Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The continuing strength of the SNP make it is harder for Corby

Comments

• Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    geoffw said:

I thinks he's displaying the Waffen-SS Oberfuhrer Collar Tabs (available for £12.95 from epicmilitaria.com)
    Hand me downs from Ed Balls.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135
    Sandpit said:

By the way, the biggest global story tomorrow could well be the Chinese satellite crashing to Earth.

It’s not an April Fool, it’s an 8,500kg satellite the size of a bus that’s out of control and heading to Earth. Really hope it ends up in the ocean somewhere.

It’s too far south to get the U.K. but could end up in Southern Europe, Africa, Asia or America anywhere between 43°N and 43°S, the latest prediction is it to crash tomorrow night.

http://www.aerospace.org/cords/reentry-predictions/tiangong-1-reentry/

Did that bus with £350milion just ditch the moolah as gold bars as it flew over Siberia last week only to shed its carcass now?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,116

Is anyone able to demonstrate the fundamental difference between what Shawcroft has done and what Jezza did regarding the mural?

Clearly one is a resigning matter and the other isn't, but I'm not sure why.

Jezza? Resign?*

He will only resign if he does something serious, such as, I don't know, losing a vote of confidence by a four to one...ah.

Or if he published a joke calling for the physical extermination of his political ene...oh.

Or if he promoted a woman he'd had an affair with to a senior position in the shadow cabinet which she is utterly incapable of...hmmm.

Or if he shares a platform with a neo-Nazi...umm.

Or if he supports mass murderers in their terrorist camp...no, he's not going to resign is he?

*My autocorrect changed that to 'reign' which actually works better.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799

Sandpit said:

TGOHF said:
    Glad to see sense finally prevails. There’s only usually one reason someone resigns at 7:30 on a Saturday though...

John McDonnell finally managed to sit Jeremy down and explained to him slowly, using short words, why Shawcroft had to go. Izzard is a non-Corbynista, so Jeremy is now down one on the NEC. Not that it will make much difference.

She was driven out by the zios and Tory scum who infest the Labour party.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135
    Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

TGOHF said:
    Glad to see sense finally prevails. There’s only usually one reason someone resigns at 7:30 on a Saturday though...

John McDonnell finally managed to sit Jeremy down and explained to him slowly, using short words, why Shawcroft had to go. Izzard is a non-Corbynista, so Jeremy is now down one on the NEC. Not that it will make much difference.

She was driven out by the zios and Tory scum who infest the Labour party.
    Lower than vermin.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,855
    Mortimer said:

Sandpit said:

By the way, the biggest global story tomorrow could well be the Chinese satellite crashing to Earth.

It’s not an April Fool, it’s an 8,500kg satellite the size of a bus that’s out of control and heading to Earth. Really hope it ends up in the ocean somewhere.

It’s too far south to get the U.K. but could end up in Southern Europe, Africa, Asia or America anywhere between 43°N and 43°S, the latest prediction is it to crash tomorrow night.

Burn up on reentry?
    Depends on timings, angles and components. It’s not a controlled deorbit which might ensure a complete burnup, it’s out of control so there could be large and hazardous pieces of debris that make it down.

The current estimated window is 14 hours centred on 23:30GMT tomorrow, there may only be a few minutes’ notice of it entering the atmosphere and there’s lots of plans afoot to keep planes out of its way.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

I see that Asda are now selling five different types of British vegetables at 20p.

Who knew members of the shadow cabinet might be so overpriced ....

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213
    Eddie: "I'm a cross-dresser trapped in an anti-semite's body!"
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    Sandpit said:

Isn't it a space station rather than a satellite?

(Sorry for the pedantry.)
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    Sean_F said:

TGOHF said:

I wonder what happens if Nicola Sturgeon doesn't call another independence referendum.

She might be stuck between a rock and a hard place.

She's not stupid, she knows if the Nats lose another referendum that really will settle it for a generation and then some but if she doesn't call a referendum then she'll be facing an insurrection from her own side.

