Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » That Survation 7% LAB lead poll looks very much the outlier –

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,921
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

O/T I didn't have one of my better days today. I was driving to Aberdeen and my car caught fire, eventually burning out almost completely. No one hurt thankfully but pretty damn depressing.

What impressed me most is that when my car was very well lit and spewing black smoke over the carriageway the Firemen went right up to it and started hosing it down. Personally, I was about 30m away because I was genuinely concerned that the fuel tank might explode. The casual bravery of these men is just so impressive.

You can put a match out in a bucket of petrol. (So long as you've blown away the vapour first.)
    I would think that a rather hazardous experiment, as the vapour pressure of petrol would replenish it too quickly for the test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1RMrh9Lf1I

It's a cigarette, but the same principle applies.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

O/T I didn't have one of my better days today. I was driving to Aberdeen and my car caught fire, eventually burning out almost completely. No one hurt thankfully but pretty damn depressing.

What impressed me most is that when my car was very well lit and spewing black smoke over the carriageway the Firemen went right up to it and started hosing it down. Personally, I was about 30m away because I was genuinely concerned that the fuel tank might explode. The casual bravery of these men is just so impressive.

Blimey thank goodness you are ok.

May I ask how a car just catches fire these days?
    Really not sure. I think there was a problem with the clutch because the gears suddenly started slipping and I started to lose power just before I stopped. How that led to a fire I really don't know.
    On the positive side, you now get to go new car shopping.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Why are remainers obsessed by blue passports ?

The Daily Mail are Remainers?

Have you fallen down and hit your head on something hard?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,619
    TGOHF said:

May we assume you didn't see the Daily Mail front page below?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,245
    viewcode said:

TGOHF said:

May we assume you didn't see the Daily Mail front page below?
    I wouldn’t mind but it’s the wrong effing blue. Literally a pale imitation of the old one.
  • Options
    God I hate people who pretend to be ordinary working class outsiders.

https://twitter.com/David__Osland/status/976915487715201026
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Really not sure. I think there was a problem with the clutch because the gears suddenly started slipping and I started to lose power just before I stopped. How that led to a fire I really don't know.
    Wow well as said thank goodness you’re ok. How old was the car I mean will this become a recall thing?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Can I ask what the make and model is?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    Kippers returning home...

Worksop South East (Bassetlaw) result:

LAB: 77.3% (+21.1)
    CON: 15.2% (+15.2)
    LDEM: 7.5% (+7.5)

Labour HOLD.

No UKIP (-25.2), Grn (-10.3) and Ind (-8.3) as prev.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,130

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Was is a more applicable tense. An Audi A4.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Wow well as said thank goodness you’re ok. How old was the car I mean will this become a recall thing?
    5 years old, about 110k miles. Been pretty reliable until now.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Cheers.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    dixiedean said:

Labour HOLD.

CON up infinity is what I'm seeing. :smiley:
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Ha is that like all seemed to be going well when he jumped from the 20th floor until he hit the ground?

(Able to make that joke as all was well with you.)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625
    Yes, fair point, so really polls remain useless since there's no way to tell which ones are most accurate, and those that are might be from pure luck. But we just cannot give them up.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited March 2018
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Bloody German made crap ;-)
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Ha is that like all seemed to be going well when he jumped from the 20th floor until he hit the ground?

(Able to make that joke as all was well with you.)
    Yes, a bit like that. Anyway off for a shower to try and get rid of this smoke.
  • Options

IIRC Hillary Clinton said she couldn't think of anything more outsider than being a woman president. Which I could certainly see of the former first lady, senator and secretary of state. Such an outsider.

Of course, even Jeb Bush tried that nonsense.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576
    DavidL said:

Sympathies - you made the papers (unless someone else was equally unlucky!)

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/angus-mearns/623127/car-goes-up-in-flames-on-a90-near-stracathro/
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Its like Lady Bucket playing the one of the ordinary working class folk tag.
  • Options
    RobD said:

dixiedean said:

Labour HOLD.

CON up infinity is what I'm seeing. :smiley:
    LD's too :).
    We can project a H of C with an infinite number of Con and LD and zero Labour...???

• Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,291
    The Mail is understandably cross: the blue-passport thing was a totemic Brexit issue - a return to the days when Britain was glorious and free - but this makes it all look a bit naff. Does this also signify that Dacre is falling out of love with Theresa? He's given her numerous chances, but with this, and fish, perhaps he's finally had enough.
  • Options

DavidL said:

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/angus-mearns/623127/car-goes-up-in-flames-on-a90-near-stracathro/
    Holy smokes.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Yep, that's it. Fame at last.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Usually a failed turbo seal allowing oil into the hot side of the turbo and exhaust manifold.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046
    For those wanting to set a high bar for Corbyn here are the swings from government to opposition from the general election result to the following year's local elections:

1980-1981 Con -> Lab 5%
    1983-1984 Con -> Lab 7%
    1987-1988 Con -> Lab 5%
    1992-1993 Con -> Lab 8%
    1997-1998 Lab -> Con 3%
    2001-2002 Lab -> Con 5%
    2005-2006 Lab -> Con 8%
    2010-2011 Con -> Lab 3%
    2015-2016 Con -> Lab 4%
  • Options
    Looks like @TissuePrice didn't succeed. .

Labour GAIN Leek West (Staffordshire Moorlands) from Conservative.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Usually a failed turbo seal allowing oil into the hot side of the turbo and exhaust manifold.
    Thanks. I’m not sure I’m any the wiser but I did ask.

Edit: nite all.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,529
    dixiedean said:

Looks like @TissuePrice didn't succeed. .

Labour GAIN Leek West (Staffordshire Moorlands) from Conservative.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/976965766523314177?s=19
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I thought it was only Remainers obsessed with this story.
    So did I. What a ridiculous headline
    From the outside it looks like De La Rue bid high in the belief that the Government would feel obliged to keep the contract here, and have now leaked the likely outcome to try to salvage the situation. Good on the Government for calling their bluff.
    Do we know what they're paid for the current contract and how that varies from the new contract bids ?
  • Options
    Leek West (Staffordshire Moorlands) result:

LAB: 42.9% (+23.6)
    CON: 32.6% (+0.6)
    LDEM: 19.2% (+8.7)
    IND: 5.4% (+5.4)

Labour GAIN from Conservative.

No Local Indy Group (-14.0), Grn (-11.1) and Ind(s) (-13.2) as prev.
  • Options
    Bunbury (Cheshire East) result:

CON: 53.3% (-16.9)
    LDEM: 27.5% (+27.5)
    LAB: 14.3% (-3.4)
    GRN: 4.8% (-7.2)

Conservative HOLD.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Ahem *prepares joke to lighten mood* and of course, at the end of the day you still ended up in Aberdeen, so no way to salvage the day.

I did have a colleague once whose housed burned down, and weeks later they were at a public meeting where the fire service were showing video highlights of their year, and they got to watch footage of their place burning with dozens of people present. Not great times.
  • Options
    Bunbury? Leek West? These by-elections don't even have the decency to have truly memorable ward names, I'm going to bed.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Strong results for Labour this evening
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Ahem *prepares joke to lighten mood* and of course, at the end of the day you still ended up in Aberdeen, so no way to salvage the day.

I did have a colleague once whose housed burned down, and weeks later they were at a public meeting where the fire service were showing video highlights of their year, and they got to watch footage of their place burning with dozens of people present. Not great times.
    Didn't make Aberdeen funnily enough. Trying again on Wednesday. You have all been warned. Nite all.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited March 2018

For those wanting to set a high bar for Corbyn here are the swings from government to opposition from the general election result to the following year's local elections:

1980-1981 Con -> Lab 5%
    1983-1984 Con -> Lab 7%
    1987-1988 Con -> Lab 5%
    1992-1993 Con -> Lab 8%
    1997-1998 Lab -> Con 3%
    2001-2002 Lab -> Con 5%
    2005-2006 Lab -> Con 8%
    2010-2011 Con -> Lab 3%
    2015-2016 Con -> Lab 4%

So if Corbyn is heading for PM like Smith and Blair from 1992-1997 and Cameron from 2005-2006 he should be aiming for a swing from the Tories of at least 8%+ in the local elections in May.
  • Options

Bar Cameron and arguably as the niece of Lord Longford including him, Harman is posher than any of our PMs or Leaders of the Opposition since Douglas Home
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    edited March 2018
    Scott_P said:
    Why am I reminded of one of those decks of Most-wanted Iraqis playing cards....?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Bunbury?...These by-elections don't even have the decency to have truly memorable ward names,

Ah, but you don't know your Wilde... :)

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Bunburying

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

So far. But they are ultimately ephemera. Unless a serious long-lasting trend emerges.
  • Options
    Fox is pals with Rove too, it was thanks to Fox Howard was able to keep some sort of relationship with the George W Bush administration as Rove loathed Howard after he backtracked on IDS' support for Blair and the Iraq War over the failure to find weapons of mass destruction and Rove even turned up at the UK embassy on general election night in 2005 wearing a Labour rosette.

