Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The money starts to go on Biden for the nomination but I’m far

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896

Dan Jarvis to stand as Labour's candidate for South Yorkshire mayor:
    https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/977208843498414080

Looks like my bet with Pulpstar is going down... :-(
    Does he have to stand down as an MP if he’s a candidate, or only if he’s elected?
    He can only be asked to stand down as a Labour MP. He’s still an MP until the next election, unless he takes the Chiltern Hundreds. Once he’s on the ballot paper (nominations closed) as the Labour candidate for the mayor job there’s nothing the party can do about it.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,081
    edited March 2018
    sarissa said:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/977177078306099200

Looking at the figures I'm making a rough assumption that a substantial amount of SLab 2nd preferences went to the SNP, so I'm still sticking to my surmise that Unionist tactical voting has reached its high water mark.

Green second preferences split 41% SNP/10% CON/30%LAB/19% none of them.

Labour preferences at the final stage split approx 31% SNP/23% CON/46% neither.

Thanks, even better than I anticipated.
    I'd say the chances of a pro Union, anti Brexit SLab voter going for the SCons tactically have taken a hard dunt.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216

Scott_P said:
    Hasn’t Cameron done enough damage already?
    Harriet is not the right candidate IMO
    Seems pretty bonkers to me. Got a lot of time for Harriet generally, but she has been on front bench far too long to be credible as Speaker.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Convicts 9th wicket pair have so far scored 52.

Partnership 54 from 60 balls. I can see why you thought this might be a one day match.
    LOL! I’d buy you a beer if I was there!
    That famous batsman Nathan Lyon goes for 47 trying to smash a boundary, is it okay to feel sorry for an Australian getting out? That’s his highest ever Test score.
    Apparently he’s in some danger of getting 1000 test runbs without scoring a 50! Around 800 so far.
    Ooh, that could be one for that statisticians, has anyone got 1k runs without a 50? They’re going off for light now, looks like the end of the day.
    Someone has; the cricinfo commentators said so earlier, but I can’t find the reference. Waqir?
    Statsguru says yes.
    Waqir got 1010 runs with no fifties.
    Next highest is Fred Trueman with 981.
    Craig McDermott 940
    Morne Morkel 938
    Derek Underwood 937
    Courtney Walsh 936
    Andy Caddick 861 (highest score 49 not out)
    Robert Willis 840
    ... and then Lyon with 803

That's everyone with more than 800 runs and no Test fifties.
    Thanks for that! Feel very sorry for Andy Caddick who run out of partners one short.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    Sandpit said:

ttps://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/977208843498414080

So what’s his view on the Sheffield trees, that are being cut down by the Labour council?
    They are in a PFI contract that has no break clause until 2037

Gross incompetence from Sheffield New Labour Councillors

Or the Councils Officers

Or both.

Of course Corbyn escapes unscathed as he has always opposed PFI.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,983
    edited March 2018

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Convicts 9th wicket pair have so far scored 52.

Partnership 54 from 60 balls. I can see why you thought this might be a one day match.
    LOL! I’d buy you a beer if I was there!
    That famous batsman Nathan Lyon goes for 47 trying to smash a boundary, is it okay to feel sorry for an Australian getting out? That’s his highest ever Test score.
    Apparently he’s in some danger of getting 1000 test runbs without scoring a 50! Around 800 so far.
    Ooh, that could be one for that statisticians, has anyone got 1k runs without a 50? They’re going off for light now, looks like the end of the day.
    Someone has; the cricinfo commentators said so earlier, but I can’t find the reference. Waqir?
    Statsguru says yes.
    Waqir got 1010 runs with no fifties.
    Next highest is Fred Trueman with 981.
    Craig McDermott 940
    Morne Morkel 938
    Derek Underwood 937
    Courtney Walsh 936
    Andy Caddick 861 (highest score 49 not out)
    Robert Willis 840
    ... and then Lyon with 803

That's everyone with more than 800 runs and no Test fifties.
    Ah Fred Trueman. Reminds me of a story, which may or may not be true, but apparently some time after retirment from first class cricket Fred was living in a small village in the Dales, and learned that the local team needed players, so went along to offer his services. Thank you Mr Trueman, said the chairman, but it’s batsmen we’re needing, not bowlers.

Edit. Sp, and omitted to thank Mr C!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Pulpstar, oh aye. It's the People's Republic of South Yorkshire, after all.

