Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » So who wants to be the British Emmanuel Macron? There’s £50 mi

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,117

Panelbase poll of Scotland for The Sunday Times

Westminster (changes since September)

SNP 36% (-5%)

Con 28% (+1%)

Lab 27% (+3%),

Lib Dems 6% (nc)

Greens 2%(nc)

Seats: Conservative 13 (no change), Labour 13 (+6), Lib Dem 4 (no change) and SNP 29 (-6)

However, there is no change in how Scots would vote in a second independence referendum since the last Panelbase poll, with 43% for “yes” and 57% for “no”.

That would see the SNP no longer holding the majority of the Scottish seats, which would take some wind out their sails.
    Yeah, look at all that influence that we had when we had 56 out of 59 seats.
    Lots of gags about pandas, though....

Truly, it was a Golden Age of Scottish politics.

*chortle*
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,663
    May's ratings stronger among GE17 voters than Corbyn's:

Net 'Well' (among own GE17 voters):
    May: +57
    Corbyn: +25

And 'Leave' voters really don't like Corbyn:
    Net 'well' Leave/Remain:
    May: +18 / -16
    Corbyn: -55 / -7

So May leads Corbyn by 73 points among Leave voters, and lags him by 9 among Remain voters...

http://www.deltapoll.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Observer-poll-Apr18.pdf
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Mark, one for every colour of the rainbow.

It's a cunning plan to get Labour a better leader. There's no way Corbyn will be able to resist joining the Reds.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,076
    tlg86 said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5998313/justice-secretary-john-worboys-parole/

'I'M TO BLAME' Justice Secretary David Gauke admits he was to blame for the John Worboys parole shambles which almost saw the rapist walked free

Resign!

What about the dozens of other violent criminals who the parole board allows out early ?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    stodge said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

Morning all :)

A new party, if successful, would be an existential threat to the Conservatives, Labour and the Lib Dems just as UKIP turned out to be.

Slightly over-egging the chances of the new party, don't you think?
    Not at all. The SDP came very close to challenging Labour and the Conservatives. The collapse of the Conservative vote in the Greenwich by-election showed what could happen to the party's vote once its voters realised Labour weren't going to be the beneficiaries if they deserted the Tories.

I also said, if you bothered to read what I actually said instead of firing off a half-baked response, "if successful".
    That sort of implies that the party would enjoy some sort of hegemony over British politics, if successful. I find that hard to believe.
  • Options
    Interestingly, although Corbyn scores better in London (-5) than May (-14), on the economy May/Hammond (44) still beat Corbyn/McDonald in London (31) - with the gap +13 points the same as GB.

The biggest gap is in the South (27 points) while only the North (34 vs 33) is a tie, everywhere else May & Hammond ahead.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

Morning all :)

A new party, if successful, would be an existential threat to the Conservatives, Labour and the Lib Dems just as UKIP turned out to be.

Slightly over-egging the chances of the new party, don't you think?
    Not at all. The SDP came very close to challenging Labour and the Conservatives. The collapse of the Conservative vote in the Greenwich by-election showed what could happen to the party's vote once its voters realised Labour weren't going to be the beneficiaries if they deserted the Tories.

I also said, if you bothered to read what I actually said instead of firing off a half-baked response, "if successful".
    That sort of implies that the party would enjoy some sort of hegemony over British politics, if successful. I find that hard to believe.
    Well yes. Reading the Guardian article it implies their ambition is to create some sort of one-party state. It's one thing to have an ambition to remove the worst aspect of partisanship from politics. But that can only happen if the circumstances can be created for existing parties to work together more often in the national interest. Not by setting up a new single political movement to replace them.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

SNP 36% (-5%)

Con 28% (+1%)

Lab 27% (+3%),

Lib Dems 6% (nc)

Greens 2%(nc)

Seats: Conservative 13 (no change), Labour 13 (+6), Lib Dem 4 (no change) and SNP 29 (-6)

However, there is no change in how Scots would vote in a second independence referendum since the last Panelbase poll, with 43% for “yes” and 57% for “no”.

That would see the SNP no longer holding the majority of the Scottish seats, which would take some wind out their sails.
    The past is another country - which still wants to be part of the UK.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited April 2018
    tlg86 said:

'I'M TO BLAME' Justice Secretary David Gauke admits he was to blame for the John Worboys parole shambles which almost saw the rapist walked free

Resign!

