Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The September ICM telephone poll sees almost no change

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited September 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The September ICM telephone poll sees almost no change

On a positive note for the blues 40% backed the Tories for economic competence compared with 28% in June. LAB saw increase in credibility to 24% from 19% over same period

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Not too bad
  • Options
    Does suggest the last poll was not a rogue.

A 4pt lead at this point is not great for Labour. On the other hand, they're ahead despite having Ed Miliband as leader.
  • Options
    Rachel Sylvester in the Times says Clegg is the Heir to Blair
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280
    Just when I thought England were going to make a somewhat improbable fight of it. But Buttler has had a truly excellent series.
  • Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    Morris

We are dominating in the marginals. Simply because that is where our superior ground game is taking the Tories apart.

• Options
    DavidL said:

Just when I thought England were going to make a somewhat improbable fight of it. But Buttler has had a truly excellent series.

We've found the long term replacement for Prior
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    edited September 2013
    tim said:

No change over the summer,July was an outlier

Going forward we are paying down debt

You are gonna get smashed in the throat too!

On another matter, the treachery of Vince.

Of course, he is unsackable, so he can do what he wants. But, wouldn't it be wiser for him to expose the Tories to their right flank (as Blair always did superbly) rather than accuse them of being 'nasty' on immigration etc?

I think he would have far more impact winding up the right wing crazies and sending them toward UKIP.

• Options
    Are YouGov likely to release tables for their EU Parliament poll?

twitter.com/YouGovCam/status/378454377855737856

There's nothing on their Cambridge website

http://cambridge.yougov.com

or the YouGov politics page.

http://yougov.co.uk/news/categories/politics/
  • Options

It's not a poll

It's a prediction by Peter Kellner.
  • Options

Rachel Sylvester in the Times says Clegg is the Heir to Blair

With his figure? Surely not. Heir to Brown is a much better fit.
  • Options

DavidL said:

We've found the long term replacement for Prior
    Yep. Ravi was making a serious last minute bid to get on the plane too. England could do worse for a number 6 batsman.

All over now though.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    All sides happy with it, seemingly! Without the Spiral of Shame, presumably a 7-pointish lead. Another no change result, basically: 20 months to go, tick tock.

Having a pleasant time at the LibDem conference and enjoyed seeing Mike. It's relatively low-key, to be honest - as Mike observes, there's little if any anti-Clegg feeling and I think people have adopted a certain fatalism about 2015 - they'll do their darnedest in their seats, not worry too much about the rest, and throw the dice.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    'I've been absolutely determined to get that money back for taxpayers and pay down debt, that is what we've started to do today'

The government has started to get that back for taxpayers and use it to pay down debt. Nothing incorrect about that.
  • Options

It's not a poll

? So these numbers were plucked out the air?
  • Options

It's not a poll

? So these numbers were plucked out the air?
    I think it was more of an informed guess by the President of YouGov.
  • Options
    tim said:

Grandiose said:

'I've been absolutely determined to get that money back for taxpayers and pay down debt, that is what we've started to do today'

The government has started to get that back for taxpayers and use it to pay down debt. Nothing incorrect about that.

Debt is rising.
    Yes, tim, but that doesn't make the statement incorrect.
  • Options
    Not entirely sure I get the references to Osborne but presumably this relates to the 6% of Lloyds he is planning to sell. If so "paying down the debt" on selling an asset and using the proceeds to reduce borrowing does not strike me as an excessive misuse of the term, albeit it would make a lot more sense if we were not borrowing nearly £9bn a month. And I can say that with some confidence because I am in Scotland and presumably safe from Mr Fenster.

I totally agree that politicians of any stripe who talk of paying down the debt when they simply mean reducing the deficit should be taken out and shot. But selling assets is a little different.
  • Options
    tim said:

Grandiose said:

tim said:

Grandiose said:

Debt is rising.
    Yes it does
    If Osborne borrows £116bn rather than £120bn this year by how much more has he paid down debt?

£0

You want to aggregate it into the deficit? Bold.
  • Options
    The analogy is cashing in a life policy. If I cash that in and pay down my mortgage is that a misdescription? I don't think so, even if I have an increasing overdraft at the same time.
  • Options
    tim said:

Grandiose said:

tim said:

Grandiose said:

tim said:

Grandiose said:

Debt is rising.
    Yes it does
    If Osborne borrows £116bn rather than £120bn this year by how much more has he paid down debt?

£0

I'm not doing anything except pointing out that Osborne is either

1.An economic illiterate

Or, more likely

2.Thinks he is being clever politically by giving the impression he's reducing debt
    Either you let Osborne come out and use the bank sale to ameliorate the deficit, which makes no sense at all, or you exclude it and have it paying down the debts (bearing in mind that the interest on government debt is an ordinary expense and comes within the deficit). Much less misleading the second way. Indeed if Osborne tries to card some sort of profit against the deficit, I'll be suitably sceptical.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    FPT @Fenster

Agreed.

