Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New Ipsos-MORI polling finds voters have become more positive

Comments

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,518
    Anorak said:

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Blue_rog said:

Ishmael_Z said:

And if you on an overcrowded bus you would prefer that no one else got on, and this is not because of an irrational dislike of the sort of people who are not currently on the bus. It is mystifying how hard this point is for otherwise apparently intelligent people to grasp.

That's not a very useful analogy. If the bus journey is a nation then it's a nation with only one permanent resident where the number of immigrants and emigrants are precisely equal.

Also, the number of seats on the bus are not fixed. Britain had a population of maybe 6000 in 5000BC and 3 million in Roman times, 10.5 million in 1801, 38 million in 1901 and is currently estimated at 65 million. There is no particular reason to assume that it has suddenly become full or overcrowded.
    But as we are all getting bigger - witness your bum for evidence of that - we are at least moving to a point where full or overcrowded are closer than at any point in history....
    There are three dimensions, one of

That's right. Because everyone loves living in tower blocks.

In central London you can find enough luxury blocks of flats. But you don't need to go beyond 5 or 6 storey mansion blocks. Kensington & Chelsea is one of the most densely populated boroughs in the country. It is also the most expensive for property.

150 years ago everyone dreamed of 3 acres and a cow. Tastes change with time and education.
    I still dream of 3 acres and a cow :)
    Three acres is not enough for a cow unless you are buying in a lot of feed.
    Hmm I think its enough. THe rule for horses is two acres for the first, then an acre per horse thereafter.
    40 Acres and a mule was the pledge for freed slaves after the US Civil War.

On the subject of population growth, I never tire of posting these ONS population stats, The extra home that we need are the old folks homes. One advantage of stopping migration, is that it would free up a lot of closed schools and workplaces for these. Who would staff them might be an issue:

https://twitter.com/foxinsoxuk/status/978302412363624448?s=19
    Logan's Run. Problem sorted.
    Perhaps up the age of Lastday from 30 though, for all our sakes...
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2018
    Apparently this is an extraordinary and vindictive personal attack, according to 16 Labour MPs:

I was not introduced to Shahmir Sanni or Darren Grimes by Chris Wylie as he is claiming, but by a mutual friend from university. Shahmir became an occasional volunteer for Vote Leave and other leave campaigns, and we began a personal relationship. We subsequently dated for 18 months, splitting up – I thought amicably – in September 2017. That is the capacity in which I gave Shahmir advice and encouragement, and I can understand if the lines became blurred for him, but I am clear that I did not direct the activities of any separate campaign groups. I had no responsibility for digital campaigning or donations during the referendum, and am confident that Vote Leave acted entirely within the law and strict spending rules at all times

No, me neither. Apparently Mr Sanni thinks it's OK to accuse his ex-boyfriend in public of a criminal act, but not OK for his ex-boyfriend to respond with an explanation of the context.

https://twitter.com/BenPBradshaw/status/978304253797261312/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    May: "We will be looking within the EU to enhance our capability to respond to CBRN incidents."

No sign of leaving there.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

This rival demo thing makes me think more than ever that Corbyn’s position within Labour is strong. The fact they are that determined to defend Corbyn even on this says a lot. I think it’s a similar effect to Trump: the press attacks only make the base determined to support him even more.

Good news for those opposed to a Labour government.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    @rottenborough There is definitely a cult like element to Corbyn’s core support, although obviously not all Labour voters are like that.
    Foxy said:

This rival demo thing makes me think more than ever that Corbyn’s position within Labour is strong. The fact they are that determined to defend Corbyn even on this says a lot. I think it’s a similar effect to Trump: the press attacks only make the base determined to support him even more.

I think also that all the demonisation can be counter productive. This was overdone last year, so when Jezza did appear on TV during the campaign without horns, tail and trident, and indeed seemed calm and reasonable, it discredited the attackers, not Corbyn.

Corbyn does not do personal attacks, he sticks to policy, and that comes over well.
    The Paxman interview was a prime example of what you say. This is why Corbyn’s opponents, as well as offering a compelling alternative should focus their attacks on policy.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920

an increase in population has meant that formerly open land has been built on.

