Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The latest PB/Polling Matters podcast

Comments

• CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074

Not so long ago, the Tory party knew that — no matter how bleak the national picture — there were parts of the capital that would always remain blue. Westminster, Kensington and Chelsea, Wandsworth — these boroughs were the jewels in the Conservative crown. Even at the height of Tony Blair’s popularity, the party held on to them. Campaigning in their smarter postcodes was considered almost déclassé.

But this year, the Tories are in the fight of a lifetime to keep hold of every one of the nine councils they control. For many ministers, the working assumption is that the city is about to be painted red. As one cabinet minister puts it: ‘There is only one word to describe the party in London: screwed.’

For an idea of how bad things look, consider the Tory peer and psephologist Robert Hayward’s recent projection that the Conservatives will lose about 100 council seats of their 612, which would be a worse result than in 1994, just a few years before Tony Blair’s first landslide.

That the Prime Minister recently chose to sit down with her nemesis George Osborne, in his role as editor of the Evening Standard, is a tell-tale sign of the depth of her concern.

The extent of the panic among London Conservatives has been so great that they have been considering a drastic step. Over the past year, a series of meetings has been held at venues including Tory HQ. On the agenda was a radical idea: that London’s Tories should formally break away from the national party and become a separate entity with their own brand and leader, like the Scottish Tories under Ruth Davidson. It would create clear water between them and a national party that, in the words of one insider, is becoming ‘very provincial’ under Theresa May.

If the Conservatives want to know where their problems start in London all they need to do is to look at how levels of home ownership have changed during the last 20 years.

And after that have a look at how levels of student debt have changed in the last twenty years.

Until they have policies which reverse those two trends instead of exacerbating them (as for example George Osborne did) then they will continue to decline in London irrespective of whatever gimmicks they come up with.
    I’m not sure what the Tories can do about London without becoming a totally different party.

Home ownership and demographics are poor for them, and getting worse.
    Historically, they've been the party of home ownership and aspiration. Perhaps they could try becoming that again.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Hon how pb’s Leavers laughed when I tried to convey just how alienated London was from the government because of Brexit.
    " This is Radio Free Islington calling ... "

I'm expecting 200+ gains for the LibDems in London if the election is all about Brexit.

And I'm hoping to see the London Independence Party make an appearnace.
    Labour is the anti-Brexit party of choice. Conservatives can protest till they’re blue in the face that doesn’t make sense, but it is.
    So in Labour against LibDem battles in boroughs like Islington, Haringay, Lambeth and Southwark Labour are the anti-Brexit party of choice.

Well its a point of view ...

Its all about Brexit apparently except where it isn't.
    Things have moved on a lot since 2010.

Islington really isn't a Labour against Lib Dem battle. The sole non-Labour councillor is Green. The Greens also came a distant second in the vote share last time. The Lib Dems came fourth in Lambeth with no seats.

In Haringey and Southwark, the Lib Dems are indeed a distant second, but not in any sense that would call them battlegrounds.

Any Conservative analysis of why it is doing so terribly in London that doesn't mention Brexit is just self-deluding nonsense.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:
    Nice story except GDPR is a bureaucratic nightmare that is going to cost us hundreds of millions in additional paperwork for minimal benefit. The abolition of implied consent means that I am no longer entitled to assume that the solicitor who sends me papers has the authority of the person or persons whose private information is in the papers. So I will need to have express authority from the clients in every case to do the work the solicitor is asking me to do, I will need to have a system for keeping the record of that consent, I will have to check that consent to raise an action also covers an appeal, I will need to have policies for the retention of that documentation and I will need to have policies for disposal within "a reasonable period" of the information. All of this to address a completely non existent problem.
    Every solicitor already does the vast majority of that. The bar has a problem largely because of its continued insistence that its members have no relationship, contractual or otherwise, with their Instructing Solicitors' clients. That has been a myth for some time.

First they take away my quill, then they tell me not to use Latin in the Courts, and now this. I am involved in the implementation of GDPR for the Scottish bar and it is going to cost a lot of money and time to comply. And where is the benefit from all this paperwork? I really don't see it.
    It is the start of proper regulation for the data industry.

