Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Coporeal on the LSE polling seminar

SystemSystem Posts: 11,682
edited September 2013 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Coporeal on the LSE polling seminar

A couple of days ago I was lucky enough (genuinely) to attend (sneak into the back of) a polling seminar hosted at the LSE featuring professional pollsters, academics, and a few assorted others like Mike (also complimentary wine).

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Morning all and meanwhile back in the real world George Osborne sells just 6% of our stake in Lloyds to bring in £3.2 billion. Thank goodness he is the chancellor and not someone who claims to live in the Liverpool area with so little to do he is rapidly heading for 10,000 posts on here.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    One has to note that none of these second tier organizations match up to the wonder of my ARSE.

A seminar of the also rans seems a wee bit of a waste of breath, somewhat like asking any other PBer than Andrea to provide breaking political news on the site - futile !!

The ARSE - Never Knowingly Undersold.
  • Options

Morning all and meanwhile back in the real world George Osborne sells just 6% of our stake in Lloyds to bring in £3.2 billion. Thank goodness he is the chancellor and not someone who claims to live in the Liverpool area with so little to do he is rapidly heading for 10,000 posts on here.

Hey ho Younger of Easterross

BTW are you our most northerly UK poster ??

However back to Lloyds, clearly it's good news that the bank is coming to a position of full privatization but I was surprised the taxpayer didn't earn 80p a share when the demand from the institutions was so solid.

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

...who claims to live in the Liverpool area with so little to do he is rapidly heading for 10,000 posts on here.

Are we still running the 10,000 timing sweepstake?

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    tim said:

GeoffM said:

...who claims to live in the Liverpool area with so little to do he is rapidly heading for 10,000 posts on here.

I'll buy a ticket, what's the prize?
    A night out with Dave and SamCam, I know you'll want to be there,
  • Options
    O/.T slightly and FPT.. What will be the "Look Rabbit" distraction meme today..
  • Options
    JackW said:

One has to note that none of these second tier organizations match up to the wonder of my ARSE.

A seminar of the also rans seems a wee bit of a waste of breath, somewhat like asking any other PBer than Andrea to provide breaking political news on the site - futile !!

The ARSE - Never Knowingly Undersold.

well said my noble kinsman
  • Options
    tim said:

GeoffM said:

I'll buy a ticket, what's the prize?
    The promise of some well earned silence from Cheshire farmers !!

• Options
    Could someone please explain to the Liverpool farmer/wine-salesman/whatever he really is that I do not correspond with or speak to those to whom I am indifferent.
  • Options
    what is it with the name tim...

Tory education news‏@toryeducation14h
    .@timloughton You babbling muppet, you never had judgement worth a damn
  • Options
    Have been in Barcelona for the last couple of days. The headline in all the papers here this morning is the warning to Catalonia from the vice-president of the European Commission that a secession from an EU member state automatically means leaving the EU. I wonder if this will be picked up in Scotland.
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited September 2013
    Off-topic:

Is Ozzie selling "6% of our [sic] stake" or a 6% of shares within the Lloyds Group PLC? I think it is the latter but I also possess an understanding of basic English, Maths and Economics; others may not....

On-topic (Addendum):
    To be specific it was hosted somewhere in the depths of an especially labyrinthine and oddly signposted LSE building that left attendees wandering the corridors in search of rescue.</blockquote?

Hee-hee-he:

The LSE has always been a nightmare. Climbing over roofs to go to a coffee-shop for refreshments (paid for by a stunning Chino-Malaysian lady) one day and getting lost the next. Memories. Sadly the LSE fails most UGs and does not try hard enough at true research....
  • Options

Have been in Barcelona for the last couple of days. The headline in all the papers here this morning is the warning to Catalonia from the vice-president of the European Commission that a secession from an EU member state automatically means leaving the EU. I wonder if this will be picked up in Scotland.

Even if it was, would it make any difference ? Salmond will still say everyone in the EU will throw out the red carpet for him and anyone pointing out what re-applying means ( currency, loss of rebate ) will be told they're an agent of Project Fear.
  • Options
    Feck me, Danny Alexander getting savaged by Eamonn Holmes. How bad do you have to be to let that happen?
  • Options

Strange story, why is the EU Competition Commissioner (a vice-president, not the vice-president - the EU seems to use the word in the same way American companies do) pronouncing on constitutional issues like this?

Isn't it just a Spanish politician agreeing with his own party's line?
  • Options

Even if it was, would it make any difference ? Salmond will still say everyone in the EU will throw out the red carpet for him and anyone pointing out what re-applying means ( currency, loss of rebate ) will be told they're an agent of Project Fear.
    "Last night, a Scottish Government spokesperson said: “Scotland is already part of the territory of the European Union and the people of Scotland are citizens of the EU – as legal, constitutional and European experts have confirmed, there is no mechanism for this status being removed, and as such an independent Scotland will continue in EU membership."

