Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » After last week’s Tory loss of 5 local by-elections the blue t

Comments

• Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078

Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

marke09 said:

Simon Harris
    ‏Verified account @simonharrisitv
    2h2 hours ago

BREAKING: Internal Labour Party coup ousts veteran council leader Sir Robin Wales after 23 years in charge of Newham, east London. @itvlondon

Is this news? Only if you think Momentum and other far-left loons are behind it, which - see upthread - they seem not to be.

Perhaps people got fed up with him. Twenty-three years is a good innings.
    But it couldn't really have come in a worse week.

There will be a lot of Labour centrists this weekend having a long, hard think whether they should stand up for one last effort - or acquiesce in the take-over of Labour by a faction that is seeing the party slide towards ridicule.
    Time to resign the Whip and sit as independent Labour.
    Never going to happen. Why would it? On domestic issues they seem pretty united now, at least compared to recent years, and resigned to Corbyn's leadership, are they really so exercised by foreign affairs that that will finally push them over the edge?
    Foreign affairs are no longer foreign affairs when they happen in Salisbury.
    This week has demonstrated that when there is a major threat to national security, a PM Corbyn would side with those he has always supported. In this case Russia.

It is beyond me why he is so in favour of Russia, which is essentially returning to a Czarist state just without the hereditary bit (unless Putin has kids?).
    The sacrifice of the Russian people at Stalingrad was a major factor in the defeat of Hitler's fascism.More Russians died at Stalingrad,as much from sickness and starvation as from battle,than the all the UK casualties put together.That sacrifice is surely worthy of thanks from any UK leader.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Foxy said:
    Theresa May fancies those odds. Another snap election beckons .
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,592
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Isn't it called a transition agreement?
    It depends on timing.

Transition or implementation requires an agreed goal. That would require at least an agreed destination. If No Deal is still being threatened then there will be no transition.

I think it highly likely that May will sign up to the Barnier Draft with a figleaf of changes over cosmetic aspects. What happens next is anyones guess. We sail uncharted waters.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    Elliot said:

Elliot said:

kle4 said:

marke09 said:

Simon Harris
    2h2 hours ago

BREAKING: Internal Labour Party coup ousts veteran council leader Sir Robin Wales after 23 years in charge of Newham, east London. @itvlondon

Is this news? Only if you think Momentum and other far-left loons are behind it, which - see upthread - they seem not to be.

There will be a lot of Labour centrists this weekend having a long, hard think whether they should stand up for one last effort - or acquiesce in the take-over of Labour by a faction that is seeing the party slide towards ridicule.
    Never going to happen. Why would it? On domestic issues they seem pretty united now, at least compared to recent years, and resigned to Corbyn's leadership, are they really so exercised by foreign affairs that that will finally push them over the edge?
    That all depends on whether they think universal human rights are a bedrock of progress or something to be ignored for short term partisan advantage.
    Oddly, the people who are keenest on this line were only too happy to shelter behind xenophobic lies for short term partisan advantage.
    I'm not sure I follow.
    No sane people do....
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,951

Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

marke09 said:

Simon Harris
    2h2 hours ago

This week has demonstrated that when there is a major threat to national security, a PM Corbyn would side with those he has always supported. In this case Russia.

It is beyond me why he is so in favour of Russia, which is essentially returning to a Czarist state just without the hereditary bit (unless Putin has kids?).
    The sacrifice of the Russian people at Stalingrad was a major factor in the defeat of Hitler's fascism.More Russians died at Stalingrad,as much from sickness and starvation as from battle,than the all the UK casualties put together.That sacrifice is surely worthy of thanks from any UK leader.
    You can thank the people - and especially that generation - that made that sacrifice; it does not mean you have to automatically support their current corrupt and murderous leadership.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,196

Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

marke09 said:

Simon Harris
    2h2 hours ago

Yes, the heroics of the Russian people in the War were titanic. Difficult to see Hitler losing europe without the eastern front disaster.

