Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What LAB needs is a Burnley fan running the leader’s PR

Comments

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    SeanT said:

Elliot said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

Elliot said:

SeanT said:

How about blaming the Home Secretary that changed stop and search?

Whatever happened to her?

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2018/01/theresa-mays-stop-and-search-shake-up-is-costing-lives/
    And the community leaders who shout the loudest of Racism.
    Can anyone remind me of which PM did not overrule her?
    It's a failure by the entire Establishment, left and right, importing criminal migrant communities, failing to police them properly, feebly giving in to accusations of racism. Etc.

Well done everyone. London is now more dangerous than New York. We are ruled by a special class of inept c*nts.
    I was under the impression most knife and gun crime in London came from within the British black community, not immigrants.

The West is self harming.
    I don't know if there is opinion polling on this, but it's an issue that is limited to big cities - mostly London. I work in London, but I have absolutely no desire to live there.
    Northern cities are pretty bad, too. But London has seen a particular surge in violence.

Thanks to Freedom of Movement, a lot of Somalis came from hostile Holland, heading over to the UK and London, which they found more "accommodating of Islam".
    You will be pleased to know Somali asylum claims is down to a few hundred each year:

https://www.economist.com/news/britain/21583710-somalis-fare-much-worse-other-immigrants-what-holds-them-back-road-long

(Though I must admit I was surprised that there are about 100k Somalis in the UK - more than Indian Muslims apparently.)
    As I say, many came from Holland and elsewhere in the EU, under Free Movement, and there was nowt we could do

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/netherlands/1479533/Frustrated-Somalis-flee-Holland-for-the-freedom-of-Britain.html

A calamity. Reason for Brexit number 5718
    It's one of the reasons I voted leave. As soon as these Syrians and other "refugees" get citizenship on Germany they will head to the UK for a life of easy benefits a d under the table cash work/crime. It's already happened with the Somalis from the Netherlands.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,287
    edited April 2018
    Times front page headline says Labour has lost 17,000 members "amid antisemitism anger"

Can't read detail.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    MikeL said:

Times front page headline says Labour has lost 17,000 members "amid antisemitism anger"

Can't read detail.

Not a problem though, nothing to see, move on
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387

From Guido's expose:

' “We used the data that 3.2 million people consented to give away after signing up for the Guardian app,” Kale explains, “and we targeted our propaganda to the three key Remain indicators: people who liked Bob Geldof, soy milk and the CBI on Facebook”. '

https://order-order.com/2018/04/01/remain-campaign-whistleblower-reveals-they-cheated-and-still-lost/#disqus_thread

It's satire, isn't it??????
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Elliot said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

Elliot said:

SeanT said:

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2018/01/theresa-mays-stop-and-search-shake-up-is-costing-lives/
    It's a failure by the entire Establishment, left and right, importing criminal migrant communities, failing to police them properly, feebly giving in to accusations of racism. Etc.

Well done everyone. London is now more dangerous than New York. We are ruled by a special class of inept c*nts.
    I was under the impression most knife and gun crime in London came from within the British black community, not immigrants.

I don't know if there is opinion polling on this, but it's an issue that is limited to big cities - mostly London. I work in London, but I have absolutely no desire to live there.
    Northern cities are pretty bad, too. But London has seen a particular surge in violence.

Thanks to Freedom of Movement, a lot of Somalis came from hostile Holland, heading over to the UK and London, which they found more "accommodating of Islam".
    You will be pleased to know Somali asylum claims is down to a few hundred each year:

https://www.economist.com/news/britain/21583710-somalis-fare-much-worse-other-immigrants-what-holds-them-back-road-long

(Though I must admit I was surprised that there are about 100k Somalis in the UK - more than Indian Muslims apparently.)
    As I say, many came from Holland and elsewhere in the EU, under Free Movement, and there was nowt we could do

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/netherlands/1479533/Frustrated-Somalis-flee-Holland-for-the-freedom-of-Britain.html

A calamity. Reason for Brexit number 5718
    It's one of the reasons I voted leave. As soon as these Syrians and other "refugees" get citizenship on Germany they will head to the UK for a life of easy benefits a d under the table cash work/crime. It's already happened with the Somalis from the Netherlands.
    You better hope the transition is not extended beyond 2021 then.
  • Options

From Guido's expose:

' “We used the data that 3.2 million people consented to give away after signing up for the Guardian app,” Kale explains, “and we targeted our propaganda to the three key Remain indicators: people who liked Bob Geldof, soy milk and the CBI on Facebook”. '

https://order-order.com/2018/04/01/remain-campaign-whistleblower-reveals-they-cheated-and-still-lost/#disqus_thread

Sure that's not an April Fool?
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited April 2018
    MikeL said:

Can't read detail.

