Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Lord Chancellor David Gauke becomes 3/1 favourite for next Cab

Comments

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,597

TGOHF said:

Surely the big issue is that you are smearing Pakistan by suggesting it is a place of exceptional homophobic intolerance and full of thugs incapable of controlling their actions. One could suggest your slur is racist and probably islamophobic.

It's not as bad as Russia when it comes to homophobia, or Bermuda, or Northern Ireland.

I'm not sure Pakistan has ever had a 'Save Pakistan from Sodomy' campaign.
    Though he would most likely not be the only gay in the village:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2342217/Pakistan-internet-users-Google-searches-gay-sex-despite-worlds-homophobic-countries.html
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850

There are a number of MPs who also retain their council seats - at least for a period. There are many, many councillors who hold seats at Parish, Borough and County level at the same time.

It is surely up to the voters to decide whether the level of commitment being offered is acceptable by their representatives.

In the south, the "twin hats" as they are generally known, are Conservatives who sit on both County and Borough/District Councils. It isn't always an easy situation for Officers who have to put proposals to County Members knowing they are also District/Borough Members.

Certainly when local Government re-organisation was on the agenda, sensible proposals from Officers were blocked by Members trying to defend the status quo. I struggle to defend the current two-tier arrangements - if you were starting from scratch, you wouldn't have the absurd split of function you have where the rubbish is collected by one set of Councils and taken to waste sites run by a different local Government tier.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056
    Charles said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:
    So how long this time before he has to take something down because M'learned friends have sent him a letter/email?
    Then put it back up again after they amplify the 'outing' many times over with personal statements and direct links to the PM?
    If you think outing someone without their consent is acceptable then there's no hope for you.
    If you think accusing a former partner of something based on personal advice given and expecting the relationship to remain a secret you've led a very protected life.
    Nah.
    His central defence is he was providing advice to his partner. You can't make that defence without stating the nature of the relationship.

Do you think the right to privacy should prevent an accused party from mounting a defence? If so, then I am troubled that you are a lawyer.
    He knew that his ex partner had relatives in Pakistan where such news can be life ending news.

There's ways of rebutting it without outing him.

'We were very good friends, and I'm sorry his recollection is wrong, I expected better from someone who I considered a very close friend'
    Very close friend =/= partner when it comes to advice.

The man has a right to conduct a defence as he sees fit and without constraint.
    They were introduced in the context of Vote Leave, not socially as claimed by Parkinson. That undermines the central premise of Parkinson's statement.
    https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/977891317568196609
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,930
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Mind you, someone needs to explain to me why the Queen is always called The Duke of Normandy, and not the Duchess of Normandy.

Is this some bizarre joke by The Collaborator Channel Islands?

Because she has the body of a weak, feeble woman; but the heart and stomach of a king, and of a King of England too. She is also Duke of Lancaster.
    Well the Lancastrians are weird.
    I'll take the Duke of Lancaster over the Duke of York any day.
    Unfortunately for him, the Duke of Lancaster was comprehensively unable to take the Duke of York on pretty much any day, with the dazzling exception of the Battle of Wakefield.

Pretty much every other major battle in the Wars of the Roses - First St Albans, Northampton, Towton, Barnet and Tewkesbury - the Lancastrians got their arses handed to them.
    They still won, though...

Bosworth was the only one that mattered in the end.
    Technically of course there were two Dukes of York. It is also the case that in many of the battles of the Wars of the Roses neither Duke was present - Blore Heath, Hexham, Edgecote Moor, Sandwich for example.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960

Dom Cummings points out The Guardian uses the same 'harvesting data' techniques they are (erroneously) claiming Vote Leave did:

https://dominiccummings.com/2018/03/28/on-the-referendum-24d-walter-mitty-cambridge-analytica-facebook-and-the-guardian-observer/

So they know how dangerous it is?
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:
    So how long this time before he has to take something down because M'learned friends have sent him a letter/email?
    Then put it back up again after they amplify the 'outing' many times over with personal statements and direct links to the PM?
    If you think outing someone without their consent is acceptable then there's no hope for you.
    If you think accusing a former partner of something based on personal advice given and expecting the relationship to remain a secret you've led a very protected life.
    Nah.
    His central defence is he was providing advice to his partner. You can't make that defence without stating the nature of the relationship.

