Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Lib Dems are in no mood to change their leader

SystemSystem Posts: 11,710
edited September 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Lib Dems are in no mood to change their leader

If there was going to be a threat to Nick Clegg’s leadership at the annual conference in Glasgow it was going to come in this morning’s debate on economic strategy.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Good
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,631
    edited September 2013
    I like Clegg, he put the country first in 2010, I hope he gets his rewards in 2015.
  • Options
    lib dem 'rebels'= all fart etc etc...
  • Options
    I wonder what the odds are that Dave + Nick remain PM and DPM after the next General Election?
  • Options
    So Cable didn't deploy his nuclear weapon after all?
  • Options
    edited September 2013

I wonder what the odds are that Dave + Nick remain PM and DPM after the next General Election?

There's not a market like that, the nearest, is the William Hill's 9/1 on the govt after the 2015 general election being Con/LIb

http://sports.williamhill.com/bet/en-gb/betting/g/1744492/Next-Government.html
  • Options

Not sure if they've still got it but you could get 9/1 on the coalition continuing, which necessary but not quite sufficient.

http://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2013/09/14/william-hill-makes-it-9-1-that-ge2015-will-lead-to-a-second-con-ld-coalition/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,064

I like Clegg, he put the country first in 2010, I hope he gets his rewards in 2015.

As a Liberal Democrat he needs to explain why it was in the national interest to have a Tory dominated government. I also think it's fairly clear Clegg wanted to be in government anyway and it had nothing to do with the personal circumstances of 2010. He's supported an economic agenda that hasn't worked. Does that amount to the national interest?
  • Options

Adam Afriyie seems to be building up the 2014 EU Elections as a make-or-break date for Mr Cameron's EU referendum policy. That could easily morph into a leadership contest.

"Whether the public believe Mr Cameron will become apparent in next year's European elections. He said: "We need to see if the public do begin to trust that the Conservative Party are serious about a referendum." If not, a vote before the 2015 election will be necessary, he said."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/10309785/Tory-MP-calls-for-EU-referendum-now-saying-public-do-not-trust-Cameron.html

• Options

As a Liberal Democrat he needs to explain why it was in the national interest to have a Tory dominated government. I also think it's fairly clear Clegg wanted to be in government anyway and it had nothing to do with the personal circumstances of 2010. He's supported an economic agenda that hasn't worked. Does that amount to the national interest?
    Following on from your posts on Friday on Farage for Sheffield Hallam, I'm coming to the conclusion that you're not a fan of Clegg
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    edited September 2013

No he does not .
    According to many Conservative MPs , we have a Lib Dem dominated government , you and they cannot both be correct but you can both be wrong .
    I have been saying for the last 2 years that Clegg will be leader of the Lib Dems at the next GE .
  • Options

I disagree - the economic agenda has worked. Arguments can be made about whether other approaches might have worked faster, or better, but that's all they'll remain - arguments. Worse, they're arguments by the very people who oversaw us falling into the mess.

We can't go back and redo the economic experiment. In the meantime the figures are looking cautiously positive. I daresay Avery'll be here soon with reams of yellow screen.

Going back to 2010, what alternative did Clegg have that would have worked better in the national interest?
  • Options

No he does not .
    According to many Conservative MPs , we have a Lib Dem dominated government , you and they cannot both be correct but you can both be wrong .
    I have been saying for the last 2 years that Clegg will be leader of the Lib Dems at the next GE .
    I don't care what a lot of stupid Tory MPs think. You do realise this is the most right-wing Conservative party of modern times? At least Thatcher had to worry about the wets in her own Party. No such problem besets Cameron. The draconian welfare policy, the (failed) radical fiscal policy, the major privatisation going on in the NHS and Education. Many areas dear Margaret wouldn't have dreamed trying to touch. And it couldn't be happening without Lib Dem support.
  • Options
    I think the LibDems are really getting the politics of this coalition malarkey right at last, having made a complete horlicks of it for most of 2011 and 2012. This is no doubt partly because they can see that the economy is finally coming good, and (reasonably enough) want to share in the credit for having stabilised things at a time of dire risk for the economy. But I don't think it's just that, they also seem to have realised that bashing the coalition is bashing their own USP, something they got wrong earlier. Obviously at the same time they need to differentiate themselves from their coalition partners, and I think they are doing a much better job on that as well.