But we are talking here about the leadership of Russia as it currently behaves.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

marke09 said:

Simon Harris
    2h2 hours ago

You can thank the people - and especially that generation - that made that sacrifice; it does not mean you have to automatically support their current corrupt and murderous leadership.
    Yes, like many Britons I can admire the stoicism, art, music, literature and people of Russia while deploring its history and present of despotic rulers. Same goes for many of the places I have visited over the years.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Foxy said:
    To what end?
  • Options
    @josiasJessop

I remember you were looking for an interesting science based break last year. Have you seen the Blue Dot lineup for this year? I am mulling over whether I can make it so soon after the World Cup. Public Service Broadcasting would be the music highlight, but some great science stuff:

https://www.discoverthebluedot.com/lineup
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,951
    Foxy said:

@josiasJessop

I remember you were looking for an interesting science based break last year. Have you seen the Blue Dot lineup for this year? I am mulling over whether I can make it so soon after the World Cup. Public Service Broadcasting would be the music highlight, but some great science stuff:

Thanks for that. I'll have a word with the boss; it's the week before her birthday. :)
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    Foxy said:

Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

marke09 said:

Simon Harris
    2h2 hours ago

Never going to happen. Why would it? On domestic issues they seem pretty united now, at least compared to recent years, andver the edge?

Yes, like many Britons I can admire the stoicism, art, music, literature and people of Russia while deploring its history and present of despotic rulers. Same goes for many of the places I have visited over the years.
    Middlesbrough?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541
    edited March 2018

sarissa said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

FPT Elliott "Do you have a source?"

There's a huge amount of detail buried in here:

http://www.tidallagoonpower.com/

These are interesting projects - the Dogger Bank wind farm will also provide around 5% of UK demand (and provide a hub to facilitate the construction of a new North Sea interconnect) - but they don't really help with the immediate gas supply problem.

Bringing back a significant amount of gas storage would help in the shorter term (and will also have significant cost).

Longer term, 100% renewables are just about feasible by 2050, with a few hurdles to be overcome...
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2542435118300485?via=ihub
    Decarbonising electricity generation is the easy bit. Doing the same for heating and transportation (not just cars) is a much tougher ask. The choices are electricity or hydrogen, and neither is a perfect fit for everything or indeed anything. As for aviation, battery-powered airships?
    Indeed, but that again is going to be a multi decade project.
    Air sourced heat pumps (air conditioning in reverse) are a pretty efficient way of providing heating (they supply around 3x the energy in the form of heat that they consume in electricity). Together with transport, there is, of course, likely to be a significant increase in total electric demand.

The good news is that once the infrastructure is in place, it will be comparatively cheap to run... and government can borrow very cheaply right now.

(And don't laugh about electric aircraft...they will just take a bit longer.
    https://www.theengineer.co.uk/darpa-flies-scaled-down-electric-model-of-vtol-aircraft/ )
    at temperatures below around 8°C (17°F) an air-source heat pump can achieve a COP of 2.5 – below the magic 3 level at which carbon savings are realized.

??? Surely the carbon savings largely depend on how the electricity is generated?

We had the choice of oil or air-source heat-pump heating when we bought and modernised an old house 8 years ago - very glad we took the latter option, works wonderfully well.
    I think he's considering current generating stock when saying that - which as you point out is rather missing the point.

(And, FWIW, Wikipedia informs me that "Within temperature ranges of -3 °C to 10 °C, the COP for many machines is fairly stable at 3-3.5...." which would cover most British winter weather).
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Foxy said:
    May will not face another election.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,053
    I've just been watching some Russian TV and Irina Yarovaya, an MP from Putin's party, was saying that Russia is the only power standing in the way of a totalitarian unipolar world which is why it is facing an information war and that Europeans are the victims because they don't have access to unbiased sources...
  • Options
    MTimT2MTimT2 Posts: 48

HYUFD said:

I wonder whether this is what June 1914 felt like:

https://twitter.com/patrickwintour/status/974675519831773190

Only if Putin actually invades a Baltic State as the Austro Hungarians invaded Serbia and this time it was the Russians doing the assassination not facing an assassination as was the case with Archduke Franz Ferdinand.

Germany and Austria Hungary and the Ottoman Empire were also all in alliance at that point against the British Empire, Russia, France and Italy (later joined by the USA).

