Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Theresa May may well yet achieve her ambition of leading her p

Comments

• Options
    HHemmelig said:

TOPPING said:

HHemmelig said:

TOPPING said:

I'm up for May vs Corbyn take 2, think Labour will fancy their chances of improving on their current position in that scenario.

Also the talk of Corbyn being replaced is very optimistic, it just doesn't look likely at all.

Tezza would have to up her game by significantly more than Jezza.

I can hear her advisors saying: "But you handled the Russian crisis so well and everyone saw you fist bump that actual person so there really is no need to take part in the debates..."
    Jezza's biggest enemy is time. He is the classic Old Man In A Hurry, of whom the old saying warns us to beware. He will be 73 in 2022 and this will seriously damage his chances of winning the election if the parliament runs its full course. His best chance of becoming PM is & always has been if an early election is forced.
    If he is eloquent on the stump, wears his Wolfie apparel to public gatherings and Goldman Sachs suit & tie on Newsnight I don't think people will mind his age.

I was going to then say, that if anyone should mention it, he needs only make a reference to the Royal Family and their longevity to a) disperse criticism, and b) bring the unlikeliest of sceptics on side...but then I realised, sadly, that no one can be sure who will be the monarch, come 2020 although I would happily back at odds on it will still be HMQ.
    You might be right, but many people age a great deal between their late 60s and early 70s. Especially in a highly stressful job like his when most of those his age are already retired. Will people really be willing to elect someone who will be pushing 80 at the time of the following election? Presumably against a younger and fresher face on the Tory side? It does depend of course who the Tories replace May with. But some people I know on the sane side of the Labour party are not confident that there will ever be a Prime Minister Corbyn.
    As long as it is not Gavin Williamson as the fresher face !!!
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,712

Not entirely clear what this means.....

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/974587573149585409

The scenarios described to Sky News have been broadly interpreted by the industry as "hard Brexit", "soft Brexit" and "no deal". It is the last scenario that has raised the most eyebrows in industry.

"This is what we call the 'Throw Open the Borders option,'" said one operator. The scenario involves the UK on day one of Brexit unilaterally deciding not to enforce customs checks, and other border checks, and presuming that a reciprocal approach will be taken by the European Union, and thus at least temporarily maintaining a non-negotiated form of frictionless trade in goods.

https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-forensics-playing-chicken-with-the-channel-tunnel-11291767
    The "UK on day one of Brexit unilaterally deciding not to enforce customs checks, and other border checks" - is that 'taking back control' and will it tackle immigration problems?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847

When he isn't jacking off horses, your uncle subs for the DM.

https://twitter.com/henrymance/status/974575730641244161

Hahaha - brilliant on so many levels!

(I haven't lowered myself to buy it, so this is just hearsay, but one of the comments to Mance's twitter notes that the DM still has "Newspaper of the Year" in it's masthead. Not that they're sore or anything.)
    Latest circulation figures show the Mail has lost its crown to...the Metro!

Interesting to see that the FT outsells the Guardian. And the Evening Standard is 6th most widely read in the country.

All papers continue to lose (physical) circulation numbers, although the free ones are broadly static.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

I think the last sentence is incorrect, if there is one thing that we know about Jezza is that he is not one to sweat over polling shifts and unpopularity.

And quite rightly too I think.
    Except, if the polls were to settle around say Tories 42%, Labour 35% - there will be the dawning realisation that Corbyn is not going to stop them from going down to yet another defeat to the Tories. That will start concentrating minds.
    But the Faithful will point to what happened during the campaign last year, and think it could play out the same way again.
    Well he's a good campaigner. May doesn't need to beat him campaigning, but the public will forgive her slightly wooden manner providing she shows up
    And doesn’t promise to nick your granny’s house if she loses her marbles..
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    Dear Guardian,

Any article that features this

"On social media, there were arguments that the novichok could have come from some part of the former Soviet Union other than Russia, such as Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan or Ukraine, or some non-state group, maybe criminals."

as the fifth paragraph and as a key twist in the tale really needs a strong, hard looking at.
  • Options

HHemmelig said:

I think you're also forgetting about Brexit, she's got to come up with a deal that satisfies the like of both JRM and Anna Soubry.

Discuss: Vladimir Putin has just ensured a Hard/no deal/WTO Brexit with the events in Salisbury.

No Tory MP will rebel now, they just won’t risk making Corbyn PM after Corbyn's conduct this week.

Actually I think it may have made a softer Brexit more likely
    Let's hope it strengthens her ability to withstand the pressure against a sensible soft Brexit from Mogg's end of the party.