Those people who use data to do other things (pretty much everyone else) is on the outer rim.
    And as usual with the EU (at least the way the UK interprets it, we are our own worst enemies in this regard) in seeking to regulate one area they cause a bureaucratic nightmare for everyone else boosting costs and reducing our competitiveness. Its certainly not something for @Scott_P to be boasting about.
    The jump for some people will be much larger than for others.

But the fact is the current regulation is woeful. The world is very different from 20 years ago.

If we wait another ten years, it will be further still.

Facebook and Google, and the rest, need this. For the rest of us it is a necessary burden, because we are not just users of data, we are the data subjects elsewhere.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967
    ydoethur said:

The extent of the panic among London Conservatives has been so great that they have been considering a drastic step. Over the past year, a series of meetings has been held at venues including Tory HQ. On the agenda was a radical idea: that London’s Tories should formally break away from the national party and become a separate entity with their own brand and leader, like the Scottish Tories under Ruth Davidson. It would create clear water between them and a national party that, in the words of one insider, is becoming ‘very provincial’ under Theresa May.

A local party for a city representing less than 10% of the population led by a London MP or mayoral candidate, say Zac Goldsmith?

Brilliant idea! What could possibly go wrong...
    Even better would be George Osborne.

His policies of higher house prices and higher student debt could well be the things to inspire more young Londoners to vote ... Labour.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    F1: just browsing idly, but the special on Williams not to score in the five races at 3.75 (Ladbrokes) has collapsed to 1.9. Must've seen quite a bit of cash go on it. Makes me wonder if they might be value at Monaco/Azerbaijan.
  • Any Conservative analysis of why it is doing so terribly in London that doesn't mention Brexit is just self-deluding nonsense.

I would agree with you on this Alastair
  • Too many twitter accounts makes a...

https://twitter.com/NeilGarratt/status/981815569002500097
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,772
    Cyclefree said:

Not so long ago, the Tory party knew that — no matter how bleak the national picture — there were parts of the capital that would always remain blue. Westminster, Kensington and Chelsea, Wandsworth — these boroughs were the jewels in the Conservative crown. Even at the height of Tony Blair’s popularity, the party held on to them. Campaigning in their smarter postcodes was considered almost déclassé.

But this year, the Tories are in the fight of a lifetime to keep hold of every one of the nine councils they control. For many ministers, the working assumption is that the city is about to be painted red. As one cabinet minister puts it: ‘There is only one word to describe the party in London: screwed.’

For an idea of how bad things look, consider the Tory peer and psephologist Robert Hayward’s recent projection that the Conservatives will lose about 100 council seats of their 612, which would be a worse result than in 1994, just a few years before Tony Blair’s first landslide.

That the Prime Minister recently chose to sit down with her nemesis George Osborne, in his role as editor of the Evening Standard, is a tell-tale sign of the depth of her concern.

If the Conservatives want to know where their problems start in London all they need to do is to look at how levels of home ownership have changed during the last 20 years.

And after that have a look at how levels of student debt have changed in the last twenty years.

Until they have policies which reverse those two trends instead of exacerbating them (as for example George Osborne did) then they will continue to decline in London irrespective of whatever gimmicks they come up with.
    I’m not sure what the Tories can do about London without becoming a totally different party.

Historically, they've been the party of home ownership and aspiration. Perhaps they could try becoming that again.
    Quite.
    Cyclefree said:

blockquote>

More and more of London is like the old central part of it - the red core. Ultimately the Tories can do better on housing - I feel very strongly about it personally - but the long term trend is still inescapable. It would only be shifted were the population of London to stop growing.
  • DavidL said:

And as usual with the EU (at least the way the UK interprets it, we are our own worst enemies in this regard) in seeking to regulate one area they cause a bureaucratic nightmare for everyone else boosting costs and reducing our competitiveness. Its certainly not something for @Scott_P to be boasting about.

