Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A year to go till Brexit and the latest YouGov tracker has Bri

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,990
    Floater said:

Of course Christine Shawcroft should resign. What is more, Labour people should be encouraging her to go.

Why?

She's incompetent, and should be nowhere near any position of authority.

Let's take a look at her own words: "I sent this email before being aware of the full information about this case and I had not been shown the image of his abhorrent Facebook post. Had I seen this image, I would not have requested that the decision to suspend him be re-considered. I am deeply sorry for having done so."

So she was in a position to investigate an alleged offence, yet she sided strongly one way and tried to influence matters without even reading the evidence.

Another interpretation is that she wasn't bothered by such claims so no point actually investigating.
    Indeed. I was giving her the benefit of the doubt on that. My point is that even with the best interpretation of events, she's been utterly incompetent. There must be many people far more competent within the Labour movement who would be better fill her roles.

If you choose not to take the best interpretation of events, then there is even more reason for her to resign.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    edited March 2018

Of course Christine Shawcroft should resign. What is more, Labour people should be encouraging her to go.

Why?

Let's take a look at her own words: "I sent this email before being aware of the full information about this case and I had not been shown the image of his abhorrent Facebook post. Had I seen this image, I would not have requested that the decision to suspend him be re-considered. I am deeply sorry for having done so."

So she was in a position to investigate an alleged offence, yet she sided strongly one way and tried to influence matters without even reading the evidence.

Can't see what is wrong with what she said in her own words there.

Not having the full case does not equal being incompetent. Now if she deliberately avoided having the full case because she is incompetent that might be a different matter....

Trial by media has already come to a decision though.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,062
    JackW said:

Sean_F said:

Anazina said:

That Labour voter split though, no wonder Sir Keir made his intervention last night after Lady Nugee’s prediction.

No need to call her by her husband's name – somewhat old fashioned and patronising and certainly not like you!
    Aristocrats should be proud to use their titles.
    What, all of them at once !!!

Michael Ancram would have no time for anything else :

Marquess of Lothian is a title in the Peerage of Scotland. It was created in 1701 for Robert Kerr, 4th Earl of Lothian. The Marquess of Lothian holds the subsidiary titles of Earl of Lothian (created 1606), Earl of Lothian (created again 1631), Earl of Ancram (1633), Earl of Ancram (created again 1701), Viscount of Briene (1701), Lord Newbattle (1591), Lord Jedburgh (1622), Lord Kerr of Newbattle (1631), Lord Kerr of Nisbet, Langnewtoun, and Dolphinstoun (1633), Lord Kerr of Newbattle, Oxnam, Jedburgh, Dolphinstoun and Nisbet (1701), and Baron Ker, of Kersheugh in the County of Roxburgh (1821) and Baron Kerr of Monteviot (2010) all but the last two in the Peerage of Scotland. The holder of the title is also the Chief of Clan Kerr.

:smiley:
    Is Chief of Clan Kerr rhyming slang?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

We all know Scottish nobility are overcompensating

Scottish peers do it so much better .. :sunglasses:

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,401
    edited March 2018
    @peston: So the way to combat anti-semitism is to smear British muslims in the most disgusting way, and accuse Labour of the most hideous calculating racism? This is appalling beyond words

https://twitter.com/leaveeuofficial/status/979331640987176960?s=21
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    JackW said:

We all know Scottish nobility are overcompensating

Scottish peers do it so much better .. :sunglasses:

I always like such titles as The Dunlop, or Moncrieff of that Ilk.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

Why?

Not having the full case does not equal being incompetent. Now if she deliberately avoided having the full case because she is incompetent that might be a different matter....

Wasnt her excuse that the candidate had done a lot of work and might be successful? If the issue was something other than anti-semitism do you think the benefit of the doubt would be there?
  • Options

Is Chief of Clan Kerr rhyming slang?

Kerr-ching ....

• Options

AndyJS said:
    Well this is a great start... only a few paragraphs in and....

This was barely a month after Corbyn issued a Facebook post for Holocaust Memorial Day that included no mention of Jews or anti-Semitism. Following an outcry, Corbyn made public another message, this one mentioning “our Jewish brothers and sisters.”