I agree May is having a good crisis so far. Her response has been measured and careful, in contrast to the silly and unstatesmanlike outbursts from Boris and Gavin Williamson.
    Boris is Boris but Williamson is immature and when I heard his response yesterday I was stunned by it. He has a very long way to go
    How long can Boris get away with things because "Boris is Boris"?
    No idea but probably indefinitely but it is unlikely he will succeed TM (he will not get my vote)
    Glad to hear it!

Is there a serious possibility that, if May is challenged, she makes it to the last two and if so would the membership back her? I always feel that the Tory membership (small though it is theses days!) has a strong streak of loyalty through it.
    I do not expect a challenge as she would win it and as far as this member is concerned I think most know I am loyal to the leadership
    You are indeed - and although I really dislike many Tory policies, I salute your loyalty. TMay is one of the better Tories.
    Thanks and TM is a decent hard working honest politician which we all need more of. I have to say I have been impressed with the grown up labour mps this week including Cooper, Starmer, Benn and many others who stood up to Corbyn and the tragedy is that they are being led by a marxist leader whose office is staffed with marxists and who now have the communist party fully endorsing them. Something has to give sooner or later
  • Options
    HHemmeligHHemmelig Posts: 617
    edited March 2018
    TOPPING said:

And we can only hope that they are right. But I can see the scenario whereby they aren't and I hope to hell that Tezza's or the Cons Party's advisers can also.

On a side note, I had previously teetered on the edge of the side of the corner of no-man's land of thinking that if Lab get someone halfway sensible, and the Cons had continued on the JRM-induced bonkers Brexit path, then I could see how I would, er, perhaps, maybe, NOT vote Cons.

But I have to say that things seem to have untoxified a tadge at Cons HQ.

I have been thinking along similar lines. In addition to what you write, Granpa Vince has been a huge letdown. Time and time again we see how high flying MPs who return after losing their seat almost never get their old mojo back (eg Portillo*).

*EDIT - Tony Benn perhaps an even better example
  • Options

Dear Guardian,

Any article that features this

"On social media, there were arguments that the novichok could have come from some part of the former Soviet Union other than Russia, such as Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan or Ukraine, or some non-state group, maybe criminals."

as the fifth paragraph and as a key twist in the tale really needs a strong, hard looking at.

Another thing the cult share with trump supporters, conspiracy theories... eg grenfall tower death cover ups etc
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Sandpit said:

HHemmelig said:

I think you're also forgetting about Brexit, she's got to come up with a deal that satisfies the like of both JRM and Anna Soubry.

Discuss: Vladimir Putin has just ensured a Hard/no deal/WTO Brexit with the events in Salisbury.

No Tory MP will rebel now, they just won’t risk making Corbyn PM after Corbyn's conduct this week.

The EU won't risk Corbyn becoming PM after this week. What support could they expect from him if Putin comes calling on one of their members. The EU will want a deal that keeps May in situ.
    I don't think that the EU has such a short term view or one that implies they want to influence the internal politics of another country.
    Plus some powerful EU states, notably Germany, do too much business with Russia and are too dependent on their gas supplies to be willing to provoke a belligerent new mini cold war. Yesterday Merkel and Macron felt they had to express solidarity with us but that doesn't mean they will support a concrete response that moves beyond a mild or meaningless knuckle rap for Putin.
    Which is why Europe needs to get fracking. Starting yesterday.
    The US is expanding its LNG export capacity. That's another option. Hopefully Salisbury will indirectly punt 'energy security' firmly up European political agendas. Good news for nuclear as well, I'd have thought.
  • Options

Faisal Islam and Adam Boulton have led a campaign this week on Sky to demolish leave and to influence us to stay. It has been blatant pro remain propaganda unworthy of a so called balanced broadcaster.

But then you only need to see Faisal Islam's tweets on this forum to see he obsessed with the EU
    There is either a 'Secret Brexit Deal' or there is not. If there is it's news.
    Just let the negotiators get on with it and stop speculating and spin pro remain information
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,980
    edited March 2018
    Mr. M, are, we should get fracking.

Edited extra bit: aye*, even.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,283

Faisal Islam and Adam Boulton have led a campaign this week on Sky to demolish leave and to influence us to stay. It has been blatant pro remain propaganda unworthy of a so called balanced broadcaster.

