Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why one ex-LAB member has decided to rejoin the party

Comments

• Options
    tlg86 said:

What a week for Man City. I now don’t think they’ll come back from that defeat to Liverpool this week in the CL.

We've got a huge injury crisis.

We will definitely be without Can, Henderson, Lallana, and Gomez.

Salah, Robertson, and Moreno could be all missing with injuries.

So we could be without a recognised left back and for our last two matches our reserve centre back is a 19 year old who hasn't played a first team match.

Plus I'm going to the Etihad on Tuesday.

I know what's coming.

Plus we're owed the mother of all European comebacks.
    I didn’t know it was that bad for Liverpool. I knew Lallana was injured, but Salah and Can? Yeah, now I’m less sure about them pulling it off at the Etihad....
    Salah picked up a groin injury on Wednesday and came off early in the second half, he missed the Merseyside derby today.

Can's been injured for a few weeks.

Robertson missed the derby as well due to injury, and Moreno got injured in the warm up.
    You're most important player, in my opinion, is James Milner. I would like to think Gareth Southgate is trying to get him to come out of international retirement.
    He's brilliant, that all England midfield of Milner, Henderson, and Ox was amazing on Wednesday.

Milner's said the reason he's playing so well is because of the breaks he now gets during international breaks, so I think he'll stay in retirement.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

tlg86 said:

What a week for Man City. I now don’t think they’ll come back from that defeat to Liverpool this week in the CL.

So we could be without a recognised left back and for our last two matches our reserve centre back is a 19 year old who hasn't played a first team match.

I know what's coming.

I didn’t know it was that bad for Liverpool. I knew Lallana was injured, but Salah and Can? Yeah, now I’m less sure about them pulling it off at the Etihad....
    Salah picked up a groin injury on Wednesday and came off early in the second half, he missed the Merseyside derby today.

Robertson missed the derby as well due to injury, and Moreno got injured in the warm up.
    You're most important player, in my opinion, is James Milner. I would like to think Gareth Southgate is trying to get him to come out of international retirement.
    He's brilliant, that all England midfield of Milner, Henderson, and Ox was amazing on Wednesday.

Milner's said the reason he's playing so well is because of the breaks he now gets during international breaks, so I think he'll stay in retirement.
    Oh I don't doubt that it's helped him. But I just want him to play in the World Cup. He can retire again afterwards. I think that was Roy Hodgson's big mistake in 2014. He should have played Milner with Gerrard and Henderson and left out one of Stirling, Sturridge, Rooney or (most likely) Welbeck.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    Don't know if anyone will find this interesting.

Corbyn's original gamble going to the Libertines concert during the election campaign.

http://thequietus.com/articles/24349-oh-jeremy-corbyn-chant-origin-alex-nunn-the-candidate-extract
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited April 2018
    What is happening to Andrew Adonis:
    https://twitter.com/andrew_adonis/status/982691052745261056
    I sympathise with his antipathy to Brexit, but this is just odd.
  • Options

Thanks for the heads up - I'll get the popcorn ready!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    edited April 2018
    AndyJS said:

Are any PBers standing for election on May 3rd?

Yes (as confirmed by TSE) am challenging the LD incumbent in my ward in Epping and have been delivering and canvassing today in my ward and the neighbouring ward we are trying to hold. Looks Like Sandy is too and I know at least one other is but will leave it up to him whether he wants to mention it
  • Options

@SandyRentool

Good luck!

@TGOHF

I'd tend to agree with that, for all the media noise about a new centrist party the opening on the right probably makes more sense. The problem is that isn't what a lot of the media wants to call out for!

IIRC Stephen Bush has said similar. A lot of this new centre party talk really comes down to wishful thinking among liberal centrists.
    The same liberal centrists who pretty much ran the government from 1997 to 2007 and 2010 to 2016. A spell in opposition won't do them too much harm and will give them time to rethink their message
  • Options
    Good luck to you as well HYUFD.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    tlg86 said:

Thanks for the heads up - I'll get the popcorn ready!
    Where did you get fresh stocks of popcorn from? :o
  • Options

+1.
  • Options

Thanks
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,807

Like AC Grayling and Matthew Parris, Brexit has driven him mad.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,360
    edited April 2018
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

I know what's coming.

