Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The must win the for LAB on May 3rd – Barnet with its sizeable

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744

tlg86 said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Completely off topic - just spent over 3k on 2 "bells and whistles" gaming pc's only to find that the wi fi card provided is absolutely shite.

Old PC I got 45MBPS routinely - on this one below 3M.

They are coming in tomorrow to replace the cards - too bloody right!!!

What games are you looking to run?
    Basically anything from strategy games to first person shoot em ups and racing games - but reinstalling them from steam is not happening tonight
    Nice. Strategy games are my favourite.
    Someone should do a Brexit game.
    Rule one

The player representing the UK shall hold all the cards throughout the first part of the game.

Rule Two

No player representing the EU will be allowed to hold the Trump Cards at any point up to March 2019 (except for the final moments of the game).

Rule three

If the player representing the UK is unhappy with the progress of the game a GE may be called at short notice

ETC ETC
    Claps
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,611
    chloe said:

Foxy said:

chloe said:

AndyJS said:

Labour are defending a 9 vote majority in the Hale ward on Barnet council. The population is about 20% Jewish. Ed of course was Labour leader at the last election in 2014.

One of the current Conservative councillors in this ward, ambitious outgoing housing chair, is not standing again. The other current Conservative councillor for Hale has shifted to a safer seat. This is one of the wards that Labour hope they can take as long as the Jewish problem does not spoil it.
    I see in East Barnet, Lab gained 3 with fairly small majorities. There is only 1, not 3, Greens this time, so reckoned 3 Lab holds. Does this sound reasonable?
    Seems reasonable to me. The other ward to watch is Childs Hill, I think this will either revert to the Lib Dems as it was before 2014 or go entirely Labour.
    Yes, quite a tight 3 way battle, potential for Con losses depending how it shakes out. I don't think Brexit is popular there, this is a different ward but a current Tory candidate:

https://twitter.com/rozgab/status/983833124563030016?s=19
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    Mortimer said:

Oooh, now this will be popular. Nothing worse than going on a date with a pleb, I'll dump anyone who doesn't know what a fish knife is.

There’s a dating app exclusively for people who went to private school

http://metro.co.uk/2018/04/09/dating-app-exclusively-people-went-private-school-7452900/

Imagine using a fish knife to slice pizza laden with pineapple.

A fish knife has to be the most pointless implement ever invented.
    Not if you're eating a whole fish....
    Mortimer said:

Oooh, now this will be popular. Nothing worse than going on a date with a pleb, I'll dump anyone who doesn't know what a fish knife is.

http://metro.co.uk/2018/04/09/dating-app-exclusively-people-went-private-school-7452900/

Pah! It's perfectly possible to remove the flesh from the bones of whole fish with a standard knife and fork. Fish knives are just a vulgar middle-class Victorian affectation (IMO).
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Completely off topic - just spent over 3k on 2 "bells and whistles" gaming pc's only to find that the wi fi card provided is absolutely shite.

Basically anything from strategy games to first person shoot em ups and racing games - but reinstalling them from steam is not happening tonight
    Someone should do a Brexit game.
    Rule one

The player representing the UK shall hold all the cards throughout the first part of the game.

Rule Two

No player representing the EU will be allowed to hold the Trump Cards at any point up to March 2019 (except for the final moments of the game).

Rule three

If the player representing the UK is unhappy with the progress of the game a GE may be called at short notice

ETC ETC
    Claps
    Is that the Donald Trump rule??
  • Options
    chloechloe Posts: 308
    Foxy said:

chloe said:

Foxy said:

chloe said:

AndyJS said:

Labour are defending a 9 vote majority in the Hale ward on Barnet council. The population is about 20% Jewish. Ed of course was Labour leader at the last election in 2014.