Do you think the right to privacy should prevent an accused party from mounting a defence? If so, then I am troubled that you are a lawyer.
    He knew that his ex partner had relatives in Pakistan where such news can be life ending news.

'We were very good friends, and I'm sorry his recollection is wrong, I expected better from someone who I considered a very close friend'

They were introduced in the context of Vote Leave, not socially as claimed by Parkinson. That undermines the central premise of Parkinson's statement.
    No one important (the voters) has any interest in this bubble story
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

AnneJGP said:

Good afternoon, everyone.

I've read the comments on the previous thread & am interested in the MP/Mayoral predicament of Dan Jarvis. Can anyone explain to me why individual parties should decide their own rules on this, rather than having one constitutional set of rules regardless of party?

People have caused by-elections just to make a point, I think it's not really for the law to decide which ones are justified and which not, and therefore who else should pay for it.
    There are a number of MPs who also retain their council seats - at least for a period. There are many, many councillors who hold seats at Parish, Borough and County level at the same time.

It is surely up to the voters to decide whether the level of commitment being offered is acceptable by their representatives.

Jarvis seems a diligent sort of chap - I think he can handle a dual role for a while. Labour's manoeuvres on this are clearly an attempt to dislodge a potential threat rather than any desire for constitutional clarity.

If Labour mess this up, as they appear to be doing. Jarvis could end up as a rallying point in the Commons.
    I am on the other side of this. If the new Mayors are to mean anything other than a sinecure, then they should be full time. If Jarvis wants to leave the Commons to do it, like Burnham or Khan, or Leicesters own Peter Soulsby have done, then he should. I don't think this is a new rule.
    I think it comes down to individual choice. Labour threatening one of their own MPs over this is sending the wrong message entirely.

Changing the rules part way through the process is just not democratic.

Jarvis stood making his intentions very clear. He was duly selected. Then the rules were changed. No wonder people are narked.
    Like I said, Burnham, Khan, Soulsby and a number of others all resigned as MPs so as to become Mayors. Seems sensible to me.

Livingstone didn't - and being first mayor of London is absolutely a far bigger job then mayor of South Yorkshire

So it is one rule for a close ally of Corbyn and different for everyone else?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387

Charles said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:
    Nah.

No one important (the voters) has any interest in this bubble story
    Might they already have met?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,191
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Mind you, someone needs to explain to me why the Queen is always called The Duke of Normandy, and not the Duchess of Normandy.

Because she has the body of a weak, feeble woman; but the heart and stomach of a king, and of a King of England too. She is also Duke of Lancaster.
    Unfortunately for him, the Duke of Lancaster was comprehensively unable to take the Duke of York on pretty much any day, with the dazzling exception of the Battle of Wakefield.

Pretty much every other major battle in the Wars of the Roses - First St Albans, Northampton, Towton, Barnet and Tewkesbury - the Lancastrians got their arses handed to them.

Bosworth was not a battle of the Wars of the Roses, although it is sometimes lumped in with them, nor was Henry Duke of Lancaster, nor, with the exception of Oxford, were his senior commanders Lancastrians.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387

Charles said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:
    Nah.

Whistleblowers are ordinarily protected from victimisation. Stephen Parkinson was not entitled to out someone in response to whistleblowing (he could of course make a fuller explanation privately to his employer). He should be sacked.

However, the Prime Minister has a well-documented track record of tolerating juniors being abusive to others. Her acceptance of such appalling behaviour speaks volumes about her.
    Did Parkinson know, or should he have known, that he was outing Sanni?
  • Options
    slade said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Technically of course there were two Dukes of York. It is also the case that in many of the battles of the Wars of the Roses neither Duke was present - Blore Heath, Hexham, Edgecote Moor, Sandwich for example.
    No - although Edward twice claimed the title (in 1461 and 1471) it had been attainted and he was not able to inherit it.

