Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The continuing strength of the SNP make it is harder for Corby

13»

Comments

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Is anyone able to demonstrate the fundamental difference between what Shawcroft has done and what Jezza did regarding the mural?

Clearly one is a resigning matter and the other isn't, but I'm not sure why.

one’s expendable...
  • Options

Eddie: "I'm a cross-dresser trapped in an anti-semite's body!"
    Typo surely? The NEC’s an anti-Semitic body
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Daily Mail front page alleges a labour MP of wife beating to the fury of women MP's

My turn to be pedantic:

Do you mean they're furious with the Mail for printing it, or the MP for allegedly being a wife beater?
    Well they are not furious enough to go public
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,262
    Charles said:

Eddie: "I'm a cross-dresser trapped in an anti-semite's body!"
    Typo surely? The NEC’s an anti-Semitic body
    Hence the word "trapped"!
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

stodge said:

Evening all :)

I see the Saturday evening Conservative love-in is underway.

Apparently we are to give children "Saturday jobs" - these are presumably the same children who have just been advised to "revise seven hours per day over Easter" so presumably 7 hours revision, 7 hours work, 7 hours sleep gives them a full 3 hours for life every day.

How magnanimous these Conservatives are ?

Now, according to the Government's Chief Apologist on here, they are generously "helping the homeless" - how, by building some houses they can afford to live in or by providing adequate funding to provide the mental health care so many of them seem to need ?

How caring - makes a change from slagging off Labour I suppose.

Just remind us which Tory said kids should revise 7 hours per day over Easter?
    It was an 'expert'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-43599684

I wonder what percentage of schoolkids will say they do that and what percentage actually do.
    Like almost everything in education there seem to be no facts behind it, just one person's prejudice masquerading as common sense.
    Anyone who has to work that hard to get the grades is only setting themselves up for an unpleasant life as a fish out of water.
  • Options
    MTimT2MTimT2 Posts: 48

MTimT2 said:

stodge said:

So what do you think a teenager should do on a Saturday - work, revise or enjoy life ?

Work and enjoy life. Revision is mostly a waste of time. If they want to do schoolwork, do problem-solving using covered material, not revision.

Personally, I believe, as did my schoolteacher father, that kids should not be given homework - they do a full day's work at school already. Furthermore, latest research on learning shows that revision (in the form of re-reading notes or a text book) is particularly useless.

For those interested, Make it Stick: The Science of Successful Learning by Brown, Roediger and McDaniel is very informative.
    We had no homework until secondary school, though I gather these days it is common even for the youngest pupils. Perhaps historians of education can tell us whether homework was originally introduced for any other purpose than keeping boarders occupied in our great public schools.
    I did no revision for O Levels and about one day per subject for A levels. If you really learn the subject as you go - and that's largely on the instructor to present the materials in an engaging manner relevant to the learner - you don't need to revise the fundamentals, only polish up on the details.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    tlg86 said:

Who the f*** has two national anthems?

New Zealand I believe.
  • Options

Evening all.

The media do seem to be running a remarkable number of stories inconvenient for Labour, and especially for Corbyn, at the moment. Coincidence? Coordination? If coordination, coordination by whom? Or is it simply that Corbyn's long honeymoon period is belatedly over, and he is now getting fair coverage?

Careful, it's not many steps from co-ordination to a Momentumesque conspiracy theory about stateless oligarchs who control the media...
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,718
    maaarsh said:

stodge said:

Evening all :)

I see the Saturday evening Conservative love-in is underway.

Apparently we are to give children "Saturday jobs" - these are presumably the same children who have just been advised to "revise seven hours per day over Easter" so presumably 7 hours revision, 7 hours work, 7 hours sleep gives them a full 3 hours for life every day.

How magnanimous these Conservatives are ?

Now, according to the Government's Chief Apologist on here, they are generously "helping the homeless" - how, by building some houses they can afford to live in or by providing adequate funding to provide the mental health care so many of them seem to need ?

How caring - makes a change from slagging off Labour I suppose.

It was an 'expert'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-43599684

I wonder what percentage of schoolkids will say they do that and what percentage actually do.
    Like almost everything in education there seem to be no facts behind it, just one person's prejudice masquerading as common sense.
    Anyone who has to work that hard to get the grades is only setting themselves up for an unpleasant life as a fish out of water.
    Yes. But the money is great... :)
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Marvellous stuff, get the ungrateful little blighters down the innovative jam mines and up the global chimneys.

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/979849108889440256

My youngest just did his work experience.

Loved it and now wants a Saturday job.

Nothing wrong in having a good work ethic.
    My 15 year old granddaughter started a saturday job three months ago and loves it
    It means so much to my wife and I
    "It means so much to MY WIFE AND ME."