One of the current Conservative councillors in this ward, ambitious outgoing housing chair, is not standing again. The other current Conservative councillor for Hale has shifted to a safer seat. This is one of the wards that Labour hope they can take as long as the Jewish problem does not spoil it.
    I see in East Barnet, Lab gained 3 with fairly small majorities. There is only 1, not 3, Greens this time, so reckoned 3 Lab holds. Does this sound reasonable?
    Seems reasonable to me. The other ward to watch is Childs Hill, I think this will either revert to the Lib Dems as it was before 2014 or go entirely Labour.
    Yes, quite a tight 3 way battle, potential for Con losses depending how it shakes out. I don't think Brexit is popular there, this is a different ward but a current Tory candidate:

https://twitter.com/rozgab/status/983833124563030016?s=19
    Borough wide it was about 60% remain.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Foxy said:

Floater said:

kle4 said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

As I've gotten older I've come to appreciate turn based strategy a lot more, as it is something you can play while also eating your dinner - time is more precious now, I need to be more efficient.
    Yep - I do exactly that

Some great ones out there, including:

War in the East
    X com 2
    The operational art of War 4
    Order of Battle
    For old school hex based gaming I can quite recommend Joni Nuutinen series, I think only Android:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Joni+Nuutinen&hl=en_GB&ved=2ahUKEwj50ZuTi7PaAhWqBcAKHcZhCCUQFjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw1yPrJhSr8qV0M1Ena7v5FB
    Superb - thanks - will see if they can be played on my I pad
    Barbarossa is the one to start with, the AI is quite good and hard to defeat. Those damned Russkis just keep on raising new units.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    There is no evidence there of technical incompetence with mail merges; I would have called it a database management issue. And i wouldn't die of surprise if I learnt the recipient had engineered the whole thing, by signing a petition or something, in the hope it would produce this result, which he could then complain about. That seems the least unlikely explanation for that name being attached to a valid postal address.
  • Options
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Pah! It's perfectly possible to remove the flesh from the bones of whole fish with a standard knife and fork. Fish knives are just a vulgar middle-class Victorian affectation (IMO).
    I believe seriously posh people used to eat fish with a pair of forks, which actually sounds quite sensible.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Plan A Gavin Williamson to tell Assad to shut up and go away??
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

There is no evidence there of technical incompetence with mail merges; I would have called it a database management issue. And i wouldn't die of surprise if I learnt the recipient had engineered the whole thing, by signing a petition or something, in the hope it would produce this result, which he could then complain about. That seems the least unlikely explanation for that name being attached to a valid postal address.
    Oh well thats OK then
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Scott_P said:
    Well its no less realistic than everyone asking nicely if we could all just sit down and talk. Frankly, even Williamson (either of the two idiot Williamsons, should the non defence secretary one decide to weigh in) couldn't make that whole area any worse.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Given public hostility or weariness when it comes to any start or escalation in military affairs abroad, I can see her ratings dropping a bit from this, consulting parliament or not.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Well its no less realistic than everyone asking nicely if we could all just sit down and talk. Frankly, even Williamson (either of the two idiot Williamsons) couldn't make that whole area any worse.
    Same said about Libya.

I mean what could be worse than Gadaffi
  • Options
    edited April 2018

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Well its no less realistic than everyone asking nicely if we could all just sit down and talk. Frankly, even Williamson (either of the two idiot Williamsons) couldn't make that whole area any worse.
    Same said about Libya.

I mean what could be worse than Gadaffi
    I really don't think you understood what I was saying, as what I said was not in any way comparable. I wasn't saying further intervention was a good idea because nothing could be worse than Assad. I merely meant Williamson being a stupid loudmouth won't make anything any worse, so who cares if he is one on this.

So no, bigjohn, the same was not said about Libya.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Agreed. Presumably CPHQ will be busy tomorrow scanning their mailshot databases for various rude words.

Reminds me of the poor sot who couldn't be arsed to write his name and address twoce as required on the old DVLC application forms and ended up with a licence in the name of Mr Asa Bove.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Oh well thats OK then
    It's pretty fuckin' far from okay, but I know how I'd choose between a party whose worst fault was database fuckups, and one which is bragging today about reducing its hardcore jew-hating element from 22% to "only" 14%. A sense of proportion is needed.
  • Options
    Submarine sends Submarines to within missile firing distance.

Great I am off to bed.

6 days of snooker with a theatre visit to see 20th Century Boy for me in next week.

Hopefully we dont get to DEFCON 25 until thats finished
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Agreed. Presumably CPHQ will be busy tomorrow scanning their mailshot databases for various rude words.