Oh I don't doubt that it's helped him. But I just want him to play in the World Cup. He can retire again afterwards. I think that was Roy Hodgson's big mistake in 2014. He should have played Milner with Gerrard and Henderson and left out one of Stirling, Sturridge, Rooney or (most likely) Welbeck.
    The fact that Roy Hodgson managed both my club and country still scares me.

Liverpool have lost one Merseyside derby in 90 minutes in the last 12 years.

Roy Hodgson was that manager.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914

The Reds beating the Blues again!!

In front of 1 Billion Households

Wow. Election Night 1997 re-runs are far more popular than I even imagined.
    Hah.

The 2001 election night is amusing too - the result is an absolute foregone conclusion but it starts off with Archer's libel trial. What an absolute state the Tories were still in then.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914

On topic, I am pleased that Joff has decided to rejoin us. He is politically to the right of me, just as Momentum are to the left, but we are all part of one movement, one Party, one desire - to get rid of the Tory government and put something better in place.

At a local level, comrades from Blairites to Bennites work together with common purpose - in the next month that is to get councillors elected.

I'm not pretending there isn't conflict within the party, but we have more to unite us than to divide us.

I for one would rather see Jezza as next PM than BoJo or the Moggster.

What an invidious choice for the country any of those 3 would be
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,717
    Pulpstar said:

On topic, I am pleased that Joff has decided to rejoin us. He is politically to the right of me, just as Momentum are to the left, but we are all part of one movement, one Party, one desire - to get rid of the Tory government and put something better in place.

At a local level, comrades from Blairites to Bennites work together with common purpose - in the next month that is to get councillors elected.

I'm not pretending there isn't conflict within the party, but we have more to unite us than to divide us.

Then I have good news - Bojo and the Moggster might become PM without the country being involved in the choice, so no problem.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,145
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Then I have good news - Bojo and the Moggster might become PM without the country being involved in the choice, so no problem.
    Job sharing?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,841
    Evening all :)

First, thanks for the interesting and thought-provoking piece, SO. I understand your journey (as it were) and I suspect in time you will be wholly vindicated.

One scenario I've often seen argued is a Conservative win in 2022 leading to Labour, after a short period, electing a centrist leader and making substantial policy shifts while the Conservatives come to look increasingly tired in office. The 2027 election is 1997 redux with the Conservatives routed and Labour set to dominate the 2030s as they did the 2000s.

Perhaps - indeed "liberal" Conservatives had to bide their time in Opposition while the likes of Hague, IDS and Howard pandered to a "traditional" tone and all got soundly thrashed by the electorate. After 2005, the Party realised they had to change to win.

Parties that want to win power work out how and that often means fields full of slaughtered cows. Labour wins when it has the zeitgeist in terms of modernity and when it couples that with Conservative-style sound economic management. To put the icing on the cake, a generally strong economy allows people to feel more confident in the preservation of their wealth and more comfortable with seeing the fruits of prosperity spread more widely.

Labour is the Party trusted to help wider society and is supported only when the economy is strong enough to allow for increased spending on the NHS, Police and other areas. In a perfect world, Labour would win every time but it's far from perfect and when it isn't, the Conservatives answer the call.

At the moment, I suspect a chunk of the Conservative vote is the anti-Corbyn vote. On their own some of Corbyn's ideas poll well but he personally does not. This allows the record of the Conservative Government on issues like law and order and the funding of adult social care to pass without scrutiny. The simple argument that however bad May is, Corbyn will be a hundred times worse is for now the only game in town.

I think there's a lot of areas where this Government's performance is sub-optimal to be charitable and there's far too little scrutiny of that. That will continue until and unless Labour becomes a credible Government-in-waiting rather than a coalition of anti-Conservative voices.

Were the likes of Joff running the Labour Party, the Conservatives would have plenty to worry about.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    rcs1000 said:

We all know how the average age of home owenership has been rising and rising in the UK, with 30 year olds today much less likely to own their own home than 20 years ago.

What is curious is threefold:

1. This trend seems almost as pronounced in areas of the UK where house prices have barely budged (the North West and East Anglia), as where they have soared (London).

2. This trend has also been seen in the US, Japan and Canada. In Canada, the average age of first home purchase is now 36, up from 30 in the mid 2000s!

3. The only place in the world where average age of first home ownership seems to be falling is Germany. Which is odd, because Germany has had one of the hottest property markets in the world.