"Pay down debt" makes me want to punch him in the throat. No matter how much regard I have for him.

It's up there with "fell pregnant".

And that phrase "going forward". Argghhhh. Richard Keys said it every twelve seconds on Talksport. When I see him I'm punching him in the throat too.

There is nothing unusual about using the term pay down rather than pay off debt. The first suggest a partial elimination and the latter a total, but they are generally interchangeable.

And the sale of shares in Lloyds Bank Group wil pay off/down debt as the cash borrowed to finance the purchase of the shares is classified as government debt, albeit hidden by Gordon and ONS in the PSND aggregate figures rather than the more often discussed subset figures PSND ex[cluding financial interventions].

Deficit is defined in so many different ways that it is difficult to say what impact the share shares will have on it.

The bank shares held by the government are periodically revalued in the National Accounts to reflect changes in their market value (they are 'marked to market'). When share prices fell below the prices at which they were purchased a provision was created in the accounts for a loss (if sold at current market prices). Such provisions increase government expenses and thereby make the difference between total revenues and total exoenditure larger, i.e. they increase the annual 'deficit'.

So the impact of selling shares at a price above book value will release any provision held in the accounts for a loss on sale: it will now count as revenue. But don't expect a massive figure here: the accounts should already have near adjusted to the current market price. Also any profit made on the sale will be treated as revenue (or more correctly net profit as net revenue). So the sale of shares at current market prices (if sold at current prices, a big if) would result in a reduction in the deficit.

And because the sale of shares ends the temporary intervention (for that part of the shares held) the impact of the transaction will be entered into the subset figures, eg PSND[B] ex rather than just PSND[B}.

So if Osborne has sold at above purchase price, he will have both paid off/down the debt and reduced the deficit as a result of the transaction. There may also be a whole range of guarantee and fee transactions associated with the shares that also get resolved at the same time.

'Going forward' that is!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    tim said:

Grandiose said:

Debt is rising.
    It is not.

And will be demonstrably falling after the Lloyds share sales are booked.
  • Options
    tim said:

@kiranstacey: EXC: Clegg also worried about Help to Buy. This policy in real danger now. http://t.co/qY872SShmr

Perhaps the enemy within can be stopped

Thanks for that link! You learn something every day.

'Labour supports Help to Buy, but warns that the government is not doing enough to boost housebuilding. Pat McFadden, a Labour member of the Treasury select committee, said Britain had a two-speed housing market with London’s boom not replicated elsewhere in the country.'

What? Labour supports it? I'm staggered. Why? Isn't this now the only conceivable chink in Osborne's armour?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Grandiose said:

tim said:

Grandiose said:

tim said:

Grandiose said:

tim said:

Grandiose said:

Debt is rising.
    Yes it does

£0

I'm not doing anything except pointing out that Osborne is either

1.An economic illiterate

Or, more likely

2.Thinks he is being clever politically by giving the impression he's reducing debt
    Either you let Osborne come out and use the bank sale to ameliorate the deficit, which makes no sense at all, or you exclude it and have it paying down the debts (bearing in mind that the interest on government debt is an ordinary expense and comes within the deficit). Much less misleading the second way. Indeed if Osborne tries to card some sort of profit against the deficit, I'll be suitably sceptical.
    If by deficit you mean the "Cyclically Adjusted Current Budget" then, as this only includes recurring items of expense and revenue, the sale of the bank shares will not affect it.

But the share sales will affect all of PSND, PSND ex, PSNB, PSNB ex and the equivalent cash accounts.

The media tend to use PSNB ex as their measure of 'deficit' (incorrectly in my view, CACB is the better measure), so the bank share sales will affect the 'deficit' for the reasons set out in my post downthread.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    tim on economics. How can the Nobel Prize Committee keep cruelly overlooking him?
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

FPT @Fenster
    The bank shares held by the government are periodically revalued in the National Accounts to reflect changes in their market value (they are 'marked to market'). When share prices fell below the prices at which they were purchased a provision was created in the accounts for a loss (if sold at current market prices). Such provisions increase government expenses and thereby make the difference between total revenues and total exoenditure larger, i.e. they increase the annual 'deficit'.

So the impact of selling shares at a price above book value will release any provision held in the accounts for a loss on sale: it will now count as revenue. But don't expect a massive figure here: the accounts should already have near adjusted to the current market price. Also any profit made on the sale will be treated as revenue (or more correctly net profit as net revenue). So the sale of shares at current market prices (if sold at current prices, a big if) would result in a reduction in the deficit.

And because the sale of shares ends the temporary intervention (for that part of the shares held) the impact of the transaction will be entered into the subset figures, eg PSND[B] ex rather than just PSND[B}.

So if Osborne has sold at above purchase price, he will have both paid off/down the debt and reduced the deficit as a result of the transaction. There may also be a whole range of guarantee and fee transactions associated with the shares that also get resolved at the same time.

'Going forward' that is!

This is complicated by the fact that because the Treasury paid more than the market price of the shares when they declared their intervention, that loss was immediately moved off the share account and into another (general?) account. Makes quite a big difference; market price being 10p/share less IIRC.

