Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The danger for Corbyn is that his vulnerability on antisemitis

Comments

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,961
    So how many silver bullets is it that the PB Tories have loaded up against Jezzah?

I make it:

Association with IRA
    Association with Hamas
    Association with Venezuela
    Being a Stalinist/Communist/Marxist
    Not wearing a tie
    Bonking Abbott
    Not immediately demanding a nuclear strike on Moscow after Salisbury

Good luck with the freshly minted hollow point antisemitism round, lads.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    edited March 2018
    I noticed that Jezza's comment on the mural was directly after one by Yvonne Ridley.

How did he not know it was antisemitic when she was posting on it?!

This is the woman who wrote of D Miliband;

“That self-serving, vain pipsqueak, foreign secretary David Milliband, who trampled over the dead babies of Gaza to stand shoulder to shoulder with Israel… Milliband is a gutless, little weasel who lost more than his foreskin when he was circumcised.”

https://yvonneridley.org/analysis-and-opinion/israels-60th-independence-day/
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,843
    President of the Board of Deputies of British Jews:

“[Jeremy Corbyn]’s fostered a culture in which people feel free to come out with rank anti-Semitism… the political sea, or perhaps I should call it a sewer, in which he swims, is totally polluted by anti-Semitism.”

https://order-order.com/2018/03/26/board-of-deputies-chief-corbyn-swims-in-a-sewer-of-anti-semitism/
  • Options

So how many silver bullets is it that the PB Tories have loaded up against Jezzah?

I make it:

Association with IRA
    Association with Hamas
    Not wearing a tie
    Bonking Abbott

Even you must admit bonking Diane shows Corbyn has poor judgment and ergo is unfit to be PM.
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Corbyn may think he is not technically anti Jewish but he is largely anti Israel, just as he is anti American and his support for the Palestinians and the Russians is clearly as a counterweight to them

the two.
    Corbyn comes across to me as a passive antisemite. Someone who would never, ever think of himself as one, and is genuinely horrified that he's called one, yet his actions and words give succour to antisemites.

He's thick and dangerous.
    That is quite possible. Even this so-called artwork at first glance seems more about masons than Jews, especially if the viewer is not attuned to anti-semitic tropes
    Or it's possible to create antisemitic tropes to appeal to antisemites and 'hide' them behind masonic and other tropes?

Besides, as someone pointed out the other day, it's not even any good.
    The painter's comments about Jews complaining that he was showing up "their beloved Rothschild and Warburg for the demons they are" show what he was aiming at, anyway.
    One day those behind the Leave campaigns’ posters will have as much honesty about what they were aiming at.

But most Leave advocates are simply satisfied that they were better shots.
    Cry me a river.
    So your concern about the anti-Semitic mural is, as Corbynites believe, entirely insincere and party political. Noted.
    You don't know me, and I have no desire to know you, so I'd be grateful if you'd stop speculating about my motivations.
    Leave advocates will struggle to climb on their high horses after they've been rolling around in the gutter.
    There were no ugly racial stereotypes in VoteLeave's materials. You can find individual supporters of the campaign that were engaged in ugliness, but the same is true of those on the Remain side arguing white Europeans were a "better fit" for integration than us brown people. I don't recall Sean ever making bigoted remarks. Not that that matters to your derangement on this issue.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

I make it:

Association with IRA
    Association with Hamas
    Not wearing a tie
    Bonking Abbott

Ignoring the idiocies in your list, you seem to be making the point that it is to Labour's benefit that there are several very serious reasons why Corbyn should never get anywhere near No 10, rather than just one.

It's a view.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,013
    Does it include spending by the Russian government?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Corbyn may think he is not technically anti Jewish but he is largely anti Israel, just as he is anti American and his support for the Palestinians and the Russians is clearly as a counterweight to them

Or it's possible to create antisemitic tropes to appeal to antisemites and 'hide' them behind masonic and other tropes?

The painter's comments about Jews complaining that he was showing up "their beloved Rothschild and Warburg for the demons they are" show what he was aiming at, anyway.
    One day those behind the Leave campaigns’ posters will have as much honesty about what they were aiming at.

