Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Lib Dem Conference: Once more unto the breach

SystemSystem Posts: 11,005
edited September 2013 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Lib Dem Conference: Once more unto the breach

Lib Dem Conferences have always been activist focussed, less so since entering government certainly but (possibly excepting a couple of larger set piece speeches) the primary audience is usually the one sitting in the room wearing garishly yellow lanyards.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,281
    edited September 2013
    I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
    Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
    Follow your spirit; and, upon this charge
    Cry 'God for Nick! The UK and Saint Vince!'
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious summer by this sun of York.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious summer by this sun of York.

Tut tut, that's Richard III, not Henry V.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    but in which City was St Vincent born?
  • Options
    Thanks for this Corporeal, another good piece by you.

Nice to see the Lib Dems enjoying government and conference.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

but in which City was St Vincent born?

Google says Vince was born in York, so that's a very good reference Dr Spyn

• Options
    More on the LibDem conference:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/liberaldemocrats/10316083/Sketch-Danny-Alexander-robot-in-disguise.html

[LibDems might prefer not to follow the link]
  • Options
    CaveatCaveat Posts: 15
    edited September 2013
    £600 million pa squandered on free school meals for 5-7 yo.
    Why not 5-16 yo?
    Or 3-11 yo?

Or spend £430 pa on giving every pupil a good quality lap-top?
    Or plenty of books?
    Or returning the school day to its old-fashioned 9-4 (better, given that the parent will be working, 8.30 -5.30, with extra-curricular activities to keep pupils occupied and active)? Providing an extra 2-3hrs/day of usefully-occupied educational time might well be more useful than a hot meal at lunchtime.

But then, the LDs in the staff-room would then need to work longer hours, whilst now they'll get a free meal too, eh Cleggy/Laws?

Better yet, why not fund State boarding schools to deal with the increasingly prevalent educational underclass that neither teachers nor Soc Ser seem capable of protecting from their dysfunctional mother (and her current partner) as so many tragic cases have shown.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Interesting Corporeal

I still have a vestige of a soft spot for the Lib Dems though it's almost negligible. Perhaps if Danny Alexander David Laws and Nick Clegg lose their seat that'll suffice.
  • Options
    Last scene of all,
    That ends this strange eventful history,
    Is second childishness and mere oblivion,
    Sans seats, sans ayes, sans dogshit, sans everything.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited September 2013
    Cheers Corporeal – you’ve managed again to strike just the right balance of gravity & levity.

‘It’s why Lord Oakeshott is now a punch-line, and Nick is secure through 2015.’

So it would seem – but I doubt it will prevent Oakshotts from repeating his mantra next year. It’s the only time the media takes any notice of him,
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    @Antifrank

"Sans seats, sans ayes, sans dogshit, sans everything."

To this delightful Scottish lament.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK-E1f-YKBA
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    The one thing I've gleaned from my emails with Corporeal in the last couple of days, and with Mike and his threads.

There's no appetite to remove Clegg as Leader amongst Lib Dem activists and supporters.

If only Ladbrokes offered better odds than 2/7 on Clegg being the Lib Dem leader at the next election.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    @Corporeal

Your judgement of a little over 37.5+ seats for the LibDems marries closely with the latest ARSE projection of 40.

Presently I'd assess their figure at close to 45.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    German Elections:

Clearly in the last few days the SPD has gained a couple of points at the expense of the CDU. The FDP vote is crucial. If the AfD does cross the 5% threshold, and the FDP don't [ even though they are poles apart on Europe ], Merkel for all her big CDU votes would need to sit in government with the SPD.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Interesting Corporeal

I still have a vestige of a soft spot for the Lib Dems though it's almost negligible. Perhaps if Danny Alexander David Laws and Nick Clegg lose their seat that'll suffice.

Better still, if they joined the Tories !
  • Options
    JackW said:

@Corporeal

Your judgement of a little over 37.5+ seats for the LibDems marries closely with the latest ARSE projection of 40.