I cannot see what major powers are currently allied with Russia?
    I can never quite gauge where Sino-Russian relations fit in with Putin's thinking. Is he acting tough with the West to stop the big dragon in the East from getting any ideas?
    I think it is way more opportunistic than that. Putin is a strategist, but his success so far lies in his singular realization that a tyrant's political will is greater than that of democracies at peace, and so he can push people around (while peace holds).

This pushing others around keeps him popular with the unwashed at home (his popularity has increased over the period since the invasion of Crimea) who think is shows Russia is great again. However, their economic power has diminished during the same period due to the triple whammy of low oil prices, sanctions and economic mismanagement. There is not much to back up the bully's willpower (short of all out nuclear war) - it is a bluff waiting to be called.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Corbyn ally Chris Williamson has torn into Labour MPs who backed the Government and blamed Russia for the Salisbury attack - branding them 'political enemies'.

Dissent will not be tolerated....
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    HHemmelig said:

Daniel said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Only if Putin actually invades a Baltic State as the Austro Hungarians invaded Serbia and this time it was the Russians doing the assassination not facing an assassination as was the case with Archduke Franz Ferdinand.

Germany and Austria Hungary and the Ottoman Empire were also all in alliance at that point against the British Empire, Russia, France and Italy (later joined by the USA).

I can never quite gauge where Sino-Russian relations fit in with Putin's thinking. Is he acting tough with the West to stop the big dragon in the East from getting any ideas?
    Not sure what threat China really poses to Russia? It is not really a Russia ally but nor is it a Russian for.

India is more concerned by China over Nepal

The Chinese are currently buying up land in Siberia, which is getting the local government rather nervous. There has been theories circling around the Russian Foreign Office about a "what if" scenario, in which China needs more energy to meet its demands - so grabs land in Siberia.

Plus, the European Union is China's biggest export market. Beijing will not want Russia upsetting their buyers, especially Western Europe.
    The vast population disparity also makes the Russians very nervous. More than 100 million Chinese live fairly close to the Russian border. On the Russian side the population is sparse and shrinking. Vast quantities of natural resources for consumption in north east China such as timber are already routinely obtained from Russia.
    Siberia? Surely, more aptly named the Northern Resource Area, only this time it'll be China, not Japan.
  • Options

Foxy said:

@josiasJessop

Thanks for that. I'll have a word with the boss; it's the week before her birthday. :)
    I took Fox jr to his first festival aged 6. He had a great time, and I think the Blue Dot is quite a civilised one.
  • Options

I've just been watching some Russian TV and Irina Yarovaya, an MP from Putin's party, was saying that Russia is the only power standing in the way of a totalitarian unipolar world which is why it is facing an information war and that Europeans are the victims because they don't have access to unbiased sources...

But we’ve got you, William!
    More fool her.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

Corbyn ally Chris Williamson has torn into Labour MPs who backed the Government and blamed Russia for the Salisbury attack - branding them 'political enemies'.

How can anyone still believe that the Labour leadership believes in a kinder, gentler politics?
  • Options

How can anyone still believe that the Labour leadership believes in a kinder, gentler politics?
    For the matryoshka, not the few.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

marke09 said:

Simon Harris
    2h2 hours ago

Never going to happen. Why would it? On domestic issues they seem pretty united now, at least compared to recent years, andver the edge?

Middlesbrough?
    I dont recall much music or literature on my visit to Middlesborough in 1984, but I remember the beer as decent.

I was thinking more of Myanmar under the Military, and a few other rather odd African regimes.
  • Options

The cult will....
  • Options

The cult will....
    This seems to be the new mayor:

https://www.rokhsana.org/about/

I like this bit:

"I have been the executive director of a national charity working with young people to build bridges amongst Muslim and Jewish students at university campuses across the UK to tackle anti-Semitism and Islamophobia.

My most recent role was as the CEO of an international UNESCO supported charity promoting interfaith and global citizenship across the world"
  • Options
    Foxy said:

The cult will....

I like this bit:

"I have been the executive director of a national charity working with young people to build bridges amongst Muslim and Jewish students at university campuses across the UK to tackle anti-Semitism and Islamophobia.