Or were you referring to Prince Richard, the younger of the two princes in the Tower?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Charles said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:
    Nah.

Whistleblowers are ordinarily protected from victimisation. Stephen Parkinson was not entitled to out someone in response to whistleblowing (he could of course make a fuller explanation privately to his employer). He should be sacked.

However, the Prime Minister has a well-documented track record of tolerating juniors being abusive to others. Her acceptance of such appalling behaviour speaks volumes about her.

If they’d been dating for 18 months he would surely have known whether his partner was out to his mother.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307

Gauke may have misjudged but I’m struggling to see why it’s a resignation offence.

This seems to be trial by pitchfork to me.

The trouble is that trial by pitchfork this is the new norm.

• Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
  • Options
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited March 2018

Charles said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:
    Nah.

If they’d been dating for 18 months he would surely have known whether his partner was out to his mother.

Assumption there that he knew he had a mother.
    Not all relationships are honest about family matters.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,775
    edited March 2018

I think this whole 'outing' thing is nonsense. If you have secrets that are known and you don't want more widely known then more fool you should you make yourself a person of interest.

It is of course shabby for anyone else to be bandying about the secrets of others, but at times it's justified.

(PS I edited out all of the preceding - Alistair was clearly responding to a long conversation)
  • Options
    nielh said:

Gauke may have misjudged but I’m struggling to see why it’s a resignation offence.

The trouble is that trial by pitchfork this is the new norm.

Gauke listened to the experts, and well we know how much en vogue dissing experts is.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

AnneJGP said:

I've read the comments on the previous thread & am interested in the MP/Mayoral predicament of Dan Jarvis. Can anyone explain to me why individual parties should decide their own rules on this, rather than having one constitutional set of rules regardless of party?

People have caused by-elections just to make a point, I think it's not really for the law to decide which ones are justified and which not, and therefore who else should pay for it.
    There are a number of MPs who also retain

Jarvis seems a diligent sort of chap - I think he can handle a dual role for a while. Labour's manoeuvres on this are clearly an attempt to dislodge a potential threat rather than any desire for constitutional clarity.

If Labour mess this up, as they appear to be doing. Jarvis could end up as a rallying point in the Commons.
    I am on the other side of this. If the new Mayors are to mean anything other than a sinecure, then they should be full time. If Jarvis wants to leave the Commons to do it, like Burnham or Khan, or Leicesters own Peter Soulsby have done, then he should. I don't think this is a new rule.
    I think it comes down to individual choice. Labour threatening one of their own MPs over this is sending the wrong message entirely.

Jarvis stood making his intentions very clear. He was duly selected. Then the rules were changed. No wonder people are narked.
    Like I said, Burnham, Khan, Soulsby and a number of others all resigned as MPs so as to become Mayors. Seems sensible to me.

Livingstone didn't - and being first mayor of London is absolutely a far bigger job then mayor of South Yorkshire

I think it a good rule to follow, whoever wrote it.

Soulsby resigned when he stood for Mayor a long time before Corbyns leadership, and of course Ken was the first ever of the new style mayors 2 decades ago. He stood down as an MP shortly after too.

If elected Mayors are to be our preferred form of devolved government in England* then it is important to be a distinct distance from Westminster.

*I had some misgivings, but it has certainly been a success here in Leicester. Soulsby has done a lot to improve and redevelop the city, and will be remembered favourably for a long time.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Do we think that on reading that Milne will be a. quaking in his boots or b. laughing his socks off at the impotence of his opponents?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

AnneJGP said:

There are a number of MPs who also retain

Soulsby resigned when he stood for Mayor a long time before Corbyns leadership, and of course Ken was the first ever of the new style mayors 2 decades ago. He stood down as an MP shortly after too.

If elected Mayors are to be our preferred form of devolved government in England* then it is important to be a distinct distance from Westminster.