I wonder if she'll call a non section 30 authorised referendum. I'd hope Mrs May would handle it better than the powers that be in Madrid.

Originally her timeline was after we know what the Brexit deal looks like but before it's too late to choose a different course. Given a standstill transition her calculus will surely be different as the logic for independence strengthens once the UK is in a "vassal state" position, and UK secession combined with EU accession can be pitched as taking back control. In those circumstances unionist pro-Europeans would be pushed towards support for independence, and Eurosceptic indy-supporters would be marginalised.
    Joining the Euro would be a tough sell to Scotland for Nicla.
    The economic backdrop is very different from 2014. Ireland seems to be doing very well with the Euro.
    Then again, we did have to bail out the Irish banking system a couple of years earlier.
    (Because our own banks were extremely exposed. It was not an act of altruism, it was simply cheaper to help the Irish out.)
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046
    JackW said:

I see that Asda are now selling five different types of British vegetables at 20p.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjE080TGEEk
  • Options
    JackW said:

Your Grace, I find that comment offensive and inappropriate.

Vegetables are harmless, useful, help the poor most and are the foundation of a good society.

The Shadow Cabinet, however...
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,968
    edited March 2018
    geoffw said:

I thinks he's displaying the Waffen-SS Oberfuhrer Collar Tabs (available for £12.95 from epicmilitaria.com)
    Tut tut, nil points for the PB CACA.

Izzard is playing Wermacht General Fellgiebel in Valkyrie, an anti Nazi and part of the plot to kill Hitler, executed after its failure. Tortured for three weeks but didn't reveal his co-conspirators, so quite heroic in fact.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited March 2018
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Overpedantry - isn't the moon* a satellite? So I'm pretty sure Tiangong 1 counts as one.

(Edit - consulting the Internet's Premier Font of All Knowledge and Much Misknowledge, the first sentence of the entry for the ISS calls it a "habitable artificial satellite".)

(* Edit 2 - and that's definitely the day I will worry about "large out-of-control satellite crashing to Earth")
  • Options
    While labour are fighting themselves TM just quietly gets on with the job

Yesterday she announced more money for the homeless while studying Finland's success (the only Country in Europe to see a fall in the homeless) and tonight she has announced the childrens bereavement fund axing child burial fees.

Little measures but shows a new caring side
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

It's a satellite by virtue of being in orbit round us, and a member of the subset of satellites which are space stations. (Sorry for the pedantry.)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

"That's no moon! That's a space station!"
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

"That's no moon! That's a space station!"
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

It's a satellite by virtue of being in orbit round us, and a member of the subset of satellites which are space stations. (Sorry for the pedantry.)
    Don't be sorry, even with Sunil accidentally posting Alec Guinness' famous one liner twice this is far more interesting than That Which Shall Not Be Named.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Ishmael_Z said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

In space, no one can you scream.

On PB, no one is sorry for pedantry.

• Options
    Daily Mail front page alleges a labour MP of wife beating to the fury of women MP's
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Marvellous stuff, get the ungrateful little blighters down the innovative jam mines and up the global chimneys.

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/979849108889440256

My youngest just did his work experience.

Loved it and now wants a Saturday job.

Nothing wrong in having a good work ethic.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Marvellous stuff, get the ungrateful little blighters down the innovative jam mines and up the global chimneys.

My 15 year old granddaughter started a saturday job three months ago and loves it
  • Options

Daily Mail front page alleges a labour MP of wife beating to the fury of women MP's

My turn to be pedantic:

Do you mean they're furious with the Mail for printing it, or the MP for allegedly being a wife beater?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

My turn to be pedantic:

Do you mean they're furious with the Mail for printing it, or the MP for allegedly being a wife beater?
    Poor grammar by me - yes Harriet Harman et al are on the warpath apparently against their MP
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936

Floater said:

My 15 year old granddaughter started a saturday job three months ago and loves it
    The Saturday job I started at 14 led me to start a business in the same industry.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

While labour are fighting themselves TM just quietly gets on with the job

Yesterday she announced more money for the homeless while studying Finland's success (the only Country in Europe to see a fall in the homeless) and tonight she has announced the childrens bereavement fund axing child burial fees.