My most recent role was as the CEO of an international UNESCO supported charity promoting interfaith and global citizenship across the world"
    What is she ashamed about with regards to her University? She says she got her degree from a London University - so why not name it? Why hide that piece of information?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

The cult will....

I like this bit:

I see she also has an OBE awarded under New Labour in 2009, not something on the average CV. The story of the incumbent on here does sound a little machine oriented:

http://www.onlondon.co.uk/sir-robin-wales-de-selected-as-labour-mayoral-candidate-for-newham/
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    O/T

I don't think I've seen such a big disparity on Rotten Tomatoes between the critics' ratings and the audience rating for a film as there is with the new Death Wish movie starring Bruce Willis. Critics' rating is 17%, audience 83%. Why is this?

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/death_wish_2018/
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

The cult will....

I like this bit:

I see she also has an OBE awarded under New Labour in 2009, not something on the average CV. The story of the incumbent on here does sound a little machine oriented:

http://www.onlondon.co.uk/sir-robin-wales-de-selected-as-labour-mayoral-candidate-for-newham/
    She took an OBE from Blair? Yeh Gods, why doesn't she just f-off and join the Tories?
  • Options

Foxy said:

The cult will....

I like this bit:

What is she ashamed about with regards to her University? She says she got her degree from a London University - so why not name it? Why hide that piece of information?
    It was Goldsmiths. She started in Wolverhampton Uni, but had to leave when her fathers business closed due to embezzlement by a business partner. They became homeless, but she restarted when the family crisis ended.

http://www.onlondon.co.uk/qa-newham-labour-mayoral-hopeful-rokhsana-fiaz-on-gentrification-community-involvement-and-sir-robin-wales/
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

The cult will....

I like this bit:

She took an OBE from Blair? Yeh Gods, why doesn't she just f-off and join the Tories?
    Brown, surely, rather than Belzebub.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,449
    Re previous thread, I suspect that the slight Tory uptick in fortunes will probably recede when the Russian stuff fades away...

That said, it exposes the main problem for opponents of May. Tory prospects aren’t so dire that ditching her and giving someone else a go would automatically improve their position.

If she can keep the Tories through Brexit in a similar polling position you’ve got to say she might now make it to the end of transition in 2020 (if current timescales stick).

I still don’t think they’ll let her fight another election... though stranger things have happened...
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Foxy said:
    Why we would she call a second snap election?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

The cult will....

I like this bit:

It was Goldsmiths. She started in Wolverhampton Uni, but had to leave when her fathers business closed due to embezzlement by a business partner. They became homeless, but she restarted when the family crisis ended.

http://www.onlondon.co.uk/qa-newham-labour-mayoral-hopeful-rokhsana-fiaz-on-gentrification-community-involvement-and-sir-robin-wales/
    Fair enough - was just surprised to see it referenced as 'a London university' on her official About Me page.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:
    Completely beyond me. Especially as the poll probability thingy seemed to show she would end up back in government with DUP.
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516

They genuinely believe centrist Labour MPs are bigger enemies than the mass murdering right wing dictatorship in Moscow, which is launching chemical attacks on UK soil.

They are the equivalent of the Trumps. Labour has been taken over by nut cases, and is full of wet blankets letting then get away with it.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

marke09 said:

Simon Harris
    2h2 hours ago

If they had joined the war in 1939, instead of their cowardly appeasement, the sacrifice wouldn't have been necessary.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331
    Foxy said:

Sounds pretty good
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

marke09 said:

del.

del.

If they had joined the war in 1939, instead of their cowardly appeasement, the sacrifice wouldn't have been necessary.
    Putin has daughters but you mustn't discuss his family life or he'll shoot you. I'm joking, of course ...

http://www.newsweek.com/2014/08/29/top-secret-family-life-vladimir-putin-265425.html

The Soviet Union lost 20% of its population in WW2, i.e. a far larger sacrifice than us.

IMO peak progress was with Gorbachev. He later emerged as having SDP-type views. But he failed to keep the show on the road and move steadily towards something resembling parliamentary democracy. Maybe no-one could have done this.

