Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Suddenly TMay’s survival chances look a lot stronger

Comments

• Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

Pulpstar said:

May Vs Corbyn next time round I think, contrary to the rest of the pbbrains trust

I've been predicting that for ages - as I said last year, there is no sensible path for the Tories to go from "we have a wonderful Brexit deal" to "we're gonna sack the woman who got it". That said, I think that conditions are optimal for May when there's a sense of crisis AND the Brexit talks are going OK. In more normal times, post-Brexit, I wonder.
    Health. Always a great excuse, particularly when it's at least partly true.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Foxy said:

Elliot said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

She's still a crap campaigner and Corbyn's a great campaigner which will be crucial during a general election campaign.

Such a 'crap' campaigner she still got the highest Tory voteshare at a general election since Thatcher in 1983, higher than Major, Hague, IDS, Howard, even Cameron ever got. Corbyn did much better than expected because he united the left and May fell from the stratosphere with a few own goals but the right was firmly behind May and indeed most of the centre too
    She was garbage. You are right to mention Corbyn, he is the reason her share was as high as it was. People voting against him rather than for her.
    Polling evidence before the general election suggested both Cooper and Umunna would have polled worse against May than Corbyn did with only Khan polling fractionally better

http://uk.businessinsider.com/poll-labour-would-go-backwards-under-yvette-cooper-or-chuka-umunna-2017-5
    Many centrist Remainers on twitter believe that because they prefer a Cooper or Umunna lead Labour Party, Labour would be 20 twenty points head in the polls if one of them were leading the party. Labour need a left wing leader without Corbyn’s baggage in order to maximise their electoral appeal, IMHO.
    Thornberry is soft left but doesn’t alienate centrists. She also has great presentational style and a wonderful voice (which she credits her singing and Marlboro Light habits for)
    I like Thornberry as well. I’d definitely be voting Labour if she was leader.
    I find her a bit patronising. Yvette Cooper and Sadiq Khan would be my choices.
    snip
    Coopers day has gone, though I could see her back on the Front Bench. I quite like Thornberry, but have a soft spot for Angela Rayner and Jess Phillips too. The latter two have the nessecary firebrand oratory and roots in swing regions.

Jess Phillips would be a great PM.
    I also like Jess Philips, although she’s not the Corbynistas favourite person to say the least. I also like Angela Rayner, I find her backstory really inspiring. I have to say though, I’m not the greatest fan of Chris Leslie. He seems to be someone who is unhappy if anyone other than a massive Blairite is leading Labour.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

She's still a crap campaigner and Corbyn's a great campaigner which will be crucial during a general election campaign.

Such a 'crap' campaigner she still got the highest Tory voteshare at a general election since Thatcher in 1983, higher than Major, Hague, IDS, Howard, even Cameron ever got. Corbyn did much better than expected because he united the left and May fell from the stratosphere with a few own goals but the right was firmly behind May and indeed most of the centre too
    She was garbage. You are right to mention Corbyn, he is the reason her share was as high as it was. People voting against him rather than for her.
    Polling evidence before the general election suggested both Cooper and Umunna would have polled worse against May than Corbyn did with only Khan polling fractionally better

http://uk.businessinsider.com/poll-labour-would-go-backwards-under-yvette-cooper-or-chuka-umunna-2017-5
    Many centrist Remainers on twitter believe that because they prefer a Cooper or Umunna lead Labour Party, Labour would be 20 twenty points head in the polls if one of them were leading the party. Labour need a left wing leader without Corbyn’s baggage in order to maximise their electoral appeal, IMHO.
    I doubt I'd ever vote for a Cooper led Labour party, but she's the voice in it that I find most convincing. I used to dislike her when she seemed some of a Brownite stooge, but I expect my view of her was tainted by my view of him.

I've really warmed to her, and Ed, over the last couple of years, and I think they would be a solid couple to restore Labour's credibility. I'm aware this change in feeling may be influenced by their lack of enthusiasm for Corbyn.

I've never found Umunna at all convincing. I think he'd be a weak Labour leader.

I'm a tory who's glad we're leaving the EU, so unlikely to be a trusted advisor for Labour folk :)
    Of all the centrists, I like Umunna the most, although I agree with you that I don’t think he’d be a great leader. Someone to bring back into the shadow cabinet though. I agree on Ed - I voted for Labour back when he was leader in 2015, and as time goes on my opinion of him only gets better and better. Unfortunately I don’t think he would appeal to the public - 2015 kind of proved that - he’s another that I think would be great in the shadow cabinet.
    Umunna would be a disastrous leader. He doesn't have the backbone for the fight. Plus he is scared of what will be revealed about his past.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

Many
    Thornberry is soft left but doesn’t alienate centrists. She also has great presentational style and a wonderful voice (which she credits her singing and Marlboro Light habits for)
    Been a while since we had a fat PM. Difficult to bang on about austerity , food banks , preventative health etc at that fighting weight.
    That’s a bit below the belt.
    True though - Brown the only non- trim PM for over 40 years - and he wasn’t elected.

If you can’t look after yourself why trust them with the country.
    Bareing in mind how porky we are as a nation of lardarses, I can see where you are going. If only thin people could vote we would have had a Remain landslide!

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2016/06/30/the-weight-of-brexit-leave-vote-is-higher-in-areas-of-higher-obesity/
    The voters deep down are shallow -Cameron was well turned out and had a nice smile. Ditto Tony.

Scruffs like Foot, Brown and Corbyn all lost elections.
    There is some truth to that, but Jezz now dresses smartly, while Mays clunky jewelry and migraine inducing outfits are not ones with mass appeal. I have always thought that such interesting clothes are particularly popular with mediocraties who inwardly fear their inner dullness.
    He would have to lose the beard.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

He spent the last campaign defending his IRA links.

Didn't hurt Jez.

The Orange Order did not organise a demonstration outside parliament attended by many MPs, prompting Jezza to write a grovelling letter of faux apology
    The OO have other fish to fry.

https://twitter.com/glasgowcathcart/status/978724255222419456

https://twitter.com/jamesdoleman/status/978745555055710208
    Fake news - an obvious false flag attempt.
    I expect so too.

