Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The money starts to go on Biden for the nomination but I’m far

Comments

• felixfelix Posts: 15,124

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/977177078306099200

Looking at the figures I'm making a rough assumption that a substantial amount of SLab 2nd preferences went to the SNP, so I'm still sticking to my surmise that Unionist tactical voting has reached its high water mark.

Bit of a stretch on the basis of one by-election. interesting that, albeit on low changes the Con vote was up the most and the SNP slightly down. Maybe the big Scottish Labour revival will prove to be patchy.
  • Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,793
    I think Stanikzai, of Afghanistan, has had enough of the tension and decided to sort it out. It seems to be running strongly back to Afghanistan. I think Ireland now need to take his wicket urgently.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718
    Sandpit said:

Afghanistan need 39 runs from 35 balls, with six wickets left. They should get that.
    Edit: big six, now 31 from 33, should be comfortably home from there.

31 off 33 now. 12 off the 45th so far.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    CD13 said:

"Populism nevertheless has a finite lifespan,"

What then? Does unpopulism take over? The loser of an election takes over?

Populism exists on the fantasy-reality spectrum. When it fades, the electorate turns to people who live in the real world.
    And a wicket. Just when we thought it was plain sailing for Afghanistan.
    If I were Irish, I'd have no fingernails left.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

I think Stanikzai, of Afghanistan, has had enough of the tension and decided to sort it out. It seems to be running strongly back to Afghanistan. I think Ireland now need to take his wicket urgently.

They got the one at the other end. 29 from 31 balls, 5 in hand.
  • TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840

CD13 said:

"Populism nevertheless has a finite lifespan,"

What then? Does unpopulism take over? The loser of an election takes over?

Populism exists on the fantasy-reality spectrum. When it fades, the electorate turns to people who live in the real world.
    I can't help but feel for some populism seems to be mean things that are quite popular but outside of how it has been done recently and more often than not how they would like it to be done.

Sandpit said:

They got the one at the other end. 29 from 31 balls, 5 in hand.
    Yeah, should still be Afghanistan, but it ain't over yet.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069
    stodge said:

Afternoon all :)

A lot will depend on the midterm elections. IF the GOP doesn't do too badly they will rally behind Trump and he will likely win a second term.

IF it's a bad night for the GOP, then a number of cans of worms could be opened. First, it would spur the Democrat race for the nomination into life. Second, would Trump run again ? He expected to lose in 2016 by all accounts but I suspect he's a man who doesn't take losing well and the idea of him having to transition to someone who has beaten him will be, I suspect, quite repugnant for a man used to being in charge and in command.

So we might see Trump ease out and the GOP would then have its own race for the nomination.

The other possibility is the GOP does badly and Trump blames the GOP which might encourage a primary challenge (incumbent Presidents have been challenged on a number of occasions, the most notable being Reagan's challenge to Ford in 1976).

Personally, I won't be staking anything more than trivial untl after we get some pointers from the mid terms. It is too little value and too long to wait at present, with even the first Primaries 2 years off.

I would lay both Biden and Sanders though.
    Stanikzai still using the long handle - if Ireland don't get him, and very soon, it will be all over.

Stanikzai still using the long handle - if Ireland don't get him, and very soon, it will be all over.

He’s got the bowling, too.
  • CD13CD13 Posts: 6,349
    Mr Glenn,

"Populism exists on the fantasy-reality spectrum. When it fades, the electorate turns to people who live in the real world."

I feel your pain. Having a superior intellect and judgement like wot you have makes it so difficult to put up with the plebs. Populism shows how broken democracy has become.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,545
    edited March 2018

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

The released camera footage is ludicrously dark. The internet is now awash with videos of people driving down that same stretch of road and it is lit perfectly well - easily enough to see a person crossing the street in plenty of time.

In cricket they often go off for bad light even though it looks fine on the TV because the camera makes the playing area look lighter than it actually is.
    So you could well be right that the obverse might be true here !
    AIUI there were visible-light cameras, radar and LIDAR working together.