Laddies currently have 41-50 LibDem GE seats on offer at 7/2. Pretty fair value imo.
  • Options
    It's actually been a very good conference for the Lib Dems and the Comeback Clegg in particular. Only Vince and that bloke in the sinecure have embarrassed themselves with their clunky attempts at positioning. But it's Miliband's turn next, and that will be fascinating. If he can flatter the vanities of the Right and maybe hijack another Tory slogan then the pundits may permit him a second wind; if not, and everyone's just bored, then it'll be curtains.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    tim said:

@Caveat

This is a sound researched policy.
    Save your fire for Daves marriage tax break, that's been proven to launch a thousand Date Night photoshoots, nothing else, pure symbolism

As tim was very helpful in reminding me before, the advantage with free school meals like this is that block grant to provide for all children allows kitchens top be more effective - and hence why it's better than targetting the money at solely those on lower incomes (in the primary setting). Very difficult to extend to secondary schools where food is canteen like and there are a plethora of ways lunch is taken.
  • Options

JackW said:

@Corporeal

Laddies currently have 41-50 LibDem GE seats on offer at 7/2. Pretty fair value imo.
    Agreed.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Caveat said:

£600 million pa squandered on free school meals for 5-7 yo.
    Why not 5-16 yo?
    Or 3-11 yo?

Or spend £430 pa on giving every pupil a good quality lap-top?
    Or plenty of books?
    Or returning the school day to its old-fashioned 9-4 (better, given that the parent will be working, 8.30 -5.30, with extra-curricular activities to keep pupils occupied and active)? Providing an extra 2-3hrs/day of usefully-occupied educational time might well be more useful than a hot meal at lunchtime.

But then, the LDs in the staff-room would then need to work longer hours, whilst now they'll get a free meal too, eh Cleggy/Laws?

Better yet, why not fund State boarding schools to deal with the increasingly prevalent educational underclass that neither teachers nor Soc Ser seem capable of protecting from their dysfunctional mother (and her current partner) as so many tragic cases have shown.

Yes promises, promises. Wheres this lovely £600,000,000 coming from? Tax from the housing bubble? More cash from our ground-down armed forces? Maybe someone high up in the EU has promised Clegg an inder the table donation? I love it when the L/dems start making promises like this; it shows how empty their fount of political philosophy is.
  • Options
    I see SeanT has written a better blog today.

Would he have done so without the derision his drivel of yesturday received here?

And why is SeanT getting so excited about the value of his Camden Town flat ?

Unless he plans to leave London the value of it is irrelevant to him.

Although if he does drop dead as per the Thai soothsayer it would give a larger inheritance for his daughters.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899

JackW said:

@Corporeal

Very good value that.
  • Options
    http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-09-12/europes-countries-ranked-by-debt-per-capita?campaign_id=otbrn.bw.anniv

Interesting statistics. Amongst the European countries with the least debt per capita are Spain, Greece, Portugal and Italy.

The Netherlands and Norway's per capita debt is slightly smaller than those of the UK.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920
    surbiton said:

German Elections:

Clearly in the last few days the SPD has gained a couple of points at the expense of the CDU. The FDP vote is crucial. If the AfD does cross the 5% threshold, and the FDP don't [ even though they are poles apart on Europe ], Merkel for all her big CDU votes would need to sit in government with the SPD.

Well, the FDP is also (by German standards) quite eurosceptic too. There has to be a small, bit meaningful, chance that neither the FDP nor the AfD cross the 5% barrier. My source in Berlin tells me that Merkel's preferred outcome is a grand coalition with the SPD, so that might very well be the outcome.

Personally, I suspect that many would be AfD voters will vote FDP as they look more likely to cross the 5% barrier. In which case we could see the current coalition continue.
  • Options
    Also, as the chief technology officer of a publicly quoted German technology company said to me "don't forget the pirates..."
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited September 2013
    Worrying News from Europe

The European Car Manufacturers Association published its monthly report on new car registrations today. It showed that new car registrations in August had fallen by 5.0% in August after a promising 5.0% rise in July. This leaves July as the only month in 2013 not to have shown a decline on its equivalent month in 2012.

Part of the reason for the reversal of trend is that August this year had one less working day than in 2012, and July 2013 one working day more. But this factor alone can't disguise disappointment that the mid-summer recovery in the EU's car registration figures may not be sustained to year end.