Reminds me of the poor sot who couldn't be arsed to write his name and address twoce as required on the old DVLC application forms and ended up with a licence in the name of Mr Asa Bove.
    :lol:
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,291
    edited April 2018
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Given public hostility or weariness when it comes to any start or escalation in military affairs abroad, I can see her ratings dropping a bit from this, consulting parliament or not.
    It could go either way depending on the action and the post action consequences

These decision are immensely difficult but would rather TM did it then Corbyn's utterly naive idea of a cup of tea with everyone in Geneva
  • Options
    Has the ability to edit your own posts gone? Can't seem to correct a typo in my last one.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    Not a bet I would place
  • Options

Has the ability to edit your own posts gone? Can't seem to correct a typo in my last one.

It's there, but invisible - hover over where the edit button should be and you can do so.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,076

Hover your mouse in the top right of your comment until an options box appears and then click on it.
  • Options

Still there if you tap in top right corner
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    I am not so sure if it is contained and an appropriate response maybe.However if it escalates to war, each side losing , planes , ships and personnel.The mood will change .
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

I always thought the object was to avoid the lingering smell spoiling enjoyment of other foods, by having identifiably separate implements, rather than specifically to make eating the fish any easier?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150
    86 year old Thomas Pickering and 84 year old Vladimir Posner debating Putin and Trump on R4 now. A better and more coherent discussion could not be had.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    May is an idiot if she doesn't give parliament a vote on military action.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    I am not so sure if it is contained and an appropriate response maybe.However if it escalates to war, each side losing , planes , ships and personnel.The mood will change .
    I don't think the public are exactly going to be clamouring for action in any case - whether the response the government takes is reasonable or not, or has extended consequences or not, I would guess an immediate dampening of some enthusiasm - such things don't get people excited and automatically supportive, if they ever did.
  • Options

Not for me (Firefox on a Macbook Air).

• Options
    Re Barnet

Does anyone have details as to how the Jewish proportion of each ward has changed in recent years ?

IIRC AndyJS had the details on the changes between 2001 and 2011.

Actually it might be useful to see how the demographics changed generally in the Barnet wards.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Britons are split on UK military action in Syria - but oppose it if it means conflict with Russia, a Sky Data poll reveals.

Asked in general about UK military action in response to the alleged chemical attack in Syria, 36% support it and 37% oppose it - 9% answer neither, 18% don't know.

But asked if they would support military action if it results in conflict with Russia, opposition rises to 48% and support falls to 28%, with 10% answering neither, 13% don't know."

https://news.sky.com/story/poll-britons-baulk-at-conflict-with-russia-over-syria-11326620
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Don 't tell him your name Pike.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Why? It isn't a requirement, and it'd just be an exercise in grandstanding and potentially a lost vote, nothing to gain politically, and the public will forget about it all very quickly unless a full scale war involving wider powers breaks out. And nothing to gain politically or publicly even if she gets backing in a vote - it never harmed the opposition last time, and the public don't give the government benefit of the doubt just because a vote happened if it turns into a mess later.

And whether the action is right or wrong doesn't really get impacted by whether parliament votes for it or not.

• Options
    edited April 2018

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

These decision are immensely difficult but would rather TM did it then Corbyn's utterly naive idea of a cup of tea with everyone in Geneva
    Interesting polling:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/984150100896288769?s=19

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/984150198023786505?s=19

I must admit to being surprised that conflict with Russia is quite so popular.
  • Options
    William_HWilliam_H Posts: 346
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    I doubt it'll shift things much, we're used to bombing that part of the world and I'd guess we're just chipping in a few missiles and bombs as a symbolic part of a wrist slap.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Interesting polling:

As I said when this poll came out if the question was should we join our allies to knock out chemical weapon production in Syria as put forward by Macron there would be a good majority for it.

It is always down to wording
  • Options
    Re Syria

Has Germany offered any assistance or is Merkel doing her customary disappearing act when trouble arises ?

She might at least have the manners to offer a financial contribution.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

People may have a different picture in their minds of what 'conflict' would mean in that context than others.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Submarine sends Submarines to within missile firing distance.