I think they may find leaving the UK is the mechanism:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/catalan-eu-claim-may-impact-on-scots-independence-1-3096498
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

For those wondering I've decided against the 3.5 for Mercedes to top score in Singapore. Far too near the edge. If you think Hamilton will get the win (almost, but not quite, a prerequisite for the top score bet to come off) then the 4.5 on that looks better than the 3.5 for Mercedes (not that I'm backing either).

Mr. Corporeal, sadly that final prediction seems entirely realistic.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    FPT
    Charles said:

MrJones said:

Grandiose said:

'I've been absolutely determined to get that money back for taxpayers and pay down debt, that is what we've started to do today'

The government has started to get that back for taxpayers and use it to pay down debt. Nothing incorrect about that.

Loss 1: taxpayer buying worthless shares for far more than they were worth
    Loss 2: taxpayer paying to make those worthless shares worth something again through ZIRP, QE and all the other economic policies designed to pay off the banksta's gambling debts
    Loss 3: taxpayer will eventually pay for a sweetener to ensure success of a future flotation

The taxpayer will only ever get back part of loss 2.
    You forgot:Loss 4: funding a annual supply of tin foil hats for MrJones
    http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/boys-quizzed-over-500-rapes-a-year-by-gangs-8335165.html

• Options
    edited September 2013
    First McARSE Scottish Independence Referendum Projection :

Countdown - I Day 1 Hour 1 minute
  • Options

"Last night, a Scottish Government spokesperson said: “Scotland is already part of the territory of the European Union and the people of Scotland are citizens of the EU – as legal, constitutional and European experts have confirmed, there is no mechanism for this status being removed, and as such an independent Scotland will continue in EU membership."

I think they may find leaving the UK is the mechanism:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/catalan-eu-claim-may-impact-on-scots-independence-1-3096498
    I particularly have don't have a dog in the Scottish independence fight but I don't see why anybody would care what this particular commissioner says he thinks. It's not his area of responsibility, and he clearly isn't a disinterested observer.
  • Options
    Eamonn Holmes was trying to point out the fact that people can live in big houses and not be wealthy. Taxation based on the politics of envy is bad taxation. It rewards the feckless who don't struggle to save for a comfortable later life. Time to abolish NI, Inheritance and other such taxes and simply tax income/spending.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523

I'm not sure there's an actual disagreement of principle here. I think most people agree you can wear what you like, with specific practical exceptions.

The issue here is whether there needs to be a practical exception that you have to show your face in court. That's a question about how courts make decisions, not a question of principle about the veil. Different courts seem to have come up with various different conclusions about that. Apparently this is also true of Islamic courts, with some saying they need to see your face and others saying they don't.

If you read the judgement in this case it's quite a good summary, although in practical terms he ends up with what seems like the worst of both worlds, which is that the suspect has to show her face, but only if she gives evidence, which she doesn't have to do.

Sure, under normal circumstances most people agree on the principle - wear what you like with specific exceptions judged on the basis of what is generally agreed to be reasonable.

Disagreement arises when that generally accepted principle conflicts with PC and multicultists start twisting themselves in knots.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,335
    Interesting, piece, thanks! Two points. Corporeal has, I think, no police connections so should not be called Coporeal (first line). More substantively, I think I'm right in saying that the election period itself normally produces almost no changes in the Lab/Con relative position - the big parties are already well-known and people know what they think about them. Not sure about the LibDems - we remember the Cleggasm in the polls during the campaign, but was the final result after the campaign very different to the pre-campaign polls?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    @Easterross

"Could someone please explain to the Liverpool farmer/wine-salesman/whatever he really is that I do not correspond with or speak to those to whom I am indifferent. "

Pompous oaf.
  • Options
    woger.. very funny..we all know the Cheshire Farmer is a wannabe Tory ..Country Manor and vast wine cellar, etc, but he is not pompous..
  • Options
    Why does every thread have to degenerate into petty abuse? It makes coming here pointless at times.
  • Options

More substantively, I think I'm right in saying that the election period itself normally produces almost no changes in the Lab/Con relative position - the big parties are already well-known and people know what they think about them.

Looking at the past few elections trying to confirm or refute that I think we can safely say... absolutely nothing. I think you can say the polling a while before the election predicts the election reasonably well, but only on a very elastic and self-contradictory definition of "a while before the election"...

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/voting-intention-2005-2010
    http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/historical-polls/voting-intention-2001-2005
    http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/historical-polls/voting-intention-1997-2001
  • Options

Why does every thread have to degenerate into petty abuse? It makes coming here pointless at times.

I'm afraid it's just the lull in the news cycle. The LDs aren't pulling each other apart, Labour have no policies worth discussing and the Tories are happy now that the SE is heading back to boom times. So it appears it's personality blogging until something shows up.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited September 2013
    PB's finest (TFS)

"Why does every thread have to degenerate into petty abuse? It makes coming here pointless at times."