Yeltsin was a vodka-sodden disaster. He was paid by the US to help win elections, presumably because they wanted an out-and-out capitalist, even a drunken one, to beat the ex-communists.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,769

Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

marke09 said:

Simon Harris
    2h2 hours ago

Depending on quite when they joined the war, and quite who would have rallied against them I'm not sure that their awful behavior didn't in fact finish up as helpful.

Japan for example would have probably seized that chance.

Arguably their inadvertent double-dealing was precisely the thing that undermined the Germans.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

Shameful.

totalitarian unipolar - tautological.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Sounds pretty good
    'Pretty good' including or excluding the alleged crimes?
  • Options
    China To Bar People With Bad 'Social Credit' From Planes, Trains

https://m.slashdot.org/story/338489

They just need to get more branches of KFC and Nando’s...
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,317
    AndyJS said:

O/T

I don't think I've seen such a big disparity on Rotten Tomatoes between the critics' ratings and the audience rating for a film as there is with the new Death Wish movie starring Bruce Willis. Critics' rating is 17%, audience 83%. Why is this?

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/death_wish_2018/

Does he say yippee ki yay mother f*cker in it?
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

marke09 said:

del.

del.

Putin has daughters but you mustn't discuss his family life or he'll shoot you. I'm joking, of course ...

http://www.newsweek.com/2014/08/29/top-secret-family-life-vladimir-putin-265425.html

The Soviet Union lost 20% of its population in WW2, i.e. a far larger sacrifice than us.

IMO peak progress was with Gorbachev. He later emerged as having SDP-type views. But he failed to keep the show on the road and move steadily towards something resembling parliamentary democracy. Maybe no-one could have done this.

Yeltsin was a vodka-sodden disaster. He was paid by the US to help win elections, presumably because they wanted an out-and-out capitalist, even a drunken one, to beat the ex-communists.
    You wonder what Russia would look like today if Gorbachev had succeeded. I’m not sure the Soviet Union was salvageable but how different the world would look if it had developed into a pluralistic mixed economy. Yeltsin and the US must share a lot of the blame.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    Foxy said:
    Where might the LD gains be? They were damn close in at least 1 Scottish seat, and hopeful of regaining a few of the ones held in 2015 but lost in 2017 like the welsh one and Sheffield Hallam ?
  • Options
    Moscow will not cooperate with an investigation into the Salisbury attack. The president relies on spreading doubt

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/16/putin-lies-action-moscow-salisbury-attack

Helps if you have useful idiots to assist in spreading that doubt...
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,040

Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

marke09 said:

Simon Harris
    2h2 hours ago

Tbf the Russian people didn't have much say in the matter in 1939 or '41. Faithful, old Boxer did his duty.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    MTimT2 said:

HYUFD said:

I think it is way more opportunistic than that. Putin is a strategist, but his success so far lies in his singular realization that a tyrant's political will is greater than that of democracies at peace, and so he can push people around (while peace holds).

This pushing others around keeps him popular with the unwashed at home (his popularity has increased over the period since the invasion of Crimea) who think is shows Russia is great again. However, their economic power has diminished during the same period due to the triple whammy of low oil prices, sanctions and economic mismanagement. There is not much to back up the bully's willpower (short of all out nuclear war) - it is a bluff waiting to be called.
    Interesting insight, I think that is spot on.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541

Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

marke09 said:

del.

del.

The Soviet Union lost 20% of its population in WW2, i.e. a far larger sacrifice than us...
    Perhaps if Stalin hadn't first allied with Hitler to destroy the Polish state.... and it's not as though Stalin wasn't prepared to sacrifice millions in peacetime too.
  • Options

KFCs were everywhere when I went to China last year.

