Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Lord Chancellor David Gauke becomes 3/1 favourite for next Cab

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Jezza again proving he that a) never changes his world view on anything and b) he is as thick as mince.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:
    Remainers finally realising that Labour had a manifesto commitment to Leave the EU is absolutely hilarious.

No wonder they lost to a bus.
    86.6%+ of votes cast in June 2017 were for parties pledging to implement Brexit. And Remainers still think it won’t happen. Priceless.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

God I hate Andrew Adonis, what a moron.

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/979083061651542017

What a berk. Being in favour of a system until it goes against you.

With friends like these is it any wonder that remain lost.
  • Options

Jezza again proving he that a) never changes his world view on anything and b) he is as thick as mince.

Or is being manipulated by Milne et al
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,717
    Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:
    Remainers finally realising that Labour had a manifesto commitment to Leave the EU is absolutely hilarious.
    It is in some cases. I get there was a chance they would change direction, but sometimes it seems like the most loyal people are out there defending Oh Jeremy and also talking about the priority of stopping Brexit, which right now you cannot do both of those.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Some of all three of those explanations is the most likely IMHO.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Labour not doing a very good impression of a government in waiting. Absolute shambles currently.

While Ed was a bit of a plonker and the labour team around him were not stellar they weren’t dangerous idiots. The likes of Cooper balls live in the real world and aren’t morons.

Not only do team twat have a very flawed take on the world, with only the odd exception they are absolutely utterly dense.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,144
    glw said:

Some of all three of those explanations is the most likely IMHO.
    That is some as in sum?
  • Options

I presume Milne does not have mind control powers (and if he does, we had all best watch out), any more than Nick Timothy does - ultimately the leaders have to, well, lead, and cannot blame evil counsel, or have others blame that counsel for them.
  • Options
    If we're going to take a look at poor parole decisions then this one stands out as a particularly poor one.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/two-men-convicted-of-murdering-woman-after-rape-and-torture-1.3442450?mode=amp

Both on parole, both convicted of murder. I think the parole board have a lot to answer for here. At least Worboys was not able to harm anyone while out of prison, these two raped, tortured and killed an innocent woman. Anyone who made the decision to let these two animals out should be kicked off the parole board.
  • Options

Labour not doing a very good impression of a government in waiting. Absolute shambles currently.

While Ed was a bit of a plonker and the labour team around him were not stellar they weren’t dangerous idiots. The likes of Cooper balls live in the real world and aren’t morons.

Not only do team twat have a very flawed take on the world, with only the odd exception they are absolutely utterly dense.
    40+% in the polls though. people like something about the lot of them, or like what they propose so much they can ignore misgivings about the messenger.
  • Options

The same way Warner manipulated the young* naive Cameron Bancroft.

* by young we are talking about a 25 year old man.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Having now read the Corbyn interview in more detail, he just can't stop equivocating. There is not acceptance of any personal responsibility for it. It will not change the story - it only adds fuel to the fire.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    kle4 said:

nielh said:

kle4 said:

nielh said:

MaxPB said:

Gauke was stupid not to challenge it, I remember many of us said so at the time.

I think the bigger issue is the malign effect of the civil service on ministers, they are far too negative. It's always about what isn't possible and scaring the minister away from actually trying to make the country better, either by keeping a horrific rapist locked up or by reforming the education sector and making it fit for purpose as Gove tried to do.

If he JR'd the decision, it would have amounted to the politicisation of the Justice system. If you have Ministers intervening in individual cases, where does it end? Civil servants are just explaining the implications of their decisions. I think Gauke made the right call. In this case, the problem appears to be with the sentencing in the first place.

If the legal advice had been it was felt there was something legally or procedurally wrong with the decision and there was a decent prospect of success, then his JR'ing it would have been sound, even if in part motivated by headlines. But certainly given the advice he had, it was not an unreasonable decision not to do so.