The reason why it's still worth coming on is because the interesting posters still outnumber the abusive ones (particularly if Sean isn't around) by about four to one.
  • Options

More substantively, I think I'm right in saying that the election period itself normally produces almost no changes in the Lab/Con relative position - the big parties are already well-known and people know what they think about them.

Looking at the past few elections trying to confirm or refute that I think we can safely say... absolutely nothing. I think you can say the polling a while before the election predicts the election reasonably well, but only on a very elastic and self-contradictory definition of "a while before the election"...

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/voting-intention-2005-2010
    http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/historical-polls/voting-intention-2001-2005
    http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/historical-polls/voting-intention-1997-2001
    Thinking about this some more maybe a fairly robust conclusion (albeit on this teensy-weensy sample of three) is that neither government nor opposition out-performs its best mid-term to late-term polling.
  • Options

Strange story, why is the EU Competition Commissioner (a vice-president, not the vice-president - the EU seems to use the word in the same way American companies do) pronouncing on constitutional issues like this?

I don't think it's his party - I think he's from PSOE. He was actually very critical of the Spanish government too. It's wall to wall coverage here. They seem to believe he was stating the official Commission line. The headline in El Periodico, for example, is "Cold shower from Europe - the Commission reiterates to Catalonia that leaving Spain means being outside the EU".

• Options

Could someone please explain to the Liverpool farmer/wine-salesman/whatever he really is that I do not correspond with or speak to those to whom I am indifferent.

Lol.

'Ask your father to pass the salt.'

• Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    Why on earth would any tory MPs not trust the incompetent fop on delivering on an EU referendum?
    Tory MP calls for EU referendum now, saying public do not trust Cameron

David Cameron should give the British people a referendum on membership of the European Union before the next election because voters do not trust his promise to give them one later, a Conservative MP has said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/10309785/Tory-MP-calls-for-EU-referendum-now-saying-public-do-not-trust-Cameron.html
    Doesn't he know that tory backbenchers and inept tory spinners are the most gullible people in the world?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1JReyGsdOA

*chortle*
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Warms the cockles of my heart

ike Smithson @MSmithsonPB
    Today's YouGov sees LAB lead down to 3
    Con 34%
    Lab 37%
    LD 10%
    UKIP 12%
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited September 2013

I don't think it's his party - I think he's from PSOE. He was actually very critical of the Spanish government too. It's wall to wall coverage here. They seem to believe he was stating the official Commission line. The headline in El Periodico, for example, is "Cold shower from Europe - the Commission reiterates to Catalonia that leaving Spain means being outside the EU".

It's revealing that the SNP clings to the European Union so childishly. They obviously regard Scotland as too wee , too poor and too stupid to fend for itself. The whole SNP independence stance is at bottom a fraud.

• Options
    Miss DiCanio, it is perplexing.

'London rule' is seen as awful (despite 2/3 of the most recent Chancellors and 1/3 or 2/3 [depending on how you view Blair] of the most recent PMs being Scottish), whereas 'Brussels rule' is seen as lovely and splendid.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    edited September 2013

OK, it looks like the Spanish media started asking the Commission if they agreed with the Competition Commisioner, and a spokesman said something that probably means they do, although they won't provide a proper legal opinion unless a member state asks for one:
    http://www.euractiv.com/video/brussels-independent-catalonia-n-530496

If nobody else is going to ask for an opinion it feels like something the UK government should do, since it seems like a useful information for the British (for now) voters who will be voting on independence.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,303

Because

a) the referendum is still a year away and is in any case a foregone conclusion
    b) the polls move by +/- 1pt each time evoking a tremendous sense of ennui
    c) the only questions are:
    1) what will the Lab=>LD switchers do in 2015?
    2) how many kippers will "return" to the Cons in 2015?

And that's it until May 2015. And there's only so much we can rehearse those arguments/points.

So it gets personal.

ps. F**k off

:)
  • Options

Eamonn Holmes was trying to point out the fact that people can live in big houses and not be wealthy. Taxation based on the politics of envy is bad taxation. It rewards the feckless who don't struggle to save for a comfortable later life. Time to abolish NI, Inheritance and other such taxes and simply tax income/spending.

ALL taxation is bad - it's just that the higher the tax rate, the worse the damage done to both individuals (whether people or companies) and the nation as a whole.

There must be SOME taxation, obviously - but the less the State extracts to pay for its services, the better.

Small State = good. big State = bad.

Always.

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351

Roger,

To be fair to Sean T, his abuse is usually so far over the top, it's funny.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    TOPPING said:

Because

Like the scottish election in 2011 and the AV referendum were about a year from them taking place?