Rising prices should mean lower affordability, should mean later home ownership. But it seems that required deposit levels, and confidence about the direction of future house prices are at least as important to first time buyers.

Anyway, my investigations continue.

The other side of the affordability equation is income. I suspect that incomes in places where prices have barely budged have not done as well compared to areas with strong house price growth.

If inflation is eroding your income then even modestly falling house prices become less, rather than more, affordable.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Don't know if anyone will find this interesting.

Corbyn's original gamble going to the Libertines concert during the election campaign.

http://thequietus.com/articles/24349-oh-jeremy-corbyn-chant-origin-alex-nunn-the-candidate-extract

Thanks for that. A great read.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

He appears to have gone over the deep end.

"Set out proposals" - as if he was someone important. Never elected, and he was singularly useless in government.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Yes (as confirmed by TSE) am challenging the LD incumbent in my ward in Epping and have been delivering and canvassing today in my ward and the neighbouring ward we are trying to hold. Looks Like Sandy is too and I know at least one other is but will leave it up to him whether he wants to mention it
    Best of luck. It is a great thing you are doing.
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    Corbyn is Labour's candidate to be PM. Any member of the Labour Party, and any Labour MP that sits on the green benches behind Corbyn, are endorsing him to be PM. Joff Wild is no exception.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

He appears to have gone over the deep end.

"Set out proposals" - as if he was someone important. Never elected, and he was singularly useless in government.
    Don't underestimate this numpty. It's because of him that we've been lumbered with HS2.
  • Options

twitter.com/MsHelicat/status/982711802415939584

Watch it go nowhere...
  • Options
    DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 332
    edited April 2018
    From the piece on the website:

“They have the resources, but I’m not sure they have a viable plan,” said one person familiar with the project.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597
    The LibDems must be really, really shite if this bunch of self-important nobodies would rather hose £50million against the wall on a vanity project than support the existing centre party.
  • Options
    New party gets £50m backing to ‘break mould’ of UK politics

Plans secretly made by donors since 2016 for a new political party drawing from both left and right

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/apr/07/new-political-party-break-mould-westminster-uk-brexit
  • Options
    Okay, I can imagine some Labour people who might be willing to jump ship, but would anyone on here put down any money on a Tory MP crossing the floor to join with them?
  • Options
    DM_Andy said:

Okay, I can imagine some Labour people who might be willing to jump ship, but would anyone on here put down any money on a Tory MP crossing the floor to join with them?

There's always one.

Christopher Brocklebank-Fowler defected to the SDP.
  • Options

New party gets £50m backing to ‘break mould’ of UK politics

Plans secretly made by donors since 2016 for a new political party drawing from both left and right

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/apr/07/new-political-party-break-mould-westminster-uk-brexit

The SDP had plenty of money too in 1981.

• Options

DM_Andy said:

There's always one.

The original TPD?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Watch it go nowhere...
    Interesting how quickly the usual partisans rush to dismiss it and how curious to see Conservative and Labour sounding the same.

Shows how much they fear anything which challenges the existing duopoly.

The one thing which "could" break both the Conservative and Labour parties is a Macron-style party emerging and beating them both.
  • Options
    RobD said:

DM_Andy said:

There's always one.

The original TPD?
    Nah. that was Sir Winston Churchill, he ratted not once, but twice.

F*cking hate rats.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597
    Scott_P said:
    If Corbyn is the Kremlin's Useful Idiot does that make BoJo their Useless Idiot?
  • Options
    stodge said:

RobD said:

Watch it go nowhere...
    Interesting how quickly the usual partisans rush to dismiss it and how curious to see Conservative and Labour sounding the same.

The one thing which "could" break both the Conservative and Labour parties is a Macron-style party emerging and beating them both.
    I'm only going on past experience with new parties. The only ones that have gone anywhere are those that are formed through MPs crossing the floor.
  • Options

RobD said:

DM_Andy said:

There's always one.

The original TPD?

F*cking hate rats.
    He redeemed himself somewhat...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Best of luck. It is a great thing you are doing.
    Thankyou, will certainly be a busy month
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

The LibDems must be really, really shite if this bunch of self-important nobodies would rather hose £50million against the wall on a vanity project than support the existing centre party.
    Harsh on all those involved. But fair.
  • Options
    stodge said:

RobD said:

Watch it go nowhere...