Isn't that true from person one, fifty thousand years ago, to person 65 million, last year?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,125

Apparently this is an extraordinary and vindictive personal attack, according to 16 Labour MPs:

I was not introduced to Shahmir Sanni or Darren Grimes by Chris Wylie as he is claiming, but by a mutual friend from university. Shahmir became an occasional volunteer for Vote Leave and other leave campaigns, and we began a personal relationship. We subsequently dated for 18 months, splitting up – I thought amicably – in September 2017. That is the capacity in which I gave Shahmir advice and encouragement, and I can understand if the lines became blurred for him, but I am clear that I did not direct the activities of any separate campaign groups. I had no responsibility for digital campaigning or donations during the referendum, and am confident that Vote Leave acted entirely within the law and strict spending rules at all times

No, me neither. Apparently Mr Sanni thinks it's OK to accuse his ex-boyfriend in public of a criminal act, but not OK for his ex-boyfriend to respond with an explanation of the context.

https://twitter.com/BenPBradshaw/status/978304253797261312/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

If only they had painted this offended bus red they might have got somewhere. People like red buses.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Ms. Apocalypse, aye. Corbyn seems like a nice man. But his friends aren't, and his policies are nuts.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    Yes, 50 sq metres for the cat and 8 for the man.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387

Did Parkinson realise he was outing Shahmir? If not should he have done?
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/978310693677162496
    Corbyn has a chance to re-iterate his line on Russia.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:
    Yes, 50 sq metres for the cat and 8 for the man.
    58 sq.m. is very generous for a one bed flat?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,940
    Anorak said:

HYUFD said:

Anorak said:

HYUFD said:

EU expansion was May 2004. The fastest growth in house prices was before then.

So house prices still rose every year from 2004 to a 2007 peak of £180 000 yes and in all those years there was free movement from Eastern European nations
    So the 2004 --> 2007 rise is all down to furreners, whereas the previous decade of growth, er, wasn't.

It looks very much like you are applying your personal prejudices to explain a short period without considering the rest of the data.
    No as also pointed out earlier Blair had opened the floodgates to non EU immigration even before the Eastern European nations joined the EU and he let them in without transition controls and the biggest growth in house prices came in his premiership
    Those goalposts look heavy.
    I would have thought the Brexit vote would have taught the liberal left that uncontrolled immigration has gone too far for most voters but clearly not in your case
  • Options

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/978310693677162496
    Corbyn has a chance to re-iterate his line on Russia.

That implies the Skripals might make some sort of recovery, which actually sounds like good news.
  • Options
    He just stands with the billionaire Russian President instead
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Foxy said:

Anorak said:

Foxy said:

40 Acres and a mule was the pledge for freed slaves after the US Civil War.

On the subject of population growth, I never tire of posting these ONS population stats, The extra home that we need are the old folks homes. One advantage of stopping migration, is that it would free up a lot of closed schools and workplaces for these. Who would staff them might be an issue:

https://twitter.com/foxinsoxuk/status/978302412363624448?s=19

Logan's Run. Problem sorted.
    Perhaps up the age of Lastday from 30 though, for all our sakes...
    It should begin at my-age-plus-one, and then rise every year. It's the only method that makes sense.

• Options

Ms. Apocalypse, aye. Corbyn seems like a nice man. But his friends aren't, and his policies are nuts.

Corbyn’s big asset is that he has often come across as personable. I actually don’t have many issues with Labour’s manifesto. I think the most pressing concern in regard to Corbyn is who he associates with, and aspects of his foreign policy view. I tend to come down more on the side of sympathising with the Palestinians and I’m no fan of Netanyahu. But some of the individuals/groups Corbyn has associated with in the name of being pro Palestine....yeah they aren’t very pleasant.
  • Options

I've no idea, but if Shahmir Sanni didn't want publicity, perhaps he shouldn't have plastered himself all over the Observer with a story in which his ex-relationship is a key part of the context.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    HYUFD said:

Anorak said:

HYUFD said:

No as also pointed out earlier Blair had opened the floodgates to non EU immigration even before the Eastern European nations joined the EU and he let them in without transition controls and the biggest growth in house prices came in his premiership

I would have thought the Brexit vote would have taught the liberal left that uncontrolled immigration has gone too far for most voters but clearly not in your case
    It taught people that the perception of uncontrolled immigration could be manipulated to appeal to the worst instincts of many.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited March 2018
    Foxy said:

I think also that all the demonisation can be counter productive. This was overdone last year, so when Jezza did appear on TV during the campaign without horns, tail and trident, and indeed seemed calm and reasonable, it discredited the attackers, not Corbyn.