Little measures but shows a new caring side

Quite so. In the last couple of weeks we've had Brexit transition deal, NHS pay deal, more midwives initiative, NHS 10 year funding plan proposal, recycling plastic bottles, more money for MOD, homeless initiative and rethink on housing benefit for 18 year olds etc. Just getting on with the job while Labour are talking about Corbyn's hat and deciding whether they are racist or not. There's much more to this Government than Brexit.
  • Options
    Front page of the Observer - leading Jewish Donor ditches the labour party
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,917

Is anyone able to demonstrate the fundamental difference between what Shawcroft has done and what Jezza did regarding the mural?

Shawcroft claimed in a Facebook post that the anti-Semitism row has been concocted to get at Corbyn; in other words, it’s a conspuracy by Jews to undermine Corbyn. Although Corbyn no doubt believes the same, he hasn’t been stupid enough to say it out liud.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Floater said:

My Saturday job was very instructive about the world of work.

It was in a city-centre department store, one among several including the next door premises.

Turned out there was one enterprising worker who had 'full-time' jobs in both stores. She managed to put in enough appearances in both stores to keep everybody happy for quite a long time. Don't know how she was eventually caught out.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

The Labour official at the centre of an anti-Semitism row has resigned from the party's ruling committee.

Christine Shawcroft said her membership of the NEC had "become a distraction for the party and an excuse for endless intrusive media harassment of myself, my family and friends".

So it was in no way her fault and she is only resigning because of a media circus?

What a weaselly statement.
    The problem is that she is still a party member.

To show real action Corbyn has to cancel her party membership along with many others
    Lets see where she is in 6 months - they have previous form on this
  • Options

ydoethur said:

The Labour official at the centre of an anti-Semitism row has resigned from the party's ruling committee.

Christine Shawcroft said her membership of the NEC had "become a distraction for the party and an excuse for endless intrusive media harassment of myself, my family and friends".

So it was in no way her fault and she is only resigning because of a media circus?

To show real action Corbyn has to cancel her party membership along with many others
    Give it another 3 days, then sent to the naughty step for a few months, then quietly unsuspended.
    Yep
  • Options

Are there any stories that might potentially be hoaxes? Can't see any that look light hearted enough.

THe Guardian had a good one some years ago where it said it would convert its entire archive to twitter speak.
  • Options
    Floater said:

ydoethur said:

Give it another 3 days, then sent to the naughty step for a few months, then quietly unsuspended.
    Yep
    But she has not been thrown out of labour as far as I know and there lies the problem
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581

Shawcroft claimed in a Facebook post that the anti-Semitism row has been concocted to get at Corbyn; in other words, it’s a conspuracy by Jews to undermine Corbyn. Although Corbyn no doubt believes the same, he hasn’t been stupid enough to say it out liud.
    So she resigned over that comment rather than over her defence of the candidate who posted holocaust denial?

I can't keep up.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    ydoethur said:

Are there any stories that might potentially be hoaxes? Can't see any that look light hearted enough.

THe Guardian had a good one some years ago where it said it would convert its entire archive to twitter speak.

Yo! Left is good - right is bad.

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    ydoethur said:

My turn to be pedantic:

Depends upon the colour of the rosette the MP wears.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Ist April tomorrow but the front pages so far do not look good for labour and I doubt they are hoaxes
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

It’s in a very small subset of satellites which *were* space stations. (Sorry for the pedantry).
  • Options

That story is surreal. A Birkenhead branch claims it won't do diversity training because they think the organisation providing it has links with Israel and ISIS?!!

Janan Ganesh had it right - these people are thick as pigshit
  • Options
    Sunday Times front page has "Corbyn's Hate Factory".
  • Options

Sacrificial offering
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,832
    Evening all :)

I see the Saturday evening Conservative love-in is underway.

