Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Don’t be tempted by the Corbyn exit in 2018 bets – he’s as str

Comments

• Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited April 2018

The correct number was £288 million a week. Such a large number that I always wondered why Leave chose to go with the £350 million. They could have gone with the real number and it would still have had the same impact without any of the consequences of being labelled dishonest

They did that because it left the Remain side with the dilemma of either accepting the nonsense figure, or disputing it with the weak counter-argument that 'it's only £288m a week' (and thus drawing attention to it even more), either of which would merely serve to support Vote Leave's case.

It was a deliberately dishonest and cynical, but effective, tactic. Dominic Cummings, take a bow.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,810
    Elliot said:

We will have to see what details emerged, but I think it is entirely reasonable for a 78-year old man to use a weapon against an intruder in his house.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-43639183

Perfectly acceptable and self defence by an man twice the age of the creep threatening his life.
  • Dear oh dear. I called it yesterday.

But apparently I don’t understand how the world works.

Journalists don't seem to (want to!) understand how science works, and vice versa. Molecules don't have "MADE IN RUSSIA" stamped on their covalent bonds, and the Porton Down guy hasn't been given any training on how to communicate a slightly complicated message.

Yesterday on Twitter was profoundly depressing. As ever :p
    Nah. It was Boris and the FCO saying Porton Down had confirmed it was Russia now they are deleting all evidence of them saying that.

This is the sort of behaviour you’d expect from Blair and Campbell.
    As effective as that? Quite a step up.

But it is still the case that Porton Down identified the poison as a) a novichok nerve agent that b) required a degree of manufacturing complexity that only a state player could devise. Over to you MI6 - any body else making novichoks?
    Boris and the FCO have given succour to Russia, Putin, and the Corbynites, Lord Carrington resigned over less.
    Breaking - Germany and the EU back the UK position
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,928
    Yorkcity said:

HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

houndtang said:

Has it been satisfactorily explained yet how Labour got 40% ? Apart from vague stuff about youth and collapsing UKIP it is still not clear who .voted for the berk.

We know that the Tories finished the election on much the same polling as they started, so there seem to be few Tory to Corbyn switchers, not surprisigly. What Jezza managed was to appeal to the other 58% more than Tories could comprehend, and judging by this thread struggle to do so now.

Jezza was not the horned demon that the papers made out, bble.
    A good summary of how many supporters view him. It is just a pity that he is also a narrow minded idealogue who verges on being a fanatic. Many have projected qualities on to him that he does not possess and which are also contradictory. Many so want to believe so his unlikely coalition may persist but I think a big collapse in support wil happen at some stage, probably before the next GE.
    I think Jezza wrong about many things, and he has a Thatcher like rigidity of opinion, that is similtaneously a strength and also an Achilles heel. What he has done for Labour most of all ntry?
    I agree , they do like a good tubthumper , Corbyn came to York and spoke in the main square.In contrast May came to York and went to the Barbican centre to speak to invited conservatives.

The Corbyn event generated a lot of local media coverage.It also imo produced a good result in York Central which spread to York Outer.

The only Tory who can attract a crowd like Corbyn is Boris which is why he is still the most likely candidate to succeed May in my view
    Yes I agree, when Boris came to York during the referendum campaign he generated lots of publicity and a good crowd.

He reaches far beyond the conservative base , that is why Brexit needed him .
    The fact it was Boris rather than Farage leading Leave certainly played a key role in getting Leave over 50%.

Boris is the Tory with the best chance of getting a majority against Corbyn in my view
  • AndyJS said:

The Russians doing their usual thing of lying 100% of the time, and taking advantage of everyone else when they tell the truth, messy as it usually is.

And, that's enough. There are enough people out there willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, who like to think they're savvy because they distrust Western officialdom.
    If Russia was in the dock, then the burden of proof is beyond all reasonable doubt. That there are Useful Idiots saying we have to prove beyond all unreasonable doubt is being exploited by the people who did this.

If Russia was in the dock, there would undoubtedly be a conviction - unless the CPS was unfortunate enough to have Corbyn and TSE on the jury. In which case, the judge would get a majority verdict.

(As an aside, had lunch on Monday with somebody who is, let us say, part of the Serrated Edge of the Establishment. He was in absolutely no doubt. None at all. It was Russia.)
    Err I've said it was Russia, and I'd vote to convict.

I'm just saying Boris and the FCO have given Russia an opportunity to attack the UK and weaken the case.
  • tysontyson Posts: 6,049

Dear oh dear. I called it yesterday.

Journalists don't seem to (want to!) understand how science works, and vice versa. Molecules don't have "MADE IN RUSSIA" stamped on their covalent bonds, and the Porton Down guy hasn't been given any training on how to communicate a slightly complicated message.

Nah. It was Boris and the FCO saying Porton Down had confirmed it was Russia now they are deleting all evidence of them saying that.

But it is still the case that Porton Down identified the poison as a) a novichok nerve agent that b) required a degree of manufacturing complexity that only a state player could devise. Over to you MI6 - any body else making novichoks?
    Boris and the FCO have given succour to Russia, Putin, and the Corbynites, Lord Carrington resigned over less.
    Admittedly, rushing so quickly to condemn the Russians quite so openly, seems just risky politics and something out of May's character.... This really has the potential to spectacularly blow up in May's face.....

Corbyn was not ruling out Russia, or pro Putin...he was just being prudent. Again, his judgement on all things foreign seems to be one of his strengths....
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,833
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

AndyJS said:

Blue_rog said:

O/T

I really hope these charges are dropped and the guy in question gets a community award!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/04/04/suspected-burglar-dies-tussle-pensioner-78/

Couldn't agree more.
    No jury is going to convict if the story is even half true. Nonetheless, I can see why the Police have to take a fatal stabbing so seriously, Albeit one rather different to the usual teenage gangsters.
    It’s one of those occasionally crappy cases which come up. There’s a dead man who has a family, and whatever the circumstances the police are bound to investigate what appears to be a homicide.