A Yorkshire-wide mayor would be more competitive. The North is Toryland National Park, and the middle part is full of red-blue marginals.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

"You know who else had controversial views on art?"

"NO, KEN, NO!"

Actually, AH's views on art (as opposed to the race of the people who made the art) were crushingly conventional.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/977208843498414080

Looks like my bet with Pulpstar is going down... :-(
    Does he have to stand down as an MP if he’s a candidate, or only if he’s elected?
    He'll walk it, easily.
    Unless he comes back in time for 2020, I will be owing you £20, Sir.
  • Options

"NO, KEN, NO!"

Actually, AH's views on art (as opposed to the race of the people who made the art) were crushingly conventional.
    He was a failed artist, who made a pittance as a young man selling painted postcards in the street and in pubs, living in doss houses some of the time.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,117
    John_M said:

Scott_P said:
    I'm backing Harriet. It's inspirational to see a woman from such a wealthy and deeply privileged background struggle to break through the glass ceiling. You may laugh at me now, but I tell you this; one day, there will be a female leader of the Labour party. Not in my lifetime of course, but one day.
    But not one as has a chance of being Prime Minister. That's just crazy talk.....
  • Options

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

OMG. Corbyn is going to have to come up with something spectacular to get out of this one:

https://twitter.com/lucianaberger/status/977183210051338241

No he won't. Corbyn is teflon. The Tories need to concentrate on developing a positive message and a campaign independent of attacking Corbyn. It doesn't work.
    The Teflon is gradually wearing away, but I agree this will not be decisive.
    Well it should bloody be decisive. His only defence that I can see (assuming it is him; and it seems to be him - the link goes to him - but at a FB page that stopped in 2013). He has one at: https://www.facebook.com/JeremyCorbynMP/

is that he doesn't know what the picture illustrates. Which would be par for the course...
    The Corbyn defence of Too Stupid To Know.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    John_M said:

Scott_P said:
    I'm backing Harriet. It's inspirational to see a woman from such a wealthy and deeply privileged background struggle to break through the glass ceiling. You may laugh at me now, but I tell you this; one day, there will be a female leader of the Labour party. Not in my lifetime of course, but one day.
    Since 2015 we actually had a period where more women were joining the party than men. A gender imbalance remains but Labour actually has one of the best ratios of men to women for members so I'd imagine at least partially thanks to Corbyn's influence we will have a female leader next time.
  • Options

John_M said:

Scott_P said:
    But not one as has a chance of being Prime Minister. That's just crazy talk.....
    Emily Thornberry may well be Labours first ever Labour PM IMO.

• Options

"NO, KEN, NO!"

He was a failed artist, who made a pittance as a young man selling painted postcards in the street and in pubs, living in doss houses some of the time.
    Yep. His paintings/drawings weren't absolutely awful, just totally lacking in any kind of spark.

There's an alternative history novel which has Hitler being accepted by the Vienna Academy, and the subsequent changes to 20th century events. Can't remember the name of it or its author unfortunately.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

stodge said:

Afternoon all :)

A lot will depend on the midterm elections. IF the GOP doesn't do too badly they will rally behind Trump and he will likely win a second term.

IF it's a bad night for the GOP, then a number of cans of worms could be opened. First, it would spur the Democrat race for the nomination into life. Second, would Trump run again ? He expected to lose in 2016 by all accounts but I suspect he's a man who doesn't take losing well and the idea of him having to transition to someone who has beaten him will be, I suspect, quite repugnant for a man used to being in charge and in command.

So we might see Trump ease out and the GOP would then have its own race for the nomination.

The other possibility is the GOP does badly and Trump blames the GOP which might encourage a primary challenge (incumbent Presidents have been challenged on a number of occasions, the most notable being Reagan's challenge to Ford in 1976).

Personally, I won't be staking anything more than trivial untl after we get some pointers from the mid terms. It is too little value and too long to wait at present, with even the first Primaries 2 years off.

I would lay both Biden and Sanders though.
    I can quite understand your not thinking Biden will get the nomination; laying him at current prices seems overly risky though. You really think it value ?

Biden's chances look quite interesting to me; particularly as some of the more radical democrats are starting to downplay his viability as a candidate - they think he has a chance.
    Laying him at current prices is risky simply because of the odds but yes, it's value. Biden is (was?) a good campaigner but I agree with Mike that the age issue is one he will have to address. He'd be 82 by the end of his first term. Trump - the oldest person ever elected to a first term - isn't best-placed to make that case but some of his surrogates can do so easily enough.