Apparently we are to give children "Saturday jobs" - these are presumably the same children who have just been advised to "revise seven hours per day over Easter" so presumably 7 hours revision, 7 hours work, 7 hours sleep gives them a full 3 hours for life every day.

How magnanimous these Conservatives are ?

Now, according to the Government's Chief Apologist on here, they are generously "helping the homeless" - how, by building some houses they can afford to live in or by providing adequate funding to provide the mental health care so many of them seem to need ?

How caring - makes a change from slagging off Labour I suppose.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Ishmael_Z said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

It’s in a very small subset of satellites which *were* space stations. (Sorry for the pedantry).
    I had considered that point. It is now a [derelict, abandoned and unusable] space station. In 24 hours it won't be.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Apparently we are to give children "Saturday jobs" - these are presumably the same children who have just been advised to "revise seven hours per day over Easter" so presumably 7 hours revision, 7 hours work, 7 hours sleep gives them a full 3 hours for life every day.

Now, according to the Government's Chief Apologist on here, they are generously "helping the homeless" - how, by building some houses they can afford to live in or by providing adequate funding to provide the mental health care so many of them seem to need ?

Just remind us which Tory said kids should revise 7 hours per day over Easter?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Ist April tomorrow but the front pages so far do not look good for labour and I doubt they are hoaxes
    Certainly if the Times or Mail story are hoaxes then their lawyers must already be anticipating a fortune for trying to defend an unanswerable libel action.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,635
    Sandpit said:

The space station in question is Tiangong-1, the latest (and first Chinese) in a long line of space stations including Skylab, Salyut, Mir and ISS. A more developed version featured in the finale of the 2013 film "Gravity" and depicted it crashing to Earth. You can see it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCIwXGq0zD0

(PS it's a brilliant film)

• Options
    Hi. Felt I had to comment on Another Richard's musings on cheap veg in the supermarkets.
    The reason the veg is cheap is that the supermarkets have decided to have an Easter promotion on them and have instructed their contracted suppliers to procure the veg cheap. These are loss leaders and do not reflect underlying supply and/or market value. I'm not entirely sure how the loss is shared but you can bet the supplier is taking at least part of it.
    Similarly, farm gate lamb prices are currently fairly high due to shortages of supply, yet the supermarkets are selling it spectacularly cheap for Easter. Suppliers are having to absorb losses to fulfil existing contracts.

It isn't about Brexit.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    ydoethur said:

That story is surreal. A Birkenhead branch claims it won't do diversity training because they think the organisation providing it has links with Israel and ISIS?!!

Janan Ganesh had it right - these people are thick as pigshit
    Didn’t you known the Jewish illuminati fund ISIS...
  • Options

So what do you think a teenager should do on a Saturday - work, revise or enjoy life ?

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    Woah. I've just read Adonis' twitter feed.

Glad he doesn't post here. What a Brexit bore...
  • Options

marke09 said:

Chris Mason
    ‏Verified account @ChrisMasonBBC
    20m20 minutes ago

Christine Shawcroft will be replaced on Labour's National Executive Committee by Eddie Izzard

I thought tomorrow was April 1st?
    As the armies of Marshals Konev and Zhukov - 2.5 million men, 41,600 guns and mortars, 6,250 tanks and 7,500 aircraft - prepared to close fast in a massive onslaught on Berlin from north and south, Stalin told his Western Allies that he planned to send only second-rate forces against the capital, disingenuously assuring them that the city had "lost all its strategic importance".

This particular fib from the great liar would only have been "the greatest April fool in modern history", as Beevor sensationally describes it, if the leaders of the democracies had ever been truly fooled.

https://www.standard.co.uk/showbiz/historys-great-deceiver-6319926.html
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,694
    edited March 2018
    Elliot said:

FF43 said:

Migrant worker numbers down 15-20%, leading to a 10-15% shortfall in workers overall. Less than half of those that did come are certain of coming back next year. Bear in mind you plant the crops before you know who's going to pick them. There's definitely an issue. Enjoy the British vegetables while you still can.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-43529549
    Higher low skill wages for British citizens is well worth losing a little bit of agricultural activity eith terrible pay and conditions.
    It doesn't work that way. Farmers that switched to horticulture so we can have lovely locally grown vegetables will just switch back to wheat that doesn't need the labour. People involved in processing and who aren't all immigrants will lose their jobs and we will import more of our vegetables. But, don't blame me, I didn't vote Leave.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    stodge said:

So what do you think a teenager should do on a Saturday - work, revise or enjoy life ?