GDPR was described to me in the same way as MiFID II, a solution looking for a problem.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

F1: just browsing idly, but the special on Williams not to score in the five races at 3.75 (Ladbrokes) has collapsed to 1.9. Must've seen quite a bit of cash go on it. Makes me wonder if they might be value at Monaco/Azerbaijan.

Any way to lay that? It wasn’t value at 3.75.

Hon how pb’s Leavers laughed when I tried to convey just how alienated London was from the government because of Brexit.

I'm expecting 200+ gains for the LibDems in London if the election is all about Brexit.

Labour is the anti-Brexit party of choice. Conservatives can protest till they’re blue in the face that doesn’t make sense, but it is.
    So in Labour against LibDem battles in boroughs like Islington, Haringay, Lambeth and Southwark Labour are the anti-Brexit party of choice.

Islington really isn't a Labour against Lib Dem battle. The sole non-Labour councillor is Green. The Greens also came a distant second in the vote share last time. The Lib Dems came fourth in Lambeth with no seats.

In Haringey and Southwark, the Lib Dems are indeed a distant second, but not in any sense that would call them battlegrounds.

In which case people have nothing to lose in voting LibDem if Brexit is their key issue.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765

Any Conservative analysis of why it is doing so terribly in London that doesn't mention Brexit is just self-deluding nonsense.

In Inner London (72% Remain) I'd agree with you. Outer London (54% Remain) not so much.
    Mr. Sandpit, no. Although if they reflect that thinking in their prices for the forthcoming races, as I said, there might be value in backing Williams for a point at Monaco/Azerbaijan. Have to be tasty odds, but could happen.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,772

DavidL said:

GDPR was described to me in the same way as MiFID II, a solution looking for a problem.
    That's exactly the way I see it. I agree with @TheWhiteRabbit that the likes of Google, Facebook and even Amazon need to be regulated to stop them exploiting us more than is reasonable but why it has to be applied to everyone else is beyond me.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712

Even Cameron failed to win London in 2015 despite winning an overall majority.

London is at UK general elections for the Tories like New York state is for the Republicans at presidential elections, a left liberal stronghold.

That does not mean the Tories cannot win a few seats in London much as the GOP still has a few congressmen in New York nor that the Tories cannot occasionally win the London Mayoralty much as the GOP sometimes win last the New York city Mayoralty but it is small towns and market towns and provincial suburbs largely in the Midlands which will decide the next general election, not London.

London stopped being a swing region after 1997
    edited April 2018

Mr. Sandpit, no. Although if they reflect that thinking in their prices for the forthcoming races, as I said, there might be value in backing Williams for a point at Monaco/Azerbaijan. Have to be tasty odds, but could happen.

That’s a shame. Although not as much of a shame as having to work Sunday and turn down a trip to Bahrain.

Baku has every chance of being a repeat of the demolition derby it was last year, and Monaco, well its Monaco.

In which case people have nothing to lose in voting LibDem if Brexit is their key issue.
    They’re simply not seen as relevant. Labour is perceived as being the more Remain-friendly of the two main parties and will pick up votes accordingly.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    currystar said:

The majority of London is now a foreign country
    In London we are living in the future.
    Obviously it looks foreign if you’re living in the past.
    A nominal rise of 2% in London, or a fall in real terms of a little under 1%. Not exactly £100 grand off, though even the Guardian must accept that it was focussing on a very expensive (psf) part of the market
    Jacob Rees Mogg again tops the Conservative Home Tory members poll for next Tory leader on 19%.

Gove is second on 17%, Boris third on 12%, Rudd fourth on 7% and Hunt fifth on 6%

https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2018/04/rees-mogg-tops-our-next-tory-leader-survey-for-the-third-month-running.html
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765

Miss Cyclefree, via Twitter, I've read that Khan and Labour have been sending out leaflets essentially calling on European citizens to punish the Conservatives. No idea if it'll be an effective strategy but it won't exactly help to heal divisions.

Mr. F, interesting. Distribution is, of course vital (as we've seen with UKIP/Green success, or not, at General Elections).