Despite the wide range of political views here, we're all students of British elections and (hopefully) how to make money from reading the signs. There's no support for this mythical centrist party in the polling. 56% of the public believe that none of the existing parties represent them but that's going to cover a massive range of opinion and any real party with real policies won't be able to appeal to all or even most of them. What is this mythical centrist party going to offer that the Lib Dems aren't already offering?

It's not fear about the duopoly, it's incredulity, but if they want to waste £50m then it'll be interesting to watch.

• Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    edited April 2018
    This Observer story is great. Experience suggests giving money to a political party and having political nous are less than perfectly correlated.

Exhibit A: Arron Banks
  • Options
    DM_Andy said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

Watch it go nowhere...

Despite the wide range of political views here, we're all students of British elections and (hopefully) how to make money from reading the signs. There's no support for this mythical centrist party in the polling. 56% of the public believe that none of the existing parties represent them but that's going to cover a massive range of opinion and any real party with real policies won't be able to appeal to all or even most of them. What is this mythical centrist party going to offer that the Lib Dems aren't already offering?

It's not fear about the duopoly, it's incredulity, but if they want to waste £50m then it'll be interesting to watch.
    The genesis of a serious new party would be serious politicians, not "philanthropists" putting a funding package together and then auditioning for the lead roles, which is how this sounds. Also, a multi-millionaire called Simon Franks is just trolling Labour - those pesky Elders have stopped bothering to hide what they are up to.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    edited April 2018
    Theresa May is going to lead the Tories into the 2022 election and win an overall majority.

What’s the best way for me to bet on that outcome?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256
    edited April 2018
    stodge said:

First, thanks for the interesting and thought-provoking piece, SO. I understand your journey (as it were) and I suspect in time you will be wholly vindicated.

A bold suspicion indeed
    stodge said:

In a perfect world, Labour would win every time

The 'lol' post of the night...

Is the perfect world really so illiberal?
    stodge said:

Were the likes of Joff running the Labour Party, the Conservatives would have plenty to worry about.

If Joff has such a winning formula he had better work out what he is for, rather than merely against, pdq...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Have they done polls before or are they a new pollster?
  • Options
    @IanB2 - well said.
  • Options
    DM_Andy said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

Watch it go nowhere...

My thoughts exactly.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

One scenario I've often seen argued is a Conservative win in 2022 leading to Labour, after a short period, electing a centrist leader and making substantial policy shifts while the Conservatives come to look increasingly tired in office. The 2027 election is 1997 redux with the Conservatives routed and Labour set to dominate the 2030s as they did the 2000s.

Perhaps - indeed "liberal" Conservatives had to bide their time in Opposition while the likes of Hague, IDS and Howard pandered to a "traditional" tone and all got soundly thrashed by the electorate. After 2005, the Party realised they had to change to win.

Parties that want to win power work out how and that often means fields full of slaughtered cows. Labour wins when it has the zeitgeist in terms of modernity and when it couples that with Conservative-style sound economic management. To put the icing on the cake, a generally strong economy allows people to feel more confident in the preservation of their wealth and more comfortable with seeing the fruits of prosperity spread more widely.

Labour is the Party trusted to help wider society and is supported only when the economy is strong enough to allow for increased spending on the NHS, Police and other areas. In a perfect world, Labour would win every time but it's far from perfect and when it isn't, the Conservatives answer the call.

At the moment, I suspect a chunk of the Conservative vote is the anti-Corbyn vote. On their own some of Corbyn's ideas poll well but he personally does not. This allows the record of the Conservative Government on issues like law and order and the funding of adult social care to pass without scrutiny. The simple argument that however bad May is, Corbyn will be a hundred times worse is for now the only game in town.

I think there's a lot of areas where this Government's performance is sub-optimal to be charitable and there's far too little scrutiny of that. That will continue until and unless Labour becomes a credible Government-in-waiting rather than a coalition of anti-Conservative voices.

Nope, if Joff was running the LP the Tories would be laughing their heads off, which is why I really hope the no hopers in both parties try and form their brand new party. It gives Labour, and funnily enough the Tories a chance to get rid of the chancers... At the next GE, most, since they will have lost their local party support and most of their electorate, will be looking for new jobs.
  • Options
    DM_Andy said:

More than 2/3 of the original members of the SDP hadn't been in any political party before. Don't estimate the appeal of any alternative to disillusioned ex-Conservatives, ex-Labour and even ex-LD supporters.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,936

RobD said:

DM_Andy said:

There's always one.