Except in the words of Stephen Pollard (who hates Jeremy Corbyn)

https://twitter.com/stephenpollard/status/956915608876175361?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/national/article/Apology-offered-to-Corbyn-amid-controversy-over-Holocaust-comments-06efdcf9-c71c-4e24-9b2d-8ecba01c5873-ds

I wonder why Jewish people think Labour are racist against them... I wonder if I added a couple of real incidents and made up a bunch of stuff or spun several things carefully and had the media repeat them endlessly if I could convince other groups that parties were racist against them?

But don't claim the issue has been weaponised because apparently, that is also anti-semitic....
    They might think Labour has a problem with antisemitism because a load of Labour people admit it has? Including - eventually - your leader:

“I recognise that antisemitism has surfaced within the Labour party, and has too often been dismissed as simply a matter of a few bad apples.”

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/978313237132468224

Yes but some people seem to miss the idea that there is something between, doesn't exist at all in any form and endemic throughout the party because of the leadership. Not that it is impossible not to but usually propaganda takes the form of partial truths or based on truths. Take the article I was responding too, they'll mix in real incidents with a spun version of incidents to complete falsehoods they presumably haven't checked out.

That is how you weaponise an issue, the fact it exists doesn't stop that process, just gives part of the story created a factual basis. It can often be how any decent propaganda works, the ones based on complete lies fall down straight away.

• Options
    Eeesh that ComRes poll had 2016 vote recall with Leave 12% ahead.

https://twitter.com/keiranpedley/status/979273018013777927?s=21
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    JackW said:

Sean_F said:

Anazina said:

That Labour voter split though, no wonder Sir Keir made his intervention last night after Lady Nugee’s prediction.

No need to call her by her husband's name – somewhat old fashioned and patronising and certainly not like you!
    Aristocrats should be proud to use their titles.
    What, all of them at once !!!

Michael Ancram would have no time for anything else :

Marquess of Lothian is a title in the Peerage of Scotland. It was created in 1701 for Robert Kerr, 4th Earl of Lothian. The Marquess of Lothian holds the subsidiary titles of Earl of Lothian (created 1606), Earl of Lothian (created again 1631), Earl of Ancram (1633), Earl of Ancram (created again 1701), Viscount of Briene (1701), Lord Newbattle (1591), Lord Jedburgh (1622), Lord Kerr of Newbattle (1631), Lord Kerr of Nisbet, Langnewtoun, and Dolphinstoun (1633), Lord Kerr of Newbattle, Oxnam, Jedburgh, Dolphinstoun and Nisbet (1701), and Baron Ker, of Kersheugh in the County of Roxburgh (1821) and Baron Kerr of Monteviot (2010) all but the last two in the Peerage of Scotland. The holder of the title is also the Chief of Clan Kerr.

:smiley:
    Misses a trick, he should have held out for Lord Kerr of Kerr, so he could be Of That Ilk.
  • Options

AndyJS said:
    Well this is a great start... only a few paragraphs in and....

This was barely a month after Corbyn issued a Facebook post for Holocaust Memorial Day that included no mention of Jews or anti-Semitism. Following an outcry, Corbyn made public another message, this one mentioning “our Jewish brothers and sisters.”

Except in the words of Stephen Pollard (who hates Jeremy Corbyn)

https://twitter.com/stephenpollard/status/956915608876175361?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/national/article/Apology-offered-to-Corbyn-amid-controversy-over-Holocaust-comments-06efdcf9-c71c-4e24-9b2d-8ecba01c5873-ds

I wonder why Jewish people think Labour are racist against them... I wonder if I added a couple of real incidents and made up a bunch of stuff or spun several things carefully and had the media repeat them endlessly if I could convince other groups that parties were racist against them?

But don't claim the issue has been weaponised because apparently, that is also anti-semitic....
    They might think Labour has a problem with antisemitism because a load of Labour people admit it has? Including - eventually - your leader:

“I recognise that antisemitism has surfaced within the Labour party, and has too often been dismissed as simply a matter of a few bad apples.”