Fox may be able to be the Tories closest link to the Trump administration too.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

kle4 said:

Bunbury?...These by-elections don't even have the decency to have truly memorable ward names,

I lack any culture that is not pop culture, alas.
  • Options
    Penalties would be better...
    Told it's now a draw between Labour and the Tories in Ockendon (Thurrock). Coin toss?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

1980-1981 Con -> Lab 5%
    1983-1984 Con -> Lab 7%
    1987-1988 Con -> Lab 5%
    1992-1993 Con -> Lab 8%
    1997-1998 Lab -> Con 3%
    2001-2002 Lab -> Con 5%
    2005-2006 Lab -> Con 8%
    2010-2011 Con -> Lab 3%
    2015-2016 Con -> Lab 4%

So if Corbyn is heading for PM like Smith and Blair from 1992-1997 and Cameron from 2005-2006 he should be aiming for a swing from the Tories of at least 8%+ in the local elections in May.
    Well its a small sample and the swings are dependent upon the starting point.

But looking further back the Conservatives in 1967 and 1975 and Labour in 1971 all had very good local election wins and went on to gain power at the subsequent general election.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

Keats and Yeats on your side then...
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Told it's now a draw between Labour and the Tories in Ockendon (Thurrock). Coin toss?

Or drawing of straws.

Do they have a vote to decide which ?
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Or drawing of straws.

They could toss a coin to decide whether to draw lots or play scissoors, paper stone.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited March 2018
    The Tories were one vote ahead of Labour on the first count in Ockendon.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

Ah, but is love on Dixie's side?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUT9hZWTWM0

[and if it's hit the point in the evening where I start posting pop vids, it's probably time to bed. @TheScreamingEagles , I meant it about the sources, please]
  • Options

HYUFD said:

1980-1981 Con -> Lab 5%
    1983-1984 Con -> Lab 7%
    1987-1988 Con -> Lab 5%
    1992-1993 Con -> Lab 8%
    1997-1998 Lab -> Con 3%
    2001-2002 Lab -> Con 5%
    2005-2006 Lab -> Con 8%
    2010-2011 Con -> Lab 3%
    2015-2016 Con -> Lab 4%

Well its a small sample and the swings are dependent upon the starting point.

But looking further back the Conservatives in 1967 and 1975 and Labour in 1971 all had very good local election wins and went on to gain power at the subsequent general election.
    Yes opposition parties tend to get a swing to them in local elections but it is the size of the swing that is key to whether they will form the next government.

If the swing is 0-5% they probably won't, if the swing is 5-10% they probably will.
  • Options
    valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 605
    Tory's win Thurrock on toss of coin.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Or drawing of straws.

They could toss a coin to decide whether to draw lots or play scissoors, paper stone.
    Death match the only suitable way to decide - we'll see who believes in democracy the most
  • Options
    viewcode said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

Ah, but is love on Dixie's side?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUT9hZWTWM0

[and if it's hit the point in the evening where I start posting pop vids, it's probably time to bed. @TheScreamingEagles , I meant it about the sources, please]
    All things are welcome and needed on my side! Sleep well!
  • Options
    Central & Walton (Aylesbury Valey) result:

LDEM: 40.9% (+18.1)
    CON: 31.5% (-1.1)
    LAB: 19.8% (+0.9)
    GRN: 4.5% (-4.0)
    IND: 3.3% (+3.3)

Liberal Democrat GAIN from Conservative.

No UKIP (-17.2) as prev.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,929
    Lib Dems gain Aylesbury Central
  • Options
    Some drama, if no deeper meaning to these by-elections.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Some drama, if no deeper meaning

That's my mission statement when it comes to posts, what a coincidence.

Night all
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

You gave them the kiss of death on the coin toss!
  • Options
    viewcode said:

kle4 said:

And possibly more to it than that.....

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2001/jun/05/theatre.artsfeatures
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

No UKIP (-17.2) as prev.