The UK is the only EU country in which car registrations are up over the first eight months of 2013, and by a sizeable amount, +10.44%, with the growth rate in August increasing to +10.9%.

Compare this to the other major EU countries: German August registrations contracted by -5.5%, Italian by -6.6%, French by -10.5% and Spanish by -18.3%.

In August, the overall growth rate of -5.0% reverted to the eight month trend of -5.2%. Total registrations of 7,841,596 units to date this year represents the lowest January to August level ever recorded.

What makes this so disappointing is that the July figures indicated that the decline in registrations in continental Europe may have bottomed out.

In July, Italy was the only major market to shrink (-1.6%), while growth reached +0.9% in France, +2.1% in Germany and +14.9% in Spain with +12.7% in the UK Overall registrations were up 5.0% on July 2012.

Car registrations, second perhaps to house prices, are a major leading indicator of an economy's heath. Whereas, we can welcome the relative strength of registrations in UK, the news that the EU economy's revival may be faltering is not good news. A high differential in economic performance between the UK and its major trading parthers in Europe can persist for short periods, but sustainable recovery will almost certainly depend on the Eurozone block following our path out of recession.

A blip or a trend? We probably need to wait for the September figures and hope they show the same encouraging signs as those in July. In meantime we should all be cautious about our own as well as the EU's recovery.

• Options
    Avery, on the other hand, the Zew German business confidence number released today was massively ahead of expectations, and running at a multi year high. So take your pick :-)

I'm long a Eurozone recovery, and liking what I'm seeing
  • Options
    Most interesting part of the Zew was people's views on current economic environment which leapt to 30 from 18
  • Options
    Boris showing his attention to detail again:

“Right idea, Jezza – wrong seat. I hope fervently that the great man can be persuaded to stand against Cleggers in Sheffield, where his majority (unlike Ed’s) is very frail indeed."

Doncaster North maj 10909
    Sheffield Hallam maj 15284

Add on that Clarkson would be likely to reduce EdM's majority slightly while he would likely increase Clegg's majority and that demographic trends will do likewise.

Can anyone really make a case that Boris is a suitable leader of the Conservative party?
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Don't the Europeans know that the way to prosperity is to borrow more money to spend on raising house prices and importing tat ?

• Options
    edited September 2013

Boris showing his attention to detail again:

“Right idea, Jezza – wrong seat. I hope fervently that the great man can be persuaded to stand against Cleggers in Sheffield, where his majority (unlike Ed’s) is very frail indeed."

Doncaster North maj 10909
    Sheffield Hallam maj 15284

Add on that Clarkson would be likely to reduce EdM's majority slightly while he would likely increase Clegg's majority and that demographic trends will do likewise.

Can anyone really make a case that Boris is a suitable leader of the Conservative party?

Edit: Oops, I have Boris' attention to detail
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    rcs1000 said:

Avery, on the other hand, the Zew German business confidence number released today was massively ahead of expectations, and running at a multi year high. So take your pick :-)

You are Europe's greatest toreador, Mr. Smithson!

I am not suggesting you renounce this role, at least yet.

But these are perplexing figures which deserve airing. I suspect that working day number differences may account for much of the August decline, but pulse rates would benefit from figures which avoided the need for such gloss. Remember the snow in the early stages of the Osborne recovery? It only gave the doubters the means to throw missiles.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited September 2013
    "It’s why Lord Oakeshott is now a punch-line, and Nick Clegg (as Mike beat me to writing) is secure through 2015."

LOL

Clegg and his ostrich faction might be slightly more persuasive if it really was just a few opinion polls and not year after year after year of the lib dem base getting hammered in local elections on the ground and their membership hemorrhaging. Something that is painfully obvious by the somewhat sparse attendance at their conference.

Nor can the obvious reluctance of any prospective new leader to become the coalition shit magnet this far out from the election be spun as some kind of vote of confidence in Clegg by anyone other than the deluded and the gullible.

The plain fact of the matter is that Clegg is toxic and he's going to remain toxic. So if the lib dems really are suicidal enough to keep him as leader for 2015 then they will have nobody but themselves to blame for the result.