Distribution of votes is key. The Conservatives in 2017 won 9 London seats that they lost to Labour in 1997, despite being further behind Labour. Richmond, Kingston, Sutton, Wandsworth, Barnet, Harrow, Havering, Bexley and Bromley are a lot better for the Conservatives than 20 years ago.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043
    HYUFD said:

Jacob Rees Mogg again tops the Conservative Home Tory members poll for next Tory leader on 19%.

Gove is second on 17%, Boris third on 12%, Rudd fourth on 7% and Hunt fifth on 6%

https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2018/04/rees-mogg-tops-our-next-tory-leader-survey-for-the-third-month-running.html

Let's hope May isn't going anywhere soon.

They’re simply not seen as relevant. Labour is perceived as being the more Remain-friendly of the two main parties and will pick up votes accordingly.
    Brexit is the big issue but that means not voting for the anti-Brexit party ....

BTW do the London Leavers you know also feel like they're living in an 'occupied city' ?

After all if you're in a room with three other people from Islington one of them is likely to have voted Leave or on a Greater London basis if you're in a room with four other Londoners two of them are likely to have voted Leave.

Are they considered collaborators ?
    Mr. Sandpit, the safety car is faster this year. But then, so are the cars. It may be worth trying to assess who can best get the heat into their tyres, and who fails utterly in that regard, in case there's a safety car nonsense as per last year.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,959
    edited April 2018

currystar said:

I don't like the murder rate of the future.

I'll stay in the distant past of Devon, if that's alright?

A nominal rise of 2% in London, or a fall in real terms of a little under 1%. Not exactly £100 grand off, though even the Guardian must accept that it was focussing on a very expensive (psf) part of the market
    Let me guess the Guardian was reporting what an estate agent was saying ?

That is not true in many areas e.g. in Richmond Park, Montgomeryshire, Bath, St Ives, Cheltenham, Lewes, Eastbourne, Oxfordshire, Cumbria, North Norfolk etc it is the LDs who are the main alternative to the Tories and in areas like Sheffield and Cambridge and Southwark it is the LDs who are the main alternative to Labour

Let me guess the Guardian was reporting what an estate agent was saying ?
    Probably.

Easy to use tool here:

http://landregistry.data.gov.uk/app/ukhpi/browse?from=2013-02-01&location=http://landregistry.data.gov.uk/id/region/london&to=2018-02-01

HYUFD said:

She stays until the end of the transition period in my view at least

HYUFD said:

Even if there were a leadership election tomorrow I wouldn't take that poll as much of an indication.
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Tory voters leaving the city (white flight) for greener pastures is pretty irreparable.

The leafy shires where they all commute in from are still solid blue though - London is now a place where rich people go to work and shop - but decreasingly don't live once they grow up.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069

currystar said:

The sa May.

The murder rate of the future is not so bad as the past:

https://twitter.com/pgreenfielduk/status/980774867271331840?s=19

currystar said:

London looks more like NYC of 20 years ago.

Mr. Sandpit, the safety car is faster this year. But then, so are the cars. It may be worth trying to assess who can best get the heat into their tyres, and who fails utterly in that regard, in case there's a safety car nonsense as per last year.

That’s an interesting idea. The new SC is apparently 5-7” a lap quicker than the old one (it’s an AMG GT-R rather than an AMG GT-S) but will still be over a minute off the pace of the F1 cars, even with Bernd Maylander driving it on the doorhandles. Ricciardo won in Baku last year by being prepared for the restart, also note that a red flag will be followed this year by a parade lap and lights-out grid start rather than a SC restart.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    calum said:
    What. Utter. Bullshit. From Ruth.

They ran as Conservatives up until after the 2015 General Election and got absolutely thrashed every time. Then she completely dropped Conservative branding and rebranded as the Ruth Davidson No To Independence Party, election literature never mentioning "Conservative" bar the legal minimum printing notice and started getting electoral success.

She nicked Murdo's one good idea and tries to pretend she hasn't.
    Foxy said:

currystar said:

The sa May.