Corbyn does not do personal attacks, he sticks to policy, and that comes over well.
    I think there many problems with these attacks on Corbyn

1. Most people don't see Jews as victims.

2. Trying to paint Corbyn as a racist doesn't fly.

3. The rise of the Settler Movement Israel has been seen as the darling of the right-wing particularly in the US and the UK. The enemies of Corbyn and unpopular with most Western democracies

4. The Palestinian movement has strong sympathy among sections of British Jewry

5. The Board of Deputies have very limited support and are best known for having Grenville Janner as their president
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Anorak said:

HYUFD said:

Anorak said:

HYUFD said:

It taught people that the perception of uncontrolled immigration could be manipulated to appeal to the worst instincts of many.
    Do you live in social housing?
  • Options

Nice to see dear old Argclu out and about. I was wondering what had happened to her.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Anorak said:

HYUFD said:

Anorak said:

HYUFD said:

I have done. Why?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Foxy said:

3. The rise of the Settler Movement Israel has been seen as the darling of the right-wing particularly in the US and the UK. The enemies of Corbyn and unpopular with most Western democracies

5. The Board of Deputies have very limited support and are best known for having Grenville Janner as their president
    It's the way you tell 'em, Roger. I certainly can't think of any incidents in modern history in which any Jews could be perceived as victims. Not one.
  • Options
    A fine sentiment and one most people would agree with
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Anorak said:

HYUFD said:

Anorak said:

HYUFD said:

I have done. Why?
    Because if you don't (and if you aren't also dependent on state education and the NHS) you aren't in a position to be giving it large about the effects of uncontrolled immigration on those who are.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Anorak said:

HYUFD said:

Anorak said:

HYUFD said:

No it taught them the liberal left elite could not care less about the decline in their wages and the pressure on services and housing and the reduction in community cohesion they faced by uncontrolled immigration as long as they increased 'diversity' and their client vote
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Ishmael_Z said:

Anorak said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Anorak said:

HYUFD said:

Anorak said:

HYUFD said:

I have done. Why?
    Because if you don't (and if you aren't also dependent on state education and the NHS) you aren't in a position to be giving it large about the effects of uncontrolled immigration on those who are.
    This being the internet I can hold forth on whatever the fuck I like, and I don't have to justify "being in a position to do so" to anyone.

There also seem to be very few topics which you don't have a strong opinion on. Your qualifications for having them must be quite magnificent.
  • Options
    Roger said:

"Shylocks" instead of "moguls" would have got the message across even more clearly.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Corbyn’s big asset is that he has often come across as personable. I actually don’t have many issues with Labour’s manifesto. I think the most pressing concern in regard to Corbyn is who he associates with, and aspects of his foreign policy view. I tend to come down more on the side of sympathising with the Palestinians and I’m no fan of Netanyahu. But some of the individuals/groups Corbyn has associated with in the name of being pro Palestine....yeah they aren’t very pleasant.
    That seems fair.Also I believe his opponents believed his personal stance on nuclear weapons would hurt him.However I believe that issue is not as potent as it once was.Many people from all sides now question their previously held opinions.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Anorak said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Anorak said:

HYUFD said:

Anorak said:

HYUFD said:

I have done. Why?
    This being the internet I can hold forth on whatever the fuck I like, and I don't have to justify "being in a position to do so" to anyone.

There also seem to be very few topics which you don't have a strong opinion on. Your qualifications for having them must be quite magnificent.
    Good points, well made.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

It’s remarkable how keen MPs, including Ben Bradshaw of all people, are anxious to defer to conservative Islamic views on homosexuality. The idea that family members (as opposed to gay people themselves) are somehow endangered by this is ridiculous.

The best way to tackle homophobia is to show that gay people are part of most families and are usually quite unremarkable, rather than dangerous foreign agents.