Also, from that link, some of the examples seem more trivial than others

People who would be put on the restricted lists included those found to have committed acts like spreading false information about terrorism and causing trouble on flights, as well as those who used expired tickets or smoked on trains
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:
    Where might the LD gains be? They were damn close in at least 1 Scottish seat, and hopeful of regaining a few of the ones held in 2015 but lost in 2017 like the welsh one and Sheffield Hallam ?
    I’m interested in the 5 SNP gains too. Suspect that would be against the Tories primarily but I remain to be convinced that they’ll lose that many in Scotland on current polling. I think 2017 might have been a high water mark for the moment in time, but I think they’d hold a fair number of those.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,202
    This idea that we should somehow give Putin’s Russia some sort of free pass because of Stalingrad is bizarre. Stalingrad was 75 years ago. Stalin’s Russia was a horrific murderous regime which killed millions, of its own citizens and of other states; it was responsible for a genocidal famine in the Ukraine; it crushed Eastern European states, tortured and killed dissenters, locked people up without trial, was anti-semitic, had a vast system of gulags quite as bad as concentration camps in their effects on the people interned in them and so on and so forth.

If Corbyn and Milne are pro-Russia it is not because of some misguided gratitude for something which happened before they were born but because they admire it ideologically and because they admire any state that stands up to the West and, in particular, the US.

Soviet Russia’s view of Jews is also a clue to where a hard Left tradition of hating Jews comes from. And this tradition is one of the sources of the anti-Jewish feeling which has manifested itself amongst some of Corbyn’s supporters, those who surround him and those amongst whom he has spent so much of his time as a backbencher.

It is perfectly possible to admire the sacrifices of the Russian people in the 1940’s while despising Putin and his regime today.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

People who would be put on the restricted lists included those found to have committed acts like spreading false information about terrorism and causing trouble on flights, as well as those who used expired tickets or smoked on trains
    That is quite a erhhh broad range....
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307

Foxy said:

Sounds pretty good
    She's 47, got an OBE, had a career in the media, ran major charities, looks like she isabout to become Mayor of Newham. And then there is this:

"But obviously the most pressing issue is housing. I live with my parents. That’s because even with jobs that I’ve had and the senior positions I’ve achieved I literally cannot afford to buy a place in Newham. That is absurd. I appreciate all the debates going on at London region level and the issues around affordability etcetera etcetera, but if we don’t get the balance right in terms of our housing mix and emphasise that the median income in this borough is still around £26,000 – people simply cannot live. There’s got to be more genuinely affordable and more social housing."

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

kle4 said:

That is quite a erhhh broad range....
    Is it?

Not sure about the terrorism remark but the others all seem to be examples of being bad passengers on trains or planes as a common thread.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658

AndyJS said:

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:
    Completely beyond me. Especially as the poll probability thingy seemed to show she would end up back in government with DUP.
    No, on the basis of that forecast CON+DUP would not command a majority. We'd have a LAB led coalition. I think Jonathan may have been being ironic :smile:
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Cyclefree said:

This idea that we should somehow give Putin’s Russia some sort of free pass because of Stalingrad is bizarre. Stalingrad was 75 years ago. Stalin’s Russia was a horrific murderous regime which killed millions, of its own citizens and of other states; it was responsible for a genocidal famine in the Ukraine; it crushed Eastern European states, tortured and killed dissenters, locked people up without trial, was anti-semitic, had a vast system of gulags quite as bad as concentration camps in their effects on the people interned in them and so on and so forth.

If Corbyn and Milne are pro-Russia it is not because of some misguided gratitude for something which happened before they were born but because they admire it ideologically and because they admire any state that stands up to the West and, in particular, the US.

Soviet Russia’s view of Jews is also a clue to where a hard Left tradition of hating Jews comes from. And this tradition is one of the sources of the anti-Jewish feeling which has manifested itself amongst some of Corbyn’s supporters, those who surround him and those amongst whom he has spent so much of his time as a backbencher.

It is perfectly possible to admire the sacrifices of the Russian people in the 1940’s while despising Putin and his regime today.

Frankly it also conflates the sacrifices of the Russian people with the sacrifices of the Russian leadership. Nobody would seriously argue that we hold a debt of gratitude to Stalin, so why the hell should the non-existent debt extend to Putin.

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

If you imagine a statement like 'There is no place for Russia in the civilised world'. You could discuss such a statement now, almost endlessly. I'm not sure there has been a time for the last 150 years or so when that was not the case.