• Options
    Balls and Osborne can't both be wrong. If Labour and the Tories are both advocates of Help to Buy then the scheme's got to be a flyer!
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

tim on economics. How can the Nobel Prize Committee keep cruelly overlooking him?

I dont think they could give the prize to someone with such controversial views on disability benefits. It's not a real Nobel prize anyway so he's not missing out.

• Options
    Douglas Carswell in the Telegraph:

"wind farms look like they be harvesting subsidies for a generation to come. Far from progressive, they seem to be about rent seeking. And what could be more atavistic than that?

Through every age, a tiny parasitical elite seeks to game the system to transfer wealth from the many to the few. The more I think about it, the more the renewable energy scam seems just a contemporary manifestation of this ancient, hideous idea."

While completely true am I the only one amused by the irony of a public school Conservative opposing the wealth stealing of the parasites at the top while Labour and the LibDems support it ?

Carswell, it should be noted, while a publicschoolboy did not do PPE at Oxford or go to Oxbridge at all.

• Options
    Grandiose said:

AveryLP said:

FPT @Fenster

'Going forward' that is!

This is complicated by the fact that because the Treasury paid more than the market price of the shares when they declared their intervention, that loss was immediately moved off the share account and into another (general?) account. Makes quite a big difference; market price being 10p/share less IIRC.

As I understand it (which is not in very great detail!) the difference between the market price of the shares at the time the government bought them and the price actually paid was covered by banks paying the government for insurance against losses on specified [bank] assets.

Hence the £0.61 pence per share break-even price stated by the Treasury is net of the insurance/guarantee fees which have already been resolved in the accounts.

• Options
    tim said:

Still distracted laughing at your 2010 polling predictions I'd imagine

Yep, my prediction that Cameron would be PM.

How is Chris Huhne - still a Cabinet Minister? lol....

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Well, they do some really stupid things... I mean Obama getting the Peace prize for example.

Nearly as insane as making Tony Blair middle East peace envoy or horror of horrors... Gordon Brown PM
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    tim said:

An economic illiterate

You're coming to the point when you are a more apt recipient of that label than GO. You know perfectly well that the debt position is being improved by the current government. Overall absolute debt levels are clearly lower than they would have been under Labour, and the deficit levels are too. Whether this is the right path, and whether in say 2020 the current path will lead to lower overall debt levels is clearly unknowable. It's entirely possible that Labour policies may have lead to a better picture there. I personally don't believe that they would, but I certainly wouldn't state that they unequivocally wouldn't.

Anyway I urge you not to get carried away by your political enthusiasm for Labour to such an extent that you deny even the weakest of claims to fame by others.

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610
    4% Labour lead now = hung parliament in May 2015 IMO.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

4% Labour lead now = hung parliament in May 2015 IMO.

4% Labour lead now = Ed Miliband will never be Prime Minister.

9 quarters of growth will be the backdrop of the next election. Labour - why would you?

• Options
    ICM/The Sunil:

COA 46%
    LAB 36%
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    AveryLP said:

As I understand it (which is not in very great detail!) the difference between the market price of the shares at the time the government bought them and the price actually paid was covered by banks paying the government for insurance against losses on specified [bank] assets.

Hence the £0.61 pence per share break-even price stated by the Treasury is net of the insurance/guarantee fees which have already been resolved in the accounts.

Certainly there was a profit made on the Asset Protection Scheme. I wrote this a while back:
    It makes sense, then, to identify as a starting point the share prices of RBS and Lloyds that would represent a ‘break even’ point for the government. UK Financial Investments (UKFI), the organisation responsible for managing the government’s stake, puts that price at 73.6p for Lloyds and 502p for RBS. However, Policy Exchange ‘prices in’ the banks’ contribution to the Treasury’s Asset Protection Scheme to reduce the break even point to Lloyds to 51p and 360p for RBS. Adopting Policy Exchange’s valuations would be deeply optimistic, however: the Asset Protection Scheme represented a separate, if complementary, attempt to sure up the banks against exceptional losses. The banks did not draw on the facility and bought themselves out of it. Launched five months after the bailouts and now closed – only RBS ever joined; Lloyds paid in without ever joining – the scheme’s inclusion into share valuing is strange.

At the time of the bailout £13.8bn of the bailout was already accounted for as an “irreversible” loss for the purposes of the government accounts, compared to £55.1bn regarded as merely “temporary”. To reverse only the latter losses would be defensible and it is, as others have noted, this figure that George Osborne will be most concerned with; it amounts to 61p for Lloyds and 410p for RBS.
  • Options

"wind farms look like they be harvesting subsidies for a generation to come. Far from progressive, they seem to be about rent seeking. And what could be more atavistic than that?

Through every age, a tiny parasitical elite seeks to game the system to transfer wealth from the many to the few. The more I think about it, the more the renewable energy scam seems just a contemporary manifestation of this ancient, hideous idea."

