the picture. Putin, Trump, May, Merkel are just puppets on strings being pulled by the Israelis.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

If you want to be fair, you need to compare like with like. I’m sure the male cashiers get paid the same as the female cashiers at the bank, and I’m sure a five year qualified solicitor earns the same as another five year qualified solicitor, irrespective of whether they’re male or female?
    I'm not really keen on racial pay audits.

The non white English employees get paid a lot more than white English people.

Enoch was right, the darkies will have the whip hand over the whites. Small sample sizes really do play havoc in this.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056
    edited March 2018
    Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Israel always fits into the picture. Putin, Trump, May, Merkel are just puppets on strings being pulled by the Israelis.
    Orban takes on the citizens of nowhere.
    https://twitter.com/shaunwalker7/status/974320174131306496?s=21
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Well, yes and no.

If in the same role and female Solicitors were paid less WTE, that would be direct discrimination. If a different workforce but similar expertise and paid differently, then that is potentially indirect discrimination, as per the recent supermarket warehousemen vs checkout staff.

That may happen if a company did both family and contract law, where the female partners did the less lucrative family law. Potentially a minefield!

Similarly, if mostly male orthopaedic surgeons got paid more than mostly female paediatricians...
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,898
    HHemmelig said:

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

Theresa getting flowers given her and applause from the crowds in Salisbury

Well I’m not there and you’re not there, so who are all these other people that support the PM?
    Me neither. TSE finally falling for her charms?
    The poll I took part in I disapproved of Mrs May's handling of the event.

She hasn’t gone far enough in her actions.

She should be taking financial action against Putin’s cronies.

Why is it I can’t deposit 5k cash in the bank without being interrogated by the bank staff about where it came from but Ruskies can deposit billions in the UK no questions asked.
    They can’t
    Precisely. There's so much misinformation on this it's laughable. The London oligarchs' cash holdings are largely in Jersey, Isle of Man, Cyprus, Cayman Islands and such like. The amount of money deposited in the UK is small. Their wealth in the UK proper is largely tied up in London property.
    They are all deposited in UK tax havens and very accessible to the Tories best friends. Real misinformation indeed you halfwitted numpty thicko.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,898

I think Chelsea should be nationalised

Relegated 3 divisions is my impartial suggestion.
    Timid.

Move them to the worst football league in the country, the Scottish Premier League.
    Balloon more like.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Enoch was right, the darkies will have the whip hand over the whites. Small sample sizes really do play havoc in this.
    And how are these various races (and genders) determined, one assumes by asking the staff themselves? So if you can persuade your star salesman to self-identify as a black woman for the purposes of the audit, it would be impossible to question that?
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    It is most depressing that a Conservative government has surrendered to identity politics and the socialist idiocy that says equal = fair with these pay audits.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

And how are these various races (and genders) determined, one assumes by asking the staff themselves? So if you can persuade your star salesman to self-identify as a black woman for the purposes of the audit, it would be impossible to question that?
    I have often wondered if when applying for jobs I should put that I am of mixed race. And then, if somebody looking at my ruddy cheeks and light brown hair, dares to question this, show them my grandmother's birth certificate - the one in Chinese.

If any of them could read it I'd be buggered because it would reveal she was no more Chinese than Milne is sane, but in these days where race and gender seem all-important it might offer an edge.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,988
    I see PB's brain trust have moved from the minor issue of Russian aggression to tackling the real enemy:

women.

;)
  • Options

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Orban takes on the citizens of nowhere.
    https://twitter.com/shaunwalker7/status/974320174131306496?s=21
    And after a couple of tedious hours on this theme, he changed from criticising Juncker to talking about Putin.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

You have to fill in this form when you join the company/apply for a job detailing your background.

I'm tempted to add another box asking people if they consider themselves working class, middle class, or upper class.

I'm hoping to hire more working class people like me.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Well, yes and no.

If in the same role and female Solicitors were paid less WTE, that would be direct discrimination. If a different workforce but similar expertise and paid differently, then that is potentially indirect discrimination, as per the recent supermarket warehousemen vs checkout staff.

That may happen if a company did both family and contract law, where the female partners did the less lucrative family law. Potentially a minefield!