There is no real Russia on the world stage - it's a nonsense sort of a place. There should be a Russia on the world stage though.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:
    No, on the basis of that forecast CON+DUP would not command a majority. We'd have a LAB led coalition. I think Jonathan may have been being ironic :smile:
    Did you enjoy your lunch in Salisbury
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

kle4 said:

Foxy said:
    I’m interested in the 5 SNP gains too. Suspect that would be against the Tories primarily but I remain to be convinced that they’ll lose that many in Scotland on current polling. I think 2017 might have been a high water mark for the moment in time, but I think they’d hold a fair number of those.
    The website shows the projected changes. http://britainelects.com/forecast/
  • Options
  • Options

Moscow will not cooperate with an investigation into the Salisbury attack. The president relies on spreading doubt

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/16/putin-lies-action-moscow-salisbury-attack

Infinitely more sense in that article than is on show from the Labour front bench.
  • Options
    We're getting Moscow weather tomorrow.
  • Options

Infinitely more sense in that article than is on show from the Labour front bench.
    Freeland has long been on corbyns shit list.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

AndyJS said:

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:
    Yes, very good thanks. Manager at Côte said it's been really busy all week - lots of press and TV people in apparently. Every cloud, eh?
  • Options
    Freggles said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:
    Bye bye Amber Rudd and Anna Soubry.....
  • Options
    Freggles said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:
    So for the LDs: Richmond Park, Ceredigion, St Ives, Fife NE. Plausible, if they are lucky.

And the SNP gaining about equal from Con and Lab.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    nielh said:

Foxy said:

Sounds pretty good
    She's 47, got an OBE, had a career in the media, ran major charities, looks like she isabout to become Mayor of Newham. And then there is this:

"But obviously the most pressing issue is housing. I live with my parents. That’s because even with jobs that I’ve had and the senior positions I’ve achieved I literally cannot afford to buy a place in Newham. That is absurd. I appreciate all the debates going on at London region level and the issues around affordability etcetera etcetera, but if we don’t get the balance right in terms of our housing mix and emphasise that the median income in this borough is still around £26,000 – people simply cannot live. There’s got to be more genuinely affordable and more social housing."

Housing in Newham was very cheap until the 1990s. What's happened?
  • Options
    alex. said:

Cyclefree said:

Nobody would seriously argue that we hold a debt of gratitude to Stalin

Seamus Milne?
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Re: May fighting another election - it might be well to remember that the conventional wisdom until 2017 was that despite all the media excitement campaigns don’t make much difference. Ultimately by the time of the next election most people will have a settled view of May, and i would doubt that Corbyn could pull the same trick (of expanding support from a base position) twice. And even that “success” wasn’t actually down to converting people from May/the Conservatives, so much as managing to coalesce virtually ALL opposition in one place (and on the back of a widespread assumption that it was risk-free ie he couldn’t actually win)

So if May is to be deposed I think the worst possible reason is as a result of a perceived lack of campaigning ability. If she is still holding up in the polls then changing leader will represent a big gamble. And remember there is a big difference between a discretionary election, called to increase parliamentary strength, and a mandatory one, where the bar for “success” should logically b3 somewhat lower.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Putin can command the weather against us?! Perhaps we shouldn't provoke him (by responding mildly to his provocation).
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:
    Yes, very good thanks. Manager at Côte said it's been really busy all week - lots of press and TV people in apparently. Every cloud, eh?
    Well of course - Theresa did a great job of promoting Salisbury and defending our Country which of course is the first duty of government, pity that Corbyn doesn't get it.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Cloudy with a chance of Tefteli?
  • Options
    Sad but true - the declining power of the U.K. post Brexit.

https://twitter.com/chrisgreybrexit/status/974740440057606144
  • Options

Some decent political backbone shown by some Labour MPs though. That's a tough thing to do, and whatever Labour's faults whilst they have people who are prepared to do the hard but right thing they're not a spent force intellectually.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Some decent political backbone shown by some Labour MPs though. That's a tough thing to do, and whatever Labour's faults whilst they have people who are prepared to do the hard but right thing they're not a spent force intellectually.
    Restricted to the backbenches though - pretty much a spineless Shadow Cabinet.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    All will be revealed in due course
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:
    Well of course - Theresa did a great job of promoting Salisbury and defending our Country which of course is the first duty of government, pity that Corbyn doesn't get it.
    Haha - you are unquenchable! I don't think Theresa is responsible for Côte getting more business than usual this past week! :smile:

Salisbury was a bit quieter than normal for a Friday tbh but it is the quietest time of the year - no tourists to speak of until Easter.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    All remainers but as far as I can see no conservatives. Like the way they are co-ordinating with Faisal Islam and Sky.