*I had some misgivings, but it has certainly been a success here in Leicester. Soulsby has done a lot to improve and redevelop the city, and will be remembered favourably for a long time.
    Nah, Ken remained as an MP over a year after he was elected Mayor of London.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Charles said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:
    Nah.
    He knew that his ex partner had relatives in Pakistan where such news can

'We were very good friends, and I'm sorry his recollection is wrong, I expectedclose friend'

Whistleblowers are ordinarily protected from victimisation. Stephen Parkinson was not entitled to out someone in response to whistleblowing (he could of co

However, the Prime Minister has a well-documented track record of tolerating juniors being abusive to others. Her acceptancemes about her.

If there is a more irrelevant subject than a grown mans inability to be honest with his family being discussed on a message board then god help the poor sods on there.

This whole farrango is just a load of chaff thrown up by a bunch of bad losers and vested interests who see their gravy train coming to a halt.

The guy “loves the boaby” - so he can’t vacation on the Costa del Karachi for a bit. Boo hoo. The ninny’s wanting another person to lose their job and career because he defended himself from a smear should get a life.
  • Options
    Hard to see that would be much more than an empty gesture, quite frankly. He's more or less divorced from the Labour Party now. Corbyn would probably indeed be glad to see the back of him.

If he crossed the floor - and worse, fought Barrow in a by-election and held it - that would be an absolutely shattering blow for Corbyn, but it also seems most unlikely.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Ken stayed on as MP for over a year - so that isn't that short a time period.

What is the difference between being an MP and a Mayor at the same time and being an MP and a Cabinet (or sub-cabinet) Minister?

Both scenarios essentially mean that you have two jobs - one looking after your constituents and representing them in Parliament and the other with your new added responsibilities that take you away from Parliament for extended periods to work elsewhere.

I can't see much difference - other than geography. And with modern technology, distance isn't what it was.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

100% agreed. The rule of the mob is the modern day disease. I hope Gauke hangs on.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Hard to see that would be much more than an empty gesture, quite frankly. He's more or less divorced from the Labour Party now. Corbyn would probably indeed be glad to see the back of him.

If he crossed the floor - and worse, fought Barrow in a by-election and held it - that would be an absolutely shattering blow for Corbyn, but it also seems most unlikely.
    We could do with an interesting by election.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Anazina said:

100% agreed. The rule of the mob is the modern day disease. I hope Gauke hangs on.
    I thought hanging may also be the rule of the mob......
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

The time for this has long passed. All the 'moderate' labour MP's are de facto redundant. I saw Chuka Umana's latest video on Brexit got four likes after 23 hours on Facebook.

Corbyn will now pass rule changes, and that will be the end of most of them. There is no way that being an MP should be a job for life. No other job is.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    nielh said:

ydoethur said:

The time for this has long passed. All the 'moderate' labour MP's are de facto redundant. I saw Chuka Umana's latest video on Brexit got four likes after 23 hours on Facebook.

Corbyn will now pass rule changes, and that will be the end of most of them. There is no way that being an MP should be a job for life. No other job is.
    Jeremy Corbyn, 69 this year and still going, would appear to disagree with you. And I don't imagine Skinner, Macdonnell or Flynn are going to be targets either.

Are you saying that this is all irrelevant, or that all Labour MPs should now cross the floor or resign their seats?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    ydoethur said:

Agreed. Hard to see him crossing the floor, near impossible even, and I don't see him fighting a by-election - a close seat which seems to have been trending Tory, maybe he wins, or maybe he loses mostly likely to a Tory, no one will care why he caused that.

Still, whether one agrees with his version of Labour or Corbyn's, if he does do this at least for once someone will have decided there was a line which even their tribalism could not cross. Granted, only after his election, but still.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Given the origins of the phrase I doubt rule of the mob is a modern day disease. But I know what you mean in the modern context. Only my wallet wants Gauke to resign, I don't think taking the decision he did with the advice he had, even if he turned out to be wrong, is worthy of resignation.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Do we think that on reading that Milne will be a. quaking in his boots or b. laughing his socks off at the impotence of his opponents?
    I think the answer is in the question. And Woodcock is the boldest of the rebels!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Agreed. Hard to see him crossing the floor, near impossible even, and I don't see him fighting a by-election - a close seat which seems to have been trending Tory, maybe he wins, or maybe he loses mostly likely to a Tory, no one will care why he caused that.