Great I am off to bed.

6 days of snooker with a theatre visit to see 20th Century Boy for me in next week.

Hopefully we dont get to DEFCON 25 until thats finished

Defcon 25 would be great .... Defcon 1 is the one you should worry about
  • Options

Only if it escalates ,to what must be defined as war , if Russia responds by attacking planes , ships , submarines , delivering missiles.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Interesting polling:

Perhaps its from people who don't want football on tv this summer.
  • Options

Re Syria

Has Germany offered any assistance or is Merkel doing her customary disappearing act when trouble arises ?

She did condemn the use of chemical weapons but the fact Saudi has told Macron they are on board as are Israel is more significant
  • Options

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

To be honest big g , sometimes I wish we could sit it out .Like the scandavian countries or Switzerland and just be a mid ranking European country.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Floater said:

Foxy said:

Floater said:

kle4 said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

As I've gotten older I've come to appreciate turn based strategy a lot more, as it is something you can play while also eating your dinner - time is more precious now, I need to be more efficient.
    Yep - I do exactly that

Some great ones out there, including:

War in the East
    X com 2
    The operational art of War 4
    Order of Battle
    For old school hex based gaming I can quite recommend Joni Nuutinen series, I think only Android:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Joni+Nuutinen&hl=en_GB&ved=2ahUKEwj50ZuTi7PaAhWqBcAKHcZhCCUQFjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw1yPrJhSr8qV0M1Ena7v5FB
    Superb - thanks - will see if they can be played on my I pad
    Barbarossa is the one to start with, the AI is quite good and hard to defeat. Those damned Russkis just keep on raising new units.
    You would need to invest a lot of time but Gary Grigsby's war in the East on pc is a masterpiece

Weekly turns - I have just finished campaign starting mid 1942 as Russians and captured Berlin in January 1944.

Just restarted with the campaign starting 1941 - Even with limited usable units first couple of turns so many options about how to defend and delay the oncoming German fascist hoards.
  • Options

Re Barnet

Does anyone have details as to how the Jewish proportion of each ward has changed in recent years ?

Actually it might be useful to see how the demographics changed generally in the Barnet wards.

Search for the ward profiles on Barnet Councils website.
  • Options

Re Syria

"As of 31 December, 2016, The total number of Syrians in Germany reached 637,845"
    – Wikipedia
  • Options
    She has in the past - so possibly if it's a stock picture
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited April 2018
    https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/984184086662172674

She thinks this is going to be her "Falklands", doesn't she?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Interesting polling:

Popular might not really be the best word for it.
  • Options
    The caption is that she was at a Sikh temple in Walsall.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Re Syria

"As of 31 December, 2016, The total number of Syrians in Germany reached 637,845"
    – Wikipedia
    What of it ?

Merkel invited them in and is now trying to force other countries to take a share of them.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836

Re Barnet

Overall, the Jewish population increased from just under 15% to just over 15%, between 2001 and 2011.
  • Options
    chloe said:

Re Barnet

Here is the link:

https://www.barnet.gov.uk/citizen-home/council-and-democracy/council-and-community/ward-profile-reports.html

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231
    Scott_P said:

https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/984184086662172674

She thinks this is going to be her "Falklands", doesn't she?

She looks nothing like Galtieri in that photograph.
  • Options
    No, she was at a Sikh temple celebrating Vaisakhi
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231
    Scott_P said:
    More wealth transferred from the poor to the rich.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Corbyns bribe a bit niche to his core vote of inner city chavs innit ? Doesn’t he have their vote sewn up already ? People hate buses - only use em when there is naff all else. Should be getting our porky kids onto bikes not encouraging them to sit on their rears on vehicles spewing out diesel fumes. He really is Mr 1970s...
  • Options

Thanks.

I'm thankful we've been spared Boris looking like the Khasi of Khalabar.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    unsurprisingly they intend to pay for it using money already allocated elsewhere.