I really doubt all three of these failed to detect the obstruction. Instead, I'm guessing it will be in how these inputs are processed. It might be as 'simple' as LIDAR and visible-light cameras not detecting her, so the computers threw out the radar return as erroneous. Or that their system is not designed to cope with the sort of returns you get from someone pushing a bike.

We probably shouldn't get wound up by the sensors (though if it is them at fault, that's a humongous issue for everyone developing this tech); rather the real-time processing of that data.
    As I said on the previous thread this is totally not the way to do safety critical testing. You decide on a safety requirement, so if there is on average 1 death per 100 million miles, you would reasonably set the threshold several times higher, say 1 per 500 million miles. You then model your system to work out what you need to do at the system, component and module level to demonstrate how you meet that test criteria for each. You design each item to the tests you are going to carry out. Then you test from the bottom up - modules first then components then finally integration. Live testing exists simply to validate your models. In principle you should find no anomalies at all because you have designed them out. This is how you design an aircraft, but it is also why new aircraft developments typically cost $10 billion or more.

He’s got the bowling, too.
    And now they've brought Rankin on for his last over - but Stanikzai's down the other end. The other batsman just needs to absorb Rankin's bowling and Stanizai can go after McCarthy next over.
    16 from 18. Errors with bat, ball and fielding in that over. Money still on the batsmen from here.
    Swinging back Ireland’s way now.
    edited March 2018

Still think AFG is in the driving seat. Just need a couple of good hits.

EDIT - the standard DLS sheet gives a par score of 195/5 (or /6) at the end of this over.
    edited March 2018
    Stanikhazi can’t get the bowling, and anyway seems in pain.

As I was typing Zadran hit a six so back to AFG.

The batsmen are swinging at it, that’s for sure.
    SIX!!
    I think that six means it's Goodnight, Vienna.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,745
    HYUFD said:

Losing the midterm elections does not have to be fatal for a President's re election, see Clinton and Obama

That assumes Trump is a politician in the mould of Clinton and Obama which he might not be. Will he see poor results for the GOP as a personal repudiation or simply a vote against the GOP ?

His loyalty to the Republican Party is much less than Clinton's or Obama's to the Democrat party.

Yup. Unlucky for Ireland, need to expand the WC with more smaller nations.
    I think Ireland are effectively out, now. They need to keep Afghanistan to 5 or below off 12 balls to qualify
    If it's exactly 6 off 12, Zimbabwe qualify.
    Above that, Afghanistan qualify
    Sandpit said:

Yup. Unlucky for Ireland, need to expand the WC with more smaller nations.
    Absolutely. Ireland, Zimbabwe, and Scotland at least should all be there as well as WI and Afghanistan.

Looks like it. In other news the Saffirs are walloping the Convicts in a 50 over game.
  • AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited March 2018

Looks like it. In other news the Saffirs are walloping the Convicts in a 50 over game.
    50 over?
    Scores level; Ireland definitely out.
    If the last over is a maiden, Zimbabwe miraculously qualify. Anything else and it's Afghanistan
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842

England's new target in test cricket, survive for 50 overs.
    Afghanistan qualify.
    Anorak said:

50 over?
    My mistake. Thought it was from the scores! Current situation Australia trail by 128 runs with 2 wickets remaining in the innings.
    Still a walloping on the cards, though.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,959

(The Gill Rider mentioned in that article is a good friend of mine. Sadly she is extremely discreet so I never did get the dirt from her on life in the Cabinet Office under Gordon Brown).

That's a shame! I know somebody in Downing Street at that time, who lets out the odd gem.....

LOL, funny 50 over game with them all wearing white.

I’m currently in a sports bar watching these two matches, highlowlights of the NZ-ENG match, the F1 practice replay and the Liverpool-Watford match on five screens!
    Sandpit said:

I’m currently in a sports bar watching these two matches, highlowlights of the NZ-ENG match, the F1 practice replay and the Liverpool-Watford match on five screens!
    LOL indeed! A few drinks after work, I suppose. I thought it was difficult to get a drink in the Gulf on a Friday?