Gauke's words from the Sun:
    “Look, I made the decision. I accept responsibility, so I’m not hiding behind my advisers. It’s my responsibility entirely.” After “a lot of hard thinking” Mr Gauke is determined to stay

Satire is dead.
  • Options

May's ratings stronger among GE17 voters than Corbyn's:

Net 'Well' (among own GE17 voters):
    May: +57
    Corbyn: +25

And 'Leave' voters really don't like Corbyn:
    Net 'well' Leave/Remain:
    May: +18 / -16
    Corbyn: -55 / -7

So May leads Corbyn by 73 points among Leave voters, and lags him by 9 among Remain voters...

http://www.deltapoll.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Observer-poll-Apr18.pdf

All those Remain voters are really going to pour out in their droves next time, now they realise they are voting for Brexit's Bessy Mate.....

*chortle*
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,081
    felix said:

SNP 36% (-5%)

Con 28% (+1%)

Lab 27% (+3%),

Lib Dems 6% (nc)

Greens 2%(nc)

I'm not quite sure if you intended to suggest that wanting to be part of the UK is the past, but well done anyway.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854
    RobD said:

No it doesn't. Perhaps we need to define what a "successful" new party would be. 30% in an opinion poll, 20%, 5% ?

Do we consider UKIP successful ? Yes, because it achieved what it set out to achieve. Beyond wanting a referendum which would take Britain out of the EU, UKIP had no other purpose - it had policies on other issues but everyone ignored them. Its success came as a result of forcing other parties to change around them.

The same criteria should apply to any new party. It's not just opinion poll ratings, its the degree to which the new party changes or forces change on existing parties which know they can only survive by adapting.

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    Ha ha, Observer print another page 50 correction to Carole Cadwalladr’s story from last weekend. How many more corrections before she’s completely discredited?
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    Perhaps we do need a new party for those of us who have conservative values but feel despondent when Conservative ministers like Dominic Raab decide that he will blame immigrants for our housing problems - immigration lifts house prices by 20% over 25 years.. let’s ignore the rest of the 400%+ increase

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tory-housing-minister-dominic-raab-warns-that-immigration-has-pushed-up-house-prices-n27b7lq8j?shareToken=db85cd7e97a36579d4d388a558194a9b
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    Sandpit said:

Ha ha, Observer print another page 50 correction to Carole Cadwalladr’s story from last weekend. How many more corrections before she’s completely discredited?

At the very least she and they need to be a little more cautious about how big a scoop they claim to have - as it is, whatever the merits they appear to allow their excitement get in the way of some fact checking.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    Wise words from George Mitchell on Andrew Marr this morning on the subject of negotiation.

He said that the hardest part was not negotiating with the other side but going back to your own side with the inevitable compromise and selling the deal to them. That's the hardest part he said.

I wonder who has the hardest task on Brexit. Is it Theresa May selling it to her MPs and Parliament or is it Michel Barnier selling it to 27 EU national governments and the EU parliament?

I suspect it is Theresa May because the UK will be making most of the compromises as we have seen, and the issue is a red hot emotional button in the Tory party in a way it isn't in the rest of the EU.

I'm still of the view that this is going to be a very soft BINO and the focus in October will be on what happens to the Tory Party rather than on what Labour does.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Wise words from George Mitchell on Andrew Marr this morning on the subject of negotiation.

He said that the hardest part was not negotiating with the other side but going back to your own side with the inevitable compromise and selling the deal to them. That's the hardest part he said.

I wonder who has the hardest task on Brexit. Is it Theresa May selling it to her MPs and Parliament or is it Michel Barnier selling it to 27 EU national governments and the EU parliament?

I suspect it is Theresa May because the UK will be making most of the compromises as we have seen, and the issue is a red hot emotional button in the Tory party in a way it isn't in the rest of the EU.

I'm still of the view that this is going to be a very soft BINO and the focus in October will be on what happens to the Tory Party rather than on what Labour does.