Or do you mean more like the scottish tory surge or the tory majority nailed on for 2010 that the comical PB Hodges seemed to think was a forgegone conclusion?

LOL

• Options
    CD13 said:

Roger,

To be fair to Sean T, his abuse is usually so far over the top, it's funny.

Lordy if you suggest being "fair to SeanT" he's liable to assail you with a decent volley of abuse !!

• Options
    Morning all & cheers Corporeal for your efforts.

@SO - “The headline in El Periodico, for example, is "Cold shower from Europe - the Commission reiterates to Catalonia that leaving Spain means being outside the EU".”

Presumably ‘outside the EU’ means no longer obligated to any treaties or what have you that Spain may have signed up to? – The obvious problem for Catalonia, (should it gain independence) would be that if it wishes to remain a member of the EU, they’d need to renegotiate everything from scratch.

Irrespective of who the messenger was, I wonder if this ‘wake up call’ is directed at more than one possible newly independent region.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Because

And that's it until May 2015. And there's only so much we can rehearse those arguments/points.

So it gets personal.

ps. F**k off

A lot of truth in that but there are lots of other issues to have fun with. Re 2015 I'd say

1. How will turnout affect voting ( same for Indyref ) ?
    2. Why are the Tories so bad at winning seats outside the South ( Inverse for Labour ) ?
    3. When can we have a real CoE ?
    4. Just how badly prepared for a EU ref are UKIP ?
  • Options
    @Mick

what's with the "troll" sign for Caveat?

It's a discussion forum, so discuss with him.

oh and wrt the referendum I mean, specifically, the 2014 referendum on Scottish independence which will be won by the "No" campaign.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Because

So it gets personal.

ps. F**k off

A lot of truth in that but there are lots of other issues to have fun with. Re 2015 I'd say

2. Why are the Tories so bad at winning seats outside the South ( Inverse for Labour ) ?

5. Why hasn't it sunk in yet that the less lib dem MPs there are the less chance of a hung parliament there is?
  • Options

'London rule' is seen as awful (despite 2/3 of the most recent Chancellors and 1/3 or 2/3 [depending on how you view Blair] of the most recent PMs being Scottish), whereas 'Brussels rule' is seen as lovely and splendid.

Scottish Nationalists now call the Scots Blair and Brown British.
    Similarly Edinburgh's RBS and BoS became London banks after they failed.

" Victory has a thousand fathers but defeat is an orphan. "

• Options
    TOPPING said:

@Mick

What has that to do with you? Even so it is curious that you had no trouble with him using it on me first. Okay not curious at all, utterly predictable on PB.

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

TOPPING said:

Because

So it gets personal.

ps. F**k off

5. Why hasn't it sunk in yet that the less lib dem MPs there are the less chance of a hung parliament there is?
    That's a fair point Mick. persoanlly I'm assuming most of the seat exchange will take place between Con and Lab with the LDs holding a balance between 30-40 seats. A few points either way and those figures rebalance the parliament so one side ( more likely Labour ) could get a majority. But the fact remains that the LDs are more likely to be the 3rd largest voting bloc and so the easiest to go in to coalition with.

Clegg now has to produce a difficult balancing act. He has to do enough to stop Labour getting a majority while at the same time keeping enough blue water between him and Cameron so as not to switch off the Left of his party. If he manages that he can stop either Lab or Con getting a majority and sit in the middle as kingmaker.
  • Options
    F1: the basic forecast on the official F1 website seems to be thunderstorms every day of the Singapore Grand Prix. Obviously that'll need checking nearer the time, but it could significantly skew both qualifying and the race.

Button, Hulkenberg and perhaps the Williams (thinking back to Bottas' 3rd on the grid earlier in the season) could stand to benefit.
  • Options

Being Scottish? Oh, you ethnic nationalists. Still, it's good to see it confirmed that you'll be entirely happy with the current EU settlement as long as you have a requisite quota of 'English' functionaries, and if all those functionaries happen to be ardent Europhiles, so what?
  • Options
    I'm both very interested in the internal workings of opinion polls and not at all interested. Very interested, because these very technical matters can affect the political narrative hugely. Not at all interested, because small variances can lead to big differences in outcomes and opinion polls simply aren't accurate enough to pick up those small variances accurately, and certainly not at this distance from an election.

On the question of pollsters' predictions, I seem to recall that they didn't do particularly impressively with a week to go to the last general election, never mind at a distance of nearly 2 years.

Off topic, I'm very sorry to have learned of the death of URW. He was one of pb's finest ever posters. It's a great shame that we've lost the historical archive. Many of his posts would be worth rereading now.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Yougov tightening in advance of Lab conference - Sun getting their moneys worth...
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

TOPPING said:

Because

So it gets personal.

ps. F**k off

I think everyone knows this is true, but there are currently nearly 90 non-Labservative MPs, so even if the LibDems lose half their seats the NOM target still shrinks by less than one-third.