Shame on these MPs.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,217

When was the last time a foreign affairs issue or position had any salience in a General Election campaign? The Falklands in 1983, maybe, but even then only indirectly.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Bit grumpy here. Let's try and keep it civil, chaps.

Anyway, I must be off.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    I doubt that there's any political cost to Corbyn's antisemitism thing - it's pretty obvious at this point that racism, unless it's very overt, doesn't really move votes (as the Trump campaign manager said, "there's a difference between what offends you and what affects you").

However, morally, it's not good at all, and I won't lie it does make me feel a tad more uncomfortable about being a Labour member. Too many left-wingers just think that a group who are "white", and who are on average higher up the income scale, can't possibly be oppressed. Whilst I can believe Corbyn didn't study that mural properly before he made his comment, I'm pretty sure that, if the faces on it were brown, or if it was being promoted by people with a history of making (at best) questionable comments about Muslims, he would've studied it rather more closely before he weighed in to defend it.

I hope that he really reflects on himself and some of his instincts. In an ideal world, perhaps he'll reflect on how antisemitism still being so prevalent is a very good argument for why a Jewish state should exist, as a safe haven - but I won't hold my breath on that one.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Roger said:

"Shylocks" instead of "moguls" would have got the message across even more clearly.
    It would be inaccurate. I can't think of a Jewish media mogul if that was what your insidious message was suggesting
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    IanB2 said:

When was the last time a foreign affairs issue or position had any salience in a General Election campaign? The Falklands in 1983, maybe, but even then only indirectly.
    Iraq, surely?
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    edited March 2018
    IanB2 said:

2005 and, arguably, 1997? Along with 2017, of course.

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    IanB2 said:

Iraq war and the 2005 general election.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Elliot said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Elliot said:

I have long believed people would become more positive and comfortable with immigration when the numbers are brought down and it's limited to the high skilled. I often wonder whether the way to drop the net immigration target is to break immigration numbers into high vs low skilled, with separate targets.

And then use some kind of system to denote those immigrants who are low skilled, a badge or something.
    I'm getting worried for you Topping,leave the EU seems to be sending you off the scale.
    People apparently like high skilled immigrants and don't like low skilled immigrants. How are the poor people of the UK to know whether, given a random immigrant, they should like or dislike them?
    You are again falling into the trap of equating the overall scale of something with dislike of the individuals involved. Just because I think we need to stop recruiting middle managers at my workplace does not mean I dislike the individuals doing the job.
    Agreed. Though as it happens I don't like them as individuals.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Elliot said:

What about the population to housing stock ratio? Short term effects will always have a stronger correlation in the data, but it does not mean they are the most important long term drivers.

I'll email you the dataset when I'm done. But in summary, there is a surprisingly weak correlation between population growth and household growth. Growth in number of households tracks ok. Population growth does poorly.

I don't have a housing stock dataset to use. Do you have one?

(Also, housing is not fungible.)
    There are some powerful trends driving rising household size. The rising ethnic population (only marginally due to immigration) is one factor, with larger families (more children and greater tendency to cohabit with elderly family members). The greater tendency for students to return to the family home after university is another. In some parts of the country, these trends have enabled significant population growth despite only modest increases in the number of households (as for example in East London). Contrarywise divorces amongst the middle aged and conversions to HMO (often for young visiting East Europeans) increases the number of households, in the first instance leaving population unchanged.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    That’s just because all the foreigners who live here are skewing the poll.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    JackW said:

IanB2 said:

Can we see your ARSE for that election without Iraq?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    Danny565 said:

I doubt that there's any political cost to Corbyn's antisemitism thing - it's pretty obvious at this point that racism, unless it's very overt, doesn't really move votes (as the Trump campaign manager said, "there's a difference between what offends you and what affects you").

However, morally, it's not good at all, and I won't lie it does make me feel a tad more uncomfortable about being a Labour member. Too many left-wingers just think that a group who are "white", and who are on average higher up the income scale, can't possibly be oppressed. Whilst I can believe Corbyn didn't study that mural properly before he made his comment, I'm pretty sure that, if the faces on it were brown, or if it was being promoted by people with a history of making (at best) questionable comments about Muslims, he would've studied it rather more closely before he weighed in to defend it.

