Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A new furrow. The changing nature of work and what that might

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,883
    Mortimer said:

I wonder what the correlation between the juvenile 'FBPE' slogans on twitter and people who actually did anything during the referendum is...

People have a right to express an opinion, even if they didn't 'do anything' during a campaign, and even (shock, horror) if they didn't vote. People who campaigned do not have any superior rights in any democracy.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936

Mortimer said:

I wonder what the correlation between the juvenile 'FBPE' slogans on twitter and people who actually did anything during the referendum is...

Do you have a golden rule about that?
    Oh thanks for reminding me; looks like The Golden Rule of Brexit was as applicable to the Customs union fuss of a few weeks ago as every other issue over the past couple of years...
  • Options

Mortimer said:

People have a right to express an opinion, even if they didn't 'do anything' during a campaign, and even (shock, horror) if they didn't vote. People who campaigned do not have any superior rights in any democracy.
    Or course they do.

But I find it pretty juvenile. Like wearing badges, or such like.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited March 2018
    Scott_P said:
    At least they have moved on from the Alex Jones style "It wasn't Russia" conspiracy theories like how can we know what the nerve agent was if it was never made outside of Russia.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Or course they do.

Did you wear any badges when campaigning?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625

Mortimer said:

That is true, but there's also nothing wrong in suggesting people who were so devastated by the outcome could have put a bit more effort in to prevent it, particularly if they are the same ones who get angry at the people who did - it's merely expressing an opinion.

Personally I didn't do any campaigning as while I went for one option I could live with both, but if, for instance, somebody is angry about their future being taken away, a common complaint, well, is gentle chastisement of a lack of activity unreasonable? Some will think so, but then it would merely be an opinion.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

That is true, but there's also nothing wrong in suggesting people who were so devastated by the outcome could have put a bit more effort in to prevent it, particularly if they are the same ones who get angry at the people who did - it's merely expressing an opinion.

Personally I didn't do any campaigning as while I went for one option I could live with both, but if, for instance, somebody is angry about their future being taken away, a common complaint, well, is gentle chastisement of a lack of activity unreasonable? Some will think so, but then it would merely be an opinion.
    Not everyone has the ability or time to campaign. And there are a multitude of people you would want to actively keep away from any campaigning. ;)
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Scott_P said:
    It does rather invite questions as to how Baroness Chakrabarti's inquiry missed what is now being apologised for.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Or course they do.

Did you wear any badges when campaigning?
    Can't remember the last time I wore a badge Un-ironically..
  • Options

kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

Not everyone has the ability or time to campaign. And there are a multitude of people you would want to actively keep away from any campaigning. ;)
    Oh, undoubtedly. But if someone wants to ask 'Did you have the time and ability to campaign but did not?', it's probably fair game, to a degree.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    I see Channel 4 news making real tits of themselves , stating "it is up to SNP" whether Clara Ponsati is arrested. You would expect they has some journalists that had a clue and understood it is up to justice system the courts to decide who gets arrested or not , SNP have no say whatsoever in it.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

90% of life is turning up. Remainers didn’t.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

I see Channel 4 news making real tits of themselves , stating "it is up to SNP" whether Clara Ponsati is arrested. You would expect they has some journalists that had a clue and understood it is up to justice system the courts to decide who gets arrested or not , SNP have no say whatsoever in it.

I would hope that the SNP are not deciding who is arrested or not, that would rather suggest everyone completely missed them making an enormous power grab!
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

I would hope that the SNP are not deciding who is arrested or not, that would rather suggest everyone completely missed them making an enormous power grab!
    Exactly, is it any wonder people deride the UK news outlets and media. They seem to have got rid of any staff that has a clue to what they are doing and just print garbage.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    RobD said:

This seems odd as I thought Chakrabarti had more or less concluded that Labour did not have an anti-semitisim problem! Corbyn's made the statement because this issue is spinning out of control.

That's Baroness Chakrabarti to you!
    Baroness Chakrabarti of Whitewashton to give the full title.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Nice thread header. The ending is particularly chilling. Sadly, the current leader of the main party of workers is fighting the last war.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

Very interesting threader, thanks Alastair.