Cry me a river.
    So your concern about the anti-Semitic mural is, as Corbynites believe, entirely insincere and party political. Noted.
    This.

There seems to be a huge disconnect between Corbyn, who has long campaigned against Israels injustices, being blamed for anti-semitism in the Labour party when quite frankly he has done very little to try and make Israel a major issue in his campaigns for leader and PM, if anything his opponents have focused on it.

Compared to Brexit where immigration was used as a trump card as part of the campaign being absolutely fine.

Personally I think it is fair enough to question immigration and wonder if policies should change on it, even if that does excite racist people it is also a legitimate view outside of just racists. These people may hold the views for the wrong reason, they may think it is economically harmful to them when it isn't (though I am not stating that) if you shut down legitimate areas of debate it generally doesn't help things.
    Given that you yourself handwave Hamas' endorsement of genocide, I'm not sure you are the best spokesman on this.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

Perhaps you'd like to ask Putin rather than us
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Danielle Blake - @abradacabla: This is a staffer for @LauraPidcockMP, attacking a Jewish editor of a Jewish paper for correctly pointing out Corbyn is the problem and obstacle to getting anything done regarding anti-Semitism in Labour.
  • Options

I make it:

Association with IRA
    Association with Hamas
    Not wearing a tie
    Bonking Abbott

Even you must admit bonking Diane shows Corbyn has poor judgment and ergo is unfit to be PM.
    I will cast no first stones when it comes to unwise hi jinks from the past. Besides Diane (like most of us) looked quite bonny in her youth.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840

Ishmael_Z said:
    You know as well as anyone that this is about Corbyn's behaviour - not that of Labour members.

Also, selectively focusing on that one stat from the report is not really on. Look at the wider context of that section of the report and it is clear where the problem is.
    The person I was replying was referring to other people's behavior. That is the statistic that reflects the amount with anti-semitic views. Other statistics have relevance to other aspects, such as the how Jewish people view each party in reference to anti-semitism refers to how they view each party in reference to anti-semitism.

@david_herdson
    It's easy to pick out the odd stat and conclude either "no problem here" or "they're all as bad and some are worse". I'm sure you can find individual examples of racist and antisemitic comments from Tory, Lib Dem and SNP members. In organisations of that scale, it's silly to expect zero problems.

To be fair I was using this in reply to someone rather than making my own case of the Tories are the anti-semites, it was more the Labour aren't case by pointing to similarities with the Tories. In groups as large as even as the Lid Dems or SNP, let alone say Tory or Labour voters there are obviously plenty of examples of some of the worst people around. Also if I did want to make the case for partisan advantage I would have probably joined in with the idea of Brexit being racist. Whereas (pretty sure at least) I only generally bring the idea up (without supporting it) as a comparison.

-----------------------------------------
    But where Labour has a specific problem - well beyond that of other parties - is both in the depth of the antisemitism harboured (candidates questioning the Holocaust, for example), and also in the passive anti-Jewish racism tolerated at the highest levels of the party.
    -----------------------------------------

With regards to the candidate considering he was picked locally (AFAIK) that could happen at any time, you could in a way blame Corbyn as he as allowed more power to local parties to pick candidates. The charge that Corbyn's approach to Jewish people allowed this though seems a bit of a stretch IMO.

The talking to Hamas for example I think is justified in the context of the Israeli-Palestine conflict, it is a legitimate viewpoint, as much as controlling immigration is a legitimate viewpoint. We should try not to encourage racists if we hold these legitimate viewpoints but we cannot abandon them because they will make bad people happy.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

"Ratings agency Moody's said new car registrations were likely to fall 5.5% in 2018, making the UK the "worst performing" market of any big European economy.

By contrast, it said Germany, Spain, France and Italy would all see gains.

Moody's said the fall in the value of the pound since the EU referendum had made imported cars more expensive.

It also said Brexit-related uncertainty was "weighing on consumer spending decisions".
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43534484

The government has done its damndest to depress new car sales I'd say.
    I think there one or two aspects to this. One is the full on attack on diesels and, in my opinion, the other is the record sales over the last few years possibly as a result of the billions of PPI payments.

• Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited March 2018

I make it:

Association with IRA
    Association with Hamas
    Not wearing a tie
    Bonking Abbott

Ignoring the idiocies in your list, you seem to be making the point that it is to Labour's benefit that there are several very serious reasons why Corbyn should never get anywhere near No 10, rather than just one.

It's a view.
    I think he/she’s making the point that these criticisms of Corbyn have not really been that effective in really damaging him in the past, no matter how valid they are. I still maintain that to beat Corbyn, his opponents will need to articulate a positive vision as to why people should vote for them. ‘Corbyn is bad’ won’t do it, because voters have a number of grievances, and ‘Corbyn is bad’ does not address those grievances in anyway.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Wasn't it some absurdly small amount of money spent on ads?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

I make it:

Association with IRA
    Association with Hamas
    Not wearing a tie
    Bonking Abbott

It's not tories Jezza has on his ass, it's the Board of Deputies of British Jews and a fair wodge of the PLP. PB tories are mere onlookers, like the picnicking spectators at the battle of Bull Run (which didn't end well, of course).
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Clearly "antisemitism" has a different meaning for Corbynistas
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Elliot said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

the two.
    Corbyn comes across to me as a passive antisemite. Someone who would never, ever think of himself as one, and is genuinely horrified that he's called one, yet his actions and words give succour to antisemites.

That is quite possible. Even this so-called artwork at first glance seems more about masons than Jews, especially if the viewer is not attuned to anti-semitic tropes

Cry me a river.
    You don't know me, and I have no desire to know you, so I'd be grateful if you'd stop speculating about my motivations.
    Leave advocates will struggle to climb on their high horses after they've been rolling around in the gutter.
    There were no ugly racial stereotypes in VoteLeave's materials. You can find individual supporters of the campaign that were engaged in ugliness, but the same is true of those on the Remain side arguing white Europeans were a "better fit" for integration than us brown people. I don't recall Sean ever making bigoted remarks. Not that that matters to your derangement on this issue.
    Both Leave campaigns were centred on xenophobic lies. Leave advocates can't complain about the ugliness of others when they fell in behind those so happily.
  • Options

I make it:

Association with IRA
    Association with Hamas
    Not wearing a tie
    Bonking Abbott

I will cast no first stones when it comes to unwise hi jinks from the past. Besides Diane (like most of us) looked quite bonny in her youth.
    after a dram or two presumably
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,918
    Elliot said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

the two.

Cry me a river.
    This Leave/Remainer division is going to run and run. How long did it take for the Cavalier/Roundhead division in England to really be put to bed? Even allowing for the comprehensive Cavalier victory in 1660.
  • Options

I make it:

Association with IRA
    Association with Hamas
    Not wearing a tie
    Bonking Abbott

It's a view.
    I think he/she’s making the point that these criticisms of Corbyn have not really been that effective in the past, no matter how valid they are. I still maintain that to beat Corbyn, his opponents will need to articulate a positive vision as to why people should vote for them. ‘Corbyn is bad’ won’t do it, because voters have a number of grievances, and ‘Corbyn is bad’ does not address those grievances in anyway.
    Both are required. All elections are choices, and Labour being run by a group who by any standard (including most notably the standards of mainstream Labour politicians and voters) hold extreme and repugnant views, or at best are extremely naive, will help tilt the choice voters make. You are right that at the same time, his opponents need to offer an attractive, coherent and morally sound alternative.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Scott_P said:

Danielle Blake - @abradacabla: This is a staffer for @LauraPidcockMP, attacking a Jewish editor of a Jewish paper for correctly pointing out Corbyn is the problem and obstacle to getting anything done regarding anti-Semitism in Labour.

Ouch

It was an offensive tweet in the first place - but knowing more about the tweeter makes it worse
  • Options

I make it:

Association with IRA
    Association with Hamas
    Not wearing a tie
    Bonking Abbott

This time it will be different!