I hope that he really reflects on himself and some of his instincts. In an ideal world, perhaps he'll reflect on how antisemitism still being so prevalent is a very good argument for why a Jewish state should exist, as a safe haven - but I won't hold my breath on that one.

I think it shifts small number of votes, but it is not decisive.
  • Options
    JackW said:

IanB2 said:

I must have missed the LibDems reaping the benefit of their unique wisdom and foresight?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

Can we see your ARSE for that election without Iraq?
    My ARSE was a weapon of mass destruction and as you know none was found in Iraq.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

I must have missed the LibDems reaping the benefit of their unique wisdom and foresight?
    Yes you must.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267

In my view, this row is very personal.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Roger said:

Foxy said:

I wasn't thinking of the current anti-semitism furore, so much as the generality. I think that Corbyn does have a certain sort of eccentric British charm, and good manners that go down well. Tony Benn was the same, only with stronger intellect and rhetoric. These are not attributes that would transfer well to the next in line.

Leaders are rarely replaced by an identikit successor, indeed people usually pick someone quite different. No recent party leader has been replaced with someone from the same background and wing of the party.
  • Options
    JackW said:

IanB2 said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

Yes you must.
    The 2005 election puzzled me. Charlie Kennedy launched his campaign at my Sixth Form College. You'd have thought after Iraq the focus would have been on removing Labour MPs. But no, he thought the place to start was Godalming.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Roger said:

It would be inaccurate. I can't think of a Jewish media mogul if that was what your insidious message was suggesting
    I am suggesting that a message cobbled today setting out Corbyn's opposition to the stateless rich is as deafening a dogwhistle as you will ever hear.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Roger said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Roger said:

I am suggesting that a message cobbled today setting out Corbyn's opposition to the stateless rich is as deafening a dogwhistle as you will ever hear.
    Do you think he means "Citizens of Nowhere"?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,961
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

Yes you must.
    The 2005 election puzzled me. Charlie Kennedy launched his campaign at my Sixth Form College. You'd have thought after Iraq the focus would have been on removing Labour MPs. But no, he thought the place to start was Godalming.
    On that subject, I think Kennedy was from the SDP, whose birthday is today:

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/978146820390993920?s=19

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    tlg86 said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

Yes you must.
    Surrey SW was one of the LD's top targets at the 2005 election having reduced the Tory majority to 861 in 2001.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Roger said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Roger said:

Do you think he means "Citizens of Nowhere"?
    Yes.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625
    edited March 2018
    First time in quite a while I've seen Corbyn look and sound pissed off. The last time I can remember is when he was whining about the press pack not asking his questions on what he wanted to be asked about, and that was some time ago.

He may have pretty remarkable patience given the attacks he gets (founded and otherwise), but everyone has limits I guess.

Or maybe he is finding mouthy backbenchers are less charming when you aren't one.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Ouch. Corbyn really doesn't like it up 'im! Very rattled, very rattled indeed.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Roger said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Roger said:

Well I bow to your greater sensitivity to dog whistles.

The only actual one I can think of is the long dead Robert Maxwell
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Roger said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Roger said:

Can you link that ?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    OT -- universities and antibiotics

Here is a report on a new antibiotic undergoing tests in Singapore (hat-tip Reddit).
    https://newatlas.com/new-novel-antibiotic-success-animal-testing/53943/

Note that the British lab that synthesised it is at the University of Lincoln. That's the point. High fees mean everywhere can afford world class facilities. The old view that only Oxbridge and Russell Group count is no longer valid.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    for those of you who actually care about antisemitism can I recommend this site

http://hurryupharry.org/

Left of center viewpoint too.