The original TPD?

F*cking hate rats.
    That is because you are a classic case of putting party before principles. Something you have unfortunately exhibited far too often on these pages.
  • Options
    OchEye said:

Nope, if Joff was running the LP the Tories would be laughing their heads off, which is why I really hope the no hopers in both parties try and form their brand new party. It gives Labour, and funnily enough the Tories a chance to get rid of the chancers... At the next GE, most, since they will have lost their local party support and most of their electorate, will be looking for new jobs.

I don't really understand this. Who are the "chancers" in each Party, those who don't profess unswerving loyalty to the leader or question her or his policies ?

• Options
    edited April 2018
    It is all well and good having money and lots of important and powerful people behind you.

The one potential flaw in their plan, where I see it falling down. Voters.

There are plenty of people who don't like May/The Toreis/Brexit (which all get combined up into each other) or Corbyn.

This group of people does not share a common platform, there is a massive difference between being against a few central things and actually having a cohesive plan you can all agree to for government. You get various people mentioned as potential candidates for such a party that actually have different views and would struggle to be in a party together.

This also goes for their potential voters and I think the is reason why it is always a new party. The Lib Dems had to go further than just say we aren't too far right or too far left, they had to actually come up with their own policy platform.

Then some of the people that don't like Corbyn or May also didn't like the Lib Dems.

The original groups isn't an overwhelming size to begin with so once they start losing people to actual decisions beyond left and right are bad they struggle to get anywhere.

@Recidivist

No problem, he also did a quite long interview about various parts of his book (which the article had an extract from) which I found quite interesting, some stuff I either hadn't heard or a different angle on it.
    https://soundcloud.com/a-up-lets-talk/1-alex-nunns-discusses-the-candidate-jeremy-corbyns-improbable-path-to-power
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

stodge said:

A bold suspicion indeed
    stodge said:

stodge said:

If Joff has such a winning formula he had better work out what he is for, rather than merely against, pdq...
    Thank you for the constructive criticism, my friend.

In response you don't know and I don't know what Labour will be in five years time (same goes for the Conservatives). IF Corbyn goes down to defeat in 2022, where will Labour go ? If May (or whoever loses) where will the Conservatives go ?

My second point relates not to Corbyn's Labour but to a broadly centre-left party.

As for the third point, the centre-left does need to work out a series of policies and positions for Britain in the 2020s but that presumably is where the £50 million will be going - to do that kind of research or thinking.
  • Options
    The more I think about it the more I consider this thread header to be one of the best on PB for a very long time. It is clearly stimulating debate not only on these pages but beyond as well.
  • Options
    Ditch trade deal with Trump rather than accept chlorinated chicken, Britons say

Exclusive: Britons would rather cancel post-Brexit deal with US than accept lower food standards

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-trade-deal-theresa-may-us-uk-eu-chlorine-chicken-food-safety-standards-poll-a8292496.html
  • Options

Exclusive: Britons would rather cancel post-Brexit deal with US than accept lower food standards

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-trade-deal-theresa-may-us-uk-eu-chlorine-chicken-food-safety-standards-poll-a8292496.html

This seems silly but the mention of chlorinated chicken might make people think that their roasts will suddenly smell like a swimming pool. It's something that Britain should accept if we can get a good trade deal and once it's happening people will wonder what the fuss was about.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,360
    edited April 2018

RobD said:

DM_Andy said:

There's always one.

The original TPD?

F*cking hate rats.
    That is because you are a classic case of putting party before principles. Something you have unfortunately exhibited far too often on these pages.
    That means a lot from someone who was willing the share the same cesspit as Nigel Farage for so long.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,704
    DM_Andy said:

This seems silly but the mention of chlorinated chicken might make people think that their roasts will suddenly smell like a swimming pool. It's something that Britain should accept if we can get a good trade deal and once it's happening people will wonder what the fuss was about.
    It's not as easy as that. Leaving aside the fact that you haven't defined what a "good" trade deal is, it puts British farmers in a bind. If US can supply cheap food that meets standards A to the UK, then to compete UK farmers will have to lower their standards to A. But if they lower their standards to A, then they lose their European markets which require the higher standards B. Either way, UK farmers lose. I think it was @NickPalmer of this parish who wrote an article some time ago pointing this out: perhaps he could furnish you with a link
  • Options
    Unwise of him to be drawn into tweeting, I would have thought. Comes across as rattled.
  • Options
    stodge said:

IanB2 said:

stodge said:

A bold suspicion indeed
    stodge said:

stodge said:

Thank you for the constructive criticism, my friend.