Fenians - or Catholics - would never be seen in a chapel! They go to mass in a church - and any self respecting anti Fenian would know that.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    edited March 2018

I don’t have anything against Cooper per se, but I just feel very uninspired by her centrist politics. I feel like Cooper’s time to run was 2010. I remember thinking in 2015 that she was the one to lead Labour, in part because of how terrible the other leadership candidates were. Now looking back, her leadership campaign was pretty lacklustre and doesn’t exactly make me that she’d make a great leader. I have to say I have warmed to Sadiq Khan though, ever since that Mayoral campaign. Prior to that, I wasn’t much of a fan.

Coopers day has gone, though I could see her back on the Front Bench. I quite like Thornberry, but have a soft spot for Angela Rayner and Jess Phillips too. The latter two have the nessecary firebrand oratory and roots in swing regions.

@dixiedean :
    Jess Phillips would have me voting Tory. JC could only turn water into wine!
  • Options

Foxy said:

Elliot said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

Such a 'crap' campaigner she still got the highest Tory voteshare at a general election since Thatcher in 1983,
    People voting against him rather than for her.

snip

I also like Jess Philips, although she’s not the Corbynistas favourite person to say the least. I also like Angela Rayner, I find her backstory really inspiring. I have to say though, I’m not the greatest fan of Chris Leslie. He seems to be someone who is unhappy if anyone other than a massive Blairite is leading Labour.
    Rayner's backstory is utterly meaningless as qualification for high office. She has yet to demonstrate any policy or presentational flair. She might improve given 10-15 years - but she is not close to being ready.

Philips just jumps on the outrage bandwagon wherever it is heading. She doesn't always think before she speaks. She would be a nightmare anywhere near high office. Far better suited to being a stroppy backbencher than a disciplined minister or leader.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    HHemmelig said:

nielh said:

the list above is very optimistic.

You don't say.

Putting Brexit to one side, we haven't had a recession since 2009 so the chance of one cropping up before 2022 is pretty high. That would change things considerably.
    Recessions happen:

1. When an economy overheats and brakes need applying;
    2. When there is a credit crunch and the lack of money supply stifles activity;
    3. When some external shock hits the economy.

(1) is theoretically possible given employment rates but inflation remains lowish, as does growth. The chances of much higher interest rates is surely very low.

(2) is very unlikely, at least from domestic sources, as banks are more tightly regulated than pre-2008 and are in any case only just loosening the purse strings;

(3) is the big risk, tied in with Brexit itself - though the possibility of something going badly wrong in China, for example, can't be wholly dismissed. But if the UK can strike a reasonable transition deal, then a Brexit-induced recession is unlikely too.

All in all, short of some world crisis, we should be clear for a little while longer yet.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

I doubt I'd ever vote for a Cooper led Labour party, but she's the voice in it that I find most convincing. I used to dislike her when she seemed some of a Brownite stooge, but I expect my view of her was tainted by my view of him.

I've really warmed to her, and Ed, over the last couple of years, and I think they would be a solid couple to restore Labour's credibility. I'm aware this change in feeling may be influenced by their lack of enthusiasm for Corbyn.

I've never found Umunna at all convincing. I think he'd be a weak Labour leader.

I'm a tory who's glad we're leaving the EU, so unlikely to be a trusted advisor for Labour folk :)
    snip
    Umunna would be a disastrous leader. He doesn't have the backbone for the fight. Plus he is scared of what will be revealed about his past.
    I remember that being rumoured around the time he withdrew, although his line was that he was concerned about the impact it would have on his family if he was leader. Not having a backbone does seem to be thing with Labour centrists, I have to say. David Miliband in 2009 was just the first sign....
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    I've gone right off Jess Phillips since she first came on the scene. There's a fine line between being down-to-earth and "plain-speaking", and just being plain unprofessional and immature, and she's on the wrong side of it IMO.
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    Danny565 said:

I've gone right off Jess Phillips since she first came on the scene. There's a fine line between being down-to-earth and "plain-speaking", and just being plain unprofessional and immature, and she's on the wrong side of it IMO.

Her sniggering at debating men's issues showed she was very Corbynite in mentality: only the right type of victims count.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Does anyone know why YouGov didn't appear to release a poll last week?
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516

HHemmelig said:

nielh said:

the list above is very optimistic.

You don't say.

Putting Brexit to one side, we haven't had a recession since 2009 so the chance of one cropping up before 2022 is pretty high. That would change things considerably.
    Recessions happen:

1. When an economy overheats and brakes need applying;
    2. When there is a credit crunch and the lack of money supply stifles activity;
    3. When some external shock hits the economy.

(1) is theoretically possible given employment rates but inflation remains lowish, as does growth. The chances of much higher interest rates is surely very low.

(2) is very unlikely, at least from domestic sources, as banks are more tightly regulated than pre-2008 and are in any case only just loosening the purse strings;

(3) is the big risk, tied in with Brexit itself - though the possibility of something going badly wrong in China, for example, can't be wholly dismissed. But if the UK can strike a reasonable transition deal, then a Brexit-induced recession is unlikely too.

All in all, short of some world crisis, we should be clear for a little while longer yet.
    Trump's trade war springs to mind.
  • Options

I remember that being rumoured around the time he withdrew, although his line was that he was concerned about the impact it would have on his family if he was leader. Not having a backbone does seem to be thing with Labour centrists, I have to say. David Miliband in 2009 was just the first sign....

I won't repeat the rumours that I have heard about him - but they certainly would have an impact on his family if they came out.

He never appears totally trustworthy or worthy of respect. Just too oily for my tastes.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721

Scott_P said:

Corbyn's a great campaigner which will be crucial during a general election campaign.

Depends how much of the campaign he has to spend defending anti-Semitism

https://twitter.com/robertsjonathan/status/978742121040621568

Didn't hurt Jez.
    Because nobody thought he could win. It's different now.
    A complacent attitude. Some may have stayed away because they thought he was crap but now back him. Will they outnumber those backing him reluctantly?
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Elliot said:

Danny565 said:

Her sniggering at debating men's issues showed she was very Corbynite in mentality: only the right type of victims count.
    Well yes.
    Her attitude towards sex workers and trans people shows she is the very opposite of a Corbynite.
    Only HER kind of victims count.
    But I agree, she is utterly unsuited for office.
    A curtain twitching Roundhead.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541
    alex. said:

Tbh, I’m not sure whether May would be better next time. There seems to be a lot being made of the fact May’s had a pretty good month. It should be remembered that May was having a pretty good time of it up until about May last year, and also looked indestructible back then.