Of course it's true that, as yet, there's not much comfort in the polls for the LibDems, and it remains to be seen whether the current sharper and more sensible message will indeed be welcomed by voters. However, at least the message is now coherent (the leaked 'lines to take' make good sense), which is an absolutely necessary first step.

• Options

No he does not .
    I don't care what a lot of stupid Tory MPs think. You do realise this is the most right-wing Conservative party of modern times? At least Thatcher had to worry about the wets in her own Party. No such problem besets Cameron. The draconian welfare policy, the (failed) radical fiscal policy, the major privatisation going on in the NHS and Education. Many areas dear Margaret wouldn't have dreamed trying to touch. And it couldn't be happening without Lib Dem support.
    Utter drivel
  • Options
    According to Guido, the L/D's are cosidering raising more tax from those earning above 50k.
    We are rapidly reachig the point where we will be issued with credit vouchers no pay..no cash..just vouchers.
    When will these bufffoons ever learn.
  • Options
    @tim - Define your bubble, and let's see if we can frame a bet on ot.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I'm coming to the conclusion that Vince Cable doesn't like the Tory party.

Though I did like his joke that he'd be considered a Young Conservative if he joined the Tory party today
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

No he does not .
    Utter drivel
    LOL - LIKE!!

• Options

According to Guido, the L/D's are cosidering raising more tax from those earning above 50k.
    We are rapidly reachig the point where we will be issued with credit vouchers no pay..no cash..just vouchers.

What's the take home pay of someone earning 50k?
  • Options
    tim said:

@tim - Define your bubble, and let's see if we can frame a bet on ot.

Inflation adjusted house prices above crash level before the end of help to buy.
    In what timescale, and excluding London?
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724

The Pocket Money Party
  • Options
    Surely the big point about housing is that the bubble never really burst in the first place. Housing is still very expensive based on long term indicators like average earnings.
  • Options

I think the LibDems are really getting the politics of this coalition malarkey right at last, having made a complete horlicks of it for most of 2011 and 2012. This is no doubt partly because they can see that the economy is finally coming good, and (reasonably enough) want to share in the credit for having stabilised things at a time of dire risk for the economy. But I don't think it's just that, they also seem to have realised that bashing the coalition is bashing their own USP, something they got wrong earlier. Obviously at the same time they need to differentiate themselves from their coalition partners, and I think they are doing a much better job on that as well.

Of course it's true that, as yet, there's not much comfort in the polls for the LibDems, and it remains to be seen whether the current sharper and more sensible message will indeed be welcomed by voters. However, at least the message is now coherent (the leaked 'lines to take' make good sense), which is an absolutely necessary first step.

I disagree - the Lib Dems have been better coalition partners than I expected back in 2010, all things considered. They've generally settled down and set about running the country. They've won some battles and lost others. Some Lib Dems have sounded off, whilst others muttered below their breaths.

But the same can be said for any single political party - they all have loudmouths and malcontents in them.

The way they've acted in coalition has made me more likely to vote Lib Dem, not less. Now, if only they could do something about the nuttier side of their party (Hancock, Ward etc), I'd be much more inclined to vote for them ...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,008
    I have an odds problem for everyone:

A tipster has a ROI from Dec 2010 of +13.9%. They have a 2013 ROI of 22.6%.

3 bets are advised as follows:

1 pt E/W @ 7/2, 1 pt E/W at 6/1, 0.5 pt E/W @ 10/1

However only 3/1, 11/2 and 9/1 are available.
    Should the bets be taken ?
  • Options
    tim - Steve Keen made a good point that the policy should be re-named. It should be called Help to Sell.
  • Options
    Patrick Wintour ‏@patrickwintour 11s

Cable said red lights were flashing on economy in the Guardian interview Friday. Now they are only amber. Economy on the mend ?
  • Options
    tim said:

Before the end of Help To Buy, and Help To Buy crazily covers London so London must be included.

But London prices were rising fast well before Help To Buy, and continue to rise fast for reasons completely unconnected with anything Osborne has done, so if you want to blame him for a bubble you need to exclude London.

Otherwise you're just saying London house prices are rising. Well we knew that.
  • Options
    tim said:

Pulpstar said:

You've worked out why Raceclears returns look so impressive.
    Given the run they are on it's tempting to take the bets, but long term it's borderline.
    What are the odds on Betfair ? You may be able to get the specified odds at some point during the day prior to the race .
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Patrick Wintour ‏@patrickwintour 11s

Cable said red lights were flashing on economy in the Guardian interview Friday. Now they are only amber. Economy on the mend ?