God knows why but apparently if you just hope for something enough it might happen...
  • Options

I make it:

Association with IRA
    Association with Hamas
    Not wearing a tie
    Bonking Abbott

It's a view.
    I think he/she’s making the point that these criticisms of Corbyn have not really been that effective in really damaging him in the past, no matter how valid they are. I still maintain that to beat Corbyn, his opponents will need to articulate a positive vision as to why people should vote for them. ‘Corbyn is bad’ won’t do it, because voters have a number of grievances, and ‘Corbyn is bad’ does not address those grievances in anyway.
    There's bad and then there's bad. This seems badder than bad (electorially)
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

I make it:

Association with IRA
    Association with Hamas
    Not wearing a tie
    Bonking Abbott

It's not tories Jezza has on his ass, it's the Board of Deputies of British Jews and a fair wodge of the PLP. PB tories are mere onlookers, like the picnicking spectators at the battle of Bull Run (which didn't end well, of course).
    Most battles tend to end better for one side than the other
  • Options

Elliot said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

the two.

Cry me a river.
    Both Leave campaigns were centred on xenophobic lies. Leave advocates can't complain about the ugliness of others when they fell in behind those so happily.
    you have to be a bigot to write that, don't you?
  • Options
    Emily Ashton - @elashton: On whether Boris Johnson was speaking for gov when he said allegations were "ludicrous", PM spox says: "He was responding as somebody who played a role in the Vote Leave campaign."
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Ouch

It was an offensive tweet in the first place - but knowing more about the tweeter makes it worse
    You sound surprised. Should you be?
  • Options
    Tom Newton Dunn - @tnewtondunn: No10: PM has expressed her full confidence in Stephen Parkinson. So she’s standing by him.
  • Options

I make it:

Association with IRA
    Association with Hamas
    Not wearing a tie
    Bonking Abbott

God knows why but apparently if you just hope for something enough it might happen...
    Doesn't that just apply to corbynomics?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Ouch

There is not much about Pidcock that surprises me. She really appears to be one of the most unpleasant new MPs. So it should come as no shock that she employs a deeply nasty person.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

I make it:

Association with IRA
    Association with Hamas
    Not wearing a tie
    Bonking Abbott

Didn't end well for the picnicking side.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Ouch

There is not much about Pidcock that surprises me. She really appears to be one of the most unpleasant new MPs. So it should come as no shock that she employs a deeply nasty person.
    Part of the job spec probably
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

I make it:

Association with IRA
    Association with Hamas
    Not wearing a tie
    Bonking Abbott

Didn't end well for the picnicking side.
    Were they in the "away" end?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited March 2018
    Elliot said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

the two.

Cry me a river.
    Even the Washington post noticed....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/06/25/the-uncomfortable-question-was-the-brexit-vote-based-on-racism/?utm_term=.d983459227ad
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Tha's pretty fair. I agree he's largely against the policies of both the United States and Israel (he's nothing against individuals who happen to come from there), on which I think he's largely right, and that's over the years led him to give airtime to

It is just as wrong to assume that if one's Jewish (or even merely not anti-semitic) one "must" like Israel and its policies, as the reverse, to think that if one's sympathetic to the horrible situation of many Palestinians one should start worrying about Jewish conspiracies. Both some passionate Zionists and some passionate pro-Palestinians fall into the trap of conflating the two.

Cry me a river.
    In my view, it’s entirely pointless engaging with him on this subject. I no longer do so.
  • Options

I make it:

Association with IRA
    Association with Hamas
    Not wearing a tie
    Bonking Abbott

Good point. There are helpful analogies in Everest, or the South Pole: expedition after expedition has set out hoping to succeed where others have failed, but we are still as far from ever from reaching either goal.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Am loving Valerie Vaz not understanding what anti-Semitism is on Westminster Hour last night.

https://order-order.com/2018/03/26/shadow-cabinet-minister-corbyn-steeped-anti-semitism-anti-semitic-party/

There is mis-speaking and there is complete car crash. I think she will need more than the AA and RAC combined after this one.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Elliot said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Cry me a river.
    There's no point engaging with certain posters on certain subjects.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Sorry to spoil the spin here but this is what he said.