I'd still be looking down the list. We're a long way out from the primaries and there's surely the opportunity for a less-high-profile senator or governor to make a decent run at the nomination?
  • Options

"NO, KEN, NO!"

Those two points not being wholly unconnected.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    "Banks said: “Leave.EU did not receive any data or work from Cambridge Analytica. Ukip did give Cambridge Analytica some of its data and Cambridge Analytica did some analysis of this. But it was not used in the Brexit campaign. Cambridge Analytica tried to make me pay for that work but I refused. It had nothing to do with us.”

That's about the only valuable part.

CA will say that "isn't work", presumably, more, er, business development?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,983

"NO, KEN, NO!"

He was a vegetarian, too, wasn’t he. And teetotal.
  • Options
    Ockendon by-election result, 22 March 2018
    Candidate Party Votes
    Andrew Jefferies The Conservative Party 696
    Allen Mayes Thurrock Independents 531
    Les Strange Labour Party 696
    Andrew Jefferies of The Conservative Party is elected after the drawing of lots, due to equal votes being cast for 2 candidates. 1,929 votes were cast. The turnout was 25.25%.
  • Options
  • Options

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

OMG. Corbyn is going to have to come up with something spectacular to get out of this one:

No he won't. Corbyn is teflon. The Tories need to concentrate on developing a positive message and a campaign independent of attacking Corbyn. It doesn't work.
    Well it should bloody be decisive. His only defence that I can see (assuming it is him; and it seems to be him - the link goes to him - but at a FB page that stopped in 2013). He has one at: https://www.facebook.com/JeremyCorbynMP/

is that he doesn't know what the picture illustrates. Which would be par for the course...
    Why does LB bring up a 6 yr old post the day after Labour launch its Local Election Campaign?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Dave must have taken leave of his senses. The very idea of having that ghastly woman, with her ghastly hectoring voice directing the House of Commons for an unspecified timespan is surely unthinkable.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

"NO, KEN, NO!"

Not wholly, but still separate. I think almost all of the artists in Die Ausstellung "Entartete Kunst" were non Jewish. It'd have been interesting if there had been a Jewish Arno Breker around at the time, though doubtless AH would have found the idea of a lovingly depicted Jewish supermen even more disturbing than German Expressionism.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,996

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Why does LB bring up a 6 yr old post the day after Labour launch its Local Election Campaign?
    What are your views of the post? Acceptable or not?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    edited March 2018

sarissa said:

Looking at the figures I'm making a rough assumption that a substantial amount of SLab 2nd preferences went to the SNP, so I'm still sticking to my surmise that Unionist tactical voting has reached its high water mark.

I'd say the chances of a pro Union, anti Brexit SLab voter going for the SCons tactically have taken a hard dunt.
    Still almost a quarter will and most crucially with list PR also an element of the next Holyrood elections we are still heading for that Unionist majority as tactical voting is less relevant there than at Westminster under FPTP or local elections under STV
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Not sure, but I don't think that is the biggest question here.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

I figured we just had a really cunning tactic for the last 2 years were we take Eminem's 8 mile approach*.. obviously it would just look silly if Corbyn did both parts so some of the Labour right have taken the hit for the team.

*basically insulting yourself so your opponents have nothing left to insult you with.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,931

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Of course it's acceptable - Jeremy posted it!!

For the non-believers, though, that "Why" sitting there at the very front of the post rather gives the game away.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    MaxPB said:

The top Labour target council in London in May held by the Tories is Barnet, which also happens to have the highest Jewish population in the UK
  • Options

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Is there a statute if limitations applicable on anti-semitism in the Labour Party?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

sarissa said:

Still almost a quarter will and most crucially with list PR also an element of the next Holyrood elections we are still heading for that Unionist majority as tactical voting is less relevant there than at Westminster under FPTP or local elections under STV
    Bloody awful echo in here.
  • Options

"NO, KEN, NO!"

He was a vegetarian, too, wasn’t he. And teetotal.
    Yes. Which is odd even by his standards, given that he gloried in violence, strength and struggle and had no time for pitying suffering, and who effectively launched his career in a beer hall.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Age is nothing but a number, give me Bernie or give me death!

https://twitter.com/People4Bernie/status/973952723988041728

Edit:

Follow the enthusiasm, Brexit, Trump, Corbyn.

Yes Sanders the selfish guy who more than anybody put Trump it the White House - just like Corbyn, as LAB leader makes a CON victory next time even more likely.
    Sanders polled better against Trump than Hillary did.