"Better" could just mean "a better overall package", even if she isn't any better at general campaigning. And a lot more thought will go in to the policy offering. Don't forget the last election was supposed to be first and foremost about increasing the majority to deliver Brexit. Which explained the lack of detailed background policy content. Then when they thought they were heading for landslide they started suggesting electoral losing policies "in the national long term interest".
    Who is to say that the Tory manifesto won't be every bit as crap next time around ?

I'd put it about 50/50.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,830
    Elliot said:

Danny565 said:

It is so often the case that only the right type of victims count.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,040
    brendan16 said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

Didn't hurt Jez.

The Orange Order did not organise a demonstration outside parliament attended by many MPs, prompting Jezza to write a grovelling letter of faux apology
    The OO have other fish to fry.

https://twitter.com/glasgowcathcart/status/978724255222419456

https://twitter.com/jamesdoleman/status/978745555055710208
    Fake news - an obvious false flag attempt.
    I expect so too.

Fenians - or Catholics - would never be seen in a chapel! They go to mass in a church - and any self respecting anti Fenian would know that.
    Thanks for your expert view.

'The word chapel is in particularly common usage in the United Kingdom, and even more so in Wales, for Nonconformist places of worship; and in Scotland and Ireland for Roman Catholic churches.'

https://tinyurl.com/ybqu39mz
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Elliot said:

Danny565 said:

Well yes.
    Her attitude towards sex workers and trans people shows she is the very opposite of a Corbynite.
    I have to say, I don’t agree with her re trans people. A lot of the feminists that I’ve agreed with on other things - Sarah Ditum, Victoria Smith etc - have been a bit disappointing for me on this issue. What has she said re sex workers?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

I'm always skeptical of such polls. Maybe they are right, but even for people with a decent profile we don't really know how their leader ship will be defined, how well it will go. Take this Hunt talk - he seems like he'd do ok maybe, but who he is as Health Secretary will not be the same as him as PM, bbc it might be that once he can flourish in the top job he would poll better than if we asked the question now. Or he might do worse.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,955
    RoyalBlue said:

I think there’s a decent chance May leads the Tories into the next election. She’ll have quite the CV:

Brexit (transition)
    Brexit (end state)
    Growing economy
    Low unemployment
    Growing real wages
    Sustained increase in NHS spending
    High housebuilding
    Foreign policy credibility

As an admirer whose hopes were dashed at 10pm on 8th June 2017, I would like her to redeem herself. The media would love the rematch narrative, and it would play in her favour.

It will have been around 13 years since the last recession in 2022. It's quite a reach to assume the economic cycle won't have turned by then.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

Been a while since we had a fat PM. Difficult to bang on about austerity , food banks , preventative health etc at that fighting weight.
    True though - Brown the only non- trim PM for over 40 years - and he wasn’t elected.

Bareing in mind how porky we are as a nation of lardarses, I can see where you are going. If only thin people could vote we would have had a Remain landslide!

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2016/06/30/the-weight-of-brexit-leave-vote-is-higher-in-areas-of-higher-obesity/
    I have put back on the 2 stone I had lost prior to the Brexit vote. Based on that rate of change Brexit will kill me pretty quick, which some people would probably love.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Elliot said:

dixiedean said:

Elliot said:

Foxy said:

Tbh, I’m not sure whether May would be better next time. There seems to be a lot being made of the fact May’s had a pretty good month. It should be remembered that May was having a pretty good time of it up until about May last year, and also looked indestructible back then.

I don't think May will lead the next campaign, but neither will she be defenestrated. I expect her to resign voluntarily once the Brexit deal is out of the way. She doesn't look to me to be someone who relishes another campaign.
    If May continues to represent the UK well abroad, gets a decent Brexit deal, puts in the scale of reforms needed to get houses built and promotes a talented bench for the next leadership contest, she can retire with a strong legacy and be an elder stateswoman. What more could she want?
    A realistic chance of all that coming to pass?
    There are promising signs on three of the four. Promoting a talented bench is the one there has been little action on.
    Getting a decent Brexit de.
    Here in Epping Forest we are getting 11 000 new homes under the Local Plan and if the Council had not agreed that on time, against LD and Residents' opposition, the Government would have increased that number to 20,000. It is actually the LDs who are most often the leading NIMBYs in the Home Counties
    Well quite about the LD's. However, here we have a Council who got elected promising to rip up the Local Plan and won't have a new one till 2021 at the earliest. This is the 2nd Plan proposed, passed and discarded at Election time. LD's, Labour. Now it is Tories turn. So far we have had words from Javid.
    Unless he is prepared to overrule a Conservative Council there will be no new houses actually built before the next GE.
    I do understand all parties will play it for local popularity, but Central govt needs to get tough, even if it means alienating its own supporters.
    Javid is now moving towards overruling even Conservative Councils if they do not meet the targets central government meets for housebuilding

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/house-building-council-targets-planning-powers-new-policy-a8238616.html
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

The voters deep down are shallow -Cameron was well turned out and had a nice smile. Ditto Tony.

Corbyn's not that scruffy anymore is he?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

I'm always skeptical of such polls. Maybe they are right, but even for people with a decent profile we don't really know how their leader ship will be defined, how well it will go. Take this Hunt talk - he seems like he'd do ok maybe, but who he is as Health Secretary will not be the same as him as PM, bbc it might be that once he can flourish in the top job he would poll better than if we asked the question now. Or he might do worse.
    Yes but they often give a good indication eg Blair and Cameron easily polled best of the 1994 Labour and 2005 Tory hopefuls, Major matched Heseltine in 1990 in trial polls and both led Kinnock after Thatcher had fallen behind, Ed Miliband polled worse than his brother in 2010 etc
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

May Vs Corbyn next time round I think, contrary to the rest of the pbbrains trust

I've been predicting that for ages - as I said last year, there is no sensible path for the Tories to go from "we have a wonderful Brexit deal" to "we're gonna sack the woman who got it". That said, I think that conditions are optimal for May when there's a sense of crisis AND the Brexit talks are going OK. In more normal times, post-Brexit, I wonder.
    I think there is a oath to her going which is 'what a great job getting a good deal against the odds' with her then going 'it took everything out of me, and it's time for the next generation of leaders to take us into the post Brexit world'

Problem is a goodish deal may make may want to stick around, not bow out with head high and yes then sacking is difficult

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

RoyalBlue said:

I think there’s a decent chance May leads the Tories into the next election. She’ll have quite the CV:

Brexit (transition)
    Brexit (end state)
    Growing economy
    Low unemployment
    Growing real wages
    High housebuilding

As an admirer whose hopes were dashed at 10pm on 8th June 2017, I would like her to redeem herself. The media would love the rematch narrative, and it would play in her favour.