But then you only need to see Faisal Islam's tweets on this forum to see he obsessed with the EU
    Just let the negotiators get on with it and stop speculating and spin pro remain information
    Let's not say idiotic, but let's say inappropriate comment to make on an politics-focused internet chatroom.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    HHemmelig said:

The EU won't risk Corbyn becoming PM after this week. What support could they expect from him if Putin comes calling on one of their members. The EU will want a deal that keeps May in situ.
    I don't think that the EU has such a short term view or one that implies they want to influence the internal politics of another country.
    Plus some powerful EU states, notably Germany, do too much business with Russia and are too dependent on their gas supplies to be willing to provoke a belligerent new mini cold war. Yesterday Merkel and Macron felt they had to express solidarity with us but that doesn't mean they will support a concrete response that moves beyond a mild or meaningless knuckle rap for Putin.
    The trade aspect can be overstated. Russia lies 14th on the list of Germany's export markets. Germany does twice as much trade with Poland as with Russia.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,301
    Surely Theresa wouldn't be human if she hadn't considered the possibility of calling another snap election over the events of recent weeks. She could fight it solely on the basis of national security under the 'Who protects Britain?' slogan. Brexit has taken a back seat and Theresa has appeared strong and stable for the first time in ages. She must have been tempted.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    Quite brilliant this morning from Phil Collins on Labour and possibly the UK under Corbyn/Milne:

"There is a lot of talk in the air about a new party but there is already a new party. This is nothing like the Labour Party."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/corbyn-s-line-on-russia-shows-his-true-colours-g203x0w83
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,884

F1: early forecast, but rain may happen for the Australian Grand Prix. In those circumstances, Verstappen, Alonso and maybe Hulkenberg will be value.

That’s a good shout. Checks odds on Alonso for a podium.
  • Options
    All this TM worship is a bit manic depressive.

She’s still crap.
    She still lacks vision.
    She still appoints duffers to key jobs.
    She still can’t make decisions.
    She still can’t campaign.
    She still can’t communicate properly.

Even Gordon Brown was better, he had intellectual heft.

And the movement in the last poll was pretty meh, considering events. Tory majority of 2 even when the Russians are trying to murder people on British soil. Underwhelming.
  • Options

(I haven't lowered myself to buy it, so this is just hearsay, but one of the comments to Mance's twitter notes that the DM still has "Newspaper of the Year" in it's masthead. Not that they're sore or anything.)

Interesting to see that the FT outsells the Guardian. And the Evening Standard is 6th most widely read in the country.

All papers continue to lose (physical) circulation numbers, although the free ones are broadly static.
    The Mail is now available on line at £9.99 per month with copy released nightly at 11.00pm. My newsagent said he was seeing a large number of cancellations of deliveries when I cancelled mine and went on line. By the way I would not be too fussed to continue with it but my wife loves the puzzles
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658

Surely Theresa wouldn't be human if she hadn't considered the possibility of calling another snap election over the events of recent weeks. She could fight it solely on the basis of national security under the 'Who protects Britain?' slogan. Brexit has taken a back seat and Theresa has appeared strong and stable for the first time in ages. She must have been tempted.

Don't tell Brenda!
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

Pretty unrealistic to expect news to stop reporting about Brexit!

I'd also hazard a guess that your news consumption is rather high... perhaps just cut back a bit on it? I've eased up on reading about Brexit and feel much more relaxed for it.
  • Options
    ABLAABLABLAABL Posts: 23
    "To think that only a few weeks ago there was renewed speculation about the number of CON MP letters calling for a confidence vote in Mrs May going to the 1922 committee chairman Graham Brady."

Can someone please help we with a question I have?

Can MPs who have sent their letter to the 1922 Committee with draw it? Say for instance a brexiteer MP sent it back in December but is now quite happy can he take it back or they are cumulative?

Thanks!
  • Options
    I too have thought for a while there is a good chance May could fight the 2022 election. If she gets a good Brexit deal then it becomes harder to oust her. If she gets a bad Brexit deal then no-one else may want the job. However, there a few factors against to consider:

If she stands in 2022 then she will be 65 and will have been PM for 6 years. There will be bound to be questions of whether she plans to serve a full term to 2027 or plans to handover. This will be mitigated to an extent if she is standing against Corbyn.

Then there is a question of whether she has learnt the lessons from 2017 (and is capable of changing):

- Allowing her cabinet colleagues (particularly the Chancellor) to feature more prominently
    - Getting the cabinet more involved in the manifesto
    - Being less scripted and meeting the public more
    - Doing the debates

Is she willing to nurture and promote the new generation coming through (say with a reshuffle in 2021)

• Options
    rkrkrk said:

Pretty unrealistic to expect news to stop reporting about Brexit!