The number of murders has gone up massively in the past few years from that graph, and if the Q1 ‘18 trend continues the next data point will be in the 190-200 area, representing the steepest point on the graph.
  • welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

GDPR

As an SME, we have stopped all other IT projects (all of which would've enhanced the business in profitable ways), so out sole IT person can concentrate full time on GDPR from Jan - May.

I can see it is going to be an absolute nightmare thereafter.

And of course all the usual "consultants" ooze out from their primal swap offering "GDPR" this that and the other, threatening the end of the world if you don't pay them a king's ransom to solve this "problem". Makes me despair. The Chinese won't give a stuff and will just go on getting more competitive.

Puts soap box away.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,758
    edited April 2018
    I am not sure I like the idea of Brake being 'exposed.'

Even fully covered by clothing he's no oil painting.
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,232
    Under Theresa the Tories have very much become the party of caravan holidays and jumble sales. It's no surprise that London - a city of edginess, ambition and vim - should see them as dull and irrelevant or even a touch morbid. These days I can barely picture a Tory who wouldn't partake in tea dancing.
    Mr. Sandpit, cheers for that rules comment. I know they've fiddled with some stuff but am not abreast of all the detail. That actually sounds like a decent change.

Under Theresa the Tories have very much become the party of caravan holidays and jumble sales. It's no surprise that London - a city of edginess, ambition and vim - should see them as dull and irrelevant or even a touch morbid. These days I can barely picture a Tory who wouldn't partake in tea dancing.

Tories haven't run other hotbeds of socialism like Scotland and Wales for years - so the Peoples Republic of Londonstan is out of reach for a while - meh.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074

I think that's very likely. A shame about the Lib Dems though. My local Lib Dem councillor is very good and has a strong personal vote. And, interestingly, the Conservatives are being very professional and active in my ward, for the first time for ages, at least at local level.

But it's an odd perception to have of Labour: in London Khan is obviously a Remainer etc. But at the national level, the Labour leadership is anything but Remain friendly so while I agree with you that the Remain vote will vote against the Tories it does feel like a jumping out of frying pan into fire vote. I don't think the current Labour leadership will do anything to please Remainers let alone those working in the sectors over-represented in London. But that may be an issue for the future rather than the May elections.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,004
    edited April 2018

This one wouldn't but to be fair wouldn't partake in any form of dancing
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,019
    Sean_F said:

In Inner London (72% Remain) I'd agree with you. Outer London (54% Remain) not so much.
    Brexit certainly hasn’t helped in inner London but, in a scenario where Cameron/Osborne had won the EU ref by 55/45 I couldn’t see the Conservatives doing particularly well in London this year either. Although it definitely will hit the Tories in SW London.

It is swinging Left for much broader, fundamental reasons, as Miliband’s good performances showed in the 2010-2015 Parliament, and Corbyn would have turbocharged that regardless.

Worth remembering: Corbyn was elected in 2015, well before Brexit.
    Cyclefree said:

Yes, and keeping council tax low(ish) and having a no-nonsense approach to crime/law&order.
    edited April 2018

See you down the tea dance mosh pit.....
    Foxy said:

currystar said:

The sa May.

Ah yes, the Glory Years of Boris. Not looking so good now though, is it, that graph if updated....
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842

I think Corbyn's "70% in favour of the EU" was probably the most sensible statement of position on the EU for the whole campaign personally :>

Mr. Sandpit, cheers for that rules comment. I know they've fiddled with some stuff but am not abreast of all the detail. That actually sounds like a decent change.

Except I think I’m wrong. The grid start is only when the race starts behind the SC due to track conditions. The grid restart is next year. I think.

https://www.fia.com/file/61679/download/20079?token=EmWuXJe1
    Sporting regs 2018 ^^^ with the changes from 2017 usefully highlighted. Start and race procedure is covered by rules 36-42
  • NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758

A few years of momentum running London councils will do all that is needed to change from red to blue
    A few Momentum run councils will help the Tories at the next GE.
    Pulpstar said:

I think Corbyn's "70% in favour of the EU" was probably the most sensible statement of position on the EU for the whole campaign personally :>
    Pretty damned stupid to say you want the light switch 70% on, though - when there was no dimmer switch on offer.