And it has all worked out anyway.
    It hasn't quite worked out, because now the parole board need to make the decision again. It is difficult to see how they can do this in an independent way.
    By that logic no-one should have JR's the decision, when as the judges have determined it was flawed and thus the JR was entirely justified. By that logic whenever a JR results in a decision going back to the determining body to redo it, they could not do so.

It may well be difficult for the parole board to take the decision. But as we have now had a judgement that the original decision was flawed, I fail to see how asking the board to do it again and properly this time, is worse than leaving in place a decision which was so flawed a court overturned it.
    Yeah, but my point is that the problem is with the original sentencing, not the parole board.
    The parole board have to take a decision on whether he is likely to re-offend. AIUI they concluded that he wouldn't and agreed that he could be conditionally released. The decision of the JR seems to be that they didn't take in to account the other alleged but unproven allegations against him. But what difference is that really going to make to the decision? They are all historic, and the police and CPS decided not to prosecute them. It's a bizarre finding because he is innocent of these crimes until proven guilty? Nothing is solved.

Hardwicks resignation letter draws attention to this point, and the fact that the case has been politicised, and the difficulties of objectively reassessing the case.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,202
    kle4 said:

nielh said:

kle4 said:

nielh said:

MaxPB said:

Gauke was stupid not to challenge it, I remember many of us said so at the time.

I think the bigger issue is the malign effect of the civil service on ministers, they are far too negative. It's always about what isn't possible and scaring the minister away from actually trying to make the country better, either by keeping a horrific rapist locked up or by reforming the education sector and making it fit for purpose as Gove tried to do.

If he JR'd the decision, it would have amounted to the politicisation of the Justice system. If you have Ministers intervening in individual cases, where does it end? Civil servants are just explaining the implications of their decisions. I think Gauke made the right call. In this case, the problem appears to be with the sentencing in the first place.

If the legal advice had been it was felt there was something legally or procedurally wrong with the decision and there was a decent prospect of success, then his JR'ing it would have been sound, even if in part motivated by headlines. But certainly given the advice he had, it was not an unreasonable decision not to do so.

It hasn't quite worked out, because now the parole board need to make the decision again. It is difficult to see how they can do this in an independent way.
    By that logic no-one should have JR's the decision, when as the judges have determined it was flawed and thus the JR was entirely justified. By that logic whenever a JR results in a decision going back to the determining body to redo it, they could not do so.

It may well be difficult for the parole board to take the decision. But as we have now had a judgement that the original decision was flawed, I fail to see how asking the board to do it again and properly this time, is worse than leaving in place a decision which was so flawed a court overturned it.
    Presumably this time they will make a more realistic assessment of the risk that this serial rapist poses to women if he is released and decide now is not the time.
  • Options

The same way Warner manipulated the young* naive Cameron Bancroft.

* by young we are talking about a 25 year old man.
    More to the point, sure he has spent most of his time on the backbenchers, but Jeremy Corbyn is an experienced political animal, with decades in parliament, and proud of his record of arguing and debating all manner of issues in a hard way. Why would such a person, so principled and experienced, be manipulated so easily by his advisers?
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:

It is extraordinary that some Remainers seemed to think that Corbyn's Labour would somehow work to derail Brexit. One wonders which part of his history made them so think?
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    God, Corbyn supporters have all the excuses ready on twitter re if that YouGov poll doesn’t turn out to be what they want. This is what happens when you choose to focus on individual polls depending on whether they are favourable to your party or not. It’s beyond parody.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    nielh said:

MaxPB said:

The problem was not the sentencing. The problem was that Labour introduced 'indeterminate sentences' which is what he was sentenced to. As a result it was considered not worth pursuing him further over other cases.

When Clarke - rightly - abolished these sentences as wide open to gross abuse, Warboys was back on his original tariff of eight years, which has expired. Feeling, with some justice, this doesn't meet the severity of his crimes, his victims have complained.