I'd also hazard a guess that your news consumption is rather high... perhaps just cut back a bit on it? I've eased up on reading about Brexit and feel much more relaxed for it.
    Perhaps replace it with a spending more time on the puzzle pages...there are some real tough ones out there, questions like what are the Lib Dem’s for...been stuck on that one all week.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Let's not say idiotic, but let's say inappropriate comment to make on an politics-focused internet chatroom.
    Neither idiotic or inappropriate but I do accept your point - it is just frustration by me at the constant speculation
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

Leaving aside the mechanics of calling one (that is, calling for the commons to vote for one), I actually do struggle to see her considering the possibility. There had been a sustained period of really goof Tory leads and an opposition whose leader was clearly disliked and distrusted by a significant number of his own MPs, the temptation to shore up a tricky Brexit position in those circumstances was clearly immense, and eventually she gave in.

But now? A few weeks of relatively less grief would I think not erase the wounds of the 2017 campaign, and I don't see how she would think it a good idea even briefly. Yes the ultimate goal of getting a majority back, a better one, would still be a temptation, but the risks would be much higher, and I don't see how she would think to convince her MPs it was a good idea, even if she momentarily considered it.
  • Options

I hope not
  • Options
    Just to add - another possibility is that she could stand down in summer 2021, giving her a respectable 5 years in office and hoping her successor gets a polling bounce just before the election.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,301
    ABLAABL said:

"To think that only a few weeks ago there was renewed speculation about the number of CON MP letters calling for a confidence vote in Mrs May going to the 1922 committee chairman Graham Brady."

Can MPs who have sent their letter to the 1922 Committee with draw it? Say for instance a brexiteer MP sent it back in December but is now quite happy can he take it back or they are cumulative?

Thanks!

And what if the MP dies and is succeeded in a by-election. Will his letter still count?
  • Options

The Mail is now available on line at £9.99 per month with copy released nightly at 11.00pm. My newsagent said he was seeing a large number of cancellations of deliveries when I cancelled mine and went on line. By the way I would not be too fussed to continue with it but my wife loves the puzzles
    You can get The Guardian on-line for free - just saying. :smile:
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Not only is May safer but betting slips with 2018 GE on them are not worth what they were.

• Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046

HHemmelig said:

The trade aspect can be overstated. Russia lies 14th on the list of Germany's export markets. Germany does twice as much trade with Poland as with Russia.
    The Rouble bobbles up and down. An improved Russian economy would be rich pickings for Germany. But I still find it hard to believe their insouciance is purely economic.
  • Options
    ABLAABL said:

Thanks!

I think its been stated before than someone could withdraw their letter. It would seem only fair and natural for that to be the case, though if memory serves those who send in their letters don't know how many have already been sent, so don't know for certain if theirs will push the cumulative number over the line.
  • Options

Without speculation, partisanship and spinning this site would be:

*tumbleweed*

The 24 hour news cycle sits badly with slow paced, secretive processes like Brexit.

Just let it wash over you. 'Que sera sera' as the great philosopher Doris Day tells us. Or, for M. Dancer 'Whatever happens at all happens as it should'.
  • Options
    Right, been good chatting to you but I'm off to the war-zone that is Salisbury for lunch with my good lady wife. If you never hear from me again...
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/03/15/jeremy-corbyn-warns-theresa-may-not-rush-way-ahead-evidence/

Ouch

"The father in law of the Salisbury policeman who suffered the effects of the nerve agent used to poison Russian spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter has criticised Jeremy Corbyn’s "mealy mouthed" response to the attack.

William Pomeroy, whose daughter Sarah is married to Detective Sergeant Nick Bailey - currently recovering from the nerve agent attack - said he felt let down by Mr Corbyn.

Speaking to The Daily Telegraph, the lifelong Labour supporter said: “I’m very disappointed in Mr Corbyn. He’s said almost nothing about this and has come across as very weak on it.”"
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Neither idiotic or inappropriate but I do accept your point - it is just frustration by me at the constant speculation
    It is frustration by you that people on here disagree with you more like.
  • Options

Big G is probably one of the bigger May fans around here and I wouldn't say he worships her, so not sure where you get that from the thought she's been handling this matter a bit better than other things.
  • Options
    John_M said:

*tumbleweed*

The 24 hour news cycle sits badly with slow paced, secretive processes like Brexit.