Still, whether one agrees with his version of Labour or Corbyn's, if he does do this at least for once someone will have decided there was a line which even their tribalism could not cross. Granted, only after his election, but still.
    I think there is a reasonable chance he would hold Barrow as a Tory. He only needs a few hundred votes to go with him (including the tiny handful of Lib Dem and Green votes that might be squeezed).

I just don't see him doing it. He isn't a Tory and disagrees with them on many things. Also, it would unleash the nastiest of the Jezziah's supporters. He would need round the clock police protection for a start, possibly for life.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,775
    Change for Labour will be signalled by nobody mentioning David Milliband as a likely future leader. At some point there will be a realistic option.

• Options
    kle4 said:

Anazina said:

Given the origins of the phrase I doubt rule of the mob is a modern day disease. But I know what you mean in the modern context. Only my wallet wants Gauke to resign, I don't think taking the decision he did with the advice he had, even if he turned out to be wrong, is worthy of resignation.
    Lord Saye and Sele, murdered by Jack Cade in 1450, or Simon of Sudbury in 1381 would certainly agree with you!
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850
    ydoethur said:

Being "divorced from Labour" doesn't make him a Conservative or a Lib Dem for that matter. He can sit as an Independent if he wishes or do what Dick Taverne did - resign his seat and win it as an Independent beating BOTH Labour and Conservative candidates.

The latter would be wonderful but he will probably claim he hasn't left Labour, Labour has left him so there's room for him to return in a post-Corbyn Party.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    IMO Labour won't win another election until people with John Woodcock's views are running the party.
  • Options
    I didn't realise that Woodcock is only 39.

He is clearly trying to work out his post-Westminster career. Even if he wanted to stay on, he is likely to be deselected - so why not make as much noise as possible on the way out?
  • Options
    stodge said:

ydoethur said:

Being "divorced from Labour" doesn't make him a Conservative or a Lib Dem for that matter. He can sit as an Independent if he wishes or do what Dick Taverne did - resign his seat and win it as an Independent beating BOTH Labour and Conservative candidates.

The latter would be wonderful but he will probably claim he hasn't left Labour, Labour has left him so there's room for him to return in a post-Corbyn Party.

One thing's for sure, if he doesn't do it now having trailed it, he will look very silly. I'm not dismissing how hard it would be to resign the whip, even if as would be likely he intends to vote the same way Labour would in most cases, but what would be the purpose of hinting that you might? Corbyn's not going to rein himself in, it is highly unlikely others are going to publicly start saying 'We're with you on this, John' so it isn't to test the response, and I think we know the party members aren't going to follow en masse if others did join him.
  • Options

He is clearly trying to work out his post-Westminster career. Even if he wanted to stay on, he is likely to be deselected - so why not make as much noise as possible on the way out?

Why do you think he will be deselected? I don't think we have seen any sign of this despite all the hot air.

Worth noting that he probably only held the seat due to the Jezzagasm. There were swings against him in 2010 and 2015, but he gained 4.5% under Corbyn.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

I think the answer is in the question. And Woodcock is the boldest of the rebels!
    There’s an Easter break coming up. There’s going to be a huge amount of soul-searching by moderate Labour MPs over the break. And I suspect a lot of conversations between them.

I don’t rule out an Easter Uprising.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Scott_P said:
    Well, stood outside the door, not necessarily visiting.

We've all done it, at least years ago we could.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

nielh said:

ydoethur said:

Jeremy Corbyn, 69 this year and still going, would appear to disagree with you. And I don't imagine Skinner, Macdonnell or Flynn are going to be targets either.

Are you saying that this is all irrelevant, or that all Labour MPs should now cross the floor or resign their seats?
    The difference is that these MP's are now largely irrelevant. They are irrelevant to the overwhelming majority of labour party members, and estranged and distrusted by the leadership. The world has changed, and they are left standing still.

They needed to do an SDP2 at some point in late 2015, and die with honour. Instead, they just tried to undermine Corbyn and force him out, using the apparatus of the Labour party.

