Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Would Joe Biden beat Donald Trump? See this interesting analys

13»

Comments

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Danny565 said:

LMAO, so now the PB wisdom is that Corbyn is antisemitic for meeting with......a Jewish group.

Which, again, is coming from people I distinctly remember defending the "Sadiq Khan is dangerous because he's Muslim" campaign.

"Alex Wickham
    ‏Verified account @WikiGuido
    1h1 hour ago

This is 'Jewdas', the group Corbyn chose to meet tonight. They are a fringe group that despises and is despised by mainstream Jews."
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    The big scoop on Jewdas from the wikipedia page

In 2015, the group's football team, Jewdas FC, reached the semi-final of the Proudly East London Football Tournament
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    kle4 said:

The statement 'he current scandal is a bout of 'faux-outrage' and down to 'manipulations by people whose express loyalty is to the Conservative Party and the right wing of the Labour party'.' doesn't actually state there is no anti-semitism within the party. It is perfectly possible that both that position and what Corbyn said are true.

There were pockets of anti-semitism within Labour when Corbyn took over but the current scandal didn't exist at the time. If that is their point then that is true.

Of course this needs to be judged in the context of their other views, but let us take this optimistic analysis of what they meant - and I don't doubt you are correct about interpreting Momemtum's statement - but that is also one of the points I was making. There is an issue, but the extent of it, and how much Corbyn is the problem, is more up for debate, and it is possible that people think it is being exaggerated. However, if you were a media adviser to Corbyn for instance, surely you would suggest he not open himself up to easy attack by meeting with people who at first glance appear to be suggesting the whole thing is a mere manipulation?

Assuming the very best of Corbyn, and accepting opponents will seek to find something to criticise no matter what, meeting with Jewdas, given at the least the tenor of their statements, gives even more impartial media something to ask him about to clarify if he agrees this is the work of the Tories and his internal opponents.

On a practical level it is a misstep, even if in fact things are not as they appear.

I would agree its inadvisable. Someone made the comment about it being a local group and a Passover Seder so I do wonder if he is just doing what is in his mind the right thing. Which is partially what I was attracted to, so it makes it difficult sometimes to criticise him for making a tactical mistake.. or at least what appears to be a tactical mistake.

I wonder if this, on top of over the top defensiveness in reaction to over the top criticism, is part of what shields him from criticism from his supporters. If you support someone doing what you believe to be the right thing sometimes even in opposition to prevailing opinion then that means you have to accept him sometimes doing the same thing to you.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Elliot said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

LMAO, so now the PB wisdom is that Corbyn is antisemitic for meeting with......a Jewish group.

No, the wisdom is that given that group at the least and on the most positive interpretation seems pretty dismissive of the current scandal which he is trying to address, it was an unwise group to meet with at this time.
    Has anyone asked Corbyn whether he thinks Israel should exist at all?
    I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if he said no.

Which would be the wrong stance to take, in my view. And I do often suspect people who oppose Israel's right to exist are motivated by antisemitism. But people who are Jewish themselves are quite self-evidently not motivated by that, unless they're taking self-hatred to new levels.
  • Options
    Elliot said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

No, the wisdom is that given that group at the least and on the most positive interpretation seems pretty dismissive of the current scandal which he is trying to address, it was an unwise group to meet with at this time.
    Yes.

Challenging accusations of a weak response to growing anti-Semitism within his ranks, spurred in part by what many perceive as his own anti-Israel sentiments, embattled UK Labour leader Jerermy Corbyn faced members of London’s Jewish community on Sunday in the last debate of a closely fought internal election for the leadership of the party.

In his first such comments, Corbyn said that he supports Israel’s right to exist, based on Israel’s “original border,” a reference that presumably meant without Israeli control over the West Bank, East Jerusalem, the Golan Heights and Gaza

https://www.timesofisrael.com/in-first-corbyn-says-israel-has-a-right-to-exist-under-1948-agreement/
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Danny565 said:

Which, again, is coming from people I distinctly remember defending the "Sadiq Khan is dangerous because he's Muslim" campaign.

"Alex Wickham
    1h1 hour ago

This is 'Jewdas', the group Corbyn chose to meet tonight. They are a fringe group that despises and is despised by mainstream Jews."
    ....who are Jewish themselves.
  • Options
    Play about to begin in Christchurch.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/cricket/43349868
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,076
    AndyJS said:

Labour MP for Penistone and Stocksbridge:

https://twitter.com/angelasmithmp/status/980930274405085184

Just had a thought that in 2017 the Conservatives might have been ahead in both the Penistone and Stocksbridge areas but behind by more in the rest of the constituency.

While there have been cases where Labour have lost constituencies despite being ahead in the places which give the constituency its name it must be very rare for it to happen to the Conservatives.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

AndyJS said:

Danny565 said:

"Alex Wickham
    1h1 hour ago

....who are Jewish themselves.
    A simple analysis - labour are in crisis
  • Options
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Danny565 said:

Elliot said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if he said no.

Which would be the wrong stance to take, in my view. And I do often suspect people who oppose Israel's right to exist are motivated by antisemitism. But people who are Jewish themselves are quite self-evidently not motivated by that, unless they're taking self-hatred to new levels.
    Not impossible, but yes, seems less likely. But in terms of Corbyn taking the view that there is a problem to face, they are far from helpful fellows at this time.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    AndyJS said:

Some people here didn't get the message
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    England strike twice, with the first two balls of the day.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Two wickets in the first two balls.