I'm of the view that we're not yet at a tip-over point where more jobs are lost to new tech than are gained from applications of that new tech. In fact, IMV it'll take either a catastrophe - e.g. a solar storm or EMP event - or true AI for it to happen. And I'm a good deal more bearish than many on here about the future prospects of AI.

As an aside, after the war my dad was taught to plough both with horses and with a tractor. He is the last generation for which horse-ploughing would have been seen as a 'useful' skill. He also remembers steam-ploughs - a steam engine at each end of a field, with a cable between the two pulling the plough, although that was a dying craft even when he was a child.

The rate of change has been massive. How will I explain to my three-year old that TV's used to be big boxes with tiny screens, and the state-of-the-art was black and white?

I am much more in the camp that ML / AI will assist in jobs rather than widespread eradication e.g. more and more ML will process medical scans / test results and present information to consultants.
    Yeah, I'm with you on that. It's more people like SeanT who witter on about all lorry drivers being out of work in ten years (as it must have been a couple of years ago, he's got eight years left).

One prospect that intrigues me is 3D printing. I'm incredibly bullish (*) on it, and good multi-material 3D printing that is cheap enough, put together with good designs, could be truly transformative.

(*) No, that's not bullsh*t.
    The 3D printed house - done in 24 hours for $4,000
    https://www.fastcompany.com/40538464/this-house-can-be-3d-printed-for-4000

Revolutionary if they can scale it.
    It's absolute shit.

The shell often house is the cheapest part. The land it sits on, the fitting out of electricity, water, sewage etc. God forbid it's in an area that needs HVAC.

It's a garbage project and I don't know why it is getting press.
    "The team laid out three goals. First, they wanted to significantly decrease the cost of building a house, though the homes they were currently building–with concrete walls and a simple design–were already very low-cost, at $6,500. They also wanted to make construction faster, while improving the quality of the final home."

I mean if they are currently managing it for $6,500 why not back them to make it cheaper?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,822
    Evening all :)

Interesting thread by Antifrank, for which, as always, many thanks.

I remember in the 1970s being told life would be one long leisure-filled utopia by 2000 with gadgets doing everything for us. Strangely I see more people working harder and longer hours than ever.

We have been conditioned by Weber and the capitalist model to seek virtue in work and especially hard work for some strange reason. Technology has undoubtedly removed some (though no means all) of the transactional task and this has been especially pronounced in non-manual back office environments. The "system" now does what departments full of accounts, secretaries, ledger clerks and the like used to do.

Yet we still need the likes of bricklayers, plumbers, chippies and as yet no machine has replaced these skills so in "horse" terms you may not need a pit pony any more but racehorses are much the same now (physically much stronger and fitter) as they were 200 years ago.

It's long been my belief you can either manage your information or your work or it will manage you and the extent to which the work manages us is one I've mused on. I question the value of tasks I am given and see others performing - "improving the customer experience" is a good one.

It's a huge area and until I see my Chinese takeaway order taken by a robot, cooked by a robot and delivered to my house by a robot I'll be convinced we'll still all have to work for our sweet and sour.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited March 2018
    "Yet we still need the likes of bricklayers, plumbers, chippies and as yet no machine has replaced these skills"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s17IAj-XpU
  • Options
    stodge said:

It's a huge area and until I see my Chinese takeaway order taken by a robot, cooked by a robot and delivered to my house by a robot I'll be convinced we'll still all have to work for our sweet and sour.

They're working on it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSBTCOEdLkA
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    This is a good thread header. I suppose it is worth reflecting on the fact that each generation before us faced existential problems, although perhaps now they have multiplied.

In my view, the problems arising from AI and automation expose the redundancy of the idea of the free market. The idea has had its day. The market is not going to solve the problem of automation. It is something that must be done by the state.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

stodge said:

They're working on it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSBTCOEdLkA
    Robots that are in a fixed position are relatively easy. Getting the food to your door however....
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,152
    An interesting header for which many thanks.