It will have been around 13 years since the last recession in 2022. It's quite a reach to assume the economic cycle won't have turned by then.
    Quite so. There will be achievements to crow about, but perhaps not so many. And some big potential weaknesses.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Elliot said:

Danny565 said:

Well yes.
    I have to say, I don’t agree with her re trans people. A lot of the feminists that I’ve agreed with on other things - Sarah Ditum, Victoria Smith etc - have been a bit disappointing for me on this issue. What has she said re sex workers?
    Here is one thing.
    https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/labour-mp-jess-phillips-attacks-10991605
    She seems to take a somewhat prurient interest in what people choose to do with their bodies.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

He is hardly dapper
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

snip
    I remember that being rumoured around the time he withdrew, although his line was that he was concerned about the impact it would have on his family if he was leader. .
    It was just so odd he'd apparently never considered the likely impact. I mean ed m had such an easy go of it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Elliot said:

dixiedean said:

Elliot said:

Foxy said:

I don't think May will lead the next campaign, but neither will she be defenestrated. I expect her to resign voluntarily once the Brexit deal is out of the way. She doesn't look to me to be someone who relishes another campaign.
    If May continues to represent the UK well abroad, gets a decent Brexit deal, puts in the scale of reforms needed to get houses built and promotes a talented bench for the next leadership contest, she can retire with a strong legacy and be an elder stateswoman. What more could she want?
    There are promising signs on three of the four. Promoting a talented bench is the one there has been little action on.
    Here in Epping Forest we are getting 11 000 new homes under the Local Plan and if the Council had not agreed that on time, against LD and Residents' opposition, the Government would have increased that number to 20,000. It is actually the LDs who are most often the leading NIMBYs in the Home Counties
    Well quite about the LD's. However, here we have a Council who got elected promising to rip up the Local Plan and won't have a new one till 2021 at the earliest. This is the 2nd Plan proposed, passed and discarded at Election time. LD's, Labour. Now it is Tories turn. So far we have had words from Javid.
    Unless he is prepared to overrule a Conservative Council there will be no new houses actually built before the next GE.
    I do understand all parties will play it for local popularity, but Central govt needs to get tough, even if it means alienating its own supporters.
    Javid is now moving towards overruling even Conservative Councils if they do not meet the targets central government meets for housebuilding

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/house-building-council-targets-planning-powers-new-policy-a8238616.html
    And indeed these are fine and laudable words my friend. Concrete action we await.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,592
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Elliot said:

Danny565 said:

Well yes.
    Here is one thing.
    https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/labour-mp-jess-phillips-attacks-10991605
    She seems to take a somewhat prurient interest in what people choose to do with their bodies.
    I suppose it is because of her longstanding opposition to grooming, trafficking and abuse of girls.

Most prostitutes are initiated into the game underage.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Elliot said:

Danny565 said:

Well yes.
    Here is one thing.
    I have to say I sympathise with her view on this one. My thoughts on how much of a choice prostitution is for many of those in the sex industry aligns with Janice Turner’s views in a recent column she did.

On that note, goodnight.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,265

TGOHF said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wj0wD-X1cc
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Elliot said:

Danny565 said:

Well yes.
    Here is one thing.
    I suppose it is because of her longstanding opposition to grooming, trafficking and abuse of girls.

Most prostitutes are initiated into the game underage.
    Utter fake news. You are supposed to be a scientist. The oft quoted "fact" comes from a survey of those underage. If you take a sample underage you will find a mean underage. The lead "scientist" responsible Melissa Farley has been disbarred by several organisations,

Initiated is a loaded term as you well know. Their is no high priest or priestess.

Most sex work takes place Online and is a rational decision taken by rational adults despite your distaste for choices.

Parroting myths does nothing to aid the abused or victimised. It harms them. Christians really ought to know better.

Sorry to have to be like this with you, as you are a poster I respect.

However, I feel really strongly about this, and believe ultimately in evidence based policy making.

The evidence (not anyones feelz or squick) is clear and unequivocal.

• Options
    GreenHeronGreenHeron Posts: 148
    On topic, I'm not sure she will lead the conservatives into the next election, and I'm not sure that she should.

As OGH alludes to, May's greatest asset is her durability, as evidenced in both her tenure in the Home Office and as PM. This may be a controversial view but I believe that she deserves great credit for her handling of Brexit so far, managing to steer a very narrow path that does not enrage either or both of the Moggite and Soubryite wings of her party, as well as leading the country towards a soft Brexit that most accurately reflects a 52-48 win for Leave. She has also handled the Russian situation well and clearly curries support overseas.

However once Brexit is done, being a survivor is not enough. Corbyn will repulse many voters but if there's one thing we've learned from Trump, Brexit et al, it's that populations are increasingly wilking to think the unthinkable. By 2022 a clear majority of the population will never have lived as an adult under socialism, and easily enough will know little of the IRA or the horrors of communist Russia to be able to grasp what all the fuss is about with Corbyn's affinities.

We know that Corbyn is a very strong campaigner and he will be able to get across a powerful vision. This, I believe needs to be countered by a conservative vision of its own and I do not believe- save for some some fairly unpleasant authoritarian stuff - May possesses any such vision. My hope is that May steps aside once her Brexit duties are done to allow the party to have a proper leadership contest where someone can sell their vision to the party, and then to the country, as Cameron did in the last leadership contest.

I am optimistic that she also believes, or can be persuaded, that this is the right course of action.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Elliot said:

dixiedean said:

Elliot said:

Foxy said:

And indeed these are fine and laudable words my friend. Concrete action we await.
    Concreting all over the greenbelt though we don't need, even if we need more housing built
  • Options
    edited March 2018

On topic, I'm not sure she will lead the conservatives into the next election, and I'm not sure that she should.