While completely true am I the only one amused by the irony of a public school Conservative opposing the wealth stealing of the parasites at the top while Labour and the LibDems support it ?

Carswell, it should be noted, while a publicschoolboy did not do PPE at Oxford or go to Oxbridge at all.

Pretty dismal standards of English in that quote.

I suspect that there are quite a few people that have lost their shirts in the wind-power industry. Many have unfortunately been the simple employees with companies like Vesta, but I'm sure that there have been investors too. Where there's risk there should also be the chance of reward, so it doesn't seem unreasonable that large returns can be made in the industry. If though those returns are simply being generated by subsidies then that's worrying.

The 'tiny parasitical elite' thing could be said of any system where large risks produce winners and losers.

• Options
    Omnium said:

Pretty dismal standards of English in that quote.

I suspect that there are quite a few people that have lost their shirts in the wind-power industry. Many have unfortunately been the simple employees with companies like Vesta, but I'm sure that there have been investors too. Where there's risk there should also be the chance of reward, so it doesn't seem unreasonable that large returns can be made in the industry. If though those returns are simply being generated by subsidies then that's worrying.

The 'tiny parasitical elite' thing could be said of any system where large risks produce winners and losers.

I suspect Carswell regards the 'tiny parasitical elite' as those landowners who are receiving subsidies for installing windmills on their lands.

I'm not sure what 'large risks' you think they are running.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    J R-Mogg says "being attacked by Cable is like being nibbled by a geriatric mole"
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

All sides happy with it, seemingly! Without the Spiral of Shame, presumably a 7-pointish lead. Another no change result, basically: 20 months to go, tick tock.

Having a pleasant time at the LibDem conference and enjoyed seeing Mike. It's relatively low-key, to be honest - as Mike observes, there's little if any anti-Clegg feeling and I think people have adopted a certain fatalism about 2015 - they'll do their darnedest in their seats, not worry too much about the rest, and throw the dice.

O/T should be a PM but sceptical people look at them

@NickPalmer

could you/someone you know do a quick turn around on a translation: 70 page document on vaccines English into German? Rough cut fine, but speed of the essence?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    @tim

For the avoidance of doubt and to further reconciliation of any remaining conflict of opinion, here are the latest Fiscal Indicators on debt and borrowing published by the ONS.

You will note that in every published measure, bar one, debt and borrowing has fallen under Osborne over the course of this parliament.

The only measure which hasn't fallen is the 'pluperfect subjective' measure: what borrowing would have been, had a whole number of events not taken place (transfer of Royal Mail pension scheme assets, cash transfers from the BoE, resolution of the Asset Purchase Facility, George's first class journey to Tatton on the 10.31 train, the Olympics Opening ceremony, Auntie Joan's birthday etc).

All the other metrics measure real balances.

Take a look and weep.
    Table PSF9: ONS Public Finances Bulletin July 2013              
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Long Run of Fiscal Indicators as a percentage of GDP
    PSCB PSNB PSNB PSND | PSCB PSNB PSND
    excl. financial interventions |
    & RM |
    APF |
    2009/10 −7.59 10.97 10.97 56.4 | −5.95 8.98 151.7
    2010/11 −6.69 9.27 9.27 65.9 | −4.94 7.50 147.2
    2011/12 −5.82 7.67 7.67 71.1 | −4.00 5.89 139.3
    2012/13 −5.58 5.23 7.43 74.2 | −4.52 4.18 137.6

PSCB = Public Sector Current Budget
    PSNB = Public Sector Net Borrowing
    PSND = Public Sector Net Debt
    RM = Royal Mail Pension Assets
    APF = Asset Purchase Facility
  • Options

I'm not sure what 'large risks' you think they are running.

If they aren't running large risks then they certainly shouldn't be the recipients of taxpayer subsidised large returns.

My general view is that the government should try to be uninvolved in anything that it can possibly be so.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

You will note that in every published measure, bar one, debt and borrowing has fallen under Osborne over the course of this parliament.

Nobody is denying that annual public sector borrowing has reduced, albeit to a still enormous level.

What is concerning is that Osborne's strategy to reduce it to a sustainable level involves restarting household borrowing.

As to debt you are of course well aware that the 'bar one' measure is the one that actually matters.

And arguing about economic senantics isn't going to change that.

Instead all it does is give a mistaken impression that "we are paying down Britain's debts" and thus make if psychologically much harder for the country to adapt when we really do have to start living within our means.

• Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Twitter
    John Rentoul ‏@JohnRentoul 15m
    Cameron has a policy on Europe – what about Clegg and Miliband?: Nick Clegg and Ed Miliband have delicate judg... http://ind.pn/18qg3rn
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I like Douglas Carswell but he's wrong on wind farms. IMO we need as diverse a range of energy sources as possible.

In Australia, counting has got underway again:

http://vtr.aec.gov.au/HouseUpdatedByDivision-17496-NAT.htm
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/10304631/Named-the-councils-which-send-children-to-far-flung-care-homes.html

"A series of reports ordered in the wake of the Rochdale sexual exploitation scandal highlighted how children send far from their familiar support networks of family and friends could be more vulnerable to grooming rings."