Nor will it be just a matter of slotting in Farron or Cable and magically rebuilding that base in the blink of an eye after 2015. It will take many, many years to do so because the voters trust is not easily regained just with a change of faces in opposition as labour is finding out. Something that might have been more bearable for those real lib dems who still know what they stand for had Clegg not been so incompetent and inept at gaining anything lasting and meaningful from the coalition. Something like voting reform or Lords reform instead of some nice ministerial cars for a few of his closest chums and MPs alongside the meaningless job title of deputy prime minister for calamity Clegg himself.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

Don't the Europeans know that the way to prosperity is to borrow more money to spend on raising house prices and importing tat ?

Continental Europe is odd, ar.

Germans drive big cars and wear jeans and an expensive Swiss watch.

Spaniards drive small cars and wear Prado and Swatches.

We need to do some more research into intra-bloc cultural differences before drawing any final conclusions on consumption.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Also, as the chief technology officer of a publicly quoted German technology company said to me "don't forget the pirates..."

In Detroit, I am told they say "don't forget the pilates".

• Options
    AveryLP said:

rcs1000 said:

You are Europe's greatest toreador, Mr. Smithson!
    You know, I am not universally bullish on Europe by any means. Where I am bullish in on those select countries that have chosen to replicate Mrs Thatcher's early 1980s reforms and free up their sclerotic labour markets.

So, I like Spain, Germany, Ireland and Estonia. I am modestly positive about the Netherlands, Austria, Belgium, and Portugal.

And I worry a great deal about France and Italy - the two countries which believe the theory that the best way to deal with unemployment is to make it illegal to fire people.

Fact for the day: private sector employment in Spain, ex-construction, is now almost back at pre-crisis levels. (Spanish construction and related activities - at its peak - accounted for more than one-in-five of the workforce. Ireland, only modestly less insane, was at one-in-seven.)
  • Options

I wouldn't be too hard on Boris. After the Coalition was formed, there were no end of Labour supporters on here claiming that Clegg's seat was now a given for them.
  • Options

I wouldn't be too hard on Boris. After the Coalition was formed, there were no end of Labour supporters on here claiming that Clegg's seat was now a given for them.
    Were there? If so they were just showing that they knew fck all about Sheffield Hallam.

But even so they would have been only Labour supporters talking on a niche blog rather than someone who aspired to be Conservative leader blurting out his drivel for the whole world to read.

As the Conservatives have already failed to win one election through having a leader who preferred his fantasy world to facts, it would not be a good idea for their next leader to have a similar flaw.
  • Options
    ICM poll on Scottish Independence

The latest poll for the Guardian by ICM has 32% of British voters backing Scottish independence, roughly the same level of support found in Scotland, with 52% of British voters in favour of keeping the UK intact.

Significantly, it finds the highest level of support for independence amongst Labour voters across Britain, with 35% believing that Scotland should split from the UK, and 52% against.

That rate is more than double the level of support for independence among Scottish Labour voters found by other polls and 10 percentage points higher than the 25% of pro-independence Labour supporters found in a Scotland-only poll by ICM published at the weekend.

That finding will alarm Ed Miliband, the party's UK leader, and Scottish Labour leaders as they struggle against internal opposition to agree a new blueprint for greater Scottish devolution that could include splitting up parts of the welfare state and giving the Holyrood parliament greater tax powers.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/sep/17/alex-salmond-aide-alex-bell-scottish
  • Options
    edited September 2013

Presumably Boris will as he is the grass roots darling and his speech to conference is usually their highlight, much to the annoyance of Tiny Blair Cameron.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Chris Ship @chrisshipitv

PM message to bunny ears culprit MT @David_Cameron: @Manutuilagi was great to welcome u...No need to apologise I know it was just bit of fun

• Options
    Bob Worcester forecasts Lib Dems to be reduced to 24 seats in 2015. I’ll run naked down Whitehall if that’s the result

http://stephentall.org/2013/09/17/bob-worcester-forecasts-lib-dems-to-be-reduced-to-24-seats-in-2015-ill-run-naked-down-whitehall-if-thats-the-result/?wt=2
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    People still listen to Bob "bad night" Wooster ??
  • Options

The latest poll for the Guardian by ICM has 32% of British voters backing Scottish independence, roughly the same level of support found in Scotland, with 52% of British voters in favour of keeping the UK intact.

