Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The money starts to go on Biden for the nomination but I’m far

124»

Comments

• Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Mr. Ace, yep. I'm sure the white boys and girls raped in Rotherham were feeling privileged when the authorities turned a blind eye to their torment because they didn't want to appear culturally insensitive to the perpetrators.

And on that cheery note, I'm off.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,778
    rcs1000 said:

Re the US election, my view has always been that if the US economy was humming over nicely, then Trump would likely be re-elected. And if it were not, then he would struggle.

And, lo, the US economy is currently humming over nicely. However, the problem for Trump is that those gains are not being distributed as he would like.

The Rust Belt - where he flipped formerly Democratic seats - continues to struggle versus the Coasts and the South. I published 2017 GDP figures by state a few days ago, and the problem is that the nicely cooking economy is very warm in Los Angeles, balmy in Texas and the South, and still frigid in West Virginia. (Appalachian coal is - no surprises here - not making a come back.)

Looking at employment changes, you see a similar picture. The big percentage increases in the last year (Washington State, Nevada, California, Idaho, Texas, Utah - all which saw more than a 2.5% increase) are almost all "safe" for one party or another. (The only exception is Nevada, and I suspect the employment growth there was in Democrat heavy Cook County.)

The rust belt is almost entirely absent from the list of states with "statistically significant employment changes", with the exception of Ohio which dribbles out a 0.8% increase.

These mid-terms, I would almost completely ignore the results from most of the country. I want to see how the Republicans are performing in the Rust Belt.

And while I'm not someone to bang on about precedent on here, I would point out that four of the last five 'flips' from one party to the other in the White House followed economic slowdowns: Bush to Obama, Bush to Clinton, Carter to Reagan, Ford to Carter. Obama to Trump is the exception, and demonstrates just how terrible a candidate H Clinton was.

• RobD said:

RobD said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

OMG. Corbyn is going to have to come up with something spectacular to get out of this one:

https://twitter.com/lucianaberger/status/977183210051338241

No he won't. Corbyn is teflon. The Tories need to concentrate on developing a positive message and a campaign independent of attacking Corbyn. It doesn't work.
    The Teflon is gradually wearing away, but I agree this will not be decisive.
    Well it should bloody be decisive. His only defence that I can see (assuming it is him; and it seems to be him - the link goes to him
    The Corbyn defence of Too Stupid To Know.
    Why does LB bring up a 6 yr old post the day after Labour launch its Local Election Campaign?
    Not sure, but I don't think that is the biggest question here.
    You wo same as LB but she is supposed to be on Labours side.

Predictable TBF. The key Progress figures have done it every year since JC won the overwhelming backing of members.

Yep, this is true. Some people have spent many years pointing out that Corbyn happily ignores anti-Semitism and Jew-baiting, despite claiming to be opposed to all forms of racism. It's because these people genuinely are opposed to all forms of racism that they do this, of course.

You want Labour to lose seats though whilst Corbyn is leader.

Therefore Its a valid tactic to claim Corbyn happily ignores anti-Semitism and Jew-baiting if your goal is damage Labour LE Campaign.

I do not believe he has or does.

I am concentrating on getting rid of Tory Councillors. You are a distraction from that i am not going to change your mind so i will not attempt to do so.

I thought you would have learnt from the GE 2017, its policies that matter.
    Valid?

No, don't expect them to play fair though, they haven't for the last 2 years they won't as long as they can get away with it.

What is unfair about drawing attention to Corbyn's consistent, long-standing unwillingness to call out anti-Semitism and Jew-baiting?

Anything that might put voters off voting for Corbyn is by definition unfair.
    https://twitter.com/hugorifkind/status/977242613391773696
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,547
    Ishmael_Z said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:
    "She admitted Leave.EU did not pay for the work"

:D:D:D:D
    She is ratting because she was sacked over an unrelated matter "earlier this month," but it all turns out to be the fault of the phallocracy anyway - "Literally why should we make excuses for these people? Why? I’m so tired of making excuses for old white men.”
    Unless she is lying now, it looks like Leave.EU got cold feet about this analysis. There are some interesting potential data protection implications for both Leave.EU and Cambridge Analytica that wouldn't disappear simply because L.EU didn't pay CA.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,095
    edited March 2018
    Hence my earlier post. It is possible to back both the Dems and Trump to win in 2020 with a guaranteed profit if either happens. The probability of a non-Trump Republican win appears over-estimated to me.
  • oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

Therefore Its a valid tactic to claim Corbyn happily ignores anti-Semitism and Jew-baiting ...