Not impossible it could be Sanders v Trump in 2020 followed by Corbyn v Boris in 2022
    Exactly!

It was the centrists who gave us Trump!

Sanders is the one generating enthusiasm, like Brexit did, like Trump did, like Corbyn did.

I went back and read and old post on here by a guy. He said how he spent ages studying the details on these various events and got it wrong but a guy in his office had called them all (well he was wrong on Corbyn but a lot closer to being right than this guy)

The guys reason?

Enthusiasm, it is all about the stans! (super fans that will bore a whole room with their views). No one else in the Democrats has them to Bernie's level and certainly not Hilary.

Yes, the Hillary campaign was like the Remain campaign and the May campaign, dull, entitled, establishment and certain of an easy victory.

It was the Trump, Leave and Corbyn campaigns which had the crowds and the passion, Boris and Sanders and Trump and Corbyn all inspire enthusiasm amongst their supporters and the crowds even if establishment centrists can't stand them
    I'm just not seeing Sanders go toe to toe with Trump in the debates.
    And enthusing the base probably isn't enough in the Presidential election - holding on to the base and winning the centre is needed.
    That was the Hillary strategy in 2016
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    I guess that meant they actually read the thing. (Or maybe they didn't and are just taking a precaution in case Cummings said something objectionable in the tsunami of words).
  • Options

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

I dont really have a view. I am too thick to link it to Anti Semitism. If you are telling me Corbyns post is Anti Semitic then I dont believe he meant it to be. If he did then I would condemn the post.

The problem is LB has a history of trying to stab the leader in the back so she I dont trust her judgement

Why does the same Labour MP who put down the Anti Corbyn Early Day Motion last week bring up a 5 yr old post today in the middle of important LE campaign?

I think i have answered my own question.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

I guess that meant they actually read the thing. (Or maybe they didn't and are just taking a precaution in case Cummings said something objectionable in the tsunami of words).
    A tsunami of words of somebody completely on top of his brief and very, very certain of his ground.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Edit:

Yes Sanders the selfish guy who more than anybody put Trump it the White House - just like Corbyn, as LAB leader makes a CON victory next time even more likely.

Not impossible it could be Sanders v Trump in 2020 followed by Corbyn v Boris in 2022
    Exactly!

Sanders is the one generating enthusiasm, like Brexit did, like Trump did, like Corbyn did.

I went back and read and old post on here by a guy. He said how he spent ages studying the details on these various events and got it wrong but a guy in his office had called them all (well he was wrong on Corbyn but a lot closer to being right than this guy)

The guys reason?

Enthusiasm, it is all about the stans! (super fans that will bore a whole room with their views). No one else in the Democrats has them to Bernie's level and certainly not Hilary.

Yes, the Hillary campaign was like the Remain campaign and the May campaign, dull, entitled, establishment and certain of an easy victory.

It was the Trump, Leave and Corbyn campaigns which had the crowds and the passion, Boris and Sanders and Trump and Corbyn all inspire enthusiasm amongst their supporters and the crowds even if establishment centrists can't stand them
    And enthusing the base probably isn't enough in the Presidential election - holding on to the base and winning the centre is needed.
    That's the strategy in any Presidential election. Not all have HRC as the candidate.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

I dont really have a view. I am too thick to link it to Anti Semitism. If you are telling me Corbyns post is Anti Semitic then I dont believe he meant it to be. If he did then I would condemn the post.

The problem is LB has a history of trying to stab the leader in the back so she I dont trust her judgement

(Snip)
    No... that's really not the problem.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Why does the same Labour MP who put down the Anti Corbyn Early Day Motion last week bring up a 5 yr old post today in the middle of important LE campaign?

What difference does the source or her timing make? The mural in question is a classic of every wild anti-semite trope going and either Jezza doesn't get that or didn't care back when he posted the comment.

Even if she was setting out to deflect from the precious local election campaign, she wouldn't have any ammunition if Corbyn didn't carry on as it has in the past.

He's backed to rights and the cult aren't going to be able to talk their way out of this one.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
  • Options
    RobD said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

You wouldnt would you. But your motive would be the same as LB but she is supposed to be on Labours side.
  • Options

RobD said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

You wouldnt would you. But your motive would be the same as LB but she is supposed to be on Labours side.
    Right, so the biggest question is why is someone bringing this awkward story up?
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Wouldn't be surprised. The cherry on the cake of this story is that the CA "whistleblower" approached VoteLeave after he had left the company. What a principled fellow.
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534
    FF43 said:

So long as you park the "it was me that won it" content in Cummings blog posts, it's great insight into what went on in 2016.