Significantly, it finds the highest level of support for independence amongst Labour voters across Britain, with 35% believing that Scotland should split from the UK, and 52% against.

That rate is more than double the level of support for independence among Scottish Labour voters found by other polls and 10 percentage points higher than the 25% of pro-independence Labour supporters found in a Scotland-only poll by ICM published at the weekend.

That finding will alarm Ed Miliband, the party's UK leader, and Scottish Labour leaders as they struggle against internal opposition to agree a new blueprint for greater Scottish devolution that could include splitting up parts of the welfare state and giving the Holyrood parliament greater tax powers.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/sep/17/alex-salmond-aide-alex-bell-scottish

Two nation Labour. The Scots are nonplussed by EdM . Who can blame them ?

• Options
    TGOHF said:

People still listen to Bob "bad night" Wooster ??

It seems some lib dems do ;-)
  • Options
    edited September 2013

Not really. Factions of SLAB and little Ed are already at each others throats due to Falkirk and the uber Blairites trying to stamp their authority all over SLAB and Lamont. Nor were they ever likely to agree to anything concrete or believable on Devolution after they themselves campaigned against and ruled out Devo Max along with all the other unionist parties.

Their real problem is that Lamont and SLAB were counting on outside aid and activists being bused in to help them on the ground. Not only was that an incredibly risky move in the first place but they will be very lucky to get a huge influx of volunteers to do so because of the internal split.

SLAB are going to have to face how they will cope with a huge ground campaign and GOTV operation. Since help from SCON and the scottish lib dems is not only the last thing they need but unlikely to be forthcoming anyway. SCON and the scottish lib dems have one eye on the scottish elections and wouldn't mind at all if SLAB exhaust all their resources on the referendum. Something that SLAB is becoming painfully aware of, which is going to cause the Brownite "united with labour" and the Blairite "better together" factions to get more than a trifle upset as the months go on.

• Options
    AveryLP said:

Spaniards drive small cars and wear Prado and Swatches

Is Prado an Iberian art-based fragrance, or do you have Boris's attention to detail?
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915

Bob Worcester forecasts Lib Dems to be reduced to 24 seats in 2015. I’ll run naked down Whitehall if that’s the result

http://stephentall.org/2013/09/17/bob-worcester-forecasts-lib-dems-to-be-reduced-to-24-seats-in-2015-ill-run-naked-down-whitehall-if-thats-the-result/?wt=2

I would open one of the bottles of champagne in storage since my aborted wedding 21 years ago.
  • Options

I would open one of the bottles of champagne in storage since my aborted wedding 21 years ago.
    Pip pip, your trousseau is showing Miss Haversham

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    That Bell guy's right. To date the Indyref has to be one of the most boring campaigns ever, Eck's plan is to bore everyone into separation through sheer tedium.
  • Options
    edited September 2013

That Bell guy's right. To date the Indyref has to be one of the most boring campaigns ever, Eck's plan is to bore everyone into separation through sheer tedium.

Twill be enlivened no end after the publication tomorrow morning of the first McARSE Scottish Referendum Projection

Even PB's esteemed Scottish Nationalist Personage, Stuart Dickson, has indicated it will be the highlight of his year. What greater endorsement could there be ??

Countdown - 11 hours 38 minutes 50 seconds

• Options

If Cammie's new Cast Iron referendum on the EU isn't yet another amusing fiction for the gullible, do you really expect it to be punctuated by skydiving eurosceptics or Farage and Cammie getting into some kind of 'it's a knockout' TV game show with an enraptured public hanging on their every word and deed?

Hardly.
  • Options
    UKIP Conference line up.

http://www.ukip.org/newsroom/news/860-2013-conference-line-up

Mark LIttlewood is giving a speech: "An Economic Strategy for Britain".
  • Options

Mel Gibson's rallying cry to his extras was " Freedom ! ".
    Salmond's is " Boredom ! " .