Are you that blind that you cannot see the truth in Corbyn's actions over years when it comes to this topic? Are you blind to his connections with Hamas and Hezbollah that date back years?

I don't believe you are so naive as to believe the 'justifications' being spread by Corbyn fans. Which can only indicate that you share his views.

Corbyn won't quit if he fails to meet expectations about Labour's performance in May's local elections. Corbyn won't quit because of his refusal to acknowledge the scale of anti-semitism within the Labour movement.

But for the future of the Labour movement (and we need a viable left-of-centre opposition force in our political system), it is vital that those with Labour who find anti-semitism to be abhorrent that they continue to fight to ensure that those who hold such views are kicked out of Labour.

It is there. It is growing. And it is dangerous.
    You might be interested in this

https://antisemitism.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Antisemitism-Barometer-2017.pdf

Given the dangerous anti-Semitism levels in Labour what about the Conservatives?
    Page 19 of that seems to back up what I was saying. The inability or refusal of the Labour leadership to tackle this issue is seen as a big problem. Are other parties perfect? Far from it. But Labour has a leader with a track record that attracts the most criticism.

Given that the former Chief Rabbi is on record this month as saying that he does not want to sit down with Corbyn because Labour's refusal to tackle the issue properly - then there is a problem.

There is no getting away from it. Corbyn's stance on this subject is why it keeps coming back and back and back.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/977248928021262336

He should launch a leadership challenge...
  • BBC - Porton Down CEO says there is 'no way' they could be linked to the poisoning of Skripal as alleged by Russia. He went on to say the Russian allegations were 'frustrating' as they allowed the BBC into the facility.

Public Health England says people who had been in the Mill pub and Zizzi restaurant on Sunday and Monday wearing clothing only to be dry cleaned need to have the clothing destroyed. They said they should call the council and will be compensated.

They went on to say there was a small risk that the nerve agent could still be present in minute amounts and therefore it could impregnate the skin.

That last comment must be worrying
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,778
    They don't serve Boston Irish? I'm confused.
    Scott_P said:
    One way to distract attention from a mural

Perhaps it is noteworthy that Trump and Corbyn both have problems with walls...
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    FF43 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:
    "She admitted Leave.EU did not pay for the work"

:D:D:D:D
    She is ratting because she was sacked over an unrelated matter "earlier this month," but it all turns out to be the fault of the phallocracy anyway - "Literally why should we make excuses for these people? Why? I’m so tired of making excuses for old white men.”
    Unless she is lying now, it looks like Leave.EU got cold feet about this analysis. There are some interesting potential data protection implications for both Leave.EU and Cambridge Analytica that wouldn't disappear simply because L.EU didn't pay CA.
    Did you read the document Cummings attached that contains the pitch he received from Christopher Wylie? It has quite a lot of detail and the strategic advice looks very familiar.

https://dominiccummings.files.wordpress.com/2018/03/vote-leave-campaign-pilot-memo-final.pdf
  • TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    edited March 2018

Therefore Its a valid tactic to claim Corbyn happily ignores anti-Semitism and Jew-baiting ...

Are you that blind that you cannot see the truth in Corbyn's actions over years when it comes to this topic? Are you blind to his connections with Hamas and Hezbollah that date back years?

I don't believe you are so naive as to believe the 'justifications' being spread by Corbyn fans. Which can only indicate that you share his views.

Corbyn won't quit if he fails to meet expectations about Labour's performance in May's local elections. Corbyn won't quit because of his refusal to acknowledge the scale of anti-semitism within the Labour movement.

But for the future of the Labour movement (and we need a viable left-of-centre opposition force in our political system), it is vital that those with Labour who find anti-semitism to be abhorrent that they continue to fight to ensure that those who hold such views are kicked out of Labour.

https://antisemitism.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Antisemitism-Barometer-2017.pdf

Given the dangerous anti-Semitism levels in Labour what about the Conservatives?
    Page 19 of that seems to back up what I was saying. The inability or refusal of the Labour leadership to tackle this issue is seen as a big problem. Are other parties perfect? Far from it. But Labour has a leader with a track record that attracts the most criticism.