Just let it wash over you. 'Que sera sera' as the great philosopher Doris Day tells us. Or, for M. Dancer 'Whatever happens at all happens as it should'.
    I rewatched some episodes of "The Trip" last night. It is sheer brilliance. This in particular (cf. Doris Day/que sera sera).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kshVTWomkoI
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    Sandpit said:

Leaving aside the politics, Russian gas is the cheapest and most consistent supply of gas to Europe. Russia nowadays will undercut any competitive price. The infrastructure was paid for long ago, it's simply the extraction and a minimal transportation cost now. There are alternatives to Russian gas, mainly as LPG, but they are less abundant and more expensive. Doing without Russian gas entirely is difficult for the EU. Nevertheless sanctions force Russia to reduce its prices, so there is a significant cost to those sanctions.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/03/15/jeremy-corbyn-warns-theresa-may-not-rush-way-ahead-evidence/

Ouch

"The father in law of the Salisbury policeman who suffered the effects of the nerve agent used to poison Russian spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter has criticised Jeremy Corbyn’s "mealy mouthed" response to the attack.

William Pomeroy, whose daughter Sarah is married to Detective Sergeant Nick Bailey - currently recovering from the nerve agent attack - said he felt let down by Mr Corbyn.

Speaking to The Daily Telegraph, the lifelong Labour supporter said: “I’m very disappointed in Mr Corbyn. He’s said almost nothing about this and has come across as very weak on it.”"

I don't know about generally, but I know several Labour people from Salisbury (one of the few areas of genuine strength for the party in Wiltshire) and they were never Corbyn fans.

Though to be blunt, as bad as those comments are for Corbyn to hear, its not like that sort of thing from IRA victims and the like hindered him much. Granted this is much more immediate, but of course an election is not immediate.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    Labour MPs. Time to make a stand and resign the whip says Nelson:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/03/15/anti-corbyn-labour-mps-one-option-left-break-party/
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,280
    edited March 2018

I do read the Guardian on line most days and have not as yet responded to their donation request at the end of each article.

And the Mail on line is half the daily delivered version and I keep my wife happy with the puzzles
  • Options
    They are hardly likely to listen to Fraser Nelson!
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,326
    Interesting that no-one on this site has commented on the significant climbdown by the EU on the UK being able to sign new trade deals during the transition period.

I presume this is because it doesn't fit the UK takes a permanent fisting from the EU day-in, day-out narrative.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

HHemmelig said:

Surely a lot more expensive than Russian gas?
    Surely a lot cheaper than relying on your supplies from a rogue nation?
  • Options
    Ahahahahaha.

Ahem

Ahahahahaha.

They always have more than one option. Ostriching was the previous approach, no reason to suspect it won't be again. I do feel for those anti-corbyn MPs who feel he is unacceptable but that the party situation prevents them doing anything about it, but long ago they faced the crossroads of whether to stick it out come what may and hope for a chance to fix things, or to leave, and they made their choice.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Big G is probably one of the bigger May fans around here and I wouldn't say he worships her, so not sure where you get that from the thought she's been handling this matter a bit better than other things.
    Who mentioned Big G?
  • Options

Interesting that no-one on this site has commented on the significant climbdown by the EU on the UK being able to sign new trade deals during the transition period.

I presume this is because it doesn't fit the UK takes a permanent fisting from the EU day-in, day-out narrative.

Actually its because i hadn't heard about it.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955
    HHemmelig said:

TOPPING said:

And we can only hope that they are right. But I can see the scenario whereby they aren't and I hope to hell that Tezza's or the Cons Party's advisers can also.

On a side note, I had previously teetered on the edge of the side of the corner of no-man's land of thinking that if Lab get someone halfway sensible, and the Cons had continued on the JRM-induced bonkers Brexit path, then I could see how I would, er, perhaps, maybe, NOT vote Cons.

I have been thinking along similar lines. In addition to what you write, Granpa Vince has been a huge letdown. Time and time again we see how high flying MPs who return after losing their seat almost never get their old mojo back (eg Portillo*).

Churchill?
  • Options

Sometimes the best advice can come from an unlikely source, and an outsider's perspective is needed to gain true clarity of a situation.

Though I would think they are hardly likely to consider he has their best interests in mind.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Who mentioned Big G?
    I used him as an illustrative example. If he is not displaying worship, as a very loyal conservative, then is anyone really showing such worship that you are seeing?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,280
    edited March 2018
    John_M said:

*tumbleweed*

Agreed - my comments born out of frustration - please disregard

Just want Brexit finished hopefully now with a softer element
  • Options

Everyone on this site commented on it.

Yesterday.

Yes it is a concession, if true, but nothing will be implemented and, as small children in Bruges and Bradford would have pointed out, were they contributors to PB: what sensible third country would negotiate and sign a trade deal with the UK until they knew what the final UK-EU settlement looked like?
  • Options

The scenarios described to Sky News have been broadly interpreted by the industry as "hard Brexit", "soft Brexit" and "no deal". It is the last scenario that has raised the most eyebrows in industry.