We have to be honest & say that anti-semitism does exist in our party. At whatever level, it must be overcome to build trust again. But we’d be fools not to recognise that @stephenpollard is reckless & problematic: standing in the way of discussion & healing for political ends.

I'd say far worse about Stephen Pollard to be honest whilst saying plenty of good things about another Jewish journalist.

But yes clearly not marching to the beat of one of the most idiotic anti Corbyn journalists out there makes you a raging anti-semite, logic who needs logic we are trying to smear people here inform people here.

;)
  • Options

Am loving Valerie Vaz not understanding what anti-Semitism is on Westminster Hour last night.

https://order-order.com/2018/03/26/shadow-cabinet-minister-corbyn-steeped-anti-semitism-anti-semitic-party/

There is mis-speaking and there is complete car crash. I think she will need more than the AA and RAC combined after this one.

Too many -isms make a schism.
  • Options
    BaskervilleBaskerville Posts: 391
    Jeremy Corbyn, Mark Zuckerberg and Steve Smith... wriggling to avoid blame. Bet their sorry now.
    http://www.lifestuff.xyz/blog/non-apology-apologies
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,153
    I wrote the following on this site in 2015.

“I'm probably wasting time here but let me try anyway.

Not all criticism of Israel is anti-Semitic and it is wrong to claim that it is or to claim that one must not criticise Israel in general or particular Israeli governments in particular because to do so would be anti-Semitic. That is an attempt to shut down debate. Just because Jews have been the victims of the worst case of genocide we have known and repeated attacks over centuries does not mean that they are immune from bad behaviour themselves. Being a victim does not imbue one with some sort of automatic moral superiority.

Equally, it is also the case that there are people who are anti-Semitic and who mask this by claiming to be anti-Zionist and use the anti-Zionist label in order to make anti-Semitic attacks on Israel and on Jews. The Zionist label has been a gift to such people. And it is one reason why people are sensitive to the use of such a term.

There is also something quite troubling and disturbing about the viciousness with which Jews ae attacked for somehow betraying the moral superiority they are meant to have as a result of being victims, almost as if they are being attacked for being victims.

There are others who, while being hyper-sensitive to the perception which some minority groups have to statements made about them which may be seen to be stereotypical or too broad brush or offensive or just plain insensitive, seem surprisingly insensitive to the perception which Jews have of how they are described even though they are good historical reasons why Jews would be sensitive to the portrayal of them in the media and by politicians.

And now I await the bucketloads of abuse which will surely be the fate of anyone treading on such delicate ground.“

The fact that even now - after Corbyn has issued some sort of apology - people are claiming that allegations of anti-semitism are not real but an attempt to deflect legitimate criticisms of Zionism and/or Israel shows that nothing has been learnt.

I fear that it will take some sort of atrocity before people realise that anti-semitism / hatred of the scapegoat du jour and turning a blind eye can have murderous and tragic consequences. That we should need to learn this lesson - again - despite the experiences of our parents and grandparents is profoundly depressing.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

Oh dear, another example of a politician not understanding anything
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Scott_P said:

We have to be honest & say that anti-semitism does exist in our party. At whatever level, it must be overcome to build trust again. But we’d be fools not to recognise that @stephenpollard is reckless & problematic: standing in the way of discussion & healing for political ends.

I'd say far worse about Stephen Pollard to be honest whilst saying plenty of good things about another Jewish journalist.

But yes clearly not marching to the beat of one of the most idiotic anti Corbyn journalists out there makes you a raging anti-semite, logic who needs logic we are trying to smear people here inform people here.