Given that the former Chief Rabbi is on record this month as saying that he does not want to sit down with Corbyn because Labour's refusal to tackle the issue properly - then there is a problem.

There is no getting away from it. Corbyn's stance on this subject is why it keeps coming back and back and back.
    Considering the results indicate a worse perception but actually less anti-semitism in the party I would say the media have done their job well.

Considering Corbyn backed and helped pass the rules suggested to him for dealing with racism then I'm not sure what else they want him to do...

Well actually I think I do, Labour are not going to be bullied into supporting the destruction of Palestine, as much as people will shout anti-Semite because we won't support Israels treatment of them that is something I believe is worth suffering to do the right thing.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @wesstreeting: If only antisemites were dealt with as swiftly and severely as Remainers. https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/977248852230090752
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,414
    Wow, Owen Smith sacked.

Watershed moment?
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Dura_Ace said:

Mr. Z, white men are like Jews. You can be as abusive as you like and quite a lot of people won't care. See coverage of the Presidents' Club versus coverage of Telford.

Yes, us white men have only had 2,000 years of cultural, political and economically entrenched privilege. It's not enough that the whole of Western civilisation is geared toward giving us a gilded passage through life now everyone has to be solicitous of our feelings as well?
    I don’t have time to take apart the sheer ahistorical idiocy of this comment, but hopefully someone else can.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,963

If there were an extensive problem with anti-semitism in today's Conservative Party, then I am a little surprised that Labour has not pointed out the numerous examples.

Or perhaps Labour don't want others muscling in on their USP....
    Well, I don't want to come off as a conspiracy theorist here but the media is, you know, just a little biased.

It also doesn't help that Labour members are younger and thus more likely to air their views on Twitter. Basically the Conservatives anti-semites are probably ranting to smaller audiences.

Also according to the study it is actually the Conservatives unique selling point more than Labours... I realise the haha Labour are anti semitic is a good fun laugh but did you ever wonder about taking in all those UKIP members, taking a tougher line on migration...?

Plenty of good people in the above groups of course but anyone who thinks their own side is filled with angels is living in a bit of a fantasy land.
    Altrnatively, you have no evidence of anti-semitism being a problem in the Conservative Party, but are happy to fling shit as a distraction.....
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    If the moderates don't use this as the trigger for setting up a new party, they never will.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Scott_P said:

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/977248928021262336

He should launch a leadership challenge...

Free ice-cream for all?
    Scott_P said:
    Dissent will not be tolerated in Corbynistan.
  • If the moderates don't use this as the trigger for setting up a new party, they never will.

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/977250569336344576

more likely to have a female labour leader than that happen...

Considering the results indicate a worse perception but actually less anti-semitism in the party I would say the media have done their job well.

Considering Corbyn backed and helped pass the rules suggested to him for dealing with racism then I'm not sure what else they want him to do...

Well actually I think I do, Labour are not going to be bullied into supporting the destruction of Palestine, as much as people will shout anti-Semite because we won't support Israels treatment of them that is something I believe is worth suffering to do the right thing.
    You are wilfully misreading what is being said on this thread.

No-one is saying that Labour as a whole is anti-semitic. Or that even the majority of members hold such views. No-one is actually saying that Corbyn is - himself - anti-semitic. But he has allied himself with many who are and not condemned them.

It is patently clear that Corbyn has not tackled the subject with the seriousness it deserves. Or do you disagree with Rabbi Sacks?

There is no point in passing rules if you don't then have the will to enforce them.

You are saying that it is the media that has painted a picture of Corbyn being weak on this topic. You are wrong. Such a 'perception' can only take hold because of the underlying truth.

• kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408

Wow, Owen Smith sacked.

Watershed moment?

Well, never rule something out, but why would it be? He's sacked people before and faced resignations before. I guess maybe the reason might be a little different, but frankly if people who really want a second referendum want to back a party which supports that, it already exists.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Dura_Ace said:

Mr. Z, white men are like Jews. You can be as abusive as you like and quite a lot of people won't care. See coverage of the Presidents' Club versus coverage of Telford.

Yes, us white men have only had 2,000 years of cultural, political and economically entrenched privilege. It's not enough that the whole of Western civilisation is geared toward giving us a gilded passage through life now everyone has to be solicitous of our feelings as well?
    2000 years? Where are you getting that?
  • TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840

If there were an extensive problem with anti-semitism in today's Conservative Party, then I am a little surprised that Labour has not pointed out the numerous examples.