(Grammar Pedant mode!)
    I have checked with the oracle who knows everything (wife)

She thinks I am right - she was brought up proper like unlike me :-)
    She is wrong. Leave her out of the sentence, and consider whether "It means so much to I" sounds like something you would say.
    If you put her back in again, which you should always do with your wife, it sounds OK. I think "my wife and I" can be an atomic phrase here.
    I think Sunil is right here. I take your point about how "my wife and I" can be thought of as an atomic phrase, but that would also apply to "me and my wife".
  • Options
    Thinking about this a little more, revision should be banned, or at least frowned upon.

Most public exams are in subjects where the content is of no ongoing use whatsoever, so the only function they hold is a screening and sorting exercise for selection in to the next stage, either higher education or work.

Frankly revising is a form of cheating which allows the less gifted to steal the future of a more talented peer. A mutual non-aggression pact between all students to just have a crack based on whatever they retained from lessons would save everyone an awful lot of effort, and allow the exams to serve their function much more effectively.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

I will never, beyond the end of my days, understand the conceit that one shouldn't work too hard. You'll be talking about "quality of life" or "gap years" next. "Striving" is not something to be ashamed of, and for many people it cannot be avoided. Troubles and gladness will arrive when they will, but until then one strives for better. This is how we got out of the mud.

• Options
    maaarsh said:

Thinking about this a little more, revision should be banned, or at least frowned upon.

Most public exams are in subjects where the content is of no ongoing use whatsoever, so the only function they hold is a screening and sorting exercise for selection in to the next stage, either higher education or work.

Frankly revising is a form of cheating which allows the less gifted to steal the future of a more talented peer. A mutual non-aggression pact between all students to just have a crack based on whatever they retained from lessons would save everyone an awful lot of effort, and allow the exams to serve their function much more effectively.

Never heard anyone advocate banning revision before.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

maaarsh said:

I will never, beyond the end of my days, understand the conceit that one shouldn't work too hard. You'll be talking about "quality of life" or "gap years" next. "Striving" is not something to be ashamed of, and for many people it cannot be avoided. Troubles and gladness will arrive when they will, but until then one strives for better. This is how we got out of the mud.

You may not have noticed, but I'm not entirely serious.

That said, I have seen more than one person end up deeply unfulfilled after achieving academic selection or elevation at work beyond their ability on the back of serious hard work. It's a great tactic in a race with a defined finish line, but if it just gains access to an even faster treadmill when you were already straining at your limit, I can't say I blame the majority for not even trying to do that.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,193
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

maaarsh said:

If we were serious about removing middle class bias in the education system it would be one approach to take - or at least placing much more focus on decontextualised testing where preparation is of less use.

As it stands, currently long run life chances are heavily influenced by how much your parents nag you to revise. There's no real long-term benefit to society from kids having revised that material at all - it just results in an extra advantage for kids from 'better' backgrounds.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

AndyJS said:

maaarsh said:

If we were serious about removing middle class bias in the education system it would be one approach to take - or at least placing much more focus on decontextualised testing where preparation is of less use.

As it stands, currently long run life chances are heavily influenced by how much your parents nag you to revise. There's no real long-term benefit to society from kids having revised that material at all - it just results in an extra advantage for kids from 'better' backgrounds.
    I'm in favour of promoting middle-class values throughout society so I probably wouldn't support this idea. Interesting though to hear what others with different views are thinking about.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

maaarsh said:

AndyJS said:

maaarsh said:

I'm in favour of promoting middle-class values throughout society so I probably wouldn't support this idea. Interesting though to hear what others with different views are thinking about.
    Allowing middle class children to achieve ahead of brighter kids from poorer backgrounds doesn't promote middle class values at all. They're best spread through-out society through social mobility which a more level playing field would help to promote.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    maaarsh said:

AndyJS said:

maaarsh said:

Why not ban job interviews too as clearly they advantage middle class parents who have encouraged their children to read widely and be articulate and pursue extra curricular activities they can talk about at the interview.

In any case decontextualised testing surely just favours genetics
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

You may not have noticed, but I'm not entirely serious.

I genuinely didn't notice, apols. I had my sense of humour surgically removed in my youth... :)

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,862

Completely disagreed. If Labour win enough seats in England to win power with the support of the SNP then do you seriously suggest that the SNP will prop up the Tories instead of installing Labour?

Especially bearing in mind that the next election if it runs to term will be in 2022 and the Tories would have been in Downing Street for a dozen years. The SNP won't want to be seen to maintain that for longer.

Well it was thanks to the SNP we had 18 years of Tory rule/Thatcherism.

You could also argue that the SNP helped the Tories win a majority in 2015, instead of the Tories being the largest party in the Parliament.

There was also a de facto SNP/Tory alliance at Holyrood between 2007-11.
    utter lying bollox
This discussion has been closed.