In response you don't know and I don't know what Labour will be in five years time (same goes for the Conservatives). IF Corbyn goes down to defeat in 2022, where will Labour go ? If May (or whoever loses) where will the Conservatives go ?

My second point relates not to Corbyn's Labour but to a broadly centre-left party.

As for the third point, the centre-left does need to work out a series of policies and positions for Britain in the 2020s but that presumably is where the £50 million will be going - to do that kind of research or thinking.
    I am not sure that launching a new party, then spending its money on working out what it is for, is a sensible way to go about things?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Looks like Sadiq has managed to conjure 300 police officers for street patrols out of nowhere.

What were they doing before and why did the mayor direct them there instead of stopping crime in the streets of London?
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Unwise of him to be drawn into tweeting, I would have thought. Comes across as rattled.
    Particularly as the whole point of that slogan is to paint the Tories into that role.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Ishmael_Z said:

Does he have a particular group of rich people in mind, I wonder...
  • Options
    RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359
    edited April 2018
    Scott_P said:
    Until they join the BPC shouldn't we treat them as a voodoo-ish?
  • Options

RobD said:

DM_Andy said:

There's always one.

The original TPD?

F*cking hate rats.
    That means a lot from someone who was willing the share the same cesspit as Nigel Farage for so long.
    Nope. Wrong again. I was happy to use UKIP to achieve one speficic aim which was to leave the EU. As soon as that aim was achieved I left and hope they will sink into obscurity and failure. Principles before party you see. Something you clearly have no understanding of.

Churchill rightly said that he did not leave the party, the party left him. He was a man of principle even if one did not always agree with what he stood for. You stand for nothing except seeing your party in power. In that you are the exact opposite of someone like SouthamObserver.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

DM_Andy said:

It's not as easy as that. Leaving aside the fact that you haven't defined what a "good" trade deal is, it puts British farmers in a bind. If US can supply cheap food that meets standards A to the UK, then to compete UK farmers will have to lower their standards to A. But if they lower their standards to A, then they lose their European markets which require the higher standards B. Either way, UK farmers lose. I think it was @NickPalmer of this parish who wrote an article some time ago pointing this out: perhaps he could furnish you with a link
    Chlorinated chicken isn't on it's own lower standards. The argument is that chlorination is something that covers up contamination earlier in the supply chain but on it's own I can't see the problem with it.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Looks like Sadiq has managed to conjure 300 police officers for street patrols out of nowhere.

What were they doing before and why did the mayor direct them there instead of stopping crime in the streets of London?

Cancelled leave/deployed officers from other duties/paid for overtime from his contingency budget
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Chicken in the US of A is delicious.
  • Options
    Rhubarb said:

Scott_P said:
    Until they join the BPC shouldn't we treat them as a voodo-ish?
    Nope, they'll be publishing their tables like a BPC registered pollster, so we can judge their methodology.

Plus I'm sure they'll be joining the BPC (thought I saw a tweet along those lines)
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Have they done polls before or are they a new pollster?
    If you can imagine somebody hiding under the table whist rocking back and forth screaming, well that's me at the moment. I've had a look at their methodology. You can find it here: https://www.ncpolitics.uk/2018/04/we-did-a-poll-heres-why-and-what-we-found.html/

OK. In order to do a sample, two things have to be true. You have to sample at random (there are various ways of doing this) and the thing you're sampling from (the sample frame - now there's a bit of jargon for you and you have leaned something tonight) has to be representative of the population.

In the UK political opinion pollsters don't have stacks of cash and so have to do workarounds: quota sampling instead of random sampling, weighting the responses to match the population, using turnout models to translate voting intention into votes, and so on. Each workaround bends the theory and when it goes too far, it breaks.

YouGov recognised this post-2015 and spent hundreds of thousands of pounds making their online panel representative. Which is (one of) the reasons why it did well.

NCPolitics do their sampling from a) popup surveys on non-political sites and b) some people they bump into online ("river sampling"). At this point I start chewing my lips off. It might be a representative sample frame, and SurveyMonkey use similar techniques and their results aren't baaaad (starts crying) but...how do you prove it? "Oh, we weighted it so that's OK" is not an adequate answer.