Similarly, if mostly male orthopaedic surgeons got paid more than mostly female paediatricians...
    Surely the supply and demand for each specialism, along with hours worked, should determine the salaries offered?

Although even the female paediatricians get their houses daubed in graffiti by ignorant morons, why would any man want to do that job?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Unless you’re compiling the top 40

I have often wondered if when applying for jobs I should put that I am of mixed race. And then, if somebody looking at my ruddy cheeks and light brown hair, dares to question this, show them my grandmother's birth certificate - the one in Chinese.

If any of them could read it I'd be buggered because it would reveal she was no more Chinese than Milne is sane, but in these days where race and gender seem all-important it might offer an edge.
    Brilliant! Start waving that around and you could be the next Michael Gove! :tongue:

(Lights blue touchpaper and retires...)
  • Options

You have to fill in this form when you join the company/apply for a job detailing your background.

I'm tempted to add another box asking people if they consider themselves working class, middle class, or upper class.

Working class people like you must be pretty rare, Mr Eagles. However, both Gove and Adonis were working class and privately educated, so you could offer them a role...
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Brilliant! Start waving that around and you could be the next Michael Gove! :tongue:

Nah, I couldn't be a Michael Gove. I'm intelligent and an expert in everything he talks bollocks about.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Working class people like you must be pretty rare, Mr Eagles. However, both Gove and Adonis were working class and privately educated, so you could offer them a role...
    It's very weird and a bit life affirming that my grandparents moved here from another country half way across the world and immediately became part of the English middle classes.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

I'm looking over 700 people.

Why is this coming in now, it sounds like one it?

My Great Grandfather was born in Kingston Jamaica, so perhaps I should let out my inner Rasta.

He was however the son of Scottish Presbyterian missionaries though!

• Options
    @ydoethur - strong stuff! I’m sure you’re just jealous of Mr Gove’s matinee idol looks.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

@ydoethur - strong stuff! I’m sure you’re just jealous of Mr Gove’s matinee idol looks.

You called me, Royal Blue. :smiley:
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

My Great Grandfather was born in Kingston Jamaica, so perhaps I should let out my inner Rasta.

So was my grandmother (well, daughter of etc.)
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850
    Evening all :)

https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/evening-standard-comment-russia-crisis-exposes-danger-of-pm-corbyn-a3790746.html

Interesting editorial presumably from Osborne himself.

While it's automatically and predictably scathing of Corbyn it does raise a key point or two - first, this segment:

Mr Corbyn is perfectly within his rights to question if it will work. Some ministers privately suspect it won’t.

It's a fair point. It's a point I raised repeatedly (and was shot down by certain of the more hysterical on here for even suggesting it) yesterday was whether anything proposed would have the slightest impact on Putin. I argued for a more wallet-based approach and it's interesting to see Washington follow that.

I do welcome the growing international co-operation but a lot of it is words at the moment and it remains to be seen if the likes of France and Germany emulate the UK and US in seeking some form of sanctions or punishment.

Of course, we now have the political posturing and points scoring. Cameron looked good when he flounced as did Brown when a couple of terrorist attacks were foiled in his early days and these kind of events get milked for all they're worth by the Government of the time.

Crises like this are easy for a Prime Minister - they can walk around looking and sounding authoritative and anyone who dares utter a word of criticism is immediately jumped on and accused of bring unpatriotic or a puppet of the enemy or whatever.

Democratic accountability and the right to criticise aren't switches to be turned on and off by events. For those on here who robustly champion freedom of speech and the right to offend, I raise the right to be critical, the right to scrutinise and the right to ask questions.

Past experience tells us we should always be sceptical of any Government's assertions in matters of this kind. Wrapping it all up in "national security" is all very well but in the absence of a substantive evidence-based report in the public domain, those of us rightly (I believe) sceptical of Government are going to continue to ask questions.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

So was my grandmother (well, daughter of etc.)
    Not Mico College perchance?

https://www.themico.edu.jm/web/www/the-mico-history
  • Options
    Off-topic:

Several fatalities after bridge collapsed at Florida University:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43418898

Apparently it was only moved into position last Saturday.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

About 20 years ago the BES did a survey of 10000 people

35% wc
    65% mc
    Zero respondents said uc
  • Options

I see PB's brain trust have moved from the minor issue of Russian aggression to tackling the real enemy:

women.