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,363
    AndyJS said:

tlg86 said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

Yes you must.
    Surrey SW was one of the LD's top targets at the 2005 election having reduced the Tory majority to 861 in 2001.
    Charles Kennedy's focus of attack was always the Tories. Even when they hadn't been in office for eight years, he'd spend what were nominally his questions to the Prime Minister sniping at the Tories.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Roger said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Roger said:

Can you link that ?
    link what? I am talking about the tweeted poster in this subthread.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

Yes you must.
    On that subject, I think Kennedy was from the SDP, whose birthday is today:

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/978146820390993920?s=19

Question Time from 26th March 1981:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWuPBst2zYg
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Roger said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Roger said:

Can you link that ?
    I think he's talking about the writing on the poster of Corbyn timed at 6.46 (or maybe 5.46 in the UK)
  • Options
    John Woodcock's scathing intervention was followed up afterwards by a very powerful contribution from Tom Tugendhat. I can see why he is seen by some as a future leader.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,357
    I'm pretty sure most Facebook users didn't think they'd signed up for this:
    https://slate.com/technology/2018/03/facebook-acknowledges-it-kept-records-of-calls-and-texts-from-android-users.html?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    Tony Blair is speaking in the Houses of Parliament.
    https://twitter.com/sam_lister_/status/978334510214406144
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Yorkcity said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Roger said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Roger said:

Can you link that ?
    link what? I am talking about the tweeted poster in this subthread.
    My apologies I have not read anywhere Corbyn saying that.
  • Options

Well, party policy is to exit, in fairness.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    They didn't read the small print.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    Ishmael_Z said:

Roger said:

Weren't Moguls Muslim Indian leaders?
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Ishmael_Z said:

Roger said:

Mughal.

Is there a connection with the word Mogul? Genuine question.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267
    AndyJS said:

Nigelb said:
    They didn't read the small print.
    Who does? Particularly American small print, which can run into dozens and dozens of pages and clauses.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    The Mossos - the Catalan police.

The violence will get worse IMO as the separatist alliance fragments.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

tlg86 said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

Yes you must.
    So I see, and it didn't do the LD's much good!
  • Options

Or maybe, on balance, they think that the whole point of a referendum is to ask the public what the politicians can't decide and then respect the outcome. And the one scenario that undeniably respects the outcome, given that was the only question on the ballot paper, is to Brexit.

• Options
    kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Roger said:

Mughal.

I have always assumed it was a variant spelling of the same word.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Roger said:

Mughal.

Mogul -
    1. countable noun
    A Mogul was a Muslim ruler in India in the sixteenth to eighteenth centuries.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/mogul
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

AndyJS said:

tlg86 said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

Yes you must.
    So I see, and it didn't do the LD's much good!
    The problem is that when selecting targets they didn't consider direction of travel. Conservatives recovering from historic lows, and Labour declining from historic highs.

• Options

Ishmael_Z said:

And if you on an overcrowded bus you would prefer that no one else got on, and this is not because of an irrational dislike of the sort of people who are not currently on the bus. It is mystifying how hard this point is for otherwise apparently intelligent people to grasp.

That's not a very useful analogy. If the bus journey is a nation then it's a nation with only one permanent resident where the number of immigrants and emigrants are precisely equal.

Also, the number of seats on the bus are not fixed. Britain had a population of maybe 6000 in 5000BC and 3 million in Roman times, 10.5 million in 1801, 38 million in 1901 and is currently estimated at 65 million. There is no particular reason to assume that it has suddenly become full or overcrowded.
    But as we are all getting bigger - witness your bum for evidence of that - we are at least moving to a point where full or overcrowded are closer than at any point in history....
    There are three dimensions, one of which is barely used in this country, and an awful lot of empty space left unfilled. The problems caused by immigration are not problems caused by overcrowding but of poor use of space and resources.

Neolithic MarqueeMark would no doubt have been growling about the Beaker People coming here and taking their women. The 21st century version is no more on the money than his ancestor.
    Strange - professionals in healthcare and schooling seem to have a different view about the pressures they are under.

I have seen firsthand how hard it is to secure a school place after a move.

Higher populations put pressure on other infrastructure too - plus of course the availability and cost of housing

Of course the influx will age in time and then what? we do it all again?

Is there a limit where you feel quality of life would be unduly compromised?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Roger said:

Mughal.

Mogul -
    1. countable noun

Interesting how certain terms come to take on new meanings so far divorced from their geographic origins. Though of course Tsar is another example.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

There is plenty of evidence, if you weren't so species-ist.

Look at the decline of any wildlife population -- mammals, birds, plants -- over the same epoch, and you will of course find that they have not (unlike the population of the most successful animal of all) increased 20 fold since Roman times.

Have you never heard of the phenomenon of habitat loss?

When the South East of England is entirely concreted over, are we all expected to go to Hungary?