It’s been occurring from the start of the year according to the front page.
  • Options

MikeL said:

Can't read detail.

OK - thanks.

Is that a NET loss of 17,000? If so, not huge but still significant in my view.
  • Options

@SeanT

The establishment must take some of the blame.

In Bradford we have two local pubs that get attacked every bonfire week by a very large Asian mob,what do the police do -Nothing .

The police excuse is it may cause a full blown riot so it sounds like a couple cracked heads won't matter.

This will lead to disorder in the future ,a future where whiteflight is happening.

Germany

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/938824/Germany-news-duisburg-state-of-emergency-fight-riot-machetes

Huge problems in Sweden, Holland, Germany, France, Italy, Belgium

Germany and Sweden at least have admitted to no go zones

Not going to end well
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,067
    MaxPB said:

From Guido's expose:

Sure that's not an April Fool?
    If so it serves me right for reading Guido.

I've not been to his site for at least six months and it seemed to be no different to the things he usually had.

: insert whatever emoji stands for laughing at your own mistake :
  • Options
    MikeL said:

MikeL said:

Can't read detail.

OK - thanks.

Well they had 552,000 members as of last June. They can afford a few more 17,000s... although if they are the most active members then it is a much bigger loss.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

MikeL said:

Can't read detail.

OK - thanks.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/980559774562639873

You might be able to zoom in here. They think it’s wiped out some of gains in membership since June last year where after the election it went up to 570,000 members from 530,000 before the GE. They’ve lost 3 pc of the paying membership as well according to the front page.
  • Options
    Thanks for replies - I think the significance is not the absolute size of the reduction but the fact that it suggests a change in momentum (no pun intended!).

It also suggests that it's highly likely there has been at least some impact on public opinion across the population as a whole.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Thanks for replies - I think the significance is not the absolute size of the reduction but the fact that it suggests a change in momentum (no pun intended!).

It also suggests that it's highly likely there has been at least some impact on public opinion across the population as a whole.

Re the last paragraph: members you’d expect to follow/care about politics more than your average member of the public. We’ve only had YouGov, so more polls will probably give us more clear indication of whether it’s made a dent in Labour’s coalition.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,202

MikeL said:

MikeL said:

Can't read detail.

OK - thanks.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/980559774562639873

You might be able to zoom in here. They think it’s wiped out some of gains in membership since June last year where after the election it went up to 570,000 members from 530,000 before the GE. They’ve lost 3 pc of the paying membership as well according to the front page.
    The story about the police is even more significant. But they still can’t get it right, seemingly. It’s not a question of believing or not believing victims. You take all allegations seriously and investigate them thoroughly. Only once you have done the investigation can you really say whether or not you believe the victim. Assessing the credibility of the person making the allegations is a part of the investigative process but by no means the most important part. But the critical factor is not the police’s belief or disbelief but the strength and thoroughness of their investigation.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Theresa May is stepping up plans to tackle the Irish border question in Brexit talks through an audacious customs scheme once described as “magical thinking” in Brussels.

The scheme, which will be discussed with EU officials this month, would see the UK act as the external frontier for the EU, collecting tariffs and carrying out other checks on imports, but it could take many years to introduce.

British officials claim that in preliminary trade talks in Brussels last week the idea was no longer being written off as “magical thinking”, the term used by EU officials when it was originally mooted last year.

https://www.ft.com/content/d7edc34e-3428-11e8-ae84-494103e73f7f

Step by step, inch by inch...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Elliot said:

SeanT said:

Elliot said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

Elliot said:

SeanT said:

It's a failu

I don't know if there is oe from hostile Holland, heading over to the UK and London, which they found more "accommodating of Islam".

As I say, m number 5718
    Still, immigrants, on the whole, are a lot less likely to commit crime than white British people. My parents are Iranian immigrants and British Iranians barely commit any crime at all. I suspect that is because we are mainly highly educated people from urban backgrounds.
    Bizarre warping of stats. Blacks are more likely to commit crime than any other ethnic group. Roma are close behind. Pakistani Muslims are a growing problem (grooming aside) Whites - being the vast majority - are understandably in the middle. Highly educated Iranians, Japanese, French, Germans, barely commit crime at all.