Like him or loathe him, that's a brilliant read. I particularly liked: [Facebook's] current problem is a consequence of senior people there not understanding rapidly changing political dynamics but they’ll learn about politics faster than the politicians learn about engineering

When Facebook have got up to speed on politics, perhaps they'll be able to suggest some solutions for the Irish border, because Mr Cummings certainly doesn't have any.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Age is nothing but a number, give me Bernie or give me death!

https://twitter.com/People4Bernie/status/973952723988041728

Edit:

Follow the enthusiasm, Brexit, Trump, Corbyn.

Yes Sanders the selfish guy who more than anybody put Trump it the White House - just like Corbyn, as LAB leader makes a CON victory next time even more likely.
    Sanders polled better against Trump than Hillary did.

Not impossible it could be Sanders v Trump in 2020 followed by Corbyn v Boris in 2022
    Exactly!

It was the centrists who gave us Trump!

Sanders is the one generating enthusiasm, like Brexit did, like Trump did, like Corbyn did.

I went back and read and old post on here by a guy. He said how he spent ages studying the details on these various events and got it wrong but a guy in his office had called them all (well he was wrong on Corbyn but a lot closer to being right than this guy)

The guys reason?

Enthusiasm, it is all about the stans! (super fans that will bore a whole room with their views). No one else in the Democrats has them to Bernie's level and certainly not Hilary.

Yes, the Hillary campaign was like the Remain campaign and the May campaign, dull, entitled, establishment and certain of an easy victory.

It was the Trump, Leave and Corbyn campaigns which had the crowds and the passion, Boris and Sanders and Trump and Corbyn all inspire enthusiasm amongst their supporters and the crowds even if establishment centrists can't stand them
    I'm just not seeing Sanders go toe to toe with Trump in the debates.
    And enthusing the base probably isn't enough in the Presidential election - holding on to the base and winning the centre is needed.
    edited March 2018

Sandpit said:

LOL indeed! A few drinks after work, I suppose. I thought it was difficult to get a drink in the Gulf on a Friday?
    No work today, our Friday is your Sunday. Loads of beers in Dubai, it’s not Saudi or Iraq here. Cheers!
    Alistair said:

American road fatalities are 1 fatality per 100million miles. Uber self driving cars are at 1 fatality after 3million miles.

But some of those 1 per 100m fatalities are because bridges fall on cars... Still extremely early days, but I can't see driverless cars taking off outside urban centres.

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Edit:

Yes Sanders the selfish guy who more than anybody put Trump it the White House - just like Corbyn, as LAB leader makes a CON victory next time even more likely.

Not impossible it could be Sanders v Trump in 2020 followed by Corbyn v Boris in 2022
    Exactly!

Sanders is the one generating enthusiasm, like Brexit did, like Trump did, like Corbyn did.

I went back and read and old post on here by a guy. He said how he spent ages studying the details on these various events and got it wrong but a guy in his office had called them all (well he was wrong on Corbyn but a lot closer to being right than this guy)

The guys reason?

Enthusiasm, it is all about the stans! (super fans that will bore a whole room with their views). No one else in the Democrats has them to Bernie's level and certainly not Hilary.

Yes, the Hillary campaign was like the Remain campaign and the May campaign, dull, entitled, establishment and certain of an easy victory.

It was the Trump, Leave and Corbyn campaigns which had the crowds and the passion, Boris and Sanders and Trump and Corbyn all inspire enthusiasm amongst their supporters and the crowds even if establishment centrists can't stand them
    And enthusing the base probably isn't enough in the Presidential election - holding on to the base and winning the centre is needed.
    I'm not sure the people who swung the last election are centrists who decided that Hilary was more left wing than Trump was right wing, in much the same way that UKIP voters in the UK weren't just really right wing. Sanders would blunt much of Trumps anti establishment rhetoric or even make it look silly.