Cameron failed to sell what he got to the public. May will need to do better. And as I think Cameron was better than May, it won't be easy. Even with some fatigue leading to more accepting it than might otherwise be the case, given how unpleasable ultras are whatever side they are on, I don't know how May gets past the Brexiteers.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Sandpit said:

That isn't a major correction though, is it? It doesn't undermine the basic story.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

At the very least she and they need to be a little more cautious about how big a scoop they claim to have - as it is, whatever the merits they appear to allow their excitement get in the way of some fact checking.
    On Marr this morning it was said Cadwalladr left the studio in tears after last weeks appearance
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    edited April 2018
    kle4 said:

Barnesian said:

Cameron failed to sell what he got to the public. May will need to do better. And as I think Cameron was better than May, it won't be easy. Even with some fatigue leading to more accepting it than might otherwise be the case, given how unpleasable ultras are whatever side they are on, I don't know how May gets past the Brexiteers.
    Maybe the new party is born out of a Tory spilt, analogous to the birth of the SDP?

The NLP - the New Liberal Party in alliance with the Liberal Democrats - the Alliance for short.

EDIT: Founding members include George Osborne and Anna Soubry.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

That isn't a major correction though, is it? It doesn't undermine the basic story.
    The point is that getting basic and easily verifiable facts wrong, even minor ones, provides opportunity to undermine whatever other points are being made. It's sloppy and gives reason to doubt other claims being made. After all, maybe there'll be a further correction next week, they now have form 2 weeks in a row.

If they have such a big story, they need to check what they are claiming better than they have so far.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

kle4 said:

Barnesian said:

Maybe the new party is born out of a Tory spilt, analogous to the birth of the SDP?

The NLP - the New Liberal Party in alliance with the Liberal Democrats - the Alliance for short.
    Doesn't sound too bad in theory. Devil in the details.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,294
    edited April 2018
    kle4 said:

Barnesian said:

I doubt there is much they can do - governing is more important to the conservative party and no one in the party will open the door to Corbyn

Adonis on Sky was sad this morning - he seems to have lost his sanity
  • Options

Sandpit said:

If they can't do simple basic fact checking - how much confidence should we have in the rest of the story?
  • Options

felix said:

SNP 36% (-5%)

Con 28% (+1%)

Lab 27% (+3%),

Lib Dems 6% (nc)

Greens 2%(nc)

I'm not quite sure if you intended to suggest that wanting to be part of the UK is the past, but well done anyway.
    If you'd only stopped at sure....
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Sandpit said:

Cadwalladr and the Observer are so determined to push the non-story about the Leave campaign’s use of data, that they’re completely blind to the errors in their own reporting. The continued factual corrections only reinforce the impression that they are being sloppy journalists.

The red-haired guy they put up on Marr this morning to try and keep pushing it, got taken apart as much as Cadwalladr herself did last week.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Barnesian said:

I doubt there is much they can do - governing is more important to the conservative party and no on in the party will open the door to Corbyn
    Not intentionally. But the most strident Brexiters in the party rebelled for decades on the european issue - if they think we are getting BINO, then quite frankly they should continue to rebel whatever the cost. If they think splitting the party is not worth getting a proper Brexit, they they should not really have bothered to go for it at all. (Some will be happier with softer brexits of course, I am thinking of the head bangers).

And now to enjoy a nice walk in the British spring - wet weather gear essential. Cheerio.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,984

tlg86 said:

Resign!

“Look, I made the decision. I accept responsibility, so I’m not hiding behind my advisers. It’s my responsibility entirely.” After “a lot of hard thinking” Mr Gauke is determined to stay

Satire is dead.
    What does one expect from someone who sits in Cabinet with Johnson?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Resign!

Satire is dead.
    Refreshing for a Minister to accept blame. It is too rare to be honest and should be welcomed. Many more politicians on all sides should learn the lesson
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232

kle4 said:

Barnesian said:

I doubt there is much they can do - governing is more important to the conservative party and no one in the party will open the door to Corbyn

Adonis on Sky was sad this morning - he seems to have lost his sanity
    Lord Adonis had sanity to lose?

May I ask what evidence you have for this assertion?

The only reason he wasn't the most malign and destructive force in the history of British education is that Woodhead and Gove have set the bar so extraordinarily high.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Resign!

Satire is dead.
    Refreshing for a Minister to accept blame. It is too rare to be honest and should be welcomed. Many more politicians on all sides should learn the lesson
    The guilty should suffer no sanction? An interesting view from a Tory.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,996
    Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Adonis on Sky News now.

First round of the British Touring Car Championship about to start on ITV4. Which of the two will be the biggest car crash?
    Thanks for the reminder; I'd forgotten. A safety car on the first lap, and my favourite driver off ...
  • Options

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Adonis on Sky News now.