Lol -By the end of the speech it'll be green for go go go! Cable is totally so full of h*******t he really needs to 'cross the floor ' and be done.
  • Options
    @JosiasJessop - I don't disagree with that, I was talking about the messaging and tone rather than what they've done in government, which I agree has been mostly responsible and serious.
  • Options
    tim said:

Pulpstar said:

Given the run they are on it's tempting to take the bets, but long term it's borderline.
    I am down .138 pts from 67 pts staked on their 'theoretical' profit, so it is definitely possible to get their prices (If you are fast). But it seems to be getting harder to get on at their advised prices
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Pissing it down, again.

FPT: Mr. Eagles, the Daily Mash is a fine paper but years behind the modern thinking of Morris Dancer!
  • Options
    F1: early discussion of Singapore, as well as 2014 regulations perhaps helping Mercedes and the Ferrari lineup for next year, is up here:

http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/singapore-early-discussion.html
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited September 2013
    If I read OGH correctly - which I have a wont not doing - then this thread is about a Lemon or a Lime....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyX75NpibdU

Sorry, but my ESB is playing-up. Music calms....

:eek:

"English Settlement, 1982": If only innit!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,448

Surely the big point about housing is that the bubble never really burst in the first place. Housing is still very expensive based on long term indicators like average earnings.

Agree but, a bit like tim, this sort of leaves you without a party. Because the Labour Party, notwithstanding the original bubble, sure as hell isn't going to rebase the UK economy.

So if it's just house prices that you're concerned about (and it's a valid concern) then you rule yourself out of supporting the main three parties and perhaps should start thinking about your own party. The "Let's get House Prices back to 1981-Levels Party".

tim could formulate your economic policies.

Oh and good luck.
  • Options

tim said:

Pulpstar said:

What are the odds on Betfair ? You may be able to get the specified odds at some point during the day prior to the race .
    Factoring commission into account current prices on Betfair (Expressed as fractions for comparison)

Selection 1: 3.23/1 Win, 0.713/1 Place (Bookie pays 1/5th for place);
    High on a Hill: 5.13/1 ; Place 1.42/1 (Bookie pays 1/4 for place)
    Ingleby Star: 6.65/1 ; Place 1.634/1
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Clegg looks safe from Cable anyway after that speech - dreadful.

• Options
    So far as I can tell the Ingleby Star selection at 9-1 was definitely value, High on a Hill probably value at 11/2 with 'Hit the Jackpot' at 3-1 maybe -ve expected value.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

At the risk of pointing out the bleeding obvious you might wish to mull on the electoral numbers :

Con 306 .. LD 57 = Con led Coalition with clear overall majority = stable government for 5 years.

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    edited September 2013
    Verdict on the niqab case, via @ JackofKent:

http://www.judiciary.gov.uk/Resources/JCO/Documents/Judgments/The%20Queen%20-v-%20D%20(R).pdf

The reasoning seems generally fair and non-bonkers, but the result is a bit unfortunate: She only has to show her face if she gives evidence, which she can decline to do. It doesn't seem like a good thing to have rules that will discourage people from giving evidence.
  • Options
    Questions to which the answer is (sometimes) yes: should old historic ruins be rebuilt into modern homes?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23961842

We have developed a rather curious idea that something 'historic' is set sometime in the 1930-70 period, when conservation legislation started appearing alongside a fascination with our heritage. In reality, many of the structures altered over time, a process that stopped unnaturally with listing.

Instead we should allow careful redevelopment and alterations. Keep the best in aspic, and make the rest work better. Let people in 200 years ' time read a structure that has been used and lived in for centuries.

An unused ruin costs money to maintain. A home is at least a home.

And if the rules change, can I have first dibs on New Slains Castle?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Slains_Castle
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,103
    Anecdote alert :

I am in Germany today and the only posters and billboards I have seen have been for The Pirate Party.

Make of that what you will
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Agreed
  • Options

http://www.judiciary.gov.uk/Resources/JCO/Documents/Judgments/The%20Queen%20-v-%20D%20(R).pdf

The reasoning seems generally fair and non-bonkers, but the result is a bit unfortunate: She only has to show her face if she gives evidence, which she can decline to do. It doesn't seem like a good thing to have rules that will discourage people from giving evidence.