Broad's on a hat trick
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Danny565 said:

You don't seem to know much about anything, nor how to use the internet to make up the difference.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-hating_Jew
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Broad's on a hat trick
    When he's hot, he's hot.
  • Options
    apparently Jewdas want to "overthrow the State"

So, of course the leader of the LOYAL opposition meets them

I mean, why not
  • Options
    Floater said:

apparently Jewdas want to "overthrow the State"

So, of course the leader of the LOYAL opposition meets them

I mean, why not

But their About page on their website makes Life of Brian references, so it balances out.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Eddie Izzard doing stand up on BBC1 right now. The Beeb are trolling too.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Danny565 said:

You don't seem to know much about anything, nor how to use the internet to make up the difference.

Quoting from that very article: "The legitimacy of the term (in modern usage) remains controversial."

Do you believe the people in this group are antisemitic?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Danny565 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Danny565 said:

Quoting from that very article: "The legitimacy of the term (in modern usage) remains controversial."

Do you believe the people in this group are antisemitic?
    Oooh, I don't know, it's a fascinating little paradox, isn't it?
  • Options

Eddie Izzard doing stand up on BBC1 right now. The Beeb are trolling too.

The NEC holding an emergency meeting?......
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

AndyJS said:

Just had a thought that in 2017 the Conservatives might have been ahead in both the Penistone and Stocksbridge areas but behind by more in the rest of the constituency.

While there have been cases where Labour have lost constituencies despite being ahead in the places which give the constituency its name it must be very rare for it to happen to the Conservatives.
    Yes. Usually the other way round, I'd think: it'll be not that uncommon for Conservatives to lose the large town that gives a constituency its name but overturn that deficit in the smaller, rural villages and outer suburbs.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,562
    kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Broad's on a hat trick
    When he's hot, he's hot.
    Which is not very often these days.
    Before this test, wasn't it something like 45 innings since his last five for... ?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,432

AndyJS said:

Yes. Usually the other way round, I'd think: it'll be not that uncommon for Conservatives to lose the large town that gives a constituency its name but overturn that deficit in the smaller, rural villages and outer suburbs.
    Unlikely, I would have thought. Stocksbridge is an old steel town, and probably the most Labour-friendly part of the seat.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960

Corbyn must be trolling. It's the only explanation which fits the facts.

PS I think I've guessed Mike's 280/1.

Me too.
    Kanye West for President?
    https://twitter.com/JohnKasich/status/980905255570419714
    280-1.

Get on the Hick.

(One interesting thing about Hick vs the Trump. Donald made his money catering to the rich: Trump Towers and Mar-el-Lago. The average man on the street has never bought a Trump product. Hickenlooper made his money out of beer. And pretty much everyone in Denver has found themselves at the Wynkoop at one point or another.)
  • Options
    Maiden test wicket for Leach !
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,191
    Ross Taylor out sweeping.

New Zealand falling to pieces here.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,191
    An awful lot riding on Latham and Watling for the Kiwis. None of the others are ones you would expect to bat time for the draw.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,814
    Jezza's in trouble.

Theresa's in Wales.

The stars are aligning...

Thursday 7th June for 2018 UK General Election.

#thisisit :D
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,076
    Cookie said:

AndyJS said:

Unlikely, I would have thought. Stocksbridge is an old steel town, and probably the most Labour-friendly part of the seat.
    Labour would have done better in the two Ecclesfield wards and in Dodworth IMO.

And the Conservatives would have had to have done well in somewhere other than Penistone.

I vaguely recall that the Conservatives won some town council elections in Stocksbridge a decade ago.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

AndyJS said:

Another example: the Tories might have got the most votes in the City of Durham itself in 1983 but narrowly come third overall because of the mining villages. The result was Lab 36.5%, Alliance 32.5%, Con 31.0%.
  • Options
    Ooops - Jezza goes under the bus

UPDATE: Labour say Corbyn attended in a personal capacity not in his role as Labour leader. His own spokesman is dumping on him…
  • Options
    Floater said:

Ooops - Jezza goes under the bus

UPDATE: Labour say Corbyn attended in a personal capacity not in his role as Labour leader. His own spokesman is dumping on him…

But nothing to see here - nope
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Jezza's in trouble.

Theresa's in Wales.

The stars are aligning...

Thursday 7th June for 2018 UK General Election.

#thisisit :D

Dear heavans let us hope not.

Night all. We'll see if this part of the Corbyn troubless has any legs soon enough.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    Now that the first is safely in the bag:

NEW THREAD!
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    Floater said:

UPDATE: Labour say Corbyn attended in a personal capacity not in his role as Labour leader.

Pretty much fits in with my guess, local Jewish group invites him and he goes.

@rcs1000

I can only read 2 paragraphs but my opinion would be a top musician!

Think I also played his computer game, although I suspect him and Skinner only had a little to do with it.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Corbyn must be trolling. It's the only explanation which fits the facts.

PS I think I've guessed Mike's 280/1.

Me too.
    Kanye West for President?
    https://twitter.com/JohnKasich/status/980905255570419714
    280-1.

Get on the Hick.

(One interesting thing about Hick vs the Trump. Donald made his money catering to the rich: Trump Towers and Mar-el-Lago. The average man on the street has never bought a Trump product. Hickenlooper made his money out of beer. And pretty much everyone in Denver has found themselves at the Wynkoop at one point or another.)
    Rather unlikely to get the nomination, I think.
    This was a slightly curious story:
    https://edition.cnn.com/2017/08/25/politics/kasich-hickenlooper-2020-unity-ticket/index.html
This discussion has been closed.