Admittedly I didn't watch the actual Trump Clinton debates but I felt some of the hits were related to what has come before and her own powerful position, these attacks would be more blunted against Sanders.
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

No work today, our Friday is your Sunday. Loads of beers in Dubai, it’s not Saudi or Iraq here. Cheers!
    Cheers indeed. Of course every day is a no-work day for us OAP’s! Recall beers, and indeed other life-support liquids being freely available in Dubai hotels. Went cricket-watching there a few years ago and seem to recall problems with refreshment at the grounds.
    Sandpit said:

I remember being in a pizza place in Bioko Island, Equatorial Guinea, watching a live game featuring Crewe Alexandria..... The place was absolutely rammed (although that may have had something to do with Barca playing later...!)
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043
    OMG. Corbyn is going to have to come up with something spectacular to get out of this one:

https://twitter.com/lucianaberger/status/977183210051338241
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Edit:

Exactly!

The guys reason?

I'm not sure the people who swung the last election are centrists who decided that Hilary was more left wing than Trump was right wing, in much the same way that UKIP voters in the UK weren't just really right wing. Sanders would blunt much of Trumps anti establishment rhetoric or even make it look silly.

Admittedly I didn't watch the actual Trump Clinton debates but I felt some of the hits were related to what has come before and her own powerful position, these attacks would be more blunted against Sanders.
    If the Democrats try to refight the last election, they will lose.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

OMG. Corbyn is going to have to come up with something spectacular to get out of this one:

While it's awful, this isn't news.
    Foxy said:

stodge said:

Afternoon all :)

A lot will depend on the midterm elections. IF the GOP doesn't do too badly they will rally behind Trump and he will likely win a second term.

IF it's a bad night for the GOP, then a number of cans of worms could be opened. First, it would spur the Democrat race for the nomination into life. Second, would Trump run again ? He expected to lose in 2016 by all accounts but I suspect he's a man who doesn't take losing well and the idea of him having to transition to someone who has beaten him will be, I suspect, quite repugnant for a man used to being in charge and in command.

So we might see Trump ease out and the GOP would then have its own race for the nomination.

The other possibility is the GOP does badly and Trump blames the GOP which might encourage a primary challenge (incumbent Presidents have been challenged on a number of occasions, the most notable being Reagan's challenge to Ford in 1976).

Personally, I won't be staking anything more than trivial untl after we get some pointers from the mid terms. It is too little value and too long to wait at present, with even the first Primaries 2 years off.

I would lay both Biden and Sanders though.
    I can quite understand your not thinking Biden will get the nomination; laying him at current prices seems overly risky though. You really think it value ?

Biden's chances look quite interesting to me; particularly as some of the more radical democrats are starting to downplay his viability as a candidate - they think he has a chance.
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Edit:

Exactly!

The guys reason?

Same applies to Labour.

This is the link. People were calling Corbyn out on it at least two years ago.

https://www.facebook.com/290156246477/photos/a.290349386477.157415.290156246477/10151054305501478/

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Cheers indeed. Of course every day is a no-work day for us OAP’s! Recall beers, and indeed other life-support liquids being freely available in Dubai hotels. Went cricket-watching there a few years ago and seem to recall problems with refreshment at the grounds.
    Dubai cricket stadium (a quarter of a mile from where I am now) now has a bar, but only in certain premium stands. Sharjah is completely dry, Abu Dhabi I’m not sure but last time I went there it was dry
    in my stand.

By the way I heard stories of English fans being completely ripped off for tickets bought at home, in Dubai for Eng v Pak Test Match the cheap seats were £5 and the premium seats £10 to buy on the day, but the British official tour companies had charged £50 and £100 for them as part of a package tour. There were only 1k people in the ground, which holds 25k. I rounded up a bunch of England fans and showed them the premium area with the bar. :)

No he's not.

Despite the fact it looks like the work of Goebbels, Corbyn's going to claim he didn't realise it was portraying Rothschild, etc, and all his profoundly moronic disciples will swallow it hook, line and sinker. Then they'll take to twitter to mob anyone who says otherwise. Wait for obfuscation, and crap like "they're not *all* Jews, so it can't be antisemitism".
    Anorak said:

No he's not.