As OGH alludes to, May's greatest asset is her durability, as evidenced in both her tenure in the Home Office and as PM. This may be a controversial view but I believe that she deserves great credit for her handling of Brexit so far, managing to steer a very narrow path that does not enrage either or both of the Moggite and Soubryite wings of her party, as well as leading the country towards a soft Brexit that most accurately reflects a 52-48 win for Leave. She has also handled the Russian situation well and clearly curries support overseas.

However once Brexit is done, being a survivor is not enough. Corbyn will repulse many voters but if there's one thing we've learned from Trump, Brexit et al, it's that populations are increasingly wilking to think the unthinkable. By 2022 a clear majority of the population will never have lived as an adult under socialism, and easily enough will know little of the IRA or the horrors of communist Russia to be able to grasp what all the fuss is about with Corbyn's affinities.

We know that Corbyn is a very strong campaigner and he will be able to get across a powerful vision. This, I believe needs to be countered by a conservative vision of its own and I do not believe- save for some some fairly unpleasant authoritarian stuff - May possesses any such vision. My hope is that May steps aside once her Brexit duties are done to allow the party to have a proper leadership contest where someone can sell their vision to the party, and then to the country, as Cameron did in the last leadership contest.

I am optimistic that she also believes, or can be persuaded, that this is the right course of action.

That depends on an alternative Tory leader polling better than May, no evidence of that yet and May can say she has already won almost 60 more seats than Corbyn once, even if it was not the landslide originally hoped for. In fact the only Tory leader to have actually lost to Corbyn is Cameron who lost the 2016 local elections to him, May beat Corbyn in both the 2017 county council and general elections, we await to see if she holds that record in May
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,055

However once Brexit is done, being a survivor is not enough

That gives her a personal interest in dragging it out forever.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Further to my previous post, the one thing that would change this is a recession (which cannot be blamed on the government). While i hope David Herdson's prognosis is correct, I'm more inclined to go with RCS and think that this is a strong possibility.

In this circumstance May's stubborn durability is likely to play well with the electorate and I find it difficult to imagine the electorate taking a risk on Corbynomics.

If the economy remains benign, however, it seems like a very joyless boom. Infrastructure, notably health, roads and homes, is under serious stress, meaning that the country is likely to be receptive to a new (old) radical vision for the country, and I fear a repeat of 1945, albeit with a far worse prospect than Attlee.

I do not share the widespread belief that Corbyn cannot be elected.
  • Options

However once Brexit is done, being a survivor is not enough

That gives her a personal interest in dragging it out forever.
    That rather depends on whether she wants to be PM forever. I'm not convinced.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Elliot said:

Danny565 said:

Well yes.
    Here is one thing.
    I have to say I sympathise with her view on this one. My thoughts on how much of a choice prostitution is for many of those in the sex industry aligns with Janice Turner’s views in a recent column she did.

On that note, goodnight.
    In terms of it being not much of a choice then yes,

But if it is a choice between school shoes for your child or none?
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    An advantage to May staying from a Labour perspective is it could bring more of the time for a change voters over to the Labour side. Although I do question how much a change of leader would counter that impulse anyway.

I like Thornberry, she has an advantage over the other left wing or Corbyn friendly likely candidates in that she has more experience but even if Corbyn goes after the next election the others (like say Rayner) will have learned a lot and if he stays on longer than that then it wouldn't be much of a factor at that point.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,994

I do not share the widespread belief that Corbyn cannot be elected.

I don't either. He got close last time and the Momentum Sonderkommando will be even more numerous and motivated next time as it's JC's last chance.

Also, despite his long standing flirtation with Bebel's 'socialism of fools' and other moral lapses by association, he is not as annoying, boring and strange as May. That probably matters to low information voters.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    To add to what I was saying earlier even if we have somewhat steady progress I can imagine Theresa May's nothing has changed clip will come in handy if it is Corbyn vs May next time.
  • Options
    A story to gladden the heart of every thinking PBer... a populist voter revolt in favour of AV:
    https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/03/27/paul-lepage-maine-governor-ranked-choice-voting-217715
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,958
    Off-topic:

An unusual story about a politician and parasitic worms:
    https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/03/nasty-3ft-long-parasitic-worms-are-on-the-cusp-of-being-wiped-from-the-planet/

Carter just went up in my estimation.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,317

What would spike Corbyn is an effective end to austerity.

There is an opportunity for the Conservatives to play a balanced approach to the economy, investment in public services and keeping taxes reasonable, in GE2022, whilst contrasting with Corbyn's recklessness on the economy and national security.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

RoyalBlue said:

Brexit (transition)
    Brexit (end state)
    Growing economy
    Low unemployment
    Growing real wages
    High housebuilding

Yet, there's no rule that says that it will either.

We could easily continue to have a few more years of reasonable growth.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

FWIW, I think May does want to stay the course (I'm not sure if she wants to fight GE2022, too) because she wants her legacy to be something other than just Brexit, and has a passion for domestic reform too.

It will still be about Brexit, of course. But, that's not how she sees it.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Foxy said:

Elliot said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

I don’t have anything against Cooper per se, but I just feel very uninspired by her centrist politics. I feel like Cooper’s time to run was 2010. I remember thinking in 2015 that she was the one to lead Labour, in part because of how terrible the other leadership candidates were. Now looking back, her leadership campaign was pretty lacklustre and doesn’t exactly make me that she’d make a great leader. I have to say I have warmed to Sadiq Khan though, ever since that Mayoral campaign. Prior to that, I wasn’t much of a fan.

I asked you why the other day but did t see your reply.

All I’ve seen of Jess Phillips is a willingness to be feisty on Twitter. No indication of thought on policy or vision and some alarming amber lights (e.g. wasn’t it her who dismissed any concern about male suicide?)

Why do you believe she’d be great?

(Genuine question)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105

rcs1000 said:

RoyalBlue said:

Brexit (transition)
    Brexit (end state)
    Growing economy
    Low unemployment
    Growing real wages
    High housebuilding

Yet, there's no rule that says that it will either.