First round of the British Touring Car Championship about to start on ITV4. Which of the two will be the biggest car crash?
    Thanks for the reminder; I'd forgotten. A safety car on the first lap, and my favourite driver off ...
    I’m sure we haven’t seen the end of the safety car with 32 tin-tops on the short track at a rather wet Brands Hatch. Very, err, close racing. :D
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,996
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Adonis on Sky News now.

I’m sure we haven’t seen the end of the safety car with 32 tin-tops on the short track at a rather wet Brands Hatch. Very, err, close racing. :D
    You often get more excitement in one BTCC race than you get in an entire F1 race; and there are two more BTCC races per day!

Then again, the organisers do like (ahem) artificially throwing safety cars and the like into the mix.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Resign!

Satire is dead.
    Why so partisan - I would say the same if a labour politician accepred blame.

Even labour commentators on the media were complimenting him.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Rexel56 said:

Perhaps we do need a new party for those of us who have conservative values but feel despondent when Conservative ministers like Dominic Raab decide that he will blame immigrants for our housing problems - immigration lifts house prices by 20% over 25 years.. let’s ignore the rest of the 400%+ increase

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tory-housing-minister-dominic-raab-warns-that-immigration-has-pushed-up-house-prices-n27b7lq8j?shareToken=db85cd7e97a36579d4d388a558194a9b

What a ridiculous calculation !

I mean, I can't see how it is possible to take one factor affecting house prices and separate it out from all the others, except by an untestable and unverifiable set of model assumptions.

"Based on the ONS data, the advice to me from the department is that in the last 25 years we have seen immigration put house prices up by something like 20%"

So, it seems as though a civil servant did this calculation using ONS data.

As a rule of thumb, I'd distrust any statistical calculation presented without errors or uncertainties or confidence limits.

Such a calculation has been done by someone who does not know the very first thing about statistics.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

tlg86 said:

Resign!

Satire is dead.

It’s a horribly difficult case, the real mistakes made were more than a decade ago and it’s not a good look for politicians to get involved too much in the criminal justice system. It is, however, a good reason for greater consideration to be given to consecutive sentencing in certain cases, where there are aggravating circumstances to multiple offences.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

tlg86 said:

Resign!

Satire is dead.

'It's all my fault and though I leant on Nick Hardwick to resign, I'm going to carry on'.

I seem to recall when Hardwick resigned there were PB Tories exonerating Gauke from any blame for the whole clusterfcuk.

Treble reverse ferrets all round!
  • Options

Rexel56 said:

I mean, I can't see how it is possible to take one factor affecting house prices and separate it out from all the others, except by an untestable and unverifiable set of model assumptions.

"Based on the ONS data, the advice to me from the department is that in the last 25 years we have seen immigration put house prices up by something like 20%"

As a rule of thumb, I'd distrust any statistical calculation presented without errors or uncertainties or confidence limits.

Such a calculation has been done by someone who does not know the very first thing about statistics.
    As a rule of thumb I distrust all calculations done by civil servants and politicians in their professional capacity.

It is a rule of thumb that has served me quite well over the years.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    ydoethur said:

Rexel56 said:

As a rule of thumb I distrust all calculations done by civil servants and politicians in their professional capacity.

Da iawn!
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Adonis on Sky News now.

You often get more excitement in one BTCC race than you get in an entire F1 race; and there are two more BTCC races per day!

Then again, the organisers do like (ahem) artificially throwing safety cars and the like into the mix.
    Absolutely. Always try and catch a race or two live when I’m in the UK, a great day out with loads of action and a full weekend of support races.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854

Whatever May and Davis come back with will be the acid test or moment of truth for the Conservative Party. I have no doubts the pro-May apologists will claim the Treaty as the greatest feat of negotiation since the selling of the Brooklyn Bridge.

As you say, the Conservatives will be on the horns of their own dilemma - party or principle ? If, as many are starting to suspect, it's BINO, how will the JRMs of this world react ? Will they swallow whatever is served up at Mrs May's Conservative Fudge Stall or will they risk splitting the Party and bringing down the Government on a point of principle (which is as good a reason as any).