Given Leave was up against the government machine & most of the establishment, it's still amazing it won.

Guardian types simply cannot accept the majority don't like their EU stitch up of the UK
  • Options

"NO, KEN, NO!"

Yep. His paintings/drawings weren't absolutely awful, just totally lacking in any kind of spark.

There's an alternative history novel which has Hitler being accepted by the Vienna Academy, and the subsequent changes to 20th century events. Can't remember the name of it or its author unfortunately.
    If only they had...
  • Options

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

What difference does the source or her timing make? The mural in question is a classic of every wild anti-semite trope going and either Jezza doesn't get that or didn't care back when he posted the comment.

Even if she was setting out to deflect from the precious local election campaign, she wouldn't have any ammunition if Corbyn didn't carry on as it has in the past.

He's backed to rights and the cult aren't going to be able to talk their way out of this one.
    Not important.

Winning seats in the Local Elections is.

I am 100% behind that task not getting distracted by Core Anti Corbynites who become less relevant by the day.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,715

John_M said:

Scott_P said:
    Since 2015 we actually had a period where more women were joining the party than men. A gender imbalance remains but Labour actually has one of the best ratios of men to women for members so I'd imagine at least partially thanks to Corbyn's influence we will have a female leader next time.
    So not Keir Starmer then?
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Right, so the biggest question is why is someone bringing this awkward story up?
    It's the same cult attitude that leads to journos being boo-ed when they ask a question of the anointed one.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Predictable TBF. The key Progress figures have done it every year since JC won the overwhelming backing of members.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Not important.

I am 100% behind that task not getting distracted by Core Anti Corbynites who become less relevant by the day.

Translation - you like Jeremy's politics, so will happily live with the anti-Semitism and the Jew-baiting. At least you are honest about it.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Edit:

Exactly!

The guys reason?

That's the strategy in any Presidential election. Not all have HRC as the candidate.
    Neither Trump nor Sanders is a centrist but both enthuse their base leaving a contest between the 2 wide open
  • Options
    No more posts about LB/TP or any of the other Progress lots from me today they are irrelevant.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Not important.

I'm leaving this one now, as I'm too bloody angry. The last thing this country needs on top of all our other problems is for Her Majesty's Opposition to become a welcoming watering hole for every two bit anti-semite in the country. But that's where Labour are headed...
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

RobD said:

RobD said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Predictable TBF. The key Progress figures have done it every year since JC won the overwhelming backing of members.
    And every year since JC became leader, he has failed to dealing with the growing anti-semitism that is evident in parts of the Labour movement.

It is fully understandable why he keeps being called out on it.

The same way that the misogyny in parts of the Labour movement is not being tackled.

Or the use of violent language.

There is no defending this stuff. But cult members will keep defending Corbyn.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    What a find weird about the cult is if somebody had been in a Facebook group where something they THOUGHT was anti-LGTB or anti-muslim or said anything supportive about such artwork they could be taken that way, they would be going absolutely nuts. But anti-jewish shrug shoulders.

Same with trump and pro-russia.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Yep, this is true. Some people have spent many years pointing out that Corbyn happily ignores anti-Semitism and Jew-baiting, despite claiming to be opposed to all forms of racism. It's because these people genuinely are opposed to all forms of racism that they do this, of course.

• Options

No more posts about LB/TP or any of the other Progress lots from me today they are irrelevant.

Nailing your colours to the mast. You are clearly happy with anti-semitism at the heart of the Labour movement.

At least we know for certain.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Labour party is also a bit like team trump in that the growns up keep leaving...
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Not important.

So minding about anti-semitism is an irrelevant distraction? Golly.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Not been a good week for the Observer - they seem to have bought a pup.
  • Options
    SCons showing remarkable restraint in their adoption of Libdem barchartery.

https://twitter.com/WingsScotland/status/977192030089764865
  • Options

FF43 said:

A tsunami of words of somebody completely on top of his brief and very, very certain of his ground.
    OK, so I had to read it. It's quite interesting. In response to their set of questions about allegations of Vote Leave setting up BeLeave as an illegal front organisation, it is Cumming, not Channel 4 who makes the links between Cambridge Analytica and a separate report that C4 did on CA and the Trump campaign. Cummings appears either to be getting his retaliation in first about communications between CA staff and VL that he expects C4 to reveal - he claims a data mining project was pitched but never happened. Or he is trying deflect the front organisation allegations by implying assertions that C4 appear not to have made. Presumably C4 want the blog item removed on grounds of misrepresentation.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