We could easily continue to have a few more years of reasonable growth.
    The remarkably low level of interest rates might have done something to actually break the cycle boom and bust. We have been on life support for so long, normal expectations on the economy don’t apply.

It would be somewhat ironic if the raising of interest rates to signal we were back to something like normal was to trigger another “normal” recession.
  • Options

There is an opportunity for the Conservatives to play a balanced approach to the economy, investment in public services and keeping taxes reasonable, in GE2022, whilst contrasting with Corbyn's recklessness on the economy and national security.

Tory defence personnel cuts:

RN: 6,000 cut down to 29,000
    RAF: 6,500 cut down to 31,500
    Army: 8,000 cut down to 94,000

And that's before we get into any of the hardware and services procurement incompetence.

What does 'reckless' look like compared to that record?
  • Options

“Delivering the bus” - putting a total of an extra £350m into the NHS since 2015 by 2022 would not only spike Corbyn, it would spike the Remoaners too. They mocked it could never be delivered - well, it has been..... make it clear it would be imperilled if we had to return to paying membership fees on Rejoining - bish bash bosh, jobs a good ‘un.......
  • Options
    An extra weekly £350m that should say.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Elliot said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

I asked you why the other day but did t see your reply.

All I’ve seen of Jess Phillips is a willingness to be feisty on Twitter. No indication of thought on policy or vision and some alarming amber lights (e.g. wasn’t it her who dismissed any concern about male suicide?)

(Genuine question)
    She's attractive in an old fashioned lefty sort of a way. I'm with Foxy. She'd get my vote.

(Who needs policies when Brexit is taking us all to Hell in a handcart)
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,712
    Nigelb said:

A story to gladden the heart of every thinking PBer... a populist voter revolt in favour of AV:
    https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/03/27/paul-lepage-maine-governor-ranked-choice-voting-217715

"It’s not like Maine is venturing into some uncharted territory,” says Lee Drutman, a senior fellow at New America who studies political reform. “It’s adapting to a system that’s been adopted successfully in cities across the country and countries around the world.”
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

And that's before we get into any of the hardware and services procurement incompetence.

No-one is more angry about the defence cuts than me. I even refused to renew my Tory party membership over it in 2011, and didn’t rejoin until 2015.

I’ve laid out my own thoughts on hire on a rise in defence spending to 2025, and I’d also support a “global security and development” budget of 3% of GDP post Brexit that would cover defence, international development, and the foreign and commonwealth office.
  • Options

“Delivering the bus” - putting a total of an extra £350m into the NHS since 2015 by 2022 would not only spike Corbyn, it would spike the Remoaners too. They mocked it could never be delivered - well, it has been..... make it clear it would be imperilled if we had to return to paying membership fees on Rejoining - bish bash bosh, jobs a good ‘un.......
    They’d probably flip to say; yes, but, not in real terms, and most of that money hasn’t come from the EU anyway.

But, that’d be a losing battle.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,612

They’d probably flip to say; yes, but, not in real terms, and most of that money hasn’t come from the EU anyway.

They always lose the battle with the bus.

You'd think they'd learn, but no.
  • Options

In a post Brexit battle for who has gained or lost most by far the easier task is convincing people they have lost something. It is so much more tangible
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

No-one is more angry about the defence cuts than me. I even refused to renew my Tory party membership over it in 2011, and didn’t rejoin until 2015.

I’ve laid out my own thoughts on hire on a rise in defence spending to 2025, and I’d also support a “global security and development” budget of 3% of GDP post Brexit that would cover defence, international development, and the foreign and commonwealth office.
    Yeah, but you're not the defence secretary; the fireplace salesman is. So it's the actual record not your personal fantasy football defence policy that'll have to be defended and justified in the 2022 GE if the tories want to make national security a major platform.
  • Options

. Corbyn will repulse many voters but if there's one thing we've learned from Trump, Brexit et al, it's that populations are increasingly wilking to think the unthinkable. By 2022 a clear majority of the population will never have lived as an adult under socialism, and easily enough will know little of the IRA or the horrors of communist Russia to be able to grasp what all the fuss is about with Corbyn's affinities.

You'll have to elaborate on that one?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

"It’s not like Maine is venturing into some uncharted territory,” says Lee Drutman, a senior fellow at New America who studies political reform. “It’s adapting to a system that’s been adopted successfully in cities across the country and countries around the world.”
    Indeed.... but that is to pass over the rather remarkable spectacle of an electorate going into battle with the legislature over the issue.
  • Options
    Roger said:

You'll have to elaborate on that one?
    In the referendum the Remain side kept pointing out that the £350 million on the side of the bus wasn't true (it was at best highly selective, and certainly misleading, as its the gross, not net figure) - demanding apologies/retractions because the true figure was 'only' £288 million...

...to the ordinary punter both are enormous amounts of money - and for reasons best known to themselves, Remain seemed to think that it was a good idea to keep pointing out that we gave the EU enormous amounts of money (which of course we don't, as its a fraction of total government spending).

Leave were delighted when Remain kept keeping it in the news, repeatedly throwing themselves onto the bear trap.....
  • Options
    Charles said:

Class based analysis to social problems.
    Unreconstructed third wave feminist.
    It would be like having Aunt Pol from Peaky Blinders as PM.
    On the morally and intellectually superior side of the defining argument de nos jours.

#jp4pm Would vote.
  • Options
    If May can deliver a Brexit that:

1) doesn’t drive the economy off a cliff (looking promising)
    2) delivers borders that we control, not Brussels (not necessarily much reduced immigration - but where the UK decides what workers it wants, with what skills)
    3) restricts access to UK fishing grounds - needs work yet
    4) transfers some of the membership fees from Brussels to the NHS

Then she will carry a healthy majority of the population with her that Brexit was worth it. She can’t realistically announce much on 4) until any deal is concluded, as the EU is going to try and claw as much of our membership fees back in “extras” as they can. But it would be a promising start to a new era.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,183
    Scott_P said:
    Will they refer themselves to these lawyers, given both have a long history of sympathy with antisemites and Formby has repeatedly made anti-Semitic (officially 'anti-Zionist') remarks? That really would put pressure on world popcorn supplies...
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,263
    Dura_Ace said:

Scrapping Trident and doing something to put those trends into reverse would be positively enlightened.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,183
    edited March 2018
    IanB2 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scrapping Trident and doing something to put those trends into reverse would be positively enlightened.
    A view which is shared by some surprising people, including as I recall Sir Malcolm Rifkind.