You wouldn't like it there - far too xenophobic.

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,249
    edited March 2018

John Woodcock's scathing intervention was followed up afterwards by a very powerful contribution from Tom Tugendhat. I can see why he is seen by some as a future leader.

The noticeable feature of John Woodcock's brutal attack on Corbyn was the empty benches behind him and the small cluster of Corbyn's diehard supporters immediately behind him.

Tom Tugendhat's speech was so powerful my wife stopped what she was doing to listen.

Why on earth is he not defence secretary over the very immature Williamson
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

The noticeable feature of John Woodcock's brutal attack on Corbyn was the empty benches behind him and the small cluster of Corbyn's diehard supporters immediately behind him.

Tom Tugendhat's speech was so powerful my wife stopped what she was doing to listen.

All leaders try to make sure that they are surrounded during key speeches/questions - to look good for the cameras.

But the Woodcock intervention served to highlight that artificial staging and the fact that Corbyn is isolated from his backbenchers.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

All leaders try to make sure that they are surrounded during key speeches/questions - to look good for the cameras.

But the Woodcock intervention served to highlight that artificial staging and the fact that Corbyn is isolated from his backbenchers.
    Not exactly breaking news that, but I guess at least for the moment they are emphasising their unhappiness again.
  • Options
    I'm sorry - where is this problem of islamophobia in Labour?

I may have missed it I fear.
  • Options
    Floater said:

I'm sorry - where is this problem of islamophobia in Labour?

I may have missed it I fear.
    Phil Woolas.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,822
    alex. said:

The problem is that when selecting targets they didn't consider direction of travel. Conservatives recovering from historic lows, and Labour declining from historic highs.

Plenty of selective and faulty recollection on offer so a different perspective.

Despite the fact Labour had 418 MPs and the Conservatives 166, the main LD target seats were facing the Conservatives so naturally you need to get into those seats and challenge them.

The problem for the LDs was since the Conservatives knew they had no chance of breaking such a large Labour majority they could concentrate on a few targets and key defences.

If we're going to criticise the LDs for going after Conservative seats, why did the Conservatives put so much effort into LD seats such as Carshalton & Wallington ? After all, there were many more Labour seats to win.

Despite Iraq, Blair was still a formidable political operator and in fact his "losses" (especially given that the Scottish boundary changes "reduced" his majority by 10) in 2005 weren't too severe.

The election confirmed the Conservatives as the only credible alternative Government but the deficit in votes told a different story to the deficit in seats.

• Options
    kle4 said:

Not exactly breaking news that, but I guess at least for the moment they are emphasising their unhappiness again.
    It's important though because it suggests that they've remembered that their reasons for opposing Corbyn went far beyond his presumed unelectability, which was in many respects used as a cover to which was significantly undermined by the General Election outcome.

Clearly calls into question whether even an election winning Corbyn could command a majority in the House of commons.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Roger said:

Mughal.

Mogul -
    1. countable noun

Interesting how certain terms come to take on new meanings so far divorced from their geographic origins. Though of course Tsar is another example.
    India has been rather a rich source of 'new' english words. I think pyjamas and bungalow are two I remember as favourites
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,320
    AndyJS said:

tlg86 said:

This is now my patch - I work in Godalming and hope to stand for the council next year - was writing a newsletter testerday. It's, um, not an area where Labour expects to lose any seats... (current status: 0)
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,961

The Mossos - the Catalan police.

The violence will get worse IMO as the separatist alliance fragments.

Haven't the Mossos commanders been replaced by officers appointed by Madrid?

Of course obeying orders has always been a defence by those concerned with the 'legality' of their position.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Roger said:

Mughal.

Mogul -
    1. countable noun

India has been rather a rich source of 'new' english words. I think pyjamas and bungalow are two I remember as favourites
    I once convinced someone that the etymology of bungalow was this.

Some builders were building a two storey house, but half way through the client ran out of money, and only had one storey built, so hey told the builders to 'bung a low' roof on the building and he'd live in a one storey house.

Thus the word 'bungalow' was born.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited March 2018
    been out in meetings all day - catching up now but I believe John Woodcock has become even more impressive whilst I've been out?
This discussion has been closed.