But the strategy didn't work. It failed completely. They are now just hovering around on death row.

• Options
    Foxy said:

Why do you think he will be deselected? I don't think we have seen any sign of this despite all the hot air.

Worth noting that he probably only held the seat due to the Jezzagasm. There were swings against him in 2010 and 2015, but he gained 4.5% under Corbyn.
    His majority has dropped to just 209 - he may have gained last year - but the Tory in second place gained more. It was still a small swing against him.

I think his constant anti-Corbyn positions make him a likely candidate for deselection. There are plenty of deselection moves going on at council level round the country - they will extend to MPs sooner rather than later.

He is unlikely to be an MP after the next election under current circumstances.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

There’s an Easter break coming up. There’s going to be a huge amount of soul-searching by moderate Labour MPs over the break. And I suspect a lot of conversations between them.

You are suggesting they will be Dublin down on their current course of timidity, ineptitude and failure?
  • Options
    nielh said:

ydoethur said:

nielh said:

ydoethur said:

The difference is that these MP's are now largely irrelevant. They are irrelevant to the overwhelming majority of labour party members, and estranged and distrusted by the leadership. The world has changed, and they are left standing still.

They needed to do an SDP2 at some point in late 2015, and die with honour. Instead, they just tried to undermine Corbyn and force him out, using the apparatus of the Labour party.

But the strategy didn't work. It failed completely. They are now just hovering around on death row.

More like deselection row (after Bob Dylan)
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    Foxy said:

That was an amazing result in Barrow considering the usual difficulties the local Labour MP faces with the nuclear industry. I for one had it down as a nailed on Tory gain last time. I still have nightmares now about being so out on the final result under 10 months ago.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Foxy said:

What is the difference between being an MP and a Mayor at the same time and being an MP and a Cabinet (or sub-cabinet) Minister?

Both scenarios essentially mean that you have two jobs - one looking after your constituents and representing them in Parliament and the other with your new added responsibilities that take you away from Parliament for extended periods to work elsewhere.

I can't see much difference - other than geography. And with modern technology, distance isn't what it was.
    Technically speaking, distance has remained exactly what it was...,
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Foxy said:

His majority has dropped to just 209 - he may have gained last year - but the Tory in second place gained more. It was still a small swing against him.

I think his constant anti-Corbyn positions make him a likely candidate for deselection. There are plenty of deselection moves going on at council level round the country - they will extend to MPs sooner rather than later.

He is unlikely to be an MP after the next election under current circumstances.
    I am pretty sure a Corbynista would however have lost Barrow. Trident alone would have been a killer.

Even without Woodcock - although personal vote is not the force it was - it is worth remembering Labour lost Copeland, on paper a much safer seat for them, and couldn't regain it, even though their candidate was hardly a Corbyn loyalist either. If they deselect him I suspect they will come to regret it.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

We've heard that talk a million times before. They're a supine inert bunch. I'd love an uprising, but I don't think its likely to happen any time soon.
  • Options

If it was that big an issue, why get photographed at a Pride event at 10 Downing Street?

Lots of people attend Pride events who aren't gay.
    Not if it risks getting their family killed they don’t.
  • Options
    nielh said:

ydoethur said:

nielh said:

ydoethur said:

That's probably true, but the point remains that people don't really have a problem with MPs having a job for life. They have a problem with MPs they dislike having a job for life.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955

nielh said:

ydoethur said:

nielh said:

ydoethur said:

They're painting the passports blue...
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    edited March 2018
    Gauke was stupid not to challenge it, I remember many of us said so at the time.

I think the bigger issue is the malign effect of the civil service on ministers, they are far too negative. It's always about what isn't possible and scaring the minister away from actually trying to make the country better, either by keeping a horrific rapist locked up or by reforming the education sector and making it fit for purpose as Gove tried to do.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    dixiedean said:

nielh said:

ydoethur said:

nielh said:

ydoethur said:

Good on Woodcock, if its true. At last someone might have had the guts to make a stand.
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113

Scott_P said:

Last autumn we couldn't. Are you seriously trying to say he just wandered in there off Whitehall without being invited?