And it's got almost fuck all to do with poverty in the end. Chinese people come from a poor country. They don't go round knifing people or chucking acid in faces.

It's culture and genes.
    You think people are genetically predisposed to commit crime? Exactly what point going east from Tehran does the murder gene kick in? The Lut Desert perhaps?

• Options
    SeanT said:

On a lighter note, can anyone recommend any new box sets? Netflix series etc?

I've exhausted the Crown (brilliant series 2) and am stuck.

The Leftovers.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Sometimes I try to be optimistic about open borders, but then along comes SeanT with his wine-fuelled facts.

@tlg86 - I share your attitude, but I’m sure people who’ve left the parts of London with these issues felt the same as us at one time.

Our elite is still in denial.
  • Options
    Elliot said:

SeanT said:

The Leftovers.
    Not new, but Sons of Anarchy
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    I don't want to talk the figures down, because it does suit my natural bias, but those not renewing a direct debit, assuming they are paying yearly, could be those members simply drifting away because they didn't want Corbyn. It would be interesting to see what percentage of the leavers are Smith voters for example.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I watched Flint Town. It's interesting, but fairly depressing.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    SeanT said:

Mindhunter? Loved it.....
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Watch 1864.

It’s a Danish series about what happened when Denmark’s politicians thought it was a good idea to pick a fight with Bismarck’s Prussia.

War, love story, eye candy - something for everyone.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,202
    SeanT said:

Fauda is meant to be good.
  • Options
    JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082
    Im glad SeanT is here to remind us that the real lunatic bigots and racists are of course supporters of the Tory party, much though their various feral propaganda organs try to vainly and ludicrously persuade us otherwise. Cheers, Sean x
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

i'm watching that - certainly takes you beneath the surface of the American dream
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited April 2018
    RoyalBlue said:

Sometimes I try to be optimistic about open borders, but then along comes SeanT with his wine-fuelled facts.

@tlg86 - I share your attitude, but I’m sure people who’ve left the parts of London with these issues felt the same as us at one time.

Our elite is still in denial.

Our elite isn't affected - until we get an acid attack in Sonning it's just a problem affecting poorer areas and poorer people in east London.
  • Options
  • Options
    SeanT said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

Watch 1864.

It’s a Danish series about what happened when Denmark’s politicians thought it was a good idea to pick a fight with Bismarck’s Prussia.

Ooh that sounds cool. I've heard others say it's good, too. Where? Netflix? Prime?
    Amazon Prime. Well worth £4.99 :wink:
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,347
    maaarsh said:

HYUFD said:

Sun poll on the most liked politicians

Top 5

1 Angela Rayner
    =Dennis Skinner
    3 Caroline Lucas
    4 Ken Clarke
    5 Dan Jarvis

The most disliked politicians

Top 5

1 Damian Hinds
    2 Jeremy Hunt
    3 Michael Gove
    4 George Galloway
    5 Matthew Hancock

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/5927274/britains-favourite-royal-most-disliked-pop-star-and-top-celeb-revealed-in-new-poll/

Do we really live in a world where anyone likes Angela Rayner, and anyone has heard of Damian Hinds?

Presumably the Sun just found 1000 respondents from the NUT...
    Also ex employment at the DWP - the role that's made everyone who's done it hugely unpopular as it's meant fronting up for the string of disasters caused by IDS.

Despite campaigning against her in Wirral in 2015 - feel some sympathy for McVey as she was always sent out to defend the indefensible when IDS was too stupid and cowardly too.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

Watch 1864.

Ooh that sounds cool. I've heard others say it's good, too. Where? Netflix? Prime?
    I've got prime. I'm sold!
    Excellent. I’ve still got the last episode to go; I hope you enjoy!
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I have just had an awful realisation - if the absolute bilge vis-a-vis facebook groups gracing the front cover of Uncle Rupe’s vanity publishing project has any traction, that means posting on here could leave me open to being accused of endorsing the absolutely disgusting opinions posted here day-in day-out. Chilling thought.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850
    Just found out who the alleged wife beating MP is best not say though methinks
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

I've heard more enthusiastic recommendations!
    Highly recommended, just a bit depressing at the end. You really want them to succeed at changing and you hope they can, but the reality of corrupt, thieving politicians kicks in.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    JWisemann said:

I have just had an awful realisation - if the absolute bilge vis-a-vis facebook groups gracing the front cover of Uncle Rupe’s vanity publishing project has any traction, that means posting on here could leave me open to being accused of endorsing the absolutely disgusting opinions posted here day-in day-out. Chilling thought.