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624
    edited September 2013

I suspect they are planning to slowly build momentum to a fever pitch around the the time of the actual referendum. No need to blow all their effort right now.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Twill be enlivened no end after the publication tomorrow morning of the first McARSE Scottish Referendum Projection

Even PB's esteemed Scottish Nationalist Personage, Stuart Dickson, has indicated it will the highlight of his year. What greater endorsement could there be ??

Countdown - 11 hours 38 minutes 50 seconds

only a rebuttal on Scot goes Plop could be greater praise.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

If Cammie's new Cast Iron referendum on the EU isn't yet another amusing fiction for the gullible, do you really expect it to be punctuated by skydiving eurosceptics or Farage and Cammie getting into some kind of 'it's a knockout' TV game show with an enraptured public hanging on their every word and deed?

Hardly.
    I'm sure there's a subject and an object in that sentence somewhere but I can't be bothered looking, it's like studying academic german again.
  • Options
    edited September 2013

Mick_Pork said:

Hardly.
    I'm sure there's a subject and an object in that sentence somewhere but I can't be bothered looking, it's like studying academic german again.
    LOL

Calm down dear. You always get upset when Cammie's Cast Iron referendum gets mentioned and you can't think of anything meaningful to say. Just like Cammie himself in fact.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I suspect they are planning to slowly build momentum to a fever pitch around the the time of the actual referendum. No need to blow all their effort right now.
    There's more chance of Anne Widdecombe reaching a climax in the next year than this moribund campaign.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624

kle4 said:

There's more chance of Anne Widdecombe reaching a climax in the next year than this moribund campaign.
    I wish I could believe that, but I'm too pessimistic.

• Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

The boredom threshold of the PB Hodges and rightwingers on PB is no more meaningful or informative than the scottish tory surge was. Their frustrated impotence is matched only by their ignorance on the subject.
  • Options

I don't think providing excitement for etiolated, old Unionists is much of a priority for Eck. It's a bit like Jim Davidson complaining Derek Jarman films don't do it for him.

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

The boredom threshold of the PB Hodges and rightwingers on PB is no more meaningful or informative than the scottish tory surge was. Their frustrated impotence is matched only by their ignorance on the subject.

The average PBer has a much better grasp of the issues than the average scottish voter.
  • Options

I don't think providing excitement for etiolated, old Unionists is much of a priority for Eck. It's a bit like Jim Davidson complaining Derek Jarman films don't do it for him.

Rubbish.

Jim Davidson's favourite film is Derek Jarman's film "Blue"

• Options

He has to provide some excitement for the Nats before he can even think of anyone else. Dull, dull dull.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Rubbish.

Jim Davidson's favourite film is Derek Jarman's film "Blue"

I thought it might be Sebastiane at a push.

'It's the arrers, innit.'
  • Options
    kle4 said:

If you want a concrete example of how the ground campaign can be key then look no further than the AV referendum. One of the most disasterous things the lib dems did was to scorn outside help and basically snub those who might have been a huge help to them with the ground campaign. In scotland the scottish leadership of the lib dems continued their ongoing hostility to the SNP so for quite obvious reasons the SNP didn't exactly pull out all the stops to help campaign for it despite there being a fairly sizable number in the SNP being receptive to AV. (not all as AV is a problematic solution for a westminster GE and some did view it as little more than a "miserable little compromise") So the AV referendum had very little support on the ground in scotland and that was telling. Clegg's toxicity made it almost an impossible sell anyway but to arrogantly dismiss help from other parties was an incredible blunder for Clegg and the scottish lib dems.

The ground campaign and GOTV matters and the lower the turnout the more critical it will be.

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,822
    Evening all :)

Ah, Liberal Democrat and before that Liberal Conferences (or Assemblies as they were called). An interesting experience where those for whom politics is a hobby meet those for whom it's a passion and those for whom it's a living.

It's easy to fall into the goldfish bowl and start making assumptions from inside.

That said, no LD member I know is under any illusion that 2015 will be anything other than a very hard fight - wagons will be pulled round 75 or so seats and the rest will not only be left, they will be stripped of any and every activist and financial resource.