So it might be pukka. It might not. Fuck knows. Sobs quietly... :(
  • Options
    Poor Arron Banks, Tommy Robinson has form for these sort of tweets.

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/982740277038342144
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Does he have a particular group of rich people in mind, I wonder...
    Wikipedia thinks Franks is a Jewish surname.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052

RobD said:

DM_Andy said:

There's always one.

The original TPD?

F*cking hate rats.
    Nope. Wrong again. I was happy to use UKIP to achieve one speficic aim which was to leave the EU. As soon as that aim was achieved I left and hope they will sink into obscurity and failure. Principles before party you see. Something you clearly have no understanding of.

Churchill rightly said that he did not leave the party, the party left him. He was a man of principle even if one did not always agree with what he stood for. You stand for nothing except seeing your party in power. In that you are the exact opposite of someone like SouthamObserver.
    When in your adult life was it not Conservative party policy not to be in the EEC/EU prior to the referendum?
  • Options

Nope, they'll be publishing their tables like a BPC registered pollster, so we can judge their methodology.

Plus I'm sure they'll be joining the BPC (thought I saw a tweet along those lines)

You said a few weeks ago you were going to do a thread on the post-2017 polling changes. I said I wanted the data/sources/information and you said you were going to do a thread. That thread has not appeared. Can I have the data/sources/information please? Happy to pay if needed.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

MaxPB said:

Cancelled leave/deployed officers from other duties/paid for overtime from his contingency budget
    The second group is what I'm interested in, what were those officers doing before?
  • Options
    RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359

Rhubarb said:

Scott_P said:
    Until they join the BPC shouldn't we treat them as a voodo-ish?

No problem. Back when I first started lurking (absolutely ages ago!) it was considered a faux pas to question the honour of a BPC member but perfectly ok to mock webpoll dross. I just wanted to clarify what the correct position was here.
  • Options
    DM_Andy said:

viewcode said:

DM_Andy said:

Chlorinated chicken isn't on it's own lower standards. The argument is that chlorination is something that covers up contamination earlier in the supply chain but on it's own I can't see the problem with it.
    I can't help thinking it won't be up to thee or me... :(
  • Options
    GilesGiles Posts: 1
    Is that Menachem Begin on the young guy's t-shirt in the photograph?
  • Options
    stodge said:

RobD said:

Watch it go nowhere...

And yet the situation with France is not exactly the same as here. He was up against mainstream parties which were doing very very badly in the polls compared to how well Labour and the Tories are doing. And he still only managed a small amount in the first round of the presidential poll, and was then up against Le Pen.

Which is not to say what he achieved was not remarkable, particularly the aftermath and the parliamentary voting, it was remarkable, but I really don't see that much we can cling to here about challenging the duopoly. We had parties that ensured we had gotten to a 2.5 party system perhaps, but public support collapsed for both, with only one, the LDs, even in a position to have another go of things.

One thing I have noticed a lot since I started following politics is that whenever one (or both) sides, dismiss something, one theory proposed it always that it shows how much they 'fear' the thing they are dismissing. On occasion it can be true, but I have never seen why the mere dismissing demonstrates that - sometimes when people, even the most partisan of partisans, dismiss something, it is because they find it worthy of dismissal, not because they fear it. It's the same sort of logic as used by those partisans, in that if they are attacked by the right people, then it shows they are doing something right. Sometimes. But sometimes even the enemy have a point.

I'd be very interested to see a new party emerge, not a tiny thing to be dismissed, but a genuine attempt at a rebalancing of our political landscape. Even if it failed, the attempt would be fascinating. But I also think it would go nowhere.
  • Options

RobD said:

DM_Andy said:

There's always one.

The original TPD?

F*cking hate rats.

You enabled and legitimised people like Nigel Farage and Arron Banks, I'm not sure I could live with that.

It is clear you can, which speaks volumes about you.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    TGOHF said:

IME (in and around NYC mostly) chicken is no better or worse than in the UK. Beef is much better than in the UK (it’s far more likely to be grass-fed here) and pork (as pork, rather than bacon or other processed pork) is generally better or as good as here too. Lamb, when you can find it, is much worse. Fish is generally poor unless you can find a supplier who lands it as close possible to where you are: we have a supplier at our farmer’s market who lands it in Long Island Sound so its generally good, but we don’t buy fish from our local supermarkets now after getting literally rotten or wormy cuts.