It's also partly because the children's homes tend to be set up in areas of cheap housing. As a lot of the demand for ultra-cheap prostitution comes from people working in the illegal economy who are also warehoused in those same areas of cheap housing the British state was/is effectively supplying the grooming gangs with fresh victims.
  • Options
    edited September 2013

AveryLP said:

Nobody is denying that annual public sector borrowing has reduced, albeit to a still enormous level.

What is concerning is that Osborne's strategy to reduce it to a sustainable level involves restarting household borrowing.

As to debt you are of course well aware that the 'bar one' measure is the one that actually matters.

And arguing about economic senantics isn't going to change that.

Instead all it does is give a mistaken impression that "we are paying down Britain's debts" and thus make if psychologically much harder for the country to adapt when we really do have to start living within our means.

Our differences are narrowing, ar!

The two important statistics are:

1. The Cyclically Adjusted Current Budget which is not directly reported by the ONS but is left to the OBR to calculate.

It is the annual measure of current revenue less current expenditure excluding capex and non-recurring items. It is adjusted to take into account the cyclical effects of 'boom' and 'bust', So when the CACB balances it should be in a period of neither boom nor bust; with surpluses registered over the upper cycle and deficits during the lower cycle.

The CACB forms the target of the Primary Fiscal Mandate and bringing it into balance is constantly targetted to be within a five year rolling period Current OBR forecast is a balance date of 2017 though this is likely to move back to 2016 in the next EFO due to higher growth than forecast this year. If this was properly reported then we wouldn't need to mess around with the 'pluperfect subjunctive' irrelevance.

2. The amount of fiscal consolidation (tax rises and expenditure cuts) needed for the economy to pay down its debt to a proportion of 60% of GDP by 2030.

This is a measure published by the OECD and indicates where its member countries are in the pursuit of EU and international debt reduction goals.

The last figure I saw quoted for the UK was that current plans (to 2015) represent about 40% of fiscal consolidation required to meet the 2030 target. This is the best measure I have yet seen for answering the question "how long will austerity need to last?".
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

AveryLP said:

As I understand it (which is not in very great detail!)....

Certainly there was a profit made on the Asset Protection Scheme. I wrote this a while back:
    It makes sense, then, to identify as a starting point the share prices of RBS and Lloyds that would represent a ‘break even’ point for the government. UK Financial Investments (UKFI), the organisation responsible for managing the government’s stake, puts that price at 73.6p for Lloyds and 502p for RBS. However, Policy Exchange ‘prices in’ the banks’ contribution to the Treasury’s Asset Protection Scheme to reduce the break even point to Lloyds to 51p and 360p for RBS. Adopting Policy Exchange’s valuations would be deeply optimistic, however: the Asset Protection Scheme represented a separate, if complementary, attempt to sure up the banks against exceptional losses. The banks did not draw on the facility and bought themselves out of it. Launched five months after the bailouts and now closed – only RBS ever joined; Lloyds paid in without ever joining – the scheme’s inclusion into share valuing is strange.

At the time of the bailout £13.8bn of the bailout was already accounted for as an “irreversible” loss for the purposes of the government accounts, compared to £55.1bn regarded as merely “temporary”. To reverse only the latter losses would be defensible and it is, as others have noted, this figure that George Osborne will be most concerned with; it amounts to 61p for Lloyds and 410p for RBS.
    Yup, this is the key to reconciling the breakeven price of £0.61 (Treasury estimate) to the book value of the share holdings.

• Options
    O/T - This story is a couple of years old, but Christ, it makes me proud to be British

British Spies Replace Terrorists' Online Bomb Instructions With Cupcake Recipe

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/03/british-spies-terrorist-bomb-cupcake-recipe_n_870882.html
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited September 2013
    Sky: Seattle police say DC gunman claimed to have been present at and traumatized by 9/11, and had "anger management" issues ever since, shooting out someone's tyres in 2004, after he was "disrespected"...
  • Options
    Sky: gunshots in the vicinity of the White House...
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited September 2013
    Shirley-Anne Somerville chosen by SNP for Dunfermline by-election.

She was a Lothians regional MSP between 2007 and 2011. In 2011 she stood in Edinburgh North and finished 595 votes from the win...her problem was that SNP won all other FPTP constituencies and so they didn't get any list seat.
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited September 2013
    Unusual to see tim making such an unmitigated fool of himself as he has tonight. Like any asset sale, the Lloyds sale reduces (or 'pays down', in the patois) the national debt. Nothing whatsoever to do with the ongoing deficit (although tim is also wrong on that).
  • Options
    Charles said:

O/T should be a PM but sceptical people look at them

@NickPalmer

could you/someone you know do a quick turn around on a translation: 70 page document on vaccines English into German? Rough cut fine, but speed of the essence?