Despite the fact it looks like the work of Goebbels, Corbyn's going to claim he didn't realise it was portraying Rothschild, etc, and all his profoundly moronic disciples will swallow it hook, line and sinker. Then they'll take to twitter to mob anyone who says otherwise. Wait for obfuscation, and crap like "they're not *all* Jews, so it can't be antisemitism".
    I'm sure Nick Timothy will be happy to help him out by explaining that it merely illustrates the citizens of nowhere...
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

While it's awful, this isn't news.
    What that labour is riddled with Antisemitism. No, you're right about that.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

Interesting photo of the Uber accident car. Volvo XC90. Note the LIDAR on the roof and the surprisingly minimal damage for what was a fatal collision at 38mph.
    https://twitter.com/NTSB_Newsroom/status/976215176323194880

There is some spectacular bullshit being thrown around by the authorities - to the level that otherwise rational minds start having to specualting on a rubbish attempt at a coverup. The police chief is trying to victim blame by saying they came from the shadows.

The released camera footage is ludicrously dark. The internet is now awash with videos of people driving down that same stretch of road and it is lit perfectly well - easily enough to see a person crossing the street in plenty of time.

And it's the "visibility" argument is a pure smokescreen anyway as that's the reason they had LIDAR and IR cameras on the cars.

American road fatalities are 1 fatality per 100million miles. Uber self driving cars are at 1 fatality after 3million miles.
    N=1
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Anorak said:

No he's not.

The Corbynistas are ahead of you:

https://twitter.com/markiepants/status/977194471338201090

However, it's too obscure to have any wide impact.

Anorak said:

No he's not.

I'm sure Nick Timothy will be happy to help him out by explaining that it merely illustrates the citizens of nowhere...
    Instructive thread.
    https://twitter.com/daverich1/status/977188696733769728
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Dubai cricket stadium (a quarter of a mile from where I am now) now has a bar, but only in certain premium stands. Sharjah is completely dry, Abu Dhabi I’m not sure but last time I went there it was dry
    in my stand.

By the way I heard stories of English fans being completely ripped off for tickets bought at home, in Dubai for Eng v Pak Test Match the cheap seats were £5 and the premium seats £10 to buy on the day, but the British official tour companies had charged £50 and £100 for them as part of a package tour. There were only 1k people in the ground, which holds 25k. I rounded up a bunch of England fans and showed them the premium area with the bar. :)
    We went with a (very small) group of Essex supporters when they wwere part of a pre-season tournament there. I must say I don’t remember it as cheap, although we had a package which included what seemed quite a decent hotel.
    Seem to recall what were obviously Arabs drinking in the hotel bar.
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

No he's not.

Instructive thread.
    If someone put up a mural which 'some' black people claimed was racist then it would (rightly) be very quickly taken down. Yet, when it's Jewish people......

Again Corbyn's views aren't news.
    Convicts 9th wicket pair have so far scored 52.
    Scott_P said:
    Hasn’t Cameron done enough damage already?

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

in my stand.

We went with a (very small) group of Essex supporters when they wwere part of a pre-season tournament there. I must say I don’t remember it as cheap, although we had a package which included what seemed quite a decent hotel.
    The hotel bars are expensive here as a tourist, but it’s okay if you live here as you’re not paying 40% income tax. My local has a happy hour until 8pm where a pint costs £6, then it goes up to £9. People in Arab dress (dishdasha) are not supposed to be served in bars, but it does happen.

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

No he's not.

Instructive thread.
    If someone put up a mural which 'some' black people claimed was racist then it would (rightly) be very quickly taken down. Yet, when it's Jewish people......

But they should be. It's just inconceivable that any other leader of any other party would get a pass on this stuff. Imagine if Nick Griffin had liked it on facebook.....

Partnership 54 from 60 balls. I can see why you thought this might be a one day match.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

No he won't. Corbyn is teflon. The Tories need to concentrate on developing a positive message and a campaign independent of attacking Corbyn. It doesn't work.
    King Cole, having a former deputy leader of a party of government in a position where neutrality is absolutely essential is ridiculous.

You would've thought Cameron would've learnt of the perils of box-ticking nonsense with Sayeeda "militant secularists" Warsi.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    I now have zero doubt that Corbyn is a passive, not an active, anti-Semite.