In this particular case I have to say it could have been resolved by a Lord Chancellor - again, presumably Clarke - ruling that Warboys given the very exceptional circumstances deserved a full life tariff.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    If Labour really is going to vote for the Brexit deal then surely the odds on Brexit happening on 29/03/19 should massively tighten.

But I doubt they will - because surely Corbyn will want to at least give himself a chance of defeating (and just maybe bringing down) the Govt.

Having said that, the odds have already shortened a lot - indeed one Brexit market has recently crossed over - "What will happen first - May out or Brexit" - Brexit is now clear favourite for the first time (ignoring freak trades) - at one point May out was matched at 1.03!

• Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    nielh said:

kle4 said:

nielh said:

MaxPB said:

They (a different board) take into account the factors the court told them to - and see if they reach a different decision (or not).

• Options

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:

It is extraordinary that some Remainers seemed to think that Corbyn's Labour would somehow work to derail Brexit. One wonders which part of his history made them so think?
    The part of his history where he promised everything to everybody?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    nielh said:

kle4 said:

nielh said:

MaxPB said:

But that is the only possible outcome of a successful judicial review, no matter who the applicant is. The court cannot make a substantive decision, it can only tell the body whose decision it is reviewing tae think again.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:

Tbf, the hardcore remainers on twitter have never liked Corbyn’s policy on this.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    kle4 said:

marke09 said:

Sam Coates Times
    ‏Verified account @SamCoatesTimes
    17m17 minutes ago

Latest YouGov voting intention - here at 10pm

Labour up 1 - calling it now.
    Does anyone pay any attention to midterm polls anymore?
  • Options
    HHemmeligHHemmelig Posts: 617
    MaxPB said:

If we're going to take a look at poor parole decisions then this one stands out as a particularly poor one.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/two-men-convicted-of-murdering-woman-after-rape-and-torture-1.3442450?mode=amp

Both on parole, both convicted of murder. I think the parole board have a lot to answer for here. At least Worboys was not able to harm anyone while out of prison, these two raped, tortured and killed an innocent woman. Anyone who made the decision to let these two animals out should be kicked off the parole board.

That case is a great advert for the death penalty
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,807
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Mr. Eagles, isn't that because French inheritance couldn't pass through a female line? That's why they denied the legitimacy of Edward III's claim to the French throne. [Well, the official reason, anyway].

Not sure why the Duke of Lancaster title should be likewise, though.

I thought it was the other way around - they invented that rule to both (1) deny Edward III as the only grandson of Philip IV the throne and (2) to exclude Philip's other ostensible grandchild, the Queen of Navarre, about whose legitimacy there were very real doubts after her mother was caught in flagrante delicto with one of her husband's servants.
    A little unfair to say that they invented it for the occasion; rather they adopted what was an ancient tradition for their convenience in excluding the English from the succession (and more or less stuck with it):
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salic_law
    Yet, Salic law did not prevent Elanor of Acquitaine or Mahaut of Burgundy (grandmother of the Queen of Navarre) becoming Peers of France in their own right. I'm inclined to think that it was an invented tradition.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

nielh said:

MaxPB said:

The problem was not the sentencing. The problem was that Labour introduced 'indeterminate sentences' which is what he was sentenced to. As a result it was considered not worth pursuing him further over other cases.

When Clarke - rightly - abolished these sentences as wide open to gross abuse, Warboys was back on his original tariff of eight years, which has expired. Feeling, with some justice, this doesn't meet the severity of his crimes, his victims have complained.

In this particular case I have to say it could have been resolved by a Lord Chancellor - again, presumably Clarke - ruling that Warboys given the very exceptional circumstances deserved a full life tariff.
    That is not in the power of a Lord Chancellor. And nor should it be.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

(a) and (b) may be related.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Anazina said:

kle4 said:

marke09 said:

Sam Coates Times
    17m17 minutes ago

Oh yes, on here definitely. And on social media. And throughout the Westminster Village more generally. We’ll never stop paying attention to polls.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

nielh said:

MaxPB said:

It is actually. Just ask Myra Hindley.

