Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It’s Cold War, Jim: but not as we know it

124»

Comments

• RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Russia was remarkably altruistic in pressing the case for Brexit, which all our resident Leavers assure us had nothing to do with the Russians' sudden brazenness in Britain:

http://89up.org/russia-report

https://twitter.com/RussiaUN/status/974359643257524229
    Wasn't Novichok designed to not be in contravention of the chemical weapons convention?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408

Russia was remarkably altruistic in pressing the case for Brexit, which all our resident Leavers assure us had nothing to do with the Russians' sudden brazenness in Britain:

https://twitter.com/RussiaUN/status/974359643257524229
    The idea people and parties will go easy on the government over Brexit because of this is pretty risible, so as a motivation it fails a basic test of plausibility.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,961
    The Fortress is crumbling....
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    Once the GDPR comes in, a lot of the Facebook widgets will be unsustainable.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    nielh said:

I would suggest that the fact we are 'leading' on this is more evidence of Britains isolation, than anything else.

lol - of course
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,401
    nielh said:

I would suggest that the fact we are 'leading' on this is more evidence of Britains isolation, than anything else.

Or possibly that it happened here.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,405
    England extend the in-goal area... resulting in a try.... to Ireland.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,236
    stodge said:

We chose ...to change the emphasis of our outlook away from a Euro-centric to a more global oriented world view.

Much as I would like to think that Brexit will mean a more global outlook, I can't help fearing that it will not, and I don't share your certainty that Leavers voted for one, at least in part. The Eurocentric view which you describe wasn't caused by the EU and won't be cured by leaving it. It requires the desire to know more and most people can't do that, due to temperament, finances, language barriers, etc.

Consider Iain Duncan Smith. Unlike some of his colleagues he does not cultivate stupidity or mistake style for substance. And although his managerial ability is lacking, his ability to see a problem, (welfare dependence), identify a solution (benefit reform) and prosecute it is good. So he's not actually dumb in the way that, say, Bojo is. But some of his comments during Brexit (he made a remark along the lines of "who knew this Irish thing would become so important", but not in those words) were very stupid indeed.

This is because his view of the world and history are constrained by his class, age, finances, preconceptions and language. And it is very difficult to escape those bonds. Multiply that by millions and you get the reason why the global view you propound will not IMHO happen except where it fits existing preconceptions like Commonwealth or CANZUK.

nielh said:

Yeah, but then you can download all those embarrassing "stronger in" posters of world leaders endorsing remain.
    To be fair, very few of the pro-Remain world leaders had used nerve agents on us.

Charles said:

Kyle_Knox said:

Charles said:

Kyle_Knox said:

Kyle_Knox said:

Yeah, it is a cold war. The difference between this cold war and the cold war of Soviet era is that this cold war is much more covert and deceptive. Without looking closer, it might be a bit difficult to see that Russia is not a friendly power, especially if you listen to the words they are - or, at least, were until the Ukrainian war - espousing.

But as the saying goes, actions speak louder than words. Cyber attacks in Estonia in 2005, the aggression against Georgia in 2008 and Ukraine in 2014. The involvement in the US Presidential Elections in 2016. The actions are clear.

In my blog I wrote about Sergei Skripal's poisoning attempts: https://animaerrante90.wordpress.com/2018/03/15/sergei-skripal-britain-stood-its-ground/

Maybe you will find the read interesting.

Welcome, Mr Knox. Do you have a brother, Tom?
    Thanks for the welcome.

No, I don't. "Kyle Knox" is a pseudoname, not my real name (I want to keep my real life away from my blogging and Kyle Knox has a good sound to it).
    “Tom Knox” is the pen name of some Cornish chick who posts on here occasionally...
    Ohh... I did not know that.