Well, I don't want to come off as a conspiracy theorist here but the media is, you know, just a little biased.

It also doesn't help that Labour members are younger and thus more likely to air their views on Twitter. Basically the Conservatives anti-semites are probably ranting to smaller audiences.

Also according to the study it is actually the Conservatives unique selling point more than Labours... I realise the haha Labour are anti semitic is a good fun laugh but did you ever wonder about taking in all those UKIP members, taking a tougher line on migration...?

Plenty of good people in the above groups of course but anyone who thinks their own side is filled with angels is living in a bit of a fantasy land.
    Altrnatively, you have no evidence of anti-semitism being a problem in the Conservative Party, but are happy to fling shit as a distraction.....
    I did put up a link.

40% of Cons endorsed 1 anti-semitic statement.
    32% of Labour endorsed 1 anti-semitic statement.

Quite frankly I'd assume the Conservatives are more anti Arabic than anti-Jewish, which as I understand can also come under anti-semitic.

I did put up a link.

Quite frankly I'd assume the Conservatives are more anti Arabic than anti-Jewish, which as I understand can also come under anti-semitic.
    This isn't about the membership of either party as such. It is about the attitudes of the leadership.
  • Gareth Southgate must have been taught by Ms. Abbott - we're playing 3 full backs???? Trippier, Rose and Walker...
    edited March 2018

Gareth Southgate must have been taught by Ms. Abbott - we're playing 3 full backs???? Trippier, Rose and Walker...

Hopefully unlike Stuart Pearce he has remembered a goalkeeper...

He has actually picked 4 full backs, Gomez is also selected.

No Dier, Dele Ali, or Vardy...hmmm.
    edited March 2018
    Dura_Ace said:

Leaving aside the question of what the current situation actually is, there are more options on the table than retaining a gilded passage and abuse, and it is very silly and infantile to paint a picture which requires it be one or the other.
    Dura_Ace said:

I am finding the broflakes' recent and feverish conversion to the cause of anti-semitism lacking in authenticity.

What's recent about it?

I do like 'broflakes' though. I'm a fan of using snowflake and its variants apolitically, since it crosses the left and right.
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,879

RobD said:

RobD said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

No he won't. Corbyn is teflon. The Tories need to concentrate on developing a positive message and a campaign independent of attacking Corbyn. It doesn't work.
    The Teflon is gradually wearing away, but I agree this will not be decisive.
    Well it should bloody be decisive. His only defence that I can see (assuming it is him; and it seems to be him - the link goes to him
    The Corbyn defence of Too Stupid To Know.
    Why does LB bring up a 6 yr old post the day after Labour launch its Local Election Campaign?
    Not sure, but I don't think that is the biggest question here.
    You wo same as LB but she is supposed to be on Labours side.

Predictable TBF. The key Progress figures have done it every year since JC won the overwhelming backing of members.

Valid?

No, it.

What is -baiting?

He has helped pass rules in the Labour party which toughen it beyond the standards of New Labour. Not that anti-semitism is what you and the New Labour lot actually care about, otherwise some of the issues raised which were before Corbyn or out of Corbyn's control would have been dealt with, or dealt with differently. They weren't though.

The problem is Labour doesn't have the centrist leader people like you and many in the media want. Unfortunately for people like you and many in the media many in the Labour party are quite frankly sick of centrism so even after 2 years of smears you guys are, quite rightly, even further away from coming back to power.

Quite frankly keep it up, even if you do manage to work hard enough to lose Labour the next election that is a few years of the Left building its strength, we will elect another left wing leader from a stronger position and go again.

I have no problem with the Labour party having a left wing leader. I do have a problem with Labour having a leader who has no issue with anti-Semites and Jew-baiters. I understand that this is not a problem for you, though.

• Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited March 2018

Gareth Southgate must have been taught by Ms. Abbott - we're playing 3 full backs???? Trippier, Rose and Walker...

Hopefully unlike Stuart Pearce he has remembered a goalkeeper...

He has actually picked 4 full backs, Gomez is also selected.
    Doh!!! Liverpool and Defender = venn diagram of 0 0
  • nielhnielh Posts: 1,307

If the moderates don't use this as the trigger for setting up a new party, they never will.

They never will
    Scott_P said:
    I have no way of knowing whether that is satirically intended or not.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,590
    Scott_P said:
    This seems pretty well unanswerable.