"This is what we call the 'Throw Open the Borders option,'" said one operator. The scenario involves the UK on day one of Brexit unilaterally deciding not to enforce customs checks, and other border checks, and presuming that a reciprocal approach will be taken by the European Union, and thus at least temporarily maintaining a non-negotiated form of frictionless trade in goods.

https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-forensics-playing-chicken-with-the-channel-tunnel-11291767
    The "UK on day one of Brexit unilaterally deciding not to enforce customs checks, and other border checks" - is that 'taking back control' and will it tackle immigration problems?
    The immigration problems are to do with the right of EU citizens to issuance of NI numbers and entitlement to benefits, rather than anything that happens at the border itself.
  • Options

Right, been good chatting to you but I'm off to the war-zone that is Salisbury for lunch with my good lady wife. If you never hear from me again...

Good to see Theresa has encouraged you to show solidarity with her and to support the good people of Salisbury !!!!
  • Options
    Liverpool v City in the Champions League Quarters.
  • Options

Really - that is so funny
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    FF43 said:

Sandpit said:

Leaving aside the politics, Russian gas is the cheapest and most consistent supply of gas to Europe. Russia nowadays will undercut any competitive price. The infrastructure was paid for long ago, it's simply the extraction and a minimal transportation cost now. There are alternatives to Russian gas, mainly as LPG, but they are less abundant and more expensive. Doing without Russian gas entirely is difficult for the EU. Nevertheless sanctions force Russia to reduce its prices, so there is a significant cost to those sanctions.

Why not just slap a 100% tax on Russian gas? It'd enable it to keep flowing while encouraging users to source alternative supplies. Of course, Russia might respond by turning the taps off but that would hardly help their reputation for being the reliable supplier that W Europe is looking for.
  • Options

Shit. We already had our one win against them.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

We’ll be fine. We’ll beat them at Anfield 4 or 5 nil then play out a bore draw at the Etihad.
  • Options

FF43 said:

Sandpit said:

Why not just slap a 100% tax on Russian gas? It'd enable it to keep flowing while encouraging users to source alternative supplies. Of course, Russia might respond by turning the taps off but that would hardly help their reputation for being the reliable supplier that W Europe is looking for.
    Indeed. The key is voluntarily paying more for your gas than you need to. Getting everyone to sign up isn't always easy.

Russia did turn the taps off earlier on in the Ukraine crisis, something the USSR never did even at the coldest point of the Cold War. It was counterproductive as that was the only time the EU got serious about alternatives.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    Madrid vs Juve the other big tie.

Barca and Bayern must be pleased with the draw.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Who mentioned Big G?
    I suppose it is easy to conclude that but you did not mention me but also I do not worship TM , just respect her as a decent honest hard working politician who has many faults
  • Options
    HHemmeligHHemmelig Posts: 617
    dixiedean said:

HHemmelig said:

TOPPING said:

Churchill?
    I can't think of many examples in the post war era. Michael Foot perhaps.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Post easter period will be busy in the northwest -

The Merseyside and Manchester derbies are sandwiched between the two Man City - Liverpool CL ties.

• Options
    Mr. Sandpit, odds aren't up yet, only for the winner market (fifth the odds for top 3, though).
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Sandpit said:

Indeed. The key is voluntarily paying more for your gas than you need to. Getting everyone to sign up isn't always easy.
    True. Although price isn't measured solely in Euros.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Russia has underestimated the "resolve and unity" of the UK's allies, the head of Nato has said after the nerve agent attack on an ex-spy and his daughter.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43429152
  • Options
    Mr. Z, ironically, Russia's long term antics (Litvinenko, Skripal, US elections, plane being shot down) may be giving NATO the enemy it needs to cement its ongoing existence.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331
    I've been saying for some time that people underestimate TM's chances of staying till the election. Possession is 9 points of the law, and a post-Brexit casus belli for backbenchers is not obvious. Whether the Tories will find she is then an effective campaigner is another matter.

Meanwhile. the SPD seems to be getting a modest bounce out of the deal with Merkel, contrary to most expectations:

http://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/politbarometer.htm
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    kle4 said:

What a disappointing draw. At least Barca would have been Barca.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Mr. Z, ironically, Russia's long term antics (Litvinenko, Skripal, US elections, plane being shot down) may be giving NATO the enemy it needs to cement its ongoing existence.

NATO defence spending has been rising (in real terms) since 2015, and increased by 7.5% in the last couple of years. That still puts it below the pre-crash spending, but as European economies improve, we should expect that increased outlay to continue, together with the additional funds needed for the EDF.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Ishmael_Z said:

Russia has underestimated the "resolve and unity" of the UK's allies, the head of Nato has said after the nerve agent attack on an ex-spy and his daughter.