I agree. How people support AV over FPTP is beyond me.
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

I have just had an awful realisation - if the absolute bilge vis-a-vis facebook groups gracing the front cover of Uncle Rupe’s vanity publishing project has any traction, that means posting on here could leave me open to being accused of endorsing the absolutely disgusting opinions posted here day-in day-out. Chilling thought,

Recently Anazina, The Jezziah and Elliot have joined, so that’s diversified the range of views here a bit more.
  • Options
    No, I’m just joking. The whole story is utter shitehouse, and Im happy to rub shoulders with the purveyors of ‘interesting’ opinions on here, it’s all part of the rich tapestry of life. Just pointing out the desperate insanity of the guff coming out of the Tory Pravda set at the mo.
  • Options
    RobD said:

JWisemann said:

Or claim that The Last Jedi is the best Star Wars movie, when its easily as bad as attack of the clones.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

I can understand your reluctance - but it is dreadfully like teasing to talk about it like that!
  • Options

Not unless you can link to a proper news web site
  • Options
    I enjoy the variety of views here, though I accept no personal responsibility for anything posted. Most of all the nonsense that appears under my name ;)
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,269
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

JWisemann said:

Or claim that The Last Jedi is the best Star Wars movie, when its easily as bad as attack of the clones.
    No. Attack of the Clones is the worst Star Wars movie.
  • Options

I enjoy the variety of views here, though I accept no personal responsibility for anything posted. Most of all the nonsense that appears under my name ;)

I enjoy your posts. This place is very Corbyn-sceptic, myself included in that so it’s always nice to have a bit of a balance and to challenge the stereotype of Corbynistas.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331
    SeanT said:

The Man in the High Castle might appeal, if you've not seen it - avaIlable on Amazon Prime and no doubt as a box set. The Axis won the war and each occupies part of America, with some wild neutral lands in between. The Japanese are desperately worried that the Germans are poised to move to take the whole country. The ordinary populaion shifts uneasily between collaboraiton and resistance, and there's a Matrix-like underlying SF element of alternate timelines. Clever, well-acted, engrossing.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    SeanT said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

Watch 1864.

I've got prime. I'm sold!
    Oh yes, 1864 was good. I've recently been enjoying Irish comedy - Derry Girls on C4 and The Young Offenders (film) on Netflix. I think the TV series of The Young Offenders might still be viewable on iPlayer or RTÉ player.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Thank you, I try to not to be too pro Corbyn but I realised the balancing act wasn't going to work so I at least try to be accurate, mostly.

Edit: I want to second Nick's suggestion of Man in the High Castle, really high quality and one you want to keep watching.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

JWisemann said:

I have just had an awful realisation - if the absolute bilge vis-a-vis facebook groups gracing the front cover of Uncle Rupe’s vanity publishing project has any traction, that means posting on here could leave me open to being accused of endorsing the absolutely disgusting opinions posted here day-in day-out. Chilling thought,

Recently Anazina, The Jezziah and Elliot have joined, so that’s diversified the range of views here a bit more.
    I’ve always assumed that most posts on here are elaborate spoofs, or the product of overactive rebuttal units from right wing eurosceptic interests.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

JWisemann said:

I’ve always assumed that most posts on here are elaborate spoofs, or the product of overactive rebuttal units from right wing eurosceptic interests.
    LOL :lol: there some great contributions on here from both the left and right, but I agree that quite a few posts on here do read as you describe it!
  • Options

Thank you, I try to not to be too pro Corbyn but I realised the balancing act wasn't going to work so I at least try to be accurate, mostly.

Edit: I want to second Nick's suggestion of Man in the High Castle, really high quality and one you want to keep watching.

I enjoyed series one, gave up on the second
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    RobD said:

Sandpit said:

Awesome Observer ‘correction’ buried on page whatever, basically saying that their front page splash on Vote Leave and Cambridge Analytica last week was a load of...