If the facts are as described, he’ll be charged with manslaughter and the Crown in an ideal world will send a lawyer to the Magistrate and tell him they intend to offer no evidence, so he’ll be found not guilty the same day. There’s no way anyone would want to put the case in front of a jury.
    "Reasonable force" in my opinion.
    Of course, but is that a decision the CPS can make on their own?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,884
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

AndyJS said:

Blue_rog said:

O/T

I really hope these charges are dropped and the guy in question gets a community award!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/04/04/suspected-burglar-dies-tussle-pensioner-78/

Couldn't agree more.
    No jury is going to convict if the story is even half true. Nonetheless, I can see why the Police have to take a fatal stabbing so seriously, Albeit one rather different to the usual teenage gangsters.
    It’s one of those occasionally crappy cases which come up. There’s a dead man who has a family, and whatever the circumstances the police are bound to investigate what appears to be a homicide.

If the facts are as described, he’ll be charged with manslaughter and the Crown in an ideal world will send a lawyer to the Magistrate and tell him they intend to offer no evidence, so he’ll be found not guilty the same day. There’s no way anyone would want to put the case in front of a jury.
    DUnno but people who burgle OAPs homes are the true scum of the earth, and I wouldn't even grace him with a funeral.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,087
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

AndyJS said:

Blue_rog said:

O/T

Couldn't agree more.

Surely they have to take into account the likelihood of a prosecution succeeding? And of putting the elderly accused through the trauma of giving evidence.
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

AndyJS said:

Blue_rog said:

O/T

Couldn't agree more.

Yes - they can say 'not in the public interest to bring charges'.
    DavidL said:

So we have a nerve agent which is a part of a family of nerve agents developed in Russia which, to our knowledge, no one else has, used in an English street on a Russian double agent when with his Russian daughter and it is a story that Porton Down could not identify the origin of the actual molecules?

I mean, really? That's a story? When Porton Down did its job and identified this as Novichok the finger was pointed squarely at Russia. It still is. Absolutely nothing has changed other than some fairly incriminating statements about how residing in the UK is not particularly good for Russian's health.

Pity they had to over egg the pudding and lie so much, instead of choosing their words carefully, but what do you expect when it isabsolute balloons like Boris mouthing off.
  • Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

AndyJS said:

Blue_rog said:

O/T

Couldn't agree more.

The charging decision is in the hands of the CPS.

Of course they are reliant on evidence provided to them by the police.
  • There's something really wrong at the heart of West Ham.

https://twitter.com/NPLH_ZINE/status/981478817150758912
    tyson said:

Admittedly, rushing so quickly to condemn the Russians quite so openly, seems just risky politics and something out of May's character.... This really has the potential to spectacularly blow up in May's face.....

Corbyn was not ruling out Russia, or pro Putin...he was just being prudent. Again, his judgement on all things foreign seems to be one of his strengths....
    He was just doing his normal thing of supporting Britain's enemies. Nothing prudent about it.
    tyson said:

Nobody has come up with any remotely plausible alternative. That is not prudence - that is giving Putin a get out of jail card.

Breaking - Germany and the EU back the UK position
    That very same EU that we are trying to break away from....

This whole Russia thing has the stench of people playing politics....from Putin for his re-election, May to distract from Brexit and her personal failings, Boris to appear Churchillian, and now the EU, in showing solidarity and showing us that perhaps our collective national interests are better together....

Corbyn is the only one who seems to have kept his authenticity....
    tyson said:

Desperation
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,198

AndyJS said:

The Russians doing their usual thing of lying 100% of the time, and taking advantage of everyone else when they tell the truth, messy as it usually is.

And, that's enough. There are enough people out there willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, who like to think they're savvy because they distrust Western officialdom.
    If Russia was in the dock, then the burden of proof is beyond all reasonable doubt. That there are Useful Idiots saying we have to prove beyond all unreasonable doubt is being exploited by the people who did this.

If Russia was in the dock, there would undoubtedly be a conviction - unless the CPS was unfortunate enough to have Corbyn and TSE on the jury. In which case, the judge would get a majority verdict.

(As an aside, had lunch on Monday with somebody who is, let us say, part of the Serrated Edge of the Establishment. He was in absolutely no doubt. None at all. It was Russia.)

I'm just saying Boris and the FCO have given Russia an opportunity to attack the UK and weaken the case.
    Quite - although no doubt there is additional evidence which is not yet public.

In terms of what is public, it goes way beyond balance of probability, but perhaps falls very slightly short of beyond a reasonable doubt ?
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

AndyJS said:

The evidence is very strong that it was Russians, but I could buy in to a theory that it wasn't Russia but was oligarch on oligarch crime by a rival of Putin's intent on discrediting him.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,311
    Cyclefree said:

So British is he that he seems to hate everything about Britain. Sure he makes jam and has an allotment and is probably fun to chat to in the pub. My son has met him and had a selfie with him and said he was pleasant and polite. But so what? What he gets inspiration from - the Far Left - has caused misery to millions everywhere it has been tried.

Being far left does not mean hating everything about Britain - that's a complete non-sequitur, and IMO is in fact simply false both in general and in his specific case.