The Russians uncannily time their outrageous acts so they hit just at the point when people have started to forget their previous one. It keeps the resolve going on the sanctions for a while longer.

Edit This might not be a coincidence. Ordinary Russians probably also start to forget.
  • Options

I've been saying for some time that people underestimate TM's chances of staying till the election. Possession is 9 points of the law, and a post-Brexit casus belli for backbenchers is not obvious. Whether the Tories will find she is then an effective campaigner is another matter.

That question has already been answered and is the casus belli.
  • Options
    HHemmelig said:

TOPPING said:

Benn did it twice, of course. Once after he disclaimed his peerage; the second after he lost in 1983.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Theresa May's ratings and image as PM have been a roller-coaster ride. She went from being absurdly over-praised in late 2016 and early 2017, to being unfairly vilified during and after the GE2017 campaign. What we are seeing now is a reversion to something like a sensible mean: clearly she's a decent woman working very hard for Britain in the extremely difficult circumstances of Brexit, and someone whom you can rely on in crises like the current one. At the same time, she's a pretty useless campaigner, who often gets the tone wrong and who has made a series of unforced political errors, including the humdinger of GE2017. So a better PM than she is public-facing politician or manager of her party.

Although one hesitates to make any firm predictions in the current environment, I think Tory MPs broadly accept this analysis, and I continue to think that by far the most likely outcome is that she will retire with honour before the next election, having done her duty (very important to her) by delivering Brexit and stepping in to fill the post-Cameron void. The party will be able to thank her for her good work, and move on to someone younger and better at actually winning elections.

For that matter, would she really want to put herself through the ordeal of any election campaign, knowing how disastrously she performed last time and having no-one to blame but herself? Obviously we can't look into her mind, and my only personal knowledge of her is one conversation with her, but I'd think not.
  • Options
    Some small Gold cup punts:
    Djakadam (25-1) & Saphir Du Rheu (80-1), SkyBet 5 places at 1-5 if 14 run (Currently 15 to start), both £5 E/W
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

The Russians uncannily time their outrageous acts so they hit just at the point when people have started to forget their previous one. It keeps the resolve going on the sanctions for a while longer.

Edit This might not be a coincidence. Ordinary Russians probably also start to forget.
    'The Rodina under siege' meme has been keeping Russian autocrats in power for centuries.
  • Options
    Mr. 43, but long term the sanctions impact weakens Russia's economy to a fairly significant degree. Is it really worth it, to knock off a defector once a decade whilst pissing off most of the Western world?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

That question has already been answered and is the casus belli.
    Precisely.
  • Options
    Hardly a site sympathetic to Corbyn, but I can see the logic of the concluding point.

Do not fall into the trap of thinking that this is the moment Corbyn begins to come unstuck. Worryingly, his “constructive ambiguity” on the Salisbury attack could even make him stronger.

https://capx.co/corbyns-response-to-the-salisbury-attack-is-no-slip-up/
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Theresa May's ratings and image as PM have been a roller-coaster ride. She went from being absurdly over-praised in late 2016 and early 2017, to being unfairly vilified during and after the GE2017 campaign. What we are seeing now is a reversion to something like a sensible mean: clearly she's a decent woman working very hard for Britain in the extremely difficult circumstances of Brexit, and someone whom you can rely on in crises like the current one. At the same time, she's a pretty useless campaigner, who often gets the tone wrong and who has made a series of unforced political errors, including the humdinger of GE2017. So a better PM than she is public-facing politician or manager of her party.

Although one hesitates to make any firm predictions in the current environment, I think Tory MPs broadly accept this analysis, and I continue to think that by far the most likely outcome is that she will retire with honour before the next election, having done her duty (very important to her) by delivering Brexit and stepping in to fill the post-Cameron void. The party will be able to thank her for her good work, and move on to someone younger and better at actually winning elections.

For that matter, would she really want to put herself through the ordeal of any election campaign, knowing how disastrously she performed last time and having no-one to blame but herself? Obviously we can't look into her mind, and my only personal knowledge of her is one conversation with her, but I'd think not.

I'd generally agree with this analysis, though there is the question of who could replace, as there's a bunch of old guard figures with known glaring flaws and a fixed public image, and most of the newer guard aren't being given a chance to sink or swim yet, which might suggest she is planning for the long haul.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    kle4 said:

Hardly a site sympathetic to Corbyn, but I can see the logic of the concluding point.