An unkind person might point out that when a similar article was written in November 2016 a certain Mr Meeks wrote this -

"When employment is at record levels in Britain, it is quirky to worry about machines destroying jobs and wealth in the short term. Technology will free up humans to do more of hitherto unappreciated but newly valued activities. Different skills will be required so some will be losers (including many lawyers) but there will be other winners.

Much greater and cheaper computerisation will make it easier for all of us to convert our ideas into reality. That would lead to a huge upsurge in creativity and innovation. Britain's skills base is well suited to exploit such a world."

Still I agree that there will be - and will need to be - much more focus on a fair sharing out of the spoils from a changed world of work.

PS But if I am going to be a horse can I be Frankel please. A life of winning exceptionally and being adulated followed by luxurious retirement and sex on tap. I mean, what's not to like..... :)
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814
    "but instead subtract from the human labour required" is a key element: what becomes "required"?
    It's precisely this that's created the new work in the past. When 90% of the population were involved in food production, that had to be the work required. When we advanced to the point that we needed far fewer people to produce the needed food, we started producing more of other things. Today, 15% of the population is involved in healthcare - something not possible when 90% were in the fields.

Further to that, the jobs that most get replaced by soulless machines are the ones that most treat and rely on workers to act as soulless machines.

Whenever we've freed up manpower by reducing the need for labour in existing production, we've found something else we wanted to produce from further up Maslow's pyramid of needs. Human needs are finite, but our wants aren't. Personally, I might not see the attraction in coffee provision, or fitness instruction, or wedding planning, but people as a whole obviously want this, and we now provide it. More people in research, or law, or entertainment, or sport, or whatever...

The main issue, though, is the transition phase. While the next generation might not miss having typing pools, printing departments, gramophone repairers, and so on, those who have been trained and experienced in those areas can end up on the scrapheap of history. THAT is the key problem.
  • Options
    For all the videos, how many bricklayers and Chinese takeaway cooks/drivers have so far been replaced by robots ?

That many...
  • Options
    Gavin Williamson "hits the roof" after finding out that Brexit means being frozen out of Galileo.
    https://twitter.com/FinancialTimes/status/977989258676973568
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Scott_P said:
    It does rather invite questions as to how Baroness Chakrabarti's inquiry missed what is now being apologised for.

Cyclefree's 10 Stages of a Crisis

1. People turn a blind eye.
    2. People can't believe it.
    3. People refuse to believe it.
    4. People accept that something has gone wrong but insist that it is limited to "1 or 2 bad apples".
    5. When it becomes clear that it is not "1 or 2" stages 1, 2 and 3 are repeated.
    6. A limited inquiry is started in the hope that this will sort matters out. It won't.
    7. People become more concerned with protecting the institution rather than dealing with what is wrong.
    8. The non-apology apology.
    9. Eventually ...... a much more extensive investigation is done and remedial measures are taken.
    10. Alas ...... the institution is dealing with the continuing fall out from the previous failures for a long time after it has cleaned itself up.

Applicable to Oxfam, Facebook and the Labour Party. (And many others.)

Chakrabarti has done her bit for stage 6. Most of Corbyn's Labour is at stage 7 though some are still stuck at stage 3 or stage 4. Watson is at stage 8. Corbyn's statement is welcome but may end up - if no effective action is taken - being another version of stage 8.

When - and indeed whether - we ever get to stage 9 is another matter.
  • Options
    calum said:
    ho ho ho - of course Jezza

Explain how those anti semites who were suspended found there way back then

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,125
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

viewcode said:

One prospect that intrigues me is 3D printing.

Knock yourself out. A 2018 review of 13 3d printers. Includes prices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IE6hSQu4lI

Thanks. I've robustly avoided buying one as it would be too much of a time sink. That, and the fact that I'm cr@p at design.

But there will be a point where capability and price will meet to make the tech truly transformative. Want a new toy for a children's party. Don't go to Toys R Us (*) or Amazon, but just download the designs and print one.