Yes, Walk-In Translations are fast and in my experience good for English to German (I only do work into English). I've emailed you details.

• Options
    Sky: Agents tell bystanders to go inside White House after shots heard...
  • Options
    Sky News: reports of shots being heard near White House.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I like Douglas Carswell but he's wrong on wind farms. IMO we need as diverse a range of energy sources as possible.

Our energy sources are becoming less diverse through government policy.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

The last figure I saw quoted for the UK was that current plans (to 2015) represent about 40% of fiscal consolidation required to meet the 2030 target. This is the best measure I have yet seen for answering the question "how long will austerity need to last?".

By 2030 we're likely to have had at least two more recessions which I suspect will rather demolish that target.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Sky: "firecrackers" thrown over White House fence; no shots fired...

Man detained...
  • Options

AveryLP said:

By 2030 we're likely to have had at least two more recessions which I suspect will rather demolish that target.

Yes it is a woolly target insofar as we cannot predict 'events' which might unexpectedly affect the global economy over such a timescale.

And it is a measure which can accommodate all kinds of plans. For example, an economist could calculate how much above trend growth would be needed over the period to avoid having to increase taxes and/or cut expenditure.

But at least it attempts to quantify the task ahead so that some proper consideration can be given by our political leaders to how the debt might be reduced to acceptable limits.

• Options
    I'm baffled by Nick's confidence in a small Labour majority given recent polls. On average Labour are ahead by 5% at the moment. If that slips to 2-3% the chances of a majority starts to fade.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    SeanT's latest blog post:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/seanthomas/100236042/victoria-coren-is-so-right-about-not-banning-the-muslim-burkha-now-lets-allow-slaves-to-wear-their-chains/

"Ban Muslim women from wearing the veil? Victoria Coren is *so* right to protest. Now let's allow slaves to wear their chains… "
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I'm baffled by Nick's confidence in a small Labour majority given recent polls. On average Labour are ahead by 5% at the moment. If that slips to 2-3% the chances of a majority starts to fade.

I'm confident that Labour will be the largest party, because I think that the 2010 LibDem switchers are solid and the willingness to vote among 2010 Labour supporters is at least as high as 2010 Tories. If the Tories lose some to UKIP that's a bonus.

I think that expectations are distorted by the usual pattern of the Opposition attracting and then losing a bunch of votes from the main governing party. In this case, as Mike noted the other day, we haven't really gained any so can't lose them again; that's why the Labour figure is so stable.

That said, I should like to see how the conferences go.

Sean's blog was widely discussed on the last thread - even his fans felt it wasn't one of his better efforts, as it's in-groupy bickering between columnists. (Anyway, anyone who criticises Victoria Coren is evil.)

• Options
    Grandiose said:

Loss 1: taxpayer buying worthless shares for far more than they were worth
    Loss 2: taxpayer paying to make those worthless shares worth something again through ZIRP, QE and all the other economic policies designed to pay off the banksta's gambling debts
    Loss 3: taxpayer will eventually pay for a sweetener to ensure success of a future flotation

The taxpayer will only ever get back part of loss 2.
  • Options

Shirley-Anne Somerville chosen by SNP for Dunfermline by-election.

She was a Lothians regional MSP between 2007 and 2011. In 2011 she stood in Edinburgh North and finished 595 votes from the win...her problem was that SNP won all other FPTP constituencies and so they didn't get any list seat.

If, as is being claimed on twittersphere, BBC researchers asked "NO" supporters to accuse SNP of being racist on BBC 5 Live indy debate then the issue will mushroom and grow.
    To ask people to specifically accuse others of racism would be a reason for serious action to be taken.
    I accept it needs to be proved, but sources are people on the "NO" side.
    I would add Derbyshire was a star and could teach others a thing or two in holding a room together and getting questions at least half answered by all sides.

• Options
    The State (Treasury and B of E) has already profited from LloydsTSB/HBOS and RBS by making loans to them at a good interest margin and charging billions for guarantees. If the Treasury also seels the shares in Lloyds and RBS at a profit then it will make a substantial profit overall. Well done Alastair Darling.
  • Options
    "I'm confident that Labour will be the largest party, because I think that the 2010 LibDem switchers are solid and the willingness to vote among 2010 Labour supporters is at least as high as 2010 Tories. If the Tories lose some to UKIP that's a bonus" Nick Palmer

Plus the fact that the boundaries favour Labour now they will not be revised.
  • Options

"I'm confident that Labour will be the largest party, because I think that the 2010 LibDem switchers are solid and the willingness to vote among 2010 Labour supporters is at least as high as 2010 Tories. If the Tories lose some to UKIP that's a bonus" Nick Palmer

An interesting question is whether the pro-Labour bias in the system that has existed since 1992 will continue. It peaked in 2001, and has fallen sharply at the two subsequent elections...
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @RodCrosby

' It peaked in 2001, and has fallen sharply at the two subsequent elections...'

How are you calculating that?

