Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Just under nine months to go for Toby Young to win his £15,000

13»

Comments

• Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Anazina said:

Danny565 said:

edb said:

It might have been a lucky break that he just happened to get invited to a really ideal event by the perfect group to upset the media's preferred narrative. But he seems to have that kind of luck surprisingly often. Maybe he's not just brighter than he appears, but a great deal brighter.

I don't think he's bright at all, but his more vocal opponents seem to be remarkably thick, to have such a strong hand and yet overplay it repeatedly with over-the-top attacks. If you are going to directly accuse someone of being a Czech spy, or personally anti-semitic, etc. etc. then it's really important that the accusation is not demonstrably false. Competent politicians deliver these smears via constant off-the-record briefings, not all-out attack, for a reason.
    I honestly don't think anything is going to top "Corbyn is antisemitic because he spent Passover with Jews" for a long time. The Daily Mash would've dismissed such an idea for a spoof.
    There does seem to be a herd mentality among our Conservative friends on here. They don’t know when to stop. Irritating, overused one-liners like ‘unspoofable’ backfire daily.
    Unspoofable
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Sean_F said:

kingbongo said:

ydoethur said:

This is the Lord of Reason, and this you need to consider.

There is nothing in all years of Cold War remotely equivalent to the crime committed by Putins regime in Salisbury in 2018.

I think Georgi Markov might disagree with that...
    I was lucky enough once to read the Special Branch file about Markov - terrifyingly brutal and yet less reckless than Salisbury - it was at least aimed directly, and only at one person.
    I've seen the umbrella.
    Mary Poppins?
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Hard to see a way back for City without an away goal. Liverpool more than capable of sneaking one at Eastlands with City having to leave massive gaps at the back.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    kingbongo said:

ydoethur said:

There is nothing in all years of Cold War remotely equivalent to the crime committed by Putins regime in Salisbury in 2018.

I was lucky enough once to read the Special Branch file about Markov - terrifyingly brutal and yet less reckless than Salisbury - it was at least aimed directly, and only at one person.
    It's still comparable.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Anazina said:

Danny565 said:

edb said:

It might have been a lucky break that he just happened to get invited to a really ideal event by the perfect group to upset the media's preferred narrative. But he seems to have that kind of luck surprisingly often. Maybe he's not just brighter than he appears, but a great deal brighter.

I don't think he's bright at all, but his more vocal opponents seem to be remarkably thick, to have such a strong hand and yet overplay it repeatedly with over-the-top attacks. If you are going to directly accuse someone of being a Czech spy, or personally anti-semitic, etc. etc. then it's really important that the accusation is not demonstrably false. Competent politicians deliver these smears via constant off-the-record briefings, not all-out attack, for a reason.
    I honestly don't think anything is going to top "Corbyn is antisemitic because he spent Passover with Jews" for a long time. The Daily Mash would've dismissed such an idea for a spoof.
    There does seem to be a herd mentality among our Conservative friends on here. They don’t know when to stop. Irritating, overused one-liners like ‘unspoofable’ backfire daily.
    Unspoofable
    QED
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Anazina said:

Danny565 said:

edb said:

Hammer meets nail.
  • Options
    edbedb Posts: 65
    A really good response to Russia would be if if Mr Skripal recovers and is willing to do an endless heavily armoured media tour telling the world uncomfortable home truths about Putin. Lot of ifs.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Anazina said:

Danny565 said:

edb said:

If you're backfiring daily, you may need to change your diet.

• Options
    Another fatal stabbing tonight in Hackney
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kingbongo said:

ydoethur said:

It's still comparable.
    Definitely comparable. And yet from memory I don't remember feeling or hearing the same outrage back then. In fact I seem to remember some comedian offering 'Bulgarian Brolly' awards to people he didn't like a little while later. Perhaps the Cold War made it feel sort of justifiable in a strange way?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109

ydoethur said:

kingbongo said:

ydoethur said:

It's still comparable.
    Definitely comparable. And yet from memory I don't remember feeling or hearing the same outrage back then. In fact I seem to remember some comedian offering 'Bulgarian Brolly' awards to people he didn't like a little while later. Perhaps the Cold War made it feel sort of justifiable in a strange way?
    It was also a gag in Yes Prime Minister. I think as you say the Cold War lent some gallows humour to it. After all it was assumed they were just the first victims in a war that would kill us all. Even Litvenenko was a logical target given he was a continuing thorn in Putin's flesh. The attack on the Skripals was just shockingly unexpected given Skripal had been exchanged and therefore in theory pardoned.

Incidentally is anyone else having trouble loading comments?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Danny565 said:

edb said:

Except that isn't what people were saying is it.

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077

It’s getting ridiculous now. Wtf is happening?

• Options
    Floater said:

Danny565 said:

edb said:

Have a look online. A lot of people are saying it.
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534
    2200 news tonight. BBC measured for once. ITV & Sky sounding like Putin apologist's. Do any of the cretins at Sky and ITV want the UK to reveal what is fully known & expose our secret asset's? Certainly seems that way.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    Haven't been keeping up with the news today.

Why is #SackBoris trending on Twitter?
  • Options

It’s getting ridiculous now. Wtf is happening?

It is alarming and spreading real fear in communities, though I heard earlier that the communities are not providing information to the police
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/04/04/us-national-guard-deployed-mexico-border-immediately/

Just seen that

Floater said:

Danny565 said:

edb said:

Corbynistas keep saying it - like a lot of things they say it just happens not to be the truth
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Isn’t it every day?
  • Options
    saddo said:

2200 news tonight. BBC measured for once. ITV & Sky sounding like Putin apologist's. Do any of the cretins at Sky and ITV want the UK to reveal what is fully known & expose our secret asset's? Certainly seems that way.

BBC have been measured for a while but Sky has been pathetic recently both with Brexit and now this. Not sure if it is policy or just poor journalism. I rarely watch ITV but on the odd occasion they do seem to follow the Sky playbook
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Danny565 said:

edb said:

Meanwhile in the real world, Corbyn himself concedes that he has a serious anti-semitism problem, and is clearly rattled: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/apr/04/jeremy-corbyn-jewish-leaders-antisemitism-talks-labour

and the BBC spin on the (I agree, neither here nor there) Jewdas thing is the headline "Labour anti-Semitism row: Corbyn defends appearance at Jewdas event."

I don't want to sound unduly hurtful, but on your efforts to date I am inclined to classify you in the "useful idiot, without the useful bit" subcategory of Labour supporters.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited April 2018
    Man killed in Hackney stabbing

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-43649193

It was fascinating segment on the Radio Daily Mirror this morning, where various community types blamed everybody but the individuals, one even said we need to get past blaming people...but its all Mrs May fault, but not Khan, despite them saying one reason was a decrease in police on the beat...which has occurred since Khan had been mayor.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    GIN1138 said:

I remember the days when #SackCameron was a daily twitter trend...
  • Options
    Floater said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/04/04/us-national-guard-deployed-mexico-border-immediately/

Just seen that

Floater said:

Danny565 said:

edb said:

Corbynistas keep saying it - like a lot of things they say it just happens not to be the truth
    Well I don't know who these Corbynistas you are talking about are, or what untrue things you have discovered them saying. But you have to admit that attending a passover celebration is not behaviour that would not normally attract the charge of antisemitism.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,977
    Anazina said:

Danny565 said:

edb said:

See also "useful idiot". A phrase that's acontextually overused here to a ridiculous degree.
This discussion has been closed.