If she values the offence she'll give to her sky-fairy over her potential freedom and future, one might say she has her priorities a little skewed.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,037
    fitalass said:
    Because if you say it too early people will eventually ignore it. You need to start telling a story early enough that everyone has heard it but not too early that everyone hears it too often and thinks whatever before voting UKIP.

I'm sure the Tories will start telling people when the time comes and the story is obvious (after the euro elections when UKIP finish top)
  • Options
    rogerhrogerh Posts: 282
    Far to early to say Clegg is safe until 2015.Things are going to get worse before they get better. In 2014 the combination of appalling Euro Elections (possible 5th place in vote share and a handful of MEP's)and a further hollowing out of local councillors( particularly London ), could lead to a challenge.

I would take little comfort from marginal polls. Before the 2010 GE political betting was full of different sophisticated methods of forecasting number of seats. The actual results showed that Uniform National Swing was closest to actual results.
  • Options

If she values the offence she'll give to her sky-fairy over her potential freedom and future, one might say she has her priorities a little skewed.
    True, but anyone who lets their life get affected by an invisible superhero has their priorities skewed.
  • Options
    Mr. 1000, why are all the posters of the Pirate Party, you ask?

Because they arrr!
  • Options
    fitalass said:
    The hits on this blog will be off the kippometer scale

LIBLABCON LIBLABCON LIBLABCON !!

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    rcs1000 said:

Anecdote alert :

I am in Germany today and the only posters and billboards I have seen have been for The Pirate Party.

You are Herr Captain Von Pugwash and I claim a German sea shanty - The Horst Wessel ??

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,103
    I'm wondering if we are seeing a 'shy pirate' syndrome here in Germany...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Anecdote alert :

I remember being in Florida during one presidential campaign and all the posters and activity indicated a landslide win for Ross Perot .
  • Options

Yehbut!

In Nippon there is less of a problem, no? As Gin posited there is an element [of naqibists] that think that they are above the law*: All should be equal but you spin "Eight" when we can see it is a dismal "Five".

So 'breathe':

Think about were you are and how you are (just as I do). What ever you do don't pretend that you are a front-line reporter! Sir, you are a cad....

* Along with "tick-boxes" that support FGM and the culling of the female-fetus....

• Options
    FPT

***** BETTING POST *****

"YouGov President Peter Kellner predicts that UKIP will come first in the 2014 EU elections on 30%, Labour 25%, Con 18%, LD 8%"

Assuming Kellner knows what he's talking about (and one has to believe he does), his forecast of the share of the vote in next year's Euro elections appears to present punters with an attractive betting opportunity, bearing in mind that those nice people at Ladbrokes are offering odds of 5/4 against UKIP, that's a whopping 37.5% better than Hills' odds-on price of 10/11.

Those of a nervous disposition might wish to consider a combination bet instead, placing 56.1% of their stake on this bet with Ladbrokes and placing the remaining 43.9% of their stake with those nice people at Hills on Labour collecting the most votes at odds of 15/8.

According to my bead frame, whichever of these parties wins would deliver a profit of 26.3% on the combined amount staked - not a bad return over a period of 7.5 months.

As ever, do your own research.
  • Options

True, but anyone who lets their life get affected by an invisible superhero has their priorities skewed.
    I would never seek to ban it, but wish that more and more people (especially those on the left) weren't so shy to point out that it's clearly a symbol of oppression, and is an outdated practice which shouldn't continue.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Interesting speech by Cable. Looks like the start of process of LDs distancing themselves from their bedfellows.

The idea that he has gone rogue or is doing this purely off his own bat are wide of the mark IMO.

Looks like part of plan to me.
  • Options

FPT

***** BETTING POST *****

"YouGov President Peter Kellner predicts that UKIP will come first in the 2014 EU elections on 30%, Labour 25%, Con 18%, LD 8%"

Assuming Kellner knows what he's talking about (and one has to believe he does), his forecast of the share of the vote in next year's Euro elections appears to present punters with an attractive betting opportunity, bearing in mind that those nice people at Ladbrokes are offering odds of 5/4 against UKIP, that's a whopping 37.5% better than Hills' odds-on price of 10/11.

Those of a nervous disposition might wish to consider a combination bet instead, placing 56.1% of their stake on this bet with Ladbrokes and placing the remaining 43.9% of their stake with those nice people at Hills on Labour collecting the most votes at odds of 15/8.