For that matter, if we want to be provocative, capitalism has caused misery to millions everywhere it has been tried, and continues to do so. Obviously it doesn't involve large-scale slaughter as Stalinism did, but it's perfectly reasonable for people to try to find alternatives to capitalism that don't involve mass murder, without thereby being suspected of disliking Britain. Indeed, if we continue on a path of laagering large sections of the population in a hopeless situation with stagnant wages, debt and no prospect of this capital that they hear about, we should not expect a happy outcome for Britain. Something which thoughtful Conservatives actually accept.
    Nigelb said:

In terms of what is public, it goes way beyond balance of probability, but perhaps falls very slightly short of beyond a reasonable doubt ?

Given Russia's reaction after the incident, there can be no reasonable doubt even on the public information.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,073
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

To win 56/59 seats was an astonishing achievement. Scottish Labour had been a tottering edifice for years hollowed out, unloved and neglected but the extent of its demolition was incredible. The Scottish Liberal Democrats were in a similar position. Of course only FPTP could really deliver a result like that in a true democracy. I don't think we will see the like again.

Did you see the article from Pete Wishart?

He seems to be suggesting Indyref2 will require another SNP majority at Holyrood...
    No, but I think that is right (if you include their Green lackeys). And I think that unlikely for the foreseeable future. The Salmond majority at Holyrood was another incredible achievement in a system designed to prevent it. Don't think Nicola is in that class. Largest party but well short of a majority would be my guess this far out.
    still nearly 3 years to go David, lot of water to go under the bridge before then.
    Very true Malcom, very true. But the paint is starting to peel.
    Nigelb said:

AndyJS said:

that's the problem.....if there is even a seed of doubt, the International coalition may fracture..a tweet from you know who, a comment here, a comment there...and May's left looking idiotic....

It just struck me as risky politics to go all gungho thumping that tub and rattling that sabre....at this moment she looks particularly exposed to some serious political damage that is out of her control...we are one misjudgement away from Rees Mogg, god help us....
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,143

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

AndyJS said:

Blue_rog said:

O/T

Couldn't agree more.

Surely they have to take into account the likelihood of a prosecution succeeding? And of putting the elderly accused through the trauma of giving evidence.
    They need to consider as well whether it is in the public interest for there to be a prosecution.
    edited April 2018

Being far left does not mean hating everything about Britain - that's a complete non-sequitur, and IMO is in fact simply false both in general and in his specific case.

They don't hate everything about Britain, just the monarchy, the army, the navy, the RAF, the police, the court system, the City, big business, small traders, farmers, homeowners, the middle classes, successful schools, the best universities, the countryside, and most of our cultural heritage.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,675
    edited April 2018
    tyson said:

@Cyclefree...come on..you sound like a parody of seanT by saying Corbyn hates everything about Britain.....

The left has as much claim on patriotism as the right...it's just expressed in a different way...and granted, both at their extremes can be quite ugly.

Corbyn is obviously on the spectrum, and you are right about his lack of emotional intelligence.. His fascination in trains and drain covers kind of exposes that.

But if he ever got to Govt...there are checks and balances, and constraints and compromises that he would have to make. Since, even at his most extreme, he is only really advocating for a policy shift to the kind of centric, Christian/ Social Democratic consensus they have in Germany. we will not become Venuzuala...

Corbyn's problem as potential prime minister has nothing to do with anti-semitism, meeting Czech spies, Marxism etc. It's his lack of discipline, which is necessary to be the top guy. So he spends passover with a Jewish group that thinks Israel “a steaming pile of sewage which needs to be properly disposed of”. Whatever you think of Israel, the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom needs to deal with that country on realpolitik. Meeting up with people who want to see its destruction is pure indulgence. The Labour manifesto for the last election was a mostly social democratic proposition, but he quickly forgot what he committed to: That's what we said to get elected but it isn't worth a row of beans...
    tyson said:

@Cyclefree...come on..you sound like a parody of seanT by saying Corbyn hates everything about Britain.....

The left has as much claim on patriotism as the right...it's just expressed in a different way...and granted, both at their extremes can be quite ugly.

Corbyn is obviously on the spectrum, and you are right about his lack of emotional intelligence.. His fascination in trains and drain covers kind of exposes that.

But if he ever got to Govt...there are checks and balances, and constraints and compromises that he would have to make. Since, even at his most extreme, he is only really advocating for a policy shift to the kind of centric, Christian/ Social Democratic consensus they have in Germany. we will not become Venuzuala...

Ah but there is no seats on those trains. He told us so and he is an honourable man.
    edited April 2018
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

To win 56/59 seats was an astonishing achievement. Scottish Labour had been a tottering edifice for years hollowed out, unloved and neglected but the extent of its demolition was incredible. The Scottish Liberal Democrats were in a similar position. Of course only FPTP could really deliver a result like that in a true democracy. I don't think we will see the like again.

He seems to be suggesting Indyref2 will require another SNP majority at Holyrood...
    No, but I think that is right (if you include their Green lackeys). And I think that unlikely for the foreseeable future. The Salmond majority at Holyrood was another incredible achievement in a system designed to prevent it. Don't think Nicola is in that class. Largest party but well short of a majority would be my guess this far out.
    still nearly 3 years to go David, lot of water to go under the bridge before then.
    Decorators will be in soon
    PS: major dilemma for Sturgeon, if she does not have another ref whilst they have the majority she could be in big trouble.

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

AndyJS said:

Blue_rog said:

O/T

Couldn't agree more.

How often do they do that for such a serious charge though? Could the family of the deceased then ask for a JR of the decision not to prosecute, causing the accused to incur a large legal bill to defend himself?
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited April 2018
    Turns out the YouTube shooter yesterday was a woman and an animal rights activist.
    edited April 2018

Nigelb said:

Given Russia's reaction after the incident, there can be no reasonable doubt even on the public information.
    If it wasn’t Russia, why are they not going completely mad that someone attempted to murder one of their citizens, an innocent young lady, on British soil?