Edit - but of cours,e that's not Corbyn's policy, as he would wish to divert that money away from defence entirely.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Dura_Ace said:

How many do we need?

If, for example, we had 150,000 soldiers that wouldn’t help in the case of a Russian invasion. In fact it might just encourage our politicians to get involved overseas

I’m not saying current numbers are right - I do not know - but you are coming across as “cuts= bad”
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    In-house isn't good enough. It has to be external and completely independent. Anything else looks like a cover up
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    If the Conservatives are going to let Theresa May stay until Brexit is done, that begs the question when Brexit will be done. Not by next March, that’s for sure. At that point the negotiations for the long term deal will just about be starting.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

Yeah, but you're not the defence secretary; the fireplace salesman is. So it's the actual record not your personal fantasy football defence policy that'll have to be defended and justified in the 2022 GE if the tories want to make national security a major platform.
    There’s no need to be rude. I influence as much as I am able by writing letters and highlighting the issue.

I sense there’s a change of mood on the Tory backbenches. We’ll see what happens in the Budget and next year.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

If the Conservatives are going to let Theresa May stay until Brexit is done, that begs the question when Brexit will be done. Not by next March, that’s for sure. At that point the negotiations for the long term deal will just about be starting.

look on the bright side it gives you another five years of carping and griping about something you cant influence
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Indeed.... but that is to pass over the rather remarkable spectacle of an electorate going into battle with the legislature over the issue.
    As Maine goes, so goes the Nation?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Good morning, everyone.

Given the diplomatic coalition throwing out Russian spies, maybe the lesson we should draw is that persuading the world (or large parts of it) to act in unison is easier than doing the same for the Conservative Party? :p

Mr. Ace, aye. In my entire adult life, the armed forces have been ill-treated by every major party. Alone, they didn't have money splurged on them during Brown's profligacy (but were good enough to be joyridden into Iraq). They then weren't ring-fenced during the early Coalition years and are now still being cut.

And it's not just manpower and hardware that needs funding, it's psychological care and aftercare. A significant proportion of the homeless are ex-forces personnel. We've become rather good at teaching young men [women too but it's still predominantly men] to kill others in the theatre of war, but less good at coping with the after-effects.

[As an aside, Lindybeige has a great video on Battle Fatigue in the ancient world, comparing/contrasting it with the modern world. He makes a compelling case for things being much worse now on the basis that a soldier can never let his guard down due to IEDs and suicide bombers and snipers, whereas in the ancient times combat was primarily two large armies marching at one another, and full-blown battles were pretty rare].
  • Options
    Charles said:

Dura_Ace said:

How many do we need?

If, for example, we had 150,000 soldiers that wouldn’t help in the case of a Russian invasion. In fact it might just encourage our politicians to get involved overseas

I’m not saying current numbers are right - I do not know - but you are coming across as “cuts= bad”
    The army is now at a level that is below critical mass, and little more than a gendarmerie.

And, actually, it might: if the UK could rapidly deploy and support a full equipped warfighting division to the Baltic States that would certainly help deter any Russian aggression.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Dura_Ace said:

The MoD estimate for a Trident replacement is about 20bn so you can probably double that for the eventual real cost. That pays for a lot of squaddies (Army), jacks (RN) and hairdressers (the other lot).

If the MoD can put aside its customary mismatch of super power pretensions but no commensurate budget to achieve it there are other far cheaper (by a factor of 10 or 20) solutions for nuclear weapons: B61mod 12 on F-35, see if the French will sell us ASMP or maybe put what is coyly described as a 'physics package' on Storm Shadow/Typhoon. Making Typhoon dual capable would also help its currently beleaguered NATO export prospects.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331

Pulpstar said:

If you get easily fed up, yes. Bu what is the evidence that May gives up easily?
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

As Maine goes, so goes the Nation?
    Isn't Maine rather 'different' in its electoral processes at the moment anyway? One of only two(?) states that doesn't operate winner takes all in the Electoral College.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,231
    I have been making this point for a couple of weeks now but had not thought about the market opportunities for which thanks.

The greater confidence has not just come from her handling of Salisbury/Russia but the way that she has brought forward an agreement with the EU which is both pragmatic and realistic. She achieved this by cabinet meetings, then her conciliatory speech followed up by an away day at Chequers where she seems to have got the entire cabinet to sign up on a position that she was then able to get to an agreement with the EU heads of State.

The commitment of both leavers and remainers within the cabinet is key to her current strength. As long as they all remained signed up to the deal that she makes she is pretty much untouchable. And so far they have. Is it possible that a prominent remainer or a Boris might do a strop and walk out dismantling this new found unity? Of course, but so far they haven't and the longer they don't the more committed they are.

May is going to deliver Brexit. It will be a Brexit that has elements for both sides. On the one hand we will not be in the CU or the Single Market and we are unequivocally leaving. On the other we will have a FTA, close co-operation on a range of matters, membership of certain organisations (talk of no pick and mix seems to have disappeared) and generally a constructive agreement with the EU which will involve future payments. Things could still go wrong both internally and with the EU but if May pulls this off she will be in the position to choose her own time for departure which is very likely to be after another election.

It's a remarkable turn around from the period after the election fiasco where she seemed to be suffering chronic depression and many (including me) were calling on her to go immediately.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    In-house isn't good enough. It has to be external and completely independent. Anything else looks like a cover up
    But Shami did such a good job last time they took it in-house....
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

This post made me chuckle.
    I'd be very interested in reading a thread header on defence and the Tories' record on it if you have the time!
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,936
    DavidL said:

I have been making this point for a couple of weeks now but had not thought about the market opportunities for which thanks.

The greater confidence has not just come from her handling of Salisbury/Russia but the way that she has brought forward an agreement with the EU which is both pragmatic and realistic. She achieved this by cabinet meetings, then her conciliatory speech followed up by an away day at Chequers where she seems to have got the entire cabinet to sign up on a position that she was then able to get to an agreement with the EU heads of State.