According to my bead frame, whichever of these parties wins would deliver a profit of 26.3% on the combined amount staked - not a bad return over a period of 7.5 months.

As ever, do your own research.

What was his forecast a year ahead of 2009 Euros and a year ahead of 2010 GE . We need to assess his track record ,
  • Options
    If the Pirate Party don't win in Germany, will we see a lot of Angry Pirates?

::Innocent face::

Whatever you do, don't google "Angry pirate"
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    TGOHF said:

fitalass said:
    The hits on this blog will be off the kippometer scale

LIBLABCON LIBLABCON LIBLABCON !!

Ye gods, there's a fine bunch of comments beneath that article. At one point froth started seeping from the corner of my monitor, accompanied by a faint rendition of "Rule Britannia".

Didn't spot any "EUSSR's" though, which was disappointing...
  • Options

I disagree - the economic agenda has worked.

This is an interesting question. What constitutes "worked"?

Certainly the GDP figures are currently looking much better than they have done for six years or so, but given that they have been a lot worse than forecast, would that not mean the agenda had failed?

In 2010 I said that I would judge the Coalition's handling of the economy on four metrics. This is how I think the Coalition are doing.

1. Debt - mixed. Private debt is down by one quarter. Corporate debt is down [I think, on the basis of press reports]. Osborne will miss his planned debt targets.

2. Trade - poor. At best the trade deficit has remained static, but it's possible that it is widening slightly.

3. Unemployment - surprisingly good. We have certainly avoided the worst when you look across at the Eurozone. Unfortunately, this seems to have occurred at least partly because businesses are substituting cheap labour for investment in improving productivity.

4. Standard of Living - not as bad as it looks. A simple comparison of average earnings and inflation looks dire, but Osborne's tax changes have meant that most people have seen their real income after tax increase. Unfortunately, there's a limit to how long the government can subsidise low pay by cutting taxes when it is running a massive deficit.

I don't see a decisive shift in the nation's fortunes here, and it is a long way from the success of Osborne's stated economic agenda. Certainly the picture is more nuanced than if you had spent the last few years simply following the quarterly GDP figures - which have been affected by the decline in North Sea Oil output - but the fundamentals are pretty weak, and some of the good news looks to be based on temporary measures that cannot persist indefinitely.
  • Options
    Mr. Slackbladder, if it's an outdated practice that shouldn't continue *and* a symbol of oppression, why shouldn't we ban it?

I dislike banning things, but I'm also pretty uncomfortable about the niqab and burkha. I'm even more displeased by the intimidation planned which prompted a university to change its policy (reminded me of Lord Ahmed's promise to summon 10,000 angry Muslims if Geert Wilders was allowed to show Fitna) and the tyranny of the minority on display (typically through the line "It's my religion, so there").
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    As I have said before, UKIP is the ultimate "F*cking for Virginity" Party. They will cause to be delivered everything that is anathema to their voters, ie Ed Miliband. But there is plenty of time for the voters to appreciate this. One consequence of the fixed term Parliament is that everyone not obsessed with politics (ie few on here but most out there) has had the luxury of switching off thinking about the general election until, ooh, say Easter 2015.

And 2013 was always going to be a dead year in politics for the Coalition, pretty much. Heads down, try not to do anything too crap, look like you want the job, and let Ed get on with showing his credentials as PM in waiting (snigger!). Which is the very reason UKIP has been able to rise in 2013 - people could toy with it because nothing much mattered.

2013 is more important for Labour, in that it should have been the year that they started to unveil their leader and their policies. So far, nothing. On either score.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    edited September 2013
    rcs1000 said:

Anecdote alert :

This is what happens when you apply the principles of open source system administration to a political movement.
    http://falkvinge.net/2013/05/01/swarmwise-the-tactical-manual-to-changing-the-world-chapter-four/
    (Scroll down to the bit about scaling out.)

Whether it'll translate into votes is a different question though. I don't see why the opinion polls shouldn't be picking it up, unless there's a prompting issue or something.
  • Options
    Off-topic:

Is the most futile thing in God's Great Earth winding-up Wodger? The sad sack really is - erm, what is the word - Soho-trash. Another day: &c....

:what-you-reap-you-stupid-mong-will-be-spammed-innit:
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    edited September 2013
    Pulpstar said:

If you make two assumptions, yes.

The first is naturally that this combination will show about a 15 ROI% (which is a natural assumption if you take tips).