Vegetables, greengrocer produce, around the city is pretty poor for the most part, but this may be due to location as when we’ve bought groceries around my wife’s home town in Rhode Island it’s been better.

In general I’d say the quality of food in the UK is higher.
  • Options
    stodge said:

DM_Andy said:

More than 2/3 of the original members of the SDP hadn't been in any political party before. Don't estimate the appeal of any alternative to disillusioned ex-Conservatives, ex-Labour and even ex-LD supporters.
    I wasn't around when the SDP was formed, but it feels like in the current climate the first question anyone wanting to support a new party would ask is, 'who did the members of it used to belong to?' Since there would be high profile people backing it (otherwise it really would go nowhere), I am sure concerns would immediately arise if there were too many former Tories, or Labour figures, or LDs, or whoever, and that would put a lot of people off. It seems to me that the disillusioned ex-somethings sometimes seem just as reluctant to break bread with anyone on the other side as those who still a part of it.

And of course some end up returning to the fold.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

TGOHF said:

IME (in and around NYC mostly) chicken is no better or worse than in the UK. Beef is much better than in the UK (it’s far more likely to be grass-fed here) and pork (as pork, rather than bacon or other processed pork) is generally better or as good as here too. Lamb, when you can find it, is much worse.
    Really? I love lamb, but if it is a pale imitation of the good stuff, I wonder what I have beenmissing.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Fire reported on the 50th floor of the Trump Tower in Manhattan.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    That sort of comment is making me think if someone were to start a new centrist party at least partly on that basis, then the public might end up surprising and it ensures he becomes PM somehow.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

TGOHF said:

IME (in and around NYC mostly) chicken is no better or worse than in the UK. Beef is much better than in the UK (it’s far more likely to be grass-fed here) and pork (as pork, rather than bacon or other processed pork) is generally better or as good as here too. Lamb, when you can find it, is much worse. Fish is generally poor unless you can find a supplier who lands it as close possible to where you are: we have a supplier at our farmer’s market who lands it in Long Island Sound so its generally good, but we don’t buy fish from our local supermarkets now after getting literally rotten or wormy cuts.

Vegetables, greengrocer produce, around the city is pretty poor for the most part, but this may be due to location as when we’ve bought groceries around my wife’s home town in Rhode Island it’s been better.

And that's before you get onto the rubbery cheese, funny milk, sour chocolate, and general scarcity of decent fresh healthy restaurant food once you get away from either coast.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

Watch it go nowhere...

And yet the situation with France is not exactly the same as here. He was up against mainstream parties which were doing very very badly in the polls compared to how well Labour and the Tories are doing. And he still only managed a small amount in the first round of the presidential poll, and was then up against Le Pen.

Which is not to say what he achieved was not remarkable, particularly the aftermath and the parliamentary voting, it was remarkable, but I really don't see that much we can cling to here about challenging the duopoly. We had parties that ensured we had gotten to a 2.5 party system perhaps, but public support collapsed for both, with only one, the LDs, even in a position to have another go of things.

One thing I have noticed a lot since I started following politics is that whenever one (or both) sides, dismiss something, one theory proposed it always that it shows how much they 'fear' the thing they are dismissing. On occasion it can be true, but I have never seen why the mere dismissing demonstrates that - sometimes when people, even the most partisan of partisans, dismiss something, it is because they find it worthy of dismissal, not because they fear it. It's the same sort of logic as used by those partisans, in that if they are attacked by the right people, then it shows they are doing something right. Sometimes. But sometimes even the enemy have a point.

I'd be very interested to see a new party emerge, not a tiny thing to be dismissed, but a genuine attempt at a rebalancing of our political landscape. Even if it failed, the attempt would be fascinating. But I also think it would go nowhere.
    Also the presidential election enabled constructing a party around a charismatic individual in a way that simply isn't possible in our political system.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    IanB2 said:

rpjs said:

TGOHF said:

And that's before you get onto the rubbery cheese, funny milk, sour chocolate, and general scarcity of decent fresh healthy restaurant food once you get away from either coast.
    Try eating a Ginsters pastie and living.

Both UK and USA have good and bad food. Get over it.
This discussion has been closed.