Outside the 75, the results will be horrendous - vote shares will crash, deposits will be lost and there will be plenty of fourth, fifth and even sixth places.

Inside the 75, there will be setbacks and failures but other places will not only survive but even prosper. For me, the barometer is the 46 MPs won in 1997. If the Party stays above that, Nick may not be vindicated but he will have done enough irrespective of whether that number means in terms of participation in Government or not.

For what little it's worth, I suspect the Liberal Democrat MPs will be on the Opposition benches in the next Commons.
  • Options

Mick_Pork said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

The average PBer has a much better grasp of the issues than the average scottish voter.

Those issues being how muslims and lefties are to blame for everything and how Dan Hodges is always right. Humbling indeed. ;)
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Those issues being how muslims and lefties are to blame for everything and how Dan Hodges is always right. Humbling indeed. ;)
    Er yeah Mick because that's all people talk about, nobody ever mentions Scotland on PB.
  • Options
    edited September 2013

Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Er yeah Mick because that's all people talk about, nobody ever mentions Scotland on PB.
    They weren't even allowed to for a time due to the outrage of swivel-eyed loons, or did you somehow forget that? Er oops!

• Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

Ah, Liberal Democrat and before that Liberal Conferences (or Assemblies as they were called). An interesting experience where those for whom politics is a hobby meet those for whom it's a passion and those for whom it's a living.

It's easy to fall into the goldfish bowl and start making assumptions from inside.

That said, no LD member I know is under any illusion that 2015 will be anything other than a very hard fight - wagons will be pulled round 75 or so seats and the rest will not only be left, they will be stripped of any and every activist and financial resource.

Outside the 75, the results will be horrendous - vote shares will crash, deposits will be lost and there will be plenty of fourth, fifth and even sixth places.

Inside the 75, there will be setbacks and failures but other places will not only survive but even prosper. For me, the barometer is the 46 MPs won in 1997. If the Party stays above that, Nick may not be vindicated but he will have done enough irrespective of whether that number means in terms of participation in Government or not.

For what little it's worth, I suspect the Liberal Democrat MPs will be on the Opposition benches in the next Commons.

A very honourable contribution dear Stodge. 1997 is indeed an important benchmark. Your problem will be persuading many activists to abandon their home constituencies at GE2015. Much easier in a by-election but people like to fight their own patch, even when little or no hope. I should know, I'm a Scottish Tory!
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

They weren't even allowed to for a time due to the outrage of swivel-eyed loons, or did you somehow forget that? Er oops!

Scotland has always been discussed on PB, many PBers have gallantly stayed awake through the first 2 years of the campaign despite the obvious urge to fall asleep.
  • Options

Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Scotland has always been discussed on PB
    Wrong.

• Options
    stodge said:

wagons will be pulled round 75 or so seats and the rest will not only be left, they will be stripped of any and every activist and financial resource..

Isn't that just the standard LD general election strategy?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,445
    "Court rejects Clive Palmer application to suspend vote counting in Fairfax

Judge rules against billionaire businessman but orders AEC to sort votes again at two booths where a mix-up occurred":

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/17/clive-palmer-vote-counting-fairfax?CMP=twt_gu
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Scotland has always been discussed on PB
    Wrong.

You've bored even me with that one.

I'm off to bed, nytol as they used to say.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,445
    edited September 2013

It is possible if the LD poll rating remains at about 12% where it is now. Everyone, including myself, is assuming it'll rise to about 16-17% by the time of the general election.
  • Options
    edited September 2013

stodge said:

wagons will be pulled round 75 or so seats and the rest will not only be left, they will be stripped of any and every activist and financial resource..

Isn't that just the standard LD general election strategy?

Some might forget now but Clegg was actually looking a little precarious immediately after the election and he himself conceded the result was disappointing since he won less seats than Kennedy did. He and the lib dems wanted and expected more. Whether that was realisitic or not it was certainly a more viable strategy to achieving it than not even bothering to campaign for as many gains as possible.

If you don't even campaign with a view to getting more than the seats you hold then don't be surprised that the result is an ever shrinking party.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

It is possible if the LD poll rating remains at about 12% where it is now. Everyone, including myself, is assuming it'll rise to about 16-17% by the time of the general election.
    Surely for the LDs the key variable is how low the Conservative vote is? The LD numbers haven't moved since late 2010.