;)

Do leave it out. It is hilarious to watch you working your way towards a kind of cargo cult version of feminism - offering a ludicrously bad stab at mimicking the externals, and zero understanding of the internals.

The primary evidence on the President's Club thing was that of a woman, Madison Marriage, who reported that she and a lot of other women took a job with, in almost all cases, a full understanding of the nature of the job. They were happy with the situation, and she was happy that they were happy with the situation.

So here we have a cohort of upwards of 100 women, of adult age and sound mind, making an employment decision, and who could possibly be in a position to second guess them? A MAN is who, and here is JJ to put them right about their fluffy headed, hormone driven, feminine mistake. You say that pointing out that they made their own decision is "victim blaming," but how does that work? I am not blaming anyone except the (probably exclusively male) twats who organise and attend such functions. And victims of what? Delusions of socio-economic autonomy? Time of the month syndrome? What?

Your finest hour was your spluttering that anyone defending the President's Club (which I emphatically don't) "should be made to send their own daughter to work there." Just breathtaking: you genuinely think that women are available to be sent by their fathers to take a job which in your own view is disgusting, humiliating, degrading, whatever, purely to settle an argument between two elderly white males. See what I mean about cargo cultism? You think you are offering feminism, when what's on offer is patriarchal hegemony of a kind we thought had died out shortly after wotsisname asked the jury whether Lady Chatterly was the sort of book they would like their wives and servants to read.

Short version: they aren't chattels. If you detect in yourself elements of elderly white male phallocracy by all means work on their eradication, but leave those of us who have already moved on from the 1950s out of it.
  • Options

So Lord Pearson what first attracted you and UKIP to Tommy Robinson?

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/974340611984773121

Until our Politicians continue to fail to deal with Telford, Rotherham, Rochdale etc in a firm effective way the likes of Tommy Robinson will feed off it. Unless we just lock up the likes of him or anyone that dares to raise these issues. No doubt the Islamic rape gangs would love the cover of hate crime legislation to continue. https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/crime/2017/07/29/telford-sex-gang-ringleader-mubarek-ali-set-to-be-freed-early/
  • Options

Off-topic:

Oh crap, said the engineer who signed off the design - and his insurance company.

Even the Tacoma Narrows Bridge needed a bit of wind before she collapsed.
  • Options

Until our Politicians continue to fail to deal with Telford, Rotherham, Rochdale etc in a firm effective way the likes of Tommy Robinson will feed off it. Unless we just lock up the likes of him or anyone that dares to raise these issues. No doubt the Islamic rape gangs would love the cover of hate crime legislation to continue. https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/crime/2017/07/29/telford-sex-gang-ringleader-mubarek-ali-set-to-be-freed-early/
    Lord Pearson is not just a UKIP peer, but part of the ever expanding legion of former UKIP leaders as I recall.

Though of course we were told by Leavers that one benefit of Brexit would be to favour non EU immigration. Places like Pakistan and Bangladesh presumably.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

This obsession with “identity” and putting people into brainless pigeon holes is a fad that can’t be over too soon.

• Options

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/15/salisbury-attack-conflict-britain-cold-war

I like the last comment on this article-"Comments have been opened in error"!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Lord Pearson is not just a UKIP peer, but part of the ever expanding legion of former UKIP leaders as I recall.

Though of course we were told by Leavers that one benefit of Brexit would be to favour non EU immigration. Places like Pakistan and Bangladesh presumably.
    He has form; he was the one who asked Geert Wilders over.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

This obsession with “identity” and putting people into brainless pigeon holes is a fad that can’t be over too soon.

Brexit was all about identity. Nothing is more "identity politics" than nationalism.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,832
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/evening-standard-comment-russia-crisis-exposes-danger-of-pm-corbyn-a3790746.html

Interesting editorial presumably from Osborne himself.

While it's automatically and predictably scathing of Corbyn it does raise a key point or two - first, this segment:

Mr Corbyn is perfectly within his rights to question if it will work. Some ministers privately suspect it won’t.