Instead they’re saying how unfortunate it is that Russian traitors have a habit of getting into “accidents” in Britain. Nudge nudge, wink wink...
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

AndyJS said:

Blue_rog said:

O/T

Couldn't agree more.

I do not think that is the right finding.

The test is twofold. First it asks: "is there sufficient evidence to provide a realistic prospect of conviction against each suspect on each charge"?

The answer to that is, if this story is how we think, at best borderline.

It is only the second test which is about the public interest, and effectively assumes that a crime has indeed been committed because the CPS do not look at the likelihood of conviction again. It asks:

a. How serious is the offence committed?
    b. What is the level of culpability of the suspect?
    c. What are the circumstances of and the harm caused to the victim?
    d. Was the suspect under the age of 18 at the time of the offence?
    e. What is the impact on the community?
    f. Is prosecution a proportionate response?
    g. Do sources of information require protecting?

It is not clear to me, on those factors, that the case would fail to meet the public interest test. Rather, it seems much more likely to fall at the first of the two.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/publication/full-code-test
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

So we have a nerve agent which is a part of a family of nerve agents developed in Russia which, to our knowledge, no one else has, used in an English street on a Russian double agent when with his Russian daughter and it is a story that Porton Down could not identify the origin of the actual molecules?

I mean, really? That's a story? When Porton Down did its job and identified this as Novichok the finger was pointed squarely at Russia. It still is. Absolutely nothing has changed other than some fairly incriminating statements about how residing in the UK is not particularly good for Russian's health.

Pity they had to over egg the pudding and lie so much, instead of choosing their words carefully, but what do you expect when it isabsolute balloons like Boris mouthing off.
    What they said was that it was highly probable that Russia was to blame. All of the NATO and EU countries seem to agree.

Cyclefree said:

So British is he that he seems to hate everything about Britain. Sure he makes jam and has an allotment and is probably fun to chat to in the pub. My son has met him and had a selfie with him and said he was pleasant and polite. But so what? What he gets inspiration from - the Far Left - has caused misery to millions everywhere it has been tried.

For that matter, if we want to be provocative, capitalism has caused misery to millions everywhere it has been tried, and continues to do so. Obviously it doesn't involve large-scale slaughter as Stalinism did, but it's perfectly reasonable for people to try to find alternatives to capitalism that don't involve mass murder, without thereby being suspected of disliking Britain. Indeed, if we continue on a path of laagering large sections of the population in a hopeless situation with stagnant wages, debt and no prospect of this capital that they hear about, we should not expect a happy outcome for Britain. Something which thoughtful Conservatives actually accept.
    I have had a bit of a response back too with Cycle...the problem with using the kind of inflammatory language about the other side..hates Britain, treachery...is that it really does lead us into the slippery slope of ideological sectarianism with all the risks that presents....

Corbyn obviously cares deeply for his fellow Brits....as much as Thatcher did,. and Gordon Brown did, Cameron did.....why would you get involved in politics otherwise? Where we disagree vehemently is in the solutions we propose. I think Brexit is vehemently anti Britain; Brexit supporters think they are championing this Islands...and so forth...
    edited April 2018
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

PS: major dilemma for Sturgeon, if she does not have another ref whilst they have the majority she could be in big trouble.
    She tried pushing another one before the general election and lost almost half her seats as a result
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Australian boxer Taylah Robertson is already guaranteed to win a Commonwealth Games medal - without throwing a punch.

With only seven boxers entered in the women's 51kg category, the 19-year-old received a bye into the semi-finals on Friday, 13 April.

As both losing semi-finalists will win bronze, the teenager will definitely come away with a medal.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/commonwealth-games/43638697
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Recent events make it less rather than more likely that Jeremy Corbyn will step down this year. He will want to make sure that he passes on the baton to someone he approves of ideologically. The more he is under a cloud, the less certain that is.
    Sandpit said:

How often do they do that for such a serious charge though? Could the family of the deceased then ask for a JR of the decision not to prosecute, causing the accused to incur a large legal bill to defend himself?

They can bring a private prosecution, and I suppose in an extreme case a JR. Neither would be cheap though, and it's very uncommon for a CPS decision not to go ahead with a charge to be challenged.

Cyclefree said:

I agree with the second part of this. Capitalism needs to work for people. If it doesn't it is no surprise if people look for alternatives.

But the alternatives which Corbyn has praised for lifting people out of poverty (those that weren't murdered or starved) - including, most recently, on the Marr programme - Mao's China, have involved mass murder. Corbyn should know this and yet he smirked and put it forward as an example and people think that this is OK.

And he has praised Venezuela where people are starving and dying. And his criticisms of Soviet Russia do not centre on the millions slaughtered.

I mean, come off it! Those systems are not an alternative to capitalism, not in any sane world. They are a dystopia and the fact that we have people who like Corbyn and his mini-me Milne think that Soviet Russia and Cuba (because they had a health service - as if that was something unheard of in any other country) are something to be admired and emulated proves how historically and morally stupid they are.

I mean, come off it! The radical tradition Foxy describes is patriotic and British and much to be admired. Marxism / Leninism / Maoism / Stalinism aren't.

edited April 2018
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

What they said was that it was highly probable that Russia was to blame. All of the NATO and EU countries seem to agree.
    From what I saw and read David, Boris out and out lied. He is a major liability.
    PS , He should have been saying exactly what you posted but as ever had to embellish it.
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,797
    Re: DSTL analysis. The Novichok agent itself would be identical whatever source it came from. What would almost certainly vary from laboratory to laboratory is the profile of impurities. The main Novichok don't look to me to be too complex, probably around a 4 step manufacture from off the shelf compounds, with perhaps half a dozen mainstream chemical routes of manufacture available (and some exotic ones), and variables such as reaction conditions, solvent systems, purification methods all of which will affect the impurity profile. Batch to batch will vary, but samples created in the same labs using the same methods will, on average, be more alike than those made under different conditions.