OK, so I had to read it. It's quite interesting. In response to their set of questions about allegations of Vote Leave setting up BeLeave as an illegal front organisation, it is Cumming, not Channel 4 who makes the links between Cambridge Analytica and a separate report that C4 did on CA and the Trump campaign. Cummings appears either to be getting his retaliation in first about communications between CA staff and VL that he expects C4 to reveal - he claims a data mining project was pitched but never happened. Or he is trying deflect the front organisation allegations by implying assertions that C4 appear not to have made. Presumably C4 want the blog item removed on grounds of misrepresentation.
    LDs not helping...

https://order-order.com/2018/03/23/ex-libdem-colleagues-raise-doubts-over-walter-mitty-observer-whistleblower/

• Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Luciana Berger
    ‏VERIFIED ACCOUNT @lucianaberger

The response from the Spokesperson is wholly inadequate. It fails to understand on any level the hurt and anguish felt about Antisemitism. I will be raising this further.

Berger Doubles down.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Have you read his blogs on the referendum itself ? Interesting level of detail and doesn't hold back on Mr Banks.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,275
    How likely is it that another Republican runs and wins? Surely the probable outcomes are a second Trump term or a Dem win? If so then the difference between the odds on Trump as next President and a Republican win appears to present a betting opportunity.
  • Options

Luciana Berger
    ‏VERIFIED ACCOUNT @lucianaberger

The response from the Spokesperson is wholly inadequate. It fails to understand on any level the hurt and anguish felt about Antisemitism. I will be raising this further.

Berger Doubles down.

She is right to pursue it.

My only question is to why it has taken her this long to raise it?
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Well it should bloody be decisive. His only defence that I can see (assuming it is him; and it seems to be him - the link goes to him
    You wo same as LB but she is supposed to be on Labours side.

Yep, this is true. Some people have spent many years pointing out that Corbyn happily ignores anti-Semitism and Jew-baiting, despite claiming to be opposed to all forms of racism. It's because these people genuinely are opposed to all forms of racism that they do this, of course.

You want Labour to lose seats though whilst Corbyn is leader.

Therefore Its a valid tactic to claim Corbyn happily ignores anti-Semitism and Jew-baiting if your goal is damage Labour LE Campaign.

I do not believe he has or does.

I am concentrating on getting rid of Tory Councillors. You are a distraction from that i am not going to change your mind so i will not attempt to do so.

I thought you would have learnt from the GE 2017, its policies that matter.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    "She admitted Leave.EU did not pay for the work"

:D:D:D:D
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Well it should bloody be decisive. His only defence that I can see (assuming it is him; and it seems to be him - the link goes to him

Therefore Its a valid tactic to claim Corbyn happily ignores anti-Semitism and Jew-baiting if your goal is damage Labour LE Campaign.

I am concentrating on getting rid of Tory Councillors. You are a distraction from that i am not going to change your mind so i will not attempt to do so.

Valid?

No, don't expect them to play fair though, they haven't for the last 2 years they won't as long as they can get away with it.

• Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Or at least Cummings knows what he is talking about. He does not give the appearence of somebody troubled by hidden truths yet to emerge.....
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

"It's policies that matter".

No biggy if in amongst, you get a bunch of anti-semites enacting those policies.

Your inability to see how toxic this looks appears either alamingly naive or distressingly complicit. Your conscience can decide which.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

I want an electable Labour party led by a committed anti-racist. If it takes Labour to lose seats in order for the party to learn that it is morally bankrupt and politically destructive to be led by someone who shares platforms with anti-Semites and calls Jew-baiters his friends while never challenging their views, then so be it.
  • Options

Therefore Its a valid tactic to claim Corbyn happily ignores anti-Semitism and Jew-baiting ...

Are you that blind that you cannot see the truth in Corbyn's actions over years when it comes to this topic? Are you blind to his connections with Hamas and Hezbollah that date back years?

I don't believe you are so naive as to believe the 'justifications' being spread by Corbyn fans. Which can only indicate that you share his views.

Corbyn won't quit if he fails to meet expectations about Labour's performance in May's local elections. Corbyn won't quit because of his refusal to acknowledge the scale of anti-semitism within the Labour movement.