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/mar/31/for-the-record-observer-corrections

In two news articles last week (“Revealed: the ties that bound Canadian data firm to Leave campaign in referendum” and “Brexit insider claims Vote Leave team ‘may have broken law’”), we are happy to clarify that we did not intend to suggest that AggregateIQ is a direct part and/or the Canadian branch of Cambridge Analytica, or that it has been involved in the exploitation of Facebook data, or otherwise been involved in any of the alleged wrongdoing made against Cambridge Analytica. Further, we did not intend to suggest that AIQ secretly and unethically co-ordinated with Cambridge Analytica on the EU referendum. We are happy to make clear that AggregateIQ is and has always been 100% Canadian owned and operated.

And, as Dominic Cummings pointed out last week in his blog, the Guardian Facebook App (yes, there’s a Guardian Facebook App) has a long list of Ts and Cs saying that the Guardian will harvest and sell your data and all your friends’ data. The Guardian also host digital marketing courses where they train businesses on the best way to target social media advertising!

https://dominiccummings.com/2018/03/28/on-the-referendum-24d-walter-mitty-cambridge-analytica-facebook-and-the-guardian-observer/

What did you expect from the Guardian? This is the newspaper that goes on and on about tax avoidance, yet used the Cayman Islands to avoid tax. You couldn't make it up.
    I thought they avoided tax by not making a profit.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited April 2018
    edit
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,734
    edited April 2018
    SeanT said:

I am this close to recommending "The Expanse", but you probably wouldn't like it. Similarly "Altered Carbon". The recommendations below about "The Man In The High Castle" below are correct, and it is further graced by the burny cheekbones of Rufus Sewell.

But since you probably only go for normal people stuff, I can recommend the "American Crime Stories" (series 1: The People v. O. J. Simpson, series 2: The Assassination of Gianni Versace).

Or you could just go straight to "The Bridge", as series 1-3 are on iPlayer

Or, casting wider afield, the last episode of Mash - "Goodbye, Farewell, Amen" (1983) - is on YouTube, as is "Path To War" (2002), a bloody good drama doc about LBJ and Vietnam.

You can also get the 1979 BBC "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" from YouTube, but you'll have to pay.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Expanse_(TV_series)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altered_Carbon_(TV_series)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Crime_Story
    h ttps://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b09trdxr

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bridge_(2011_TV_series)
    h ttps://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b03bnc34

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodbye,_Farewell_and_Amen:
    h ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-3qeBn2bio

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinker_Tailor_Soldier_Spy_(miniseries)
    h ttps://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=EL4eYxtqSl4P8ViGkhnfJyVQ

• Options
    I like the Expanse, so I've put Altered Carbon on my 'to watch' list.

@Floater

I can possibly see why but I was pretty hooked at that point.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,734
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

What did you expect from the Guardian? This is the newspaper that goes on and on about tax avoidance, yet used the Cayman Islands to avoid tax. You couldn't make it up.

You don't understand. The Scott Trust is other people's money.As such, it is infinitely large and can be spent willy-nilly.

That, in a nutshell, was Alan Rusbridger's business plan.

As this is Britain, such ludicrously irresponsible financial management was not punished by impalement but was instead rewarded by being appointed Chair of the Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism and Principal of Lady Margaret Hall.

• Options
    Elliot said:

MaxPB said:

You better hope the transition is not extended beyond 2021 then.
    German citizenship is pretty hard to get (much harder than in the UK), so I doubt any of the Syrians will be getting citizenship until 2023 at the earliest (8 years from 2015). And even if the transition period was lengthened until 2025 (which it won't be), post genuine transition period there will clearly be no requirement for the UK to offer benefits to anyone who's not a citizen.

So, it's pretty fanciful/paranoid to think - on any reasonable timeline of us leaving the EU - that there will be any Syrians with German citizenship arriving in the UK to take long-term advantage of the UK's benefits system.