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/978313237132468224

Yes but some people seem to miss the idea that there is something between, doesn't exist at all in any form and endemic throughout the party because of the leadership. Not that it is impossible not to but usually propaganda takes the form of partial truths or based on truths. Take the article I was responding too, they'll mix in real incidents with a spun version of incidents to complete falsehoods they presumably haven't checked out.

That is how you weaponise an issue, the fact it exists doesn't stop that process, just gives part of the story created a factual basis. It can often be how any decent propaganda works, the ones based on complete lies fall down straight away.

I don't remember seeing you and 619 in the same room ever.
  • Options

Why?

The image is hardly 'the full case': it was *central* to the case. There is no way she should have been sending such emails before even seeing the evidence.

To compound matters, she intervened strongly on one side, and invented a conspiracy theory to absolve the person!

As I said, utter incompetence at best. There must be far more capable people who could be on the NEC.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sir Iain Moncrieff of that Ilk was quite a character .. :smile:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iain_Moncreiffe
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    notme said:

Why?

Wasnt her excuse that the candidate had done a lot of work and might be successful? If the issue was something other than anti-semitism do you think the benefit of the doubt would be there?

I think Shawcross is known to be very partisan towards far left/Momentum supporters and has some history of being forceful at getting her way - this time wrongly.
  • Options

You may want to read the following:
    https://www.ehow.com/how_2049858_make-tinfoil-hat.html
  • Options
    notme said:

Why?

In the absence of any proof stating so should we just assume so because she is left wing?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Wish people would not conflate religion with race... (for those wondering, Judaism, orthodox anyway, is via the female line, you cannot convert, hence Judaism (also Sikhism) being both a religion and an ethnic group). Islam is not a race. Muslims are not a race. They're a religion and believers, respectively.

https://twitter.com/thomasknox/status/979338949935104000

Mr. T's tweet does remind me a little of Trevor Philips' programme some time ago, polling a large number of British Muslims anonymously and finding concerning levels of support for homophobia etc.

However, whilst these are genuine concerns, and we shouldn't hide them or pretend they don't exist (to be culturally sensitive), it's important to assess them in an objective, austere manner. Otherwise it easily descends into a slanging match (and it's a lot easier to point and shout 'racist!' [wrongly] than it is to refute statistical evidence).
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Ha!

The Interweb can track anyone that clicks on that link...

I am not falling for it
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

Are you accusing the pollster of funny business?

I thought as time went by, fewer people would admit to voting leave. Just saying...
  • Options

@peston: So the way to combat anti-semitism is to smear British muslims in the most disgusting way, and accuse Labour of the most hideous calculating racism? This is appalling beyond words

It isn't a smear to say that someone votes Labour, is it? And, yes, if the debate is about Labour being antisemitic, the fact of their being guilty of the most hideous calculating racism is surely germane? Peston was useless as an economic commentator, but he plumbs new depths when he tries to do politics.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, could be false retention rate, though. With so many people believing we should respect the vote, false recall is possible (or it could be a wonky sample but, as you suggest, if it is then that could skew the other findings).
  • Options

Sorry, are you claiming propaganda doesn't exist?

Whilst I make my tinfoil hat can I show you this excellent bridge I have for sale?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2018

notme said:

Why?

In the absence of any proof stating so should we just assume so because she is left wing?
    If you prefer we can give her the benefit of the doubt and assume that she didn't bother to look at the evidence because she's a halfwit, not because she's a nasty piece of work who is so partisan that she didn't want to act against a fellow hard-left extremist.

Is that better?
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Floater said:

AndyJS said:

"Thousands of Jeremy Corbyn supporters endorse letter saying Jewish-organised antisemitism protest was the work of 'very powerful special interest group'"

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-labour-antisemitism-protest-powerful-special-interest-group-jewish-a8278761.html

What group could they possibly mean?
    . https://www.thecanary.co/uk/analysis/2018/03/28/reminder-israel-put-up-a-1000000-bounty-for-labour-insiders-to-undermine-corbyn/ Maybe they were reading this.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Sean_F said:

That omits the best bit about him, which was his habit of attacking other peoples' Porsches with a lump hammer because they had no right to put that coat of arms on the bonnet.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,893

Who’s in charge of Leave.EU these days? Someone needs to tell them that this sort of intervention isn’t helpful. Let Labour dig their own hole.
  • Options

Why?