(Edit - I know she's dead. The point is her life sentence was confirmed by the Home Secretary prior to those powers passing to justice.)
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    nielh said:

kle4 said:

nielh said:

kle4 said:

nielh said:

MaxPB said:

I .

It hasn't quway.
    By that led it.
    Yeah, but my point is that the problem is with the original sentencing, not the parole board.
    Notwithstanding the rest of your post, but a court of law apparently disagrees with you. Whatever the problems of the original sentencing, or the inadequacy as far as the public sees it, judges decided there were problems with the parole board decision itself.

It may well be that a newly convened board comes to the same decision. I have no doubt someone would want to JR that as well in that case. It is also true that assessing the case with the background of this case will be very difficult indeed.

None of that, however, would justify not challenging a decision so poorly done a court had to overturn it, simply because it makes redetermining it more difficult. Whatever the politics there were clearly fundamental flaws with the decision, and better an attempt to objectively reassess, however difficult that will be in this atmosphere, than to leave in place flawed decisions. As I noted, your logic essentially means there's no point JR'ing anything that would, in that circumstance, go back to the decision maker, since how could they objectively reassess in that situation?

When I say it all worked out, that's merely my view in terms of the robustness of decision making - Gauke made a reasonable call, but a JR from others proved they were right to prevent the imminent release of Worboys. The fundamental issue of his release later, for surely it will happen at some point, will no doubt still cause great controversy, but all we can hope for is that the rules are properly followed. The JR was apparently needed to ensure that.
  • Options
    Ha

• Options
    MikeL said:

If Labour really is going to vote for the Brexit deal then surely the odds on Brexit happening on 29/03/19 should massively tighten.

But I doubt they will - because surely Corbyn will want to at least give himself a chance of defeating (and just maybe bringing down) the Govt.

Having said that, the odds have already shortened a lot - indeed one Brexit market has recently crossed over - "What will happen first - May out or Brexit" - Brexit is now clear favourite for the first time (ignoring freak trades) - at one point May out was matched at 1.03!

Labour cannot own a WTO Brexit. So they have to stand back and allow May’s deal to proceed.

Some of us have been saying this for months....
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    ydoethur said:

nielh said:

MaxPB said:

That seems...problematic. Retrospectively increasing a sentence without some sort of appeal that the sentence was unduly harsh (if such a thing is possible). The man is clearly terrible and would deserve it, but I would be very scared if the Lord Chancellor had that kind of power - are there limits on it at least, what merits exception circumstances?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936

MikeL said:

Labour cannot own a WTO Brexit. So they have to stand back and allow May’s deal to proceed.

Some of us have been saying this for months....
    And, indeed, I seem to remember that we've also been saying that triggering Article 50 was the key vote. Everything since has flowed from that.

• Options
    HHemmelig said:

MaxPB said:

Without doubt, there are people who deserve to be executed. But, I don't think we'd ever reach a consensus about who does deserve to be executed. The death penalty is always going to be tokenistic and applied inconsistently.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

nielh said:

MaxPB said:

(Edit - I know she's dead. The point is her life sentence was confirmed by the Home Secretary prior to those powers passing to justice.)
    But she had been sentenced to life. Warboys wasn’t. The LC can’t simply impose a sentence the court didn’t.
  • Options
    What's interesting is that the judgement looks to have critised the parole board for taking Worboys' story at face value on the effect of his crimes. Saying that his story was not credible given the extent of the crimes he was convincted, and alleged to have committed. Essentially it looks like Worboys' told the parole board a pack of lies and they ate it all up. Living up (down) to the image the plebs have of how getting parole works in this country.