So the questions of attribution at a scientific level would be, have they ever analysed verified Russian samples or have second hand analytical results, do they know anything of the reaction routes and conditions used in Russia and can test the sorts of side reactions that might occur, do they have research exemples or analysis results from other labs (US methods, UK methods) to rule out samples from elsewhere.

None of this will come to a hard and fast answer, and all interrelates with intelligence on the Russian programme, which as I understand it mainly comes from the memory of scientists that have left Russia, and not so much from original lab books or samples. So, we are more likely to be able to rule out other sources than rule in Russia from the science alone.

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

AndyJS said:

Blue_rog said:

O/T

Couldn't agree more.

I do not think that is the right finding.

The test is twofold. First it asks: "is there sufficient evidence to provide a realistic prospect of conviction against each suspect on each charge"?

The answer to that is, if this story is how we think, at best borderline.

It is only the second test which is about the public interest, and effectively assumes that a crime has indeed been committed because the CPS do not look at the likelihood of conviction again. It asks:

a. How serious is the offence committed?
    b. What is the level of culpability of the suspect?
    c. What are the circumstances of and the harm caused to the victim?
    d. Was the suspect under the age of 18 at the time of the offence?
    e. What is the impact on the community?
    f. Is prosecution a proportionate response?
    g. Do sources of information require protecting?

It is not clear to me, on those factors, that the case would fail to meet the public interest test. Rather, it seems much more likely to fall at the first of the two.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/publication/full-code-test
    Sure, I was answering the question about the discretion of the CPS. You're right that the case might not meet the first set of criteria.

Sandpit said:

They can bring a private prosecution, and I suppose in an extreme case a JR. Neither would be cheap though, and it's very uncommon for a CPS decision not to go ahead with a charge to be challenged.
    If you bring a JR, the respondent is the CPS, not the accused, because you are asking the court to review the decision by the CPS not to prosecute.

I am not aware of any case where permission has been granted to bring a private prosecution on a charge of murder, a crime obviously within the purview of the CPS. Indeed, the vast majority of private prosecutions are brought by statutorily authorised bodies, for example the NSPCA.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,213
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

I agree with the second part of this. Capitalism needs to work for people. If it doesn't it is no surprise if people look for alternatives.

But the alternatives which Corbyn has praised for lifting people out of poverty (those that weren't murdered or starved) - including, most recently, on the Marr programme - Mao's China, have involved mass murder. Corbyn should know this and yet he smirked and put it forward as an example and people think that this is OK.

And he has praised Venezuela where people are starving and dying. And his criticisms of Soviet Russia do not centre on the millions slaughtered.

I mean, come off it! Those systems are not an alternative to capitalism, not in any sane world. They are a dystopia and the fact that we have people who like Corbyn and his mini-me Milne think that Soviet Russia and Cuba (because they had a health service - as if that was something unheard of in any other country) are something to be admired and emulated proves how historically and morally stupid they are.

I mean, come off it! The radical tradition Foxy describes is patriotic and British and much to be admired. Marxism / Leninism / Maoism / Stalinism aren't.

Capitalism has lifted hundreds of millions out of absolute poverty over the last 25 years, and continues to do so.

The problem is the stagnation of the wages of the working classes in developed countries, as the consequences of globalisation plays out, but, overall, humans are happier and wealthier than ever before.
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

I agree that is a problem for her. I guess she will push it through Holyrood and then have May say no to create a further grievance. But her position of waiting to see what comes from Brexit is already looking a dangerous hostage to fortune for her.

They don't hate everything about Britain, just the monarchy, the army, the navy, the RAF, the police, the court system, the City, big business, small traders, farmers, homeowners, the middle classes, successful schools, the best universities, the countryside, and most of our cultural heritage.
    And, many (most?) wish to abolish Britain as a nation state entirely in the longer-term.

That's a red flag to a bull to patriotic Britons.

Australian boxer Taylah Robertson is already guaranteed to win a Commonwealth Games medal - without throwing a punch.

With only seven boxers entered in the women's 51kg category, the 19-year-old received a bye into the semi-finals on Friday, 13 April.

As both losing semi-finalists will win bronze, the teenager will definitely come away with a medal.

You'd rather hope that the Commonwealth could put on a better show than only four entrants in the Rock Buns category at the village fete.....

Its things like this that result in people not taking the Commonwealth Games even vaguely seriously. I am very keen on sports but I will not go out of my way to watch it.

AndyJS said:

I have no doubt it was Russia. But, a surprising number of my friends and colleagues (not the majority, just a surprising number) think I'm naive, and want to see the evidence.

Sandpit said:

Thanks for that, was trying to think of the way that results in the least inconvenience to the ‘suspect’ in this case, formally clearing him without tying him up in costs.

Nigelb said:

Arguably so (and like TSE, I'd vote to convict).

But Johnson's carelessness and/or dishonestly has, to extend the metaphor, introduced a scintilla of doubt which a talented defence brief would certainly exploit.

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

For that matter, if we want to be provocative, capitalism has caused misery to millions everywhere it has been tried, and continues to do so. Obviously it doesn't involve large-scale slaughter as Stalinism did, but it's perfectly reasonable for people to try to find alternatives nservatives actually accept.

And he has praised Venezuela where people are starving and dying. And his
    Capitalism has lifted hundreds of millions out of absolute poverty over the last 25 years, and continues to do so.