We're not there yet, and won't be for many years, but we will. But even this may end up increasing the number of jobs rather than decreasing it.

(*) Ooops
    Synthetic biology is gone to be an incredible breakthrough
  • Options

calum said:
    Is this still mural-gate or something new?
    read the link i posted earlier
  • Options
    calum said:

calum said:
    Mural-gate and covering all bases

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/977963655219286017
    and for which I have done sweet FA about up to now.
  • Options
    Charles said:

viewcode said:

Thanks. I've robustly avoided buying one as it would be too much of a time sink. That, and the fact that I'm cr@p at design.

But there will be a point where capability and price will meet to make the tech truly transformative. Want a new toy for a children's party. Don't go to Toys R Us (*) or Amazon, but just download the designs and print one.

We're not there yet, and won't be for many years, but we will. But even this may end up increasing the number of jobs rather than decreasing it.

(*) Ooops
    It's an area I know nothing about. Could you recommend a primer?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    edited March 2018
    Per BBC:

"On Friday, Labour MP Angela Smith joined other members in supporting Ms Berger and sent a statement to the Leader's Office, calling for Mr Corbyn to appear before MPs to explain himself.

It read: "It is horrifying that anyone in our party - never mind the leader - should be able to condone anti-Semitism without facing consequences. And rather than facing up, Jeremy Corbyn has chosen to dissemble to defend himself.

"It is simply not credible to suggest that a man with his knowledge of foreign affairs did not recognise those images for what they were.

"Many of us would call for a formal disciplinary process, but the sad truth is that our party has been so badly undermined that no one would believe it would be meaningful.""

Now I'm sure Labour MPs know there is no point in complaining to the NEC.

But what are the rules of the Parliamentary Labour Party? It may seem outlandish but could the Parliamentary Labour Party take direct action against Corbyn?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43531575
  • Options
    MikeL said:

But what are the rules of the Parliamentary Labour Party? It may seem outlandish but could the Parliamentary Labour Party take direct action against Corbyn?

That would indeed be popcorn time. :o
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    Good to see Corbyn doing his bit to get the Leave campaign's expenditure off the front pages. He'll stop at nothing to make sure Brexit goes ahead.
  • Options
    RobD said:

MikeL said:

It won't happen. Read that FT article that was posted earlier. Corbyn is in charge of all the centres of power in the party.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

It won't happen. Read that FT article that was posted earlier. Corbyn is in charge of all the centres of power in the party.

*Puts popcorn away*.... :(
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,217
    Charles said:

viewcode said:

(*) Ooops
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Rose_Hotel

Short version - corporate defector in biotech has brilliant new technology. Company finds out, arranges for the data on disc to be changed. So when he tries to make copies in the new lab - the machine prints a virus instead.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

You're right but the one thing he doesn't control is the Parliamentary Labour Party.

I know it may seem outlandish but the fact is that Corbyn and his cronies have taken control of the party by using every trick in the book so the question is could the PLP do something similar?

If the likes of Angela Smith and Luciana Berger proposed a motion to the PLP that Corbyn be suspended from the PLP would Corbyn win that vote? He might well not.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Scott_P said:
    because it wasn't independent?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    MikeL said:

Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

You're right but the one thing he doesn't control is the Parliamentary Labour Party.

I know it may seem outlandish but the fact is that Corbyn and his cronies have taken control of the party by using every trick in the book so the question is could the PLP do something similar?

If the likes of Angela Smith and Luciana Berger proposed a motion to the PLP that Corbyn be suspended from the PLP would Corbyn win that vote? He might well not.
    After the next election he will have his own Momentum PLP - even if he doesn’t form a govt he will have hard left MPs in place for decades.

Labour are done.
  • Options
    Floater said:

AnneJGP said:

Scott_P said:
    I always like the quote from Foch on being told of the formation of the Independent Airforce (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_Air_Force)

"Independent of whom? God?"
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793

Gavin Williamson "hits the roof" after finding out that Brexit means being frozen out of Galileo.

Galileo?

Will you do the Fandango? :D
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,514
    GIN1138 said:

Galileo?