;)
    Yes. Jonathan Friedland was well worth listening to this morning. Stephen Pollard's prejudices eclipse anything Corbyn could come up with.
  • Options
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Nothing seems to damage Corbyn fatally and I suspect neither will this. A lot of his support base thinks Jews and the actions of Israel and Zionism are the same, so they are just tolerant of comments or actions or they just look the other way.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    I wonder who will contradict Theresa May and say cheating DOES have an important place in sport.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    It does seem odd that she should feel she has to make a statement about it. And I love the "or indeed in any sport," just for those of us who thought it was OK in water polo, or Eton fives.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,159
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,940
    Pretty similar to what Australian PM Malcolm Turnbull has said

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/43532750
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Mr. Z, perhaps she was asked. She is on record as a cricket fan, after all.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Ishmael_Z said:

It does seem odd that she should feel she has to make a statement about it. And I love the "or indeed in any sport," just for those of us who thought it was OK in water polo, or Eton fives.
    It's not that odd as May is something of a cricket fan, so she might be expected to have an opinion on the matter.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    HYUFD said:

Yes but he's the Australian PM commenting on the Australian team. Coming from the British PM it's not very tactful to say the least. Almost smacks of Schadenfreude.
  • Options

Ah ok I didn't know that.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

It is not an either/or choice, especially while the DUP remains the largest party in NI
    Funny how you think being the (marginally) largest party is so vital in certain circumstances.
    A majority of voters in NI did not vote for nationalist parties either, much like Scotland really!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,243
    Roger said:

Scott_P said:

;)
    Yes. Jonathan Friedland was well worth listening to this morning. Stephen Pollard's prejudices eclipse anything Corbyn could come up with.
    Is Stephen Pollard a journalist who doesn't like Jeremy Corbyn's perceived anti-semitism or is he a Jewish journalist who doesn't like Jeremy Corbyn?
  • Options

Elliot said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

the two.

anyway.

Cry me a river.
    er.
    Meeks has no right to accuse others of bigotry when he is so often bigoted himself.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Isn’t OK in the Wall Game? I’d assumed it was.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

It is not an either/or choice, especially while the DUP remains the largest party in NI
    Funny how you think being the (marginally) largest party is so vital in certain circumstances.
    @HYUFD is incorrect..

Being largest party in NI is not relevant to the DUP's current power - It's more that they form a crucial part of the government. They'd have the same de facto power with 8 seats even if Sinn Fein had 10.
    It is relevant that the main Unionist Party has more seats than the main Nationalist Party for preserving the Union and avoiding any referendum on unification with the Republic
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    FF43 said:

I wonder who will contradict Theresa May and say cheating DOES have an important place in sport.
    Putin?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

See I’m not in a minority, time to shaft the DUP and Norn Iron. Cheerio Norn Iron, you’re getting reunited with the 26 counties.

LBC can reveal that more Brits would prioritise leaving the European Union than maintaining the United Kingdom in its current form.

Our poll with YouGov shows that 36% of people think leaving the EU is more of a priority than keeping Northern Ireland in the United Kingdom (29%).

And 71% of people that chose the EU over Northern Ireland voted Brexit.

http://www.lbc.co.uk/hot-topics/eu-referendum/brits-would-rather-leave-eu-than-keep-n-ireland/

No. First most will want to keep NI in the UK and have Brexit and secondly while the DUP remains the largest party in Northern Ireland it is an irrelevant discussion anyway however much a liberal non Unionist like you may wish to break up the Union we Conservative and Unionists will ensure that is not the case
    Meanwhile, an overwhelming majority of Tory voters said they would prioritise leaving the EU over maintaining a United Kingdom - which very much goes against the party's full name - the Conservative and Unionist party.
    Most Tory voters want to preserve the Union and have Brexit, hence the 90% of Scottish Tories who voted No in Scotland in 2014 and the 60% of UK Tories who voted Leave in 2016
    This poll says otherwise.
    The poll forced them to chose one or the other, HYFUD is arguing that they would have both - no doubt Tories are overwhelmingly in favour of keeping NI in the UK
    True Unionists would give up Brexit to preserve the Union in a forced choice question.
    As I said at the time, had I thought saying no to Brexit could guarantee the UK union, I woukd have voted no. But that is far from certain in any case
    Plus the SNP lost almost half their MPs post Brexit and the DUP won most seats at the NI Assembly elections and a majority of NI MPs post Brexit too
    The SNP lost 37.5% of their MPs, which is as close to 25% as it is 50%.