The second is that the ROI is consistent across the three component parts - that the expected return as tipped doesn't come from bet 1 being great value and the other two being less good value for example.
  • Options

I disagree - the economic agenda has worked.

This is an interesting question. What constitutes "worked"?

(Snip)

All good points, but I would caution about forecasts from 2010 - the world changed rapidly with the Eurozone crisis that gathered pace later in that year. Any forecast would have been thrown out, and that applies to Labour as much as it does to the Conservatives. Have you factored that into your consideration?

The definition of 'worked' will depend on your outlook. But I'm generally positive - the miracle of the last recession was that unemployment figures did not increase as much as some were predicting (*). There'll be plenty of studies of why that happened in the UK, when other European countries had shockingly high unemployment levels. Low wages will be one factor, however I'd be much more interested in the shifting workforce demographic.

But on the whole, things feel much better than the doomtellers were predicting two years ago. Although Balls' predictions are a very low baseline to work from ...

(*) It's still a personal tragedy for those looking for work.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited September 2013
    "If there was going to be a threat to Nick Clegg’s leadership at the annual conference "

There never was or we would have been hearing briefings to the press from his loyal lib dem ministers of the same type Clegg made when he happily stabbed Ming Campbell in the back.

Nobody wants to take Clegg's place as the coalition shit magnet this far out from the election quite obviously.

So Clegg's ostrich faction have to spin and bear it till next year by creating these amusing 'victories' out of Clegg not being toppled quite yet. While those who have an eye on replacing him put markers down for when they feel it is safer and less toxic to take over.

Their problem is that Clegg's toxicity will only taint the lib dem brand ever more the longer he is there. The polls and the hammerings the lib dem base and membership are taking year on year are quite real.

Clegg's recent cosying up to Cammie and the tories, instead of keeping equidistance, is yet more of the strategic 'genius' that saw him fail miserably on voting reform and house of lords reform. If Clegg and his bubble people really are deranged enough to think there is room for another centre right leaning party at the next election (alongside UKIP and the tories) then those lib dems who are putting up with him right now, because they think things can't get any worse, are going to be in for a shock.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,958
    edited September 2013

As I have said before, UKIP is the ultimate "F*cking for Virginity" Party. They will cause to be delivered everything that is anathema to their voters, ie Ed Miliband. But there is plenty of time for the voters to appreciate this.

Alternatively, right-wing voters might feel that one term of screwing themselves by giving Ed Miliband 2015 is worth it if it forces the Tories to make a referendum on Europe an unqualified manifesto commitment for 2020 with absolute no wiggle room. It only makes no sense if you take a one-term view.
  • Options
    Frank Booth: "As a Liberal Democrat he needs to explain why it was in the national interest to have a Tory dominated government."

Plan B was a coalition Govt, with a Labour Party having either Gordon Brown or a caretaker until September 2010 then replaced by (as history shows) Ed Miliband- and with Balls as Chancellor. It is not a giant leap to believe that was not in the national interest. For not allowing Plan B to occur, the nation should indeed consider its best interests were served by Clegg.

Plan C was bumbling along with no overall control, until another election in probably October 2010. With Ed Miliband on offer and the Clegg-asm having greatly subsided, quite possibly it was delivering a slim Tory majority this time. If you believe Clegg at this week's conference, he does not think the national interest would have been best served by a majority Tory Party in power able to implement full-strength austerity.

So, short of persuading 150 Tories to cross over to the LibDems to even up the numbers, there is your explanation.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    edited September 2013
    Mr. Quincel, not really my period but I believed the German Communists were happy Hitler won initially as it would prove to the people how incompetent he and his party was and then the Communists would be swept to power in a landslide victory.

Didn't quite work out that way.

Edited extra bit: ahem, I'm not equating Miliband to Hitler, obviously. The example above is just to prove that things often don't go as intended and that wishing victory for your enemies is unwise.
  • Options
    Lol

Lord Ashcroft ‏@LordAshcroft 3m
    Vince Cable now 6/1 joint favourite to be next cabinet minister out

• Options
    TwistedFireStopperTwistedFireStopper Posts: 2,538
    edited September 2013
    Sky are broadcasting live Fox News, some sort of "Active Shooter" incident in a Washington US Navy dockyard. Confused and conflicting reports, obviously
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,233

Mr. Slackbladder, if it's an outdated practice that shouldn't continue *and* a symbol of oppression, why shouldn't we ban it?