The image is hardly 'the full case': it was *central* to the case. There is no way she should have been sending such emails before even seeing the evidence.

To compound matters, she intervened strongly on one side, and invented a conspiracy theory to absolve the person!

As I said, utter incompetence at best. There must be far more capable people who could be on the NEC.
    I don't think suggesting somebody in Labour might have 'political enemies' is really a conspiracy theory...

Quite frankly I imagine a fair few of them have political enemies!

Considering Eddie Izzard was next in line then no there certainly isn't. Although the media would certainly prefer him on there.
  • Options

Whilst I make my tinfoil hat can I show you this excellent bridge I have for sale?
    Oooh, I like bridges! (Except for the Garden Bridge, of course). Is it a nice one - is it arched? Suspension? Cable-stayed? Truss? ;)

No, I am not claiming propaganda does not exist. Just that you might be using it is an excuse to hide facts you find uncomfortable.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,977

I am astounded that people should conflate turkeys doing whatever at Christmas with Jewish and Muslim voters.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,062
    Ishmael_Z said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

That omits the best bit about him, which was his habit of attacking other peoples' Porsches with a lump hammer because they had no right to put that coat of arms on the bonnet.
    (in)Breeding will out.
  • Options
    King Cole, still not as good as the 'good Jewish boy' on The Apprentice being assigned to buy a kosher chicken and getting a halal one.
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41241353

Among this group they were two to four times higher than among the general population.

The researchers said the prevalence was considerably higher among right-wingers than on the left.

No real surprise there to anyone who pays attention. Now please tell me again how it is all the Labour party and any suggestion the media have made an effort to paint Labour that way is a conspiracy theory...

Which also agrees with the other survey I've linked to a few times on here which showed more anti-semitic attitudes on the right than the left.

One thing you will get more with the left though is criticism of Israel.

I'll let you make your own conclusion there before I get accused of 'anti-semitic conspiracy theories'...
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I thought as time went by, fewer people would admit to voting leave. Just saying...
    Nope. Keiran’s a respected pollster as is Pat Sturgis.

To jump from a 4% Leave lead to a 12% Leave lead in recall should have led to additional weighting adjustments.

False recall is usually a few points, which the pollsters normally adjust for.

For example YouGov used to have the occasional panel that elected a Tory govt in 2005 and a Labour govt in 2010.

They adjusted for it.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

Anazina said:

Scott_P said:
    Monty seems to be turning towards an EEA/EFTA style solution. Very wise.
    The customs union is not EFTA/EEA. Try again.
    What would be the point of regulatory divergence without the ability to sign trade deals?
    The domestic market.

Quite right.

Businesses in the Uk who have no export business to other EU countries still have to follow the EU regulations for products sold in the UK.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057
    Sandpit said:

Who’s in charge of Leave.EU these days? Someone needs to tell them that this sort of intervention isn’t helpful. Let Labour dig their own hole.
    This is the kind of thing they’ve been doing from the beginning.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,931

slade said:

It appears there are no principal local authority by-elections today. The only contests I can see are for two seats on Conway community council.

There’s one in Huyton.

https://www.knowsley.gov.uk/knowsleycouncil/media/Documents/notice-of-election-page-moss-mar-2018.pdf
    Yes of course - Labour hold!
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

Anazina said:

Scott_P said:
    What would be the point of regulatory divergence without the ability to sign trade deals?
    The domestic market.

Quite right.

Businesses in the Uk who have no export business to other EU countries still have to follow the EU regulations for products sold in the UK.
    Do you think UK consumers object to this?
  • Options

Oooh, I like bridges! (Except for the Garden Bridge, of course). Is it a nice one - is it arched? Suspension? Cable-stayed? Truss? ;)

No, I am not claiming propaganda does not exist. Just that you might be using it is an excuse to hide facts you find uncomfortable.
    Its a couple of planks over a river bank... budgets are a bit tighter in the valleys, still rustic value an all...... ;)

Almost every other issue has been pressed by the media regarding Corbyn, I'm sure most people would agree beyond reasonable levels. I am not sure exactly why the media would very much use propaganda against Corbyn in almost every other issue but only report this one issue straight down the line with absolutely no spin just facts.

• Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315

King Cole, still not as good as the 'good Jewish boy' on The Apprentice being assigned to buy a kosher chicken and getting a halal one.

Yes an amusing scene - Lord Sugar did suggest the poor bloke take his trousers down so they could confirm if he was actually Jewish.

https://youtu.be/1G256H_Q0bI
  • Options
    Yulia Skripal is “improving rapidly and is no longer in a critical condition.
    Her condition is now stable”, Salisbury NHS Trust has said.

However, her father, the former double agent Sergei Skripal, remains in a critical but stable condition.

Dr Christine Blanshard, medical director for Salisbury district hospital, said: “I’m pleased to be able to report an improvement in the condition of Yulia Skripal.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/mar/29/yulia-skripal-no-longer-in-critical-condition-says-salisbury-nhs?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

tlg86 said:

Nope. Keiran’s a respected pollster as is Pat Sturgis.

To jump from a 4% Leave lead to a 12% Leave lead in recall should have led to additional weighting adjustments.

False recall is usually a few points, which the pollsters normally adjust for.

For example YouGov used to have the occasional panel that elected a Tory govt in 2005 and a Labour govt in 2010.

They adjusted for it.
    It would be interesting to see a time series for the recall data. Does seem a bit of a surprise to see more people remembering voting leave - especially when you consider the age profile of leave voters.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Indeed; there are some silly people about!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Unhelpful - but Perhaps too close to the truth.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Yes, but they used to be Farage’s mob and he’d be around to defend their just-about-not-racist tweets. All they’ve done with that comment is drawn attention away from Labour’s myriad just-about-not-antisemitic posts.
  • Options
    Mr. 16, but if he were Muslim he'd look just the same! :p

Mr. Eagles, don't forget that sometimes you just end up with a wonky sample. Even proper psych surveys/questionnaires aim for a p value of 0.95 plus (meaning that up to 1:20 of the results will just be wrong due to statistical variance or getting an odd case).
  • Options
    Liverpool FC have a 78% pay gap.

Which is only 35% when you exclude the first team squad.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-news-transfers-live-roma-14468071
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Long read - Matthew Goodwin explains the state of play on Brexit for our Canadian friends:

https://www.opencanada.org/features/one-year-go-britain-changing-its-mind/

Perhaps explaining why Britain wants to be more like Canada 2018 rather than Canada from 1868 onwards until the mid 20th century. A truly independent nation setting its own laws, immigration and trade policies rather than a dominion perhaps?
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Among this group they were two to four times higher than among the general population.

The researchers said the prevalence was considerably higher among right-wingers than on the left.

No real surprise there to anyone who pays attention. Now please tell me again how it is all the Labour party and any suggestion the media have made an effort to paint Labour that way is a conspiracy theory...

Which also agrees with the other survey I've linked to a few times on here which showed more anti-semitic attitudes on the right than the left.

I'll let you make your own conclusion there before I get accused of 'anti-semitic conspiracy theories'...

Whataboutery in its purest form. Yes, racism and antisemitism exist on the political right and yes it is disgusting that they do. Google "Aidan Burley" to confirm this; in doing so, you will note that Mr Burley used to be a Tory MP. He is no longer a Tory MP. If he were Labour he'd be on the shadow front bench.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
  • Options

Mr. 16, but if he were Muslim he'd look just the same! :p

Mr. Eagles, don't forget that sometimes you just end up with a wonky sample. Even proper psych surveys/questionnaires aim for a p value of 0.95 plus (meaning that up to 1:20 of the results will just be wrong due to statistical variance or getting an odd case).

Two standard deviations eh.

I wonder what a non standard deviation looks like.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Yes, but they used to be Farage’s mob and he’d be around to defend their just-about-not-racist tweets. All they’ve done with that comment is drawn attention away from Labour’s myriad just-about-not-antisemitic posts.
    They are still Farage’s people.

Probably taking their cue Farage.