The problem is the stagnation of the wages of the working classes in developed countries, as the consequences of globalisation plays out, but, overall, humans are happier and wealthier than ever before.
    Yes hundreds of millions of Chinese have left the poverty of the Mao years and moved to the middle class thanks largely to a shift in China from communism to capitalism.

The fact the West now has more competition from a growing Chinese economy means capitalism is less profitable for western workers than it was 50 years ago but a capitalist West is still more profitable for them than a communist West would be
  • Pulpstar said:
    Yup, especially in light of this

Tottenham Hotspur chief executive Daniel Levy received an astonishing jump in pay last year from £2.84 million to more than £6 million.

It is more than double the amount that was received by any other Premier League executive during the previous 2015-16 season and is expected to make him comfortably the highest remunerated director during the 2016-17 accounting year for which Tottenham today published their results.....

....Manager Mauricio Pochettino and star striker Harry Kane are currently understood to be on annual basic wages of between £5.5 million and £6 million, although Tottenham do structure their deals with heavy additional performance bonuses.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/04/03/tottenham-announce-record-revenue-306mdespite-reduced-gate-receipts/

AndyJS said:

I have no doubt it was Russia. But, a surprising number of my friends and colleagues (not the majority, just a surprising number) think I'm naive, and want to see the evidence.
    Corbynistas have more ideologically in common with Putin's government than the current UK government so why would they not refuse to believe it is Russia?
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

I agree that is a problem for her. I guess she will push it through Holyrood and then have May say no to create a further grievance. But her position of waiting to see what comes from Brexit is already looking a dangerous hostage to fortune for her.
    I think she has to wait and see how good/bad Brexit is going to look. Then hope May blocks it.
  • Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

But Johnson's carelessness and/or dishonestly has, to extend the metaphor, introduced a scintilla of doubt which a talented defence brief would certainly exploit.
    I don't think JC has been described as a "talented defence brief" before...

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/981509870791921664
    Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

The evidence is very strong that it was Russians, but I could buy in to a theory that it wasn't Russia but was oligarch on oligarch crime by a rival of Putin's intent on discrediting him.
    But that would be like arguing over whether it was MI5 or MI6 who poisoned somebody in Moscow with a type of nerve agent only made in Porton Down. Given the oligarchs are the power in Russia, then if they either can't control or else choose to use nerve agents outside their borders, then we can't be faulted for saying it was still the actions of the Russian state in its current incarnation.

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

I don't think JC has been described as a "talented defence brief" before...

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/981509870791921664
    And still hasn't.
  • "A steady patriot of the world alone, The friend of every country but his own."

George Canning
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

I think she has to wait and see how good/bad Brexit is going to look. Then hope May blocks it.
    The transition period ends in December 2020.

The next Holyrood elections are in May 2021 and on current polling will produce a Unionist majority anyway

AndyJS said:

Evidence that will be along shortly, just as soon as Russia opens up its labs to testing...
    edited April 2018

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Absolutely, there’s never been fewer actually poor people in the world than there are right now. Capitalism in China is one of mankind’s greatest ever achievements.

Stagnation of wages in certain sectors of rich countries is a problem that needs careful consideration, but there’s no easy solution.

One proposed solution that clearly isn’t, is Corbyn’s Venezuela-style communism. That only ever ends up one way.
    https://twitter.com/AEI/status/937380169375010816
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,222
    edited April 2018
    The present issue over Novichok and Russia's involvement has not been compromised by the CEO of Porton Down if you listen to his statement which confirmed it is Novichok, a military grade nerve agent only deliverable by a state, but he went on to say that the source needs to be identified by drawing on other information available to the Government.

It was the media and in particular Sky who sensationalized the statement and have continued to do so today.

However, with apologies to Malc and TSE, it is clear that Boris erred and it is just stupid that the FO have had to delete a tweet. I (and yes I am going to say this) agree with Corbyn that he has egg on his face and it again confirms why I will never vote Boris to lead our Party.

Clearly there are many who see this an opportunity to get at Boris, with some justification, but I suspect it is as much to do with their attitude to Boris v Brexit

I would say that there is no way this has come from anywhere else other than Russia but the statement from Porton Down as portrayed by Sky and others and Boris's stupidity has not been helpful.

Ultimately Russian actions in Ukraine, annexation of Crimea, interference in US and Brexit together with complicity with gas attacks in Syria means that the International pressure on Russia must not be allowed to be reduced in any way

Pulpstar said:

Tottenham Hotspur chief executive Daniel Levy received an astonishing jump in pay last year from £2.84 million to more than £6 million.

It is more than double the amount that was received by any other Premier League executive during the previous 2015-16 season and is expected to make him comfortably the highest remunerated director during the 2016-17 accounting year for which Tottenham today published their results.....

....Manager Mauricio Pochettino and star striker Harry Kane are currently understood to be on annual basic wages of between £5.5 million and £6 million, although Tottenham do structure their deals with heavy additional performance bonuses.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/04/03/tottenham-announce-record-revenue-306mdespite-reduced-gate-receipts/
    The money in football is obscene but the money Levy has made his club in ramping up transfer fees will cover that several times over.
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,273
    Theresa must be livid. We all agreed that the Salisbury saga had the potential to be her Falklands moment, but Boris's loose lips have come along and possibly ruined it. The worst part, from her perspective, is that it's made Jezza look calm and scrupulous - the absolute last thing she needs to take hold in the public psyche.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,549

Theresa must be livid. We all agreed that the Salisbury saga had the potential to be her Falklands moment, but Boris's loose lips have come along and possibly ruined it. The worst part, from her perspective, is that it's made Jezza look calm and scrupulous - the absolute last thing she needs to take hold in the public psyche.