And to address Max's earlier point about illegal work: this is something that we in the UK are just spectacularly shit at addressing. The Albanians in your local carwash aren't working legally. We could arrest them and deport them (and jail the person who employed them). It's just that we don't.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056
    rcs1000 said:

So, it's pretty fanciful/paranoid to think - on any reasonable timeline of us leaving the EU - that there will be any Syrians with German citizenship arriving in the UK to take long-term advantage of the UK's benefits system.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/apr/25/brexit-is-only-way-to-control-immigration-campaigners-claim

Owen Paterson during the referendum campaign: "This is a genuine and legitimate concern, for Germany’s migration policy is now so out of control that in February of this year, federal ministries were estimating that Angela Merkel’s asylum amnesty would have attracted 3.6 million people by 2020. Many of these will, after five years, be able to acquire EU passports and move across Europe and into the UK.”
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/apr/25/brexit-is-only-way-to-control-immigration-campaigners-claim

Owen Paterson during the referendum campaign: "This is a genuine and legitimate concern, for Germany’s migration policy is now so out of control that in February of this year, federal ministries were estimating that Angela Merkel’s asylum amnesty would have attracted 3.6 million people by 2020. Many of these will, after five years, be able to acquire EU passports and move across Europe and into the UK.”
    It's very difficult to get a German passport in less than eight years. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_nationality_law
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,883
    Morning, so we all managed to avoid the Chinese space station, which came down eventually in the South Pacific. And England’s cricketers have run up a good score to be favourites to beat the Kiwis. A good morning.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Is Mike applying for the job?
  • Options
    On murder rates in New York and London: the story is much more of a very sharp drop in New York than a rise in London. London’s rate, while certainly rising, is currently suggesting a return to the rate in the early 2000s. New York in that period was recording three times as many murders and the current fall is unprecedented.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

On murder rates in New York and London: the story is much more of a very sharp drop in New York than a rise in London. London’s rate, while certainly rising, is currently suggesting a return to the rate in the early 2000s. New York in that period was recording three times as many murders and the current fall is unprecedented.

So Khan has brought us back to the murder rate levels of Livingstone, after the significant decline under Johnson. Coincidence of statistics, of course.
  • Options

So Khan has brought us back to the murder rate levels of Livingstone, after the significant decline under Johnson. Coincidence of statistics, of course.
    It was particularly good in the early years of this decade.

No doubt it was all that mass immigration that introduced civilising influences.

Or the birth rates in key years might be worth looking at. Troublemakers tend to get into trouble in particular age bands. If there were fewer in those age bands in given years, you would expect crime to go down.
  • Options

No doubt it was all that mass immigration that introduced civilising influences.

Or the birth rates in key years might be worth looking at. Troublemakers tend to get into trouble in particular age bands. If there were fewer in those age bands in given years, you would expect crime to go down.
    If you want to play silly buggers with statistics, the second derivative (i.e. the rate of change of immigration) correlates with the actual murder rate in London.

However, as one is a London number, and the other a UK one; as the number of data points is small: and as we are comparing a second derivative with an absolute number, I think it's reasonable to argue that it is just statistical noise.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Good morning, everyone.

Hard to disagree with Mr. Smithson's reading of the situation. Pretty feeble attempt at an explanation for the Leader of the Opposition, the man who aspires to be PM, getting rid of his Facebook account because he doesn't want the media or electorate to see what he thinks (about murals, for example) or whom he considers his friends to be.

In other news, the DPP is stepping down, it seems: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43614793
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974
    Sandpit said:

Morning, so we all managed to avoid the Chinese space station, which came down eventually in the South Pacific. And England’s cricketers have run up a good score to be favourites to beat the Kiwis. A good morning.

Not sure about the second sentence. Not at all. Nor the third; grey and drizzling here.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917

Sandpit said:

Not sure about the second sentence. Not at all. Nor the third; grey and drizzling here.
    Looks like Christmas day out here. As per Bing Crosby, absolutely tonnes of snow
  • Options
    King Cole, it's snowing here. Has been for at least an hour.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974

Which part of Yorkshire’s ‘here', Mr D? Granddaughter One has to get back to work in Beverely. Work’s tomorrow, of course, but she’s planning to drive up today from Essex. Works in Beverley, has a flat in Hull.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited April 2018

Is Mike applying for the job?

Back in the early 1990s LAB was looking for a new PR Chief and I was a candidate. Peter Mandelson got the job. I wasn't helped by not being a party member although it was said that this was not a requirement
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

I enjoy your posts. This place is very Corbyn-sceptic, myself included in that so it’s always nice to have a bit of a balance and to challenge the stereotype of Corbynistas.
    Seconded.
  • Options
    King Cole, near Morley (a few miles outside Leeds).
  • Options

Removing 4* petrol from forecourts probably had the biggest effect on the crime and murder rate from the 90s to early 00s.