It's a fair point. It's a point I raised repeatedly (and was shot down by certain of the more hysterical on here for even suggesting it) yesterday was whether anything proposed would have the slightest impact on Putin. I argued for a more wallet-based approach and it's interesting to see Washington follow that.

I do welcome the growing international co-operation but a lot of it is words at the moment and it remains to be seen if the likes of France and Germany emulate the UK and US in seeking some form of sanctions or punishment.

Of course, we now have the political posturing and points scoring. Cameron looked good when he flounced as did Brown when a couple of terrorist attacks were foiled in his early days and these kind of events get milked for all they're worth by the Government of the time.

Crises like this are easy for a Prime Minister - they can walk around looking and sounding authoritative and anyone who dares utter a word of criticism is immediately jumped on and accused of bring unpatriotic or a puppet of the enemy or whatever.

Democratic accountability and the right to criticise aren't switches to be turned on and off by events. For those on here who robustly champion freedom of speech and the right to offend, I raise the right to be critical, the right to scrutinise and the right to ask questions.

Past experience tells us we should always be sceptical of any Government's assertions in matters of this kind. Wrapping it all up in "national security" is all very well but in the absence of a substantive evidence-based report in the public domain, those of us rightly (I believe) sceptical of Government are going to continue to ask questions.

If one is sceptical of people in authority, one has to accept that they do quite often tell the truth, at least as they see it, rather than always assuming that they lie. And, when people in authority do lie, it's usually to avoid embarrassment, by covering up incompetence or scandal, rather than a deliberate attempt to manipulate public opinion.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056
    Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

This kind of comment usually provokes a Brexiteer response that the EU isn’t Europe, followed by someone saying they are British and not European.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Ishmael_Z said:

Do leave it out. It is hilarious to watch you working your way towards a kind of cargo cult version of feminism - offering a ludicrously bad stab at mimicking the externals, and zero understanding of the internals.

(Snip)

So here we have a cohort of upwards of 100 women, of adult age and sound mind, making an employment decision, and who could possibly be in a position to second guess them? A MAN is who, and here is JJ to put them right about their fluffy headed, hormone driven, feminine mistake. You say that pointing out that they made their own decision is "victim blaming," but how does that work? I am not blaming anyone except the (probably exclusively male) twats who organise and attend such functions. And victims of what? Delusions of socio-economic autonomy? Time of the month syndrome? What?

Your finest hour was your spluttering that anyone defending the President's Club (which I emphatically don't) "should be made to send their own daughter to work there." Just breathtaking: you genuinely think that women are available to be sent by their fathers to take a job which in your own view is disgusting, humiliating, degrading, whatever, purely to settle an argument between two elderly white males. See what I mean about cargo cultism? You think you are offering feminism, when what's on offer is patriarchal hegemony of a kind we thought had died out shortly after wotsisname asked the jury whether Lady Chatterly was the sort of book they would like their wives and servants to read.

Short version: they aren't chattels. If you detect in yourself elements of elderly white male phallocracy by all means work on their eradication, but leave those of us who have already moved on from the 1950s out of it.

Oh, you are a silly sausage.

I do not believe women are chattels in any way, as my posts show. I misspoke, and you have anally obsessed about it since. All my other posts; in fact our entire life situation, shows what rot you are typing. For that one mistake, I hereby apologise; however, any sensible person should have seen beyond it, for the fundamental underlying points I was making are still clear.

You have never addressed the points I have made once. Since you're evidently a capable fellow, that's evidently because you don't have an answer. Instead you've gone off on a hate-spree against me.

I'm unsure why you're doing this, aside from the fact that I've got good points you wish to shout down.

I'm also not interested in feminism per se; what I'm in favour of is equality which, although it should not be, tends to be a rather different thing. In fact, you;ll find plenty of posts where I criticise feminists.

Short version: don't be silly.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    3 by-elections today: 1 in Redcar and 2 in Stamford.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,449
    If Nikki Haley can hold in there and turn in a few more performances like yesterday, you wonder if she might just have a shot as a future candidate.

That said, being fired by Trump might become a badge of honour..
  • Options

women.

;)

Why would we make an enemy of women ?
    How else will tea be made and carpets hoovered :o
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Off-topic:

Oh crap, said the engineer who signed off the design - and his insurance company.