Partisanship is a hell of a drug.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,067
    I see that shortage of agricultural workers is really affecting food prices now.

It costs all of 20p to buy a kg of British carrots:

https://groceries.asda.com/product/carrots/asda-growers-selection-carrots/30240
  • Options

dixiedean said:

nielh said:

ydoethur said:

nielh said:

ydoethur said:

Good on Woodcock, if its true. At last someone might have had the guts to make a stand.
    I think you mean Woodstock.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    What's the glaxo price, my browser shows 1179 but another site shows 1380 ?!
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Last autumn we couldn't. Are you seriously trying to say he just wandered in there off Whitehall without being invited?

There's several PBers that have visited 10/11 Downing Street, the vetting is a nightmare.
  • Options
    On resigning the whip, I see that not including the Speaker there are currently 5 Independent MPs at the moment.

Although only one intentionally so.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

There's several PBers that have visited 10/11 Downing Street, the vetting is a nightmare.
    Really? I haven’t been for a couple of years but I just put my case and jacket through an X-ray and wandered in
  • Options
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Technically speaking, distance has remained exactly what it was...,

Most people often fail to realize that length has no meaning in the Geneal Theory of Relativity. In Einstein's own words, GTR is a theory only of 'space-time coincidences'. That means all measurement can only be local (at an event) . This destroys the notion of length and time co-ordinates as observables. They only emerge as observables in flat (trivial) space-times.

Physics eh!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

On resigning the whip, I see that not including the Speaker there are currently 5 Independent MPs at the moment.

I take it you are not including Caroline Lucas in that list, and your one is Sylvia Hermon?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Scott_P said:

Really? I haven’t been for a couple of years but I just put my case and jacket through an X-ray and wandered in
    I think my initial thing was I was listed at two different concurrent addresses far apart.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

nielh said:

ydoethur said:

nielh said:

ydoethur said:

I think you mean Woodstock.
    By the time we got to Woodcock, we were half a million strong....
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,546
    ydoethur said:

Mr. Eagles, isn't that because French inheritance couldn't pass through a female line? That's why they denied the legitimacy of Edward III's claim to the French throne. [Well, the official reason, anyway].

Not sure why the Duke of Lancaster title should be likewise, though.

I thought it was the other way around - they invented that rule to both (1) deny Edward III as the only grandson of Philip IV the throne and (2) to exclude Philip's other ostensible grandchild, the Queen of Navarre, about whose legitimacy there were very real doubts after her mother was caught in flagrante delicto with one of her husband's servants.
    A little unfair to say that they invented it for the occasion; rather they adopted what was an ancient tradition for their convenience in excluding the English from the succession (and more or less stuck with it):
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salic_law
  • Options

Charles said:

Scott_P said:

I think my initial thing was I was listed at two different concurrent addresses far apart.
    I guess I’m on the approved list...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Our systems shows it as 1,379.34
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The BBC shows mid price of 1397.40p +46.40 +3.43%
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:

I haven't been on the approved list since the evening of July 13th 2016.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

I take it you are not including Caroline Lucas in that list, and your one is Sylvia Hermon?
    Yes indeed.

I am interested to see her majority was slashed in 2017 and she only has a majority of 1208 now. With the DUP in second, and SF the SDLP getting a combined 2.4% in the seat (and that with SF increasing their share), that is one strong Unionist seat.

The NI Conservatives even almost held their deposit in 2015.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:

I don’t get involved in internal politics.
  • Options
    God I hate Andrew Adonis, what a moron.

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/979083061651542017
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942

Charles said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:

What happened 10 days before the referendum?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Gauke was stupid not to challenge it, I remember many of us said so at the time.

I think the bigger issue is the malign effect of the civil service on ministers, they are far too negative. It's always about what isn't possible and scaring the minister away from actually trying to make the country better, either by keeping a horrific rapist locked up or by reforming the education sector and making it fit for purpose as Gove tried to do.