I dislike banning things, but I'm also pretty uncomfortable about the niqab and burkha. I'm even more displeased by the intimidation planned which prompted a university to change its policy (reminded me of Lord Ahmed's promise to summon 10,000 angry Muslims if Geert Wilders was allowed to show Fitna) and the tyranny of the minority on display (typically through the line "It's my religion, so there").

IMO the burqa and niqab should be banned for those under 18. Let British girls (regardless of their religion) get fully educated (including in sports) and let them make their own minds up when they are adult. We need to give them the freedom to resist pressure from a certain sect within Islam to conform to their particular view of what being a good Muslim woman means. It is naive to think that the decision to wear the burqa is simply the same as choosing to wear red shoes. There is a very determined pressure to adopt a particular view of Islam, to make it the only acceptable form of what it means to be a good Muslim and to wave two fingers at Western norms and values. That pressure is itself highly illiberal and in the balance between those with such views and the freedom of girls to make their own choices, I'm on the side of the girls. It should also be banned in courts for defendants and witnesses and barristers and bodies such as schools should be free to ban it as they see fit e.g. like banks asking people to remove motorcycle helmets.

• Options

As a Liberal Democrat he needs to explain why it was in the national interest to have a Tory dominated government.
    Take it up with the electorate!

What else could Clegg have done?

Meanwhile, another day, another grown up policy decision. The protest party grows up.

The comparison with Labour will be interesting.....
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Quincel said:

Alternatively, right-wing voters might feel that one term of screwing themselves by giving Ed Miliband 2015 is worth it if it forces the Tories to make a referendum on Europe an unqualified manifesto commitment for 2020 with absolute no wiggle room. It only makes no sense if you take a one-term view

But then, in 2020, does UKIP vanish? No. It will say "only UKIP delivered this volte face - stick with us." Splitting the right vote for yet another election. And by then, Ed Miliband will have us signed up to the Euro and God knows what other conventions/constitutions that will be impossible to unravel.

In gratitude, he can have Nigel Farage put on Britain's 100 Euro note....

"Nigel Farage - the man who made all this possible..."

• Options
    edited September 2013

Please!
    Only gullible fools and inept comedy spinners fall for this 'national interest' bullshit spin.

You can be 100% certain that if, say, Clegg had stood firm on PR instead of AV, and Cammie couldn't get that past his backbenches resulting in confidence and supply, then that would have been spun as in the 'national interest' and the only responsible course of action etc.

If the negotiations had went any other way for any other reason and a minority administration was found to be the only workable solution, then that would have been spun as in the national interest and the only responsible course of action etc.

You can also be certain that both parties had their spin prepared just in case any of the other options were the ones taken or things went south in the negotiations. We actually saw a glimpse of that when it looked for a brief time like the lib dems were thinking again and considering some imaginary offer from labour to try and push for more concessions from Cameron. (a tactic which failed unsurprisingly)
  • Options
    On topic, it's nice to see that conventional wisdom is catching up with the unholy alliance of Mark Senior and me. I can remember when we stood more or less alone in saying that Nick Clegg was master of his own destiny this side of a general election.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited September 2013
    Is Clegg really safe to the GE in 2015?
    Cable's chances of becoming Leader are better in the short term than medium term due to his age.
    The next dangerous time for Clegg is a near wipe out at the EC elections next year. The system of voting creates a series of seats that could fall if their vote only moves down by just 5 percentage points. The difference between 11 MEPs or 2 hinges on that small change. Beware an old man in a hurry Mr Clegg.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

As I have said before, UKIP is the ultimate "F*cking for Virginity" Party. They will cause to be delivered everything that is anathema to their voters, ie Ed Miliband. But there is plenty of time for the voters to appreciate this.

Alternatively, right-wing voters might feel that one term of screwing themselves by giving Ed Miliband 2015 is worth it if it forces the Tories to make a referendum on Europe an unqualified manifesto commitment for 2020 with absolute no wiggle room. It only makes no sense if you take a one-term view.
    Are people really that dumb?

• Options
    antifrank said:

On topic, it's nice to see that conventional wisdom is catching up with the unholy alliance of Mark Senior and me. I can remember when we stood more or less alone in saying that Nick Clegg was master of his own destiny this side of a general election.