I genuinely believe there are some crimes and criminals which cannot be redeemed. He is in that category, the two murderers from today's case are also in that category. The parole board must be much tougher with these animals and keep them off the streets, not believe their bullshit lies about how they have changed.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:

The part of his history where he promised everything to everybody?
    That;s called an election campaign isn't it?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,056
    MaxPB said:

' It was the second time each had murdered, having both killed pensioners in the 1990s before they met in prison. Each served 13 years of a life sentence before they were released on licence. '

The unusual thing about the Worboys case is the publicity it has attracted.

I wonder if the media would have given a toss about him if he hadn't been a London taxidriver.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HHemmelig said:

MaxPB said:

Without doubt, there are people who deserve to be executed. But, I don't think we'd ever reach a consensus about who does deserve to be executed. The death penalty is always going to be tokenistic and applied inconsistently.
    I have a feeling the polling on Brexiters being more likely to support the death penalty is about to be frantically linked to by someone
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

nielh said:

MaxPB said:

Wasn’t Charlie Falconer Lord Chancellor at one stage?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

' It was the second time each had murdered, having both killed pensioners in the 1990s before they met in prison. Each served 13 years of a life sentence before they were released on licence. '

I wonder if the media would have given a toss about him if he hadn't been a London taxidriver.
    Almost certainly not. But given the amount of trust we place in cab drivers, it is understandable why this was a high profile case.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

He would have, a serial rapist with over 100 victims is bound to get press, unless he was "Asian". Of course.
  • Options
    Re the Australain ball-tampering.

How can anyone believe that the bowlers didn't know that something was going on.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

He would have, a serial rapist with over 100 victims is bound to get press, unless he was "Asian". Of course.
    Media opinion-formers would be heavy users of London taxis I imagine - it would be a crime to which they would feel vulnerable.
  • Options

How can anyone believe that the bowlers didn't know that something was going on.

There were either lies told when they first confessed (there was at least one, re the material used) or they have lied now to save others. The 'Leadership group' stuff from Smith was curious phrasing from the start, since it implicated others, but only one other has been stated to have known. So either he tried to pin it on more than him and Warner (Bancroft surely is not a part of the leadership group) or he later lied about it.
  • Options

Anazina said:

kle4 said:

marke09 said:

Sam Coates Times
    17m17 minutes ago

Oh yes, on here definitely. And on social media. And throughout the Westminster Village more generally. We’ll never stop paying attention to polls.
    Indeed, my post was slightly provocative - people do pay attention but as you yourself implied the other day, they are rather pointless, given that 20pt swings are possible three weeks out from a general election. It is akin to consulting the weather forecast for tomorrow to predict the conditions on a specific day in June.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

HHemmelig said:

MaxPB said:

I have a feeling the polling on Brexiters being more likely to support the death penalty is about to be frantically linked to by someone
    I have no moral objection to the death penalty, but I think that the practical objections to its use in peacetime are very compelling.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

kle4 said:

marke09 said:

Sam Coates Times
    17m17 minutes ago

Indeed, my post was slightly provocative - people do pay attention but as you yourself implied the other day, they are rather pointless, given that 20pt swings are possible three weeks out from a general election. It is akin to consulting the weather forecast for tomorrow to predict the conditions on a specific day in June.
    Oh they are definitely pointless, but we eat it up anyway. We're supporting british industry by keeping the polling companies in business.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

It is all horseshit...they are trying to spin it that Warner leaned on the poor naive player to do something dodgy, Smith didn't know, Lehmann didn't know, the bowlers didn't know.

Having played to a semi-professional level as a youngster, I had the "joy" of being ball shiner to a number of bowlers who played test cricket. I remember one West Indian who was so laid back he was horizontal, unless you somehow damaged the ball / didn't kept the shine up, then you got absolute grief.