No No! We will not let you go!
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

AnneJGP said:

Scott_P said:

Cyclefree's 10 Stages of a Crisis

1. People turn a blind eye.
    2. People can't believe it.
    3. People refuse to believe it.
    4. People accept that something has gone wrong but insist that it is limited to "1 or 2 bad apples".
    5. When it becomes clear that it is not "1 or 2" stages 1, 2 and 3 are repeated.
    6. A limited inquiry is started in the hope that this will sort matters out. It won't.
    7. People become more concerned with protecting the institution rather than dealing with what is wrong.
    8. The non-apology apology.
    9. Eventually ...... a much more extensive investigation is done and remedial measures are taken.
    10. Alas ...... the institution is dealing with the continuing fall out from the previous failures for a long time after it has cleaned itself up.

Applicable to Oxfam, Facebook and the Labour Party. (And many others.)

Chakrabarti has done her bit for stage 6. Most of Corbyn's Labour is at stage 7 though some are still stuck at stage 3 or stage 4. Watson is at stage 8. Corbyn's statement is welcome but may end up - if no effective action is taken - being another version of stage 8.

When - and indeed whether - we ever get to stage 9 is another matter.
    Hermann Kahn liked to point out that if a problem was big enough, the solution sought was always to destroy/discredit the people pointing out the problem.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,691

God! How mediocre this Brexit.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited March 2018
    Perhaps we should have a hard Irish border...

https://twitter.com/johnmooneyst/status/977669815505686528?s=21
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

Galileo?

No No! We will not let you go!
    Let Me Go!!!!
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

Interesting thread by Antifrank, for which, as always, many thanks.

I remember in the 1970s being told life would be one long leisure-filled utopia by 2000 with gadgets doing everything for us. Strangely I see more people working harder and longer hours than ever.

We have been conditioned by Weber and the capitalist model to seek virtue in work and especially hard work for some strange reason. Technology has undoubtedly removed some (though no means all) of the transactional task and this has been especially pronounced in non-manual back office environments. The "system" now does what departments full of accounts, secretaries, ledger clerks and the like used to do.

Yet we still need the likes of bricklayers, plumbers, chippies and as yet no machine has replaced these skills so in "horse" terms you may not need a pit pony any more but racehorses are much the same now (physically much stronger and fitter) as they were 200 years ago.

It's long been my belief you can either manage your information or your work or it will manage you and the extent to which the work manages us is one I've mused on. I question the value of tasks I am given and see others performing - "improving the customer experience" is a good one.

We are already there, surely? Ordering by internet is ordering by robot, it's only regulatory issues and the current lack of address-level rather than postcode-level mapping which stops waymo delivering to you, and cooking is just a few fine motor skills which I believe we already have in bomb disposal bots. Where in your view are the sticking points?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Is there really a risk the US will turn off GPS for the UK? Seems like a giant vanity project to me.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

Yes. After Corbyn you may get a Labour leader who doesn’t have some of his more problematic views (e.g. Russia) but they’ll still pretty left wing. The dream that some have that it’ll be some centrist, moderate leader is highly unrealistic.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    RobD said:

FF43 said:

Is there really a risk the US will turn off GPS for the UK? Seems like a giant vanity project to me.
    It’s fine... Luckyguy1983 has the codes for GLONASS :wink:
  • Options

RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

Yes. After Corbyn you may get a Labour leader who doesn’t have some of his more problematic views (e.g. Russia) but they’ll still pretty left wing. The dream that some have that it’ll be some centrist, moderate leader is highly unrealistic.
    Or we might get McDonnell.. :D
  • Options
    Floater said:

AnneJGP said:

Scott_P said:
    Because it was the sort of inquiry described below:-

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2017/11/06/the-pb-cynics-dictionary-especially-complied-for-the-times/

"An inquiry: A process by which an embarrassing story disappears from public view."
  • Options
    RobD said:

FF43 said:

I believe the risk is that when the world goes to defcon insane the US encrypts GPS and is choosy about to whom if anyone, except its own forces, it gives a key.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,336
    MikeL said:

Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

Suspension from the PLP only bans an MP from PLP meetings. Not something Corbyn would be too unhappy with. AFAIK the power also lies with the party whip - or did in 2006 when Jacqui Smith, ironically wanted to use the power to tell Corbyn and co to bog off. They could I think vote to change their rules, but would be a bit pointless as would only be censure from a body Corbyn has totally disregarded anyway - see the previous confidence vote. And MPs know it would probably backfire among the membership. Really the only option available is the nuclear one - threaten a split.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

We are already there, surely? Ordering by internet is ordering by robot, it's only regulatory issues and the current lack of address-level rather than postcode-level mapping which stops waymo delivering to you, and cooking is just a few fine motor skills which I believe we already have in bomb disposal bots. Where in your view are the sticking points?

We may be "there" technologically but we aren't there in any meaningful sense. I'm intrigued by the comparison between cooking roast duck and mushrooms and bomb disposal.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

I believe the risk is that when the world goes to defcon insane the US encrypts GPS and is choosy about to whom if anyone, except its own forces, it gives a key.
    The hardware to encrypt the signals (as opposed to the digital signature stuff) was discontinued in GPS satellites quite a while ago. As was the stuff for degrading accuracy.

The modern way that the US blocks GPS usage involves (effectively) the US jamming it themselves for limited geographical areas.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Ishmael_Z said:

We may be "there" technologically but we aren't there in any meaningful sense. I'm intrigued by the comparison between cooking roast duck and mushrooms and bomb disposal.
    Aren't those bomb disposal things just remote controlled?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Australian ABC reporting that "Sticky Tape" Bancroft had a sweet approach to ball tampering during the 5th Ashes test - sugar in his trouser pockets.

Granules or lumps is the question ..
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

The hardware to encrypt the signals (as opposed to the digital signature stuff) was discontinued in GPS satellites quite a while ago. As was the stuff for degrading accuracy.

The modern way that the US blocks GPS usage involves (effectively) the US jamming it themselves for limited geographical areas.
    Of course we don't know for sure if the functionality has actually been disabled/removed.
  • Options
    RobD said:

stodge said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Aren't those bomb disposal things just remote controlled?
    OK, poor analogy (though of course we wouldn't necessarily know one way or the other). But who needs analogies when a google of "autonomous cooking robot" throws up so many instances of the actual thing?
  • Options
    MJW said:

MikeL said:

Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

Suspension from the PLP only bans an MP from PLP meetings. Not something Corbyn would be too unhappy with. AFAIK the power also lies with the party whip - or did in 2006 when Jacqui Smith, ironically wanted to use the power to tell Corbyn and co to bog off. They could I think vote to change their rules, but would be a bit pointless as would only be censure from a body Corbyn has totally disregarded anyway - see the previous confidence vote. And MPs know it would probably backfire among the membership. Really the only option available is the nuclear one - threaten a split.
    Labour MPs couldn't take the skin off a rice pudding. They will do nothing. Other than complain. Ineffectually. Those for whom this is all too much will leave. And the rest will keep their heads down. Jews do not matter to Labour. Too few of them to count. And Labour probably - and sadly - thinks that there are more votes in being seen as anti-Jew, especially if this can be presented as being anti-Israel and/or anti-banker/capitalist/American. They may well be right in thinking this. Even if it stinks to high heaven from a moral perspective.
  • Options
    Floater said:

calum said:

calum said:

Well, the first step is in admitting there is a problem, and it only took a dozen or more instances to get to that. Progress!
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    If the EU freezes us out of Galileo, we should surely freeze them out of all our intelligence provision.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    Cyclefree said:

MJW said:

MikeL said:

Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

Labour MPs couldn't take the skin off a rice pudding. They will do nothing. Other than complain. Ineffectually. Those for whom this is all too much will leave. And the rest will keep their heads down. Jews do not matter to Labour. Too few of them to count. And Labour probably - and sadly - thinks that there are more votes in being seen as anti-Jew, especially if this can be presented as being anti-Israel and/or anti-banker/capitalist/American. They may well be right in thinking this. Even if it stinks to high heaven from a moral perspective.
    Labour MPs - the only group on the planet who are a more imposing bunch of losers than the Aussie cricket team?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

Of course we don't know for sure if the functionality has actually been disabled/removed.
    IANAE, but AFAIAA it is much more complex than that, with two sets of signals - one civvie and one military. The civvie one has always been available; the military one has not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS_signals#Precision_code

Though GPS has got even more complex with the later class satellites.