It's a balancing act and naturally May's primary concern will be holding the Conservative Party together through transition. As you say, the "fear of Corbyn" will help but if it looks as though the Conservatives are leading and will win anyway that won't be such a factor. It will be as it was after 1992 when some Conservatives seemed to believe they could do and say whatever they liked and never lose.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,760
    edited April 2018

RobD said:

Remember when Juncker congratulated Putin?

twitter.com/hackneylad/status/981841685037617153

Emphasis on final term in office?
    Juncker wrote congratulations on your re-election while May, did not, despite what @hackneylad said - focussing instead on "democratic transition" and "term limits".....
    Ahem

President Donald J Trump (USA) "I called President Putin of Russia to congratulate him on his election victory (in past, Obama called him also). The Fake News Media is crazed because they wanted me to excoriate him. They are wrong! Getting along with Russia (and others) is a good thing, not a bad thing.......", see here

Prime Minister Narendra Modi (India) "has congratulated Russian President Vladimir Putin on his victory in the presidential polls and expressed hope that under his leadership, the India-Russia strategic partnership will continue to grow from strength to strength", see here
  • Options
    viewcode said:

RobD said:

Juncker wrote congratulations on your re-election while May, did not, despite what @hackneylad said - focussing instead on "democratic transition" and "term limits".....
    Ahem

President Donald J Trump (USA) "I called President Putin of Russia to congratulate him on his election victory (in past, Obama called him also). The Fake News Media is crazed because they wanted me to excoriate him. They are wrong! Getting along with Russia (and others) is a good thing, not a bad thing.......", see here

Prime Minister Narendra Modi (India) "has congratulated Russian President Vladimir Putin on his victory in the presidential polls and expressed hope that under his leadership, the India-Russia strategic partnership will continue to grow from strength to strength", see here
    Thank you - while other congratulated the winners of dodgy elections - May did not
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Any news from Magyarország?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Any news from Magyarország?

Looks like the polls close a lot earlier there than here, so we should know things this evening.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

SNP 36% (-5%)

Con 28% (+1%)

Lab 27% (+3%),

Lib Dems 6% (nc)

Greens 2%(nc)

I will be surprised if the SNP manage 33% next time and expect Labour to reach 30%.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    This car racing must be a great sport if the most exciting thing to discuss is whether there will be a rolling roadblock on the road.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Rentool, nobody complained it was dull when my 250/1 winning tip came off ;)

Anyway, I'm off. The post-race article may be up this evening, but tomorrow is more probable. Play nicely, children.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited April 2018

More Tory astroturfing:

Half of the electorate believes that there are at least pockets of antisemitism in the Labour party, according to a poll.

A third (34%) of voters also believe that Jeremy Corbyn is among those in the party who hold antisemitic views, despite his repeated denials and pledge to be a “militant opponent” of the problem.

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2018/apr/08/labour-antisemitism-opinion-poll?__twitter_impression=true

Then it’s even more surprising that Labour’s VI has pretty much held up (Populus on Friday certainly indicated that the story hadn’t registered on the public’s radar the way that this poll is showing). Interestingly they show Boris as having around the same approval to Corbyn which contradicts YouGov (Boris does worse with them). Looks like Deltapoll are another new pollster. Will be interesting to see how well they do in the coming years.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    The idea of a new party is complete pie in the sky. The British have an odd attitude: we dismiss all politicians as incompetent or venal swines, yet if anyone new tries to break into the political scene we sneer at them and tell them to leave it to the professionals. The one exception is perhaps Farage, but it was only extraordinary circumstances combined with his personal alchemy that allowed him to become the most successful - albeit wantonly destructive - politician of modern times.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,996
    stodge said:

As you say, the Conservatives will be on the horns of their own dilemma - party or principle ? If, as many are starting to suspect, it's BINO, how will the JRMs of this world react ? Will they swallow whatever is served up at Mrs May's Conservative Fudge Stall or will they risk splitting the Party and bringing down the Government on a point of principle (which is as good a reason as any).

JRM's Leage of Extraordinary Leavers have been dragged across every one of their red lines so far by May with only token mewling. They'll swallow BINO if only because if it all fucks up they can blame it on being the wrong type of Brexit.
  • Options
    Fucking edit button has disappeared. I blame David Davis.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Fucking edit button has disappeared. I blame David Davis.

It's exited in name only - if you hover over where it should be it will appear.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,939

malcolmg said:

Yes lying through his teeth is the British way for sure. You Tory fanboys are easily pleased when you think that government ministers blatantly lying to the public is handling a crisis well. Is it any Surprise England (sic UK ) is at the bottom of the 3rd division. Stupid compliant Donkeys led by loathsome lying Donkeys

THE quango meant to help [Scottish] firms succeed was blasted — for having no business plan.