Though West London is still largely Tory, that may not be true if Labour had a more centrist leader but Corbyn is too much of a risk for the very wealthy even if they hate Brexit

Pulpstar said:

Pretty damned stupid to say you want the light switch 70% on, though - when there was no dimmer switch on offer.
    With Corbyn as leader there is a clear choice if you want something dimmer.

Pulpstar said:

Perhaps he wanted a narrow Brexit victory ;)
    Pulpstar said:

Most Brits were 50/50 in favour of the EU, but when faced with marking a choice of 90%+ favourability v. taking a risk of 0%, they decided to take the plunge.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,749
    I see the fisher folk's Stockholm syndrome towards the party that negotiated just about every fishing related deal, capitulation and concession with the EU continues apace.

https://twitter.com/fishingforleave/status/981526109190803457

'Top Torys' ffs.
    Mr. Sandpit, ah, right. Seems odd to delay that change, but there we are.

Left-wing and right-wing snobs in London certainly now have something in common when it comes to Theresa May’s Conservatives.

Mr. Sandpit, ah, right. Seems odd to delay that change, but there we are.

Maybe I was right to start with. Confused now.
    http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/romain-grosjean-warns-new-f1-restarts-could-be-chaos-and-dangerous
    HYUFD said:

Though West London is still largely Tory, that may not be true if Labour had a more centrist leader but Corbyn is too much of a risk for the very wealthy even if they hate Brexit
    There is a sort of Tory river that runs down from Edgeware to Epsom via Westminster.
  • I see the fisher folk's Stockholm syndrome towards the party that negotiated just about every fishing related deal, capitulation and concession with the EU continues apace.

'Top Torys' ffs.

They trusted Gove the Betrayer.

What a bunch of morons, don’t they know Gove eventually stabs you in the front?
  • Theresa May’s allies are increasingly confident she can bring “back from the dead” a major review of parliamentary seats that would boost the Tories’ chances of winning the 2022 election.

The upheaval would see Jeremy Corbyn’s seat axed and the overall number of MPs slashed from 650 to 600.

It could also be the catalyst for Labour Left-wingers loyal to Mr Corbyn to carry out a purge of Blairites, because the boundary changes would trigger dozens of selection contests.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/theresa-may-could-revive-major-boundary-review-to-boost-majority-in-2022-election-a3806426.html
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    JackW said:

Roger said:

JackW said:

Roger said:

hunchman said:
    .....Did Russia want these two dead and did they want to leave a calling card on the bodies?

The story so far

.....they're not dead-the daughter is recovering-and the calling card was so badly printed that there's now serious doubt that they left it.

So two possibilities

It was a botched job or British intelligence got it wrong.

Conclusions

British intelligence have history. They erroneously told the world that Saddam had chemical weapons that they could deploy in 48 hours and they have a Foreign secretary who is a proven liar.

The Russians had no motive for killing these two and if they'd wanted the world to know is it credible they'd have made such a pigs arse of it?

.......I find for the Russians with costs

Sadly on this one Roger I find you've lost the plot to the cost of your PB reputation.
    You've been away from here for a while Jack (and missed). My reputation such as it was disappeared long ago. Read MM's oblique post above.
    See my 9:02am

To which I'd add:

None on PB who dare offer their opinions regularly for consideration escape unscathed. The vagaries of public discourse, opinion and events will make fools of all of us.

That said we all need to remind ourselves that waddling along the street we see a duck. It walks with the appropriate gait and quacks in an accent not unfamiliar around the Kremlin. I think my old friend it's a Russian duck.
    You haven't lost it! That really made me smile
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited April 2018
    welshowl said:

GDPR

As an SME, we have stopped all other IT projects (all of which would've enhanced the business in profitable ways), so out sole IT person can concentrate full time on GDPR from Jan - May.

And of course all the usual "consultants" ooze out from their primal swap offering "GDPR" this that and the other, threatening the end of the world if you don't pay them a king's ransom to solve this "problem". Makes me despair. The Chinese won't give a stuff and will just go on getting more competitive.

Puts soap box away.