Nigel Farage: 'Jewish lobby' has disproportionate power in the US

'Farage’s clumsy use of the terms Israel and Jewish lobby interchangeably and his reference to their ‘power’ has crossed the line into well-known antisemitic tropes,' says Board of Deputies

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/us-jewish-lobby-nigel-farage-power-anti-semitism-ukip-leader-a8031191.html?amp
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

However, her father, the former double agent Sergei Skripal, remains in a critical but stable condition.

Dr Christine Blanshard, medical director for Salisbury district hospital, said: “I’m pleased to be able to report an improvement in the condition of Yulia Skripal.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/mar/29/yulia-skripal-no-longer-in-critical-condition-says-salisbury-nhs?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Wonderful news.

I wonder what that "expert" a few weeks ago, saying a recovery from Novichok poisoning was impossible, was all about?
  • Options
    Mr. Evershed, like Corbyn getting elected. Or Verstappen winning the 2016 Spanish Grand Prix.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

Anazina said:

Scott_P said:
    The domestic market.

Quite right.

Do you think UK consumers object to this?
    If it means they are unable to buy crooked bananas or a pint of milk.

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited March 2018
    Ishmael_Z said:

Whataboutery in its purest form. Yes, racism and antisemitism exist on the political right and yes it is disgusting that they do. Google "Aidan Burley" to confirm this; in doing so, you will note that Mr Burley used to be a Tory MP. He is no longer a Tory MP. If he were Labour he'd be on the shadow front bench.
    How about the fact that the Conservatives ran an official campaign which was expliclitly Islamophobic just two years ago? One for which there's not, to date, even been a mealy-mouthed Corbyn-style apology, let alone any sackings.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

They are still Farage’s people.

Probably taking their cue Farage.

Nigel Farage: 'Jewish lobby' has disproportionate power in the US

'Farage’s clumsy use of the terms Israel and Jewish lobby interchangeably and his reference to their ‘power’ has crossed the line into well-known antisemitic tropes,' says Board of Deputies

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/us-jewish-lobby-nigel-farage-power-anti-semitism-ukip-leader-a8031191.html?amp
    As someone alluded to earlier today, the far left and the far right end up with opinions much closer to each other than might be assumed. The horse shoe is a good analogy.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Wonderful news.

I wonder what that "expert" a few weeks ago, saying a recovery from Novichok poisoning was impossible, was all about?
    Proves it wasn't Novichok - and so not Russia. Quad erat demonstrandum.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

That’s great news, hopefully she’ll be able to give the investigators a better understanding of what happened.

I don’t understand the ‘front door’ explaination given yesterday, that’s not how a sophisticated assassin would poison someone.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Danny565 said:

Wonderful news.

I think the difference was between a full recovery where there was no loss of function and a recovery that left nerve damage and other associated ill health.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I see in my absence Leave.EU have been making my point for me.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,208
    It's not a cult, honest, it really isn't:

https://twitter.com/LOS_Fisher/status/979333532739952640
  • Options

Mr. Evershed, like Corbyn getting elected. Or Verstappen winning the 2016 Spanish Grand Prix.

Corbyn more a black swan event.
  • Options
    Did you know that Vote Leave were campaigning on the issue of whale meat using dubious claims? This is an example of an ad that was hidden from their main Facebook feed but sent to a targeted audience using Aggregate IQ. Very pernicious and as we now know, facilitated by overspending.

https://www.facebook.com/voteleave/posts/590819067761688
  • Options

And some of us Leave supporters have been making the point that we don’t wish to be associated with such comments.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Sandpit said:

And some of us Leave supporters have been making the point that we don’t wish to be associated with such comments.
    Yet you were willing to swim in the same waters as them at the time it actually mattered.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    2014 local elections:

"The BBC's projected national vote share (PNV) put Labour on 31%, the Conservatives on 29%, UKIP on 17%, and the Liberal Democrats on 12%. Rallings and Thrasher of Plymouth University's national equivalent vote share (NEV) estimated 31% for Labour, 30% for the Conservatives, 18% for UKIP, and 11% for the Liberal Democrats."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_local_elections,_2014
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,328
    That’s fantastic news.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,208
    Abbott throws some extra petrol on the fire, just in case some of the flames were dying down thanks to Jezza's letter:

https://twitter.com/JewishChron/status/979369640957808646
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Yet you were willing to swim in the same waters as them at the time it actually mattered.
    I condemned Farage’s poster here on the day it was released.
  • Options
    Leave.EU are an absolute embarrassment. That poster is disgusting.