Wow, never saw that coming.....
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

To be honest big g , sometimes I wish we could sit it out .Like the scandavian countries or Switzerland and just be a mid ranking European country.
    I share that sentiment but we are where we are and I would not like the responsibilty that TM has to carry at present but that is the job description. I hope if the cabinet authorises the strike it is exactly as Macron has stated in so far as to take out the chemical weapon facilities
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Re Barnet

Overall, the Jewish population increased from just under 15% to just over 15%, between 2001 and 2011.
    It varies considerably by ward.

Edgeware, FCE, Gdn Sub, Golders Green and Hendon are the most Jewish, but are already in the safe Con column in my book, the swing wards much less so.
  • Options
    hmmmm - fake news?

Fars News agency in Iran has reported that an unknown number of 'British military men' have been captured in Syria after infiltrating 'in collaboration with terrorists and NATO forces'

• Options
    Scott_P said:
    Another handout? People love those.

Come election time, if you are satisfied enough with party a, it doesn't matter if party b is promising more than they can provide.
  • Options
    chloe said:

Re Barnet

Thanks.

I've had a look through some of them:

https://www.barnet.gov.uk/citizen-home/council-and-democracy/council-and-community/ward-profile-reports.html

Two things which struck me is firstly that Barnet looks to be a lot less affluent than I thought it was and secondly nearly half of Barnet school do not speak English as the first language in their home.

Labour taking overall control of the council is only a question of time - if not this year then 2022 should be a certainty.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    So it looks like the Tornadoes will get one last outing. What a fool Cameron was to scrap the Harrier force instead.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Come election time, if you are satisfied enough with party a, it doesn't matter if party b is promising more than they can provide.
    Somewhat strange time to announce it, four years before an election?

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,426
    edited April 2018

Thanks.

Take your pick

or

• Options
    alex. said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Local elections in May - another bribe to the young
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Re Barnet

How does that compare with non-Jewish White British ?

I imagine that having a critical mass of synagogues, Jewish schools, Kosher butchers etc is what has kept the Jewish population so high.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Something in the ongoing Syria situation is not computing. I'm just wondering if the US is not so much building its position as much as hesitating, hoping that big talk gets some kind of climbdown in Moscow (forget about Assad he's a nothing figure in this emerging situation).

Just a hunch as I don't understand where Moscow can do a climbdown that allows the US to back off.

As regards the UK submarines being directed with range. Plural?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Re Barnet

Edgeware, FCE, Gdn Sub, Golders Green and Hendon are the most Jewish, but are already in the safe Con column in my book, the swing wards much less so.
    Barnet Labour Party members were at the anti- semitism marches. There are a number of Jewish Labour candidates.
  • Options
    alex. said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

It helps, I would imagine, to have been promising it for awhile so it is not too obviously an election grabbing stunt. Plus there are locals to consider anyway.

But in any case I was making a more generic point about affordability of policies not being that important.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Re Barnet

I imagine that having a critical mass of synagogues, Jewish schools, Kosher butchers etc is what has kept the Jewish population so high.
    60% of Barnet residents describe themselves as white British, and 20% as white other. I am not sure how much of the white other are Jewish, or how much white EU, as this would be self assessment.
  • Options
    Ha!

To borrow a line, the universe is filled with infinite possibilities and untold wonders, but I would be skeptical of that claim.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    Y0kel said:

Something in the ongoing Syria situation is not computing. I'm just wondering if the US is not so much building its position as much as hesitating, hoping that big talk gets some kind of climbdown in Moscow (forget about Assad he's a nothing figure in this emerging situation).

Just a hunch as I don't understand where Moscow can do a climbdown that allows the US to back off.

I think Trump's tweets were intended to indicate to Russia that he wanted to offer them a way to back down too. It's understandable that the US would be reticent as the stakes are the highest they could be.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Trouble is with the threats and boasts on both sides last 24 hours - edging away from action appears harder today than it was yesterday.
  • Options

Thanks.

Take your pick

or

Is there a reason why the visitors always wear bright orange turbans ?

He looks like he's going to a Battle of the Boyne day parade afterwards.
  • Options
    chloe said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Re Barnet

Barnet Labour Party members were at the anti- semitism marches. There are a number of Jewish Labour candidates.
    I am sure that you are right.