We are in no way related...
    She’s written a couple of okay books - the Ice Twins and the Fire Child I think
    An exceptional woman in many ways. Married to a much-younger woman - it's legal in the UK - she has pursued a literary career despite her physiology and with some success. No doubt she will fill in the details when she logs on.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    The idea that Brexit means a global re-orientation is total, total bunk. Anyone who believes that needs their head read.

Oh, and Happy St Patrick’s Day.
    Come on Ireland!
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    viewcode said:

stodge said:

We chose ...to change the emphasis of our outlook away from a Euro-centric to a more global oriented world view.

Much as I would like to think that Brexit will mean a more global outlook, I can't help fearing that it will not, and I don't share your certainty that Leavers voted for one, at least in part. The Eurocentric view which you describe wasn't caused by the EU and won't be cured by leaving it. It requires the desire to know more and most people can't do that, due to temperament, finances, language barriers, etc.

Consider Iain Duncan Smith. Unlike some of his colleagues he does not cultivate stupidity or mistake style for substance. And although his managerial ability is lacking, his ability to see a problem, (welfare dependence), identify a solution (benefit reform) and prosecute it is good. So he's not actually dumb in the way that, say, Bojo is. But some of his comments during Brexit (he made a remark along the lines of "who knew this Irish thing would become so important", but not in those words) were very stupid indeed.

This is because his view of the world and history are constrained by his class, age, finances, preconceptions and language. And it is very difficult to escape those bonds. Multiply that by millions and you get the reason why the global view you propound will not IMHO happen except where it fits existing preconceptions like Commonwealth or CANZUK.

There are worse places to start than the Commonwealth and CANZUK especially. In a few years I think a deal between the Five Eyes nations ought to be achievable and fits within the paradigms you mentioned.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789

viewcode said:

stodge said:

There are worse places to start than the Commonwealth and CANZUK especially. In a few years I think a deal between the Five Eyes nations ought to be achievable and fits within the paradigms you mentioned.
    What kind of deal?
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

viewcode said:

stodge said:

What kind of deal?
    I would like one like TPP.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789

viewcode said:

stodge said:

What kind of deal?
    I would like one like TPP.
    There’s nothing to stop the EU joining a deal like the TPP.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    A very happy St. Patrick’s day to the Irish Grand Slam winners!
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    In the People's Party, accusations (which appear to be entirely false) of photoshopping a hat on on the Supreme Leader seems to have caused more consternation than the use of chemical weaponry on UK soil:
    https://twitter.com/jessbrammar/status/975039991024963584
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979
    viewcode said:

Charles said:

Kyle_Knox said:

Charles said:

Kyle_Knox said:

Kyle_Knox said:

Yeah, it is a cold war. The difference between this cold war and the cold war of Soviet era is that this cold war is much more covert and deceptive. Without looking closer, it might be a bit difficult to see that Russia is not a friendly power, especially if you listen to the words they are - or, at least, were until the Ukrainian war - espousing.

But as the saying goes, actions speak louder than words. Cyber attacks in Estonia in 2005, the aggression against Georgia in 2008 and Ukraine in 2014. The involvement in the US Presidential Elections in 2016. The actions are clear.

In my blog I wrote about Sergei Skripal's poisoning attempts: https://animaerrante90.wordpress.com/2018/03/15/sergei-skripal-britain-stood-its-ground/

Maybe you will find the read interesting.

Welcome, Mr Knox. Do you have a brother, Tom?
    Thanks for the welcome.

No, I don't. "Kyle Knox" is a pseudoname, not my real name (I want to keep my real life away from my blogging and Kyle Knox has a good sound to it).
    “Tom Knox” is the pen name of some Cornish chick who posts on here occasionally...
    Ohh... I did not know that.

We are in no way related...
    She’s written a couple of okay books - the Ice Twins and the Fire Child I think
    An exceptional woman in many ways. Married to a much-younger woman - it's legal in the UK - she has pursued a literary career despite her physiology and with some success. No doubt she will fill in the details when she logs on.
    I'm surprised @seant isn't with us.
This discussion has been closed.