What shrinks a little more drastically is the size of what RodCrosby used to call the Kingmaker Zone, where the LibDems get to choose which party to work with.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

TOPPING said:

@Mick

What has that to do with you? Even so it is curious that you had no trouble with him using it on me first. Okay not curious at all, utterly predictable on PB.

Don't be so touchy.

I didn't see him use it on you so apologies. If I had I would have said the same to him. In fact here you go:

@Caveat

this is a discussion forum so instead of using the "troll" button why don't you discuss.

There, happy now?

Plus to say interaction on an, um, discussion board is nothing to do with another contributor is a novel way of approaching a discussion board....
  • Options

Being Scottish? Oh, you ethnic nationalists. Still, it's good to see it confirmed that you'll be entirely happy with the current EU settlement as long as you have a requisite quota of 'English' functionaries, and if all those functionaries happen to be ardent Europhiles, so what?
    banter aside divvie, it does leave me scratching my head. Surely the "Norway option" makes more sense if you want to maximise control over your own affairs.
  • Options

Scottish Nationalists now call the Scots Blair and Brown British.
    Similarly Edinburgh's RBS and BoS became London banks after they failed.

" Victory has a thousand fathers but defeat is an orphan. "

Britnats now call the self-proclaimed Brits Blair and Brown Scottish.
    Similarly UK's RBS and BoS became Scottish banks after they failed.

• Options
    Mr. Divvie, I'm confused about your problem.

The SNP is clearly unhappy with Westminster/London being the capital of the country to which they belong, and wish to separate. Is it not legitimate to point out that 4/6 or 3/6 of the most powerful men in recent times (since 1997) have been Scottish?
  • Options
    Half-Decent result on the first lloyds sale. Sets a pretty good baseline for future sales, which should see at minimum a profit on all. Latests sales should be very profitable (if they happen).

What has not been much discussed: there will be no further sales this year in all likelihood; Jan/Feb not the best time to sell billions of shares; so next batch will go spring 2014 and be larger in size.
  • Options
    Also unless there is some other cunning plan to give them away, then I doubt they can all be sold befor the next GE. Even it boom times it would be a stretch.

Unless the government goes with that plan to give them away. By my calcs, if 6% is worth 3.2b, then 32% is worth at least 17b. That divided by all Brit Nats on the GE voting register is about 500 per person.
  • Options
    F1: for those who missed it yesterday, the early discussion thread for Singapore (and the 2014 Ferrari lineup/possible Mercedes 100bhp advantage) is up here:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/singapore-early-discussion.html
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    So do the "swivel-eyed loons" seriously think that if the EU just had more UK commissioners then they would be fine with it? Or are they as full of sh*t as ever? ;)

A reminder of just how 'united' the tories are over Cammie's new Cast Iron referendum
    Michael Portillo: Cameron's EU referendum is an 'insincere ploy'

Pressure on David Cameron over Europe has intensified after former cabinet minister Michael Portillo said Britain should quit the EU.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/10045760/Michael-Portillo-Camerons-EU-referendum-is-an-insincere-ploy.html
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,097
    edited September 2013

Mr. Divvie, I'm confused about your problem.

The SNP is clearly unhappy with Westminster/London being the capital of the country to which they belong, and wish to separate. Is it not legitimate to point out that 4/6 or 3/6 of the most powerful men in recent times (since 1997) have been Scottish?

If you can't see the EU/UK parallel, I doubt anything I can say will salve your perplexment. The same goes for your belief that the Scottishness of Blair and Brown should be some sort of compensation for their political outlook & actions; now that is narrow nationalism.

• Options
    TOPPING said:

@Mick

I think the point of the "troll/spam/off-topic" flags is to show disapproval on a sliding-scale. They perform a holistic approach to the template "You're freckin' wrong you ignorant moron"! *

Outwith a plus-or-minus scoring system it is up to the puntah to show disgust by scaling their response in accordance to their wit-or-whim. How anyone bothers with the Belgian-[moderated] is beyound the bacon-scale. **

* And I do not wish to discourse further upon said points....
    ** Note-to-me: Revamp site's AJAX scripts.
  • Options
    Mr. Divvie, the EU and UK are qualitatively different.

The EU hasn't had its accounts signed off for about two decades. The leader is unelected, and even were it not so there is no European demos, despite the attempts to disintegrate national sentiment in favour of the EU. There's such staggering variance in the economies of the eurozone that the single currency simply cannot work, whereas the British pound is so delightful even separatists are reluctant to part with it.

Whilst I disagree with your separatist view, it is a valid perspective. Comparing the EU and UK as if they are the same is silly, and clearly wrong. Furthermore, if you genuinely believe them to be essentially the same, it is deranged to have separation from the UK as your party's raison d'etre whilst at the same time yearning to become/remain a member of the EU.
  • Options
    Matt brilliantly funny - and sexist and racist today.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt/

• Options
    Blimey - not a fan then!