I am not at all convinced that the recent row will be the determining factor in how voters decide. There are too many other issues, and sophisticated communities are not easily shepherded in any particular direction.
  • Options
    Amusingly one of my colleagues flew out tonight on a business trip - not to the region.

However, he is taking his family on holiday to Cyprus when he returns in a week.

His wife rang office and asked how close Cyprus was to Syria.

Ever helpful he said it's closer than Cornwall is to our house.....

I don't think he calmed her down much :-)
  • Options
    Foxy said:

chloe said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Re Barnet

I am not at all convinced that the recent row will be the determining factor in how voters decide. There are too many other issues, and sophisticated communities are not easily shepherded in any particular direction.
    It should be pretty easy for many people, even if concerned, to justify voting for their own local candidate, if they think they are a good sort.
  • Options

Thanks.

Take your pick

or

Well, Sikhs are most definitely not Catholic!
  • Options
    Just realised Labour have been lucky

Barry Gardiner still in a job after admitting their Brexit position was "bollocks"

• Options

Thanks.

Take your pick

or

Orange turbans represent wisdom.

Blue turbans mean you are a soldier.

Sikh turbans are distinctive in how tightly they are wrapped. The color of the turban is significant — a blue turban represents a soldier, while orange is for wisdom. Black is common and practical, especially for those living in cooler climates.

http://www.post-gazette.com/life/fashion/2015/01/19/Turbans-mean-different-things-to-different-groups/stories/201501190002
  • Options
    Foxy said:

chloe said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Re Barnet

I think it is local issues that will matter e.g.: poorly performing outsourced services, library closures, Ofsted’s recent inadequate judgement for children social care services.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Re Barnet

60% of Barnet residents describe themselves as white British, and 20% as white other. I am not sure how much of the white other are Jewish, or how much white EU, as this would be self assessment.
    There will also be Irish and Turkish communites as well.

Do people of Turkish heritage describe themselves as White Other or Asian Other ? And do those of Turkish heritage and Turkish Cypriote heritage differ ?
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Not for me (Firefox on a Macbook Air).

Nor me (Macbook / Safari)
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    kle4 said:

alex. said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

It helps, I would imagine, to have been promising it for awhile so it is not too obviously an election grabbing stunt. Plus there are locals to consider anyway.

But in any case I was making a more generic point about affordability of policies not being that important.
    Well maybe. But I don't think using Vehicle excise duty to pay for subsidised travel is exactly a universal vote winner. People grudgingly accept that vehicle taxation is necessary to pay for the roads etc that they drive on. They might even accept the argument that it should pay for public transport improvements which contribute to reducing the pressure on the roads network. But using it to pay for subsidies for a small segment of the population. Not an automatic vote winner, i think.
  • Options

Thanks.

Take your pick

or

Orange turbans represent wisdom.

Blue turbans mean you are a soldier.

Sikh turbans are distinctive in how tightly they are wrapped. The color of the turban is significant — a blue turban represents a soldier, while orange is for wisdom. Black is common and practical, especially for those living in cooler climates.

http://www.post-gazette.com/life/fashion/2015/01/19/Turbans-mean-different-things-to-different-groups/stories/201501190002
    Doesn't explain why Boris is wearing an orange one. :smile:
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    edited April 2018
    Floater said:

Y0kel said:

Trouble is with the threats and boasts on both sides last 24 hours - edging away from action appears harder today than it was yesterday.
    Indeed. There may be other reasons. It may be that resourcing needs completing, though the US has enough strike power in region. It could be that the US is waiting on the mighty contributions of the UK and France to actually turn up. It could be enabling the Russians to actually get offside or it could all be a ruse, the plans have been approved and this thing runs 24 hours before anyone thought it would.

I'd be relatively comfortable that if the strikes were heavy but short that Russia wouldn't do a thing of note but if the objective is to punish those in the Assad camp to the point where the chucking of poison gas mixes out of choppers was just not worth it, then cant be anything but heavy and possibly have some controversial targeting.

There are other weapons beyond overt force, the shuttling of US supported militias around Eastern Syria towards Deir Ezzor might indicate again a strategy of causing pain to the Assad regime through stretching resources and opening new fronts..
This discussion has been closed.