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

I assume it will rise just as I assume the kipper vote will fall. The question is not just by how much but where and in what seats since I also assume it will not be uniform across the country but with quite significant differences in some areas.
  • Options

UKIP Conference line up.

Why no lunch on Friday? :(
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Andy_JS said:

I assume it will rise just as I assume the kipper vote will fall. The question is not just by how much but where and in what seats since I also assume it will not be uniform across the country but with quite significant differences in some areas.
    I'm expecting a low turnout election, and a strong UKIP finish. Mostly because Labour and the Conservatives both look clueless.

• Options
    MikeK said:

UKIP Conference line up.

Looks like a typo. 12:30 coffee should prob be 12:30 lunch.

• Options

MikeK said:

UKIP Conference line up.

Ahhhhhhh! What a relief. See you in Friday then?
  • Options
    edited September 2013

Mick_Pork said:

Andy_JS said:

I'm expecting a low turnout election, and a strong UKIP finish.
    Yes to the first no to the second unless the tories go completely loopy over Europe again like they did back around the time of Eastleigh and the local elections. Which is possible but depends on their polling as much as eurosceptics on maneuvers. If Cammie looks like a totally lost cause then all hell would break loose.

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited September 2013
    MikeK said:

MikeK said:

UKIP Conference line up.

No, I'm afraid not. I believe Mr Kendrick said he'd be there though.

It looks like a really nice venue!

http://www.c-h-w.com
  • Options

MikeK said:

MikeK said:

UKIP Conference line up.

Oh, what a shame, we could have met up at the bar and have a splash or two.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

Andy_JS said:

I'm expecting a low turnout election, and a strong UKIP finish.
    Yes to the first no to the second unless the tories go completely loopy over Europe again like they did back around the time of Eastleigh and the local elections. Which is possible but depends on their polling as much as eurosceptics on maneuvers. If Cammie looks like a totally lost cause then all hell would break loose.

The Conservatives are going to be campaigning on a record of tax rises, voting against an EU referendum in 2011, and (Avery will disagree) not reducing government spending. That looks like a dog to me.

• Options
    MikeK said:

MikeK said:

MikeK said:

UKIP Conference line up.

Oh, what a shame, we could have met up at the bar and have a splash or two.
    I'll be with you in spirit. :-)

Hope you enjoy the day. It looks like a good line up.
  • Options
    New Thread
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    I am now utterly fed up with the weekly round of bickering that passes for debate on Independence on Scottish TV these days, and I am a political anorak. Think of all those long meandering threads on here going around in circles making the same points about voting systems over and over again, then multiply it and you get the picture. Most Scots voters have made up their minds already and are now tuning out of the debate altogether, so we might even see increasing resentment to this issue continually overshadowing the focus on bread and butter issues.

Devolution helped the SNP deliver this Indy Referendum, but it also makes their argument that the Scots are often governed by Governments that they didn't vote for at Westminster so much weaker as a result. The Scots do now in effect, get two bites at the cherry when it comes to who will Govern them in Edinburgh and at Westminster. The Banking crisis and deep recession we have just experienced makes it so much harder for the SNP to convince voters about taking a risk which could cause yet further economic uncertainty in the longer term.

After the Referendum kicks Independence into the long grass for another generation, our politicians would do well to give constitutional/vote system issues a very long rest while they concentrate on delivering the public services they do have overall control of up here.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    fitalass said:

I am now utterly fed up with the weekly round of bickering that passes for debate on Independence on Scottish TV these days

Good.
    The PB scottish tories are always amusing but certainly not the target audience for large numbers of don't knows or indeed large numbers at all. Cameron's incompetent coalition has saw SCON numbers tumble even further in scotland yet his obsequious cheerleaders fear to ever say a bad word against him.

Nor are any predictions and observations from a scottish tory surger and PB's leading anti-tipster anything other than irrelevant, though admittedly always very funny.

The scottish tories opposed devolution and we all know how well that turned out for them.

This discussion has been closed.