But if we’re talking about most MPs/MSPs which party won the most seats in Scotland at GE2017 and in Holyrood 2016?
    63% of Scots did not vote for the SNP at GE2017 and the SNP lost their majority at Holyrood 2016
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    @OldKingCole

Well there was another go at at resolving it in 1689, where we agreed to look like a monarchy but under the bonnet became a republic. It's held since.

(Incidentally we're good at that sort of thing. The century before, the Cof E had bishops and a lot of Catholic looking hierarchy whilst being Protestant. Or nearer our own time, the Irish Free State was let go, but still part of the "Dominions of the Crown" for show, even though they had gained the right to go the whole hog - which they of course did starting notably by being neutral in 1939).
  • Options

Apparently she recently applied to be a member of the MCC - proposed by Sir J Major and seconded by Mr D. Cameron.
  • Options

This sums the situation up nicely:

The whole hashtag sums up the situation quite nicely, two echo chambers completely ignoring each other and using the tag for different things.

Not going to lie I have been really enjoying the #PredictTheNextCorbynSmear if there is one thing press campaigns against Corbyn do it is motivate the supporters and humour seems to be one of their most potent counter weapons. The press have completely failed to remove Corbyn from the leadership position and their continued attempts will only strengthen him and the left within the Labour party.

• Options
    Sandpit said:

Apparently she recently applied to be a member of the MCC - proposed by Sir J Major and seconded by Mr D. Cameron.
    Are they going to let her in?
  • Options
    edited March 2018

HYUFD said:

Yes but he's the Australian PM commenting on the Australian team. Coming from the British PM it's not very tactful to say the least. Almost smacks of Schadenfreude.
    I don't think too many voters in the UK will be concerned at May rubbing the noses of the Australian cricket team in it, they are not exactly modest and humble when it comes to beating England as they did in the series where similar incidents could have taken place
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

I don't think that has any rules, which makes cheating conceptually difficult.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135
    Sandpit said:

I like the fact that Cameron is plain Mr.
    Class.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I don't think too many voters in the UK will be concerned at May rubbing the noses of the Australian cricket team in it, they are not exactly modest and humble when it comes to beating England as they did in the series where these incidents took place
    Voters in the UK won't give a toss but it won't pay to piss off people we might want to be doing trade deals with in the near future.

Not that I expect it to make that much difference but why risk it in the first place?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Depends how she spins her application.
  • Options

I believe Gordon Brown was on record as being a fan of popular beat combo The Arctic Monkeys.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

@OldKingCole

Well there was another go at at resolving it in 1689, where we agreed to look like a monarchy but under the bonnet became a republic. It's held since.

(Incidentally we're good at that sort of thing. The century before, the Cof E had bishops and a lot of Catholic looking hierarchy whilst being Protestant. Or nearer our own time, the Irish Free State was let go, but still part of the "Dominions of the Crown" for show, even though they had gained the right to go the whole hog - which they of course did starting notably by being neutral in 1939).

Like the analogy, but not sure it worked further down the scale. I’m told, for example, that my grandfather, who, although a CofE churchwarden came from a long line of non-conformists, objected to the (new) vicar putting candlesticks on the altar. That was about 1930.
    And in 1964 my (originally Welsh Baptist) father objected strongly to incense being used at the CoE baptism service for my infant daughter.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I don't think too many voters in the UK will be concerned at May rubbing the noses of the Australian cricket team in it, they are not exactly modest and humble when it comes to beating England as they did in the series where these incidents took place
    Voters in the UK won't give a toss but it won't pay to piss off people we might want to be doing trade deals with in the near future.

Not that I expect it to make that much difference but why risk it in the first place?
    Given Turnbull has made basically exactly the same statement anyway before May did I don't quite see your logic? It is him May will be negotiating with not the Australian cricket captain.