It doesn't matter. Too many people in Labour don't care, and the public as a whole give him a pass.

Start weeping, Labour moderates.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,723

Scott_P said:
    Harriet is not the right candidate IMO
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

in my stand.

The hotel bars are expensive here as a tourist, but it’s okay if you live here as you’re not paying 40% income tax. My local has a happy hour until 8pm where a pint costs £6, then it goes up to £9. People in Arab dress (dishdasha) are not supposed to be served in bars, but it does happen.
    Thanks; doubt I’ll go to The Gulf again, TBH. Expect I’ll overfly to Thailand though, if I can sort out travel insurance. When one passes 80 it gets difficult, especially outside Europe. Don’t suppose we’ll ever get to the Caribbean now.
    Mr. Max, more importantly, all those (or almost all) who would be persuaded of what a danger Corbyn is are already voting Conservative. Agree entirely on the need for a positive message.
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Edit:

Exactly!

The guys reason?

My thinking would be if the Democrats fight the last election again, centrist vs Trump, they will lose.
    Sandpit said:

Partnership 54 from 60 balls. I can see why you thought this might be a one day match.
    LOL! I’d buy you a beer if I was there!
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

No he's not.

Instructive thread.

The artist certainly didn't mince his words.

He said various Jews objected to him portraying Rothschild and Warburg as "the demons they are."
    FPT

Interesting thread on Bolton - which may be better (or worse) than some fear:

https://twitter.com/RichardGowan1/status/977040255948910592

A follow up to that comment:
    https://twitter.com/RichardGowan1/status/977205404710113286
  • sarissasarissa Posts: 1,752

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/977177078306099200

Looking at the figures I'm making a rough assumption that a substantial amount of SLab 2nd preferences went to the SNP, so I'm still sticking to my surmise that Unionist tactical voting has reached its high water mark.

Green second preferences split 41% SNP/10% CON/30%LAB/19% none of them.

Labour preferences at the final stage split approx 31% SNP/23% CON/46% neither.

Was looking for some stuff, and thought this might be somewhat amusing. It's classic books explained for the Snowflake generation:
    https://www.penguin.co.uk/articles/find-your-next-read/reading-lists/2018/mar/classic-books-explained-for-snowflake-generation/
    MaxPB said:

No he won't. Corbyn is teflon. The Tories need to concentrate on developing a positive message and a campaign independent of attacking Corbyn. It doesn't work.
    The Teflon is gradually wearing away, but I agree this will not be decisive.
  • BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191

Regardless of the contortions people are going to make to defend him on this, can we all step back, a second, and marvel at the sheer witlessness of his comment.

What a guy!

Sandpit said:

That famous batsman Nathan Lyon goes for 47 trying to smash a boundary, is it okay to feel sorry for an Australian getting out? That’s his highest ever Test score.
  • BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    "You know who else had controversial views on art?"

"NO, KEN, NO!"

"NO, KEN, NO!"

"If only they'd let him paint murals..."

"NO, KEN, NO!"

"You know who else was a great painter, before he went into politics?"
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

That famous batsman Nathan Lyon goes for 47 trying to smash a boundary, is it okay to feel sorry for an Australian getting out? That’s his highest ever Test score.
    Apparently he’s in some danger of getting 1000 test runbs without scoring a 50! Around 800 so far.
    Dan Jarvis to stand as Labour's candidate for South Yorkshire mayor:
    https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/977208843498414080

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Apparently he’s in some danger of getting 1000 test runbs without scoring a 50! Around 800 so far.
    Ooh, that could be one for that statisticians, has anyone got 1k runs without a 50? They’re going off for light now, looks like the end of the day.

ttps://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/977208843498414080

So what’s his view on the Sheffield trees, that are being cut down by the Labour council?
    Apropos of very little, the Net Run Rate metric used as a tie-breaker in tournaments has proven to be confusing as hell to pretty much everyone (many commentators on Cricinfo didn't understand that a tie actually reduces the net run rate (well, moves it towards zero), and it's hard to instinctively grasp how much difference exists in NRR shifts.