The likelihood that the bowlers totally missed that the ball was suddenly getting unnaturally rough on one side is absolutely zero.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Media opinion-formers would be heavy users of London taxis I imagine - it would be a crime to which they would feel vulnerable.
    Only you could read some pro-London media luvvie conspiracy into the coverage of this story. Come down here, try some of our restaurants, have a cocktail, let your hair down, let go man!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,359
    edited March 2018
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

HHemmelig said:

MaxPB said:

I have no moral objection to the death penalty, but I think that the practical objections to its use in peacetime are very compelling.
    Juries would be permanently deadlocked, and mistrials ahoy as no one would want to see an innocent person put to death.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

HHemmelig said:

MaxPB said:

Juries would be permanently deadlocked, and mistrials ahoys as no one would want to see an innocent person put to death.
    The risk of killing innocent people is a big practical objection; so are the endless appeals; to my mind, the biggest is that the process of choosing which murderers are to be executed is very arbitrary.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

HHemmelig said:

MaxPB said:

Juries would be permanently deadlocked, and mistrials ahoys as no one would want to see an innocent person put to death.
    True, though I'd have the two murderers in that case lined up and shot. They serve absolutely no purpose other than act as a drain on resources.
  • Options
    Corbynistan....

We Witnessed The Riots & Chaos During Venezuela's Elections

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxpWeUrO9k8
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

nielh said:

MaxPB said:

But she had been sentenced to life. Warboys wasn’t. The LC can’t simply impose a sentence the court didn’t.
    An indeterminate sentence is a life sentence by another name, with the crucial difference that it didn't provide the same level of certainty or the same options of restraint.

The Lord Chancellor is the head of the judiciary, for all those functions are mostly delegated tot the Lord Chief Justice. As all sentences derive ultimately from the Crown, they do have the power to vary them. The fact this is not normally used is a different matter.

See here for the problems these IPPs caused:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/aug/14/liz-truss-get-grip-backlog-prisoners-held-beyond-interdeminate-sentence-ipp

And on that, good night.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    In before the 8-point Tory lead is announced.
  • Options
    YouGov trolling us all. After all that and only MOE movements.
  • Options
    So all this stuff about anti-Semitism hasn't harmed Labour.
  • Options
    Go call that election while you're high in the polls, Theresa!
  • Options

Not a huge surprise. Corbyn is teflon.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

It’s firmed up the Con lead though.

What an absolute boy.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

What an absolute boy.
    You sound like a Cybernat getting all excited about a 1% movement.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

HHemmelig said:

MaxPB said:

The risk of killing innocent people is a big practical objection; so are the endless appeals; to my mind, the biggest is that the process of choosing which murderers are to be executed is very arbitrary.
    Indeed this is eloquently expressed as to why the death penalty will never be reinstated and that there are so few jurisdictions worldwide that have reinstated it. Those of us who are morally opposed are irrelevant - the practical and fairness concerns of those who have no such moral objections are behind its irreversible global decline.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Might need another review by Chakrabarti.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

What an absolute boy.
    So the lead is between 1 - 7% with MOE
  • Options

twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/979100827095916551

No problem with antisemitism in the Labour Party....they did an investigation and everything.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

The Teflon is being chipped away. Straight after last year's election, Yougov had Labour 8% ahead.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

What an absolute boy.
    That's not how MOE works.

It means 1 in 20 polls will be an outlier.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,302
    Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

The Teflon is being chipped away. Straight after last year's election, Yougov had Labour 8% ahead.
    Hubris.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Even the best non-stick pans eventually become tarnished and sticky
  • Options
    Shame on those 39%.

Although I suspect they will be down to 35% by the time of the May locals.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Alway knew YouGov was the true Gold Standard :)
  • Options
    For context, this time last year YouGov had the Tories with an 18% lead.
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    The Easter break has arrived just in time for Labour.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

HHemmelig said:

MaxPB said:

Indeed this is eloquently expressed as to why the death penalty will never be reinstated and that there are so few jurisdictions worldwide that have reinstated it. Those of us who are morally opposed are irrelevant - the practical and fairness concerns of those who have no such moral objections are behind its irreversible global decline.
    What would bring back the death penalty (if only temporarily) is major war and its aftermath. No one is going to object to the execution of traitors, or people who run concentration camps.
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    That's like the company ombudsman being a sexual harasser. When even the umpires on these matters want to look the other way to obvious anti-Semitism you know the party is in a bad state.