I think you should remind us which Tory said kids should revise 7 hours per day over Easter?
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    stodge said:

A ludicrous balance.

Should be 7 hours work, 14 hours revision, 3 hours sleep.

Real life happens in the summer holidays.

That 14 hours should further be broken down according to the relative importance of the subject. Therefore 10 hours history and four hours revising boring and unimportant bollocks like science.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Hi. Felt I had to comment on Another Richard's musings on cheap veg in the supermarkets.
    The reason the veg is cheap is that the supermarkets have decided to have an Easter promotion on them and have instructed their contracted suppliers to procure the veg cheap. These are loss leaders and do not reflect underlying supply and/or market value. I'm not entirely sure how the loss is shared but you can bet the supplier is taking at least part of it.
    Similarly, farm gate lamb prices are currently fairly high due to shortages of supply, yet the supermarkets are selling it spectacularly cheap for Easter. Suppliers are having to absorb losses to fulfil existing contracts.

It isn't about Brexit.

Must be all those lambs rotting in the fields we've been told about ...
  • Options

stodge said:

I think you should remind us which Tory said kids should revise 7 hours per day over Easter?
    I didn't hear a single Conservative denounce it.
  • Options
    stodge said:

stodge said:

What about the married ones?
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Oh. That’s an, erm, unhelpful headline.

Or, if you’re a Corbynista, the latest manifestation of the Evil Murdoch doing the bidding of the Jews who fund him by again smearing the Dear Leader.

Anyway, work to do tomorrow as it’s not an Easter holiday everywhere! Laters.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Floater said:

It means so much to my wife and I as he has Aspergers and he has come so very far after the system utterly, utterly failed him.

Such a change in a few short years and I owe Sir Bob Russell a debt for helping my family.

Also a shout out to a Lib Dem Councillor by name of Martin Goss who helped set up the placement.

Now that man is a public servant of the first order.
  • Options
    stodge said:

stodge said:

You said, about the suggestion that kids should revise 7 hours per day over Easter, "how magnaminous these Conservatives are"? Ok, how about you explain who made that suggestion and how they represent the Conservatives?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Oh. That’s an, erm, unhelpful headline.

Or, if you’re a Corbynista, the latest manifestation of the Evil Murdoch doing the bidding of the Jews who fund him by again smearing the Dear Leader.

Anyway, work to do tomorrow as it’s not an Easter holiday everywhere! Laters.
    If this is the stuff they are willing to be involved in public facing sites, makes you wonder what they do in private.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    edited March 2018
    stodge said:

Have you looked into any of these new announcements. Labour do not have a monopoly on caring, indeed many would say even saying that at present is ironic. The homeless scheme is adopting parts of Finlands succesful campaign on the homeless and with more funding. Also only Finland of all the European Countries is not seeing a rise in the homeless.

The government is building more houses and is putting a huge effort into mental health

The Saturday jobs idea has been well received on this thread and my 15 year old grand daughter is loving hers.

The child bereavement fund has received a huge welcome this evening.

And by the way, if you are suggesting I am the governments chief apologist I have no need to apologise for the Governments excellent non Brexit related proposals and of course the plastic deposit scheme announced by Gove has 72% voter approval, together with the end of the pay cap widely welcomed.

What has labour done other than to descend into warfare

PS - the national living wage rises by 4% next monday

• Options
    stodge said:

kavod Shabbat, naturally. I'm sure Jeremy will be youtubing about this shortly.
  • Options

It isn't about Brexit.

Such promotions happen regularly - there was one before Christmas.