Even the Tacoma Narrows Bridge needed a bit of wind before she collapsed.
    Many structures - particularly bridges - are at their least stable during construction, and there have been numerous collapses over the years. It may not be the actual design of the completed bridge at fault, but the construction procedure, e.g. failure of temporary supports. Often these don't get quite as much design work as they should have as they are meant to be temporary.

Or it might even be something as simple as a high vehicle not having realised it had been erected and trying to drive under it.

But it sounds as though it's meant to be a cable-stayed bridge, and there are no cables (or pylons as far as I could see) yet. It may be that they're this modern trend for false stays (which do not take any load), or it may have been very weak before they're put up. But if that;s the case, I'd have expected the pylon(s) to be up so they cables can be attached quickly.

My 'favourite' was the Cleddau Bridge collapse in Wales:
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/just-another-summers-day-bridge-12964559

The houses below were very lucky. The four men, less so.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

women.

;)

Why would we make an enemy of women ?
    How else will tea be made and carpets hoovered :o
    Oi! That's my job!

(fx: checks contents of pants). Yep, I'm still male. ;)
  • Options

If Nikki Haley can hold in there and turn in a few more performances like yesterday, you wonder if she might just have a shot as a future candidate.

That said, being fired by Trump might become a badge of honour..
    I can’t see it being a badge of honour with the Republican base.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,283
    edited March 2018
    Squeaky Bum time for Arsenal
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,555
    ydoethur said:

RoyalBlue said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

If you want to be fair, you need to compare like or female?

Nah, I couldn't be a Michael Gove. I'm intelligent and an expert in everything he talks bollocks about.
    Ye gods ... I had no idea you were quite so well educated.
  • Options
    Maybe not
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,387
    edited March 2018
    I see Danny Welbeck has been taking lessons on diving/cheating from dirty Dele Alli.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

RoyalBlue said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

If you want to be fair, or female?

I had no idea you were quite so well educated....
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited March 2018

Was there the same national public outrage including from politicians and the media as there has been about the planned early release of John Warboys. Warboys had served ten years - this guy was the ring leader and had served only 5. Or don't poor northern underage girls who can't afford taxis count as much.
  • Options
    @Charles Well the upper class is quite small to be honest. On this board I can only think of two people I'd classify into it.
  • Options
    RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359
    edited March 2018
    brendan16 said:

Was there the same national public outrage including from politicians and the media as there has been about the planned early release of John Warboys. Warboys had served ten years - this guy was the ring leader and had served only 5. Or don't poor northern underage girls who can't afford taxis count as much.
    Of course they don't count - none of the actual and potential victims help set the running order for Newsnight.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@Charles Well the upper class is quite small to be honest. On this board I can only think of two people I'd classify into it.

@JackW of course, but who else? :)
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,930
    AndyJS said:

The Redcar result will be interesting. The ward has been won by Labour, Lib Dem, Tory, and Ind in recent years. The Ind candidate is a former Labour councillor for the ward, The Lib Dem candidate stood for Labour in the last by-election in Redcar. So it's a complete toss-up!
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

How very dare you madam .... I'm far too grand to be merely upper class .... :sunglasses:
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Neither @JackW or I qualify!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Yes he's one. @tlg86 is closing but definitely middle :p.
    Can't possibly think of who the other one was now ;)
  • Options
    Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Quite correct.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Some way to go before we match 'jade faced whore' (C. Patten).
  • Options
    JackW said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Quite correct.
    Sucks to be post Lloyd George :tongue:
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    slade said:

AndyJS said:

The Redcar result will be interesting. The ward has been won by Labour, Lib Dem, Tory, and Ind in recent years. The Ind candidate is a former Labour councillor for the ward, The Lib Dem candidate stood for Labour in the last by-election in Redcar. So it's a complete toss-up!
    And UKIP aren't standing in an area they used to do quite well in.
  • Options
    Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Quite correct.
    Sucks to be post Lloyd George :tongue:
    I never had relations with that woman ..... chews cigar .....

Neither do any of my relations resemble a Welsh goat .... although there was a distant cousin .... Hhmmm ... best leave that one !!
This discussion has been closed.