Surely for most companies GDPR just means getting "legal" to tweak the wording on the customer consent boxes? Isn't GDPR basically just:
    a) get consent; b) only use data for what you said in (a); c) be careful sending it abroad? Why would the IT guy need 5 months and is it an IT problem anyway?

ETA: IANAL and why can't I see the widget to edit posts? It's there but invisible.

Theresa May’s allies are increasingly confident she can bring “back from the dead” a major review of parliamentary seats that would boost the Tories’ chances of winning the 2022 election.

The upheaval would see Jeremy Corbyn’s seat axed and the overall number of MPs slashed from 650 to 600.

It could also be the catalyst for Labour Left-wingers loyal to Mr Corbyn to carry out a purge of Blairites, because the boundary changes would trigger dozens of selection contests.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/theresa-may-could-revive-major-boundary-review-to-boost-majority-in-2022-election-a3806426.html

Ceteris paribus it should cut the cost of parliamentarian salaries by 8%. I've checked and my constituency (Bassetlaw) would be completely unaffected so that is one MP the Corbynites can't purge.

welshowl said:

GDPR

Puts soap box away.

Surely for most companies GDPR just means getting "legal" to tweak the wording on the customer consent boxes? Isn't GDPR basically just:
    a) get consent; b) only use data for what you said in (a); c) be careful sending it abroad? Why would the IT guy need 5 months and is it an IT problem anyway?
    You have to start thinking about things you didn't think about before. You were supposed to have been thinking about then since 1997, but mostly people thought about them once and never returned.
    @Morris_Dancer I was correct to start with. A red flag will now lead to a standing start.
    New rule 42.8. Resuming a race.
    https://www.fia.com/file/64928/download/20784?token=z2tsV81N
    Why the FIA leave old draft versions of regulations on their website without a massive warning that says the document has been superseded, I don’t know.

Theresa May’s allies are increasingly confident she can bring “back from the dead” a major review of parliamentary seats that would boost the Tories’ chances of winning the 2022 election.

Has she been talking to George Osborne again? Perhaps that is the real news.
    edited April 2018
    Fascinating to watch the Tories blow their reputations on both economic competence and crime.

And yet, Corbyn.
    O/T Just asked Facebook to send me their archived data they hold on me. Should be interesting and probably an eye-opener...
    Pulpstar said:

Ceteris paribus it should cut the cost of parliamentarian salaries by 8%. I've checked and my constituency (Bassetlaw) would be completely unaffected so that is one MP the Corbynites can't purge.
    Is ceteris paribus Latin for they'll save money on MPs except oh dear they're stuffing the House of Lords so bang go all the savings?

Doesn’t take many abstentions from the Corbynites for her to have the numbers. The current boundaries will be 17 years out of date by 2022.
    edited April 2018

Pulpstar said:

Is ceteris paribus Latin for they'll save money on MPs except oh dear they're stuffing the House of Lords so bang go all the savings?
    The house of Lords will get stuffed (or not) no matter the number of MPs in the commons. I'm up for ditching it anyway tbh, along with district councils...
    Sandpit said:

Doesn’t take many abstentions from the Corbynites for her to have the numbers. The current boundaries will be 17 years out of date by 2022.
    Utterly nuts. Waste of political capital.
    No one wants this and no one cares.

Sandpit said:

I don't want it and I do care!

It is nuts to reduce the already appalling pool of talent for the executive any further.

May is mad to waste time on this.
    Mr. Sandpit, ah. Well, good the change is made.

More likely one of her aides. Isn't she hiking some welsh mountains this week and pondering a snap election?

Sandpit said:

I don't want it and I do care!

It is nuts to reduce the already appalling pool of talent for the executive any further.

May is mad to waste time on this.
    Well we agree!