The commitment of both leavers and remainers within the cabinet is key to her current strength. As long as they all remained signed up to the deal that she makes she is pretty much untouchable. And so far they have. Is it possible that a prominent remainer or a Boris might do a strop and walk out dismantling this new found unity? Of course, but so far they haven't and the longer they don't the more committed they are.

May is going to deliver Brexit. It will be a Brexit that has elements for both sides. On the one hand we will not be in the CU or the Single Market and we are unequivocally leaving. On the other we will have a FTA, close co-operation on a range of matters, membership of certain organisations (talk of no pick and mix seems to have disappeared) and generally a constructive agreement with the EU which will involve future payments. Things could still go wrong both internally and with the EU but if May pulls this off she will be in the position to choose her own time for departure which is very likely to be after another election.

It's a remarkable turn around from the period after the election fiasco where she seemed to be suffering chronic depression and many (including me) were calling on her to go immediately.

I hope you are right. I still have serious doubts about May's competence and beliefs but is she does deliver in the way you suggest she will deserve an apology.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    edited March 2018
    Just listening to R4 - the presenter (I can't recognise the voice - Sarah montague?) is having a ride in a Tornado, which will soon go out of service. It sounds like ALOT of fun.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Given the diplomatic coalition throwing out Russian spies, maybe the lesson we should draw is that persuading the world (or large parts of it) to act in unison is easier than doing the same for the Conservative Party? :p

Mr. Ace, aye. In my entire adult life, the armed forces have been ill-treated by every major party. Alone, they didn't have money splurged on them during Brown's profligacy (but were good enough to be joyridden into Iraq). They then weren't ring-fenced during the early Coalition years and are now still being cut.

And it's not just manpower and hardware that needs funding, it's psychological care and aftercare. A significant proportion of the homeless are ex-forces personnel. We've become rather good at teaching young men [women too but it's still predominantly men] to kill others in the theatre of war, but less good at coping with the after-effects.

[As an aside, Lindybeige has a great video on Battle Fatigue in the ancient world, comparing/contrasting it with the modern world. He makes a compelling case for things being much worse now on the basis that a soldier can never let his guard down due to IEDs and suicide bombers and snipers, whereas in the ancient times combat was primarily two large armies marching at one another, and full-blown battles were pretty rare].

I do like the Lindybeige videos particularly those highlighting the faults in history films.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    kle4 said:

TGOHF said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

o

O.

That's an excellent point. My white working class parents were strongly repelled by him when he first became Labour leader. Perfect fit with the idea some on here have that being left wing alienates traditional Labour voters. As soon as he invested in a decent suit they swung round. Polls are fine, but tailors' receipts are probably a better guide to who should you be putting your political betting stakes on.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

IanB2 said:

Dura_Ace said:

The MoD estimate for a Trident replacement is about 20bn so you can probably double that for the eventual real cost. That pays for a lot of squaddies (Army), jacks (RN) and hairdressers (the other lot).

If the MoD can put aside its customary mismatch of super power pretensions but no commensurate budget to achieve it there are other far cheaper (by a factor of 10 or 20) solutions for nuclear weapons: B61mod 12 on F-35, see if the French will sell us ASMP or maybe put what is coyly described as a 'physics package' on Storm Shadow/Typhoon. Making Typhoon dual capable would also help its currently beleaguered NATO export prospects.
    That all makes a great deal of sense.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    rkrkrk said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

I'd be very interested in reading a thread header on defence and the Tories' record on it if you have the time!
    The Tories are to defence what Labour are to the NHS. Untouchable, and hence they can do what they want, more often than not cut.

Although as Charles has pointed out we have not had a national debate about what force we want and want to project.

To date it has been vanity to various degrees by the SoS and CDS.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

rkrkrk said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

The Tories are to defence what Labour are to the NHS. Untouchable, and hence they can do what they want, more often than not cut.

Although as Charles has pointed out we have not had a national debate about what force we want and want to project.

To date it has been vanity to various degrees by the SoS and CDS.
    I am not sure the Tories are now untouchable on defence. One only has to look at the debacle over pay for attack helicopter pilots to see how much good will has evaporated over the last few years.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The events in Salisbury couldn’t have come at a better time in the EU Brexit negotiations. They were a reminder that we will still be working for the good of all Europeans, even outside the EU. And a reminder of just how damned good we are, relative to the puny efforts of the EU. We are a friend they still want - and need.

Thank you Mr. Putin, you really helped out here....
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,712

Dura_Ace said:

IanB2 said:

Dura_Ace said:

That all makes a great deal of sense.
    Isn't that the LibDem approach to Trident and heading towards Corbyn's?
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Mortimer said:

Just listening to R4 - the presenter (I can't recognise the voice - Sarah montague?) is having a ride in a Tornado, which will soon go out of service. It sounds like ALOT of fun.

The only time I have ever felt air sick in 20 years of continuous military aviation was in the back seat of a Bruggen wing Tornado GR1. The field of view from the back seat is very strange as one can't see forward (instruments) or down (intakes) but only above and partially to the sides. We did the strictly forbidden (for fear of upsetting the locals) but oft repeated re-enactment of Operation Chastise featuring the 60' high speed approach to the Mohne dam.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    edited March 2018
    F1: Red Bull back out to 5 for the title. I think that's wrong. They were surprisingly close in qualifying and their race pace was strong (hard to be precise given the nature of the race). They also have the best driver pairing of the top dogs.

Edited extra bit: Mr. Tyndall, "This leaf is wrong" [ok, TV not film, but still].
  • Options
    You can't help thinking that however well May is doing in the lead up to the next election it'll still end up like one of those alzheimer jokes. She'll suddenly remember fox hunting and grammar schools
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Trident is surely the main weapon we have to deter a Russian invasion?

Extra troops and planes and ships are all well and good but they would mainly be used for the benefit of NATO or military operations under the umbrella of the UN or in alliance with the USA. They would not do a great deal to add to the defence of the UK. The only actual defence they would likely make a significant difference to is the Falklands from Argentina or Gibraltar from Spain but neither Argentina nor Spain are as big a threat as Russia to us now
  • Options
    Roger said:

You can't help thinking that however well May is doing in the lead up to the next election it'll still end up like one of those alzheimer jokes. She'll suddenly remember fox hunting and grammar schools

Cruel....but it did make me chuckle.....
This discussion has been closed.