Yesterday, Vince Cable delivered a speech at the Liberal Party Conference which for sheer bile was without precedent in modern times. No Cabinet minister has ever attacked the Government of which he is part in such vitriolic terms.

The wonder is that the dyspeptic Business Secretary should wish to remain a member of a Government dominated by a Tory party that he asserted has ‘reverted to type as the nasty party’, and which, according to him, practises ‘ugly’ policies based on the calculation that ‘fear trumps hope’.

Mr Cable has regularly used Lib Dem conferences to lash the ‘hated’ Tories. But this speech went much further than the usual crowd-pleasing rant. It was a despicable assault on colleagues and on the Coalition’s record, delivered in tones of insufferable moral superiority.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2422932/STEPHEN-GLOVER-Shameless-treachery-Mr-Cable-disloyal-devious-politician-times.html#ixzz2f8WdeHeb
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  • Options

banter aside divvie, it does leave me scratching my head. Surely the "Norway option" makes more sense if you want to maximise control over your own affairs.
    I don't have any problem with Norway being a model for independence, but I don't think it exists as an instant option. Norway, like all independent countries, is the result of evolution and it will continue to evolve. There doesn't seem to be the same level of instinctive scepticism about the EU in Scotland as in England so it seems a little pointless hanging independence on an isolationist, EU averse vision at the moment. That may change after independence of course, and then there will be parties to represent those views.

• Options
    edited September 2013

It was a despicable assault on colleagues and on the Coalition’s record, delivered in tones of insufferable moral superiority.

Such surprise in the article - has he not seen the former Labour man Cable in action before ?

Its his modus operandi..

• Options
    edited September 2013
    I see Vince also refers to Tea Party Tories - the only other person I've ever seen make that absurd assertion is Mr Pork.

Is Vince @MickP0rk ?

I think we should be told.
  • Options

Eamonn Holmes was trying to point out the fact that people can live in big houses and not be wealthy.

That's not true though. In most cases those people will own the big house, so they are wealthy, even if they currently have a relatively low income.

• Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    UK inflation measured by the consumer prices index fell to 2.7% in August, from July's figure of 2.8%.
  • Options
    Markit Economics @MarkitEconomics
    UK producer output prices +0.1% m/m in August, +1.6% y/y; input prices down 0.2% over the month, +2.8% y/y.

BBC Breaking News @BBCBreaking
    UK inflation measured by the consumer prices index fell to 2.7% in August, from July's figure of 2.8% bbc.in/1aH2JDg

Peter Hoskins @PeterHoskinsSky
    ONS: In the 12 months to July 2013 UK house prices increased by 3.3%, up from a 3.1% increase in the 12 months to June 2013
  • Options
    Markit Economics @MarkitEconomics
    UK producer output prices +0.1% m/m in August, +1.6% y/y; input prices down 0.2% over the month, +2.8% y/y.

BBC Breaking News @BBCBreaking
    UK inflation measured by the consumer prices index fell to 2.7% in August, from July's figure of 2.8% bbc.in/1aH2JDg

ONS @statisticsONS
    Factory gate #prices rose 1.6% in the year to August, down from a rise of 2.1% last month: bit.ly/1atfnWa
  • Options
    JohnO said:

UK inflation measured by the consumer prices index fell to 2.7% in August, from July's figure of 2.8%.

Does that mean we've all had a pay rise and the housing bubble just got bigger ? *innocent face*

• Options

The EU hasn't had its accounts signed off for about two decades.

The auditors always say the accounts correctly show where the EU has sent the money, but they can't then vouch for all the spending being done correctly by the organizations that get it, which is probably true of the UK as well.

The leader is unelected

The leader is indirectly elected, as is the UK Prime Minister. It would be better if it was more direct, which in the EU case it will be in future.

there is no European demos

This sentence has no actual meaning that anyone has ever been able to explain.

There's such staggering variance in the economies of the eurozone that the single currency simply cannot work, whereas the British pound is so delightful even separatists are reluctant to part with it.

There's a big, persistent variance in the economies of London and surroundings and Scotland. I expect an independent Scotland would be happy to go with the Euro if they had a fiscal union to go with it, and they certainly would if their bigger next-door neighbour was in not out.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    TGOHF said:

Matt brilliantly funny - and sexist and racist today.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt/

Pointless anecdote...

I was going to work in London on the 100 bus a few years ago, and the only other passenger on board was a lady with a veil over her face. I said hello and asked her what she thought of wearing it, and she said she was ok with it... What had always bugged me was how people wearing this kind of headgear recognised each other so I asked how her kids knew it was her when she picked them up from school... she said "they just know" which didnt convince me...