Prices can vary up and down and profits likewise.

Nevertheless the British vegetable harvest clearly isn't rotting in the fields as its in the supermarkets and being sold as cheap as I can remember it.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    stodge said:

3 hours is bloody luxury.
  • Options

stodge said:

It was an 'expert'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-43599684

I wonder what percentage of schoolkids will say they do that and what percentage actually do.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Is it against their human rights to earn some money if they want to?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

stodge said:

3 hours is bloody luxury.
    Have you typed that with a Yorkshire accent ?
  • Options
    Floater said:

Floater said:

It means so much to my wife and I as he has Aspergers and he has come so very far after the system utterly, utterly failed him.

Such a change in a few short years and I owe Sir Bob Russell a debt for helping my family.

Also a shout out to a Lib Dem Councillor by name of Martin Goss who helped set up the placement.

Really pleased for your family
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,635
    edited March 2018
    stodge said:

Get. Out. Of. Bed. Goshdarnit... :)
  • Options
    Let’s gets ready to rumble......
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited March 2018

stodge said:

Have you looked into any of these new announcements. Labour do not have a monopoly on caring, indeed many would say even saying that at present is ironic. The homeless scheme is adopting parts of Finlands succesful campaign on the homeless and with more funding. Also only Finland of all the European Countries is not seeing a rise in the homeless.

The government is building more houses and is putting a huge effort into mental health

The Saturday jobs idea has been well received on this thread and my 15 year old grand daughter is loving hers.

And by the way, if you are suggesting I am the governments chief apologist I have no need to apologise for the Governments excellent non Brexit related proposals and of course the plastic deposit scheme announced by Gove has 72% voter approval, together with the end of the pay cap widely welcomed.

Gove's plastic policies are popular although probably irrelevant to pollution in the Pacific but kremlinologists should note the similar campaign in the Evening Standard and that, entirely coincidentally no doubt, George Osborne is thought to be the brains behind Gove's leadership ambitions.
  • Options

stodge said:

Labour has been calling for a child bereavement fund for a while.

http://fairfuneralscampaign.org.uk/content/fund-funerals-grieving-parents-says-jeremy-corbyn

It’s good the government has finally listened. Given the sums involved it really should have done this a long time ago.
  • Options
    ' Armed French customs officers have provoked widespread anger by entering a migrant clinic at a railway station over the border in Italy. '

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-43606225
  • Options

stodge said:

It was an 'expert'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-43599684

I wonder what percentage of schoolkids will say they do that and what percentage actually do.
    Like almost everything in education there seem to be no facts behind it, just one person's prejudice masquerading as common sense.
  • Options
    The wife beating on repeated occasions alleged in the Mail sounds like something for a Police investigation rather than an internal disciplinary matter.
  • Options

The wife beating on repeated occasions alleged in the Mail sounds like something for a Police investigation rather than an internal disciplinary matter.

So was the Bex Bailey allegations about a rape and coverup.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Who the f*** has two national anthems?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    stodge said:

stodge said:

I would have if I'd seen that news.

The problem is our exams. We shouldn't have exams that require 7h of revision per day.
  • Options

Floater said:

Floater said:

Thank you - we are past the worst of it but even now it makes me angry at how we and more importantly he was treated.

• Options

Let’s gets ready to rumble......

You talking about Labour?
  • Options
    Floater said:

Floater said:

It means so much to my wife and I
    "It means so much to MY WIFE AND ME."

(Grammar Pedant mode!)
  • Options
    MTimT2MTimT2 Posts: 48
    stodge said:

Work and enjoy life. Revision is mostly a waste of time. If they want to do schoolwork, do problem-solving using covered material, not revision.

Personally, I believe, as did my schoolteacher father, that kids should not be given homework - they do a full day's work at school already. Furthermore, latest research on learning shows that revision (in the form of re-reading notes or a text book) is particularly useless.