The only people calling for Clegg's head were 2010 LDs - and they are mostly all voting Labour now ;)
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    edited September 2013
    "Please!
    Only gullible fools and inept comedy spinners fall for this 'national interest' bullshit spin"

Well that's the SNP manifesto rubbished.
  • Options
    Whilst I have some sympathy with restrictions (note, not banning) of facial coverings in certain circumstances, such as Courts, what the hell is the idea that it should be banned in public places?
    I thought you righties were libertarian? How far do you want to go? Is it just the Muslim veil that upsets you? What about cyclists wearing bandanas when its cold? Children wrapped up in snorkel parkas in winter, you banning them? Teenage lads in hoodies?
    I hear an amazing argument that people feel intimidated by veiled women in public, it's alien, not pleasant to look at, not part of our culture. There are plenty of things I find disturbing to look at on the streets, but Muslim women ain't one of 'em.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

antifrank said:

The only people calling for Clegg's head were 2010 LDs - and they are mostly all voting Labour now ;)
    I thought we'd established the 2010 "LD"s were Labour voters having a hissy fit ?
  • Options
    Re: Kellner's forecast for Euro % votes next year. His 8% forecast for the LDs could bring in just 2 MEPs for the LDs (currently 11). Last time the Greens had 2 MEPs from an 8.6% overall vote.
  • Options
    edited September 2013

Well that's the SNP manifesto rubbished.

Rubbished on here by out of touch right-wingers is high praise indeed. ;)
  • Options
    antifrank said:

I am a contrarian to all this media hype that "Clegg is safe".
  • Options

TGOHF said:

antifrank said:

I thought we'd established the 2010 "LD"s were Labour voters having a hissy fit ?
    Everyone is a Labour voter apparently - some just haven't been asked by yougov yet ;)
  • Options

antifrank said:

I am a contrarian to all this media hype that "Clegg is safe".
    Come 2015 will you have the courage to admit that you were wrong ?
  • Options
    Mick Pork is right. The "National Interest" line is pure hokum. The 3 parties are only interested in being in government, however that is achieved. Let's not let them get away with trying to tell us otherwise.
  • Options
    AB..Do the SNP actually have a manifesto?
  • Options
    F1: Mercedes are only 3.5 to top score in Singapore. Thinking about it. When considering that sort of bet it's important to remember the premium for a win (1st and 5th gets more points than 2nd and 3rd, and 1st alone gets more than 2nd and 7th combined).
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

antifrank said:

Everyone is a Labour voter apparently - some just haven't been asked by yougov yet ;)
    Or been signed up by Unite yet.

• Options

Whilst I have some sympathy with restrictions (note, not banning) of facial coverings in certain circumstances, such as Courts, what the hell is the idea that it should be banned in public places?
    I thought you righties were libertarian? How far do you want to go? Is it just the Muslim veil that upsets you? What about cyclists wearing bandanas when its cold? Children wrapped up in snorkel parkas in winter, you banning them? Teenage lads in hoodies?
    I hear an amazing argument that people feel intimidated by veiled women in public, it's alien, not pleasant to look at, not part of our culture. There are plenty of things I find disturbing to look at on the streets, but Muslim women ain't one of 'em.

I agree with most of that (restriction, but no bans)
    Worth noting though that hoodies are banned in certain public places, as are crash helmets in banks etc...
  • Options

AB..Do the SNP actually have a manifesto?

yes, but I believe it can be a little bit fluid. Euro one day pound the next that sort of thing.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited September 2013
    OGH "Farron’s reading, I guess, is that his career prospects would be better served by backing Clegg at his stage and not doing anything that could be portrayed as a rift."
    Yes Farron has a better chance against Cable if the contest is after the GE than before it. So staying loyal and delaying a contest helps Farron.

Re: Mark Senior, I am not saying Clegg is doomed, just that events arising from the EC elections could unseat him.
  • Options
    I'd like to point out I compared Clegg to Caesar a few years ago.

Anyone wishing to end his career would regret it as much as the Senate plotters that stabbed Caesar in the back, front and side.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Sky: US Navy reporting multiple fatalities and injuries after shooting at Washington Navy Yard...
  • Options

I agree with most of that (restriction, but no bans)
    Worth noting though that hoodies are banned in certain public places, as are crash helmets in banks etc...
    That's just common sense, but you can't get your collar felt just by walking down the street in a hoody, or cycling to work, whilst wearing a bandana. Well, not yet, anyway.

This discussion has been closed.