Wouldn't that be a turnup for the books, the sacking of Owen Smith being Corbyn's Mugabe moment?* Sacking rebels is permissable though of course, and if they cared about the other stuff enough to act from without rather than from within (or fail to act) then they would have.

*I stress I am not saying Corbyn is comparable to Mugabe, just using the analogy of sacking a particular person finally going too far in the eyes of those who matter)
    glw said:
    Perhaps he is, though it often seems somebody can spontaneously become 'widely respected' depending on who they fall afoul of.
  • I see Jez is another politician determined to ruin date night for me.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697
    edited March 2018
    I saw that Jezza has sacked someone called Owen Smith and I thought to myself...

Owen Who? :D
    Corbyn truly is the British Trump.

I see Jez is another politician determined to ruin date night for me.

Boris causing a ruckus at the next table over?
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    Extraordinary to think that none of this would ever have happened if back in 2015 a handful of Lab MPs hadn't nominated Corbyn in the last few minutes before the noon deadline "just for a bit of fun" in order to "have a full debate".
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,590

Is that not, literally, whataboutery ?
    edited March 2018
    MikeL said:

Extraordinary to think that none of this would ever have happened if back in 2015 a handful of Lab MPs hadn't nominated Corbyn in the last few minutes before the noon deadline "just for a bit of fun" in order to "have a full debate".

I've certainly seen it said it was for a full debate, did anyone really say they did it for a bit of fun?!
    If Corbyn wants to go full Trump he should appoint a well-known National Security Advisor.
    https://twitter.com/ScargillArthur/status/976914600083017728
    Scott_P said:
    Interesting choice of the term 'Stalinist' there from Hain...
    Is it ok to admit I had no idea Owen Smith was in the Shadow Cabinet? (In fairness I had forgotten Brokenshire was no longer NI Secretary too- although I know who the Chair of the NI affairs select committee is, since he is my MP)
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,184
    GIN1138 said:

I saw that Jezza has sacked someone called Owen Smith and I thought to myself...

Owen Who? :D

I had honestly forgotten about him already. I thought 'but surely it's not within his gift to sack Owen Jones'.

I'm also vaguely perturbed Arthur Scargill is still on the scene.

If Corbyn wants to go full Trump he should appoint a well-known National Security Advisor.

I could have sworn he was already dead.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,004
    edited March 2018
    You have to question the integrity of the labour moderates if they continue to sit behind Corbyn on the green benches. Mind you I am not holding my breath on the evidence to date.

What a gift to TM. She has had the best two weeks of her Premiership

I did put up a link.

Did you actually RTFA

'his means that the Labour Party has fallen out of step with its core supporters, who are generally less likely to hold antisemitic beliefs. '

For two years, more than 4 in 5 British Jews have considered the Labour Party to be harbouring antisemites in its ranks. The level of criticism of the Labour Party stood out starkly against that levelled at other parties, however, over 40% of British Jews also consistently considered the UK Independence Party and the Green Party to be deficient in tackling antisemites in their ranks. Similarly, over 30% consistently criticised the Liberal Democrat Party and the Scottish National Party.

You have to question the integrity of the labour moderates if they continue to sit behind Corbyn on the green benches. Mind you I am not holding my breath on the evidence to date.

Let's hope it is not the only good two weeks, for the sake of the country's governance.
  • Spare a thought for David Herdson.

Sacking someone on a Friday night really isn't good for writing threads to be published on Saturday morning.

I could have sworn he was already dead.
    Apparently he is the leader of (very minor) the Socialist Labour Party (UK)
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    kle4 said:

MikeL said:

I've certainly seen it said it was for a full debate, did anyone really say they did it for a bit of fun?!
    No - that was my phrase!

You're quite right - they did say it was for a full debate - my point was that they all thought what they were doing was of no consequence.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,719
    edited March 2018

No that is Farage or Boris, Corbyn is the British Sanders .

Though Corbyn like Trump demands absolute loyalty for his core agenda, in Corbyn's case that includes backing Brexit and in Trump's case 'America First'
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    The centrists will huff and puff.

It’s up to Unite to decide that Corbyn has outlived his usefulness.
    Ironically, centrists must be wishing for an underperformance in the locals - fat chance!
  • Scott_P said:
    Interesting choice of the term 'Stalinist' there from Hain...
    Newsnight's hat confused him...
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,004
    edited March 2018
    kle4 said:

Let's hope it is not the only good two weeks, for the sake of the country's governance.
    I think she demonstrating a new found confidence and a remarkable success in the EU.