The recent rise is probably a mix of the police becoming too lax, an increase in gang violence and under resourcing of foot patrols.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

With a remain vote or would have been a legitimate concern regardless of the length it takes to acquire a German passport. It would be a literal repeat of the Somalis coming here from the Netherlands as soon as they were able to.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Definitely no snow here, a cool 27°C this morning. :D
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    SeanT said:

Elliot said:

SeanT said:

Elliot said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

Elliot said:

SeanT said:

It's a failu

I don't know if there is oe from hostile Holland, heading over to the UK and London, which they found more "accommodating of Islam".

As I say, m number 5718
    Still, immigrants, on the whole, are a lot less likely to commit crime than white British people. My parents are Iranian immigrants and British Iranians barely commit any crime at all. I suspect that is because we are mainly highly educated people from urban backgrounds.
    Bizarre warping of stats. Blacks are more likely to commit crime than any other ethnic group. Roma are close behind. Pakistani Muslims are a growing problem (grooming aside) Whites - being the vast majority - are understandably in the middle. Highly educated Iranians, Japanese, French, Germans, barely commit crime at all.

And it's got almost fuck all to do with poverty in the end. Chinese people come from a poor country. They don't go round knifing people or chucking acid in faces.

It's culture and genes.
    I'm not sure it's "culture" so much as the brutalising nature of growing up in a warzone (and learning that violence gets you what you want).

Of course that doesn't excuse it!
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,045
    SeanT said:

Babylon Berlin
    Ray Donovan
    The Night Of

If you like gritty westerns, Godless worth a look.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I've rather enjoyed The Sinner (but my wife finds it slow)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sinner_(TV_series)
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, I'm not a fan of heat. I'd probably go mad living in a desert (although dry heat's a lot easier to handle than the humid variety).
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Sandpit said:

Awesome Observer ‘correction’ buried on page whatever, basically saying that their front page splash on Vote Leave and Cambridge Analytica last week was a load of...

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/mar/31/for-the-record-observer-corrections

In two news articles last week (“Revealed: the ties that bound Canadian data firm to Leave campaign in referendum” and “Brexit insider claims Vote Leave team ‘may have broken law’”), we are happy to clarify that we did not intend to suggest that AggregateIQ is a direct part and/or the Canadian branch of Cambridge Analytica, or that it has been involved in the exploitation of Facebook data, or otherwise been involved in any of the alleged wrongdoing made against Cambridge Analytica. Further, we did not intend to suggest that AIQ secretly and unethically co-ordinated with Cambridge Analytica on the EU referendum. We are happy to make clear that AggregateIQ is and has always been 100% Canadian owned and operated.

And, as Dominic Cummings pointed out last week in his blog, the Guardian Facebook App (yes, there’s a Guardian Facebook App) has a long list of Ts and Cs saying that the Guardian will harvest and sell your data and all your friends’ data. The Guardian also host digital marketing courses where they train businesses on the best way to target social media advertising!

https://dominiccummings.com/2018/03/28/on-the-referendum-24d-walter-mitty-cambridge-analytica-facebook-and-the-guardian-observer/

The Autotrader structure - while standard for PE and driven by Apax not the Guardian - avoided capital gains tax on the sale of the Guardian's minority stake. They are, quite simply, hypocrites.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    SeanT said:

Billions (series 1 and 2, 3 started last week). Think it is all on NOWTV?
    The Looming Tower - Amazon Prime
    Manhunt: Unabomber - Netflix
    The Assassination of Gianni Versace - Iplayer

Interestingly, the last three are dramatised versions of real life events....
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,235
    Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

I gave up on Billions after about 3 episodes. Self indulgent twaddle.
  • Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821
    SeanT said:

What the fuck are they doing here? Do we need Somalians? They were never even in the commonwealth?

Factual correction: there was a British protectorate in present-day northwestern Somalia from 1888-1960, occupied by the Italians from 1940-1. This territory was incorporated with ex-Italian Somaliland when Somalia became independent, but has now de facto seceded from Somalia. Most Somalis in Britain, including the long-established community in Cardiff, originate from former British Somaliland.
  • Options

Mr. Sandpit, I'm not a fan of heat. I'd probably go mad living in a desert (although dry heat's a lot easier to handle than the humid variety).