Yellow Kippers.....
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

You gave them the kiss of death on the coin toss!
    Well, Tories are for the wealthy, it would make sense for a coin to favour them.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    dixiedean said:

No UKIP (-17.2) as prev.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/976972248430063616

Those kippers are not breaking to the Tories.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,307
    The radio tonight is saying the passport contract has not yet been awarded? Looks like a bit of political stage management to me. My guess is after a public outcry, the contract will go to the British firm after all, but for a reduced quote, saving the taxpayer tens of millions, and the Government will come out looking both patriotic and responsible guardians of the public purse.

All probably because they need cover for making a big concession like selling out the fisherman or something probably, which is sad, but the passport thing is still quite clever.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

No UKIP (-17.2) as prev.

Well the Tories did gain the seat from UKIP so obviously rather more than a few kippers broke for the Tories!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

No UKIP (-17.2) as prev.

Well the Tories did gain the seat from UKIP so obviously rather more than a few kippers broke for the Tories!
    You are the expert in straw clutching (drawing) :)
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited March 2018
    edit
  • Options
    What a disgusting place Oxford is. Close it down.

An Oxford University student who went in costume as a Ku Klux Klan member to a college fancy dress party has been selected for this weekend’s Boat Race despite being banned from all social events at his college.

Benedict Aldous, 20, was on the reserves but received a call-up for Saturday’s race after a rower fell ill.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/oxford-boat-race-rower-benedict-aldous-wore-kkk-fancy-dress-to-party-dfg326h2c
  • Options
    Portillo on This Week says he does not think May is particularly up to the job of PM but she does not create the antipathy Osborne did. Though Johnson says Cameron and Osborne better at winning elections.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Bolton appointment may at least be good news for May in toughening up the Trump administration stance on Putin and Russia
    https://twitter.com/AmbJohnBolton/status/976174256232026112
    https://twitter.com/AmbJohnBolton/status/975848956507971585
  • Options

The radio tonight is saying the passport contract has not yet been awarded? Looks like a bit of political stage management to me. My guess is after a public outcry, the contract will go to the British firm after all, but for a reduced quote, saving the taxpayer tens of millions, and the Government will come out looking both patriotic and responsible guardians of the public purse.

All probably because they need cover for making a big concession like selling out the fisherman or something probably, which is sad, but the passport thing is still quite clever.

When I read the story yesterday I thought that that the contract had been awarded surprisingly quickly.

The only guaranteed thing is that's its going to make people even more cynical about how government operates.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

Do we know what they're paid for the current contract and how that varies from the new contract bids ?

£400m in 2009, which is about £510m in today's money.

Apparently the French firm whose name I forget bid £490m this time, De la Rue bid £610m.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    I think Trump won't make it to a second term now. The appointment of Bolton is just such a collosal about turn from his entire campaign on foreign policy. Uuge
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

What a disgusting place Oxford is. Close it down.

An Oxford University student who went in costume as a Ku Klux Klan member to a college fancy dress party has been selected for this weekend’s Boat Race despite being banned from all social events at his college.

Benedict Aldous, 20, was on the reserves but received a call-up for Saturday’s race after a rower fell ill.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/oxford-boat-race-rower-benedict-aldous-wore-kkk-fancy-dress-to-party-dfg326h2c

Ed Balls dressed as a Nazi when he was a student. He managed to survive somehow
  • Options

dixiedean said:

No UKIP (-17.2) as prev.

Yellow Kippers.....
    The NOTA factor
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    "EU and six other countries exempted from US metals tariffs"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43505804
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    What is the kremlinology of the Bolton appointment? Trump has often been critical of the Bush-era neocons, and Bolton is no fan of Russia, so that is two reasons not to appoint him. Has Bolton been imposed on Trump?
  • Options

What is the kremlinology of the Bolton appointment? Trump has often been critical of the Bush-era neocons, and Bolton is no fan of Russia, so that is two reasons not to appoint him. Has Bolton been imposed on Trump?

No
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    Andrew said:

Apparently the French firm whose name I forget bid £490m this time, De la Rue bid £610m.