I do hope that the obvious respect she has among EU leaders foretells that a good deal for both the UK and the EU will emerge in the next 6 months. Not much talk of her successor these days
    Daniel Finkelstein

For those Corbynites suggesting the image isn’t antisemitic, Mr Corbyn’s office acknowledges that it is. So you have dispensation on this occasion not to defend grotesque racism.
    MikeL said:

kle4 said:

MikeL said:

No - that was my phrase!

You're quite right - they did say it was for a full debate - my point was that they all thought what they were doing was of no consequence.
    Sorry, the quote marks confused me there! I know it has been argued that opening it up was a good thing, and the mass support he received and still receives shows that, but fundamentally if that was what the party had wanted from a leadership process it would not have had included such provisions in the first place. Sure he has cowed the moderates in the PLP now, and still has genuine support, but surely even Corbyn would agree his job as LOTO is easier when the MPs are not being actively disruptive, hence the screening process being part of the requirement.
    HYUFD said:

Though Corbyn like Trump demands absolute loyalty for his core agenda, in Corbyn's case that includes backing Brexit and in Trump's case 'America First'
    Sanders isn't a defender of anti-semites, and I expect doesn't have much time for Putin.

Corbyn=Trump.

kle4 said:

I think she demonstrating a new found confidence and a remarkable success in the EU.

I do hope that the obvious respect she has among EU leaders fore tells that a good deal for both the UK and the EU will emerge in the next 6 months. Not much talk of her successor these days
    We'll get the best deal going: EU membership.

May staying for the full EU Council meeting and talking about working with her "fellow EU leaders" sends a pretty strong signal about where she wants us to be.

Daniel Finkelstein

For those Corbynites suggesting the image isn’t antisemitic, Mr Corbyn’s office acknowledges that it is. So you have dispensation on this occasion not to defend grotesque racism.

Kind of like the whole Brown/Duffy incident -whether or not she was indeed bigoted, Brown apologised and said she wasn't, so it made defending his remarks as essentially true hard, but people did.

kle4 said:

I do hope that the obvious respect she has among EU leaders fore tells that a good deal for both the UK and the EU will emerge in the next 6 months. Not much talk of her successor these days

May staying for the full EU Council meeting and talking about working with her "fellow EU leaders" sends a pretty strong signal about where she wants us to be.
    Well, has she ever actually said she was wrong to support remain in the ref? Because if she hasn't then her position all along has been she thinks it would be better if we stayed, but that politically and democratically that is infeasible.
  • steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    Labour moderates will take to twitter to express their outrage over Smith's sacking but that will be the extent of their protest. None of them have it in them to do the difficult bit.
  • kle4 said:

I will settle for a fair Associate membership
    Dura_Ace said:

I am finding the broflakes' recent and feverish conversion to the cause of anti-semitism lacking in authenticity.

I don't think that to claim without a shred of evidence that a person expressing disapproval of anti-semitism is a "recent convert" from (presumably) being an anti-semite is remotely acceptable.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,719
    edited March 2018

HYUFD said:

Sanders isn't a defender of anti-semites, and I expect doesn't have much time for Putin.

Corbyn=Trump.
    http://www.dailyleak.org/2015/10/putin-hands-bernie-sanders-his-first-foreign-endorsement/

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/Articles/Article.aspx/18726
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Scott_P said:
    Will this search find Cummings email telling them to piss off ?
  • John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Ishmael_Z said:

Dura_Ace said:

I don't think that to claim without a shred of evidence that a person expressing disapproval of anti-semitism is a "recent convert" from (presumably) being an anti-semite is remotely acceptable.
    It can't be easy for him. Every day someone comes along and pisses in Dura's cornflakes.
  • NEW THREAD

Dow Jones and Nasdaq plummeting like a pair of paralyzed falcons, again. Facebook in the shit + China trade war = perfect storm.

On Cambridge Analytica, with so much jiggery pokery going on I'm surprised the timing has been Get search warrant -> announce grant of search warrant -> search, rather than get search warrant by private and secret application -> search (for which there is a perfectly good procedure - called an Anton Piller order when I were a lad).
This discussion has been closed.