It’s okay for another month or so, then gets horribly hot and humid for the summer until about October. Nice weather usually for the GP in Abu Dhabi in November, and of course Bahrain next weekend.
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    On viewing recommendations:

- The Looming Tower on Prime; the run up to 9/11 focussing on the bitter rivalries between the CIA and FBI

- Halt and Catch Fire on Prime; essential for anyone around in early 80s when personal computing was first emerging, the corporate characters are spot on and seeing PCs boot up to the c:\ is so comfortingly nostalgic...
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited April 2018
    Enjoying Halt and Catch fire. Like Mad Men, but about computers in the 80s.
  • Options
    Rexel56 said:

On viewing recommendations:

- The Looming Tower on Prime; the run up to 9/11 focussing on the bitter rivalries between the CIA and FBI

- Halt and Catch Fire on Prime; essential for anyone around in early 80s when personal computing was first emerging, the corporate characters are spot on and seeing PCs boot up to the c:\ is so comfortingly nostalgic...

I forgot about HACF. Probably the best US TV show of the last 5 years IMHO.
  • Options
    daodao said:

SeanT said:

What the fuck are they doing here? Do we need Somalians? They were never even in the commonwealth?

Factual correction: there was a British protectorate in present-day northwestern Somalia from 1888-1960, occupied by the Italians from 1940-1. This territory was incorporated with ex-Italian Somaliland when Somalia became independent, but has now de facto seceded from Somalia. Most Somalis in Britain, including the long-established community in Cardiff, originate from former British Somaliland.
    I have posted on pb.com from Hargeisa in said former British Somaliland. A possibly unique distinction?

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/hargeisa-somaliland-somalia-africa/index.html
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Enjoying Halt and Catch fire. Like Mad Med, but about computers in the 80s.

Indeed. Like Mad Men, and the Sopranos before it, the characters of HACF elevate it way above a genre series.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

Really? I binged it when we set up the shop, so wasn't exactly at my energetic best. But Giamatti (and Maggie Siff) make it for me.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

Well worth persevering with Billions. The notion of the wife of the prosecutor working for the target billionaire strains credibility, but the end of the first series - the man with nothing to lose facing the man with everything to lose - is delicious.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541

SeanT said:

The Man in the High Castle might appeal, if you've not seen it - avaIlable on Amazon Prime and no doubt as a box set. The Axis won the war and each occupies part of America, with some wild neutral lands in between. The Japanese are desperately worried that the Germans are poised to move to take the whole country. The ordinary populaion shifts uneasily between collaboraiton and resistance, and there's a Matrix-like underlying SF element of alternate timelines. Clever, well-acted, engrossing.
    It was good, but I thought it had something of a pacing problem, being pretty slow at the start, and then ending rather abruptly at the end of the second series. The art direction/ cinematography was absolutely magnificent.

In contrast, I thought Altered Carbon fairly rubbish. Took books which were interesting a decade ago, and went nowhere with them. And the lead was woeful.
  • Options
    Mr. Mark, impressive, though Mr. Owls must hold the all-time record (and I hope it's never beaten/repeated) for 'interesting' posting locations.

On TV: they're making a Witcher TV series. I think there was one a while back in Poland (the books and videogame studio are Polish) which wasn't great, but this is, apparently, a better-funded shindig.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

I have nothing to add on tv series (I barely watch them) but I met Versace’s killer.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited April 2018
    Mindhunter on Netflix is highbrow and perfect and the cast is excellent.
    Series 2 in production

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mindhunter_(TV_series)
  • Options

Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

I have nothing to add on tv series (I barely watch them) but I met Versace’s killer.
    Crikey!

The actor playing him in the series is wonderful. Has a very bright future.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541
    If you have some patience (it starts quite slowly, and there are something like 21 episodes of well over an hour each... and of course subtitles), the Korean Misaeng is quite magnificent.

Which is extraordinary since it's more or less a serious drama version of The Office...
    (Netflix)
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,616

Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

I met Versace’s killer.
    Under what circumstances?
  • Options

Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

I met Versace’s killer.
    Under what circumstances?
    Of all places, at a friend’s party in Lewisham about a year before he went on his killing spree. There was nothing memorable about him at all.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,235

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

Well worth persevering with Billions. The notion of the wife of the prosecutor working for the target billionaire strains credibility, but the end of the first series - the man with nothing to lose facing the man with everything to lose - is delicious.
    I may have another go then. The wife thing was just irritating as was the clichéd performances and script all round. Especially the script actually. It did the actors no favours.
This discussion has been closed.