I'm starting to think the old conscientious Labour Party will never return.
  • Options

Shame on those 39%.

Didn't you also "suspect" that Corbyn hadn't a hope in hell of outdoing Ed Miliband? :D
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    edited March 2018
    Good poll for Con.

YouGov had a Lab lead of 2% in early March so last YouGov poll showed a substantial move. Holding on to that and increasing the lead any further is solid progress.

Plus remember it usually takes a while for news to filter through into poll changes - Corbyn's anti-Semitism problems only hit main news headlines on Monday.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,491
    Sean_F said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Mr. Eagles, isn't that because French inheritance couldn't pass through a female line? That's why they denied the legitimacy of Edward III's claim to the French throne. [Well, the official reason, anyway].

Not sure why the Duke of Lancaster title should be likewise, though.

I thought it was the other way around - they invented that rule to both (1) deny Edward III as the only grandson of Philip IV the throne and (2) to exclude Philip's other ostensible grandchild, the Queen of Navarre, about whose legitimacy there were very real doubts after her mother was caught in flagrante delicto with one of her husband's servants.
    A little unfair to say that they invented it for the occasion; rather they adopted what was an ancient tradition for their convenience in excluding the English from the succession (and more or less stuck with it):
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salic_law
    Yet, Salic law did not prevent Elanor of Acquitaine or Mahaut of Burgundy (grandmother of the Queen of Navarre) becoming Peers of France in their own right. I'm inclined to think that it was an invented tradition.
    Not at all; the tradition was quite genuine.
    But like EU law, enforced in France when it's convenient.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

What an absolute boy.
    That's not how MOE works.

It means 1 in 20 polls will be an outlier.
    Not sure I understand that
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,017

I think they've made the deadly Corbyn killer silver bullet out of blancmange.

Again.
  • Options

The Easter break has arrived just in time for Labour.

Yep.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Anazina said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

HHemmelig said:

MaxPB said:

What would bring back the death penalty (if only temporarily) is major war and its aftermath. No one is going to object to the execution of traitors, or people who run concentration camps.
    Yes, you are quite possibly right on that point.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Anazina said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

HHemmelig said:

MaxPB said:

I think killing in battle, terrorism or hostage rescue is readily accepted as a necessity.

I think making the legal case for execution as a natural part of the justice system, well post the event, is far harder.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Elliot said:

That's like the company ombudsman being a sexual harasser. When even the umpires on these matters want to look the other way to obvious anti-Semitism you know the party is in a bad state.

I'm starting to think the old conscientious Labour Party will never return.
    Nope - that ship has sailed

Its just a question of do they get to inflict major damage before they disintegrate
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    MikeL said:

Good poll for Con.

YouGov had a Lab lead of 2% in early March so last YouGov poll showed a substantial move. Holding on to that and increasing the lead any further is solid progress.

Plus remember it usually takes a while for news to filter through into poll changes - Corbyn's anti-Semitism problems only hit main news headlines on Monday.

LOL, the anti-Semitism thing is not going to move any votes.

The poll boost is entirely because of Salisbury, I reckon - that kind of thing virtually always gives the government a lift, even John Major and Gordon Brown got temporary poll boosts when that sort of thing happened. It gives any PM a chance to look statesman/stateswoman-like, and "above party politics".
  • Options

Shame on those 39%.

He’s not the messiah. He’s a very anti-Semitic boy.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Shame on those 39%.

Didn't you also "suspect" that Corbyn hadn't a hope in hell of outdoing Ed Miliband? :D
    I will be happy to wager that Corbyn and his anti-Semitic party are now on the slide. When Lefties are gloating that nothing can harm them - not even rank vileness that other parties have booted out - they are flying way too close to the sun....
This discussion has been closed.