She said she took the veil off at home so her husband, the only man that mattered, got to see her... and basically she had to wear the veil so no other man could eye her up. I said what if another man fell in love with her because of her eyes, would she have to wear shades? She just said it wouldnt happen...

Must admit she was quite good fun, not serious and easive as I expected, but couldnt escape the feeling she had be brainwashed, and that I might get my head cut off if her husband foind out about the chat.
  • Options

Eamonn Holmes was trying to point out the fact that people can live in big houses and not be wealthy.

That's not true though. In most cases those people will own the big house, so they are wealthy, even if they currently have a relatively low income.

What the LDs forget is that the big house had to be bought at some point - using after tax income. What next - taxes on big bank accounts ? Taxes on jewels ? Taxes on huge cars ? Taxes on tracts of land ? Taxes on fat wallets ?

• Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    On topic the conclusion seems to be:

Polls are reactive to the changes in opinion, which lags events.
    Polls can only assess the effects of adjustments and assumptions reactively by measuring against election results. Learning from Local, European and General elections is not transferable as voters apply different criteria to party selection in each type of election. Unfortunately by elections are not much use for general elections as the dynamics are invariably different to general elections.

Polls record how people think they will vote at a time when there is no vote. The figures are adjusted in a way that may account for the vagaries of inaccurate sampling, assuming the respondents know or admit to how they voted last time the adjustments may or may not be accurate. Add the unknown variations from a fracturing of the 2 party system, the effect of coalition government and the loss of the home for traditional protest votes the polls react to the inputs of the pollsters. Polls lag between 1 and 5 years behind actuality, as they are tested on about a five year cycle where the empirical evidence is collected.

In other words, take polls with a pinch of salt, with the exception of ARSE polls, where application of salt will be frowned upon.

The only useful feature that is gleaned from polls is the trend. Given consistent methodology over time they will show the relative movement for each party over a period. The rest is hot air (would it be indiscreet to mention ARSE at this point?).
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    TOPPING said:

Mick_Pork said:

TOPPING said:

@Mick

Don't be so touchy.

I didn't see him use it on you so apologies. If I had I would have said the same to him. In fact here you go:

@Caveat

this is a discussion forum so instead of using the "troll" button why don't you discuss.

There, happy now?
    I'll tell you what, after being reminded that the drunken racist lunatic fluffy is the most frequent user of the little buttons I won't bother with them at all now. It is crystal clear that it is usually the completely deranged and the simple minded that seem to be fond of using them all the time.

• Options
    andy bell @andybell46
    I tried to enter my local lib-dem offices wearing a ski mask and to my surprise was arrested. So much for wearing what you want. ........lol
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,097
    edited September 2013

Mr. Divvie, the EU and UK are qualitatively different.
    whereas the British pound is so delightful even separatists are reluctant to part with it.

I'll be happy to part with it once Scotland is securely independent, say about 5 years time?

Comparing the EU and UK as if they are the same is silly, and clearly wrong.

I shall retreat in the face of such relentlessly deployed logic.

Furthermore, if you genuinely believe them to be essentially the same, it is deranged to have separation from the UK as your party's raison d'etre whilst at the same time yearning to become/remain a member of the EU.

Having the current level of control over the economy, finances, taxation, natural resources, foreign policy, social policy & energy policy that the UK does in the EU is NOT THE SAME as Scotland's position within the UK.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Plato said:

I see Vince also refers to Tea Party Tories - the only other person I've ever seen make that absurd assertion is Mr Pork.

Is Vince @MickP0rk ?

Are you still a fake libertarian "serial labour voting" "floating voter"?

;^ )
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Inflation down, GDP up, unemployment down and £60m profit from the first tranche of LLOY.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

What the LDs forget is that the big house had to be bought at some point - using after tax income. What next - taxes on big bank accounts ? Taxes on jewels ? Taxes on huge cars ? Taxes on tracts of land ? Taxes on fat wallets ?

There are already taxes on huge cars, at least if you put petrol in them drive them around. There's no specific tax on fat wallets, but there's inflation, which is the same thing by a sneakier route. A lot of countries tax land, and the UK definitely should.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    Mick_Pork said:

So do the "swivel-eyed loons" seriously think that if the EU just had more UK commissioners then they would be fine with it? Or are they as full of sh*t as ever? ;)

A reminder of just how 'united' the tories are over Cammie's new Cast Iron referendum

Michael Portillo: Cameron's EU referendum is an 'insincere ploy'

Pressure on David Cameron over Europe has intensified after former cabinet minister Michael Portillo said Britain should quit the EU.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/10045760/Michael-Portillo-Camerons-EU-referendum-is-an-insincere-ploy.html

Mikey P has been saying that on "This Week" all year...