Scottish Enterprise has not published its strategy for the next 12 months, even though the new tax year started on Friday.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/2472416/scottish-enterprise-no-business-plan/
    LOL, using SUN to prove a point just confirms your desperation. I see you avoided the topic at hand and used some obscure comment from that right wing toilet paper rag to avoid admitting the Tories have lied unashamedly on the subject. How very Tory.
    What has Scottish Enterprise not publishing their 2018 plan got to do with Tory lies on Russia etc. As I said keep trying to say "Squirrel" , a few dummies may believe you.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

Mr. Rentool, nobody complained it was dull when my 250/1 winning tip came off ;)

Anyway, I'm off. The post-race article may be up this evening, but tomorrow is more probable. Play nicely, children.

Remind us please about the 260/1 tip.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

https://twitter.com/hackneylad/status/981841685037617153

We have interests in the Middle East we need to protect.
    Yes , lots of bombs and missiles to sell for sure.
  • Options

More Tory astroturfing:

Half of the electorate believes that there are at least pockets of antisemitism in the Labour party, according to a poll.

A third (34%) of voters also believe that Jeremy Corbyn is among those in the party who hold antisemitic views, despite his repeated denials and pledge to be a “militant opponent” of the problem.

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2018/apr/08/labour-antisemitism-opinion-poll?__twitter_impression=true

Then it’s even more surprising that Labour’s VI has pretty much held up
    Not really. People think it is a problem, but not so big a problem it is worth changing party voting intention for. They probably think all parties are at it.

The idea of a new party is complete pie in the sky. The British have an odd attitude: we dismiss all politicians as incompetent or venal swines, yet if anyone new tries to break into the political scene we sneer at them and tell them to leave it to the professionals.

A fair point.

I was struck by the confident assertion of, who else, the Greens, about the people being sick of one party councils and I immediately thought 'But they aren't though, that's why they keep electing them'. Granted FPTP plays a big role there, but people are claimed to be sick of many things, when they keep proving otherwise.
    Dura_Ace said:

stodge said:

They'll swallow BINO if only because if it all fucks up they can blame it on being the wrong type of Brexit.
    I suppose so. They can always decide to cause trouble later if they find they cannot stomach BINO, whereas before they wouldn't have even had that.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

SNP 36% (-5%)

Con 28% (+1%)

Lab 27% (+3%),

Lib Dems 6% (nc)

Greens 2%(nc)

Looks like no new indyref anytime soon especially as the Holyrood figures for that poll have the SNP falling from 46% at the last Scottish Parliament elections to 40% now which would mean a Unionist majority at Holyrood
    Anything that stops the screeching of First Minister Sturgeon has to be welcomed.
    As opposed to whiners from Westminster. At least Sturgeon can string a sentence together without any lies.
  • Options

Remind us please about the 260/1 tip.
    Max Verstappen to win his first race after he transferred to Red Bull. Spain 2016 from memory.
  • Options

felix said:

SNP 36% (-5%)

Con 28% (+1%)

Lab 27% (+3%),

Lib Dems 6% (nc)

Greens 2%(nc)

They are not the sharpest tools in the box TUD
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Yes lying through his teeth is the British way for sure. You Tory fanboys are easily pleased when you think that government ministers blatantly lying to the public is handling a crisis well. Is it any Surprise England (sic UK ) is at the bottom of the 3rd division. Stupid compliant Donkeys led by loathsome lying Donkeys

THE quango meant to help [Scottish] firms succeed was blasted — for having no business plan.

Scottish Enterprise has not published its strategy for the next 12 months, even though the new tax year started on Friday.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/2472416/scottish-enterprise-no-business-plan/
    LOL, using SUN to prove a point just confirms your desperation.
    The Sun's opinions are well known for being set.

As a result they often get a rise out of their targets...
  • Options
    justin124 said:

SNP 36% (-5%)

Con 28% (+1%)

Lab 27% (+3%),

Lib Dems 6% (nc)

Greens 2%(nc)

I will be surprised if the SNP manage 33% next time and expect Labour to reach 30%.
    Would you like a wager on that
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited April 2018
    Wing-nut in chief - and that's me being kind.

https://twitter.com/DerbyChrisW/status/982923067662983168
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Resign!