• Options

"An interesting question is whether the pro-Labour bias in the system that has existed since 1992 will continue. It peaked in 2001, and has fallen sharply at the two subsequent elections..." Rod Crosby

So did the Conservatives waste a lot of time and energy trying (but failing) to get the boudaries revised by equalising the constituency electorates?
  • Options
    If I had to stake money on it I'd go for a Lab/LD coalition with either Cable or Farron as deputy PM. Labour with the most seats certainly, but popular vote very close.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    A must read article on understanding why young Scots have flummoxed the SNP by proving to be amongst the most anti Independence.
    Scotsman - Peter Jones: Young are not ripe for revolution

I was chatting to a young student who is very active in the SNP at the weekend about the recent polling which showed this age group overwhelmingly against Independence. They were quite down beat about those undecided, thought that they would default to voting no if they remain unconvinced.
  • Options
    Costa Concordia almost upright again...
  • Options
    fitalass said:

A must read article on understanding why young Scots have flummoxed the SNP by proving to be amongst the most anti Independence.
    Scotsman - Peter Jones: Young are not ripe for revolution

I was chatting to a young student who is very active in the SNP at the weekend about the recent polling which showed this age group overwhelmingly against Independence. They were quite down beat about those undecided, thought that they would default to voting no if they remain unconvinced.

I think the education argument will become an issue for under 18's; students do not want loans around their necks. Needs to be articulated more.
  • Options

The State (Treasury and B of E) has already profited from LloydsTSB/HBOS and RBS by making loans to them at a good interest margin and charging billions for guarantees. If the Treasury also seels the shares in Lloyds and RBS at a profit then it will make a substantial profit overall. Well done Alastair Darling.

The state might. The public won't.

Some of the losses that won't be included in the official tally
    1) ZIRP is for the banks - savers take the loss
    2) All the costs of the (currently) diluted deflationary spiral caused both by the banks going bust initially and not having a fully functioning banking system since
    3) The losses from the BoE buying bank assets at mark-to-unicorn rather than mark-to-market prices will only be counted when their unicorn value is quietly marked down to their real value some time after the banks are refloated

Lots of ways the public have paid and will pay for bailing out the banksta's gambling debts that won't be listed on the final tally of the nationalized banks.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/seanthomas/100236042/victoria-coren-is-so-right-about-not-banning-the-muslim-burkha-now-lets-allow-slaves-to-wear-their-chains/

"Ban Muslim women from wearing the veil? Victoria Coren is *so* right to protest. Now let's allow slaves to wear their chains… "

Now he doesn't have to talk about Ed all the time, Dan Hodges is surprisingly bang-on.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/author/danhodges/

"The debate about Muslim women wearing veils is not complex. This is Britain, and in Britain you can wear what you want"
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Now he doesn't have to talk about Ed all the time, Dan Hodges is surprisingly bang-on.

"The debate about Muslim women wearing veils is not complex. This is Britain, and in Britain you can wear what you want"
    No you can't.
  • Options
    MrJones said:

Andy_JS said:

No you can't.
    (edit not working for some reason)

His argument is nonsense. There are hundreds of different areas where rules are attached to specific clothing e.g. motor-bike helmets, jewelry wearing, nudity etc. Hundreds.

It's perfectly well accepted and judged on a *case by case* basis of whether the infringement on liberty is reasonable or not.

Only multicult fanatics thinks it's reasonable for an accused or witness in a court case to have their face covered so they resort to this nonsense libertarian argument which they don't really believe as can be proven within seconds by pointing out clothing bans they'd agree with e.g. nude primary school teachers.
  • Options
    MrJones said:

MrJones said:

Andy_JS said:

No you can't.
    (edit not working for some reason)

His argument is nonsense. There are hundreds of different areas where rules are attached to specific clothing e.g. motor-bike helmets, jewelry wearing, nudity etc. Hundreds.

It's perfectly well accepted and judged on a *case by case* basis of whether the infringement on liberty is reasonable or not.

Only multicult fanatics thinks it's reasonable for an accused or witness in a court case to have their face covered so they resort to this nonsense libertarian argument which they don't really believe as can be proven within seconds by pointing out clothing bans they'd agree with e.g. nude primary school teachers.
    I'm not sure there's an actual disagreement of principle here. I think most people agree you can wear what you like, with specific practical exceptions.

The issue here is whether there needs to be a practical exception that you have to show your face in court. That's a question about how courts make decisions, not a question of principle about the veil. Different courts seem to have come up with various different conclusions about that. Apparently this is also true of Islamic courts, with some saying they need to see your face and others saying they don't.

If you read the judgement in this case it's quite a good summary, although in practical terms he ends up with what seems like the worst of both worlds, which is that the suspect has to show her face, but only if she gives evidence, which she doesn't have to do.
  • Options

I'm not sure there's an actual disagreement of principle here. I think most people agree you can wear what you like, with specific practical exceptions.

The issue here is whether there needs to be a practical exception that you have to show your face in court. That's a question about how courts make decisions, not a question of principle about the veil. Different courts seem to have come up with various different conclusions about that. Apparently this is also true of Islamic courts, with some saying they need to see your face and others saying they don't.