Nah Corbyn still looks like a parrot spouting Russia BS.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,311

You sound like an SWP leaflet about the Tories. Speaking for myself, I come from an Army/Navy family which I'm proud of, I've worked in senior management of a big mutlinational and also run two successful small companies, I've got a PhD from London, and I live in the countryside. (But I agree that our pizzas are rubbish - not enough pineapple and anchovies.)

Moving beyond samples of 1, all political traditions have the usual mixtures of attitudes and motives, and it's simply a lazy mistake to think that our various beliefs tell you anything about them.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,960
    Mr. Repington, welcome to PB.

It has changed absolutely nothing in political terms.

Corbynistas will still believe Corbyn is the new Buddah and excuse Russia of any responsibility, Tories and centrists will still be in no doubt it was anybody but Russia behind the attack

Nope. Still made Corbyn look like a Russian stooge.

Nobody has come up with a plausible Scenario B.
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

Seems a fair summary.

Boris probably assumed that his spell as ForSec would be an audition for the big chair. Hasn't exactly worked out that way for him.

The problem is the stagnation of the wages of the working classes in developed countries,

@Casino

it's not just stagnation....it's extreme inequality that is plaguing western economies. Politicians talk austerity...yet people with assets, portfolios, property...have become much wealthier over these last years for doing very little.

The Tories are beginning to cotton on to the fact that the Govt needs to intervene in markets more. Unfettered capitalism brings on SportsDirect and Philip Green plundering pensions....as well as causing untold environmental destruction. Wealth rather than income needs to be taxed more and distributed. The next Tory manifesto is going to be the most leftward of any in recent memory...to the left of Ed Miliband....as the Tories fight Labour on populist left territory.
  • +1
    malcolmg said:

Elliot said:

We will have to see what details emerged, but I think it is entirely reasonable for a 78-year old man to use a weapon against an intruder in his house.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-43639183

Perfectly acceptable and self defence by an man twice the age of the creep threatening his life.
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

The next Holyrood elections are in May 2021 and on current polling will produce a Unionist majority anyway
    We will know how bad it is by end of this year, also whether Tories will keep the devolution powers they stole, etc , etc. plenty of time to get it done 2019-2020
    Boris' claim was daft. Here's what he *should* have said.

"Porton Down has made clear the agent is indeed Novichok, and our intelligence sources confirm this can only have come from Russia".
    tyson said:

The problem is the stagnation of the wages of the working classes in developed countries,

@Casino

it's not just stagnation....it's extreme inequality that is plaguing western economies. Politicians talk austerity...yet people with assets, portfolios, property...have become much wealthier over these last years for doing very little.

The Tories are beginning to cotton on to the fact that the Govt needs to intervene in markets more. Unfettered capitalism brings on SportsDirect and Philip Green plundering pensions....as well as causing untold environmental destruction. Wealth rather than income needs to be taxed more and distributed. The next Tory manifesto is going to be the most leftward of any in recent memory...to the left of Ed Miliband....as the Tories fight Labour on populist left territory.

The Tories are certainly not going to tax wealth more, half the reason they lost their majority last time was the disastrous dementia tax plan.

They are pushing more housebuilding and let us not forget it was Osborne who increased the minimum wage
  • Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814
    edited April 2018

Cyclefree said:

Sorry to go off topic so soon but in response to this comment by Mr Meeks on the previous thread -

“This morning has consisted largely of Leavers choosing to ignore an inconvenient poll finding. Roughly a quarter of the population believe that the referendum was won by cheating. That has big implications for the democratic process.”

I agree. But what to do?

Very little. It's the fate of being on the losing side, unexpectedly, in a close referendum that provides much of the ammunition for that.

It would be interesting, as well, to break down how much of that perception of "cheating" is down to perceived financial advantage, versus perceived unfair campaigning techniques, such as the £350m bus.

I think the former is a red herring, whereas I do think the £350m for the NHS bus had an impact even though I'd never call it cheating myself.
    The £350m certainly won't be cheating if that is somewhere near where the number ends up by 2022....

It woul certainly be one way to unravel the Remainers' cry of "cheats!!".
    We don't send £350 million per week to the EU and never have.
    That's a pure and simple fact. I find it strange that anyone still tries to say we do.

If we find £350 million per week extra for the NHS, a big chunk of it was money we were always going to have to send however we wanted.
    The correct number was £288 million a week. Such a large number that I always wondered why Leave chose to go with the £350 million. They could have gone with the real number and it would still have had the same impact without any of the consequences of being labelled dishonest

I understood that the point was to have a dishonest number larger than the real number but still within a close order of magnitude of it - to provoke the other campaign to go on about it and ensure maximum cut-through and have a "big number versus big number - even the Remain side are saying it's a big number" theme.
    Deliberately dishonest, true, but clever. A move towards Trumpian methods, but not all the way there.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,549

Indeed, even the Russians aren't trying to promote a plausible alternative explanation. Instead we have had a succession of BS from them to muddy the water, undisguised glee on social media and TV, and finally some belated pretence of concern for the attempted murder of one of their citizens.
    edited April 2018
    Andrew said:

Seems a fair summary.

Boris probably assumed that his spell as ForSec would be an audition for the big chair. Hasn't exactly worked out that way for him.
    For most Tories or potential Tories Boris' claim that Russia was responsible is irrefutable.

Left of centre voters and hard-core Remainers are dissing Boris but they would never vote Tory at the next general election anyway nor for a Boris led Tory Party regardless of what he said
  • TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

AndyJS said:

That's where blairism has taken us.

Sandpit said:

If you bring a JR, the respondent is the CPS, not the accused, because you are asking the court to review the decision by the CPS not to prosecute.