The acid test for many people would be do you want your passport produced by the most efficient (ie cheapest) bidder (in France/Netherlands) or do you want to pay £10 extra (or whatever it is) and have it made in the UK, I for one would not be sure what the answer would be for most people. If we start going down that route again, we end up with aircraft carriers and stuff that is way overpriced but is made in the UK
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

No
    In other news, it looks like Bolton is linked to Cambridge Analytica. It is hard to keep up with this. Maybe in a day or so the American press will have figured it out and/or Trump will have replaced someone else (two this week already).
  • Options

Andrew said:

The acid test for many people would be do you want your passport produced by the most efficient (ie cheapest) bidder (in France/Netherlands) or do you want to pay £10 extra (or whatever it is) and have it made in the UK, I for one would not be sure what the answer would be for most people. If we start going down that route again, we end up with aircraft carriers and stuff that is way overpriced but is made in the UK
    On the one hand, you've got the extreme free trade, chlorinated chicken and Euro-passport crowd. On the other, the trade deficit hawks and take back control alliance. It is hard to call and some are beginning to suspect the government's position is even less coherent than Labour's, which is a shame because Labour's really does not matter whereas the government is responsible for steering us to the post-Brexit sunlit uplands.
  • Options

“Kremlinology” ho ho.....
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Andrew said:

De La Rue took the piss, assuming that the British government would want a British contractor.

And you know what, if they'd bid £525m, that would be one thing. But they didn't. The bid 20% higher (in real terms), for a contract where they'd already made the capital expenditure, and which should have been cheaper in real terms.

They behaved poorly and the government was right to take the contract from them.

(And this is important: we want British firms to win contracts, sure. But we want them to win them by bidding a good price, not by assuming that the will win by default. The signal sent: that the British tax payer will not be taken advantage of, is the right one.)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    rcs1000 said:

Andrew said:

De La Rue took the piss, assuming that the British government would want a British contractor.

And you know what, if they'd bid £525m, that would be one thing. But they didn't. The bid 20% higher (in real terms), for a contract where they'd already made the capital expenditure, and which should have been cheaper in real terms.

They behaved poorly and the government was right to take the contract from them.

(And this is important: we want British firms to win contracts, sure. But we want them to win them by bidding a good price, not by assuming that the will win by default. The signal sent: that the British tax payer will not be taken advantage of, is the right one.)
    Maybe they can come back to HMG with a (much) lower offer? :p
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,905
    Pulpstar said:

I think Trump won't make it to a second term now. The appointment of Bolton is just such a collosal about turn from his entire campaign on foreign policy. Uuge

I can't imagine Bolton and Trump lasting long given their different positions.
    But what is the relevance to Trump making it to a second term?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Andrew said:

Absolutely right.
  • Options

Its like Lady Bucket playing the one of the ordinary working class folk tag.
    Surely Hyacinth was the opposite - aspiring/pretending to be upper/middle class?
  • Options
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Andrew said:

You have one chance to be honest.
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Andrew said:

I can smell a legal action that will end up costing just about everybody but the lawyers.......
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,372
    HYUFD said:

Bolton appointment may at least be good news for May in toughening up the Trump administration stance on Putin and Russia
    https://twitter.com/AmbJohnBolton/status/976174256232026112
    https://twitter.com/AmbJohnBolton/status/975848956507971585

Unlikely. That sort of talk appears to be one of the reasons Tillerson was sacked.

Bolton was picked because he agrees with Trump's instincts on attacking Iran and North Korea. Trump's craves yes men (which is not exactly a ideal qualification for nation security advisors...), and if Bolton doesn't comply, he won't last long.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Andrew said:

What about the £500 million being taken out of the British economy and injected into the French? What about French protectionism: that their passports must be made in France so our companies cannot compete? This is the same trick the Americans pull: use spurious national security concerns to build up home industries then send them out to conquer the world's markets.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,372
    rkrkrk said:

Pulpstar said:

I can't imagine Bolton and Trump lasting long given their different positions.
    But what is the relevance to Trump making it to a second term?
    It is perhaps relevant to all of us surviving long enough for him to contest the next presidential election...

There's a good article on the implications for how the showdown with a north Korea might be managed:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2018/03/mcmaster-trump-north-korea/555752/
  • Options

Andrew said:

On the one hand, you've got the extreme free trade, chlorinated chicken and Euro-passport crowd. On the other, the trade deficit hawks and take back control alliance. It is hard to call and some are beginning to suspect the government's position is even less coherent than Labour's, which is a shame because Labour's really does not matter whereas the government is responsible for steering us to the post-Brexit sunlit uplands.
    Yes, the passport fracas is a weathervane as to whether the free traders or the economic protectionists are driving the bus, that is its significance.

This discussion has been closed.