For those interested, Make it Stick: The Science of Successful Learning by Brown, Roediger and McDaniel is very informative.
  • Options

Anyone remember comrade delta?

google it if not

• Options
    Floater said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Thank you - we are past the worst of it but even now it makes me angry at how we and more importantly he was treated

Sorry to hear that - it must have been very frustrating and upsetting but hopefully the only way is up for all of you now. All the very best

• Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    A niche gag that probably only appeals to Tories that loved Eddie Izzard as teenagers. Just me, then?
    https://twitter.com/aaronbell80/status/980200251863785474?s=21
  • Options

Floater said:

Floater said:

(Grammar Pedant mode!)
    I have checked with the oracle who knows everything (wife)

She thinks I am right - she was brought up proper like unlike me :-)
  • Options
    Saturday jobs are good for kids to do. I had one while I was at school. It was a very helpful introduction to the world of work. I’d say it’s a much mire valuable exercise than revision. Work Saturdays, enjoy Saturday nights, catch-up with college/school stuff on Sunday for two or three hours. The mind needs time off from Study, just as the body needs time off to recuperate from sustained exercise.
  • Options

Saturday jobs are good for kids to do. I had one while I was at school. It was a very helpful introduction to the world of work. I’d say it’s a much mire valuable exercise than revision. Work Saturdays, enjoy Saturday nights, catch-up with college/school stuff on Sunday for two or three hours. The mind needs time off from Study, just as the body needs time off to recuperate from sustained exercise.

Indeed.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

(Grammar Pedant mode!)

She is wrong. Leave her out of the sentence, and consider whether "It means so much to I" sounds like something you would say.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Evening all.

The media do seem to be running a remarkable number of stories inconvenient for Labour, and especially for Corbyn, at the moment. Coincidence? Coordination? If coordination, coordination by whom? Or is it simply that Corbyn's long honeymoon period is belatedly over, and he is now getting fair coverage?
  • Options
    MTimT2 said:

stodge said:

Work and enjoy life. Revision is mostly a waste of time. If they want to do schoolwork, do problem-solving using covered material, not revision.

Personally, I believe, as did my schoolteacher father, that kids should not be given homework - they do a full day's work at school already. Furthermore, latest research on learning shows that revision (in the form of re-reading notes or a text book) is particularly useless.

For those interested, Make it Stick: The Science of Successful Learning by Brown, Roediger and McDaniel is very informative.
    We had no homework until secondary school, though I gather these days it is common even for the youngest pupils. Perhaps historians of education can tell us whether homework was originally introduced for any other purpose than keeping boarders occupied in our great public schools.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

(Grammar Pedant mode!)

Your wife and you are the objects of the sentence - hope that helps :)
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Ishmael_Z said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

(Grammar Pedant mode!)

She is wrong. Leave her out of the sentence, and consider whether "It means so much to I" sounds like something you would say.
    If you put her back in again, which you should always do with your wife, it sounds OK. I think "my wife and I" can be an atomic phrase here.
  • Options
    Something completely different because I know some people here are interested in aviation, a nice article about the 10 000 production run of the Boeing 737 plane that was reached earlier this month. Pic of the original plane in 1967 with typography from that era. The 737 is now on its fourth generation of engines. Even though the plane has been on sale for 60 years, most were made after 2000.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/analysis-how-boeing-built-10000-737s-446735/
  • Options

Evening all.

The media do seem to be running a remarkable number of stories inconvenient for Labour, and especially for Corbyn, at the moment. Coincidence? Coordination? If coordination, coordination by whom? Or is it simply that Corbyn's long honeymoon period is belatedly over, and he is now getting fair coverage?

The Conservative Party has stayed quiet, which is probably significant. Whether Guido was encouraged by CCHQ is another question. I suppose it is only a question of time before someone blames the Israeli Embassy's press department. For betting purposes, we should perhaps be wary of backing any front-bencher in either party whose past views might not pass muster.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

(Grammar Pedant mode!)

If you put her back in again, which you should always do with your wife, it sounds OK. I think "my wife and I" can be an atomic phrase here.
    Your wife and you are the objects of the sentence - hope that helps :)
This discussion has been closed.