The organisation should have been wound up after the referendum but, due to the colossal size of Aaron Banks and Farage’s ego, they decided they’d far rather stick around to shit the bed.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

That’s great news, hopefully she’ll be able to give the investigators a better understanding of what happened.

I don’t understand the ‘front door’ explaination given yesterday, that’s not how a sophisticated assassin would poison someone.
    What about back door assassination such as that of Edward II ?
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Evershed,

"Proves it wasn't Novichok - and so not Russia."

I know you're joking, but recovery is possible unless there's been associated lack of oxygen to vital organs. There are antidotes to the enzyme blockade if given quickly.

Like a stroke, a full recovery is always possible, but sometimes it's only partial.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Scott_P said:
    Err, can Carole Cadwalladr not read?
  • Options
    Every single one of the Brexit good for/bad for questions has moved in the wrong direction since February, except the NHS which hasn't changed. Even the number of people thinking Brexit will mean less immigration has fallen to 50%.

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/onal3cjvfu/InternalResults_180327_BrexitQuestions_for_website.pdf
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,651

But is it actually untrue?

the transit of whale meat through EU ports is perfectly legal as long as the relevant paperwork is in order and the meat at no point actually enters the EU.

http://uk.whales.org/blog/2017/07/eu-must-shut-its-ports-to-whale-meat-0
  • Options
    https://evolvepolitics.com/ministerial-aide-gavin-williamson-russian-oligarch/ I guess there will be more light on Russian money and elections now.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

the transit of whale meat through EU ports is perfectly legal as long as the relevant paperwork is in order and the meat at no point actually enters the EU.

I think Casino was referring to the Muslims/Jews/turkeys poster.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

https://evolvepolitics.com/ministerial-aide-gavin-williamson-russian-oligarch/ I guess there will be more light on Russian money and elections now.

That URL is misleading.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

The Vote Leave claim is specifically that the EU prevents us from banning such shipments through our ports. It is wrong, as Rotterdam has just such a ban. Whale meat imports to the EU are illegal in any case.

http://www.greenport.com/news101/europe/rotterdam-bans-shipping-of-whale-meat
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Nerve gas on the back door of Berkeley Castle ?!?

It would appear the medical condition of three Salisbury victims is related to their respective use of the front door of the Skripal family home.

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Sandpit,

"we don’t wish to be associated with such comments."

I wouldn't worry about that. Mr Meeks won't believe you anyway, so why not take the chance to stir him up a bit more?
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

That URL is misleading.
    I like Berwick on Tweed.Was it a Lib dem seat a long time before 2015 ?
  • Options

The Vote Leave claim is specifically that the EU prevents us from banning such shipments through our ports. It is wrong, as Rotterdam has just such a ban. Whale meat imports to the EU are illegal in any case.

Your own link actually says the opposite, rather supporting Vote Leave's claim!

Legally speaking, there is no way of prohibiting the transit of whale meat.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Danny565 said:

Wonderful news.

I heard him and he referred to long-term recovery being very unlikely.
  • Options

I think Casino was referring to the Muslims/Jews/turkeys poster.
    Yes!
  • Options

Your own link actually says the opposite, rather supporting Vote Leave's claim!

Legally speaking, there is no way of prohibiting the transit of whale meat.
    I don't think those laws are European though, but just the way international shipping works.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836

Sandpit said:

Almost certainly, the manner of Edward II's demise was much less lurid (fortunately).
  • Options

Agree with you Alastair. - just unacceptable
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,432

Sandpit said:

It must be terribly exhausting, and not terribly effective, to be you, Alastair, never taking a position that someone you dislike also takes.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Yorkcity said:

Yorkcity said:

That URL is misleading.
    I like Berwick on Tweed.Was it a Lib dem seat a long time before 2015 ?
    1970’s.It was Beveridges seat for about 18 months in the 40’s.
This discussion has been closed.