I am not aware of any case where permission has been granted to bring a private prosecution on a charge of murder, a crime obviously within the purview of the CPS. Indeed, the vast majority of private prosecutions are brought by statutorily authorised bodies, for example the NSPCA.
    Didn't Stephen Lawrence's parents bring a private prosecution? It failed, which was why the law had to be changed to permit - in specific circumstances - someone being tried again for the same crime, having previously been acquitted.
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

We will know how bad it is by end of this year, also whether Tories will keep the devolution powers they stole, etc , etc. plenty of time to get it done 2019-2020
    The transition period means we are effectively in the EU in all but name until 2021 and the next Holyrood elections
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    Pulpstar said:

"Porton Down has made clear the agent is indeed Novichok, and our intelligence sources confirm this can only have come from Russia".

Very little turns on this. Most voters think Russia was responsible; the cranks think that Mossad/MI6/Lizards did it.
    Pulpstar said:

Well quite, but those who want to have a go at Boris have really chosen the wrong subject here.

The government worked bloody hard to get the international reaction that they did to the Salisbury attack, and now certain idiots in the media are working with Corbyn to run Putin’s agenda.
  • Ray Wilkins has died
  • Ray Wilkins dies - great fooballer and gentleman - RIP
    Pulpstar said:

Which to the average man on the street is virtually indistinguishable from what he actually said
    glw said:

Indeed, even the Russians aren't trying to promote a plausible alternative explanation. Instead we have had a succession of BS from them to muddy the water, undisguised glee on social media and TV, and finally some belated pretence of concern for the attempted murder of one of their citizens.
    "Concern" - if you think Don Corleone bringing you a bunch of flowers after his goons missed you first time around is "Concern"!
    Pulpstar said:

He just cannot help grandstanding
  • DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

The money in football is obscene but the money Levy has made his club in ramping up transfer fees will cover that several times over.
    Fine with this - Levy has been a class act - it also should help he loosens the strings to keep our key players (and manager) I would hope too given this.... of course if he doesn't and they walk, then he's in for a LOT of grief from the fans. Would be madness to do so though as we move to such a large stadium and will need to fill it with their expensive season tickets.

Cyclefree said:

Sorry to go off topic so soon but in response to this comment by Mr Meeks on the previous thread -

“This morning has consisted largely of Leavers choosing to ignore an inconvenient poll finding. Roughly a quarter of the population believe that the referendum was won by cheating. That has big implications for the democratic process.”

I agree. But what to do?

Very little. It's the fate of being on the losing side, unexpectedly, in a close referendum that provides much of the ammunition for that.

It would be interesting, as well, to break down how much of that perception of "cheating" is down to perceived financial advantage, versus perceived unfair campaigning techniques, such as the £350m bus.

I think the former is a red herring, whereas I do think the £350m for the NHS bus had an impact even though I'd never call it cheating myself.
    The £350m certainly won't be cheating if that is somewhere near where the number ends up by 2022....

It woul certainly be one way to unravel the Remainers' cry of "cheats!!".
    We don't send £350 million per week to the EU and never have.
    That's a pure and simple fact. I find it strange that anyone still tries to say we do.

If we find £350 million per week extra for the NHS, a big chunk of it was money we were always going to have to send however we wanted.

I understood that the point was to have a dishonest number larger than the real number but still within a close order of magnitude of it - to provoke the other campaign to go on about it and ensure maximum cut-through and have a "big number versus big number - even the Remain side are saying it's a big number" theme.
    Deliberately dishonest, true, but clever. A move towards Trumpian methods, but not all the way there.
    And yet, we may still have a Very Large Number (perhaps nearer to £288m a week, but maybe yet heading towards £350m) added to the NHS budget by the time of the next election. So who will look dishonest then?
  • HYUFD said:

Andrew said:

Seems a fair summary.

For most Tories or potential Tories Boris' claim that Russia was responsible is irrefutable.

Left of centre voters and hard-core Remainers are dissing Boris but they would never vote Tory at the next general election anyway nor for a Boris led Tory Party regardless of what he said
    Boris is not on my list for next leader and never will be
    Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Didn't Stephen Lawrence's parents bring a private prosecution? It failed, which was why the law had to be changed to permit - in specific circumstances - someone being tried again for the same crime, having previously been acquitted.
    Supposedly the first such prosecution

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/first-private-prosecution-for-murder-3-held-1616684.html

I don't know if the law on PP has changed, but the CPS quote there: "If the family wishes to pursue a private prosecution it is up to them." is definitely not an accurate statement of the law as it now is.
    edited April 2018

HYUFD said:

Andrew said:

Seems a fair summary.

Boris is not on my list for next leader and never will be
    Maybe not but 8 out of 10 of the top 10 Tory target seats from Labour they need for a majority next time are Labour Leave seats and you were a Remainer
  • malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

He just cannot help grandstanding
    Hi Maic - did you see my apology to you at 1.49
    Considering football is an entertainment business and Levy has driven Spurs forward his £6m renumeration doesn't seem excessive to me.
    Harry Kane is definitely underpaid on any meaningful metric mind.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited April 2018
    O/T

"Four members of a British family were killed in a “violent” crash while on holiday in Florida when their satnav told them to do a U-turn.
    The satnav in the vehicle told Mr Stephenson to do a U-turn at a junction due to another crash as he drove back to a property in Davenport where the family were staying.
    Deputy Chief Todd Hutchinson, of Titusville Police Department, said the satnav showed they had been re-routed as a result of an earlier collision.
    He said: "The GPS had indicated for them to make a U-turn at that intersection which was an illegal U-turn unfortunately and violated the right of way of the pick-up truck.”"

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/pictured-british-family-of-four-killed-in-florida-when-their-satnav-told-them-to-do-a-uturn-on-a3805191.html
This discussion has been closed.