When will they learn it is a negotiation and negotiating positions will not be revealed to a lobby group for remain
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516

Same old nonsense doesn't become more true because someone wrote a blogpost about it. We have had more backing from Norway than Ireland because one is a NATO member and one is an EU member. The Trump extrapolation is also misguided, given he won't survive beyond 2020, if he even survives that far.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:
    Haha - you are unquenchable! I don't think Theresa is responsible for Côte getting more business than usual this past week! :smile:

Salisbury was a bit quieter than normal for a Friday tbh but it is the quietest time of the year - no tourists to speak of until Easter.
    Looks like your choice of restaurant provides a very good menu.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

But do they offer pineapple pizzas?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

French I think but not sure about the pineapple.

For me the choice would be pineapple without a pizza which I do not like
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Thankfully not.
  • Options
    Wobbly lines tech given green light for the World Cup.

Video assistant referees will be used at the World Cup for the first time after Fifa formally approved the technology for this year's tournament.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

AndyJS said:

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Côte is just a chain but generally the food is reliable, unpretentious, French bistro style for a reasonable price.

(I appreciate 'unpretentious French bistro style' is a bit of an oxymoron!)
  • Options
    Just did a YouGov poll which was asking about how I'd vote if different electoral systems were used (eg having a constituency vote and a regional vote), but the interesting part was a list of statements about politics and to list which were true or false, such as if the LDs favour PR, that the number of MPs is about 100, when polling stations close etc. I've not really come across a poll which actually tests the respondents' knowledge at the end.
  • Options

Video assistant referees will be used at the World Cup for the first time after Fifa formally approved the technology for this year's tournament.

Just means one of Putin's goons will be able to sit, unseen, with a gun at the VAR's head.....
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Just did a YouGov poll which was asking about how I'd vote if different electoral systems were used (eg having a constituency vote and a regional vote), but the interesting part was a list of statements about politics and to list which were true or false, such as if the LDs favour PR, that the number of MPs is about 100, when polling stations close etc. I've not really come across a poll which actually tests the respondents' knowledge at the end.

Good luck - I hope you've passed!
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Pineapple pizza without pizza - that's niche!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I actually have no idea what the Lib Dem’s stance is on anything other than brexit these days and I am on Pb. How the hell Maureen from Margate has any idea is beyond me.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Just means one of Putin's goons will be able to sit, unseen, with a gun at the VAR's head.....
    No need for gun to head just point to a picture of a deceased former Russian spy....tap tap tap...
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    edited March 2018
    Elliot said:

Same old nonsense doesn't become more true because someone wrote a blogpost about it. We have had more backing from Norway than Ireland because one is a NATO member and one is an EU member. The Trump extrapolation is also misguided, given he won't survive beyond 2020, if he even survives that far.
    The point is that the United Kingdom has very little influence on its own. It needs to act in consort with groups of like minded nations. There really is only one group that fits the bill - the European Union. We don't absolutely have to be members to have a beneficial relationship with the EU, but it will be harder work to get sporadic attention, instead of a matter of course. We will be heaving close to the EU seeking influence on its terms.

Edit. We are swapping member state for client state. Which makes Brexit interesting. No-one has done this before
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Pineapple pizza without pizza - that's niche!
    The only place I eat pizza is when I am in Italy and I cannot recall ever having pineapple with it
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

kle4 said:

I actually have no idea what the Lib Dem’s stance is on anything other than brexit these days and I am on Pb. How the hell Maureen from Margate has any idea is beyond me.
    Old people are racist. I think that's the Lib Dem stance that most people know.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

kle4 said:

One penny on income tax for the, sorry, OUR NHS, I think. But that's all I know.
This discussion has been closed.