A few years back, I saw someone propose that all limited overs matches should have final scores expressed in terms of runs (ie Side A beat Side B by however-many-runs) and the batting-second-winner issue (that the side batting second stops whenever they pass the target, whether it's after the full 50 overs, or after 15 overs), the chasing side's total is extrapolated to the DLS par score at the point they finished. After all, if it's good enough to use for its current purpose, why not?

So a side chasing down a target of, say, 220, and getting 223/4 after 38 overs would have the result announced as "win by 109 runs" and a nominal runs scored as 329, because that's the DLS par score for a side on 223/4 with 12 overs left. Instead of calculating a NRR, sides would have runs scored and runs conceded, with net runs as the tie breaker.

If we were to do this for the WCQ Super Sixes:
    WI would have 1310 scored, 1199 conceded, net runs +111.
    Afghanistan would have 1151 scored, 1061 conceded, net runs +90
    Zimbabwe would have 1132 scored, 1039 conceded, net runs +93
    Scotland would have 1255 scored, 1183 conceded, net runs +72
    Ireland would have 1163 scored, 1024 conceded, net runs +139
    UAE would have 1044 scored, 1549 conceded, net runs -505

The advantage is that going into a critical match where teams could finish level on points (as so often happens), the net run difference would be easy to spot and visualise (eg "So-and-so needs to score 16 runs more than they concede to overhaul whoever-it-is." We're used to adjusting scores by DLS anyway, so why not?

Regardless of the contortions people are going to make to defend him on this, can we all step back, a second, and marvel at the sheer witlessness of his comment.

What a guy!
    I suspect he is just aping Yvonne Ridley, of Respect etc etc. Whose own comment is immediately above Jezza.

Looks like my bet with Pulpstar is going down... :-(
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Ooh, that could be one for that statisticians, has anyone got 1k runs without a 50? They’re going off for light now, looks like the end of the day.
    Someone has; the cricinfo commentators said so earlier, but I can’t find the reference. Waqir?
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

What a guy!
    "Rockerfeller" is impressive.
    Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

The Teflon is gradually wearing away, but I agree this will not be decisive.
    Well it should bloody be decisive. His only defence that I can see (assuming it is him; and it seems to be him - the link goes to him - but at a FB page that stopped in 2013). He has one at: https://www.facebook.com/JeremyCorbynMP/

is that he doesn't know what the picture illustrates. Which would be par for the course...

Does he have to stand down as an MP if he’s a candidate, or only if he’s elected?

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Someone has; the cricinfo commentators said so earlier, but I can’t find the reference. Waqir?
    Statsguru says yes.
    Waqir got 1010 runs with no fifties.
    Next highest is Fred Trueman with 981.
    Craig McDermott 940
    Morne Morkel 938
    Derek Underwood 937
    Courtney Walsh 936
    Andy Caddick 861 (highest score 49 not out)
    Robert Willis 840
    ... and then Lyon with 803

That's everyone with more than 800 runs and no Test fifties.
    Mr. Borough, what's the bet?

Mr. Sandpit, not sure, but Sheffield folk do not seem pleased by it one bit.

King Cole, my understanding is that he has to stand down as an MP. There was some irritation at that move a few days ago.

Does he have to stand down as an MP if he’s a candidate, or only if he’s elected?
    elected iirc. But I'm thinking that is quite likely.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842

He'll walk it, easily.

Mr. Borough, what's the bet?

Mr. Sandpit, not sure, but Sheffield folk do not seem pleased by it one bit.

King Cole, my understanding is that he has to stand down as an MP. There was some irritation at that move a few days ago.

Jarvis would be leader by 2020. Made by me in those far away days when there was some hope for the vaguely sensible centre-left.

Before the Cult took full control.
  • John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited March 2018

Scott_P said:
    Harriet is not the right candidate IMO
    I'm backing Harriet. It's inspirational to see a woman from such a wealthy and deeply privileged background struggle to break through the glass ceiling. You may laugh at me now, but I tell you this; one day, there will be a female leader of the Labour party. Not in my lifetime of course, but one day.
    Mr. Borough, alas, that does look very unlikely now.
This discussion has been closed.