If he JR'd the decision, it would have amounted to the politicisation of the Justice system. If you have Ministers intervening in individual cases, where does it end? Civil servants are just explaining the implications of their decisions. I think Gauke made the right call. In this case, the problem appears to be with the sentencing in the first place.

• Options
    nielh said:

MaxPB said:

If he JR'd the decision, it would have amounted to the politicisation of the Justice system. If you have Ministers intervening in individual cases, where does it end? Civil servants are just explaining the implications of their decisions. I think Gauke made the right call. In this case, the problem appears to be with the sentencing in the first place.

If the legal advice had been it was felt there was something legally or procedurally wrong with the decision and there was a decent prospect of success, then his JR'ing it would have been sound, even if in part motivated by headlines. But certainly given the advice he had, it was not an unreasonable decision not to do so.

And it has all worked out anyway.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,280
    edited March 2018
    Breaking

Highest level of nerve agent on Skripal's front door

Their home was the first place they came in contact with the nerve agent
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:

Was that when Mike tweeted an old ICM poll and sent Sterling soaring?
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:

Nah, that was 2015 wasnt it?
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926

Sam Coates Times
    ‏Verified account @SamCoatesTimes
    17m17 minutes ago

Latest YouGov voting intention - here at 10pm
  • Options
    kle4 said:

nielh said:

MaxPB said:

If the legal advice had been it was felt there was something legally or procedurally wrong with the decision and there was a decent prospect of success, then his JR'ing it would have been sound, even if in part motivated by headlines. But certainly given the advice he had, it was not an unreasonable decision not to do so.

Indeed.

If he had pursued a JR and lost - then he would have been in a far worse position. The legal advice looks pretty nuanced to me and I can see why that judgement call was made.

Far better to maintain the separation of the Parole Board and DoJ
  • Options
    marke09 said:

Sam Coates Times
    17m17 minutes ago

Labour up 1 - calling it now.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150
    Pulpstar said:

I think it's your search engine (Google), not your browser, giving you the daily low.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

marke09 said:

Sam Coates Times
    17m17 minutes ago

Labour up 1 - calling it now.
    EICIPM?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

nielh said:

MaxPB said:

It hasn't quite worked out, because now the parole board need to make the decision again. It is difficult to see how they can do this in an independent way.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:

Nah, that was 2015 wasnt it?
    Nope, that was during the referendum.

It was a really stressful time for me.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

God I hate Andrew Adonis, what a moron.

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/979083061651542017

Generally speaking idiots think any system is flawed which gives them a result they don't like. Adonis is a prize idiot of the worst kind.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Yes indeed.

I am interested to see her majority was slashed in 2017 and she only has a majority of 1208 now. With the DUP in second, and SF the SDLP getting a combined 2.4% in the seat (and that with SF increasing their share), that is one strong Unionist seat.

The NI Conservatives even almost held their deposit in 2015.
    However, the Catholic population is 13.5%, suggesting Lady S takes some cross community support (a good thing), IMO.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    marke09 said:

Sam Coates Times
    17m17 minutes ago

Easter hols = tories on the ski slopes
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Remainers finally realising that Labour had a manifesto commitment to Leave the EU is absolutely hilarious.

No wonder they lost to a bus.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150
    geoffw said:

Pulpstar said:

I think it's your search engine (Google), not your browser, giving you the daily low.
    That is, the 52-week low!
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    Labour not doing a very good impression of a government in waiting. Absolute shambles currently.
  • Options
    How long can this go on - labour mps need to find their integrity and resign on mass and sit as independents
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    nielh said:

kle4 said:

nielh said:

MaxPB said:

It hasn't quite worked out, because now the parole board need to make the decision again. It is difficult to see how they can do this in an independent way.
    By that logic no-one should have JR's the decision, when as the judges have determined it was flawed and thus the JR was entirely justified. By that logic whenever a JR results in a decision going back to the determining body to redo it, they could not do so.

It may well be difficult for the parole board to take the decision. But as we have now had a judgement that the original decision was flawed, I fail to see how asking the board to do it again and properly this time, is worse than leaving in place a decision which was so flawed a court overturned it.
This discussion has been closed.