Satire is dead.
    Absolute no-users but will cling on at trough till dragged out screaming. How low can the Tories get.
  • Options

Do you suppose Chris Williamson would let me know the name of his supplier if I asked him nicely?

It would be really nice to be able to exit the fairly brutal reality I'm being forced to live in at this moment on demand.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Whearas doctors have never had an overinflated sense of their own ability, oh dear me no... :)

• Options
    malcolmg said:

tlg86 said:

Resign!

Satire is dead.
    Absolute no-users but will cling on at trough till dragged out screaming. How low can the Tories get.
    Well, they effectively gave us Tony Blair.

So a fair way to go before that disaster happens again!
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

Whearas doctors have never had an overinflated sense of their own ability, oh dear me no... :)

Of course not. That would be impossible.

How can we improve on absolute perfection? :wink:
  • Options

viewcode said:

RobD said:

Ahem

Thank you - while other congratulated the winners of dodgy elections - May did not
    You're welcome
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

A new party needs a credo before it needs cash. Otherwise this is just Brewster’s Millions in real life.

If people had a 20 year vision they could start with being a regional party in London
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Someone should tell him what his party's position is, so he can realise they are supporting, essentially, 'The Tory' line, with minor modification.

I like Williamson though - he's living proof that Labour could indeed do a lot lot worse than Corbyn; Jeremy has some dignity, a bit of gravitas, a pleasant manner at least. And Jeremy really doesn't look that extreme next to Williamson.
  • Options
    Charles said:

A new party needs a credo before it needs cash. Otherwise this is just Brewster’s Millions in real life.

If people had a 20 year vision they could start with being a regional party in London
    The 'turn the M25 into a moat' party?

It has a certain ring to it...
  • Options
    I see the BBC has toned down its homepage headline of the Bojo 'useful idiot' attack on Corbyn. Now it is just 'Politicians in "idiot" row over poisoning'. Someone in the impartiality department must have been on to soften the tone of the original.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    @kle4 Yes, now seeing this - this indicates as to why the story isn’t affecting Labour’s VI much - from the same poll: https://twitter.com/JoeTwyman/status/982894081654382592?s=20
  • Options
    Apparently 'Norfolk Island' have picked up a bronze medal in the Commonwealth Games. Cannot say I was familiar with them.
  • Options
    In some random wikipedia-ing, stumbled across a supposedly centrist political movement that already exists

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/More_United

70000+ members apparently. I've never heard of them.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Someone should tell him what his party's position is, so he can realise they are supporting, essentially, 'The Tory' line, with minor modification.

I like Williamson though - he's living proof that Labour could indeed do a lot lot worse than Corbyn; Jeremy has some dignity, a bit of gravitas, a pleasant manner at least. And Jeremy really doesn't look that extreme next to Williamson.
    In the same way that Stalin didn't look that much of a murderous bastard next to Hitler?
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:
    A Tory HQ source told the paper it was a case of “youthful exuberance” which occurred before Ms Badenoch was a candidate and did not constitute a serious offence

...She was 28 for christ's sake.

As you say, strange to make the admission.

Although it was unintentional, this admission from last year blows it out of the water though

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-39144530/green-party-co-leader-opens-up-about-car-crash-killing
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

In the same way that Stalin didn't look that much of a murderous bastard next to Hitler?
    I would not go so far. But I think it is clear that Williamson is Corbyn's useful idiot.

What is it about politicians named Williamson?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

felix said:

SNP 36% (-5%)

Con 28% (+1%)

Lab 27% (+3%),

Lib Dems 6% (nc)

Greens 2%(nc)

They are not the sharpest tools in the box TUD
    Lol - those sliding poll numbers going down like a bucket of cold sick.
  • Options

@kle4 Yes, now seeing this - this indicates as to why the story isn’t affecting Labour’s VI much - from the same poll: ttps://twitter.com/JoeTwyman/status/982894081654382592?s=20

All political parties and voluntary organisations have issues with undesirables getting involved.

What’s important is that they can deal with these problems institutionally, with a clear process of educating, suspending and expelling as appropriate those who express views counter to those of the party.

The reason for Labour’s problems is that at best their processes have broken down, and at worst appear to be condoning certain types of racism by their inaction.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    malcolmg said:

justin124 said:

SNP 36% (-5%)

Con 28% (+1%)

Lab 27% (+3%),

Lib Dems 6% (nc)

Greens 2%(nc)

Would you like a wager on that
    I don't bet but I do not recall your prediction of 21 SNP losses in 2017.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

The 'turn the M25 into a moat' party?