And they do still have the ability to screw with GPS signals - every so often there are notices that GPS signals will be degraded around training areas through jammers.

E.g.: https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2012/03/07/military-exercises-will-zap-gps-signals-in-three-areas
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Floater said:

calum said:

calum said:

Well, the first step is in admitting there is a problem, and it only took a dozen or more instances to get to that. Progress!
    In all seriousness, if he is admitting there is a problem, that is indeed something. Up to now it has seemed as though, deep down, he doesn't believe there is, even though others insist of him that he takes it seriously. It reminds me of how during the GE Farron was getting crap for deliberately woolly statements about whether he believed gay sex was a sin, but some of the more fervent LDs (or at least 1) was strident in insisting he had made himself clear and it was just opponents stirring things up for nothing, until he came out unambiguously and said he didn't think it was a sin, leading many to ask why the hell he hadn't just said so in the first place.

Of course we now know he was lying when he said that.
  • Options

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

IANAE, but AFAIAA it is much more complex than that, with two sets of signals - one civvie and one military. The civvie one has always been available; the military one has not.

And they do still have the ability to screw with GPS signals - every so often there are notices that GPS signals will be degraded around training areas through jammers.

E.g.: https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2012/03/07/military-exercises-will-zap-gps-signals-in-three-areas
    Selective availability was the old system, that has supposedly been disabled. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_analysis_for_the_Global_Positioning_System#Selective_availability

I think you can jam any radio signal, that's not a feature of the GPS network.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

That would assume that multiple generals felt like straight up lying to Congress on multiple occasions.

It also mis-understands the US military position on precision - they never wanted to restrict it. They assumed from the start that "the other guys" would have their own, equally accurate system. The encryption specified (Q code) was to be used as digital signature - so that in time of war, it would be much harder to spoof or jam the signals.

The whole twiddling with the civilian channel stuff came from the same people in the civilian portion of the government who wanted everyone to use 40 bit encryption. They are looked on with considerable contempt in military circles in the US.

The reason for the turn to selective jamming was so that the US Military could guarantee to US civilian operators that their signals outside a warzone would be accurate and undegraded. The US Military sees GPS as an enormous sales pitch for the cost of US military space (more than the cost of NASA) to the US public/corporations.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,201
    JackW said:

Australian ABC reporting that "Sticky Tape" Bancroft had a sweet approach to ball tampering during the 5th Ashes test - sugar in his trouser pockets.

Granules or lumps is the question ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zih4MH_hMV4
  • Options
    The headline on this story has a bit of the feeling to me of someone testing the waters, to see how people react so the actual punishment can be tailored accordingly, as people react against what would seem disproportionate, and so through the media raising the possibility.

Smith, Warner could face life ban from CA

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/22908218/steven-smith-david-warner-face-life-ban-ca
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

Selective availability was the old system, that has supposedly been disabled. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_analysis_for_the_Global_Positioning_System#Selective_availability

To *effectively* jam GPS takes a bit more than mis-tuning a walkie talkie. Hence quite a bit of money was spent on the selective denial system.

The military code was encrypted - not to hide it from the enemy, but for 2 other reasons. The first was digital signature - the encryption ensures that faking a signal is hard. The second was that if you have the encryption key, it become possible to get a lock when the signal is lower strength than the jamming.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Good to see Corbyn doing his bit to get the Leave campaign's expenditure off the front pages. He'll stop at nothing to make sure Brexit goes ahead.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/978004182413299712
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/hendopolis/status/978004182413299712
    Haven't they already been investigated, twice?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Third time is always the charm.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Lessons will be learned
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Not by the police.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

The headline on this story has a bit of the feeling to me of someone testing the waters, to see how people react so the actual punishment can be tailored accordingly, as people react against what would seem disproportionate, and so through the media raising the possibility.