But for the future of the Labour movement (and we need a viable left-of-centre opposition force in our political system), it is vital that those with Labour who find anti-semitism to be abhorrent that they continue to fight to ensure that those who hold such views are kicked out of Labour.

It is there. It is growing. And it is dangerous.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Not been a good week for the Observer - they seem to have bought a pup.

But determined to show it at Crufts nonetheless.....
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Valid?

No, don't expect them to play fair though, they haven't for the last 2 years they won't as long as they can get away with it.

What is unfair about drawing attention to Corbyn's consistent, long-standing unwillingness to call out anti-Semitism and Jew-baiting?

• Options

FF43 said:

Or at least Cummings knows what he is talking about. He does not give the appearence of somebody troubled by hidden truths yet to emerge.....
    I agree with you that Cummings doesn't appear to be troubled by truths yet to emerge.

Another thing. Cumming claims he was surprised to be given carte blanche by the Electoral Commission to exclude from their total allowable expenditure donations made by Vote Leave to a related organisation, BeLeave. He includes a letter from the Electoral Commission that doesn't support the claim he is making.
  • Options

Therefore Its a valid tactic to claim Corbyn happily ignores anti-Semitism and Jew-baiting ...

Are you that blind that you cannot see the truth in Corbyn's actions over years when it comes to this topic? Are you blind to his connections with Hamas and Hezbollah that date back years?

I don't believe you are so naive as to believe the 'justifications' being spread by Corbyn fans. Which can only indicate that you share his views.

Corbyn won't quit if he fails to meet expectations about Labour's performance in May's local elections. Corbyn won't quit because of his refusal to acknowledge the scale of anti-semitism within the Labour movement.

But for the future of the Labour movement (and we need a viable left-of-centre opposition force in our political system), it is vital that those with Labour who find anti-semitism to be abhorrent that they continue to fight to ensure that those who hold such views are kicked out of Labour.

You might be interested in this

https://antisemitism.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Antisemitism-Barometer-2017.pdf

Given the dangerous anti-Semitism levels in Labour what about the Conservatives?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:
    "She admitted Leave.EU did not pay for the work"

:D:D:D:D
    She is ratting because she was sacked over an unrelated matter "earlier this month," but it all turns out to be the fault of the phallocracy anyway - "Literally why should we make excuses for these people? Why? I’m so tired of making excuses for old white men.”
  • Options
    Mr. Z, white men are like Jews. You can be as abusive as you like and quite a lot of people won't care. See coverage of the Presidents' Club versus coverage of Telford.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

The released camera footage is ludicrously dark. The internet is now awash with videos of people driving down that same stretch of road and it is lit perfectly well - easily enough to see a person crossing the street in plenty of time.

In cricket they often go off for bad light even though it looks fine on the TV because the camera makes the playing area look lighter than it actually is.
    So you could well be right that the obverse might be true here !
    AIUI there were visible-light cameras, radar and LIDAR working together.

I really doubt all three of these failed to detect the obstruction. Instead, I'm guessing it will be in how these inputs are processed. It might be as 'simple' as LIDAR and visible-light cameras not detecting her, so the computers threw out the radar return as erroneous. Or that their system is not designed to cope with the sort of returns you get from someone pushing a bike.

We probably shouldn't get wound up by the sensors (though if it is them at fault, that's a humongous issue for everyone developing this tech); rather the real-time processing of that data.
    https://xkcd.com/1897/
  • Options

https://antisemitism.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Antisemitism-Barometer-2017.pdf

Given the dangerous anti-Semitism levels in Labour what about the Conservatives?
    If there were an extensive problem with anti-semitism in today's Conservative Party, then I am a little surprised that Labour has not pointed out the numerous examples.

Or perhaps Labour don't want others muscling in on their USP....
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995
    I am finding the broflakes' recent and feverish conversion to the cause of anti-semitism lacking in authenticity.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Valid?

What is unfair about drawing attention to Corbyn's consistent, long-standing unwillingness to call out anti-Semitism and Jew-baiting?

He has helped pass rules in the Labour party which toughen it beyond the standards of New Labour. Not that anti-semitism is what you and the New Labour lot actually care about, otherwise some of the issues raised which were before Corbyn or out of Corbyn's control would have been dealt with, or dealt with differently. They weren't though.

The problem is Labour doesn't have the centrist leader people like you and many in the media want. Unfortunately for people like you and many in the media many in the Labour party are quite frankly sick of centrism so even after 2 years of smears you guys are, quite rightly, even further away from coming back to power.