It has a certain ring to it...
    In 2018, the number of hipsters in the United Kingdom rises four hundred percent. The once great city of London becomes the one maximum security polenta cafe for the entire country. A fifty-foot containment wall is erected from Slough, up to Potter's Bar, down to Greys, then Redhill and back to Slough. It completely surrounds the M25. All railways, bridges and motorways are mined. The United Kingdom Police Force, like an army, is encamped around the prison. There are no guards inside the prison, only prisoners and the worlds they have made.

The rules are simple: once you go in, you don't come out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBWC2p_T738
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Since the plan, such as it exists, seems to not directly try for sitting MP defections, and if the leader of a new group were to be ex-tory or ex-labour it would immediately be seen as being just for that group, a complete political unknown might even be a better option to Front things, famous and charismatic but not obviously one or the other. God knows who fits the bill.

Eddie Izzard?
  • Options
    DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 332
    kle4 said:

In some random wikipedia-ing, stumbled across a supposedly centrist political movement that already exists

Didn't Paddy Ashdown immediately disown them when it was pointed out that supporting another party's candidate over the official Lib Dem would be an explusion offence?
  • Options
    Charles said:

kle4 said:

Since the plan, such as it exists, seems to not directly try for sitting MP defections, and if the leader of a new group were to be ex-tory or ex-labour it would immediately be seen as being just for that group, a complete political unknown might even be a better option to Front things, famous and charismatic but not obviously one or the other. God knows who fits the bill.

Eddie Izzard?
    'Not one or the other' . I think it is pretty clear Mr Izzard is a Labour man, even if only us anoraks knew prior to a week or so ago.
  • Options
    Charles said:

kle4 said:

Eddie Izzard?
    Alan Titchmarsh. Sweeping the country as head of the Garden Party....
  • Options
    DM_Andy said:

kle4 said:

Didn't Paddy Ashdown immediately disown them when it was pointed out that supporting another party's candidate over the official Lib Dem would be an explusion offence?
    You may be right. Some light googling shows that he helped found it, and some people figured it was just the LDs in disguise as they are heavily involved..
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    kle4 said:

I see the BBC has toned down its homepage headline of the Bojo 'useful idiot' attack on Corbyn. Now it is just 'Politicians in "idiot" row over poisoning'. Someone in the impartiality department must have been on to soften the tone of the original.

Boris is getting ready to take on Corbyn at next GE.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/hackneylad/status/981841685037617153

That was shortly after Putin tried to murder some people in the UK.

When did Sisi do that?
  • Options
    Can we all agree that the cliche "useful idiot" has been fucked to death? Nobody should use it until they have read and fully parsed Volkogonov's "Lenin:A New Biography" in order to properly understand its context.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Alan Sugar.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

kle4 said:

Alan Sugar.
    On the basis of this tweet Sugar seems barely Trump-level literate.

https://twitter.com/Lord_Sugar/status/982448851830431745

• Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Dura_Ace said:

Can we all agree that the cliche "useful idiot" has been fucked to death? Nobody should use it until they have read and fully parsed Volkogonov's "Lenin:A New Biography" in order to properly understand its context.

Words and phrases take on their own popular meaning, which can be completely at odds with its original purpose. 'Useful idiot' works very well in this circumstance.

• Options

Dura_Ace said:

Words and phrases take on their own popular meaning, which can be completely at odds with its original purpose.
    Quite so. I think its generally used form now is understood.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Resign!

Satire is dead.

'It's all my fault and though I leant on Nick Hardwick to resign, I'm going to carry on'.

I seem to recall when Hardwick resigned there were PB Tories exonerating Gauke from any blame for the whole clusterfcuk.

Treble reverse ferrets all round!
    If Gauke was a man of honour he’d ask Hardwick to come back.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Apparently 'Norfolk Island' have picked up a bronze medal in the Commonwealth Games. Cannot say I was familiar with them.

Wasn’t it the penal colony for Australian convicts in the 1800’s?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Words and phrases take on their own popular meaning, which can be completely at odds with its original purpose.
    Quite so. I think its generally used form now is understood.
    Absolutely.
    It's very easily understood as a phrase righties throw out when they want to associate lefties with Marxist Leninism and the excesses of the Soviet Union (which by some miracle of transmutation are still defining qualities of Putin's Russia).
This discussion has been closed.