Smith, Warner could face life ban from CA

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/22908218/steven-smith-david-warner-face-life-ban-ca

A life ban for David Warner would do wonders for the Aussie Test side. Given his long history of indiscipline, cheating and gamesmanship married to a cry-baby attitude when it gets dished out to him, plus a flat-track bully batting style that works only in Australia and India, he is one of the more loathsome figures in world sport and it would be good to kick him out.

However, even though he is clearly unfit to be captain I would be sorry to think Steve Smith was totally lost to the Test arena. A twelve month ban for being an utter twit and silly bully would perhaps be more proportionate.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Scott_P said:
    The phrasing of this apology is interesting. He apologised for Labour's anti-semitism. But it's his personal anti-Semitic antics that are the problem here.

It reminds me very much of his condemning all violence in Venezuela. The government was the one doing most of the killing, but as they were his good friends and fellow self-proclaimed socialists he couldn't bear to call them out.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Meeting of his MPs tomorrow night re this matter and Sky reporting that Corbyn has refused to attend.

The descent of the labour party from an opposition to a hard left anti Semitic party is deeply worrying and I get no pleasure from saying it.

The PLP must act and if they do not., they will be responsible for overseeing the end of labour as we have known it

Just so sad
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

To *effectively* jam GPS takes a bit more than mis-tuning a walkie talkie. Hence quite a bit of money was spent on the selective denial system.

The military code was encrypted - not to hide it from the enemy, but for 2 other reasons. The first was digital signature - the encryption ensures that faking a signal is hard. The second was that if you have the encryption key, it become possible to get a lock when the signal is lower strength than the jamming.
    The closest thing to an identified source in the FT story is "allies of Gavin Williamson," who I am now convinced has a firm strategy of being an arsehole like IDS only more so, in the hope it gets him where it got IDS. This is a non-story which will go away but leave a faint trace of a memory in the brains of Col. & Mrs Tory-Bigot of Gavin standing up for Blighty, again.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    And since Stalin was carrying out anti-Semitic purges long after the Red Army had liberated and documented Auschwitz that doesn't really move the debate forward much...
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Scott_P said:
    And what has anti-fascism got to do with anything?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

An interesting header for which many thanks.

An unkind person might point out that when a similar article was written in November 2016 a certain Mr Meeks wrote this -

"When employment is at record levels in Britain, it is quirky to worry about machines destroying jobs and wealth in the short term. Technology will free up humans to do more of hitherto unappreciated but newly valued activities. Different skills will be required so some will be losers (including many lawyers) but there will be other winners.

Much greater and cheaper computerisation will make it easier for all of us to convert our ideas into reality. That would lead to a huge upsurge in creativity and innovation. Britain's skills base is well suited to exploit such a world."

Still I agree that there will be - and will need to be - much more focus on a fair sharing out of the spoils from a changed world of work.

PS But if I am going to be a horse can I be Frankel please. A life of winning exceptionally and being adulated followed by luxurious retirement and sex on tap. I mean, what's not to like..... :)

Frankel: a victim of sex trafficking. Discuss.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

I thought I'd read that for the funds under investigation, the receiving party had checked with the Electoral Commission that it was OK to take it.

If that really was the case, it really seems as though the rules are being retro-fitted to put them in the wrong.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

The closest thing to an identified source in the FT story is "allies of Gavin Williamson," who I am now convinced has a firm strategy of being an arsehole like IDS only more so, in the hope it gets him where it got IDS.

"The lightweight man is here to stay, and he's turning up the cringe factor."
  • Options

Charles said:

viewcode said:

(*) Ooops
    It's an area I know nothing about. Could you recommend a primer?
    It’s a catch all term so no primer that I know of. This is ok as a start

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_biology
This discussion has been closed.