Macron is trying to do something similar in France as per of a broader parliamentary reform agenda. But, as an analyst is quoted in the FT,

“How is it supposed to improve democracy to have fewer deputies? There might also be an ugly reason, when there are fewer deputies in Parliament you have to reshape electoral wards, so you have a window of opportunity for gerrymandering. That’s dangerous.”
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

The house of Lords will get stuffed (or not) no matter the number of MPs in the commons. I'm up for ditching it anyway tbh, along with district councils...
    No, we need an Upper House.
    The problem with the Lords is:

- too many of them
    - the remaining aristos are ridiculously anachronistic
    - the vast numbers of political placemen

Appointment to the Lords should be done by an independent panel, each term’s tranche dictated by the results of the last election, with a handsome allowance for cross-benchers.

Sandpit said:

it's fundamentally undemocratic to have out of date boundaries.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,545
    The trick with Brexit is to try to hang onto as much as possible of the status quo while pretending you are taking control and doing "British deals" simply because you are "negotiating".

I see the fisher folk's Stockholm syndrome towards the party that negotiated just about every fishing related deal, capitulation and concession with the EU continues apace.

'Top Torys' ffs.

TGOHF said:

Sandpit said:

we could have a new review, 650 MPs, new boundaries
    of course not, their registrar will be 1.2.3 Luxembourg or whatever

Sandpit said:

Politically it is advantageous for the Tories, and poor for the Lib Dems in particular. I don't think it affects Labour much either way - Clegg used alot of internal coalition capital stopping the changes -

Westmorland most likely goes Tory.
    Edinburgh West nominally goes SNP on current votes.
    Caithness gets absorbed as part of Highland North, nominally goes SNP.
    Carshalton absorbs some Sutton wards and becomes a trickier hold for Brake (Nominally goes Tory)
    Bath, Norfolk North become harder holds
    So does Dunbartonshire East - though Jo should be OK there.

Or the four Lib Dem "very close" targets, only Richmond Park is unaffected

Fife North East absorbing some of Glenrothes sures up the SNP somewhat rather than being 2 votes in it..
    Ceredigion becomes a true four way, certainly not any easier for the Lib Dems.
    St Ives becomes a tougher gain too.

So that'd be 12 -> 8 seats on 2017 votes with any gains 'further' away, and only Richmond Park looking like a gain on current polling.

More likely one of her aides. Isn't she hiking some welsh mountains this week and pondering a snap election?
    She wouldn't make that mistake twice!

No, this time she is going to come back refreshed and determined to not bother with implementing Brexit....

TGOHF said:

Sandpit said:

No we can’t. The law (Parliamentary Voting System and Constituencies Act 2011) says that the number of MPs is to be 600. Changing that now requires primary legislation.
    Even Layla Moran loses her seat nominally on the new boundaries, though with first time incumbency she has a decent shot at winning Oxford, Abingdon North.
    edited April 2018

This was always about gerrymandering and CCHQ will have been reminded by what's going on across the Atlantic. See this 538 article to understand the basis of the cunning plan: drop Labour supporters from the registers, then reduce the number of MPs to force every constituency to be redrawn based on the Labour-light registers. American Republicans have been doing it for years.
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/there-is-more-at-stake-in-the-censuss-citizenship-question-than-response-rates/

ETA the irony is that this is what cost Cameron and Osborne the EU referendum, and probably cost Theresa May her majority.
    Sandpit said:

TGOHF said:

Sandpit said:

No we can’t. The law (Parliamentary Voting System and Constituencies Act 2011) says that the number of MPs is to be 600. Changing that now requires primary legislation.
    doesn't this also require having a parliamentary majority for it?
    The changes may well go through now, the old hurdle was the DUP but amazingly some "new" boundaries were found that kept all the DUP MPs in January ;)

New parliamentary boundaries were revised in January 2018 by the Boundary Commission for Northern Ireland. Analysis of these revised proposals by Electoral Calculus, assuming that voting patterns remain stable, indicates the Democratic Unionist Party has improved its position from the initial proposals

Who could have predicted that !
    Pulpstar said:

Even Layla Moran loses her seat nominally on the new boundaries, though with first time incumbency she has a decent shot at winning Oxford, Abingdon North.

as am sure you appreciate, nominal doesn't make much sense when one village in Norfolk is heavily Tory and another next door split just because the constituency border is between them
This discussion has been closed.