To me it seems like the Tory attitude to EU membership is like that of someone who wants to split up with their partner, but rather than follow their instinct and make a fresh start, they go on an expensive holiday, have another "band aid" kid, start an affair with someone at work etc, anything rather than admit the relationship is over
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Inflation down, GDP up, unemployment down and £60m profit from the first tranche of LLOY.

Arise Sir George ? ;)
  • Options

TGOHF said:

There are already taxes on huge cars, at least if you put petrol in them drive them around. There's no specific tax on fat wallets, but there's inflation, which is the same thing by a sneakier route. A lot of countries tax land, and the UK definitely should.
    Tax mansions and land and rich people will buy property and land abroad - and spend the money doing them up - abroad. Not sure thats good for our British builder and DIY stores.

Or they could just buy gold and jewels.

Lefties and the consequences of envy just don't mix.

• Options
    OT Ages ago a fellow PBer posted a compilation of terrible CSI Miami cliches - it may have been @Pulpstar or maybe @TC_PoliticalBetting?

Anyways - I've just watched S4 of Supernatural and there's an exact pee take of Horatio in a whole scene and its hilarious - LOL funny because they get it spot on. If you haven't seen it - you must.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvT_pG0nErE
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Are the PB Hodges predicting that Cable will resign again?

They've only claimed he resigned twice already after all. ;^ )

Bit unfortunate that lib dem members just voted Cable lib dem minister of the year, isn't it?
    Clegg can no more be rid of him that Cammie can get rid of the toxic Osbrowne.

LOL
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Are the PB Hodges predicting that Cable will resign again?

They've only claimed he resigned twice already after all. ;^ )

Bit unfortunate that lib dem members just voted Cable lib dem minister of the year, isn't it?
    Clegg can no more be rid of him that Cammie can get rid of the toxic Osbrowne.

LOL

I don't think anyone thinks he will resign - just continue his fade into irreleVINCE.

• Options
    Exhibit 1 :

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/steerpike/2013/09/coffee-shots-cables-small-beer-to-lib-dem-activists/

"Vince Cable is apparently the darling of his party. But not according to this highly scientific poll being conducted by the Campaign for Real Ale at the Liberal Democrat conference in Glasgow, where the Business Secretary is currently the least popular pick from the top dogs in the party for the best person to have a pint with. What a bitter sensation that must be."
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Tax mansions and land and rich people will buy property and land abroad - and spend the money doing them up - abroad. Not sure thats good for our British builder and DIY stores.

Or they could just buy gold and jewels.

Lefties and the consequences of envy just don't mix.

You have similar problems with pretty much all taxes. Right now the UK has a lot of taxes on working, which is something it should generally be encouraging and is increasingly getting easier to move jurisdiction to avoid, so it makes sense to take some of the load off that and put it on things like land and property, which are harder to move. In the UK this also has the helpful side-effect of encouraging people to use those assets efficiently to generate a better return on them.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited September 2013
    "Toxic" would appear to be the meme word of the day (again)... relief all round.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    TGOHF said:

Exhibit 1 :

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/steerpike/2013/09/coffee-shots-cables-small-beer-to-lib-dem-activists/

"Vince Cable is apparently the darling of his party. But not according to this highly scientific poll being conducted by the Campaign for Real Ale at the Liberal Democrat conference in Glasgow, where the Business Secretary is currently the least popular pick from the top dogs in the party for the best person to have a pint with. What a bitter sensation that must be."

Highly scientific indeed. LOL

Kennedy would have swept the board with that one. Not that the lib dem conference was packed to the rafters anyway. Quite the reverse.

For that matter wee Willie "fourteen pints" Hague would likely sweep the board in a tory conference and he was made utterly irrelevant by Tiny Blair Cameron's incompetent Syria vote.
  • Options
    tim said:

Inflation outstrips pay for the thirty ninth month out of forty?

And

@DuncanWeldon: UK house price growth (year on year) of 3.3%, says the ONS. London up 9.7%.

So is Osborne going to apply Help To Buy2 to London?
    Clinically insane if he does

I for one feel poorer since 9.30 am tim - dunno about you.
  • Options
    Plato Posts: "OT Ages ago a fellow PBer posted a compilation of terrible CSI Miami cliches - it may have been @Pulpstar..."
    Sadly not I.
    For fun items we can look forward to Mcslimes book during the Labour conference.
    Just imagine that he was paid as an impartial civil servant and only worked on helping Labour. Irony?
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

TGOHF said:

Exhibit 1 :

Highly scientific indeed. LOL

Kennedy would have swept the board with that one. Not that the lib dem conference was packed to the rafters anyway. Quite the reverse.

For that matter wee Willie "fourteen pints" Hague would likely sweep the board in a tory conference and he was made utterly irrelevant by Tiny Blair Cameron's incompetent Syria vote.
    I thought it was interesting about Cable though - he seems to have a high opinion of his own popularity.

This discussion has been closed.