Do not fall into the trap of thinking that this is the moment Corbyn begins to come unstuck. Worryingly, his “constructive ambiguity” on the Salisbury attack could even make him stronger.

https://capx.co/corbyns-response-to-the-salisbury-attack-is-no-slip-up/

Given how bonkers the country is at the moment that’s my fear, bit like despite corbyn being a terrorist sympathiser, McDonnell wanting to get rid of the security services and Dianne having no idea about police numbers, the terrorist attack bizarrely helped putins puppet and not may (despite her response being the best moment of the GE campaign for her).
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

One hopes the Western response will sort out Russia's delusions of superpowerhood once and for all.

I am massively relieved at how well things have gone, compared with what might have happened - Trump being an isolationist arse on behalf of both US and NATO, Germany and France saying You're on your own now, were both real possibilities at the beginning of the week.

It's also a rather backhanded compliment to democracy if Putin has overplayed his hand because of upcoming elections - it shows that even imperfect, corrupt and virtually illusory democracy can have beneficial effects.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850
    Interesting piece could backfire on Ms indecisive who decided to be decisive on Russia if true.

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2018/03/of-a-type-developed-by-liars/
  • Options

Interesting piece could backfire on Ms indecisive who decided to be decisive on Russia if true.

Oh god, you are now on an even nuttier site than squawkbox....
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105

When The Guardian starts paying you, maybe.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    I’m not going to bloody Moscow.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,619

He's complaining that the government has been accurate?

Its a chemical compound of course you can't tell where its been manufactured.....not like a radioisotope where there's a good chance you can narrow down its source......but why not throw in the Jews Israel for good measure.....they've got previous for murdering former Russian spies, surely?
  • Options

You know its not true do you?

Still you post loads of stuff from Order Order which is king of nuttiness.

Never actually heard of this chap but i see he describes himself as a Historian and human rights activist. Former British Ambassador.

How do you know he as a nutter please?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Have you been invited :D ?
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

As splits in the Labour party go - this one doesn't seem much.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,619

+1

Though 'power' is very addictive.....
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Never actually heard of this chap but i see he describes himself as a Historian and human rights activist. Former British Ambassador.

It is well know about Murray, go do your research.

As for order order, right wing spin sure, below the line is cesspit but he is read across the political spectrum in westminster because his scoops are overwhelming true. I also post links from guardian etc ie reputable sources
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Have you been invited :D ?
    I knew we’d draw CSKA, these things always happen.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,545
    edited March 2018
    Sandpit said:

F1: early forecast, but rain may happen for the Australian Grand Prix. In those circumstances, Verstappen, Alonso and maybe Hulkenberg will be value.

That’s a good shout. Checks odds on Alonso for a podium.
    Interesting testing notes from Chandhok:
    http://f1.channel4.com/news/karun-chandhok-pre-season-analysis-and-predictions/

the Ferrari / Red Bull fight may be quite tight this season; Red Bull more chuckable, and the Ferrari having the superior engine...
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

At the same time, she's a pretty useless campaigner, who often gets the tone wrong and who has made a series of unforced political errors, including the humdinger of GE2017. So a better PM than she is public-facing politician or manager of her party.

Whereas Corbyn is a much better campaigner than manager (either of his party, or, presumably, anything else...)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

I'm up for May vs Corbyn take 2, think Labour will fancy their chances of improving on their current position in that scenario.

Also the talk of Corbyn being replaced is very optimistic, it just doesn't look likely at all.

I think this is the most likely outcome. The Russian stuff will be old news by the time of the next GE, and there hasn't been a (Two party) swing in favour of the government since 1983.
    Neither Corbyn nor May is too 'old' (Just look over the pond !). The Tories are going to look pretty tired by 2022, and May doesn't have Major's 92 cushion to absorb a likely swing against.
    Neither does Corbyn have a big Liberal vote to squeeze as Kinnnock did in 1992, indeed if there is a shift of a few voters from Labour to LD next time e.g. to a Jo Swinson led party that could be enough for a small Tory majority even if the Tory voteshare is unchanged or fractionally down
    Is not con to ld at least if not more likely?
    No as the vast majority of Tory voters were Leave voters while the vast majority of Labour voters were Remain voters like the LDs
    39% of Tory voters bvoted Remain; 35% of Labour voters voted Leave according to YouGov. Those are sizeable minorities.

(PS Though what to make of the 5% of UKIP voters who voted Remain is beyond me!)
    Forgot to take their glasses to the polling station.....
  • Options

It is well know about Murray, go do your research.

As for order order, right wing spin sure, below the line is cesspit but he is read across the political spectrum in westminster because his is scoops are overwhelming true.
    Murray is a well known nutter!!

Was he a nutter when he was British Ambassador or just developed nuttiness
This discussion has been closed.