If you read the judgement in this case it's quite a good summary, although in practical terms he ends up with what seems like the worst of both worlds, which is that the suspect has to show her face, but only if she gives evidence, which she doesn't have to do.

There are two different discussions. One is the court case, as you say. The other is the "national debate" desired by jeremy browne, seant and others who seem to want more widespread restrictions on veil wearing/face covering, which was the subject of D.hodges blog.
  • Options
    Labour lead +3

http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/document/lh565p7nyg/YG-Archive-Pol-Sun-results-160913.pdf

Sentiment moving in favour of EU:
    vote today:
    Stay: 39 (+5)
    Leave: 42 (-4)

After Cameron renegotiation:
    Stay: 50 (+2)
    Leave: 29 (-2)

• Options
    YouGov Labour lead, September to date (9 polls) +5.1 (-0,7 vs August)
  • Options
    MrJones said:

Grandiose said:

Loss 1: taxpayer buying worthless shares for far more than they were worth
    Loss 2: taxpayer paying to make those worthless shares worth something again through ZIRP, QE and all the other economic policies designed to pay off the banksta's gambling debts
    Loss 3: taxpayer will eventually pay for a sweetener to ensure success of a future flotation

The taxpayer will only ever get back part of loss 2.
    You forgot:Loss 4: funding a annual supply of tin foil hats for MrJones
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    tim said:

Richard Nabavi

If you sell your car and pay off a£4k car loan while increasing your overdraft by £120k by how much has your debt increased?
    Have you paid it down or increased it?

You have paid down your car loan. And borrowed other money elsewhere.

It is possible to pay down debt while simultaneously increasing borrowing.
  • Options
    What is the average Labour vote share with YG month on month - do we have figures for that? It would be interesting to see how that has performed in comparison to the lead.
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited September 2013
    Wee-Timmy,

We have an asset that can reduce further borrowings: Being rational we [sic, the UK government] chose to sell that asset (as opposed to borrowing on ChinaExpress and paying them interest).

Maths may not be your skill: Paying X now to fund liabilities must be useful if, by funding X, we might incur a cash-bleed of 1x + y over future periods. You could, if you were an economist, argue that there is an opportunity-cost to factor into the sales (and subsequent income-streams thereof): You are not an economist....
  • Options
    Another soaraway poll for Labour...doing very well...
  • Options
    tim said:

"It is possible to pay down debt while simultaneously increasing debt"

George Osborne, David Cameron.

"David Cameron given a lecture on 'debt' and 'deficit' by top statistics official"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9842553/David-Cameron-given-a-lecture-on-debt-and-deficit-by-top-statistics-official.html

Stupid politics by the Tories this, they're leaving their supporters with the impression that they are reducing debt.

There is a difference between the specific and the general.

You may disagree with Osborne and Cameron, but I doubt they are stupid
  • Options

What is the average Labour vote share with YG month on month - do we have figures for that? It would be interesting to see how that has performed in comparison to the lead.

Do you intend to reply to my posting of a couple of nights ago?

You explained how you hated the Tories, but I think it was based on a stereotype of what most Tories believe in
  • Options
    tim said:

"Imagine the British government under David
    Cameron renegotiated our relationship with
    Europe and said that Britain's interests were
    now protected, and David Cameron
    recommended that Britain remain a member of
    the European Union on the new terms."

"Imagine the British government under David
    Cameron carried out imaginary renegotiations on our relationship with
    Europe and said that Britain's interests were
    now protected, and David Cameron
    recommended that Britain remain a member of
    the European Union on the new terms."

It's actually worse than that. It's more like, "Imagine the British government under David Cameron said he was going to renegotiate our relationship with Europe, then instead came up with some joint proposals with other European governments to reduce social protection for workers, which UKIP and half the Conservative party denounced as pathetic, and everybody on left said was an outrageous assault on working people. But David Cameron recommended that Britain remain a member of the European Union on these new terms.

Stay: 30
    Leave: 40
    Would say stay, but I'm not going out and voting for this stupid shit: 30
  • Options
    What will be the subject for the "Look Rabbit" meme today....all suggestions wlecome
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Costa Concordia almost upright again...

Time-lapse here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24119836

It's been quite an amazing recovery job. Well done to everyone involved for their work so far, although there's still a long way to go.

As expected, it looks as though the side resting on the rocks is utterly trashed.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    RodCrosby said:

An interesting question is whether the pro-Labour bias in the system that has existed since 1992 will continue. It peaked in 2001, and has fallen sharply at the two subsequent elections...
    In 2001, if the Conservatives and Labour had finished with equal vote shares, Labour would have finished with 140 more seats than the Conservatives, according to Butler and Kavanagh. By 2010. that advantage had fallen to about 50 seats. Factor in double-incumbency in 2015, and that advantage could be down to about 20 or so.

Focusing on boundary changes was probably a waste of time.

This discussion has been closed.