May is basically reiterating the Australian PM's position (plus of course while a FTA with Australia would be nice it comes well below getting one with the EU, the USA, China, Saudi Arabia, Japan etc)
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

I don't think that has any rules, which makes cheating conceptually difficult.
    If that is the case, it explains a great deal of recent history.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Who proposed Cameron? He's never been a cricket fan, has he?
  • Options
    welshowl said:

@OldKingCole

It was 1715 where that truly happened. William of Orange was a fairly hands on King.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Dave’s a huge fan of cricket.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-14595848
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    jonny83 said:

Nothing seems to damage Corbyn fatally and I suspect neither will this. A lot of his support base thinks Jews and the actions of Israel and Zionism are the same, so they are just tolerant of comments or actions or they just look the other way.

This sort of thing salami slices away at support - you don't see it until one day there isn't much salami left.

Ask Gordon Brown...
  • Options

I believe Gordon Brown was on record as being a fan of popular beat combo The Arctic Monkeys.
    That was one of the classic misheard, or possibly misinterpreted, comments, IIRC. Brown was asked about the group, who were popular at the time and said that it would wake one up. That was interpreted for some reason as that he had one of their pieces on his radio alarm.
  • Options

But who could forget his favourite football goal.
  • Options
    When Theresa May was on TMS she spoke like a true cricket fan.

She knew about Boycs running out Derek Randall.

Made me warm to her.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Sandpit said:

I'm going to take a wild guess that her application won't end up on the usual 30 year waiting list.

A good friend of mine joined the MCCC aged 21, and 20 years later is still waiting for the egg and bacon tie.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Given Turnbull has made basically exactly the same statement anyway before May did I don't quite see your logic? It is him May will be negotiating with not the Australian cricket captain.

May is basically reiterating the Australian PM's position (plus of course while a FTA with Australia would be nice it comes well below getting one with the EU, the USA, China, Saudi Arabia, Japan etc)
    The logic is only that of the parent who calls his own child a monster but doesn't like it if someone else does.

I'm not making a big deal of this. I just think it's silly for politicians or their spokespeople to risk causing offence over matters that don't concern them.
  • Options
    BaskervilleBaskerville Posts: 391

Sandpit said:

"You get exhausted, you get completely fried, you make terrible decisions, so I hope no one begrudges me a few hours at the cricket."
    Maybe DC should have spent more time at the cricket.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267
    In other news, it looks like continental expulsions are imminent:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43541256

I note, with concern, that Austria is not on that list. I presume it’s because the Freedom Party, which is in Government, has links with United Russia.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The logic is only that of the parent who calls his own child a monster but doesn't like it if someone else does.

I'm not making a big deal of this. I just think it's silly for politicians or their spokespeople to risk causing offence over matters that don't concern them.
    Given the England cricket team may have lost the Ashes if the Australians cheated in the last series it does concern us actually
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,367

Sandpit said:

"You get exhausted, you get completely fried, you make terrible decisions...."
    And that’s just the England team ...
  • Options

welshowl said:

@OldKingCole

Like the analogy, but not sure it worked further down the scale. I’m told, for example, that my grandfather, who, although a CofE churchwarden came from a long line of non-conformists, objected to the (new) vicar putting candlesticks on the altar. That was about 1930.
    And in 1964 my (originally Welsh Baptist) father objected strongly to incense being used at the CoE baptism service for my infant daughter.
    Indeed. Funny how these things lingered for ages and ages, and for all I know still do.

The key to a long lasting settlement seems to be to keep much of the "visuality" of the old whilst actually doing something different. Both sides have a bit of a buy in then?

To use the Crown v Parliament; I guess the actual shift was decided at Naseby in 1645. There was no way back, in retrospect, for the return of an all powerful Crown after that., 1660 notwithstanding. Essentially the settlement was to give the Cavaliers their theatre whilst actually, in the ultimate analysis, giving power to Parliament. The Hanovarians were useful at least in that they reinforced that, because they were only Monarchs because Parliament said they were, because they had the "right" religion. They had to toe the line because that was their source of legitimacy.

Quite how we pull off a similar trick with Europe is another matter but something from our historical precedent would be useful I think.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Given the England cricket team may have lost the Ashes if the Australians cheated in the last series it does concern us actually
    I doubt they feel the need to cheat against England!
This discussion has been closed.