Quite frankly keep it up, even if you do manage to work hard enough to lose Labour the next election that is a few years of the Left building its strength, we will elect another left wing leader from a stronger position and go again.

• Options

If there were an extensive problem with anti-semitism in today's Conservative Party, then I am a little surprised that Labour has not pointed out the numerous examples.

Or perhaps Labour don't want others muscling in on their USP....
    Well, I don't want to come off as a conspiracy theorist here but the media is, you know, just a little biased.

It also doesn't help that Labour members are younger and thus more likely to air their views on Twitter. Basically the Conservatives anti-semites are probably ranting to smaller audiences.

Also according to the study it is actually the Conservatives unique selling point more than Labours... I realise the haha Labour are anti semitic is a good fun laugh but did you ever wonder about taking in all those UKIP members, taking a tougher line on migration...?

Plenty of good people in the above groups of course but anyone who thinks their own side is filled with angels is living in a bit of a fantasy land.
  • Options

He has helped pass rules in the Labour party which toughen it beyond the standards of New Labour. Not that anti-semitism is what you and the New Labour lot actually care about, otherwise some of the issues raised which were before Corbyn or out of Corbyn's control would have been dealt with, or dealt with differently. They weren't though.

The problem is Labour doesn't have the centrist leader people like you and many in the media want. Unfortunately for people like you and many in the media many in the Labour party are quite frankly sick of centrism so even after 2 years of smears you guys are, quite rightly, even further away from coming back to power.

Quite frankly keep it up, even if you do manage to work hard enough to lose Labour the next election that is a few years of the Left building its strength, we will elect another left wing leader from a stronger position and go again.

You don't think maybe you'd already have that stronger position - if only the current leadership gave a fuck about anti-semitism putting off those who might otherwise be well disposed to your ideals? Given how few votes were required last time to push the Tories out of Downing Street, do you not think that it might have already cost you power, clasping the anti-semites and holocaust deniers so close to your bosom?
  • Options

(Snip)

I've had my run-ins with SO in the past, but I think you're being very unfair to him with that. He's criticised Labour in the pre-Corbyn days plenty of times.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,329

RobD said:

RobD said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Valid?

Anything that might put voters off voting for Corbyn is by definition unfair.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995

Mr. Z, white men are like Jews. You can be as abusive as you like and quite a lot of people won't care. See coverage of the Presidents' Club versus coverage of Telford.

Yes, us white men have only had 2,000 years of cultural, political and economically entrenched privilege. It's not enough that the whole of Western civilisation is geared toward giving us a gilded passage through life now everyone has to be solicitous of our feelings as well?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    Re the US election, my view has always been that if the US economy was humming over nicely, then Trump would likely be re-elected. And if it were not, then he would struggle.

And, lo, the US economy is currently humming over nicely. However, the problem for Trump is that those gains are not being distributed as he would like.

The Rust Belt - where he flipped formerly Democratic seats - continues to struggle versus the Coasts and the South. I published 2017 GDP figures by state a few days ago, and the problem is that the nicely cooking economy is very warm in Los Angeles, balmy in Texas and the South, and still frigid in West Virginia. (Appalachian coal is - no surprises here - not making a come back.)

Looking at employment changes, you see a similar picture. The big percentage increases in the last year (Washington State, Nevada, California, Idaho, Texas, Utah - all which saw more than a 2.5% increase) are almost all "safe" for one party or another. (The only exception is Nevada, and I suspect the employment growth there was in Democrat heavy Cook County.)

The rust belt is almost entirely absent from the list of states with "statistically significant employment changes", with the exception of Ohio which dribbles out a 0.8% increase.

These mid-terms, I would almost completely ignore the results from most of the country. I want to see how the Republicans are performing in the Rust Belt.
  • Options
    Well I am more than a little cynical seen as there have been incidents raised or people criticised who were around before Corbyn became leader.

Although it doesn't seem to usually be the group involved aside from a lot of twitter noise I'd imagine the largest section of anti-semitism within the Labour party could come from some of our Muslim voters, who have been voting Labour for a while. The Idea that Corbyn or his rise has significantly altered or increased it seems unlikely. The internet has slowly become more of a mass communication tool though, with more and more people posting their thoughts on many subjects for everyone to see.

Combine this with the media looking for a negative story.

From what I've seen they get kicked out the party.

Also by strengthened position I meant internally, getting more positions within the party such as on the NEC.
This discussion has been closed.